Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,901 | Hads: 9,925
4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

A very nice thick off white/light tan head which bloomed quite voracisouly upon pouring. A nice 1/4" layer stuck around for the entire session and left the thickest lacing I have ever seen on any beer. Body was a transparent deep garnet red. I was gonna give a 4.5 for the appearance, but I'm really amazed at the lacing and head retention on this.

Smell has a fairly strong hop presence which includes a good deal of grapefruit. Also included was a good bit of caramel candy sweet malt backbone. Subtle hints of fresh fruits were also present including tangerine.

The taste is hard to define for me. It definately finishes well with a bitter hit of resin hops. There is a good spiciness from this as well. Malt plays a fairly prominant role with bready sweet nuances. This is a very balanced brew. Not as complex as I was expecting, but good overall. Somewhat of a mix between a west coast IPA and a good barleywine.

Mouthfeel is fairly full and coats the mouth well but doesn't linger for too long. A decent amount of carbonation leads to a nice crispness. Drinkability is very good with this one. Flavors are crafted together nicely and the alcohol level is low enough to where two bombers could be enjoyed at a reasonable pace without getting sloppy. A nice refreshing mouthfeel add to making this a highly drinkable beer.

More bottles will be coming home with me in the future. This is only my second Stone brew, and I've been thoroughly impressed thus far. (1,474 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours deep ruby-red with a brilliant white head. Beautiful.
Deep, rich malty caramel smell, supported by a citrusy hop aroma.
Huge grapefuit up front, followed by a more mellow citrus-caramel malt infusion. Ends with a grapefruit reminiscent tart bitterness. Mmm... Tasty.
Smooth, silky drink that I will come back to again and again. Unfortunately as of now, I have to travel to find this beer. But it is well worth the trip. (429 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%

I have always said it, Arrogant Bastard is the best invention in beer that has borne a true American Signature.

Malt!...Hops!....I might have given it back right then, right there if the bottle had not taunted be so. Bold aromas of caramelized malts, sweet dark fruits. Toasty and complcex. Waters the palate.

Deep mohogany in color. Ultimately clear. Dense tan head falls to about 1" and remains. Very nice lacing. A thick pour with medium carbonation.

Imediate assault of an aggressive malt and hop blend. Sweet caramels, figs, dates, a bit of licorice, vanilla, cherries....and a kitchen sink. (it's all in there). Agressive hop flavoring quickly rounds out this full-to-thick bodied delight. Bittering is well within balance of the malt. Complex through the body and gaining through the finish with the higher detection of alcohol. Viscosity to the mouth is not as great as I had expected from the appearance. Finishes nicely, not too drying or tacky for a high gravity or high alcohol beer.

Bittering hops dominate and mask subtle sweetness left in the background. Flavors of those dark fruits linger for quite a while. Well attenuated, melanoiden laiden, yet creamy and full-magical!

The malt bill seems characteristic of a bold Dopplebock, yet hopped with a ton of Chinook- much like an Imperial IPA. A monster yeast gives a complex and rich fruit flavor. It's not a sipper, but we won't be doing keg-stands with this one either. A beer that has won my respect, regardless what the bottle might say. (1,511 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%

Purchased from Midtown Wine and Spirits, Nashville, TN.

I honestly didn't think I'd like this beer. Perhaps I was swayed by the ad copy on the back of the bottle, but I was thinking that this would be a super-hopped monster that I would personally find very disagreeable, as I am not a big fan of overhoppy beers. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty hoppy brew, but it's not so far out of whack that it's intimidating; in fact, the hops and the fruit flavors actually work pretty well together. This beer deserves its high ranking among beer advocates, and now I only wish I'd bought a couple more of these when I went up to Nashville a couple of weeks ago.

Appearance is, for me, the best part of this beer. Forget the fantastic printed bottle, forget the clever ad copy on the back that informs the potential buyer of how intense this beer is, and just give this beer a nice solid pour into a pint glass. Pours a deep, deep, red color and forms a fantastically creamy head that sticks around for the entire length of the beer, even when topping off the glass from the bottle. Looks almost like a ruby stout, it's so thick and dark -- I was totally impressed by the appearance of this beer, so give it one of my very-rare fives.

