Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,900 | Hads: 9,912
4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my favorite pint glass

Appearance: Beautiful orange-brown beer with light beige head. About two fingers with good retention and impressive lacing.

Smell: Nice balance here. Sweet malts are there, but there is no doubt that hops live here.

Taste: Wow! There is a lot of depth to this flavor. Outstanding! The hops, piney and earthy, are absolutely the centerpiece of this beer, but the malt comes through to give wonderful balance to this brew. Slight alcohol warming lets you know its working.

Mouthfeel: With so many flavors going on in this beer, it is a mouthful. Medium-bodied feel gives room for the explosion of flavors that lie beneath.

Drinkability: On flavor alone, I could drink this all night long. However, with the amped-up abv, I believe it best to limit these to one or two in a sitting.

Highly recommended beer! There is so much going on in this beer that it is better experienced than explained. I keep a spare in the fridge to share with any misguided friends that wonder in with inferior beer in their arms. At least for once they get to experience what a real beer is all about. (1,148 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

It is funny that this beer is labeled as an american strong, becuase I feel it is more like a red, or more exact a double read or an imperial red. Stone starting making this beer before the doubles and imperials were being applied to beer, so there was not a category for it then. I had this beer off of tap and in a 32 oz glass. It looked rather normal, similar to other beers. The aroma is through the roof hoppy and a little like honey from the malts. the taste is very strong bitter on the front end, but leaves smoothly. There is a full bodied mouth feel to this beer, where you will almost gag on it if you have had too much to drink. This is a great beer and I am thankful I live in CA so I can buy this is some grocery stores. (734 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

On Cask at Thirsty Monk with "American Oak Chips" added. Tasted 1 hour after it was tapped and set on the top of the bar. I found the cask to be a lot more mellow (in aroma, taste, hop-bite, and carbonation) than the original Bastard. This special cask version had a buttery taste and texture, with just the merest hint of wood. Whereas one Arrogant Bastard will leave my tongue dry, I was able to down two glasses with tongue and mouth intact. Once warmed up, the pine aroma wafted tantalizingly from the glass. (512 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

Fizzie yellow beer is for wussies. That says it all. Beer pours a dark ruby copper hue with a frothy head. The malts on the nose in this beer are quite powerful and mask the smell of the hop profile nicely. The thick malty syrup-like quality to this beer makes it like no other (except oak aged and double bastard). The huge malt character to the beer balances so nicely with the hops that they are almost undetectable. Strong alcohol is masked nicely and balanced perfectly. I want to pour this beer on my ice cream. (517 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

appearance: rich red-orange, deep amber with a thick foamy head

smell: floral hop and carmel malt aroma, faint alcohol

taste: it's like a well balanced, rich, hoppy amber ale. Very pleasing to the palate.

mouthfeel: very smooth and enjoyable

drinkability: it's powerful, but it goes down very easy. I find it ironic that the bottle advertises that it's too bold or aggressive compared to macrobrews because this goes down much easier than the cheap stuff.

I was expecting something a little more powerful, something along the lines of a belgian strong ale, and this definitely surprised me. I kind of thought it was just an extra malty IPA, but about halfway through the bomber the rich and complex flavors really came through. My only regrets are that it would be pricy to drink this stuff on a regular basis :3 (817 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

Honestly, I drank one of these a long time ago when I was just young and naïve... But now that I am a much more experienced beer drinker, I had to try it again. I have learned to love hoppy beer, so I wanted to give it a shot and see what I would think now that I know what to look for.

Appearance - this beer is a deep reddish color. Very dark, almost mahogany. Some dark orange notes.

Smell - Honestly, everything. I can smell bready malts, I think. And citrusy hops.

Taste - Just strong and great. Hops upfront, the alcohol and bitterness appears in the back.

Mouthfeel - Heavy and syrupy in the mouth. Great texture.

Drinkability - It's ruinous, but at the same time very drinkable. I feel like I could drink a few of these, but then again I know my tastebuds would just be ruined. (791 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -4.5%

Woohoo for my first review.

Poured into a pint glass

Very dark beer with a 1 finger toffee colored head that stuck around for abit with some lacing. The bottle was a very good read.

Smell was great, smelled like dark fruit with maybe a hint of apricot.

Taste was like an assault on my tongue. Left a bitter taste on my tongue that was not unpleasant that lasted for awhile.

Felt great in the mouth, slightly carbonated.

