Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,814 | Reviews: 2,967

I have passed this beer for a year now but today I decided I wanted sometrhing different. I love Stone and usually drink the IPA.
I was ver surprised when I took my first sip! Instant 5 out of 5 stars!!!
Taste does not always reflect color! Very Fresh Taste, crisper than I thought. ABV... enough said, and smell is clean and not overwhelming.

I'll have you know, Mr. Gargoyle, I AM WORTHY and I love your Beer. Top 10 on my personal list - best beer by Stone in my opinion.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

I had my first AB at Monk's in Philly. I have to say that is a good beer. It was too dark to really get a good look at the appearance, but from what I could see it was a nice cherry or mahogany wood color.
Nice frothy head.
The taste is the best part of this beer. I'm still working on how to describe beers, but all I can say is that this beer is pretty intense. Lots of flavor. I couldn't drink 'em all night, but I could drink 'em every night.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance-Pours a a dark ruby red with a 1 finger off white head, lacing clings to my arrogant bastard glass rather nicely.

Smell-a complex layering of malt, hops, fruit and caramel.

Taste-A big bold beer containing citrus and hoppy overtones along with a milder taste of carmel and coffee hinting the balance of hops and malt. This beer is named arrogant bastard of good reason, it is arrogant because it believes it can get away with all the tastes it wants and is a bastard because it smacks you in the mouth with those flavors.

Drinkability-Not necessarily a session beer but still a great beer

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a deep amber color with a soft, cream-colored head. Beautiful. The nose contains only a faint whiff of the 7.2% ABV of this brew. Hops are readily apparent right up front, but I could be saying that because I'm midway through the bottle and the hop aftertaste reminds me of an IPA.

As far as taste goes: woah. A firm, sweet, roasted malt texture hits first, followed immediately by a brutal blast of bitter hops. It takes most of the bottle to detect all the flavors here, especially across the temperature range.

This is one to hand your wine nerd friends to prove the legitimacy of us BeerAdvocates. Most wine nerds I've shared it with haven't liked it (hey, the gargoyle has no patience for wineos), but have at least been forced to admit that beer is a craft at least equal to winemaking in scope and depth.

What an excellent creation Stone hath wrought!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

I had this one on tap several years before joining BA. To be honest I ordered because I thought the name was clever. I enjoyed quite a bit though. Recently a co-worker of mine gave me a bottle of this for helping her. I thought it was a great gestrue but can't help but think she pictures me as an arrogant bastard. Oh well, you can't please everyone, on to the review.

Appearance: Deep crimson red with a nice big head. Beer + head filled by 24oz glass quite nicely. Also a note on the bottle. The bottle contains an amusing disclaimer on the side as well as an amusing message regarding a complaint hotline. My friends and I enjoyed reading hat as much as I enjoyed drinking it.

Smell: I enjoyed theb aroma. You could definitly tell this was going to be quite hoppy and bitter from the smell.

Taste: Very hoppy and bitter. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It went nicely with the Pride Fighting Championships PPV I was watching while drinking it. As far as the PPV goes I'll just say the Shamrock v. Saku fight was stopped too early - Shamrock was not out. Now back to the beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and full-bodied. I really like beers like this. They feel 'big' in your mouth.

Drinkability: I thought it went down easy. Fans of hoppy, bitter neers may not enjoy this. It comes in large bottles (22oz) and is 7.2% abv so you might not want to drink too many at one sitting.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

At first, I did not like this one. It is bitter....but it grew on me and is now one of my favorites. The name really fits the beer. The high abv discourages me from drinking more than a pint at a time, especially if I am driving. The sight of the empty keg by the back door broke my heart, till I was told there was another keg in the cooler. This is the beer I wait to drink all day at work, it makes everything all better. Good thing I work in a bar with great beer on tap. I actually have tried to get my friends to try this and you know the response I get. When I found some at the local liquor store, the guy asked me if I was sure I wanted to pay for that crap. People need educated. This is an amazing beer, just not for the weak and unworthy....and yes, I am worthy.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

What a great beer! Too bad you can't get it in Illinois. My friend Jay says I'm a wussy because I don't drink a lot of good beer because I'm allergic to it. But Stone's Arrogant Bastard is a notable exception. It has a crisp taste that goes down very smooth, with a complex flavor not unlike my last three girlfriends. The flavor and the color can vary sometimes, also like my girlfriends.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

First had this beer in NYC. Now available here in New Jersey....Thank the beer gods!

