Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,890 | Hads: 9,868
4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

From begining this ale is wonderful, the mouthfull of fruitiness that is lifted into the palate and then the onl thing is the more drinks I get into this wonderful concogtion the less I tend to like it, but either way I still like this drink and in my opinion not a drink for everyone.. (286 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

i loved drinking this beer.
the label is so funny.
this beer is a legend in my life. all of my friends always talked it up so one day i finally decided to try it. and... I LOVED IT.

this is a beer that goes down smooth and taste great.
kinda expensive but its worth it in my opinion. (285 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

the name says it all. even the label is arrogant. this brew is a very crisp ale with slight bitterness and can also be purchased as double ale. the ABV makes this brew a little bit of a kick, and the price is a little high, but the taste and smell dont let you down. it comes in a four pack as well along with three other Stone brews. excellent, thank you. (356 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%

This is a nice dark ale. It looks kind of like Shiner in a glass but quite stronger. I can only buy it on tap or in 22oz, but its worth it. Just be ready for the kick. It is much stronger than other ales and will knock you back if you aren't ready. It isn't for the faint of heart or weak tasting beer lovers. (309 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer is my go to. It has a great taste and is easy to get anywhere for the reasonable price. I have had this on draught as well and its even better. If you are an ale fan this is one to try or retry. I would like to try and make my own personal brew similar to this one. (275 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark amber looking, reddish with a light head. Good lacing. Head retains well.

S: Caramel, flowery hop smell. Smells sweet.

T: Hops on the forefront. Good hop aftertaste. Tiny hint of chocolate. Floral hops. Aggressive yet stayed balanced enough to enjoy. A little sweet too.
M: Smooth and drinkable, I thought it was a nice medium body, everything reacts and bubbles on tongue.

O: Very awesome beer. I love it and will drink again. (465 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bottle.
A: a nice dark gold color with a goldish white head.
S: very hoppy like an ipa. light malt lingers with the hoppy smell.
T: very very hopppy for an ale. i would say its an aggressive strong ale. maybe some caramel.
M: lots of carb but easy on the palate. very drinkable.
O: i really would consider this a double ipa. otherwise a solid beer! (353 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to beer. Having the luxury to live in San Diego gives me the pleasure of picking up this liquid gold for cheap.

A- Dark red/copper with a beige head. Great lacing down the pint.
S- Burst of hops! Citrus, pine, and grass smells aplenty with a sweet malt backing.
T- Bitter citrus hops accompanied with sweet malt and molasses.
M- Smooth, great carbonation, satisfyingly "thick"
O- If you haven't had this beer, get it. It is the sole reason I became the huge hop head I am. Huge hops with huge sweet malt. It's a perfect pairing. My favorite from Stone. (567 characters)

Definitely a beer that knocked me off my feet but still tastes really good.

Hoppiest beer out there but has a finish that doesn't make you regret getting it.

I grab a pint of Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA pretty much every weekend. (236 characters)

Appearance: Medium brown in color

Smell: The aromatics on this beer are great you can smell the hops, a slight pine, with an orange grapefruit appeal.

Taste: This medium bodied beer is great. Good hoppie bitterness and you can taste the chocolate malts and roasted flavors.

Mouth feel: it goes down smooth, if your not use to hoppie beers, keep to your fuzzy wussies beers like the bottle say, cause your not worthy.

Overall: This is my beer of choice. This is the beer that got me into craft beer and ultimately brewing. With this beer your either a fan or you don't know what real beer is. (596 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was at an italian restaurant when I saw this name on the menu!... I had to try it. The alcohol content on this one must be high, because one of these big bottle s and i was G to the O-N-E. I just remember it tasting really awesome. I have had more and plan to drink more when I can. I'm sorry, I don't have any better details then this, but that's all I remember! (370 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

The first thing I notice is the burnt red color of the beer and the persistent head.
The aroma is very hoppy and an apple sweetness.The mouth feel is very smooth and slightly weighty on the tongue. Although it is smooth the flavor is very strong and to the point with lots of hops and caramel. The finish is quite bitter leaving the need for another taste.
I very much enjoyed this beer and would definitely recommend this beer to anyone looking for a beer with a dominent flavor!!! (488 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%

22 oz. bottle slowly poured into a pint glass (a few times to get it all)

Got this beer at the local liquor superstore. A little pricey, but they can get just about whatever you want.

Appearance: Very dark amber/kinda chocolatey in color, large head about a a finger and a half that persisted for quite a good time. Good lacing. Looks thick as pine tar

Smell: Hops, hops and more hops. Fruity, citrusy esters present, most definitely piney.

Taste: Now for the good part. This beer is stout, hoppy, citrusy and piney. Absolutely wonderful. Very warming as well. Bitter, yes, but so full of flavor it would be worthless if not for the bite it has.

Mouthfeel: Very, very creamy and a little fizzy at times. Easy to drink for how stout it is. Full bodied.

Drinkability: Rather easy for what it is, but if you are looking for a session beer, unless you like full bodied kick you in the shins ales, then this beer isn't for you. It will make you appreciate the subtleties of strong hops though.

Overall, I LOVE THIS BEER! First time I had it was at the Beer Sellar (actual spelling) in Newport, KY on tap, and it only keeps getting better every time I drink it. A definite A if not REALLY close to an A+

By the way, the warmer it got, the better it got. This beer really has it all... (1,287 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Pouring this one tonight for some friends, wanted to get familiar.

Appearance:
A red hued honey amber. Very tiny bits of gas bubbling below the surface. The head was a medium packed morange of slightly, slightly, orange cream color. The head retreats to the sides of the glass, leaving some whipped looking islands.

Smell:
I want to say a mix of toffee and pineapple. When I get my snout further into the glass, and go beyond the exploratory sniff, the citrus notes slide away to reveal the hot pins of alcohol. It is a pleasant transformation of aromas.

