Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,812 | Reviews: 2,967
3.08/5  rDev -26%

Hazelnut to auburn colored brew with a sand colored head. Bawdy lace and retention. Bonus points for surly gargoyle bottle art.

Caramel, citrus and brownie batter aroma. Tastes like it smells. More messy than complex IMO but I tend to favor focused beers.

Not my favorite but an American classic just like SNPA, the Chevy Camaro, Aerosmith, and Chuck Norris.

3.09/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark ruby red with a tan two finger head. Left a massive amount of lacing everywhere. Smells of very dark grains, roasted malt and burtn toast. The up front is a large amount of burnt bread along with burnt malt. Another drink adds a whiskey like charcoal hit into the mix, along with a large smoky flavor. The mouthfeel makes this beer seem just like a scotch ale. Keeps all of the mentioned flavors but adds a MASSIVE punch of smokeyness to the finish. Overall, this is a big, flavorful beer, and as the lable states, it is not for snivling yellow beer drinking wimps. Though it didn't appeal to my particular taste

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

I tried this beer during a beer tasting session in the Mug (a pub in Middelburg, The Netherlands).

A - A nice clear red fluid with a white/pink head. No visible carbonation.

S - Fruity and flowery hops, a light malt scent and sweet.

T - Extreme hoppy, to much for my liking. Light sweet upfront and (surprisingly) not to bitter in the finish.

M - Light to medium carbonation

O - A good beer, but to hoppy to my taste. It causes a lingering aftertaste.

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

The music venue I work at has this on tap all the time so Ive had my fair share in order to review appropriately.

Stone brewers may be alot of things but liars they are not. It says on the bottle "You probably wont like this" and for the most part there right. Everyone I know hates this beer but I beg to differ. Despite its slightly acrid overtones and overbearing amount of hops I find it has a specific character and mood to it and as a beer serves its overall purpose.

The color is slightly reddish and it pours a lighter head that sticks around surprisingly long. The beer is often chilled a little too much where I get it but at the right temperature (maybe out of a bottle) the tastes ring true and if you can get past the aftertaste its really not as terrible as one might think.

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

Had on tap at the Office in Morristown NJ in a 16oz pint glass.

Appearance: Nice amber brown colored ale. Yielded a strong 2 to 3 finger head that dissapated very slowly. Nice lacing, the glass was covered by the end of the session.

Smell: Smelled a little funky, but in a good way. Strong hops and malts came through, a little bit of alcohol as well. Some fruitiness, but overall not very explosive or memorable.

Taste: This was memorable. It tasted like an IPA from a mediocre brew pub that had been filtered through a sock. Very funky, almost feet like taste covered my palate. Alcohol flavors take over the beers other flavors only hindered slightly by the essence of feet.

Mouthfeel: A little bit too carbonated, but overall not bad viscosity. Would have expected a slightly thicker feeling ale from its strong aromas and taste.

Drinkability: I can see where a lot of people would like this beer. Myself however, cannot get over the overwhelming taste of socks. It had some high points aswell, like its full bodied flavor with complexities if you look for them. Overall, i think its an acquired taste as many beers are, but its definately a beer you should try if you see it on tap just based on its uniqueness.

3.11/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Just too rough around the edges for me. Bitter for the sake of being bitter. I like all of the other Bastards much more

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

A-Deep dark red color almost purple looking. A fat fine beady head. Great retention. One of the best.

S-Smells awesome. Fresh hop aroma gives away to burnt brown sugar molasses type scent. Just wish it was stronger.

T-A big hop flavor. But it tastes too similar to there regular I.P.A. Lots of burnt sugar flavors, wasnt expecting the hop overload. Hops dominate and dont really go to well with the burnt flavors in my book. Kind of leaves me dry mouthed and unhappy especially with all the esteem surrounding this beer and there arrogant bastard attitude.

M.F. Great M.F. Very full carbonation sustains throughout the session. Full and meaty. Liquid bread.

D-Wont do it again. Cant stand the headache hops.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

I've been meaning to try for years. Finally grabbed a bottle today from my local chain grocery in Atlanta. Beautiful pour into standard English pint glass. Nice head, color and aroma. From there it disappoints. A little too sweet and malty upfront, followed by a diabolical hop-head finish. Not a great combo on its own. Likely works better with very spicy foods.

