Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

My first taste of a Stone product. So much hype, Hope I won't be disappointed. But it is just beer, right?

1Pt. which I put in the freezer about 15 minutes so it's not very chilled.

A- Dark ruby-brown. Nice thick chewy looking head is a very light brown/beige. It,s been 5 minutes without a sip and it's now only a thin layer but left some bunched up lacing.

S- Floral hops, some grapefruit. Soft alcohol. Malty and sweet candy/red licorice and dark fruit. Some light woodiness. I'm not blown away yet. Not an impressive smell but a great one. I'd be smelling my pint all night if I had this in a bar.

T- I was bracing myself... So not as shocking as I thought. Some of the most flavorful and floral bittering hops I've had the chance to taste in a beer. The very first sip allowed for a very tasty soapy hop burp. Some sourness. Considerably woody. Very bitter. Alcohol appears through aeration.
Would be a just tasty as an IPA but is a delicious Ale.
Few last sips now and this kind of tastes watery.

M- Close to full. Close to high carbonation. Feels good, nice and smooth. A bit sticky though. I'm done now and my teeth are numb.

D- Very good. Quite light yet complex.

This is a very good beer but I think all the arrogance on the bottle was better suited for the scene some years ago when extreme beers were fewer. High quality. I can't say I would try very hard to score some more but finding it on tap and having it with some food would be great.

EDIT: My ratings gave this an A- which is cool but I was thinking B+

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a Bomber into a snifter. Deep red amber hue, almost a liquid velvet red. Nice white/yellow head with beautiful alcohol lacing, sticky throughout my drinking.

Malt and hops up front on the nose, light spiciness with a hint of lemon, maybe pear, brandy?

Just as with the smell, hops and malt overtake the tongue. Nice carbonation, a dry shot of sweet brandy, a hint of honey, followed by a bitter, burnt toast on the finish. I'm shocked at how smooth it is considering the bitterness of the hoppy finish.

This is considered a strong ale, I think for the in your face hop smack down. Yes the alcohol is there but it's hidden pretty well, doesn't feel like a 7+ ale...that could be dangerous. I think a bomber is a perfect size for consumption. Much more and either the buzz or the hops would take over.

This is my first Stone brew, looking forward to trying more, looking forward to adding this Bastard into regular rotation in my beer fridge.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

I can't say I love this beer but I can say that I liked it. It is pretty good, but almost peculiar at first taste. I detected a strong taste of grapefruit in this brew coming from the hops yet has a strong malty backbone to balance it out. Did I say "balance" in an AB review? . It has a very nice appearance of caramel color brew with a 3 finger head that shrunk down but lasted to the last drop [maybe I drank it too fast ;-) ]. I also liked the bottle for the size, the content and the label. Maybe they are using a little reverse psychology on some unsuspecting peeps. It was however, a fun experience. Cheers to the brewery brave enough to be bold!

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer, from the writing on the back of the bottle to the taste and everything in between. The color is reddish orange with a thick white head that leaves trails down the glass. The smell was mostly slightly sweet with a little bit of hop but very understated, The taste is great with simple hop bitter notes in the beginning leading to semi sweet malt and almost a coffee/tobacco aftertaste. Absolutely loved it and would definitely recommend.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

So I finally had the pleasure of drinking a Stone beer. Pours a very dark amber with a tan head, suprisingly the head didn't last longer. Lacing with slither down your glass with each sip though. Smell is fruity with caramel hops. Taste is very strong but with great roasted and fruit tones. This beer explodes in the mouth, very full and lively. A very drinkable beer, if you want to impress someone with a great beer, this is the one to get.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a brilliantly clear ruby color with a slightly bronzy tint with a billowing loose 2" khaki head that displayed staying power. Visible sparse slow-rising carbonation. Thick sheets of layered lovely lace.

Ultra fresh scents of sweet French burnt candied peanuts which showcase a hearty malt presence and of course, a blossoming bouquet of hops galore. The balance of these two fresh components is staggering, can't wait to taste it...

Ahhh! The slightly prickly and grapefruit rind flavored hops greet you with a friendly handshake. The sweet malt I received in the nose is a little tamer than I expected, but sturdy none-the-less. Again, the balanced components of malt & hop are expertly displayed. The gentle sweetness of the malts permit the dry and succulently bitter hops to really shine.

