Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

A dark amber color with a excellent creamy head. Strong hop aroma, from flowers to earthy scents. The first taste has a little bit of barley there, then BAM, the hops come right out and announce their presence. The mouthfeel is slightly rich, but is still very smooth going down, leaving a nice dry finish. Overall this beer backs up the label, AGGRESIVE, the intense hop flavor make this a must try beer.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a reddish brown color with a nice sized, creamy, light tan colored head. Nice lacing left on the glass, great head retention. Aroma is sweet caramel, toasted grains, fruit, and citrusy hops.

Taste is sharp of citrusy hops predominantly, with a bit of herbal tones in there. Sweet caramel undertones are present, with some toasted malt also in the background. Mouthfeel is smooth and full. Very easy to drink. A very good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Had on tap at Rattle N Hum in New York City. Served in a tulip. Review from notes.

Never had this on tap before, so I'm excited to see how this is when its as fresh as you can get it.

Look: red body with a thin layer of creamy, white lacing with good retention and lacing.

Smell: holy Chinook hops. Light caramel and dark fruit, but mostly the aggressive aromas of Chinook; grapefruit and resin.

Taste: follows the nose with a fairly harsh hop attack; citrus and pine beating my tastebuds down. Caramel, bread, and brown sugar are there too but too weak to balance anything out.

Feel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, alcohol hidden. Not something you'd wanna session; it overwhelms my palate so it isn't something I would get a second glass of.

Overall: the difference between the bottle and the tap of this is extraordinary. While the label on the bottle seems to be hyperbole, it accurately describes the tap version. Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

The color is a deep mahogany with a creamy light brown head - quite a sight sitting in the pint glass begging to be explored more.

In the nose it smelled of a mountain pine forest. The pine comes through strong, but it is clear, clean. On second smell, I could detect a hint of floral sweetness, which did not come through in the taste.

The bitter piney notes hit in the back of the mouth, while a cool almost cucumber taste balances it out for a smoothe delivery up front. It finishes with a lingering bitterness that would be nicely accompanied with something sweet - I'm thinking whoopie pies.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, tomorrow is last day of classes and I meant to save my baby for then. But, not paying attention, I accidently grabbed this from my fridge when I meant to grab a Koch's and I had opened this before I realized it. Oh well...

My tongue is in spasim. This is my kinda beer. Big, rich, full, dark, and flavor packed--especially in bittering qualities. Notes of grapefruit, lemon, bittersweet spices, etc overwhelm the taste buds. Mellowing carmel malts take some off this bastards bite, but it is still one mean beer. Warming yet fitting for a nice spring day...one bomber is all thats needed to take the stress of four classes off my mind. With that in mind Im gonna cut this review short. While I do love writing reviews its too pretty outside and I have a far too good of a beer not to be outside enjoying both.

one last word--WOW--Gonna give every effort to track down a sample of the double bastard once I go home.

WOW

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

This brutal little number poured out with a very nice looking colour that was crimson to purple. It formed a substantial creamy head of tan that held nicely and left gobs of lacing as the drink was drunk.

The nose is nicely arranged with fresh floral hoppiness. It is somewhat grassy and herbal, but mostly citrus bloom. The malt character underneath smells potent and mixes with a biting alcohol scent to throw some roughness on the pile. Crusty. Stinging. Astringent. But a lovely bloom of hoppiness.

The taste is not all that special. I think it is a bit abrasive for my tastes. I have no problem with the decent amount of hop character displayed here. In fact, that is the saving grace for this brew. It has a crusty and biting side to it that is not all that appealing to me. I guess I am not worthy, but this is just not my style. It just feels dirty and brutal save for the hops. This feels more assaultive than many huge brews that I've had. Astringent.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice body to it. It is just wasted on a sort of wild charactered brew. Coats the mouth nicely and the head throws off some creaminess.

