1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: Dark brown with ruby hues. A very small head forms, but remains and is velvety smooth. Sticks readily to the glass.

Smell: An oily hop and nutty aroma. Very fruity.

Taste: Very oily hops. A nutty aftertaste. Sweet and fruity. I don't understand the label, I LOVE this...and I'm probably not that sophisticated either.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. A little astringent. A bit of warming after swallowed, but any alcohol taste is hidden.

Drinkability: Very good and drinkable. This beer is much better than I expected, and I expect a lot from stone.

cracgor, Jun 23, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

This is from a 22oz bottle. It has a reddish chestnut hue and a generous head. It smells predominantly of blackcurrant with maybe a hint of vinegar, liquorice and blackberry.

This tastes wonderful. First I notice a treacle/liquorice flavour and then a sweet berry rush fills my mouth and the carbonation seems to make it explode in slow motion before giving way to the treacle malt flavour and then leaving a subtle, but acrid liquorice infused hoppy aftertaste. That sounds like something that would make you sick, but I swear it's marvellous.

Good stuff, but you'll only need one bottle.

charlatan, Jun 18, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Dark brown with dense tan head that has wonderful lacing.

S: Fruity, almost like a citrus, yet hints of hops surface as well.

T: This ale starts off sweet and finishes with a wonderful bitter flavor of hops. Just before the bitterness hits, you can detect its alcohol on the palate. The initial flavor matches the aroma quite well, but that aftertaste was unexpected and definitely makes this beer. If you like hops, this is one of those must tries.

M: For such a bitter beer, it is very smooth.

D: Very drinkable, but be forewarned; its 7.2% alcohol could definitely turn you into an arrogant bastard, if overdone.

Naes, Jun 18, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Gotta say, I love this beer. Have had it many, many times, and it always satisfies.

It pours a deep ruby red, with a tawny head that looks like it's sprinkled with cinnamon. Great head retention, it looks pillowy.

The smell is inviting and powerful. A blend of deep, warming sweetness with a twangy hoppiness that both intermingle and form an extreme yet balanced aroma.

Taste is rather malty at first, a sort of bready warmth to it. Some medicinal flavors in there, along with a noticeable alcohol heat to it. The hops are bitter and very abundant, but not in a way that it will offend you. If you are offended by this, you are not worthy, as the bottle states. Grapefruit is the most prominent flavor I can pick out, but there is also a good amount of sweet syrupy goodness. Other fruits and other sweets are also in there, but this brew is very complex and I'm sure this beer has different meanings for different people.

Good smooth mouthfeel, a bit of carbonation, and a whole lot of a punch for your tongue. Very easy to drink, despite the high alcohol. I'd love to sip this all day and get slowly buzzed. A real warmer but still refreshing on a hot day.

Litterbean, Jun 15, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

UPDATE: I have now had this about 5 times since my original review and have found the beer to be much better than my initial review (which had a few 3.5's in it). Funny how a few more sittinggs with a beer and you can catch a lot more of it's subtleties.

Wow, I am really torn on this beer. I hadn't had it in awhile and at first I was in love, it looked so incredible coming out of the bomber, truly a work of art. More (sustainable) head than I was expecting and a great amber ale color.

The smell let me down some, I was waiting for something more than what I got here. It was just sort of flat, not a ton there. (edit: I should note that I think I drank this a t a bit colder temp than I should have which probably inhibited some of the aromatics of this beer)

My second letdown was the taste. This is a beer I really liked, but I think my expectations were a little out of whack based on the rep. I have a bit of trouble scoring this beer based on that initial reaction. All in all, this was a nice bold hoppy beer that did not bowl you over with alcohol taste or smell.

I classify this as a very good, but just short of great beer. I may need a few more bombers before I can say for sure, but I think this will be put into light rotation for me.

NolanGTI, Jun 14, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

A very nice thick off white/light tan head which bloomed quite voracisouly upon pouring. A nice 1/4" layer stuck around for the entire session and left the thickest lacing I have ever seen on any beer. Body was a transparent deep garnet red. I was gonna give a 4.5 for the appearance, but I'm really amazed at the lacing and head retention on this.

Smell has a fairly strong hop presence which includes a good deal of grapefruit. Also included was a good bit of caramel candy sweet malt backbone. Subtle hints of fresh fruits were also present including tangerine.

