Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,926 | Hads: 10,061
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

First thing that hits you is the strong hop aroma, along with a very toasty carmel malt flavor. A very dark red color. Medium off white/tannish color head with medium carbonation. Flavor is very bitter, but tends to leave you with a good aftertaste. Strong but goes down somewhat smooth. This is one of the best beers I have tasted to date. Not one for drinking in large quanities, one to be enjoyed slowely at the end of a very long day.

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer pours a rich amber color with a thick head that lingers. Very hoppy aroma. Bold taste with hints of fruit and extreme hoppyness. This beer makes me so hoppy. Good carbonation makes this beer feel good in your mouth. Leaves a bitter aftertaste which is nice. Overall this is one of my favorite beers. If you can get your hands on it, buy it. You will be impressed.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a clean mahogany, with a glorious white head and serious lacing. The smell is of floral hops, malts with some serious sweetness. The taste is predominantly of hops, though they are nicely complemented by toasted malts. There is a definite sweetness to this beer. Also, the yeast peeks through, making this brew far more interesting than your average hop monster. The mouthfeel is not quite up to par with the rest of the beer, a bit syrupy and not quite crisp - this seems to be a characteristic with which hoppy beers seem to struggle in general.

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

Dark red in color with little visability. A very foamy tan head about 3 fingers thick. Appears quite tasty.

Nice hoppy scent with some decent citrusy aromas to it. Possibly a slight kick of alcohol in the smell as well.

Very strong bitter taste to it. A bit to strong to my liking. And contrary to the label I do not prefer a beer with a million dollar ad campaign. Quite the alcoholic bite to this beer. Very overpowering with the hops coming in through the center of the tasting.

A bit on the heavy side but not incredibly hard to drink. This is a good beer but a bit to strong for my personal tastes. I could not have more than one in quite some time.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

You know that scene in Sideways where Virginia Madsen asks Paul Giamatti when he realized he was a wine lover...most of us have had a similar transcendental experience with beer. For me it was a mug of New Amsterdam Amber after work one night in college. Prior to that night my favorite beers were Old Milwaukee and Rolling Rock...which I still enjoy on occasion if I'm in a swilling mood. That New Amsterdam was an awakening for me, and I had a similar experience recently with a pint of Arrogant Bastard. I'd had Arrogant Bastard before but I'd never been a huge fan of the BIG American Pale Ales or (in this case) Strong Ales...too belligerent. But on this particular day what started with a sip of my buddy's draft turned into my own pint, which was quickly followed by another. The hops were so fresh it tasted like I was drinking it straight out of the mash tun, and it was big but balanced...I had seen the light...I was worthy! The bottle I'm drinking right now isn't quite as fresh or memorable as the drafts I enjoyed that afternoon but it's still an outstanding beer. For tasting notes please refer to any of the other 1,100+ reviews. Most are spot on in their praise and analysis.

Recommended Music Pairing: Led Zepplin II

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a tulip

A - Deep mahogany color, good clarity, tight off-white head, heavy lacing down the glass.

S - Piney, spicey and some citrus hops and big carmely malt back bone, some roastiness

T - Good amount of pine bitterness, big malty character, very little alcohol is detectable.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation

D - Very drinkable, gets a bit sweet after 22oz though

A classic beer that everyone should have at least once or have sitting in the fridge.

Someone picked this up for me as a gift. Very large bottle and very large alcohol content which is always good. I really enjoyed this beer. The only problem with large bottled beer, they get warm too quick and you have to down them. I would rather see smaller bottles, cans so you can enjoy it more.

On tap at Twenty Tap in Broad Ripple

A: Very nice dark brown with a nice head.

S: Hops, citrus, caramel.

T: Suprising! A mixture of nice citrus hops and dark malts

M: Dances on your tongue with nice carbonation and medium body.

O: Definitely give this a try! Very nice!