The drinkability is average. I see no reason to drink this when there are beers that are much less offensive that have a true style to them. By far the worst Stone beer that gets the most press and praise. The strong ale catch all is just not a solid situation. I prefer structure. This is a bit messy for me. If this thing were about 14% abv, I think I would be more appreciative of it because I could forgive some of the harsh abrasiveness. As it stands it tastes like a monster only it is not really that strong considering. This beer has a great name. I wish it deserved to be so arrogant though. I think some people have been punked out by the smack talk on the bottle. Nice Jedi mind tricks. Stone's other products are much more deserving of the praise. They make some truly stellar beers. That being said, I am not feeling this one and I will not pretend to be.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

pours a reddish brown with red hues from the light, beige head that quickly drops into a thin haze.
the aroma is very rich, malty, earthy, hop funk, a hint of some fruit maybe apricots or peaches.
the flavor is very rich with malt, hopsack,carmelized malt, fruit maybe apricots, lingering bitterness.
this is an awersome beer, so glad there is distro in michigan now.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A: Pours a hazy, murky reddish orange with two fingers of mocha colored head. Carbonation is minimal to moderate. Head retention, on the other hand....that is great. Rocky and awesome.

S: Pine, hops, malt syrup, floral notes, spice notes...maybe a little ginger.

T: Toasted sap, spruce, pine nuts, dark fig. The malt subtleties are much more noticeable in this beer than the other "standard" Stone beers. The hop punch is less prevalent. The bitterness is less cloying...less burning. This is balanced with a beer that is large on a roasted malt and dark fruit flavor. The combination of the roastiness and nutiness of the malt, in combination with the fruit characteristics and the bitterness of the hops makes for a damn balanced taste.

M: Deliciously balanced, if not a bit on the dry and carbonated side.

O: Another brew that is simultaneously opulent and balanced. Stone shows that they are one of the best.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance- Deep rich Burgundy color with a nice frothy head, which laced nicely all the way down the glass.

Smell- Smells of Chinook, biscuity, malty, and a very nice bread-like aroma

Taste-bitter up front, middle, and end. Come to think of it, this is one bitter beer. The bitterness even lingered around on my palate after I swallowed. The beer had a nice crisp clean taste overall. Stars with a warming alcohol sensation and end with some major hops.

Mouthfeel- Nice mix of malt and hops. Nice full bodied beer, surprisingly easy to drink despite it's original gravity.

Drinkability- Great beer, not a good choice for a session beer, but I could probably enjoy three of these in one sitting without any trouble, just get a Designated driver.
I really like this beer, and would put it in my top ten list

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%

Bomber from Cork & Bottle for 4.99 served in an SA glass.

A pretty reddish-copper brew fills my glass with only a small amount of white foam on top. The aroma is predominately hops with a bit of pine added in. It tastes like some DIPAs I've had, with that intensity of hops but with an added bit of toffee and cocoa. The body is dense, but not porter level. It has a mild dryness but it doesn't detract from enjoying the brew. I'm glad i went with this impulse buy, but I wish it was actually available in Iowa.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Having enjoyed the Stone IPA, I was taken by the high rating displayed on a tag in front of the beer, so I thought it was worth a try. Pours like a super creamy British Brown Ale with a tall frothy tan colored whipped cream head that sticks around for an eternity.

Not getting the powerful aroma of hops in the nose as much as a malt explosion: sure, the hops are in there, you can certainly get a whiff of them amongst the caramel and bread tones that dominate.

Flavor reminds me of a highly hopped British Ale, more specifically the Landlord Strong Ale by Timothy Taylor. There is a degree of toastiness to this ale that takes center stage in the flavor, and while interesting, not exceptional.... something lacking the way my palate reacts, sort of a cough syrupy & malty toasty aftertaste that seems to be halfway to a black IPA.

A reasonable buy at $5 for the bomber, but there is a sort of rich heaviness to it that wasn't inviting me back for another sip. Worth a try? Why the hell not, but fans of tart cloudy IPAs are not likely to be back for a second helping.

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.