Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a nearly opaque ruby color, with a thick tan head that's foamy and fizzy and retains extremely well, flattening only very very slowly. Plenty of bubbles working their way to the top. I look at the body and think "barleywine"...I look at the head and think "porter"...I look at the bubbles and think "tripel"...I wonder what this is going to taste like...

Sweet candy-like smell reminds of cherry twizzlers and caramel milkshakes. Later I get a blueberry maple syrup thing. Wow, what an aroma.

All kinds of sweet flavors come to mind once this hits the lips, but the sweetness is not at all hard to take or overbearing. Just well-balanced. I think of all the aromas listed above when sipping this fine ale. The boastful text on the bottle would make this seem like a spikey, extreme and/or high-alcohol beer, but it's none of the above. Just a complex ale with a malty profile that offers a wide variety of candy/fruit type combinations, with hop bitterness and a wheaty heft giving it more depth. I don't taste or smell the insane hops that a lot of other people sense in this beer, but that's the beauty of the Arrogant Bastard: terribly hard to pin down.

Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy, considering the bubbles I saw in the beginning. I wouldn't drink this every day, it's so unique that it strikes me as a special-occasion type thing. But wow, it's delicious. Somewhere between a malt liquor, a double IPA, an old ale and a barleywine...this is another fantastic beer from the creative freaks at Stone. Long may they brew.

Metalmonk, Apr 20, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a crystal clear ruby red color with a tight 3 finger head that lasts forever. Leave a thick lacy film from start to finish.

S- Nice malt aroma with a good amount of hops gives it a fruity floral sent.

T- Nice balance of malt and hops with a hint of caramel, plums and some pepper rolling across my tongue. As this warms it gives me the impression that they have some smoked malts in here.

M-Very heavy full bodied, warming beer almost like an Elglish Old Ale but with alot of hops added, creamy and bitter feel mixed together when its going across my tongue.

D- I wish I get this more often, but Stone hasn't arrived in Florida yet. If I can get a regular supplier of this I will buy more than 2 bottles nest time. Overall a very good beer.

BRoss242, Apr 19, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

This is the first time ever having this beer and I'm reviewing it as I'm drinking it. I have high expectations of this beer I hope it doesn't let me down.

Poured from a 22oz brown bottle into a nonic pint glass

A:pours a lovely dark red with a two finger tan head that is staying up for a good amount of time andleaves very good lacing.

S: first thing that hits me is the hops however it's not a strong hops smell like an IPA but it's certainly noticable. A pine cone and spice aroma accompany this beer as it warms. Also more of an alcohol smell comes to my nose.

T: 1st sip a well balanced hop and malt blend. With a lightly hoppy after taste. few minutes later I taste more malt in this taste then I did in the first, very interesting. Leaves a maltier after taste.
Now it's a balance betweem hops and malt very good. A little later I'm getting a peppery after taste. More time passed and the peppery hops flavor is coming more and more to the front of the taste.

M: Thick feel almost syrupy. leaves the mouth with a nice warming feeling. The feeling falls down the throat. Very nice.

D: I would like to have another one. I can't really tell that the abv is 7.2% so drinking one after another would be easily done. However, I predict that would have a bad result. Cannot drink as quick as I'd like seeing that I have to go to work in a bit. I can't bring myself to pour this down my throat every sip makes me want to hold it in my mouth and dissect every taste.

Final verdict: I liked this beer it was very good. I will soon be getting another bottle of this and suggesting it to my friends.

Side note: This ale's name and bottle humor me the same way Kanye West humors me. They are both just so full of themselves and I find both to be very funny.

cproioi, Apr 18, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber bottle---->my trusty pint glass

Poured a lovely brown / ruby red color with a thick creamy head, a tannish color. Very vicous and sticky as hell, lacing forms all over the walls of the glass

Some buttery notes on the nose mingle with some nutty toffee scents and the faintest bit of alchohol in the background. Also detect some carmel, chocolate scents and malty sweetness

A BOLD brew that truly lives up to it's name...So many complexities exist in the smell, test and mouth feel of this brew. Carbonation lights up the tip of the tounge, the settles down leaving this medium bodied all to move smoothly over the rest of your tounge.

Very creamy... yet On the front of the tounge a bit sweet with some carmel / milk chocolate profiles, these are proceeded by the complex hop profile that are bold as all hell. The finish is relatively smooth with some sweet notes popping up once again and a somewhat dry finish. After the finish there is even a sort of Rasberry tart/sweet taste going on.

