Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,914 | Hads: 9,986
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Wow what a beer. There is no surprise this comes from Stone Brewing Company. This beer has a great head, appearance, and taste. It has a nice hopped bit to it, and a delicious citrus tang. I feel this beer has a strong body with a great mouthfeel, coats well and leaves a delightful linger. One of my personal favotite American Strong style beers.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer poured a nice pleasent mahogany brown color. It had a nice foamy head that stuck trough my drinking. I prefer it cold, when it got warm the taste sorta got over powering. The mouthfeel was rather heavy but pleasant. It tasted fantastic with some great hot wings!!! It finished a lil strong for my taste but when I am in the mood for a heavier beer I would definately go for this one!!!!

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

well... just what you would expect from Greg.... a beer named for him... JUST KIDDING!!

I think that what Stone is doing is great. Greg Koch has brought the beer that is brewed on the left coast to the peak... With the epic series... and the other beers Stone is brewing I never pass up a bottle of something new when i stop at the beer store.

Arrogant Bastard... the redish appearance almost makes you think that you are going to drink unfermented carbonated wort... But on the first sip you realize that you are drinking an arogant bastard of a beer....

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A very deep amber/red colored beer that forms a decent head white head that left trace lace as it subsided. An aroma of malt and hops with some caramel elements. It has an interesting flavor to it. A flavor of malt, hops and carmel. A bit stronger than I like my beers unless they're heavier to offset the taste of alcohol. So the finish was a bit heavy alcohol wise, but still another fine Stone product.c

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

22 oz bottle from Fred Meyers in WA State.

Deep reddish brown pour, solid frothy head that stayed around to chat for a while. You lacing fans will be happy with this one, though I don't personally believe lacing matters.

Nose is nothing special, sour bar room stale keg odor. Oh, but the first sip was spectacular! Bold malt and bitter hops that will give you goosebumps. Several other notes round off this ale.

Mouthfeel is med-heavy, but balanced well with the mild carbonation.

Aftertaste is of those complex notes I spoke of (and I'll gag if anyone describes those notes as chocolate or cocoa, because they are not.)

Watch out! The 7.2 abv will sneak up on you.
This just might be my new favorite ale.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

I've had two bottles of this beer in the past weekend. This beer is what it promises except for the fact that it states "You probably won't like it." It is aggressive(a commonality among Stone beers), hoppy, and malty.

This beer is somewhere in between I.P.A. and double I.P.A. It pours a nice redish, with an aroma of hops and fruit. Generally double I.P.A.'s I've tried have had a powerful grapefruit characteristic. This beer had a balance of the hop character of a highly-hopped single I.P.A., and a fruit after-taste of a double I.P.A. It is one of the most complex brews I have tried recently. This is definitely worth picking up for any hop lover.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

What to say about a beer that told me in advance I wouldn't like it...

In general, they were wrong, I did enjoy it. The first quarter of the bomber was spent just trying to orient myself to the extremely bold yet complex flavor of the beer. Once my mouth and brain adjusted I enjoyed the majority of the beer finding it to be bold obviously, but also decently balanced, only slightly too bitter for my taste as times. The final quarter of the bomber was a challenge however. I found the alcohol to really take over and the bitterness to be too much to handle. I did finish the beer, but considered dumping the bottom of the glass more than once.

Service: Pint. Drank to halfway then refilled with the remainder of the bomber. 50 degrees.

Appearance: dark amber, translucent but not cloudy. Very thick head, three-four fingers that stayed for half the beer.

Smell: Excellent, very hoppy but surprisingly inviting.

Taste: Described above. Generally balanced but very aggressive.

Mouthfeel: Unremarkable, I left neither impressed or unimpressed.

Drinkablity: Described above. For all the build up I was expecting something more undrinkable. I enjoyed the majority of the beer but would have preferred a 12oz bottle to a bomber.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Pour/Appearance: Deep chestnut brown with a red hue. 1 finger head slowly dissipated with moderate glass lacing.

Smell: Lemon citrus and a floral bouquet.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and low carbonation

Taste: Lemon and grass hops with a bit of caramel up front. A complex beer with changing taste throughout from less bitter up front to more bitter towards the middle. Rather complex, yet well-balanced on the whole.

Overall: When I first tasted this ale I said "wow." Though I've tasted many ales, and even several with the same characteristics described above, there was something about this particular one that stood out from the crowd in a positive way from the first sip.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours reddish amber with a very slight orange tint and a off white head that forms a ring after a few minutes and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is sweet with a floral hoppiness and some earthy, pine scent as well. Taste is splendid has a sweet hoppy bitterness with a distinct pine flavor along with some fruity sweetness. Body is medium. Has a nice alcohol burn at the end.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

After trying Stone's IPA and loving it, I decided to pick up a pint, 6oz bottle of Stone Arrogant Bastard ale at a grocery store in VA. I was not disappointed.