Overall an amazing beer, slightly bitter but still awesome. And a privilege for it to be my first review. (533 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

I was really looking forward to this beer as I had heard so much about it. Let me tell you it didn't dissappoint! Everything about this beer delivers, from the excellent deep coloring to the great head of foam, to the complex series of flavors. Every sip brought a new nuance of flavor that kept me wanting more. The only drawback to the beer is that it is slightly heavy to be a session beer, but it is definately the first beer I will grab when I start off the night. (469 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured this from a bomber into a tall glass and had it while I finished cooking a burger. It was initially a bit harsh, but the more I drank the more I liked it. It was chilled but not ice cold when I poured it, and I liked it more once it warmed up a couple degrees. Worth another try for sure. (295 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

s- Pint glass.

a- Very pleasant. Nice ruby-brown color. Thick head didn't just leave lacing, there was full-on head clinging to the sides all the way down. Crazy retention.

s- There's some nice notes of hops and citrus and bitter earthiness, but I wasn't especially pleased. Well-rounded but not drool-enducing.

t- Complex. You really can get a different sip each time you go back to the glass, and different flavors cold or warm, and different flavors with pairings. There's mostly some hops, with caramel and citrus. Quite a bit of bitter, ending with a touch of astringent. You really understand why this beer is called "arrogant bastard" here- there's a lot to take in, and it leaves quite a lingering impression on the palate.

m- Good body and carbonation, feels a bit creamy overall. Good for lingering and tasting.

d- You really want to savor the complex flavors while you're drinking it, but the overall bitter and aftertaste has you putting it down for a bit to collect yourself. A great beer to start or end a night, but you'd have to be the beer's namesake to drink this all through the night.

verdict- A great tasting beer, and certainly an experience you want to have once (and maybe again), but I don't really see this as more than an occasional drink. (1,272 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

From begining this ale is wonderful, the mouthfull of fruitiness that is lifted into the palate and then the onl thing is the more drinks I get into this wonderful concogtion the less I tend to like it, but either way I still like this drink and in my opinion not a drink for everyone.. (286 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

i loved drinking this beer.
the label is so funny.
this beer is a legend in my life. all of my friends always talked it up so one day i finally decided to try it. and... I LOVED IT.

this is a beer that goes down smooth and taste great.
kinda expensive but its worth it in my opinion. (285 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

the name says it all. even the label is arrogant. this brew is a very crisp ale with slight bitterness and can also be purchased as double ale. the ABV makes this brew a little bit of a kick, and the price is a little high, but the taste and smell dont let you down. it comes in a four pack as well along with three other Stone brews. excellent, thank you. (356 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%

This is a nice dark ale. It looks kind of like Shiner in a glass but quite stronger. I can only buy it on tap or in 22oz, but its worth it. Just be ready for the kick. It is much stronger than other ales and will knock you back if you aren't ready. It isn't for the faint of heart or weak tasting beer lovers. (309 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer is my go to. It has a great taste and is easy to get anywhere for the reasonable price. I have had this on draught as well and its even better. If you are an ale fan this is one to try or retry. I would like to try and make my own personal brew similar to this one. (275 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark amber looking, reddish with a light head. Good lacing. Head retains well.

S: Caramel, flowery hop smell. Smells sweet.

T: Hops on the forefront. Good hop aftertaste. Tiny hint of chocolate. Floral hops. Aggressive yet stayed balanced enough to enjoy. A little sweet too.
M: Smooth and drinkable, I thought it was a nice medium body, everything reacts and bubbles on tongue.

O: Very awesome beer. I love it and will drink again. (465 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours copper-brown, redish. Nice foam becomes thin and persistant. Aromas of toasted caramel, nut, grass and floral hops. Taste medium sweetness, medium-heady bitterness, caramel, nut, alcool at the end. Medium bodied, bitter finish last long. Really good beer. (261 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bottle.
A: a nice dark gold color with a goldish white head.
S: very hoppy like an ipa. light malt lingers with the hoppy smell.
T: very very hopppy for an ale. i would say its an aggressive strong ale. maybe some caramel.
M: lots of carb but easy on the palate. very drinkable.
O: i really would consider this a double ipa. otherwise a solid beer! (353 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to beer. Having the luxury to live in San Diego gives me the pleasure of picking up this liquid gold for cheap.

