2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Ratings: 7,489 | Reviews: 2,740 | Show All Ratings:
Foamicron

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a tap at Phil's BBQ next to Gate 45 at San Diego Airport. Hooray, a bar with craft brews at an airport!

Pours a dark amber, like a Sam Adams fighting a pile of Lobsterbacks with a brew in one hand and a musket in the other. Smells overwhelmingly like hops, but luckily for me, tastes like a nice, hoppy IPA with a good amount of malty backbone to balance out the brew.

Overall, if you're a fan of the so-called 'East Coast IPA', which experience has lead me to believe is any sort of IPA that has enough malts to balance the hoppiness, you're likely to enjoy this brew. Fortunately, Stone has a wide-ranging distribution, and most of the Continental United States (Gawd Bless Amurikuh!) can enjoy this enjoyable beer.

12-22-2013 22:43:38 | More by Foamicron
heygeebee

Australia

3.44/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From Warners - BB around now.

One of those beers... it looks the part all deep brown/red, with a fabulous looking head, lace and retention, the aromas are maybe just a little muted, and then the well balanced, complex, rounded taste hits you and ...

you just really don't like it.

Ah well, too treacly, a bit too dry.

Apart from that, I can't fault it :-)

12-20-2013 23:47:47 | More by heygeebee
brurevu

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From my tasting notes: With my first taste my initial thought was “what the hell?” It had a very off-putting bitterness that was not necessarily an intense hoppiness like an IIPA and it was surprising. The label states “It is quite doubtful that you have the taste of sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth,” and I was beginning to believe them! I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I finished the first glass and slowly poured the rest of the bottle with growing dread. By now the beer had begun to warm a bit as I left it out of the refrigerator. As it warmed, Arrogant Bastard took on a much smoother more balanced taste as the malts began to balance out the hop bitterness with a more roasty almost toffee flavor. I easily finished glass #2 and completely erased my earlier disappointment. This is definitely an aggressive and sophisticated beer as the label suggests, and a very good, highly recommended introduction to Stone. Just let it warm a little first.

12-19-2013 22:28:30 | More by brurevu
ThePaintedGrey

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a rich mahogany with a light mocha colored head that's wonderfully frothy and sticky, leaving almost unbelievable amounts of lacing down the glass. Strangely, one side of the head almost completely deflated, but the other side is holding strong at a creamy 1/2". I have to reiterate the lacing on the glass, because it is extremely beautiful to look at. This brew is gorgeous.

S: A very rigid hop profile in the nose with some roasted sweetness, bordering a lightly burnt caramel. A little bit of a citrus/fruity zest underneath.

T: The initial sip brings in a huge wave a malty sweetness and some toasted grain, but it's immediately cut down to size by a viciously satisfying rush of hop bitterness. The finish is a nice balance of sweet and bitter with a little bit of tingle from the alcohol.

M: The body isn't overly big, but it's a rich, full brew that flows along the palate smoothly. The carbonation packs a bite which, along with the tingling of the alcohol, kind of serves as a warning to take this one slow, otherwise it'll kick your ass!

O: It's almost aggravating how good Stone is because I constantly tell myself that their brews can't be all they're built up to be, but I'm always wrong, and Arrogant Bastard is no exception to that scenario. This one is every bit as refined and complex as Stone states in their arrogance. It's certainly not for the faint of heart and if you've got the balls to handle it, it's a must-try.

12-17-2013 22:52:17 | More by ThePaintedGrey
RingoBro

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful ruby color. Thick, foamy head with a lot of sticky lacing throughout.

S - Citrus and pine with a nice hop aroma.

T - Citrus and pine with some earthy tones. Moderate bitterness.

M - Medium body and medium carbonation. Can definitely feel the hops. Smooth.

Overall, a great beer by a great brewery. I shall be picking up more 22oz bottles.

12-15-2013 16:27:32 | More by RingoBro
brureview

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a very attractive copper tea color with a 1 F head in a Double Bastard Glass- an excellent glass for both Double and Arrogant Bastard.

The aroma changed with temps. Served colder, there was a complex blend of vanilla, lemon, and grapefruit. This fades a bit with warming when the light grapefruit begins to dominate.

The moderately carbonated mouth feel leads to the chase: the taste and finish.

Having the Double Bastard a few weeks ago in the same glass was an interesting comparison.
The Arrogant Bastard is not tame- and not tamer than the DB. Rather the DB is AB on steroids.
The AB has major hops and bitterness to the finish,and a strong grapefruit taste. The AB is blended differently- there are subtle layers of grapefruit and other taste elements. The DB is "in your face". Equally complex, but far less subtle.

