2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Ratings: 7,474 | Reviews: 2,739 | Show All Ratings:
BeaBeerWife

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best of class. Still uncertain what the class is! Dark Double IPA??? American Strong Ale I guess!

Certainly one that should be mandatory for all IPA lovers to try.

Big Complex beer, I highly recommend having one of these on an empty stomach BEFORE dinner. You will then appreciate all of what it has to offer. Drinking with a meal would just be too complex! :)

This brewery continues to amaze me. Need to visit it someday.

12-25-2007 19:56:59 | More by BeaBeerWife
jasonpeckins32

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer is amber in color with some extreme red notes. One of the reddest beers Ive ever seen. Small khaki head layers the top of the glass.

The nose is very piney and citrusy. Awesome hop aroma.

A thrashing amount of citrus and bittersweet hops make for quite a bold taste. Earthy, piney, resiny. A welcomed kick in the palate with this ale.

The mouthfeel is soft and creamy, yet still decently carbonated.

The drinkability is decent, but the heavy flavor would make it difficult to enjoy several of these.

12-06-2007 22:29:04 | More by jasonpeckins32
poriggity

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

I was lucky enough to have some of this stuff on tap at my local watering hole, The Belle.

A= Ruby red/brownish color, with a cream colored head, barely transparent when held into the light.
S= Smelled very sweet, with slight hopiness to it. It was very nice smelling, and made me want to drink it IMMEDIATELY!
T= Very nutty/sweet flavor, with lots of hopiness in it. It was very complex and changed about half way down the glass. It was OUTSTANDING.
M= When it hit my mouth, it was very heady, but also very nice feeling.
D= I am a lightweight, so I can only drink a couple of these at a time before I get my butt kicked. My biggest problem is, this beer is SO good that I drink it fast, and it goes straight to my head. Overall, I would buy this beer by the case if I could find it.
Scott

11-27-2007 17:28:49 | More by poriggity
fitzy84

Had this at Moan and Dove on-tap. A heavy head with a dark brown appearance. Very heavy on the malts when sniffed, however, it seems a little off-balanced with its other aromas such as citrus and caramel. This hinders it from being perfect. This had a decently bitter taste overall, some sweetness here and there with sips. High carbonation allows you to drink it with some refreshing-ness. In general, this was another great drink from Stone.

11-26-2007 22:27:45 | More by fitzy84
crazybrody06

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Brown color with a finger of tan head, left rings of lace all the way down the glass.

Smell is mostly hops with some carmel malts.

Taste is very very complex lots of carmel malts, sweet in the middle, with a great finish of very bitter hoppiness.

Very thick mouthfeel this is a high alcohal brew but I think even with the bitterness I could drink quit of bit of this brew.

10-19-2007 01:33:39 | More by crazybrody06
Maracuja

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Chocolate brown, mahogany, bronze (to light) with a full brown head, sediment floaters, good carbonation, and little lace. Nice balanced malt and hop aroma; chocolate malt notes and piney hop aroma. Tastes much like it smells with an overly bitter finish; not pleasantly hoppy. Full bodied and creamy with a harsh bitter finish.

10-15-2007 19:48:32 | More by Maracuja
deanhead

Vermont

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Appearance- Deep rich Burgundy color with a nice frothy head, which laced nicely all the way down the glass.

Smell- Smells of Chinook, biscuity, malty, and a very nice bread-like aroma

Taste-bitter up front, middle, and end. Come to think of it, this is one bitter beer. The bitterness even lingered around on my palate after I swallowed. The beer had a nice crisp clean taste overall. Stars with a warming alcohol sensation and end with some major hops.

Mouthfeel- Nice mix of malt and hops. Nice full bodied beer, surprisingly easy to drink despite it's original gravity.