The taste is hard to define for me. It definately finishes well with a bitter hit of resin hops. There is a good spiciness from this as well. Malt plays a fairly prominant role with bready sweet nuances. This is a very balanced brew. Not as complex as I was expecting, but good overall. Somewhat of a mix between a west coast IPA and a good barleywine.

Mouthfeel is fairly full and coats the mouth well but doesn't linger for too long. A decent amount of carbonation leads to a nice crispness. Drinkability is very good with this one. Flavors are crafted together nicely and the alcohol level is low enough to where two bombers could be enjoyed at a reasonable pace without getting sloppy. A nice refreshing mouthfeel add to making this a highly drinkable beer.

More bottles will be coming home with me in the future. This is only my second Stone brew, and I've been thoroughly impressed thus far.

blitz134, Jun 13, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +17%

Pours deep ruby-red with a brilliant white head. Beautiful.
Deep, rich malty caramel smell, supported by a citrusy hop aroma.
Huge grapefuit up front, followed by a more mellow citrus-caramel malt infusion. Ends with a grapefruit reminiscent tart bitterness. Mmm... Tasty.
Smooth, silky drink that I will come back to again and again. Unfortunately as of now, I have to travel to find this beer. But it is well worth the trip.

nortmand, Jun 11, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

I have always said it, Arrogant Bastard is the best invention in beer that has borne a true American Signature.

Malt!...Hops!....I might have given it back right then, right there if the bottle had not taunted be so. Bold aromas of caramelized malts, sweet dark fruits. Toasty and complcex. Waters the palate.

Deep mohogany in color. Ultimately clear. Dense tan head falls to about 1" and remains. Very nice lacing. A thick pour with medium carbonation.

Imediate assault of an aggressive malt and hop blend. Sweet caramels, figs, dates, a bit of licorice, vanilla, cherries....and a kitchen sink. (it's all in there). Agressive hop flavoring quickly rounds out this full-to-thick bodied delight. Bittering is well within balance of the malt. Complex through the body and gaining through the finish with the higher detection of alcohol. Viscosity to the mouth is not as great as I had expected from the appearance. Finishes nicely, not too drying or tacky for a high gravity or high alcohol beer.

Bittering hops dominate and mask subtle sweetness left in the background. Flavors of those dark fruits linger for quite a while. Well attenuated, melanoiden laiden, yet creamy and full-magical!

The malt bill seems characteristic of a bold Dopplebock, yet hopped with a ton of Chinook- much like an Imperial IPA. A monster yeast gives a complex and rich fruit flavor. It's not a sipper, but we won't be doing keg-stands with this one either. A beer that has won my respect, regardless what the bottle might say.

BEERchitect, Jun 10, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Purchased from Midtown Wine and Spirits, Nashville, TN.

I honestly didn't think I'd like this beer. Perhaps I was swayed by the ad copy on the back of the bottle, but I was thinking that this would be a super-hopped monster that I would personally find very disagreeable, as I am not a big fan of overhoppy beers. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty hoppy brew, but it's not so far out of whack that it's intimidating; in fact, the hops and the fruit flavors actually work pretty well together. This beer deserves its high ranking among beer advocates, and now I only wish I'd bought a couple more of these when I went up to Nashville a couple of weeks ago.

Appearance is, for me, the best part of this beer. Forget the fantastic printed bottle, forget the clever ad copy on the back that informs the potential buyer of how intense this beer is, and just give this beer a nice solid pour into a pint glass. Pours a deep, deep, red color and forms a fantastically creamy head that sticks around for the entire length of the beer, even when topping off the glass from the bottle. Looks almost like a ruby stout, it's so thick and dark -- I was totally impressed by the appearance of this beer, so give it one of my very-rare fives.

Smell is very nice, with a hop character that is very present, and beneath it a nice fruity ester. It made me think of a very bitter apple juice, actually, but I mean it in the best way possible. I didn't get a lot more complexities off the nose, but it was a very nice beer to sniff and I enjoyed it a lot.

Taste is very similar to the nose -- I didn't get any suprises here. Again, reminded me of a very, very bitter apple juice, pleasant as far as it goes, but nothing that knocked my socks off. The beer tasted good and finished clean, leaving little aftertaste, so I'm giving it high marks -- very pleasant.