Appearance: Pours a dark caramel color with a thin head. This was maybe the least appealing aspect of this beer.

Smell: Hoppier than anticipated. Rich, complex and enticing scent.

Taste: Lives up to the scent and then some. Smooth at first, with a grapefruit-like kick towards the finish. there's a pleasant mixture of hops, malt and alcohol that lingers in the mouth after you swallow.

Mouthfeel: Slightly flat, as anticipated due to the thin head that this beer poured.

Overall: fantastic beer out of California. Would recommend and will buy again.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Similar to an amber color with a slightly colored caramel head.
S- I get some hops and a little malt at the same time with every whiff.
T- Slight hop taste that sticks around on the pallet after swallowing.
M- Pretty smooth with unexpected hints of hops very good.
O- Overall very enjoyable beer. Would recommend to any pale ale/IPA lover.
I havent had a beer from Stone brewery that I didnt like

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an tumbler. I took this beer out of the fridge and waited a bit beforehand for it to warm up a hair. Would have preferred a stein, but I only have one stein large enough to fit and it was dirty at the time, so went with the tumbler.

A - Medium pour produced a golden to orange then finally to moderately brown hue. Two to two and a half finger tan head was produced, which proved to be relatively persistent through my entire experience with this beer. An abundance of quality lacing as well.

S - There's just something about its earthy smell that I LOVE... hard to put my finger on it. A hint of sour and citrus hops and a bit of caramel and malt as well.

T - It's like a battle going down in my mouth.... hoppy like whoa, and citrus and pine, and strong caramel malts as well. A little less dry than I expected for the somewhat high abv. Finish is hardly dry, more bitter.

M - Very heavy but smooth in the mouth, with a bit of hops oil that remains.

D - Well.... what can I say? I want to drink about a million of these.... however, I could only have, say, a few 22oz bottles of this strong brew before I stopped making any sense... it's filling, be warned.... but for a guy with a high metabolism like me, not much of a problem.

All in all, a curious brew that falls between classification... thus, an "American Strong Ale". I would recommend at least giving it a whorl to everyone.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance- Deep reddish/brownish color with a two and a half finger tannish head.

Smell- Unbelievable. This is one of those beers that smells just as good as it tastes. Citrusy smell. Very fruity and malty. I seriously spent a while just smelling it before I tasted it.

Taste- First thing that hits you it a bit of hoppy citrusy bitterness but then it is balanced out with a really nice carmely malt taste. After you swallow it it leaves a bit of a bitter taste in your mouth, but not bitter in a bad way. Kind of like after you eat something very citrusy.

Really excellent beer overall. I will buy it again and again and again.

Love it!

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It poured a beautiful deep amber color with a tan head that left quite a bit of lacing. The aroma is a hoppy and floral with some lingering spices. Taste is malty up front with sweet spices, some tangerine maybe also. Then there is an abundance of hops that explode in your mouth, and it finishes clean. There is slight carbonation up front, with nice creamy mouthfeel. Drinkability is fairly good. I'm on the bandwagon, very nice brew.

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%

I have heard so much about this infamous beer, and even had the privilege of sampling some a while back. Reminded me of a stout and IPA hybrid... I thought it was tasty enough for me to go pick one up for myself to review.
Served a hair over 50 degrees F in Pint Glass, listening to Genghis Tron's "Dead Mountain Mouth". Let's just say that my mouth is not dead after this hell of a beer.
The pour produced a full 1cm light tan creamy head. It shrank to just a very very thin (almost non-existent) layer after just a few lengthy minutes, but it stayed until the bottom of my glass. The lacing was patchy but there was a good amount of it, and a bit of it stuck around for a very long time.
The smell is mellow, but pure hops that are slightly sharp (almost pine-y). It's also pretty "warm" too, in other words, either roasted or Dark fruit scents were accompanying all those hops. There may also be some flowery characteristics of a typical ale that were trying to be known in my nose.
The taste, also, is translated simply as "hops". Now it is at the tongue , yes, they definitely are roasted. Not too much though, like, say, a stout. There may also be some semi-sweet caramel nuances in here, but if so, it just blends with the roasted/smoked flavors. It is a little alcoholic, but that is typical of a strong ale (duh), and the flavor is very consistent from sip to finish. What wins me over though, is the epic aftertaste. It doesn't matter if I already put my glass down and started writing some more notes, I am still drinking this thing. One sip, and you are tasting those hops for a good 10 minutes.
In the mouth, that flavor is made amazing by the fact that this a full-bodied beer. And hey, it's also very smooth, and a just little bit sticky. Great carbonation levels as well. Love it!
I like how personal the huge ass bottle is as far as drinkability goes, but I can see how it could be intimidating to some. Thankfully, they sell this in smaller 6 packs now.
Not much else I can say about this beer... just a very straight-forward design executed with great brilliance and attention to detail.
I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a very hoppy ale to knock them on their ass.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer is exactly what it advertises. It packs a punch! Not at all ordinary, it pours a light cloudy brown. The smell is complex, with hops and malt present. Once you take a sip and it hits your belly, you have to drink the rest. It has a strong hop taste but finishes refreshing and has a luring aftertaste. Unless you appreciate finer tastes, "You're not worthy"TM

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

I only got this beer because of the name. I definitely recommend trying it just for the experience

A: It was good, lots of color, nice head.

