Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
guinness33

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

my first sampling of a stone brew was a decidedly good one. the arrogant bastard ale was most definitely a big beer, but not as big as the bottle or other reviews had lead me to believe. mind you, this brew is not necessarily for the faint of heart, but it won't knock you on your ass with no hope for recovery either. it pours a dark, dark reddish brown colour with a nice tan head that lasts and lasts and lasts. there is a dominant spicy smell here along with toasted hops and a sweetness which is not as apparent in the taste, where the toasted flavours dominate a complex flavour scheme that does have that sweet but slightly bitter finish to it. this one most definitely gets better as it warms, so let it sit out for a while if it's wicked cold from being in your fridge. a most enjoyable brew overall.

11-03-2003 22:24:18 | More by guinness33
CBFanWish

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I have wanted to try this for a long time. The bottle tried to hurt my feelings, but it failed, for it was wrong. I do like this beer. A lot. A copper colored beer with a sweet yet bitter taste. Very hoppy and nicley malted at the same time for a near perfectly balanced brew. The alcohol was just the right level. The warm feeling it left made me decide to drink a lot of this this winter.

11-01-2003 15:51:09 | More by CBFanWish
frank4sail

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Pale amber look with a nice white head with good retention. carmel malt sweetness on the tongue initially. This malt taste is then cut with a slightly astringent citrus hop wave. Quite smooth and drinkable. It went well with the mussles and friets at Eulogy.

10-31-2003 02:59:14 | More by frank4sail
byrd

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Dark copper-brown in color with a very nice frothy, 3/4in head that has nice retention. The head is quite sticky, and holds to the sides of the glass. Slight haze is noticeable, but it’s tough to tell through the fairly dark color. Lots of malty caramel notes are noticeable during the pour. Once in the glass, the aroma of malts is still apparent, but hops stand out more - citrusy, grapefuity hop aromas that are quite clean and somewhat sweet. Nice smooth caramel maltiness up front. Then a bit of citric hops picks up with roasted notes being more noticeable towards the end. Roasted notes linger in the back of the mouth after the finish. Some sweet hop notes are also noticeable towards the end. The body is medium to full with not much carbonation, but the hop bite seems to make up for that. A slight hint of alcohol is noticeable, but doesn’t hinder the flavor any. Nice brew, well balanced, and quite drinkable. Definitely lives up to its reputation.

10-24-2003 16:26:25 | More by byrd
Itlan

4.38/5  rDev +5%

As few months ago I would have rated this beer a 3.0 based on the amount of alcohol. What I've found over the summer is that this beer is extremely cravable. It does look great in the glass. You can always spot your Arrogant Bastard (ABA) in a crowd of beers.

The smell is distinctive and strong but not overwhelming. So far, just by sight and smell, you know it's going to be good. Taste, well on a hot day when you want to cool off, the taste is perfect. A strong thirst quenching ale. On a cold day, the first sip comes off as strong and it takes a couple to get re-introduced to the beer. In fact, you almost need someone to introduce you to your first ABA in order to fully appreciate the beer. I have found that ABA goes better with friends.

Mouthfeel - ABA hits the mouth hard at first. You know it's there and it sends the beer senses tingling. After the first sip, it just feels right.

Drinkability - well I'm a light-weight drinker but even I can power down two of these. Now a word of caution, ABA goes down well after drinking other types of beer but if you drink it first, other beers don't always work as followers. I find that ABA on tap is more drinkable than out of the bottle. It does pair well with food, especially the finger food sort.

My conversion came after attending the Stone 7th anniversary party this summer. After a few of these in the hot sun, I was converted to ABA. Enjoy!

10-22-2003 21:53:02 | More by Itlan
saltydog

Appearence: Reddish amber color, very clear, big, foaming head when poured, which took quite some time to fade, leaving lace behind. Smell: Massively heavy hops. Some caramalt malt aroma is in the background if you look for it. Taste: a malty sweetness battles with a heavy resinous hop soup, and eventually loses out. Mouthfeel is tingly, with hop bitterness finishing out. Drinkability: An aggressive, memorable beer. I'm not really a big hophead, but this is very well-made and succeeds at what it aims for.