The mouthfeel was a very nice thing about this beer, as the one real shock I had in store was just how thick this thing was. The beer coated my tongue admirably, swishing it around in my mouth made me realize that the last word I'd use to describe this beer was "watery"; this beer almost felt like syrup going down. Still, it was a cleansing kind of thickness, and left virtually no residue behind. Again, made me think of a nice stout in terms of consistency.

Good high score on drinkability. The clean finish and good taste make it a very easy-drinking beer, but I can't imagine finishing off more than one 22oz bottle of this beer, and probably couldn't even do one if it was very hot outside at that particular moment. Drinkable, enjoyable, but I'm going to stop at just one, thanks.

Next time I'm in Tennessee I'm absolutely going to buy a few bottles of this to keep on-hand. Too expensive to really drink everyday, but it's a nice beer to have for when it's needed. Until I can lay my hands on it again, I guess I'll get buy on Rogue American Amber.

EDIT 06-18-2005

I bought another bottle of this in Fayetteville, and upon another tasting, I've decided to up my "taste" rating from a 4 to a 4.5. Really fantastic taste, nicely balanced between hoppiness and sweet tartness. I only wish this stuff didn't cost six dollars a bottle, and I didn't have to drive forty-five minutes to get it.

danielharper, Jun 09, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Sampling an ABA tonight and surfing BA.com before I hit the sack, my mind wandered and I got to thinking what my original Review made of this monstrous brew when I tried it some 3+ years ago…..oh-oh, where is it, I’m utterly shocked and I simply cannot believe that I have never reviewed this brew, or at least if I did it got deleted LOL!!!

Others come and go, but Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale is *the* one and only staple brew that always has had a place in my fridge since I moved to the USA in September 2001.

The demonic gargoyle looks as good now as it did the first time I did a “double-take” when I clapped eyes on the Bomber three years ago. The screen printed bottle will stand the test of time for sure, and it is no understatement to say that the iconic design of the Arrogant Bastard Ale bottle is to the modern day craft beer scene what Warhol’s Campbell’s Soup tin was to Pop Art.

It’s all been written before, by those who can wax lyrical and are a lot more eloquent & knowledgeable about beer than I, so I won’t even attempt to add anything differential to the staggering amount of nearly 600 Reviews already written.

After you try this, and move onto “bigger” brews, and of course clash swords with its copy-cat followers, it is all too easy to forget what a simply marvelous big-ass raw & complex, yet balanced & refined, brew this really is.

Not a perfect ‘5’, but no complaints here and pretty much a perfect brew for me, well actually, I would add that it is only “improved” IMVHO when Oak-Aged and dispensed from the Cask I feel.

A Path-Finder and a true Stand-Out beer.
Big name, big flavors, big beer, big bastard.

“You’re Not Worthy”…..NO, really, you’re NOT…..

TheLongBeachBum, Jun 07, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -1%

What a hopnose catchable at the start cause off a not overwelming head. Darkbrown beercolor and not 100% clear. Nose is just like a good bag of aromatic hops with litle caramellic and coffeenotes from malt that also must have been used but partly fermented cause an alcoholic hint is there. Taste is proving that malts have been used and raffined into alc and CO2. Roasty, coffee but missing some body before going into a good bitterness. Litle hanging but with this amount... wonderfull. As of course the mouthfeel of a brew like this is, warming and provoking in another sip! Good beer and wuld love to have another one...

paterlodie, Jun 02, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Dark crimson which barely let any light through. Off-white lightly persistent head, very thin. Smells of baker's chocholate, caramel, and a bit of citrus. Malts and barley overwhelm the hops and the taste is almost like the smell. The hops made a strong impression on the finish. No discernable aftertaste and felt very full in the mouth although the carbonation could've been less aggressive. Don't drink too fast though or you'll forget what you were drinking by morning.

packetknife, May 30, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

I absolutely loved this beer. Pours dark brown with reddish highlights. Aroma of caramel, tonnes of hops, dark fruit and toastedness. Delicious beer - sweet, toasty, caramel, dark fruit, tremendous hop flavours. Full bodied, rich, and extremely complex. Hidden alcohol, and very drinkable. Full of flavour and definitely one of the best beers I've had.

baiser, May 30, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

This one came to me by chance. my mother, of all people, brought this one down as a gift from Ohio (since we still can't get a Strong Ale in NC). I held on to it all week until the end of a hard work week. This was well worth the wait.