Mouthfeel is very nice. The slow rising visible carbonation is very indicative in the mouthfeel; restrained and fine carbonation really showcase the graceful full flavored long finish.

Drinkability is insane. I can't for the life of me think of a scenario where this beer wouldn't perfectly fit-in. I'm sad I only bought one bomber.

Overall a very graceful and gentle ale that doesn't reflect its name at all. Don't get me wrong, this ale can throw haymakers with the best of them, but I'm very impressed with its remarkable balance and pleasant demeanor. I'm very glad to greet Stone's entry into the Michigan market with open arms (and mouth). The masterfully showcased hop profile in this beer would make me believe it was an IPA. I'll gladly submit to this strong ale any day.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Arrogant Bastard is a deep amber color, sort of a mahogany or cherry wood shade, with some bright highlights at the bottom. There is a 1" beige creamy head with great retention and perfect lacing all the way down.

The aroma is toffee, nice fresh hops and a light roasted malt. The hops smell great and the aroma is very rich overall.

Arrogant Bastard has a wonderful hop bitterness from start to finish. The flavor is complex with caramel, toffee and some fruity banana character thrown in there. There is not much of the roasted character that I usually associate with beers of this color. There is plenty more going on here though. Very well balanced and gets better as it warms up closer to "cellar" temperature.

The beer is very full-bodied and rich. As much as I would like to make it a session beer (just split 6 bottles with my old man), be careful, this one is capable of knocking you on your ass!!! Great beer and I highly recommend this one to any BA who has never had it.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

The head is thick and frothy, very nice...it stayed even until the last drink. The color is dark brown with an amber hue to it. The smell is slightly roasty, slightly sweet and a little musky. The taste is very hoppy/musky and powerful. It tastes a bit old. The mouthfeel is a little lacking, it's a bit harsh. Overall I will try this one again, but it's not my session beer.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

yes, okay, this is one arrogant bastard of a beer. but i'm liking it.
a dark reddish brown ale, capped with a thick, frothy, sticky tan head that laces like some kind of goo. aroma contains maltiness, caramel, some toffee, and a faint smell of something that i can only describe as five-pound nutty christmas fruitcake. the taste is big, juicy and meaty wth bitter grapefruit rind hops asserting themselves after the creamy and caramelly malt blast with a slight tingle of warming alcohol at the end. got some bitterness in the aftertaste there, too. and it lingers, even after a bite of edam...the mouthfeel is rich, creamy and certainly big. this is one tough-ass brew, and it's almost overwhelming at times. i was in the mood for this today, but i'm not sure i'd go for it on a regular basis. nonetheless, top-notch stuff and absolutely worthy of such self-proclaimed arrogance.

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ruby red body with a nice solid finger of white head.

Scent is tart malt with distinct hop presence.

Flavor is intense with more of the tart maltiness and some fruitiness, with a sour hop finish. Like the label says "This is an aggressive beer". It is, it has good, solid strong flavoring that is remarkably well balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium and highly carbonated.

Drinkability is very high. AB is far too easy to drink, always a joy to have. Another classic from Stone.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

From my bro Steve-thanx and big ups!

Poured into a pint glass this brew is an amber color with a thick light brown head that leaves the stickiest lacing all down the glass. The aroma is very complex. There are subtle hints of caramel malts, some slight nuttiness, a mild hint of yeast, and some toffee. The taste is bold. The front is sweet with the light roasted malts and the full body has a wonderful hop balance. This brew has a nutty finish and doesnt in the least over power even with the high ABV. Wonderful example of a beer brewed by true beer lovers!

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

a- bomber poured into a mug, finger and a half frothy cream colored head, head lasts forever, very dark brown coloring, still can't see the lacing because the head is still a half inch, leaves head rings on the glass, now i can see the lacing, it's terrific, covers the whole top, really beautiful brew, not to mention a really great, clever bottle design.

s- grapefruit, slight pine, hoppiness, caramel malt.

t- i get fruitiness (grapefruit), floral hops, little pine, but as hoppy as it is, it's equally malty and caramelly, it's topped off with a gush of alcohol at the back end, super complex, very interesting, i'm sipping at it.

m- a little slick on the tongue, medium bodied.

d- it is drinkable, i definately wouldn't session this bad boy, i think i'd be on my ass, the cool bottle doesn't lie it's not for the faint of heart, but really great none the less.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.