10-20-2003 01:36:44 | More by saltydog
Scoats

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Jeez Louise is this beer bangin! It begins with a big up=front hoppiness with a wonderful simultaneious underlying chocolateliness. Then it is all big IBUs from there. This is an amazingly constructed beer. This is much more than just a big hop beer; it has a lot going on underneath.

10-15-2003 20:15:26 | More by Scoats
gnaussea

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Reviewing it at a 4, I still urge you not to be fooled by my numbers. I review harshly. While back in the day I loved stone IPA, but saw arrogant bastard a bit over the top and not quite as balanced, after picking it back up I must say I was wrong. If your pallette has been broken in to good IPA's, you will find the bitterness of this beer very refreshing and not overbearing. For you people who are thrown off by the bitterness, I asure you, there are other flavors here. A dash of caramel, a bit of fruitiness near the end, and the hint of spice interlaced with the hops that you come to expect from a good stone brew. Cheers!

10-15-2003 01:10:52 | More by gnaussea
Gavage

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

The ale arrived sporting a lovely dark amber color with a perfect off-white head. The aroma was good, with some hoppiness being the strong effect on the nose.This has a fantastic malt and hop balance that has your tastebuds wanting more. The sweetness and bitterness lasted together on the tongue well after the swallow. A nice lace formed on the glass as the ale was being emptied from the glass. Very drinkable and overall a great product.

10-02-2003 21:20:21 | More by Gavage
winomark

Missouri

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Deep copper/red hue. Thin, beady head

Aroma: Hop oil is dominant, giving an almost pine resin aroma. Very little hint of malt in the nose.

Taste: Massive hop bitterness, with some malt giving a balance to the almost overpowering hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol richness on the palate, but "balanced" with the hops and malt.

Drinkability: Overall, one of my new favorite beers. Not sure of my worthiness, but this is a beer that makes the trip to my house whenever it can. Stone = good beer.

10-01-2003 00:07:27 | More by winomark
DESTRO

Nevada

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

everything the bottle is, but a little less intense. still has the sweet malt paired against the harsh hop character, it just seems a tad more tame. that may be good or bad, depends on the dirnker, but since this IS "arrogant bastard" it takes it down a notch.

09-27-2003 19:14:12 | More by DESTRO
rabidawg

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Deep ruby chestnut with perfect carbonation. Nice soft head that stuck until the end, leaving substantial lacing.

Smell: Wonderful floral hops well balanced by an earthy, yet sweet, malt background. Nice citrusy hop nose, with an almost candy (caramelized sugar) tone. Smells like a homebrew boiling.

Taste: Sharp, juicy hops at first, followed by dark, rich roasty malts. Finishes dry with a lingering hop bitterness. Alcohol is evident in the finish, nicely tying things up. But the hops, the beautiful hops, they linger . . . .

Notes: I first tried this about three years ago, and I definitely was *not* worthy. After trying it again, I'm already aching to prove my worth with another bomber.

09-23-2003 02:06:06 | More by rabidawg
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

This brewery has a unique marketing approach, definitely read the bottle as you drink this one. This beer for all of the hype is quite balanced between the hops and the malt. Definitely hop flavor, aroma and bitterness crawling all over the place in this one, but a nice strong maltiness & sweetness that carries the hop brigade quite well. This is a great beer that is a nice amber color.

09-22-2003 16:29:54 | More by Gueuzedude
Ellbert

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My very first Arrogan Bastard Ale. I was a little intimidated going into this beer knowing how robust it is. I found it to be great. It looked awesome smelled awesome and tasted awesome. There is nothing more that I can say about the ABA that anyone else has said. So Drink up and save a bomber for me.

09-22-2003 01:15:00 | More by Ellbert
faernt

4.63/5  rDev +11%

I just opened this beer and sat down to read the forum. I've had it before and bought more because it tastes good. Well I have to stop and review it now. It's an IPA but it's more. I went through a hophead phase and am now into the malt. the IPA scene doesn't speak to me. But this Arrogant Bastard does. This beer is hoppy! It's also sweet and bitter and thick. It smells bittersweet. OK it's the bittersweet taste that makes this beer so beguiling.