Pours a terrific reddish-brow hue with a half inch head that would have sat atop if allowed it. Smells of strong floral hops with a bit of alcohol. Great complexity of tastes, including cinnamon, citrus, and caramel. Mouthfeel good, but to be expected with this one. i'll finish the 750 mL, but it's not a session beer.

On the other hand, my wife hated it. As the label says, it's not for everyone.

Backer2004, May 28, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured out a dark ruby/brownish color with a good looking head. Left some lacing on the glass, but not that much. Smell was mostly hops, with a faint aroma of malts and a touch of barley. Taste was almost like the smell, but the malts made more of a difference. Hops explode on the palate at first with a heavy dose of malts and barley coming in the middle and balancing out everything. Hops linger in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was full bodied with a creamy texture, but the hops really linger for a long time. Not for the weak, that's for sure.

necoadam, May 26, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a saturated dark copper color with a tall, finely bubbled tan head. This beer's appearance holds the promise of richness.

Aroma is a nice balance of dark caramel, spicy/citrusy hops and some fruit (hints of fresh fig and blackberry), though ultimately the caramel rules all. Underneath it all is a suggestion of alcohol. Overall it could be more potent, though.

This beer tastes great- lots of potential for cloying here but there is a significant bitterness and alcohol presence to save it. Those qualities from the aroma are here as well- the caramel comes out early but the fruit creeps in at the end and lingers with the very long hoppy finish. Very well put together.

TongoRad, May 25, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Breaking into this style for the first time I checked and found it is a "Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above" As I worked my way to the bottom of this beauty it felt like 7.2 % ABV but far from the high end of the style's range of 25% abv.

American Strong Ale is said to have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales (recent discussion comparing these 2 separate styles rages on the forum while I enjoy this badboy) I searched my back issues of Zymurgy looking for a recipe from the brewers - No doubt a White Lab 007 yeast and Chinook hops in ~70 IBU dose - a little less than Ruination IPA(100+IBUs). But the grains that support such a hop dominate brew were what I was looking for. (# 11.5 pounds pale two-row malt and # 1.5 pounds crystal 120 according to a recipe provided by my friendly local Beerguide) - thanks MJR

Alcoholic taste comming to the front after the taste buds throw in the towel (after the first pint) and the carbonation reduces. Keeps a medium mouthfeel till the end and although finish is dry the bitter Cascade hops give a good aftertaste inviting you back for more. So yummy that I may have 2 bottles tucked into my coffin. So hoppy and still drinkable! Hummm . . . wonder how it would work as imbalming fluid. Maybe a little note tied to the bomber saying: "Here's to ME and more of Stone's Good Stuff" Carpe Diem!

karst, May 24, 2005

Appearance: A deep darkcopper with ruby highlights, the small tan head quickly faded to lace.

Smell: a lively west coast hop aroma backed with some sweet malt.

Taste: A caramelized malt flavor is primary here, with a big hoppy bitterness on the finish. I would gues this has over 50 IBUs. I think this could be characterized as a double IPA without too many complaints.

Mouthfeel: Kind of juicy and cloying, but the carbonation does a good job of wiping that out.

Drinkability: At 7.2 % it can be challenging to drain a 22. But it is very enjoyable beer to drink all the way to the bottom of the bomber.

Overall: Like an American equivalent to the Belgian Dubbel with high alpha acid hops.

HogHill, May 20, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Arrogant Bastard Ale is like a roller coaster ride. It pours a rich dark amber/copper with a one-finger (short lived) head. It's absolutely beautiful in a pint glass. It's aroma is a little on the light side, with an indistinguishable fruitiness. A sip yields a sharp hoppy bite right off the bat, yielding to double-strong coffee and banana, with an extremely dry finish. A good beer.