Drinkability- Great beer, not a good choice for a session beer, but I could probably enjoy three of these in one sitting without any trouble, just get a Designated driver.
I really like this beer, and would put it in my top ten list

10-12-2007 20:09:48 | More by deanhead
tgbljb

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Served as a very deep copper colored beer with moderate off-white head.
Smell is loaded with piney and grassy hops with a light sweet malt character in the background.
Taste is fantastic. I don't often give 5's for any beer, this one deserves it. The way it balances the strong hop essences with an equally strong malt presence is perfect.
Take malt and hops balance perfectly at the finish to continue the presentation of a great beer.
The drinkability is limited only by the alcohol content.

10-12-2007 19:23:54 | More by tgbljb
americanwolfdrea

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer poured a nice pleasent mahogany brown color. It had a nice foamy head that stuck trough my drinking. I prefer it cold, when it got warm the taste sorta got over powering. The mouthfeel was rather heavy but pleasant. It tasted fantastic with some great hot wings!!! It finished a lil strong for my taste but when I am in the mood for a heavier beer I would definately go for this one!!!!

10-10-2007 04:53:25 | More by americanwolfdrea
pwoods

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

On-tap at The Comet during their Stone 11th anny pint night. Review based on notes.

A: I get an Arrogant Bastard pint glass full of this deep amber/copper mixture. About 1 finger worth of head, maybe a bit more. Good lacing all the way down.

S: Not getting a super strong aroma from this due to the bar but I've had it at home without trouble smelling it. What I am picking up is a very pleasant sweet malted aroma. Hops play in the background with a subtle piney scent.

T/M: Nice sweet malts with an almost smoky(?) twang to it. A little bit of citrus hits the tongue about midway, tieing directing into the piney hop finish. Finishes nice and dry and leaving the hops last and last. Moderate to high body adds an even greater depth to this. Very nice.

D: Not something I could sit and session.. mostly because it makes you want to slow down and savor it all. I would have another but the 11th ale is calling me.

10-04-2007 01:29:22 | More by pwoods
morayeel

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

I loved this ale. It’s like Stone Brewing advertises most people would not appreciate an ale of this quality and complexity. I fond this ale to be very satisfying in taste with a nice grapefruit flavor and a very nice citrus aroma. This is one of the ales that the dryness at the end really stands out and is appreciated. Pours a nice dark amber color with a nice semi thick head. This is one of the most amazing ales I have had in a long time. GREAT job Stone Brewing.

10-02-2007 01:27:46 | More by morayeel
SurlyDuff

Oregon

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

As with my Ruination review, I need to first say that I'm a bit biased towards this brew, having been drinking it for years now (though its sometimes hard to find), and finally getting around to reviewing it just now. It's been on my top 10 list, so its hard to be totally objective in a review like this...but here goes nothing:

Had on-tap at BendBrewfest (have also had in 22oz bottles).

Notable differences: Ontap taste has more caramel notes, was served much colder than when I get bottles.

Pours a reddish brown, dark. Beige/tan lacing and head.
Aroma is a bit bready, lots of fruits (dried fruits mostly), hops and alcohol there too.

I really enjoy this at warmer temperatures. It explodes with flavors. Fruit, caramel, bready grain, good alchohol warmth aas it goes down. One of these 22's will last you the evening.

Recommendations: If this does you good, give the Double Bastard a try!

09-27-2007 01:00:17 | More by SurlyDuff
Floydster

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Pint from Naja's Place

Bartender just gave me this one night, very nice of her

Pour was a deep brown with a small white head that backed down into the glass rather quickly

Smell was real strong and malty at the same time

There is a whole lot of hops in them, but the sweetness balances them out nicely

Could drink several of these ABs

09-15-2007 06:13:49 | More by Floydster
baggio

Sweden

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Finally got to try this hyped beer. Draught at Oliver Twist, Stockholm.

A: Ruby red with a thin lace.

S: Caramel malt and plenty of hops.

T: Wow! Liqorice, bread, chocolate, spring flowers and hops.

M: Smooth with medium carbonation and tiny bubbles.

It's easy to understand why this beer have so high ratings on this site. It is a very complex ale with dipa-characteristics. It is not an easy drink tho, one glass was more than enough :) A sipper for sure! Recommended!

