Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,914 | Hads: 9,985
4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me just say right now this review may be a bit biased. My beer drinking "journey" started with this beer and I always find myself coming back to it. And I will declare right now Stone is my favorite beer company. Thier beers are not for the timid, the gargoyle has just punched me in the nuts a few times but of course he helps you up and burshes you off. In general all of the stone beers are pretty strong and this one started the tradition I think. Well anyway on to the arrogant bastard! Pours a dark cherry with a very light tan head that stays and laces very well. The smell is hops, alcohol and citrus fruits. A complex tate the hops jump out but I also pick out peach, dark fruits, fresh bread, and the alcohol sting just in the background. The mouthfeel is pretty thick but enjoyable. Not a chore to drink at all! At least for me. I could drink this stuff all night but after more then 2 bombers I would need to take a cab. As I said before stone is truly one of my favorite beer companies and I always love trying thier special releases. And they never let me down! Thier beer is always good and strong! This beer gave me an appreciation for craft beers in general so I do owe it somewhat of a debt. Never a bad choise but if your looking for something "lighter" then go with something rogue and don't mess with the gargoyle!

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This one was a bit of a shocker. Bought this a few weeks in advance, waiting for the right time to crack it open. That moment came and this was the supreme beer for the occassion. It pours a dark, rich brown with a velvety tan head. It smells as complex as it tastes. Notes of hops and strong maltiness, but its also earthy and somewhat bitter, but sweet at the same time. It was crazy. I was in love. Somehow all of these flavours; the honey notes, the bitter coffee, the earthy richness, and the bite of the alcohol, all work together marvelously. It has a creamy mouthfeel that makes it even better. I was so glad I had this on reserve and I look forward to trying more from Stone.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

A fine bomber cracked to celebrate my birthday while relaxing with some music. Poured into a Bell's tulip.

A- Pours a deep red color, a white head leaves lacing around the edges.

S- Smell is fantastic crisp and hoppy, sweet and fruity with wisps of alcohol.... Brings me back to California.

T- The hops are definitely noticeable but its balanced out nicely with the malty backbone. Leaves you with a lingering hoppiness.

M- Medium body, carbonation hits you in the back of the throat. Tingles on the tip of the tongue through the sip. Quite dry at the end, it is a beer that reminds you of its presence.

D- I could drink this all day. My brother is a good enough man to get a keg of this for his wedding, I can only hope to do the same.

I'd love to pair this with some spicy fish tacos and mango salsa. One day I'll live near the coast.... One day.

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice beer that has the right to be arrogant!

Nice 2 finger head on top of a pint glass, dark amber, great lacing.

Not an overwelming smell, but not bad either, light hops and malty goodness.

Taste was very good. Slightly bitter, malts and slight hops, and overall good beer.

This was a very drinkable beer, wish that I was not driving and could have had another.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Arrogant Bastard Ale

This beer poured from a 22 ounce bottle provides a clear but dark reddish amber flow. It erupts into frothy 3 to 4 finger creamy foam, and leaves long standing lacing.

The scent is heavy malts balanced by hops, uninterrupted by much else.

The taste is reflective of the scent, but reversed with heavier hops, and a mild oak undertone. This is a straight forward ale taste, unencumbered by exotic extras.

A mouthful is creamy with just the right punch of carbonation. It is substantial but still refreshing.

Overall, this is another winner by Stone, and is an excellent example of a strong American ale.

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%

A - the appearance was better than i thought. Very thick and creamy head. Cloudy dark brown color.

S - Hints of roasted caramel, smoky, sweety, and a kick of a very nice spices.

T - Smoky, toasted coffee, and hints of roasted caramel and vanilla. The flavors are perfectly balanced. The taste is better than the smell.

M - Not watery, not heavy. good balance. Almost smooth.

0 - An excellent ale with alot of body and character, perfectly combined ingredients that makes this beer an outstanding A.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a clear amber color and an off white head. Has good retention and lacing. Aroma of toasted malts complimented by citrusy, piney hops. Taste has sweet notes of toffe and caramel malts upfront with a heavy, aggressive hop bitterness in the finish. Medium thick body and smooth.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%

This was my first taste of this fine ale from Stone Brewery.

First poured hard into a pint bar glass from 22 oz bottle, this brew was a dark mahogany brown in color and produced 3 fingers of a dense light brownish head that lasted more than a few sips leaving thick lacing on the glass. ABV on the bottle at 7.2%.

After warming a bit the aroma was dominated by both the malts and hops which from my experience was unusual as normally it is either one or the other. Some caramel and coffee hints were also noticeable.

The flavor profile was hop dominated and spicy along with a somewhat sweet wealth of caramel and toasted malts. It possesses a lengthy finish with tones of malty sweetness, caramel, and roasted coffee beans as well as palate cleansing hop bitterness. It is very well balanced, complex and a treat for the tongue.

With good body and light carbonation, and the hop spiciness perfectly balanced by the malty sweetness, the mouth feel is well above my average for strong ales I have tried.