This is the type of beer that is so deep it is hard to actually pin point the individual tastes (in a good way) you almost taste something new with each and every sip.

DaggerEyes, Apr 15, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This was my first craft beer ever back in college, and as the label says, I didn't like it, at all, because I lacked the taste and sophistication to enjoy good beer. How things have changed--now I can see that this is a superb beer, a wonderful brewing creation, far superior to anything I enjoyed in my unlightened days.

Onto the review--I served this from a 22 oz bomber into a snifter, it poured a dark deep amber, garnet on the edges, a finger of dense beige head that sticks around for a few minutes before subsiding to a scattered cap. Some decent bits of lacing left behind on the glass. Nose has a nice dose of citric hops as expected, but there is also a strong malt with hints of caramel, dark fruits and brown sugar. Taste meets expectations, starting with a nice full caramel malt, some toasted and nutty flavors detectable, and then giving way to a nice long bitter citrusy lemony hop finish Very nice, certainly hop heavy, but this beer has the malt backbone to keep up. Full bodied with a very nice smooth mouthfeel. This is an incredible beer, a huge American beer that is nonetheless tasty and drinkable if you've acclimated yourself to hops, I wish I didn't have to travel across state lines to get Stone beers.

cubedbee, Apr 12, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another incredible beer by Stone. This brewery is amazing, the hype is justified IMO.

Pours a captivating firey amber. The eggshell colored head is densely packed and never dissappears. It leaves big chunks of foam on the glass, not just lace. The aroma is citrusy and bitter with a doughy, caramel malt balast.

The taste is packed with malt and hop flavors. Pungent pine and grapefruit immediately assault my palate. Almost simultaneously grainy, mollases and raisin bread dough notes appear. The middle is like being caught in the crossfire of a Hops and Malts gun battle. There are all kinds of flavors flying every which way. In the finish, the Hops gain the upper had. Theres a resinous bitterness that comandeers the finish and makes the aftertaste long and delicious. The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium carbonation.

I love this beer. It is the most flawlessly balanced beer Ive tried. Some might say its a little hop forward, maybe thats what makes it balanced to a hophead like me.

CAMRAhardliner, Apr 11, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Nice big frothy head with good lacing. The head does completely dissappear. The aroms has lots of maly and hops. AI bit different than other strong ales. Eventhought eh alcohol is only 7.2, it's very apparent. I plan on cellaring some of these for a year or so.

doubleipa, Apr 10, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

It sits in my snifter a dark brown. I hold it to the light to show a slight mahagony red. Big bubbly biege head.

Malty on the nose, like raisons, some grassy hops, caramel, pretty dran good.

Bitters and malts are mixed around all over the place. Smooth and sorta thick, bitter but not too much. This is all around so good.

This beer is just all around cool, like if the Fonz made homebrew, he'd make this. I enjoy this every time.

joeskirkie, Apr 09, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

22oz bomber with no freshness date

Pours thick carmel colored almost looks like iced tea. Smells sweet and delicious so many characteristics I don't know where to start, grapes, malt , hops and caramel. The taste is smooth and creamy with hops , malts, caramel and honey . This is a stellar beer and I would put this beer up against any other and be on top .I now understand and deem myself worthy ...thank you Stone Brewing!

boulevard2, Apr 04, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

pours a rusty pretty hazy brown. big rocky off-white/beige almost head.

smells quite hoppy and alcoholic. nice and fruity also. smells strong.

taste - is very rich and malty. a sort of dark roasty caramel malt taste blends into more nutty malts. hops provide a nice kick on the finish to dry it out. very hoppy for the style but still has that great dark malty taste.

mouthfeel is full and rich. pleasant. drinkability is excellent especially for this style. a great, hearty strong ale.

does it make me an arrogant bastard to consider myself worthy???

JasonCoop, Apr 04, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

22 ounce bottle. Loads of caramel with tons of hoppy nose. Upon first sip very caramel flavors and very high spicy bitterness. This beer is exceptionally clear with a amber to red color. Very nice tight white head. excellent mouthfeel and top notch finish

chargerfanjess, Mar 29, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

(4-2-07)
I've finally come around to this, and, as such, I'm updating the review.