09-06-2007 19:09:38 | More by baggio
domtronzero

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Enjoyed out of a large stemless red wine glass (serves as a brandy snifter, without the embarassment of "snifting" beer while my friends are drinking it).

A - Pours a dark, deep redish brown, with a two finger, tightly pached, long lasting head. Lacing left all over the glass, lasting until I was finished. Appearance is very appealing.

S - Strong malty notes with a definite piny resinous hop presence.

T - Very malty, with an excellent balance of hoppy bitterness and hoppy flavor (citrus/grapefruit). Caramel notes with hints of alcoholic warmth. Aftertaste lingers as a malty thick moutcoating, but it isn't a bad thing.

M - Thick and oily. Mouthcoating and delicious. Very enjoyable on a cool night.

08-31-2007 04:56:53 | More by domtronzero
DavidSeanNJ

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On- Tap...Pint Glass....

A- Dark amber-brown- darker than usual but still brown. Huge head-tons of lacing, lasted throughout the glass.

S- Tons of hops- dried fruits- raisins

T- Holy mother of hops- intense flavor- never lost any speed- some citrus- some oak.

M- Smooth and silky on my tongue- some burning on my throat.

D- 7.2% not bad- after one glass I was feeling it already- not for the faint at heart.

So complex, so hoppy, and so good. This is a true classic.

One of the best.

08-04-2007 02:18:27 | More by DavidSeanNJ
Daehpoh

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Served in a pint glass from the tap. Appeared a wonderful dark amber color with a solid one finger head that remained throughout. Aroma of floral hops covered in caramel. The taste is where this flagship of the Stone lineup shines. Great fresh floral and citrus hop flavors combined with caramel, vanilla and slight dark chocolate. Can taste the beginnings of some flavor components that really come out in the oaked version. Very nice velvety feel with medium-heavy body. Good drinkability although it can get quite filling as this is a hefty brew. This is definitely one of my all-time favorites thanks to its bold flavor from both the hop and malt elements.

06-19-2007 18:48:07 | More by Daehpoh
sessycuban

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Sampled this beer on tap. Poured into a half pint glass. Not the best of glassware, but it's all I had.

A- The beer pours a mahogany color. If you hold it up to the light, it also looks amber. The ale leaves moderate head that retains well.

S- The beer has a very malty nose. The hops are also very apparent. I think the beer strikes a nice balance between the two aromas.

T- The beer is very malty and delicious. This beer is very balanced. A lot of beers boast of being complex, but Arrogant Bastard comes across complex without being undefined. I think you can pick apart the various tastes more so than you can with other 'complex' beers.

M- This is a very smooth beer, moderate in body. I think it is much more enjoyable when served on the colder end, as the alcohol taste really comes out when served warmer.

D- I think this is one of the most drinkable beers you can find. At least for those of us in the western half of America, the beer is very easy to find, affordable, and of the finest quality. I'd recommend this to anyone who is interested in American ales.

06-04-2007 21:33:51 | More by sessycuban
Maerzen

Had this last night on tap at Toronado where they were featuring Stone beers. At first look it was a deep Amber but holding up to the light you see it is a brilliant red. Not much head and lacing. Very aromatic hops which led me to believe that the hops would overpower in the taste. However, this was not so. Definitely hop forward but with refinement. Other brewers should take note. Good balance in the mouthfeel - refreshing yet substance. As I've stated before, I'm not much of a hop ale drinker but I did enjoy this.

05-24-2007 17:49:42 | More by Maerzen
jackorain

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Reddish brown, short head fell to thin lace quickly. fatastic lace though

S-Green hops, bisuit and carmel malt, citrus hops,

T-Green hopsfrom opening to beyond the midlle this is quite bitter. Malts, carmel biscuit a little molasses and even some toasted flavors cm=ome through. Long bitter finish

M0Smooth creamy, nice mild carbonation

D-very good I could have several of these

05-20-2007 17:50:31 | More by jackorain
alemakesmestrong

Oklahoma

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this beer on my 1st night in Oregon.