Overall what can I say. Perhaps that perspective is a good thing. As one who “came of age” in the 50’s/60’s, and eagerly sampled the readily available US beers of that period, this beer makes me very happy. Those who have “come of age” since the 1980’s cannot fully appreciate the dramatic difference between the readily available beers I naively quaffed in my 20’s and 30’s and what is available today. And breweries like Stone are the leaders in providing such a drastic difference between then and now. They are paving the future of beer by expanding the envelope beyond what we so eagerly enjoy today.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Served on tap at The Euston Tap in London, a half pint served in an half pint imperial glass.

This would normally be the highlight of my day but i followed it with a glass of Stone Ruination which was even better!

the beer is an Amber color, very hoppy aroma,with a well malted taste with traces of toffee or Caramel. excellent mouthfeel which left me wanting more.

Excellent beer from Stone, it lives up to its reputation.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was truly a magnificent beer all around. It had great fragrance with a super color. I couldn’t stop smiling for the whole three minutes it took to drink it!!

This is one beer you don’t want to serve to cold or else you will lose a large amount of flavor.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into a oversized wine glass. Deep, dark amber color. Outstanding Sticky lacing for the duration.(Over 1 Hour) That being said, I did not drink this brew very quickly as it was indeed quite strong. The smell was good... hops mostly. It is a fairly complex beer in taste but the hops clearly dominate here. I will have to try again to pick up on those complexities. Mouth feel was good although a bit syrupy and sticky which hurt the drinkability. One bottle was enough for the night. Overall a very good beer which I will enjoy again.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells of hops and deep roast. Slight alchohol aroma. Very strong scent for sure.

Taste is strong of hops. this beer has alot of flavors going on aside from the hops. some deeper tones I attribute to roasted malts of some sort. Hops characted remains throughout though.

Feels very strong in your mouth. almost to the point where it's hard to hold onto. I guess this is part of the "strong ale" character.

Extremely drinkable one time. only faulted because it is hard to drink it for an entire night. very heavy feel once it hits your stomach.

All in all this is a good beer. Very Very complex. I think the heavy hops are overpowering and I have trouble recognizing the other flavors

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured a nice reddish color with a solid and lasting head. The head is one of those thick juicy ones that doesn't want to let go, love that! Smells of roasted malt character mostly without much if any hop aroma. The taste is solid malt and a nice balanced bitterness. A clean yet full mouthfeel rounds out a brew that is solid, but don't expect a new twist here.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

*22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.*

a: it's a dark, cloudy copper color with lots of head and thick lacing.

s: a great aroma of citrus and pine.

t: the slight taste of sweet malt hits the palate first, then it's a hops explosion. very intense hop flavor.

m: medium-bodied, medium carbonation.

d: very drinkable. one of my favorite beers.

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%

I am glad to have been gifted this beer by a coworker on vacation. I've heard of it's virtuous nature and was stoked to crack into it after a long day. I was not let down. To me, this is like a hefty red ale that has a very complex aroma and taste. I am a couple of pours into this bomber and I have had my palette completely commandeered. Looks are not amazing, but it does have good lacing.

Looks like a dipa or a heavy red ale, which is kinda what it tastes like to me as well. I get a heavy pine and citrus feel from the nose. The actual beer is quite malty but it is so complex and balanced that I am astonished. It isn't even very heavy on the mouth-feel though after a couple pours it is starting to stick to my tongue, pleasantly I might add. There is a fair alcohol burn/hop burn in there, but nothing over the top.

My general impression of this beer is just about how well balanced it is. Good job Stone. As much as I love this beer, I'm afraid of what will become of me if it distributed here. I may just become an arrogant bastard myself...

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Orange-caramel pour, slight chill haze that faded quickly. Head is plentiful and off-white, very fine and frothly like a Tripel. Foam persists nicely and leaves copious thick lacing around the glass.

S: Seriously heavy malt- Caramel, maple syrup, candied fruit, prunes, raisins. Hops quite present and provide a lighter floral/citrus edge. Really just bursting with scent.

T: Almost as flavourful as it smells - a slightly different balance. Hops more pronounced and more grassy than citrus/floral. Plenty of malt still present. Caramel, raisins, fruit. The subtle tones are trampled by the hops - but really my only knock on the taste.

M: Smooth, palpable, velvety. A nice bite from the alcohol and carbonation. Leaves the palate pleasantly sticky and eager for more.

O: Fantastic. Lives up to its name - the taste is bold, brash, matching the bombastic self-promotion adorning the bottle. Wish I'd checked the review before purchasing - I would have come home with more as this isn't available locally.

4.36/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in 16 oz tulip glass

A: Super dark cherry red color, dark blonde head

S: Not too much aroma but is warm smelling

T: Dark, round, Roasty, bitter taste, a little espresso or sumthin toasty like that. Simple but very tasty.

M: Bitter definitely but is a good aftertaste.

O: Kind of a classic ale the way it smells and tastes but the appearance blew me away the most, great cherry red color. seen this one a lot and finally tried it and liked it very much

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Appears stout-black at first pour but hold it to the light to reveal a deep reddish-brown. Head is khaki and dissipates quickly.