Has a great appearance. Pours almost reddish amber. Drank from a pint glass. Goes down smooth and leaves a pleasent aftertaste in your mouth. Be careful though, this smooth drink does pack quite the punch. I went through four glasses of these very quickly.

2.54/5  rDev -38.9%

HOP CITY

A- A Clear deep red mahogany, copper color.

S- Smells of HOPS

T- HAs a long lasting after taste.

D- Very strong and distinct beer. This is the beer that turned me away from strong HOP beers.

guess i got drink if given again. but will not by ever

3.87/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This beer has a nice color and good foam. It has attitude. But I don't know if it wants to be an IPA or a Stout. It has pronounced hops that gets overwhelmed by strong toasted, almost burnt, malt. It leaves a lingering aftertaste that definitely reminds me of a strong stout (not that mother's milk Guinness but more like Bell's Expedition Stout). I know it's not a Stout but the taste and aftertaste sure reminds me of one. It has a decent taste going down, a lot of flavor, not for your Lite drinkers. While there is a lot of taste in every sip, I have had better tasting brew. I was given 3 bottles of this Bastard, I'll finish them but I'm not sure I'll be buying it. At 7.2 abv, this is no slouch.

3.46/5  rDev -16.8%

1 Pint bottle ( or whatever imaginary measure America conjured up in its wild past) poured into a rocks glass. Before anyone screams blasphemy I'm in a hotel, it's the best I could do.

A: Copper red colour, looks really promising. Good layer of foam, disappeared pretty quick, but the colour is enchanting.

S: Hops, Hops, Hops.

T: Starts off nicely with an average sort of ale taste, then come the hops. Aggressive, mean hops. Hordes and hordes of hops, assaulting my mouth, sending signals to my brains to GET THIS DOWN OR OUT! NOW! I gulped it down slowly, it gets tough halfway, but finishes better

M: Heavy, like a dying star. Sip, don't gulp.

O: Well I drank this mean motherfucker, and didn't regret it. Good as an aperitif. More of a feature than a headliner. If you want
something bitter, I would personally choose Southern Tier's IPA or 2XIPA, but definitely try it if you see it.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Growing up in San Diego and going to Cal State San Marcos, Stone has been a staple in my life. There once was a time back in my freshman year of college (2002) when I was not worthy. My Fraternity insisted on kegs of arrogant bastard and my palate was not adept to the wonderfulness that is this beer. These days all I got to say is damn I love this beer. Over the past decade I have always looked forward the to malty, burned sugar, and hoppy nose. The color is a fantastic deep red. The flavor is plenty malty, with nice caramel tones, and a nice strong bitterness. Think a Doppelbock DIPA. It's rad! The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated but I won't dock them any points for that. Give it a try!

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

This is my type of beer. Exactly what you'd expect from a great brewery such as Stone Co. It pours a dark red with a nice thick head. Definitely a strong ale, because the first thing I picked up on was malt followed by a great deal of hops. The taste was great. Very hoppy with a malt aftertaste that is by no means too overpowering. A great balance in flavor. The carbonation was just right. I've had some good strong ale's, but this is definitely up there on my list. 9/10.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Definitely a great beer, when people ask me about it or I try to describe it, I can only say "intense" or "aggressive" in a pathetic one word wrapup. Then I follow it with suggesting they try it, as I haven't yet found anything quite so unique.

As the entertaining script on the side of the bottle suggests, this beer isn't for the faint at heart. If you think ubiquitous beerwater in 12 oz cans is something to be resentful of, get a bottle of this pronto. Heavy, punch in the face malts give way to a left hook of double-IPA worthy hoppiness that is tolerable only due to how amazingly balanced this ale is. And at 7.2%, it gets the job done, flavorfully, enjoyably, and satisfactorily. If you have ever complained in your life about having a bland beer, treat yourself to this. Beer lovers of all kinds will find their preferred flavor in an extreme amount, whether a nice sweet red on tap is your go-to or a triple IPA is in your fridge growler, this beer freaking delivers.