In the glass from the waitress at the little jazz club, Jimmy Macks. Dark brown, but not brown ale. Just an IPA color with some malt. Looked like a winner right away.

Smelled like a winner. Nice malts, no sucker punches, american goodness. Hops were there, but nothing to cringe about.

First sip...Holy Fuck!!! This beer is worth writing home to my mother about. Arrogant Bastard has it all. Delicious malts, like caramel and honey. Delicious hops like grapefruit and earth. This thing is a beast, but not an evil arrogant beast. More in the vain of...I taste delicate and complex and I WILL MAKE YOU PLAY WU TANG on the jukebox and make an ass out of yourself. This beer jams, you should drink it!

05-12-2007 03:32:47 | More by alemakesmestrong
hunteraw

China

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

After all the hype I was excited to finally try this one. Sampled at Eulogy, in Philadelphia.

Appearance: Dark, tarnished copper in color, khaki colored head. Good retention and lacing.

Smell: Citrus, caramel, roast malts. Complex.

Taste: Delicious and interesting. Well-balanced, not overly hoppy or overly malty. Flavor profile is similar to the smell: citrus, caramel, roast.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, good body.

Drinkability: High!

03-20-2007 04:14:37 | More by hunteraw
jockstrappy

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a rich mahogany-brown color with a creamy tan head that leaves a soap like lace behind. Aroma is very light here, just a fruity hop note is all. Taste is a buttery malt presence up front, that smoothly transitions into a blend of citrus hop flavors, orange peel bitterness, and alcohol warmth. Finish is fairly clean with a lingering orange peel effect.Thicker body, with smooth carbonation provide a heavy, yet pleasant mouthfeel. Drinkability suffers only from it's ABV.

Good beer, but I would like to try it closer to it's source.

03-11-2007 00:33:09 | More by jockstrappy
AustinBeerLvr

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%

Had this on tap at the Draught House in Austin.

A: Beautiful dark, mahagony, red color with a good amount of head and lacing on the glass as it's consumed.

S: Without a doubt, one of the biggest complextity of hops and malt flavors I have every experienced in a beer before I even tasted it. I don't even know where to start other than I got a wonderful array of fruity hops and sweetness throughout the sniff.

T: A huge amount of flavor hits the tongue right up front including, the incredibly fruity hops and malt all seem to blend together into one. Most of the taste seems to have kind of a cherry like sweet flavor that stands out more than the other fruity flavors. Alcholol comes through and warms the throat some as it's fairly potent, but not excessive. One good thing that Stone Brewing Company did was not overdoing the bittering hops on this brew, as they are defenitely there, but don't overwhelm. At the end of the sip, there is a huge sweetness that comes through that leaves a long sweet aftertaste.

M: The body of this brew is very good, not watery, plenty of mouthfeel, just a tad on the sticky sweet side.

D: This brew would get an good rating for drinkability from me if it weren't for the excessive sweetness at the end. In my opinion, the sweet finish just sticks around too long, and I found myself wanting a glass of water by the time I finished the pint. I know it seems kind of strange to have such a large gap between dinkability and flavor, but this brew is defenitely not meant to be a session beer. That said, the complexity of this beer is defenitely something that should not be ignored. Also, watch out for the kick of this brew, as the ABV is nothing to sneeze at.

03-04-2007 19:59:45 | More by AustinBeerLvr
WilliamHardgrove

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

This was my first taste of a cask-conditioned ale and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was not what I thought I would. If nice clear deep amber color and rich head had me excited. The smell was very heavy on hops, which a rep from Stone told me were Centennial hops. He then told me about how the dry hopping process worked before I took my first sip. The malt I expected from the Bastard wasn't as apparent as I thought it would be, however, despite the hoppiness it was a very smooth drink. I anxiously await my next chance to try a cask ale and hope I enjoy it just as much.

Serving type: cask

02-27-2007 16:05:58 | More by WilliamHardgrove
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.