It's well-made. It has a beautiful head that, if poured roughly, becomes somewhat rocky. The small bubbled head creates irregular lace down the glass. I am using a chalice. The dark copper color is very clear.The smell is hoppy but then the bittersweet comes into play. Is this one playing with unfermentables as a primary influence? I'm no homebrewer but it makes me want to know why this beer works this way.
There is body here. I suppose I should call it mouthfeel but it is so substantial.
It is attractive. I bought it again because it continued to remind me of how complex a beer can be.

09-20-2003 03:05:06 | More by faernt
beernbbq

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Probably one of the best of its ilk. Delicious all the way around from the hops on top to the sweet malt and the heady alcohol. Sort of a HopDevil on steroids. An awesome beer and thanks again to Shoreline beverage for their selection. Gots to get me some mo!

09-18-2003 20:02:50 | More by beernbbq
Seumas

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

I may not be worthy, but I've got this thing about sweet, high-test beers.

This was definitely a beer I wanted to enjoy more than I did. It has everything I like, big body and big hops. Unfortunately it also has a fair bit of residual sweetness, which I don't much like outside a Scotch or Old Ale.

Dry it out a bit and it'd be magnificent.

09-10-2003 13:44:15 | More by Seumas
cerevisiaephilus

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer certainly belongs in the ranks with SN's Celebration and Rogue's Santa's Special Reserve. It is a large beer, bigger than either of these two I think. Huge hops that sit solidly on a massive malt edifice make for a very enjoyable beverage all around. However more than a couple of these from the 22oz bottles make appreciating them fairly difficult.

Very cool bottle as well.

09-05-2003 17:38:53 | More by cerevisiaephilus
Winter

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear ruby-brown with a thick light brown head. Thick sheets of lacing down the side of the glass. Aroma consists of citrusy hops, malt, some dark fruit, dark rum and has a sweetness to it. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. A firm bitterness is present throughout. Nice caramel malt background. Hop bitterness and malt flavor seem to balance each other out rather well. Warming alcohol effect is noticed as the ale goes down. Excellently crafted. I only wish this was available in Wisconsin on a regular basis and that I didn't have to travel 2 hours to track down a bottle.

09-03-2003 12:39:03 | More by Winter
Mustard

District of Columbia

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Presentation: 22oz. brown bomber; no "bottled on" or "best before" warning; btw, the $2.99 I paid for this tells me I'm worthy.

Appearance: Pours a clear, amber-tinged, honey brown with a fat, two-fingered, mocha-colored head; fine, sheet style lacing; very good head retention.

Aroma: Largely of thick, toasted malts complimented by citrusy, piney hops.

Taste: Fierce, toasted, caramel malts upfront and throughout; heavy, aggressive hop bitterness in the finish; sweet; notes of toffee, grapefruit and pine; faint overtones of cherry-like fruits. Medium thick body; smooth-to-chewy mouthfeel.

Notes: Absolutely delicious. Great beer worthy of me.

09-03-2003 07:12:38 | More by Mustard
Enygma

4.38/5  rDev +5%

This is my first tasting of this beer, or any Stone brew for that matter, and I thought it would be a fitting first review.

Appearance: Thick and deep amber. Somewhat small head, though it has beautiful lace and quite remarkable retention.

Smell: Hops, hops and more hops. fantastic smell, with many beautiful estery notes and a trace hint of the alcohol that lies within.

Taste: Medium bodied, with a very nice mouthfeel. The malty sweetness is quite inviting, and then overthrown by the aggressive hops. Slightly dry finish leaving hints of grains and malt sweetness, and of course the unforgettable hoppiness on the back of your tongue.

Overall: Fantastically complex brew, and quite fantastic overall. I can't imagine drinking a ton of this beer, it's certainly not a session brew. However, at the same time I don't think I could ever see myself leaving a drop in the bottom of the glass. In all an extremely hoppy brew, and yet very well balanced.