Smell is very nice, with a hop character that is very present, and beneath it a nice fruity ester. It made me think of a very bitter apple juice, actually, but I mean it in the best way possible. I didn't get a lot more complexities off the nose, but it was a very nice beer to sniff and I enjoyed it a lot.

Taste is very similar to the nose -- I didn't get any suprises here. Again, reminded me of a very, very bitter apple juice, pleasant as far as it goes, but nothing that knocked my socks off. The beer tasted good and finished clean, leaving little aftertaste, so I'm giving it high marks -- very pleasant.

The mouthfeel was a very nice thing about this beer, as the one real shock I had in store was just how thick this thing was. The beer coated my tongue admirably, swishing it around in my mouth made me realize that the last word I'd use to describe this beer was "watery"; this beer almost felt like syrup going down. Still, it was a cleansing kind of thickness, and left virtually no residue behind. Again, made me think of a nice stout in terms of consistency.

Good high score on drinkability. The clean finish and good taste make it a very easy-drinking beer, but I can't imagine finishing off more than one 22oz bottle of this beer, and probably couldn't even do one if it was very hot outside at that particular moment. Drinkable, enjoyable, but I'm going to stop at just one, thanks.

Next time I'm in Tennessee I'm absolutely going to buy a few bottles of this to keep on-hand. Too expensive to really drink everyday, but it's a nice beer to have for when it's needed. Until I can lay my hands on it again, I guess I'll get buy on Rogue American Amber.

EDIT 06-18-2005

I bought another bottle of this in Fayetteville, and upon another tasting, I've decided to up my "taste" rating from a 4 to a 4.5. Really fantastic taste, nicely balanced between hoppiness and sweet tartness. I only wish this stuff didn't cost six dollars a bottle, and I didn't have to drive forty-five minutes to get it. (3,268 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Sampling an ABA tonight and surfing BA.com before I hit the sack, my mind wandered and I got to thinking what my original Review made of this monstrous brew when I tried it some 3+ years ago…..oh-oh, where is it, I’m utterly shocked and I simply cannot believe that I have never reviewed this brew, or at least if I did it got deleted LOL!!!

Others come and go, but Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale is *the* one and only staple brew that always has had a place in my fridge since I moved to the USA in September 2001.

The demonic gargoyle looks as good now as it did the first time I did a “double-take” when I clapped eyes on the Bomber three years ago. The screen printed bottle will stand the test of time for sure, and it is no understatement to say that the iconic design of the Arrogant Bastard Ale bottle is to the modern day craft beer scene what Warhol’s Campbell’s Soup tin was to Pop Art.

It’s all been written before, by those who can wax lyrical and are a lot more eloquent & knowledgeable about beer than I, so I won’t even attempt to add anything differential to the staggering amount of nearly 600 Reviews already written.

After you try this, and move onto “bigger” brews, and of course clash swords with its copy-cat followers, it is all too easy to forget what a simply marvelous big-ass raw & complex, yet balanced & refined, brew this really is.

Not a perfect ‘5’, but no complaints here and pretty much a perfect brew for me, well actually, I would add that it is only “improved” IMVHO when Oak-Aged and dispensed from the Cask I feel.

A Path-Finder and a true Stand-Out beer.
Big name, big flavors, big beer, big bastard.

