Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

cantfindme, Dec 04, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A - this was a great looking beer. Strikingly dark orange, almost brown, with a thick head. I gave myself a generous first pour, but I was really captured by the look.

S - good. Lots of citrus and some hop character. Not too sweet or sour.

T - also good. I tasted quite a bit of woody flavor here, not the sweetness or citrus I thought I would. The alcohol content, although low, played a role, but it wasn't intense by any means.

M - this beer was definitely quaffable. I enjoyed the sharp character the semi-carbonation gave it, but it was also smooth and drinkable.

O - I'm not sure how many more times I'll get this one, but it was certainly a good offering. I'd love to try it on tap.

JamesShoemaker, Sep 29, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Gerred, Oct 10, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Very dark, ruby brown color. Nice, thick head, about 1 1/2 inches thick.
Lacing is amazing, and a sight to behold.

S - Pleasant, and aromatic.

T - Wonderful hoppy flavor, grapefruit/cherry is apparent to help with balance, aftertaste is bitter and dry, yet still well balanced.

M - Dry and creamy.

D - Excellent, as the alchohol is well disguised.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers. A must try.

HoustonTX, May 14, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer poured a dark copper with a two-finger tan head. The smell is a bunch of different types of hops including citrus and piney with a thin overlay of malt. The taste starts off With some sweet malt that is cut pretty quickly by some citrusy hops followed by some piney and floral hops with a good balance. The mouthfeel is slightly thick with a moderate amount of carbonation. This is a good beer to be sure, but I think I may prefer to subtleties of the oaked version better.

TheTrevor, Apr 26, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a dark mahogany with a white head that has decent carbonation, very good retention and nice sticky lacing. The nose consists of dark fruits, roasted and sweet malts along with some hops. The taste starts out with some dark fruits, bitter roasted chocolate, caramel, a hint of floral and pine in the hops that bites the tongue. The taste gets more intense after each drink and the alcohol and roasted flavors come through more. The mouthfeel is very smooth and easy to drink for a medium to full body beer. This is one of the most flavorful and tasty strong ales that I have had and I would recommend it.

DannyDan, Jul 30, 2011

Jules11788, Mar 05, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Xzfgiimtsath, May 10, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Enjoyed out of a large stemless red wine glass (serves as a brandy snifter, without the embarassment of "snifting" beer while my friends are drinking it).

A - Pours a dark, deep redish brown, with a two finger, tightly pached, long lasting head. Lacing left all over the glass, lasting until I was finished. Appearance is very appealing.

S - Strong malty notes with a definite piny resinous hop presence.

T - Very malty, with an excellent balance of hoppy bitterness and hoppy flavor (citrus/grapefruit). Caramel notes with hints of alcoholic warmth. Aftertaste lingers as a malty thick moutcoating, but it isn't a bad thing.

M - Thick and oily. Mouthcoating and delicious. Very enjoyable on a cool night.

domtronzero, Aug 31, 2007

miadw3, Jan 10, 2013

Jamstone714, Jul 02, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

NickSMpls, Feb 15, 2013
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Well, I finally got to try my first Stone beer (thanks, Ron), and it was, at the same time, predictable and unpredictable. Predictable in the sense that every overly hyped micro ale I have tried is way too hopped (ie Rogue, Victory). Unpredictable in the sense that it is darker and maltier than I expected. Wonderful, citrus smell entices you (much like the Rogue IPA). Pours beautiful. Dark, mohogany hue, nice head, and impressive lacing. Then you take a sip. Hops. Hops. After a while, the malty notes appear. It is certainly a complex beer, but the bitterness just is too dominant to let any other characteristic (particularly that nice citrus taste that's hiding in there) truly appear. It seems that the only way an American micro-ale can get attention these days is to go nuts with hops. I followed this (and the Rogue IPA) with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and I don't care if people lined up from here to California to swear on the Stone and Rogue, the Sierra is a better beer (IMHO).

(1/2/09) Oh, how foolish we are when we are just learning! The Bastard is one of the best (and most unique) American ales I've had - and I like the Oak even a little better. Funny to read the old reviews before the palate became more refined!

JohnnyDuvel, Apr 29, 2003

smekermann, Sep 05, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Just to start off this is maybe one of my favorite beers of all time. I just love everything about this beer. The first time I had this brew was about two years ago and it kicked me in the face and I instantly got hard. I love the brew and I love Stone Brewery for making this brew.

The bottle has the arrogant bastard gargoyle with a pint of brew. Basically this beer tells you how it is, if you don't like beer or drink yellow fizzy crap then don't even bother buying Arrogant Bastard. I will have to agree, if you don't like Arrogant Bastard you should probably start drinking chocolate milk again because your a little boy.

The appearance is a dark red. An almost bloody brew that pours with a two finger head that quickly disappears. No real lacing that is noticeable, but just a faint spot here and there.

The smell is that of oak, alcohol, hops, and goodness. Which goes along very well with the flavor. It just yells hops and alcohol. I get this real warm flavor that is probably the hops with the alcohol. I just love the way it tastes and the overall mouthfeel. It tastes really good and goes down smooth.

I could drink a few pints of these. I will start buying them more often. BUY AND DRINK THIS BREW!

Jmoore50, Jan 09, 2009

sobeleg, Nov 15, 2011

JOrtt, Jul 28, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

As I sit here pondering this work of art, the bottle calls out "You are not worthy."

Pours a chill hazed deep amber with a thin but persistent tan head. There is a little bit of lace left on the glass. Aroma is a blend of sweet caramel malt, spicy and floral hops. Flavor bursts in the mouth... coming in all directions... I can't even detect what comes first - it's an all out palate assault. Caramel, pine, citrus, pepper, bread dough, and a bitter spicy finish - incredible balance. Has a thick and full body, and a velvety mouthfeel. As I finished this beer, I wish there were more in the bottle... did I leave even a drop behind?

This is a truly outstanding brew... and I find that I'm one of the few... I am worthy.

zerk, Jan 14, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

It poured into the glass a dark red/brown color. The head was a thick and creamy. The lace seemed sticky and clinged to the sides of the glass to the end. The aroma was strong, dominated by hops and toasted grains with a hint of toffee and/or caramel. The flavor was actually very complex it combined a sweet malt, hoppy bitterness with notes of citrus which did not show up on the nose. This was a very good beer to the end.

Jarod, Nov 26, 2002

Picked up a bottle at Brookline Liquor Mart in Brighton, MA.

A: Dark reddish brown. Brilliant clarity. Pours with a thick and rich tan head that dissipates to a light dusting. Sticky lacing.

S: Nice mellow but prominent musky hop aroma with subtle grapefruit notes. Some sweet malt aroma but decidedly a background characteristic. Pretty prominent yeasty sulpher notes.

T: Flavor is dominated by grapefruit hop flavor. Hop flavor is somewhat soapy. Tannin astringency. Bready malt hanging out in the background. Flavor is strong and aggressive. Slightly woody.

MF: Medium light mouthfeel. Bitterness/hops adds to perception of fullness. Alcohol warming.

Comments/D: A strong in your face aggressive beer. Leans a little heavily on the hop side for me. Drinkability is good. Certainly worth getting more.

Nipitato, Apr 14, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Geuzedad, Jun 23, 2013

Lambocalrisien, Jul 14, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

kwkdmk, Jun 13, 2013

russwilliam, Jul 26, 2013
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.