There are so many other brews that do variations on both styles and the melding of the two so much better... at least in 2015.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.
best by: 12/18/11

Pours a clear, dark amber red with a frothy light toffee colored head that leaves a nice lacing.

The aroma is of piney, slightly resinous hops upfront followed quickly by a caramel malt backbone, though the pine is definitely foremost.

Follows the nose fairly well, though the hops are more prominent in the taste than the aroma.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with prickly, fairly active carbonation.

A decent and enjoyable beer, though nothing overtly special.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance – A clear dark reddish brown or maybe dark amber color. Pours a nice head with good lacing.

Smell – Bitter hops with some pine. It also has a bit of honey, but not enough to overcome the bitter hoppiness.

Taste – More bitter hoppiness. A strong bitter bite, and a lingering bitter aftertaste. I don’t taste much else.

Mouthfeel – Creamy. The hoppiness has a powerful bitter bite to it that makes it feel more carbonated than it is.

Drinkability – Not the best drinking beer. It tastes like it has more than 7.2% abv. Too much bitterness, and not much of anything else.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Pour is reddish brown with a light head. Smell is malty sweetness, with some hops showing through. Taste is sweet but not overly at all, followed by a mild drying hop finish. Thich, and rich for the style, while flavors are somewhat mild actually. Nice bitterness at first, but it turned medicinal and aspirin tablet-like a bit. Not bad, but wasn't too crazy about it either.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

The bottle poured a nice dark reddish brown witha monsterous head that lasted for ever. For a stong ale there was very little aroma that I got from it. What I did get was caramel/fruit punch aromas with very little hops. The taste was very sweet, also with the fruit punch and malts that ended up with the ever slight tangy-ness of hops. Slight alcohol presence in the end. The hops are there but not strong enough. The mouth feel was thick and creamy ( a high gravity) Overall Not a "session beer" but one to enjoy and move on.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

A: It's a dark shade of brown when poured, and in the glass it is nearly black with only a hint of brown. It is opaque, and has a very small head of white foam that quickly dissipates. Good lacing.

S: This has a very odd smell to it...it has a sour scent, like spoiled milk.

T: I'm so relieved this doesn't taste spoiled. I'm not sure what's up with the smell. I smell my glass before pouring so I know it's not that. The taste is very nice, and there's a smooth blend of malt and hops. It's very well balanced.

M: The mouthfeel is very nice. It is smooth with just enough kick to wake up the mouth. I'd say that it's a full bodied beer, but it borders on medium depending on the sip.

O: Overall the beer is really good, but the smell is very off-putting. I'm not sure what's wrong with my bottle. I would have to buy the beer again to determine whether or not it's the beer or my individual bottle. As it stands, I can't even rate this as average because of the smell.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a nice amber brown color with a fluffy white head and decent lacing. The smell is of a strong malt backbone with toffee notes and an overlayer of floral and pine hops. The taste is of malt backbone but a bitter hop bite is present and big on the back end. A floral hop taste but it is slightly too bitter. The mouthfeel is nice with a smooth and light carbonation feel. The drinkability isn't as high as some in the class, the bitter bite is not in a hop enjoyable way.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Not worthy! I beg to differ, I was not impressed by this beer. As a devout hoprhead I looked forward to this beer and was disapointed. Pours a nice copper color but with almost no head. The aroma is very hoppy which teased me into great expectations. It did have a hoppy taste but it did not vary from first sip to last. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but while I wouldn't turn down another one I would also surely not buy one..............CHEERS

3.16/5  rDev -24%

Arrogant Bastard on tap at the Gaslight Brewery and Restaurant in South Orange, NJ

Reddish amber in color. A nice, more on the white side of khaki color head. Looks quite creamy as the head settles. A noticable amount of lacing on the glass.

Not really impressed with the smell maybe a slight metalic aroma and hoppy.

Smooth and creamy. Carbonation isn't over the top. Leaves the mouth dry.

This is quite bitter. The hops are very noticable, smacks you right in the face! I think they're some subtle dry fruits... maybe grapes? Very piney. A slight boozy taste, there's a pretty high alcohol content to not notice the taste.

Quite heavy for an ale after it sits. Maybe one or two of these, that's it!

I've had this in a bottle before but it's a whole new experience and a lot better on tap. Less of the metalic flavoring and smell when it is on tap, so it's more enjoyable.

3.17/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Reddish mahogany hue, off-white head, huge blanketing lacing.