Great beer. I could drink this more regularly, unlike the DB which I could only drink on special occasions.

12-04-2013 04:24:32 | More by brureview
Clockwork420

Missouri

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bomber poured into a glass stein.
$4.09 + tax per bomber.

A - Dark red, wood color. Clear with no haze or sediment. Thick, sticky 2 inch head.

S - Hops. Smells bitter, like I IPA. Sort of a grapefruit smell.

T - Initially sweet, then immediately followed with an IPA hops taste. Grapefruit and orange peel tart. After taste leaves me bitter. Even sort of soapy. Pine sap?

M - Perfect carbonation. Sort of a biscuit-y breadiness. Soapy slippery feeling to it.

O - This is a very solid brew. Although its bitterness will turn most people away underneath it seems fairly complex and special. I think if this one (since the IBU and hops type is secret) was labeled as an IPA, I would buy it regularly. Ale like it is not, at least not to my tongue. The higher IBU rating doesnt bother me, but if it was categorized differently, it may change a few people. If this is the companies Ale and its got this high of an IBU, I would be curious as to what the actual IPA they sell might taste like. Not for everyone. Not for the faint of heart. Most are definitely not worthy I think.

Very good. Intricate. Not for the bubbly yellow fans, and I like it that way.

12-03-2013 02:50:27 | More by Clockwork420
sergeantstogie

Washington

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

How many of these have I had? Not tonight, but in total. Hmm A lot of 'em. Well it deserves to be reviewed.

A damn good beer. Nearing perfection. An oldie but a goody in our microwave and fastfood world.

Perfect deep mahogany. Clear but dark. A nice sticky head. Tastes like bold pine forward hops. with a strong caramelly malt backbone.

I really love this beer and it only gets better through the years which is really rare these days.

12-02-2013 04:42:57 | More by sergeantstogie
Weston19

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Beer pours a dark amber with about 3 fingers worth of head. Head is a vanilla color which eventually turns into about half a pinky. This beer looks absolutely beautiful and the head retention and lacing is dead on.

S: Some pineapple, nuttiness, apple, caramel, roasted notes.

T: Caramel, major kick of hops, grapefruit, a tiny hint of sweetness like apple but hops quickly kick in and overtake. Nuttiness becomes more apparent as beer warms up.

MF: light mouth feel and a dry finish.

O: A great beer if you can handle the hops. It has a very complex set of flavors but you need to look past the bitterness to really find all the great ingredients that went into making this awesome beer. Very nice ale indeed.

11-30-2013 07:30:29 | More by Weston19
HighGravityMan

Kansas

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Going at a bomber of this thing on my own after a nice Thanksgiving meal. I have been looking forward to this one since I bought it.

A - Dark red amber with a ruby red appearance through light. Nice creamy tan head about 2 fingers thick. Good retention and lacing. Honestly idgaf when it comes to appearance but it looks nice to me.

S - Mmm... subtle scents tingle my nostrils. I can smell the balance of hops and malt. Some burnt sweetness comes through. Caramel, chocolate, etc. Definitely caramel.

T - Wide range and balance here. Nice hoppy bitterness up front that evolves effortlessly into a roasted and caramel darkness. Honestly there is a lot going on here. I can't possibly get everything right but all of the flavors mesh extremely well. Noticeable alcohol adds nice warmth.

M - Thick, kinda sticky. Perfect carbonation as usual. Feels like a darker beer should.

Hot damn, I have never been disappointed by Stone. Here is another great offering and it is perfect for the cold weather coming through. Now excuse me while I finish off the rest of my 22 oz. Wish me luck!

11-28-2013 22:02:39 | More by HighGravityMan
reebtaerG

Maryland

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A-pours a dark amber hazy with a white head with good lacing
S-aroma of caramel and zesty citrus hits you
T-has a taste of roasted malt, caramel and pine/grassy
M-great mouth feel high bitterness that is balanced with the malt
I love this beer give, me a another

11-25-2013 17:25:59 | More by reebtaerG
KJK-1

South Carolina

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- A nice amber rusty look with a 1.5 finger head. Lacing is good.

S- Light hops with a sweet caramel like malt presence

T- Hops and malts hit you immediately. A real surprise from the smell. Hop bitterness lingers awhile and is very welcomed. Excellent tasting beer.

M- Thick, smooth, good carbonation

O- A staple beer in my house for sure. I love the hop and malt presence here. I currently have this on tap in my kegerator, and it is a delicious beer.