Pours out an off-red leathery brown color with few bubbles to be found in the body. Head is kind of small, beige, and leaves rings of lace on the glass. Malt aromas have a little bit of chocolate and toasted grain while the hops lean towards resin. Alcohol is a little to prominent in the nose for me. Flavor is of the toasty malts, lots of fruity esters (reminding me of the their porter), and a big finish of hops: grassy, floral, and earthy, with a pronounced aspirin bitterness that lingers on for a while. Mouthfeel is smooth on carbonation, it is almost to the point of being thick, but doesn't carry too much weight in the mouth. Solid overall drinkability.

goochpunch, Mar 28, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

this came highly reccommended, thanks Jwaks

A - a true burnt umber color with ruby highlights, with half a finger of tan head with substantial staying power

S - very faint aromas, hoppy of course, not much else, no complex aormas like i was expecting

T - the bitterness of ale with a heavy metallic twang

M - pretty normal if you ask me

D- again rather average, a good tasty ale, but no complexities

sinstaineddemon, Mar 28, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This large bottle poured out a reddish brown color ,with a thin head that quickly dissappears.The aroma is of hops and more hops ,as well as pine and citrus.The taste is also hoppy and citrusy,and I guess if this is your favorite style,you will like this beer.As for myself,I think it is a little too hoppy and while I thought it was good.I guess I was expecting more.I suppose I am not worthy.

kevin62, Mar 26, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

I reviewed this beer four years ago, and at the time gave it a 'C'. Really, it was my first introduction to 'extreme' beers. Shortly thereafter, I came to really enjoy Arrogant Bastard (and other Stone offerings), but never bothered to change my review here...

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark reddish-color with a tint of copper at the edges. Some bubbles visible rising to the surface. Great off-white/tan head; dense and leaves great lacing.

Smell: Big somewhat spicy aroma of citrus and malts.

Taste: This is quite a spicy beer with grapefruit, citrus, and hop spicyness, all over caramel-like malts that try to balance out the flavor. Has a good kick in the bitterness department at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and medium- to heavy-bodied. Has some very soft yet tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: Good ABV for this type of beer. Strong taste, but if you like it, is is really enjoyable.

A really great and special beer.

mithrascruor, Mar 26, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -32%

On tap at Old Chicago, downtown Denver, CO.

Served too cold in a chilled mug. Poured with no head: just an off-white ring that left good lacing. Cloudy plain brown. Smell is malty front, with hop side notes. Taste is the opposite: very hoppy foreground (pine, metallic, bitter) with just a hint of malt background. The bartender sold me this by saying it was balanced and complex. Those who know me also know I'm a malt-lover, and so take it with a grain of salt when I say that I didn't find it either balanced or complex. Overtly hoppy and bitter (too much so for my taste!), with hardly any malt presence. Even after I let it sit and warm up, it was still too one-dimensionally hop-dominated.
Decent mouthfeel (its best feature), and fairly drinkable. I've had one, now. Probably not again, and certainly not for $4.75 (plus tip) for a pint.

ColoradoBobs, Mar 25, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Another of my favorite Stone brews. I usually keep one to three of these in my cellar.

Pours clear and a deep, rich blood soaked amber. A fat, rocky tan head sits on top.

Very aromatic. You can smell this a six paces. Smell is rich carmel malts, dark fruit, alcohol and a dominating piney-citrus hop.

Ka-pow. Taste is a powerful combination of sweet malt, bitter hops and warming alcohol. The carmel malt fades to a roasted flavor. Meanwhile, citrusy hops pound the palate.

The scent of this one is enough to love, and the flavor leaves me wanting more.

budsboy, Mar 23, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Second review almost a year later and a lot more beer experience.

Appearence not what I remember (or wrote). It is very dark, but only a light tan head. Aside from that it is still awesome looking.

First scent hit me with sweet malts almost caremel malts. Very nice. Then I was hit with the floral hops, very hoppy, but lingering malts were present as well. Very interesting.

Initial taste include nice hoppy malts. Very mellow. Then, bam, smacked in the face with bitterness. That was quickly follow by more bitterness. Yikes, this thing doesn't let up. After a while you forget the bitterness and it seems to tone down, but my tonge did become numb.

This is mealy; but in a good way. Very thick and lushous.

High alchole makes this not the most drinkable, but it is much more enjoyable than I remember.