S - There is an unwelcome aroma in the nose, I didn't write it down when I could specifically identify it, so as of now it is just a generally unwelcome aroma taking down the overall dynamic.

T - The taste is simply malt and hop, and quite unspectacular. The hop is nice on the outro, and that about sums up the highlights of the taste for me.

M - Big feel, viscous, well-carbonated.

D - Like a average Sierra Nevada product. Yes, a average. I didn't learn me not no nothing in school. That didn't stop me from preparing for the BA misspelling bee, with my eyes on the prize.

Stone- Arrogant Bastard Ale

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

Appearance- dark mahogany brown with a small thick tan head. Heavy lacing through half the pint.
Smell- lots of roasted hops slight pine.
Taste- toasted/ roasted hops- very strong, slight floral/ pine hop taste. Thick maltiness as well.
Mouthfeel- thick, oily, slight alcohol presence, a pleasent aftertaste but a little rough at first.

Overall- my 2nd time having the Arrogant bastard and it was better this time around. Still a little tough on my taste buds. My 2 hardcore craft beer drinking years aren't enough yet to really appriciate this beer, or I simply just don't think its all that!?!
I was expecting strong floral/ citrus hops (which I now love) and didn't quite get it. Worth a pint but not a 6er or case.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Consumed 07/02/08 at some place I can't remember the name of in Pasadena, CA.

Pours a dark copper/brown. Good carbonation leads to a nice white head with some lacing.

Aroma is not as strong as I remembered; almost nothing there but a subtle hint of citrus hops.

Flavor is equally subdued, with a dark malt character that submerges below a raw, green hop flavor. Bitterness comes on after, but all these flavors are more muted than I remember.

Maybe this was an old keg. And it was served pretty darned cold.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

I can't believe I haven't rated this beer (until now)! I've put down quite a few bitter and high-ABV beers in my time on earth (and hope to have many more in my remaining time!), yet I still find this beer a bit difficult to drink. It is a substantial beer, and while I like the strong hop bitterness, there is a robust maltiness that when combined with the hoppiness feels like a punch in the mouth to me. I might have enjoyed it more if I had not been having it with food, and if it were my first beer of the evening rather than my 3rd and final one. Appearance is surprisingly red and head is sturdy. Aroma is serious hoppiness (with some nice fruity under-tones) and a substantial maltiness that comes across as to me as metallic, caramel-y, and bitter in a non-hoppy way.

I had this on-tap at the Houston Flying Saucer Draught House and Emporium.

3.19/5  rDev -23.3%

Big 1pt6oz bottle with no label but a devil drinking a beer printed on the bottle.

A: Not much head, nice dark amber color.

S: Hops very present.

T: Hoppy and sneeze inducing flavor. Bitter as well. Very strong flavor.

M: Fine.

D: I can understand why that this is a highly ranked beer, but I personally do not think highly of this beer.

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting. Appreciated the bourbon flavor but overwhelmed the hops

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Comes out of the bottle a dark hazy brown. Has a very good malt colored head with average retention. Smell is hoppy and malty at the same time. The first thing I taste is lots of malt followed by lots of hop. A very hop bitter beer. I think it needs something else. I like Stone IPA much better. (Why does only California know that cadmium can cause birth defects).

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured a beautiful dark amber color with a nice fluffy orangy-beige head. Piney, citrusy hoppy fragrance smells great. Very velvety feel, very smooth on the palate and tasting very bitter with almost an ESB type of bitterness to it that lingers for quite awhile. In fact it doesn't want to let go. Real nice malt but obviously overpowered by bitterness. Name suits it well, arrogantly bitter. Bitter Bitter Bitter!

3.21/5  rDev -22.8%

Thanks to Mzwolinski for flying it over!
It pours in a nice dark red ale with a thick creamy head. The head has some brownness.
I poured it in an octagonal Hoegaarden glass.
I was surprised by the smell, I really think it resembles rebarber pie. A sweet sugary vegetable odour.
The taste is (luckily) less overpowering than the Stone IPA. It does have some similar elements. The taste of the used hops for example. It has a very strong dry caramel malt experience. No trace at all of yeast, spices or fruits. Just the peculiar vegetal flavour.
The aftertaste keeps a very strong hop bitterness and malt taste. That is preceded by a striking vegetable juice tone.
Very full bodied beer, new experience for me, but nothing special.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.