11-20-2013 17:46:09 | More by KJK-1
afinepilsner

Iowa

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz brown bottle

Arrogant Bastard Ale was a gorgeous reddish brown color. It has a thick, rocky, beige colored head with excellent retention and lacing. The smell was mainly piney hops with some sweet malt. The taste was piney hops and sweet caramel malt with balancing bitterness. The finish was long, hoppy and bitter. The mouthfeel was good with a medium-full body and medium body. Overall this is a very good, hoppy beer, and should be tried by any hop-lovers.

11-10-2013 00:25:41 | More by afinepilsner
DenverHopHead

Colorado

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle with an "Enjoy By" date of 12/29/2013; into a pint glass.
Appearance - burgundy, swirling carbonation; very thick, foamy, orange cream colored head that never leaves! Lots of sticky lacing!
Smell - citrus, pine and floral hops, some sweet candy; can slightly pick up on the alcohol.
Taste - aggressive hops, mostly floral. Subtle roasted barley and caramel malts.
Feel - a lot more bitterness from the hops than I was expecting...and I love it! Easy beer to drink for a hop head!
Overall - a hop forward standard for the style. I will now seek out Double Bastard and Oaked.

11-09-2013 00:32:01 | More by DenverHopHead
Dsimenson

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Draft poured into a pint Pilsner. It has a 1/8" head which dissolves quickly, then lovely lacing down the glass. Medium brown in color, unfiltered. Aroma is hops and caramel. Flavor is hops, malt, well-balanced and very pleasing, with a bit of pine. Medium mouth feel. Overall an outstanding ale.

11-08-2013 02:32:28 | More by Dsimenson
delta490

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- a deep clear ruby brown with a big foamy tan head. Modest retention with big lacing

S-Rich and robust, blending citrus hops with caramel malt and dark fruit

T-taste follows closely with smell. The hops is a prominent feature, with some pine notes added, but the malt backbone holds it up well and adds some fruity sweetness on the finish.

M-big hop bite punches at first but fades away

O- a big flavored, hop-forward ale with great flavors across the board

11-04-2013 22:08:58 | More by delta490
freakdiablo

Vermont

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful amber coloring, off-white head that sticks. How I expect an ale should look.

S - Milder. almost sweet smell with a little bite

T - Surprising when paired with the mild smell. Strong, bitter kick up front, hoppy aftertaste. Smooths out nicely towards the end of the bottle as it began to warm.

M - Slightly thicker, with a fair amount of carbonation

O - This beer has both surprised and spoiled me. Less hoppy than an IPA, which I like as I tend to find IPAs too hoppy, but still a strong flavor. I've only had a few bottles, but it's already one of my favorites. If I'm sampling several different beers, I try to stick AB towards the end, as many beers seem mild compared to ABs...arrogance, for lack of a better term. I'll admit, I may be new to the whole beer review thing, but even I can tell where Stone was going with this.

11-04-2013 02:31:03 | More by freakdiablo
GrizzleFist

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance: Looked amazing, could tell it had some carbonation with the foam on top when the bottle wasn't even opened yet. Color was a nice amber.

Smell: Slight Malty smell and a little sweetness of fruit

Taste: Just a bitter taste to me. But it was bearable and wasn't too much that it became disgusting.

Mouthfeel: foamy and carbonated.

Overall: This wasn't a bad beer, but for the amount of bitterness that came with it you would expect a little more ABV to go with it. I would drink it again, just not that often.

I see now why they call it Arrogant Bastard and why most of us won't "enjoy" this beer. Its because its nothing special, its an okay beer, nothing more.

10-28-2013 00:54:23 | More by GrizzleFist
USAF77

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Im having my first AB and am impressed. I cleaned a pint glass from my collection per usual and a spot free glass is worth it for this brew. Its just a gorgeous carby amber that begs to be poured slow. A rich foam head that laces very nicely. Just pouring and swirling in the light is an experience. AB is a beautiful Ale to look at.

And it smells great. Fruity hops are dry and just sharp enough. The smell doesnt jump at you either. Its subtle and takes a minute or two to soak your personal space. I must find a joint where this is on tap just to smell the air in it.

Taste wise its everything I like in an Ale. A little bitter and dry but sharp in a way that leaves your mouth wet, wanting the next sip. This is "sipping" ale. Anything else is criminal. A wonderful dry hoppy after taste thats using all my taste buds that still feels smooth. The rich foam head sticks around too. Wonderful!

I usually like wheats and Pilsners with my food but this is an exception. Most of all if spicey food is on the menu. This is a wonderful Ale. Im sipping it and the taste is going up thru my nasal passages from my mouth. Im increasing my rating on it.

10-27-2013 03:17:10 | More by USAF77
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

A: An amberish brown color in appearance. About a finger of tan creamy looking head.

S: A bit of hops and some nice toasty maltyness. A good amount of balance on the aroma.