The thick head and carbonation also serve as a nice buffer. Enjoy with care, you can never just have one...

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Strip off your clothes, wrap yourself in an american flag, and listen to me you beer swillin' fools. Let me take you back to a time when this great country of ours was feared. When we kicked ass and took names. When we shot first and asked questions later. We created something great and nobody could take that away from us. No brits, no commies, no nobody. Well, it's been re-created in liquid form. It's legal, it's readily available, and it's bangin' good! It's called Arrogant Bastard. This brew should be sitting on every table in the good 'ol U.S. of A., and should be the beer of choice for any redblooded American from the east, west, north or south. Stone Cold Steve Austin should be entering the ring with a bottle of Arrogant Bastard in his hand, a good buzz on, and smash the bottle right over the face of his opponent. We need more scars. He should then shank the ref, and then drop the Stone Cold Stunner to the ghost of Randy Savage as he misses his mark from the top turnbuckle.

Do your duty to god and your country. Fight hard. Stay strong. Be true. Be just. But always be a bastard.

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A: pours a nice rich caramel color, with a foamy head that dissipates slowly and laces the glass.

S: was a bit flat on the nose, with strong notes of hops

T: a very tasty brew - quite hoppy with a (not unpleasant) bitter aftertaste

M: not my favorite here - too highly carbonated

Overall, Arrogant Bastard is a fine beer, though I enjoy other offerings from Stone a bit more (like their Imperial Russian Stout).

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance: Looked amazing, could tell it had some carbonation with the foam on top when the bottle wasn't even opened yet. Color was a nice amber.

Smell: Slight Malty smell and a little sweetness of fruit

Taste: Just a bitter taste to me. But it was bearable and wasn't too much that it became disgusting.

Mouthfeel: foamy and carbonated.

Overall: This wasn't a bad beer, but for the amount of bitterness that came with it you would expect a little more ABV to go with it. I would drink it again, just not that often.

I see now why they call it Arrogant Bastard and why most of us won't "enjoy" this beer. Its because its nothing special, its an okay beer, nothing more.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful amber coloring, off-white head that sticks. How I expect an ale should look.

S - Milder. almost sweet smell with a little bite

T - Surprising when paired with the mild smell. Strong, bitter kick up front, hoppy aftertaste. Smooths out nicely towards the end of the bottle as it began to warm.

M - Slightly thicker, with a fair amount of carbonation

O - This beer has both surprised and spoiled me. Less hoppy than an IPA, which I like as I tend to find IPAs too hoppy, but still a strong flavor. I've only had a few bottles, but it's already one of my favorites. If I'm sampling several different beers, I try to stick AB towards the end, as many beers seem mild compared to ABs...arrogance, for lack of a better term. I'll admit, I may be new to the whole beer review thing, but even I can tell where Stone was going with this.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Every time I feel that my tastebuds need their asses kicked, this is the beer that I buy. Intensely full flavored and hoppily bottled arrogance. I like to think that I am worthy of such a brutal beer from time to time.

3.41/5  rDev -18%

Tasty but not overly memorable.

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Not a fan of the overall taste, not for the price at least. I've had much better beers than this, though it was highly recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

This ale is not a first time lets try a ipa if you've never had one before.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Aftertaste is bitter and stays with you.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Had this beer on my 1st night in Oregon.

In the glass from the waitress at the little jazz club, Jimmy Macks. Dark brown, but not brown ale. Just an IPA color with some malt. Looked like a winner right away.

Smelled like a winner. Nice malts, no sucker punches, american goodness. Hops were there, but nothing to cringe about.

First sip...Holy Fuck!!! This beer is worth writing home to my mother about. Arrogant Bastard has it all. Delicious malts, like caramel and honey. Delicious hops like grapefruit and earth. This thing is a beast, but not an evil arrogant beast. More in the vain of...I taste delicate and complex and I WILL MAKE YOU PLAY WU TANG on the jukebox and make an ass out of yourself. This beer jams, you should drink it!

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.