LiquidBreadMan, May 17, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: rich mahogany body, deep ruby highlights, thin off-white head

Smell: sweet caramel malts, nutty, piney hops; sweet, but nice bitter hop balance; raisiny notes with a rum like alcohol character

Taste: sweet and slightly biscuity malt profile, some lemony and grapefruit hops, raisiny sweetness

Mouthfeel: full body, little carbonation

Drinkability: smooth and easily drinkable

gimmehead, May 15, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -1%

This one is a bastard! It is also incredibly tasty and complex, and quite a bit more drinkable than I expected.

It poured a very dark amber with a two-finger head. It looked so pretty, I almost didn't want to ruin it by drinking it.

The smell was just as robust as the taste. Overwhelmingly malty, but not as hoppy as I expected after reading these reviews.

The taste was like an explosion. I first felt the power of the alcohol and the malt. After letting it sit in my mouth, the hops started to take over, that left a residue in my throat for a few minutes. A very complex beer, but very tasty.

Much more drinkable than one would think for a beer that has a warning that it is not for the faint of heart. I could definitely throw back of a couple of these, enjoying them all the way down.

Lnedrive14, May 11, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

I scored this one on a trip to Arizona. No Stone products in MO...

Pours from a nice bomber with into a chalice- That color is truly beautiful; brownish, reddish, almost tawny port like, with an off- white head. The smell has a coarse citrus background with clear bready/ malty/ grainy smells in there as well... nice. Taste is good; has a nice roast/ toast malt background, with a firm bitterness back there to smack you around; A little harsh, but I'm not sure if that's the hops or the alcohol. Feels smooth in the mouth, and tingles going down almost to the point of a burn that sticks around a bit. Nice complex aftertaste. It would be real easy to pop more than one of these guys open. Not sure it's an everyday beer for me, but damn tasty.

Overall, very interesting and complex. Definitely aggressive and a little unrefined, though. Lacks the smoothness of some other of my favorite ales, but I think that's part of the draw here. On the 'must try' list.

amicar, May 11, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

05/10/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber poured into my Stone IPA tulip. No dates seen on the bottle.

Appearance- Opened to be greeted by a volcanic erruption of beer all over my counter, sink and floor. Damn glad I didn't open in over the carpet. Probably lost a good 4oz or so of quality brew :( Pours a very red-copper color with a large bubbled head which disapates fairly quick. About average lacing.

Smell- Very hoppy with a dark caramel malt scent as well.

Taste- Gee, what a suprise....hops, in a Stone brew? I never expected that! This one is both hoppy and malty at the same time. Like drinking a barleywine with lots of hops, then tasting a sweet caramel on the finish. Very woody flavored hops. A bit of citrus, but mainly pine.

Mouthfeel- More carbonation than expected. Took a while to finish the whole thing. Fairly heavy mouthfeel as well. Very mouthcoating.

Drinkability- Was excited to try this brew for the first time and it held up pretty much to my expectation. I was expecting a bit more of a "spiritual awakening" from it, but, nonetheless, it still is an excellent brew that I'm sure I will be having again in the future. Pretty yummy concoction.

GClarkage, May 11, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

pours a nice mahogany red/brown with a tan cap. looks nice and imposing in my imperial pint glass. the head sticks around forever and nice lacing flows down the glass.

tasty smell of vanilla, nutmeg, citric and overripe, dark fruit. very pleasant and inviting but not as aggressive as i was expecting.

the taste kicks it up a notch with sweet caramel and bread with a slight roast characterstic, plus a powerful hop bite of brite citrus grapefruit and lemon. strong on the hops but not out of control. bitter and flavorful, and possibly over the top but the flavors fit together well.

strong but drinkable if you can take the bitter hops.

studentofbeer, May 10, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Presentation: This beer poured a very dark amber color into a traditional pint glass. There was about a finger-thick head that had reasonably good retention. It looked moderately carbonated. A floral hop aroma was the most prevalent scent on the nose. It wasn't overpowering, however. There were slight hints of malts in the nose as well.

Tasting: As expected, the hops were very strong on the tongue. The bitterness was not unpleasant, however, because the taste was balanced with some malt sweetness. Ester characteristics came across. This was a medium to heavy-bodied beer with slight tinges of alcohol on the tongue. This is a little harder to drink in succession due to the higher alcohol content.

Overall, this was an enjoyable beer, and I would pair it with heartier foods. It's a bold beer that will challenge your taste buds if you aren't really used to over-the-top hoppy beers.

bceaglejoe, May 08, 2005
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.