2.66/5  rDev -36.2%

looks great, smells okay, tastes not too good :( thoroughly disappointed with this beer, considering Stone have put out some far superior products. I've got to say, I think the best thing it has going for it is the label that attempts to make you feel bad/stupid for not liking this beer, unfortunately, I've had way too many good and great beers to appreciate this one, and for that, I just can't say that I was too impressed.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a deep dark brownish-ruby. Offwhite head is thick at first but settles down after a few sips from the glass. Sweet aromas of cinnamon and caramel. Different taste than I expected after the smell. Hops dominate up front but are quickly rounded out by the sweet maltiness. Overall, a damn good brew. Many complexities and layers to this one, and at only $3 per deuce-deuce, I will be purchasing this one pretty frequently.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured out of a 22 oz bomber into a wide mouthed wine glass. Pours an amber brown color. I didn't get too much on the nose. At first taste all I got was the flavor of hops, but after it warmed up the hoppiness dissipated and it showed a malty, nutty flavor that was complemented by hop bitterness. The flavor makes me long for almond crusted walleye to complement it.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Waited quite a while to try this beer. Have to come right out and say that its a damn tasty brew and I wish I could have more already! This beer has a deep amber color with decent head that fades quite a bit, but has a slight amount of retention. Smell is dominated by hops, but doesn't over power it. I think they are amarillos, but not sure. Taste is wonderful, a close perfect balance between malt and hops...one doesn't over power the other. Mouthfeel and drinkability are very high. I could confidently say that I would drink one of these everyday if given the chance! Stone PLEASE distribute to Iowa!

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

22oz bomber poured into a perfect pint glass

A: The beer is a deep auburn color: very clear and crisp in appearance, and it sports a nice creamy head of a tannish color. The deepness of the color makes the beer look quite inviting. A healthy amount of bubbles are rising from the bottom of the glass. The two fingers of head hung out for 3 or 4 minutes. A thin layer of head remained as I drank the beer down. Impressive lacing was left on the glass all the way down.

S: This beer has a very present scent. The malt hit me first followed by the hops. On subsequent smells, the hops and malt blended quite well. I get roasted and biscuit malt scents with resiny, spicy hop scent.

T: This is a big tasting beer. Lots of roasted, biscuit malt with a generous amount of dank, bitter hops. The balance achieved between the two is phenomenal.

M: The beer has a medium to heavy mouthfeel. It leaves an after taste that is slightly dominated by the malt but the hops are definitely present. The aftertaste mostly lingers on the middle and back of my tongue and not on the roof of my mouth as I find happening with some of the extreme IPAs.

O: This is a phenomenal beer. This is the second American strong ale that really made me take notice of the awesomeness of beer (the first being Rogue’s Dead Guy Ale) several years ago before I started to get all nerdy about beer.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me just say right now this review may be a bit biased. My beer drinking "journey" started with this beer and I always find myself coming back to it. And I will declare right now Stone is my favorite beer company. Thier beers are not for the timid, the gargoyle has just punched me in the nuts a few times but of course he helps you up and burshes you off. In general all of the stone beers are pretty strong and this one started the tradition I think. Well anyway on to the arrogant bastard! Pours a dark cherry with a very light tan head that stays and laces very well. The smell is hops, alcohol and citrus fruits. A complex tate the hops jump out but I also pick out peach, dark fruits, fresh bread, and the alcohol sting just in the background. The mouthfeel is pretty thick but enjoyable. Not a chore to drink at all! At least for me. I could drink this stuff all night but after more then 2 bombers I would need to take a cab. As I said before stone is truly one of my favorite beer companies and I always love trying thier special releases. And they never let me down! Thier beer is always good and strong! This beer gave me an appreciation for craft beers in general so I do owe it somewhat of a debt. Never a bad choise but if your looking for something "lighter" then go with something rogue and don't mess with the gargoyle!

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This one was a bit of a shocker. Bought this a few weeks in advance, waiting for the right time to crack it open. That moment came and this was the supreme beer for the occassion. It pours a dark, rich brown with a velvety tan head. It smells as complex as it tastes. Notes of hops and strong maltiness, but its also earthy and somewhat bitter, but sweet at the same time. It was crazy. I was in love. Somehow all of these flavours; the honey notes, the bitter coffee, the earthy richness, and the bite of the alcohol, all work together marvelously. It has a creamy mouthfeel that makes it even better. I was so glad I had this on reserve and I look forward to trying more from Stone.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

A fine bomber cracked to celebrate my birthday while relaxing with some music. Poured into a Bell's tulip.

A- Pours a deep red color, a white head leaves lacing around the edges.

S- Smell is fantastic crisp and hoppy, sweet and fruity with wisps of alcohol.... Brings me back to California.

T- The hops are definitely noticeable but its balanced out nicely with the malty backbone. Leaves you with a lingering hoppiness.

M- Medium body, carbonation hits you in the back of the throat. Tingles on the tip of the tongue through the sip. Quite dry at the end, it is a beer that reminds you of its presence.

D- I could drink this all day. My brother is a good enough man to get a keg of this for his wedding, I can only hope to do the same.

I'd love to pair this with some spicy fish tacos and mango salsa. One day I'll live near the coast.... One day.

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice beer that has the right to be arrogant!

Nice 2 finger head on top of a pint glass, dark amber, great lacing.