S: Full of interesting smells. The smells almost outweigh the presence of the beer and give a false impression, but still good.

T: Very hoppy, much more than expected. AB has a very distinctive after taste.

M: I am not a fan of the in your face feel. I would say that it gave me the impression of drinking an IPA or NB.

D: I can only drink maybe 20oz then I am done. It is a good beer to have a bottle of, but a 6-pack is too much for me.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bomber in to a pint glass. Pours a dark cloudy amber color with an off white thick head. The head seems to stick around as I drink, remaining about a pinky fingertip's width high down the glass.

I pick up some citrus and sweetness and pine in the smell.

There's some bitterness to the taste, and I can taste the high-ish ABV. A bit of a smokeyness in there. Maybe even a bit of bit chocolate at the end?

Feels bubbly in my mouth. Rather creamy.

Very drinkable. Goes down easily. Happy to sip on this one and will be happy to buy it again.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given the 2k plus reviews - there is not much more one can say about this beer. It's drinkable, flavorful, and an absolute ground breaker. Craft beer owes a lot to this brew. And for us ad guy types hardly any one does that side of the equation better. All beer lovers should doff their caps.

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks dark red... redness really comes out when holding up to a light. Its very clear. Nice tan head that retains itself.

Very mild on the nose... hoppy with some other characteristics that are difficult to break down... bitter and caramel

On the tongue it is hoppy with some floral notes... carmel... bitter... long finish

Feels good in the mouth... hops noticeable... perfect amount of carbonation... feels alive

Overall... another solid product form Stone... not my favorite... but happy drinking it

Fantastic beer.

A: Dark Deep Amber color
S: Strong, hoppy aroma
T: Hoppy/Malty Bitter and Sweet with a bready finish.
M: Medium body with mild carbonation
O: Great beer, especially those who haven't had a stone beer

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Opened a bomber straight from the fridge and it fizzed over. Poured a great looking, dark, reddish body with a huge, tan head. Head was thick and creamy. This is a really good looking beer. Smell didn't hit too strong... light maple, and something roasted. Taste was not what I expected. It's like a stout, thrown into a Boston Lager, and chased with a hop bomb.

The carbonation kept a nice, thin head until the end of the glass, but it wasn't prickly on the tongue. Tasted smooth and thick. I swear i caught a chocolate covered cherry at the beginning of the sip, then caramel roasted malt, and on to a heavy, bitter hop taste. Aftertaste was a little too tart on the tongue, but besides that you wouldn't guess at the abv.

Stayed away from stone for a Long time. The bottles turned me off and looked a little too gimmicky... something I would have seen way back in my fraternity days just sitting on someone's shelf for decoration. Bombers were on sale so I gave it a try. Glad I did. I'll definitely be back to pick up a few more.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark amber large head with good lacing. Much more visually appealing than most beers. It's not overly aromatic but I'm detecting malts earthy hops and maybe hints of light Carmel and black licorice. Taste is more earthy hop forward with malt backbone and lingering hop finish. You still taste the hints of Carmel and licorice but it's very drowned out by the hops and also the alcohol that is very pronounced in the flavor. A very good beer overall and will definitely purchase again.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Served on draught, I was presented with a very dark red mahogany brew with a thin creamy head that clings to the glass all the way to the bottom. The nose did not impress me as much as the toasted malty flavor. The balance of malts to hops was nicely done with just enough bittering bite on the tongue to keep it interesting. The alcohol taste didn't hint to the 7.1%. If you want this as a session beer it will be a short night.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Had this on numerous occasions, and let me say that this beer truly lives up to its name. It's an in-your-face type of beer all-around, from start to finish.

Appearance is reddish oak with an ivory head.

Smell is very aggressive and enticing; it's pretty much taunting at you to try it and not be a wuss.

The taste reminds one of a pure IPA; it gives the tastebuds a good kick in the ass with its strong citrusy and hoppy notes.

Mouthfeel is the same way, although it goes down smoothly.

Strong characteristics make this beer enjoyable, but not something you would want to drink over and over again.

Other than that, I'd highly recommend this beer being a fixture in anyone's fridge.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.