“You’re Not Worthy”…..NO, really, you’re NOT….. (1,731 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -1%

What a hopnose catchable at the start cause off a not overwelming head. Darkbrown beercolor and not 100% clear. Nose is just like a good bag of aromatic hops with litle caramellic and coffeenotes from malt that also must have been used but partly fermented cause an alcoholic hint is there. Taste is proving that malts have been used and raffined into alc and CO2. Roasty, coffee but missing some body before going into a good bitterness. Litle hanging but with this amount... wonderfull. As of course the mouthfeel of a brew like this is, warming and provoking in another sip! Good beer and wuld love to have another one... (624 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Dark crimson which barely let any light through. Off-white lightly persistent head, very thin. Smells of baker's chocholate, caramel, and a bit of citrus. Malts and barley overwhelm the hops and the taste is almost like the smell. The hops made a strong impression on the finish. No discernable aftertaste and felt very full in the mouth although the carbonation could've been less aggressive. Don't drink too fast though or you'll forget what you were drinking by morning. (473 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I absolutely loved this beer. Pours dark brown with reddish highlights. Aroma of caramel, tonnes of hops, dark fruit and toastedness. Delicious beer - sweet, toasty, caramel, dark fruit, tremendous hop flavours. Full bodied, rich, and extremely complex. Hidden alcohol, and very drinkable. Full of flavour and definitely one of the best beers I've had. (352 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%

This one came to me by chance. my mother, of all people, brought this one down as a gift from Ohio (since we still can't get a Strong Ale in NC). I held on to it all week until the end of a hard work week. This was well worth the wait.

Pours a terrific reddish-brow hue with a half inch head that would have sat atop if allowed it. Smells of strong floral hops with a bit of alcohol. Great complexity of tastes, including cinnamon, citrus, and caramel. Mouthfeel good, but to be expected with this one. i'll finish the 750 mL, but it's not a session beer.

On the other hand, my wife hated it. As the label says, it's not for everyone. (640 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured out a dark ruby/brownish color with a good looking head. Left some lacing on the glass, but not that much. Smell was mostly hops, with a faint aroma of malts and a touch of barley. Taste was almost like the smell, but the malts made more of a difference. Hops explode on the palate at first with a heavy dose of malts and barley coming in the middle and balancing out everything. Hops linger in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel was full bodied with a creamy texture, but the hops really linger for a long time. Not for the weak, that's for sure. (545 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a saturated dark copper color with a tall, finely bubbled tan head. This beer's appearance holds the promise of richness.

Aroma is a nice balance of dark caramel, spicy/citrusy hops and some fruit (hints of fresh fig and blackberry), though ultimately the caramel rules all. Underneath it all is a suggestion of alcohol. Overall it could be more potent, though.

This beer tastes great- lots of potential for cloying here but there is a significant bitterness and alcohol presence to save it. Those qualities from the aroma are here as well- the caramel comes out early but the fruit creeps in at the end and lingers with the very long hoppy finish. Very well put together. (684 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Breaking into this style for the first time I checked and found it is a "Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above" As I worked my way to the bottom of this beauty it felt like 7.2 % ABV but far from the high end of the style's range of 25% abv.

American Strong Ale is said to have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales (recent discussion comparing these 2 separate styles rages on the forum while I enjoy this badboy) I searched my back issues of Zymurgy looking for a recipe from the brewers - No doubt a White Lab 007 yeast and Chinook hops in ~70 IBU dose - a little less than Ruination IPA(100+IBUs). But the grains that support such a hop dominate brew were what I was looking for. (# 11.5 pounds pale two-row malt and # 1.5 pounds crystal 120 according to a recipe provided by my friendly local Beerguide) - thanks MJR

Alcoholic taste comming to the front after the taste buds throw in the towel (after the first pint) and the carbonation reduces. Keeps a medium mouthfeel till the end and although finish is dry the bitter Cascade hops give a good aftertaste inviting you back for more. So yummy that I may have 2 bottles tucked into my coffin. So hoppy and still drinkable! Hummm . . . wonder how it would work as imbalming fluid. Maybe a little note tied to the bomber saying: "Here's to ME and more of Stone's Good Stuff" Carpe Diem! (1,393 characters)

Appearance: A deep darkcopper with ruby highlights, the small tan head quickly faded to lace.

Smell: a lively west coast hop aroma backed with some sweet malt.

Taste: A caramelized malt flavor is primary here, with a big hoppy bitterness on the finish. I would gues this has over 50 IBUs. I think this could be characterized as a double IPA without too many complaints.