Not an overwelming smell, but not bad either, light hops and malty goodness.

Taste was very good. Slightly bitter, malts and slight hops, and overall good beer.

This was a very drinkable beer, wish that I was not driving and could have had another.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Arrogant Bastard Ale

This beer poured from a 22 ounce bottle provides a clear but dark reddish amber flow. It erupts into frothy 3 to 4 finger creamy foam, and leaves long standing lacing.

The scent is heavy malts balanced by hops, uninterrupted by much else.

The taste is reflective of the scent, but reversed with heavier hops, and a mild oak undertone. This is a straight forward ale taste, unencumbered by exotic extras.

A mouthful is creamy with just the right punch of carbonation. It is substantial but still refreshing.

Overall, this is another winner by Stone, and is an excellent example of a strong American ale.

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%

A - the appearance was better than i thought. Very thick and creamy head. Cloudy dark brown color.

S - Hints of roasted caramel, smoky, sweety, and a kick of a very nice spices.

T - Smoky, toasted coffee, and hints of roasted caramel and vanilla. The flavors are perfectly balanced. The taste is better than the smell.

M - Not watery, not heavy. good balance. Almost smooth.

0 - An excellent ale with alot of body and character, perfectly combined ingredients that makes this beer an outstanding A.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a clear amber color and an off white head. Has good retention and lacing. Aroma of toasted malts complimented by citrusy, piney hops. Taste has sweet notes of toffe and caramel malts upfront with a heavy, aggressive hop bitterness in the finish. Medium thick body and smooth.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%

This was my first taste of this fine ale from Stone Brewery.

First poured hard into a pint bar glass from 22 oz bottle, this brew was a dark mahogany brown in color and produced 3 fingers of a dense light brownish head that lasted more than a few sips leaving thick lacing on the glass. ABV on the bottle at 7.2%.

After warming a bit the aroma was dominated by both the malts and hops which from my experience was unusual as normally it is either one or the other. Some caramel and coffee hints were also noticeable.

The flavor profile was hop dominated and spicy along with a somewhat sweet wealth of caramel and toasted malts. It possesses a lengthy finish with tones of malty sweetness, caramel, and roasted coffee beans as well as palate cleansing hop bitterness. It is very well balanced, complex and a treat for the tongue.

With good body and light carbonation, and the hop spiciness perfectly balanced by the malty sweetness, the mouth feel is well above my average for strong ales I have tried.

Overall what can I say. Perhaps that perspective is a good thing. As one who “came of age” in the 50’s/60’s, and eagerly sampled the readily available US beers of that period, this beer makes me very happy. Those who have “come of age” since the 1980’s cannot fully appreciate the dramatic difference between the readily available beers I naively quaffed in my 20’s and 30’s and what is available today. And breweries like Stone are the leaders in providing such a drastic difference between then and now. They are paving the future of beer by expanding the envelope beyond what we so eagerly enjoy today.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Served on tap at The Euston Tap in London, a half pint served in an half pint imperial glass.

This would normally be the highlight of my day but i followed it with a glass of Stone Ruination which was even better!

the beer is an Amber color, very hoppy aroma,with a well malted taste with traces of toffee or Caramel. excellent mouthfeel which left me wanting more.

Excellent beer from Stone, it lives up to its reputation.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was truly a magnificent beer all around. It had great fragrance with a super color. I couldn’t stop smiling for the whole three minutes it took to drink it!!

This is one beer you don’t want to serve to cold or else you will lose a large amount of flavor.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into a oversized wine glass. Deep, dark amber color. Outstanding Sticky lacing for the duration.(Over 1 Hour) That being said, I did not drink this brew very quickly as it was indeed quite strong. The smell was good... hops mostly. It is a fairly complex beer in taste but the hops clearly dominate here. I will have to try again to pick up on those complexities. Mouth feel was good although a bit syrupy and sticky which hurt the drinkability. One bottle was enough for the night. Overall a very good beer which I will enjoy again.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells of hops and deep roast. Slight alchohol aroma. Very strong scent for sure.

Taste is strong of hops. this beer has alot of flavors going on aside from the hops. some deeper tones I attribute to roasted malts of some sort. Hops characted remains throughout though.

Feels very strong in your mouth. almost to the point where it's hard to hold onto. I guess this is part of the "strong ale" character.

Extremely drinkable one time. only faulted because it is hard to drink it for an entire night. very heavy feel once it hits your stomach.

All in all this is a good beer. Very Very complex. I think the heavy hops are overpowering and I have trouble recognizing the other flavors

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.