Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Just to start off this is maybe one of my favorite beers of all time. I just love everything about this beer. The first time I had this brew was about two years ago and it kicked me in the face and I instantly got hard. I love the brew and I love Stone Brewery for making this brew.

The bottle has the arrogant bastard gargoyle with a pint of brew. Basically this beer tells you how it is, if you don't like beer or drink yellow fizzy crap then don't even bother buying Arrogant Bastard. I will have to agree, if you don't like Arrogant Bastard you should probably start drinking chocolate milk again because your a little boy.

The appearance is a dark red. An almost bloody brew that pours with a two finger head that quickly disappears. No real lacing that is noticeable, but just a faint spot here and there.

The smell is that of oak, alcohol, hops, and goodness. Which goes along very well with the flavor. It just yells hops and alcohol. I get this real warm flavor that is probably the hops with the alcohol. I just love the way it tastes and the overall mouthfeel. It tastes really good and goes down smooth.

I could drink a few pints of these. I will start buying them more often. BUY AND DRINK THIS BREW!

Jmoore50, Jan 09, 2009

sobeleg, Nov 15, 2011

NickSMpls, Feb 15, 2013

JOrtt, Jul 28, 2013

MaxPowers, Aug 01, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

As I sit here pondering this work of art, the bottle calls out "You are not worthy."

Pours a chill hazed deep amber with a thin but persistent tan head. There is a little bit of lace left on the glass. Aroma is a blend of sweet caramel malt, spicy and floral hops. Flavor bursts in the mouth... coming in all directions... I can't even detect what comes first - it's an all out palate assault. Caramel, pine, citrus, pepper, bread dough, and a bitter spicy finish - incredible balance. Has a thick and full body, and a velvety mouthfeel. As I finished this beer, I wish there were more in the bottle... did I leave even a drop behind?

This is a truly outstanding brew... and I find that I'm one of the few... I am worthy.

zerk, Jan 14, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

It poured into the glass a dark red/brown color. The head was a thick and creamy. The lace seemed sticky and clinged to the sides of the glass to the end. The aroma was strong, dominated by hops and toasted grains with a hint of toffee and/or caramel. The flavor was actually very complex it combined a sweet malt, hoppy bitterness with notes of citrus which did not show up on the nose. This was a very good beer to the end.

Jarod, Nov 26, 2002

Picked up a bottle at Brookline Liquor Mart in Brighton, MA.

A: Dark reddish brown. Brilliant clarity. Pours with a thick and rich tan head that dissipates to a light dusting. Sticky lacing.

S: Nice mellow but prominent musky hop aroma with subtle grapefruit notes. Some sweet malt aroma but decidedly a background characteristic. Pretty prominent yeasty sulpher notes.

T: Flavor is dominated by grapefruit hop flavor. Hop flavor is somewhat soapy. Tannin astringency. Bready malt hanging out in the background. Flavor is strong and aggressive. Slightly woody.

MF: Medium light mouthfeel. Bitterness/hops adds to perception of fullness. Alcohol warming.

Comments/D: A strong in your face aggressive beer. Leans a little heavily on the hop side for me. Drinkability is good. Certainly worth getting more.

Nipitato, Apr 14, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

This is one beer that will definitely throw off your senses; the first thing I smelled was a semi-strong sweet fruity fragrance that resembled some sort of exotic fruit basket. It pours out with a nice thick, light tan head that is a good contrast to dark amber red body of the ale- it’s almost like the picture perfect ale. However, it's mouth feel is creamy and is a bit rough around the edges, but it’s not harsh, and its has a great malty flavor.

vickersspitfire, Dec 15, 2006

Fordknox, Sep 23, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

JC333, Oct 02, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Split a bomber of this with bamadog last night. This is my first experience with AB, and he tells me he thinks the bomber was a little old (no date on bottle). I still liked it a lot, but good to mention just in case this review seems way off.

Appearance: Pours deep reddish-brown with a short, fluffy tan head that fades immediately to a skim. The liquid is clear with light carbonation running throughout, and traces of light, sticky lacing remain.

Smell: Very hardly detectable - only the lightest chewy maltiness comes through.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very sweet, caramelly malts dominate the front end of this brew, followed by sticky, not-too-bitter citrusy hops . The bright, effervescent mouthfeel contributes to the smoothness of the feel, and the aftertaste is slightly bitter and quite sticky.

Drinkability: Really high. There's a nice balance of the flavors going, and it's not nearly as intimidating as the bottle suggests. Perhaps it has mellowed with age.

kels, Mar 10, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

I gave this straight fours a couple of years ago. Lets see how I feel about today. 900 million people have reviewed this brew so I'll make this brief.

Appearance: The pour is ruby with a massive tan head that lasts until the last few sips.

Smell: The nose has citrusy and piney hops in front of caramel malts.

Taste: The flavor profile is about 60/40 hops. Citrus hops come in first and caramel malts enter the mix at the mid-palate, sticking around until the burst of bitterness at the finish. This one is big and balanced.

Mouthfeel: It's fairly smooth, but it still has that Stone stickiness.

Drinkability: I understand why I give it the score I gave it, it just goes to show that palates change from time to time.

goschool, Apr 27, 2007

Dougwillhike, Sep 07, 2013

wiscokid920, Dec 25, 2013

dbrelsfo, Apr 21, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

The back of the bottles describes this as an "aggressive" beer, I was curious as to the meaning of this. After one taste I immediately understood and was instantly hooked. This is one of the best ales ever to pass my lips. The flavor is so complex it was like the fourth of July in my mouth. I can't wait to try their other brews. //12-7-07: I've enjoyed a number of bombers since my initial review including one tonight. This brew is one of the first beers that really lead me to the craft beer craze and for that I am very thankful. Some additional comments in regards to this great beer to complete this review. Pours a dark, burnt copper color with a very large tan head and sticky lacing. A very aromatic hop scent is emitted into the air. Bitter citrus with caramel and sweet breads. I can't believe how well the aroma permeates the air surrounding the top of the glass. Creamy on the palate with a nice bite and puckering finish. Medium bodied and filling. Grand flavor of resinous hops and roasted, sweet malts. A touch nutty, grapefruit and spruce. The flavor sticks to your ribs and assaults the senses. Overall a nicely aggressive and flavorful ale, still one of my favorites that I look forward to returning to every once in a while. A sentimental beer that deserves it's rating.

kinger, Jul 29, 2008

ujsplace, Feb 10, 2013
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.