Mouthfeel: Kind of juicy and cloying, but the carbonation does a good job of wiping that out.

Drinkability: At 7.2 % it can be challenging to drain a 22. But it is very enjoyable beer to drink all the way to the bottom of the bomber.

Overall: Like an American equivalent to the Belgian Dubbel with high alpha acid hops. (704 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -11.2%

Arrogant Bastard Ale is like a roller coaster ride. It pours a rich dark amber/copper with a one-finger (short lived) head. It's absolutely beautiful in a pint glass. It's aroma is a little on the light side, with an indistinguishable fruitiness. A sip yields a sharp hoppy bite right off the bat, yielding to double-strong coffee and banana, with an extremely dry finish. A good beer. (385 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: rich mahogany body, deep ruby highlights, thin off-white head

Smell: sweet caramel malts, nutty, piney hops; sweet, but nice bitter hop balance; raisiny notes with a rum like alcohol character

Taste: sweet and slightly biscuity malt profile, some lemony and grapefruit hops, raisiny sweetness

Mouthfeel: full body, little carbonation

Drinkability: smooth and easily drinkable (399 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

This one is a bastard! It is also incredibly tasty and complex, and quite a bit more drinkable than I expected.

It poured a very dark amber with a two-finger head. It looked so pretty, I almost didn't want to ruin it by drinking it.

The smell was just as robust as the taste. Overwhelmingly malty, but not as hoppy as I expected after reading these reviews.

The taste was like an explosion. I first felt the power of the alcohol and the malt. After letting it sit in my mouth, the hops started to take over, that left a residue in my throat for a few minutes. A very complex beer, but very tasty.

Much more drinkable than one would think for a beer that has a warning that it is not for the faint of heart. I could definitely throw back of a couple of these, enjoying them all the way down. (805 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

I scored this one on a trip to Arizona. No Stone products in MO...

Pours from a nice bomber with into a chalice- That color is truly beautiful; brownish, reddish, almost tawny port like, with an off- white head. The smell has a coarse citrus background with clear bready/ malty/ grainy smells in there as well... nice. Taste is good; has a nice roast/ toast malt background, with a firm bitterness back there to smack you around; A little harsh, but I'm not sure if that's the hops or the alcohol. Feels smooth in the mouth, and tingles going down almost to the point of a burn that sticks around a bit. Nice complex aftertaste. It would be real easy to pop more than one of these guys open. Not sure it's an everyday beer for me, but damn tasty.

Overall, very interesting and complex. Definitely aggressive and a little unrefined, though. Lacks the smoothness of some other of my favorite ales, but I think that's part of the draw here. On the 'must try' list. (967 characters)

05/10/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber poured into my Stone IPA tulip. No dates seen on the bottle.

Appearance- Opened to be greeted by a volcanic erruption of beer all over my counter, sink and floor. Damn glad I didn't open in over the carpet. Probably lost a good 4oz or so of quality brew :( Pours a very red-copper color with a large bubbled head which disapates fairly quick. About average lacing.

Smell- Very hoppy with a dark caramel malt scent as well.

Taste- Gee, what a suprise....hops, in a Stone brew? I never expected that! This one is both hoppy and malty at the same time. Like drinking a barleywine with lots of hops, then tasting a sweet caramel on the finish. Very woody flavored hops. A bit of citrus, but mainly pine.

Mouthfeel- More carbonation than expected. Took a while to finish the whole thing. Fairly heavy mouthfeel as well. Very mouthcoating.