T: Once again I found the beer was balanced very nicely. The malts provide a nice caramel flavor but also some darker fruits, like a bit of raisin or fig maybe. The hops are not so overly pungent as advertised but I am drinking the beer a bit past the "Enjoy by date". None the less west coast hops are evident and quite present just not overly so. Piney, citrusey, you get the idea.

M: Very creamy and smooth. The alcohol does not get in the way what so ever and really I wouldn't notice it if it weren't for the label on the bottle.

O: A classic of the craft origins and just a great drinking beer overall. I could easily make this an everyday beer if it was readily available.

10-25-2013 15:29:04 | More by Haydn-Juby
Dope

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Best by 11/x2/13. (can't read part of it)

A: Pours a dark, almost opaque red. Big frothy tan head. Head fades slowly with top notch retention (big island of foam). Thick, fluffy tendrils of lacing.

S: Big bread crust aroma with some grapefruit and pine and maybe even a hint of grass? Probably not as fresh as it could be (see above date) but still pleasant maltiness at least.

T: Decent hoppiness up front. Nice crisp grapefruit primarily. Hints of resinous pine follow but lead into a really nice strong bread crust malt. Just a hint of raisins. A little wave of bitterness on the far side, still with some bread crusts. Crust taste is remarkably strong, really conjures up some big, stale, dried up bread crusts...in the best way possible. Lingering grapefruit between sips.

M: Medium bodied and smooth. Nice carbonation.

O: Really nice hoppy strong ale. It's not quite an IPA, not qutie an amber, something in between. Really nice hop flavor and malt flavor. Both are strong and balanced, but sharp at the same time. I'll have to get a little fresher version of this sometime, might be on the edge of starting to fade, hop-wise. Or maybe this is just really balanced.

10-22-2013 05:17:53 | More by Dope
Aaron_Ramson

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance as poured into a 20 oz pint glass is stunning; a khaki head of foam that does not fall after nearly 5 minutes of sitting, a reddish brown color with absolute clarity that appears almost blood red when held to the light. Smell is very potent and powerful with equal part resiny, herbal hops and dark malts; dried fruit, prunes, leather, botanicals, pine and resin. The taste is bitter, dark and satisfying with a burnt sugar, caramel, toast, roasted cereal grains and black coffee, offset by earthy and resinous hop character, ending astringent and slightly drying. It sits heavily in the mouth, coating; medium carbonation that is completely fitting. This beer is good to the last drop, a combination of IPA, amber ale and Imperial stout in my opinion. It's a classic that has stood the test of time and one that I come back to over and over again.

10-18-2013 16:58:35 | More by Aaron_Ramson
scotorum

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from the 22 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn flute

a: Gorgeous clear dark ruby with an inch and a half tall perfectly formed off white head which receded very slowly to heavy surface foam and considerable lacing.

s: Mild dark fruit.

t: Plums and prunes balanced by a powerful hop bite which lingered. Later the malt became more prominent than the initial fruitiness, but the hop bite remained quite strong. Tasty.

m: Moderate, smooth and mellow.

o: The label suggests the drinker is likely to dislike this, and if so would be unworthy of it. It's a clever ploy to put him or her on the defensive in order to encourage them to have an open mind and give it a chance to be enjoyed. It's got way more flavor than the usual popular mainstream corn and rice adjuncted lagers and pilseners, so the suggestion is this will be too shockingly different to be liked right off or ever by the average beer drinker.

At the moment, I'm feeling pretty darned worthy.

10-07-2013 04:26:29 | More by scotorum
Taylor1989

New Hampshire

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep brownish copper color with a bit of sediment and A half finger of dense of white almost tanish head Very good retention.

S: Rich malt, toffee, pine and citrus

T: Malty at the beginning a little caramel, some dark fruit in there aswell. Moderate bitterness that coates the sides of the tounge that lingers for a couple of seconds.

M: Medium body, smooth, with medium but slight sharp carbonation.

O: Good beer. Not the best stone beer but a good runner up.

09-26-2013 18:37:16 | More by Taylor1989
CMUbrew

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22oz bomber into a tulip

A: Dark varnish brown color. Bubbly and creamy looking khaki head forms on top and lingers for some time.

S: Smells quite strongly of citrus and pine. Quite a nice hop aroma.

T: Citrus and pine hops, sizeable bitterness, bready and slightly caramely malt. Some earthy and tea-like flavors towards the end.

M: Nice feel that delivers the right amount of carbonation for this beer.

O: The arrogance is deserved. A highly bitter, fairly complex brew that certainly would frighten those used to mass market beer. I'm looking forward to trying its bastard brethren.

09-16-2013 02:00:52 | More by CMUbrew
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.