S: Deceptively mild. Some malty and chocolate notes. Can't pick up too much of the hops.

T: Hop explosion followed by baking chocolate, espresso, prunes and an aftertaste of chocolate milk. Alcohol is never apparent except to dry the finish nicely.

M: Rich and satisfying but never syrupy.

O: Even if I hated this beer I would give it points for the monologue on the bottle. In fact this is an excellent beer that may become one of my go-to's.

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - pours amber with small head that disappears quickly. Presence of astringency with lacing that does not hold. Cloudy. Aroma - smells of vanilla. Taste - mild sweetness that has a bitter lasting aftertaste. Touch - feels fresh with some astringency. Overall - would recommend. Easy to drink and the mild astringency compliments the flavours well. Does not feel like a 8% beer.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

It's been a while since I've written a review. Now's as good a time as any to start again. This has always been one of my favorites, but for some reason I never got around to reviewing it. Had it on tap at University Pizzeria and Italian Eatery on the campus of YSU (this place is the single greatest reward to my recent return to school). In a pint glass.

A: Pours a darkish red with about a two-finger head that fades rather quickly (bottled version usually doesn't fade so fast).

S: Well balanced between the hops and the malts. Better than solid smell, but doesn't fully prepare one for the taste assault to follow.

T: According to Stone, "This is an aggressive beer." Yeah, that's a pretty good way do describe the taste. Hops are very present but not dominating, well balanced. (Of course, by balanced I mean both levels are equally overpowering, in a very good way.)

M: As close to perfect as I've ever had, especially given the strength of the taste.

D: Have to deduct half a point here for the 7.2%. On a Friday evening I might have a third. On a weekday between classes, though, two will have to do.

As I said at the beginning, this has long been a favorite of mine. It has not lost a bit of its appeal to me over the years. Gotta love Stone.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

22oz bomber poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Dark translucent brownish. Very dark amber. Small head that hung around for awhile, nice lacing. It's a very nice-looking, darker beer.

S: Very fruity hops. Rich.

T: They got this right. The hops are fruity, strong, and bitter, but not overpowering. There's an undercurrent of sweet malt, almost caramel. There's some kind of strange spice to it, almost like cloves or allspice. The flavor is very bold, rich, and yet not overbalanced in any direction. I haven't had any of Stone's other offerings, but if this beer is any indication, they're a top-notch brewery. Truly outstanding.

M: Medium, good carbonation, smooth with a bitter finish. I like it. The mouthfeel doesn't do anything crazy for me, but I like it.

D: Very drinkable, but you should keep in mind that this beer is best served by slower drinking.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Maple-brown color, good head with attractive lacing that lasts for the whole time

S: Definitely strong hops aroma, pine/spice with a hint of malt sweetness

T: The hoppiness is apparent at the beginning, with a lingering mouthfeel. Subsequent sips exhibit a malt sweetness underneath, but overall strong and hop-bitter.

M: The carbonation lets it stick to the palette for a few seconds, definitely pleasant due to appropriate carbonation level. The hop resin feeling is definitely overbearing, but otherwise smooth.

D: I have half of a 22 oz bottle while I shared the rest with my brother, a good beer to sip and talk about, but definitely not anywhere on my top list.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

poured from a bomber.

looks incredibly appetizing. such a deep red color. The head retention is pretty decent. Decent lacing as well.

the smell is very intense. citrusy hop aromas. a little along the lines of grapefruit...but there's certainly an orangey quality to it. Sharp alcohol aroma coming through on the back end.

the taste is just as intense as the smell. sweet up front, a hop assault as soon as it hits the back of the tongue. quite bitter indeed. there's a bit of an alcohol presence, as well as a very minimal roasted malt flavor. there's a huge presence of caramel. this is one complex beer...every sip you take contains a new element of flavor.

the mouthfeel is nice and rich. a medium, almost full body. the carbonation is pretty light.

it's not an intensely boozy beer, but you can certainly tell this beer is huge. i like it a lot, but i'm used to beers that are slightly less bitter. one of the most complex beers i've had. so intense, but i think i can tame it.
edit - by the end of the bomber, the edge has worn off of the bitterness and it's a lot more enjoyable. my palate has probably just gotten a lot more used to it.

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug.

A- Deep copper color beer with a large sticky and frothy off white head with great retention that left lacing all down the side.

S- STRONG hop aroma with fruity and floral undertones which attempt and almost succeed in masking the high alcohol content.

T- Very ful and rich taste witha medium body. A toasted and caramel undertone with a malty sweetness that balances the alcohol bite. Al matched with the fruity hoppy taste.

M- Very smooth with mild carbonation.

D- Very drinkable if you are sophisticated enough to enjoy it. Large bottle and high alcohol conent means you can't knock back 6 or 7, but you will greatly enjoy what you do drink

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

This is definatly not a beer for everyone. It even says it on its label, Its a stron ale with lots of hops and malts a dark color with a aroma that tells you its an Arrogant Bartard. Worth a try if you are looking for something different. Has to be one of my favorite Stone Brew.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.