Drinkability- Was excited to try this brew for the first time and it held up pretty much to my expectation. I was expecting a bit more of a "spiritual awakening" from it, but, nonetheless, it still is an excellent brew that I'm sure I will be having again in the future. Pretty yummy concoction. (1,232 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

pours a nice mahogany red/brown with a tan cap. looks nice and imposing in my imperial pint glass. the head sticks around forever and nice lacing flows down the glass.

tasty smell of vanilla, nutmeg, citric and overripe, dark fruit. very pleasant and inviting but not as aggressive as i was expecting.

the taste kicks it up a notch with sweet caramel and bread with a slight roast characterstic, plus a powerful hop bite of brite citrus grapefruit and lemon. strong on the hops but not out of control. bitter and flavorful, and possibly over the top but the flavors fit together well.

strong but drinkable if you can take the bitter hops. (648 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Presentation: This beer poured a very dark amber color into a traditional pint glass. There was about a finger-thick head that had reasonably good retention. It looked moderately carbonated. A floral hop aroma was the most prevalent scent on the nose. It wasn't overpowering, however. There were slight hints of malts in the nose as well.

Tasting: As expected, the hops were very strong on the tongue. The bitterness was not unpleasant, however, because the taste was balanced with some malt sweetness. Ester characteristics came across. This was a medium to heavy-bodied beer with slight tinges of alcohol on the tongue. This is a little harder to drink in succession due to the higher alcohol content.

Overall, this was an enjoyable beer, and I would pair it with heartier foods. It's a bold beer that will challenge your taste buds if you aren't really used to over-the-top hoppy beers. (895 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Dark red with hints of brown, with a crown of mocha colored lace that puffed back up to a solid head after only a swirl.

Smell: For a relatively old sample (bought ~10 months ago), the smell was quite fresh. Sugary and resinous hop aromas made me think of a cross between a Barleywine and a Scotch ale.

Taste: It came down like an easy drinking Barleywine, too, having the complexities I like, but with restrained cloyness and not too boozy, which gives this Beer extra drinkability points from me. It's malty, chewy and has a light, almost crack caramel flavor. The aftertaste is an interesting amalgam of sensations on my tongue; it's candi sweet on the tip, the bitterness bites you on the sides and on the gums, and the back is bone dry. Nothing takes command, nothing overpowers, no nerve endings get scrambled. I've scarcely encountered an american Beer over 7% with this much balance. I'd call it a "complete" Beer. (940 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance-Pours a a dark ruby red with a 1 finger off white head, lacing clings to my arrogant bastard glass rather nicely.

Smell-a complex layering of malt, hops, fruit and caramel.

Taste-A big bold beer containing citrus and hoppy overtones along with a milder taste of carmel and coffee hinting the balance of hops and malt. This beer is named arrogant bastard of good reason, it is arrogant because it believes it can get away with all the tastes it wants and is a bastard because it smacks you in the mouth with those flavors.

Drinkability-Not necessarily a session beer but still a great beer (608 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

What is to say that hasn't already been said?
This is one of my favorites. This smell hints at the brew's complex taste. Citrus, toasted grains, and hops are most present.
The taste is huge. Quite robust with a medium body. Finishes quite smooth for a strong beer. The flavor is complex, but not too overbearing. An aptly titled beverage. This is an arrogant bastard. (369 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a dark caramel color with big off-white/tan soapy frothy head foam.

Smells of moss with woody-caramel malt tones.

Tastes mildly spicy with a high hop bitterness.

Mad hop content beautifully balances the intial sweet malt nose.

Medium-weight feel in the mouth with plenty of hop oil in attendance.

Gargoyles abound in this brew. "Yellow fizzy beer drinkers" beware indeed. (392 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

Dark mahogany color, with ruby reflexes. Quite scarce foam, and not persistent. Beautiful color, but the foam...
Good smell, a full malt, with a good hop note, quite delicate, but at the same time resolute. Ripe fruit, plums, fruit in alcohol (and therefore, some alcohol), raisin, sweet liquorice, rhubarb. Woody notes, and the cocoa, and vanilla notes. Very complex, with a fickle and variegated smell, very inviting.
At the taste, a shot of hop, more resolute than in the nose. Very malty, with woody notes, cocoa, liquorice, rhubarb. Good! Smooth. Fruity again (plum), and vanilla.
In the aftertaste the bitternes that comes back, remains clinged to the throat, and it never goes away. Liquorice, roots. And again bitter cocoa. Very long, and complex.
Medium body.

Overall: arrogant & bastard & good! (812 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.