Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
bullseyestrat

Easily one of the best beers I've ever had. I honestly saw the 22oz bottle at my local store in 2010 i think and saw the cover...hmmm this looks pretty cool maybe I should give it a shot. I don't regret it at all. Its a very complex American ale that will kick you in the butt and leave you wanting more. I have had it in the bottle as previously said. Along with a tap pour at the bar Strange Brew in Manchester, NH. All I can say is the bottle is no match for the tap by a long shot. Stronger, tastier, and I'm sure it has to be more than 7.2abv. Kind of reminds me of those old muscle cars that are rated by gross horsepower under the SAE standards at the time...but if you drove one now compared to the newer muscle cars you can definitely tell they were being modest.
Anyways it has a reddish black appearance with a head that always appears no matter how you pour it. In a good way it has a mind of its own. Smellwise Arrogant Bastard has alot going on. You can smell and taste the cascade hops and other stuff I can't put my finger on. Its aggressive and complex to say the least.
Tastewise like I said it kicks you in the butt and leaves you wanting more. Its very similar to an IPA but its not quite in the same category. Its very bold, aggressive, and tasty for someone looking for a rather full bodied ale. In you mouth like I said goes similar to an IPA but not quite. Its bold, full, and not as bitter as most IPA's but kicks your tastebuds almost like one.
Overall the label on the bottle isn't too far from the truth. If you are more into lighter beers I'd sip or steer clear of Arrogant Bastard Ale. Otherwise Arrogant Bastard Ale a very full-bodied American Strong Ale that will kick you in the butt and keep you coming back for more!

04-03-2013 02:54:13 | More by bullseyestrat

Indiana

04-02-2013 20:32:44 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
Chrysostom

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

As always, I review (mostly) to style (ala BJCP), modified (a bit, not too much) by personal taste (contra BJCP), or else certain beers, which are excellent exemplars of styles I do not prefer (like this IPA), would receive consistently lower marks than beers which are poor exemplars of my favourite styles.

As always, I review live, and not from notes.

My palate is accustomed to Belgian malt-bombs, and not hoppier American ales. This was one of my first craft beers ever, probably my fourth or fifth. I'm quite drunk, and, of course, my ratings are subject to change upon sobriety and/or further bottles being consumed.

Presentation: 22 fl oz bomber, $5.99, from Stone Brewing, poured in to Samuel Adam's imperial pint nonic glass (my Stone Brewery pint glass is in use by my wife), about 40ºF and warming as I write the review.

A: Crystal-clear dark, dark red or heavily burnt amber colour, bordering on the light brown. On a normal pour, three fingers of rocky, nearly off-white, head are left, which recede very slowly, leaving a heavy and rocky lacing down the sides of the glass, and never quite retreating in to something that can be called a "crown and ring" as opposed to a "head".

S: Citrus and floral hops. A tiny whiff of alcohol. I think there's a bit of bready yeast in there. It's more complex than I would have thought, but hard to describe as the hops are overwhelming. The smell is mildly reminiscent of marijuana, although not as much as the Maharaja or other "Californian" hopped beers. This is shaping up to be much more of an IPA than an "American Strong Ale".

T: Buttery yet sharp hops completely dominate the initial flavour. The mid-palate opens up to some warming, but quite smooth, alcohol (more present for 7.2% ABV than my Trappist-adjust palate is used to, but still quite good). There's a strong pull of unsweetened iced tea on the mid-palate all the way through the finish. There's a bit of caramel and strong roasted malts flavours. I don't get any sweetness at all: the hops dominate the malt in this, to my palate. Astringent. Somewhat complex: there are more flavours than I hath described. Excellent IPA. I don't know what "American Strong Ale" is supposed to be like. Sounds too much like an ale version of malt liquor lager.

M: Rich and smooth, with a bit of prickliness in there on the mid- and back-palates due to the carbonation.

O: I don't drink many IPAs, but of the roughly ten or twelve that I've had, this is a fine example, and a good beer in its own right. Unlike a Belgian Quad/BSDA, it doesn't become better as it warms. It's best cool/cold. As it warms, it's not bad, but not as good: Belgians get better. Not as much up my alley as my standard dark and malty Belgians, not as bitter as an absolute hop-bomb like Hop Stoopid (Lagunitas), it's worth trying if you like malty beers, as long as you don't hate hops. If you hate hops:

"You can't handle the Bastard."

To IPA style: 90/100

grrrah

04-01-2013 06:01:57 | More by grrrah
PaulsBrew

04-01-2013 01:52:43 | More by PaulsBrew
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.