09-02-2003 23:17:47 | More by Enygma
Running4beer

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Whoa Hot Damn this beer is good and weird in a good way(can something be weird in a good way?) Anyways...Pours out dark amber reddish highlights, thin off white head that ends up turning into a sticky lace that hangs around until you done with this brew....Aroma was spicy and hoppy and some kind of fruit that I can't tell what it is. Taste is wow some fruit, definetly has hops, chocolate or carmel malts, a smokey taste as well and a hint of alcohol. The mouth feel was smooth with a slight carbonation, medium bodied but very good. I could drink a sixer of this stuff but after 3 I'll probably be shit faced to the max, very good stuff.

Everytime I see an Arrogant Bastard brew these words come out of my mouth " Get in my belly" with a Fat Bastard scottish accent..

08-30-2003 17:11:49 | More by Running4beer
tar

Bahamas

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

From the 22 oz. bottle pours a dark brown (slightly red when held up to light) beer with a somewhat foamy off-white thickish head. A good looking beer. The aroma is rather mild, it has some spiciness to it, but is fairly unimpressive. Nice complex taste--some spiciness, but also tastes of sweet malt, bitter hops, and fruit. Becomes more flavorful as it warms and the complexity really comes out. A very good tasting beer. Fairly smooth and drinkable--overall a pretty good beer (especially in terms of taste) although it does not seem to live up to its own hype on the label, which I guess makes sense for an Arrogant Bastard.

08-28-2003 15:09:52 | More by tar
BrewDoctor

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

After a nice 5 mile run through Central Park, I decided to head over to the Gingerman for a few new beers. Unfortunately, no buddies were around so it was a solo trip. After reviewing the menu extensively, the Stone products caught my eye as I have a hard time finding them in CT.

After all the hype, I settled on the Arrogant Bastard for my introduction and man - it was like a surprise party! I didn't have a pen and paper so this is from memory... which may have been altered after 20 oz. of this beast.

Bastard has a beautiful deep amber color dominated by red highlights. The appearance is smooth and the modest, lightly colored head fades quickly.

After 3 attempts to seize the aroma of this brew, I came up with a blank each time. I simply didn't smell anything. Hell, maybe I was a bit stuffed up that day, but usually the sniffer is pretty good. Either way, I prefer to drink a beer through my mouth.

Wow ... Hops! Tasty, fresh, lovely, hops! At first, it takes control of your mouth and leaves little room for other flavors. Be patient, the caramel malt flavor creeps out to balance the hop explosion. Overall, the flavor and mouthfeel are wonderful.

This beer is definitely not for the weak. It’s powerful and aggressive in taste and ABV. After 20 oz and a 5 mile, run – this brew went straight to my head.

A great brew that I look forward to enjoying again in the future.

08-28-2003 15:00:15 | More by BrewDoctor
RoyalT

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance – Simply gorgeous. The deep, shiny brown flavor held some ruby coloring, and the brownish head built well (not overly so), and went down sensually.

Smell – The hops come out right away in this one. They are raw and aggressive, as if they are still in the ground. There’s a hint of something fruity as well, although I wasn’t able to make it out. It’s very sugary, like a carrot or maybe something man made (perhaps highly refined table sugar).

Taste – How did I not pick up the malt in the nose? I assumed that I was in for an unbalanced hop attack, yet the balance is amazing. This is unbelievable!

This one is a perfect mix of hops, malts, fruits, and sugars, and boy are they big. There’s a ton of fun in this bottle. The aromatic floral hops are evenly complimented by quality malts, sugars, and about a hundred different fruits. You could spend all day calling these ones out.

Mouthfeel – Little carbonation but a fine, smoothy foaminess on the cheeks. This one is very lively, yet not overpoweringly so.

Drinkability – I can’t stop drinking this beer.

Comments – I’m sure that it’ll label me the green newbie with his eyes caught in the headlights, but I’m falling all over myself drinking this beer. This will replace my cocaine/crack/tobacco/heroin/pot/obsessive-compulsive knuckle-cracking habits all at once. Why would I hit the pipe when I could tap the Bastard?

Seriously, this one is astounding. These guys have to be Stone crazy. The oak-aged Arrogant Bastard reviews certainly have my interest at this point. The, “Fluid malten beast,” (Classic Coke) just made a new fan.

08-22-2003 02:55:40 | More by RoyalT
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.