A- Dark red/copper with a beige head. Great lacing down the pint.
S- Burst of hops! Citrus, pine, and grass smells aplenty with a sweet malt backing.
T- Bitter citrus hops accompanied with sweet malt and molasses.
M- Smooth, great carbonation, satisfyingly "thick"
O- If you haven't had this beer, get it. It is the sole reason I became the huge hop head I am. Huge hops with huge sweet malt. It's a perfect pairing. My favorite from Stone. (567 characters)

Definitely a beer that knocked me off my feet but still tastes really good.

Hoppiest beer out there but has a finish that doesn't make you regret getting it.

I grab a pint of Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA pretty much every weekend. (236 characters)

Appearance: Medium brown in color

Smell: The aromatics on this beer are great you can smell the hops, a slight pine, with an orange grapefruit appeal.

Taste: This medium bodied beer is great. Good hoppie bitterness and you can taste the chocolate malts and roasted flavors.

Mouth feel: it goes down smooth, if your not use to hoppie beers, keep to your fuzzy wussies beers like the bottle say, cause your not worthy.

Overall: This is my beer of choice. This is the beer that got me into craft beer and ultimately brewing. With this beer your either a fan or you don't know what real beer is. (596 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was at an italian restaurant when I saw this name on the menu!... I had to try it. The alcohol content on this one must be high, because one of these big bottle s and i was G to the O-N-E. I just remember it tasting really awesome. I have had more and plan to drink more when I can. I'm sorry, I don't have any better details then this, but that's all I remember! (370 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

The first thing I notice is the burnt red color of the beer and the persistent head.
The aroma is very hoppy and an apple sweetness.The mouth feel is very smooth and slightly weighty on the tongue. Although it is smooth the flavor is very strong and to the point with lots of hops and caramel. The finish is quite bitter leaving the need for another taste.
I very much enjoyed this beer and would definitely recommend this beer to anyone looking for a beer with a dominent flavor!!! (488 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%

22 oz. bottle slowly poured into a pint glass (a few times to get it all)

Got this beer at the local liquor superstore. A little pricey, but they can get just about whatever you want.

Appearance: Very dark amber/kinda chocolatey in color, large head about a a finger and a half that persisted for quite a good time. Good lacing. Looks thick as pine tar

Smell: Hops, hops and more hops. Fruity, citrusy esters present, most definitely piney.

Taste: Now for the good part. This beer is stout, hoppy, citrusy and piney. Absolutely wonderful. Very warming as well. Bitter, yes, but so full of flavor it would be worthless if not for the bite it has.

Mouthfeel: Very, very creamy and a little fizzy at times. Easy to drink for how stout it is. Full bodied.

Drinkability: Rather easy for what it is, but if you are looking for a session beer, unless you like full bodied kick you in the shins ales, then this beer isn't for you. It will make you appreciate the subtleties of strong hops though.

Overall, I LOVE THIS BEER! First time I had it was at the Beer Sellar (actual spelling) in Newport, KY on tap, and it only keeps getting better every time I drink it. A definite A if not REALLY close to an A+

By the way, the warmer it got, the better it got. This beer really has it all... (1,287 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Pouring this one tonight for some friends, wanted to get familiar.

Appearance:
A red hued honey amber. Very tiny bits of gas bubbling below the surface. The head was a medium packed morange of slightly, slightly, orange cream color. The head retreats to the sides of the glass, leaving some whipped looking islands.

Smell:
I want to say a mix of toffee and pineapple. When I get my snout further into the glass, and go beyond the exploratory sniff, the citrus notes slide away to reveal the hot pins of alcohol. It is a pleasant transformation of aromas.

Taste:
Sweet, not really what I expected but very enjoyable. The grapefruit/pineapple is definetly there, with less malt than I had thought. The toffee nose is misleading. I expected a fatter a malt assault, but didn't get too much. After the sweetness, the tide of bitters came washing in to scourge the palate. It conveyed an overall refreshing taste, as opposed to the big belly weigh down I thought it would be.

Moutful:
Mild amount of carbonation, feels like more because of the hops. Has a nice sharp moutful and a good clean up. The sweet comes in, fizzes a bit, then is broomed up by bitters. The hops do linger a bit on the tongue though after a good scrubbing.

Drinkability:
Really nice, not the belly bomb I thought it would be. I could see it being a great food beer, but also would be a good "on the deck after mowing the lawn" beverage. Bottom line, it is alot less mouth fatty and more refreshing than I expected. Even better as it gets to room temperature, and burns off some of its tightness. (1,571 characters)

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.