NiceGuyMike, Mar 20, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

The bottle said enjoy by 1/06 this is 3/06 so it is not even worth mentioning its age. However I was told over and over again about how tremendously hoppy and extreme this beer is. I did not have that experience. My guess is that this years batch may be more mellow than last years. I am not into overly extreme beers! This was a fantastically perfect blended beer with a very nicely defined hop character but there was nothing cloying about it. It was balanced with a very pleasant sweet toasted malt smell and taste. Most of all this beer is so easy to drink I wish I had cases of it. In fact, my friends B-Day is coming up and I might just see if I can get a keg (or a case of bombers). EXCEPTIONAL!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 19, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle Pours clear brown with a small creamy light brown head. The head lasts well and produces great lacing. Aroma has a strong maltiness. I get some chocolate with some cookie. The carbination is perfect. Has a full body with a good palate and a slick texture. A good duration and a wonderful finish. A very good aftertaste. This is very good. The bottle has all kinds of insults on it. Its rather amusing. I would not hand one of these to my none craft buddies bt who cares this is darn good beer.

Birdiebeagle, Mar 17, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

22oz bomber, the always awesome gargoyle is there with some hilariously arrogant writing on the back. I know the bottle doesn't make the beer but it's nice to have something to read as I am sipping.

Appearance: Dark ruby some what brownish in color. Pours a nice frothy head that retained long enough for me to allow the beer to slightly warm up. Nice lacing.

Smell: Tons of hop aroma. Some grains and some alcohol.

Taste: The hops are obvious and expected when drinking most Stone brews, gotta love that. The malts help to tame the hops with a distinct caramel and chocolate taste. The taste is complex and always interesting, especially once this big beer warms up a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that is very smooth.

Drinkability: A wonderfully drinkable beer. The ABV is somewhat high but not near high enough to have to stop after one bomber. If I get my hands on a case I would not stop at one.

Overall another great beer from Stone. I can't think of another beer that I could really compare this to but why try anyways, this one is simply great.

tattooedtolley, Mar 17, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I had a bomber of this at a local pub, not my first time having this beer but my first time not having it at home. First I love the orange head, this is the only beer I've had with a non-whitish head. It has a nice dark color, with a slight amber tint when you hold it up to the light.

This beer's aroma is great, a very warm smell... almost a little nutty.

The taste is strong at first, but after a few sips, I find it to be very smooth and refreshing. I prefer this beer in the wintere over the summer.

After a bomber of this I felt great, the effects of this beer seem to stick with a little longer than most. Alll in all a great beer, definatly worth a try and on my top five list.

BradBLR, Mar 16, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +13%

Finally. I get to try the famous Arrogant Bastard.

Pours clear deep ruby with a creamy head.

Smell is malty dark fruit, earthy hoppiness and spices.

Taste is aggressive hops and robust caramel roasted malt. This is a huge flavor - but amazingly balanced. Wonderfully complex. Finish is crisp. Dark fruit sweetness and bittter hops lingers on the pallet.

Mouthfeel is full bodied without being oily.

This is a great beer. What more needs to be said?

A heart felt thanks to Bashiba for getting this Bastard to me!!!

Blakaeris, Mar 14, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a bomber. Tried this with a piece of pizza,NY style, itallian sausage. Enough about that.

Dark Brown/Mahogany color, off-white head and lacing. 1" head on moderate pour, lots of lacing.

Smells like the entrance to the garden of eden: citrus, cherries, malt.

Taste is hoppy (like a Christmas tree) with bittersweet chocolate finish.

Not super oily, but leaves a smooth hop bitterness. As stated with smell, very well balanced with subtle malt taste. Could be...perfect?

Drinkability: Could drink 4-5 bombers, but at 7.2% that would end my night too early.

Bottom Line: "It is so choice, I highly recommend it if you have the means".

mbunje, Mar 12, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Still one of my favorites! Poured from a 22oz bottle, it forms a uniform 2" head. The beer is a deep amber color, almost brown. Smells likes malt with a hop twang. This one doesn't let on to the big hop flavor on first sniff. The taste: more of a sensation of mouth-filling bitterness at first. Halfway through the glass and it's sharply bitter, moderately malty, and slightly sweet/caramel-like. Moderate body and only slightly carbonated in the mouth. Finishes a sticky and bitter.

Overall, a wonderful beer. I've only ever had one or two 22's at a time, but I think I could drink this all night if I were inclined to shell out the $$.

copasetic, Mar 10, 2006
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.