Taste:
Sweet, not really what I expected but very enjoyable. The grapefruit/pineapple is definetly there, with less malt than I had thought. The toffee nose is misleading. I expected a fatter a malt assault, but didn't get too much. After the sweetness, the tide of bitters came washing in to scourge the palate. It conveyed an overall refreshing taste, as opposed to the big belly weigh down I thought it would be.

Moutful:
Mild amount of carbonation, feels like more because of the hops. Has a nice sharp moutful and a good clean up. The sweet comes in, fizzes a bit, then is broomed up by bitters. The hops do linger a bit on the tongue though after a good scrubbing.

Drinkability:
Really nice, not the belly bomb I thought it would be. I could see it being a great food beer, but also would be a good "on the deck after mowing the lawn" beverage. Bottom line, it is alot less mouth fatty and more refreshing than I expected. Even better as it gets to room temperature, and burns off some of its tightness. (1,571 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5%

Poured dark amber with a slight red tint. The thin white head nicely laced the glass. A very powerful hop aroma was evident immediately upon pouring. Floral hops and freshly cut grass aromas wafted from the glass. Massive hops dominated the flavor, with floral and grassy notes. The finish was bitter and lip-puckering dry. The hop aftertaste lingered. No balancing act here, this beer is all about the hops. I liked it though. I felt it offered something outside the norm. (473 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%

I've heard about this beer for a while, but never gotten around to trying it. I wish I hadn't waited so long!

A: Pours thick. A darker caramel color, with a larger head that lingers.

S: Hops, hops and more hops, and a bit of citrus.

T: Delicious. A nice grapefruit taste to start off, then a big hit of the hops, finishing with a bit more grapefruit and maybe a hint of pine.

M: A bit thick, but very enjoyable. Definitely not something to chug down at a frat party.

D: Because it's so big, I don't think I could drink more than a couple of these in a night, but boy does it go down smooth. (595 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6%

This is my favorte beer. Its is very drinkable but has the sublte alcohol notes along with an almost nutty essance and overall hoppy charecteristics. Its got great between dark and amber color. Its got a mild head that laces pretty good in the glass. (250 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a dark red amber color with a nice thick, healthy head.
nice roasted malt aroma and sweet caramel, with a great citrus hop tone, reminded me of a very bitter grapefruit.
the grapefruit citrus flavor carries on to the taste, with a lingering malty aftertaste, with a nice hoppy kick. very nice dry finish, great beer, hope to get my hands on some more. (357 characters)

4.18/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle.

Great looking beer. Very clear, ruby/garnet color. A thick, rocky head that sticks to the sides of my mug, forming huge penisulas of solid foam.

I get a huge hit of grapefruit for aroma. A slight bready-ness.

Taste is a sharp sweetness, quickly mixing with citrus/grapefruit. The alcohol is present and pleasant. I get a little bit of a dark chocolate kind of taste (that I also find in Duvel). Aftertaste is very nice, biscuits or bread.

Drinkablity is high for a beer of this substantial character. (519 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%

This is my first site review, and first review of anything by Stone Brewing Co. Arrogant Bastard Ale is an excellent beer going down. Has a great start, mouthfeel, and finish. I'm enjoying mine as I'm writing this. Looks wonderful in a glass, has a beautiful amber glow to it, with lots of froth. Poured wonderfully from bottle to glass. (337 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Hands down one of the best strong ales out there. Probably my favorite.

The entire bastard line is fantastic. If you've never had any of the 'Bastards'; Might as well start with the original yeah?

Everything about this brew drips awesome.

The first thing i notice every time is the quality smell. It really sets up the flavor for the entire Arrogant Bastard Experience. (374 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -11.2%

The beer's appearance is a very nice and dark brown amber color. Almost to the point where you can't see through the glass, so you can assume its going to be a very strong taste.

The smell is very hoppy, which you would expect because Stone claims to have very an insane amount of hops in their beer. The smell isn't extremely strong though, and some of their other beers have a much stronger scent.

The taste is very nice, a sort of slap you in the face with hops type of deal. That's basically it though. Stone beers are usually not that extremely complex, so what you get here is simple but good. It's also a very bitter beer, so if that's not your thing I wouldn't try and get one of these down.

I'm not really impressed with the mouthfeel. It has the basic mouthfeel of most ales. Some of their other beers like the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale has a much better texture.

Overall I would say this is a very nice beer. But if hoppy as hell bitter beers are not your thing, I wouldn't waste your time. But if you like IPA beers I would grab one of these 22's the next time you get a chance. They are kind of expensive usually around 6 bucks for one of these, and some of their others are even more expensive but its well worth it. (1,240 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours copper-brown, redish. Nice foam becomes thin and persistant. Aromas of toasted caramel, nut, grass and floral hops. Taste medium sweetness, medium-heady bitterness, caramel, nut, alcool at the end. Medium bodied, bitter finish last long. Really good beer. (261 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

This was my very first ale. First few sips kind of had me thinking what the hell is that...The bitterness almost overwhelmed me. Keep in mind I drank only lagers before trying this. But after a few sips of it it just grew on me. Ever since I have been buying more ales than lagers. I have this beer to thank for that. It got me into a whole new world. It indeed, turned me into a hop head.

Never had an "American strong ale" to compare it with but its a pretty regular beer for me. I enjoy it a lot. Good beer for a hop head. (527 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer! You have to have a taste for a stronger tasting beer to enjoy this one. Poured a darker brown color. Taste is hoppy, barley like. Not bad at all and will get again. I personally like a hoppy taste. I would say that it is just under the taste of an IPA. It also had about an index finger width worth of head on it that was tannish in color. (355 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.