Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arrogant Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Gasp100

Delaware

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

My first (and currently only) Arogant Bastard Ale. Pours a dark, cloudy mahogany with small head and medium lacing. The smell is overpowering Hops - piney, citrus Malts - sweet, smokey, dark ripe fruits, etc.... Man, a little bit (or a big bit) of everything in this here beer. The taste knocked me on my ass... I really mean that. At 7.2% this is a serious brew but man the deep chestnuts, smokiness, ripe fruit, pine, citrus... very serious brew. The initial taste reminded me of another brew "Black Douglas" which is actually a Scotch brew where the alcohol was very prevalent, but the malty sweetness really balanced it out --- the big difference with this brew was the intense hop bitterness that just kept on coming but never overpowered the other flavors. This is no hype, no lie, on my top 5 of best all around brews. I think a case of bombers is warranted... and just think, I've still got Double Bastard hanging out in the cellar.... sweet! One last thing -- for all this beer is offering it's still drinkable... no poundable, but definitely more than one if you're lucky enough to find singles.

05-08-2004 01:16:57 | More by Gasp100
wingnutter

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

My 50th review. What better beer for #50 than the almighty Bastard?!

Poured into an AB specialty glass. This is one menacing loking beer. Thick, nasty head on top of a crazy amber colored behemoth. This beer looks pissed. Smells floral, hoppy, and some citrus is in there, too. Not much malt to speak of in the nose. I will now take him head-on.

The Bastard made his presence known immediately in the form of bitter hops. Almost a burnt hop taste. Yummy. This bad boy just keeps punching away at my tastebuds. Holy hell, this mofo lives up to his name. Very arrogant and pretty damn aggressive. Great mouthfeel. This is what beer should taste like. And feel like.

Halfway through the bomber and this bitch just wont let up. As it shakes off the coldness from the fridge and warms up a bit, the Bastard changes his strategy - the taste gets even MORE intense. Its an all out assault on my senses. This is a true palate bruiser if I ever had one. Sweet malt is now showing itself. At first I thought the Bastard was taking pity on me by taking the edge off the hops with this sudden sweetness, but the bitterness behind it is just as strong as it was at the beginning, and he has added floral notes to the taste as well. This sneaky sumbitch is toying with my tastebuds, making me think for a second that I am indeed worthy...but upon swallowing, the hops let me know theyre still there. In a BIG way. This Bastard doesnt know the meaning of quit. He just keeps attacking me from all sides.

Brilliant beer. I have a bomber of Double Bastard in my fridge (which I have never had the pleasure of trying yet), but I will need time to recoup from this taste barrage. I will tango with the DB another night. Until then, I will bask my own arrogance - arrogance that I now have knowing I am indeed worthy of this insane brew.

I attacked the Bastard head-on, and went toe-to-toe with this monster. It was a bloody bloodbath, and I withstood his assault, but not before he left his mark permanently and gave me some new battle scars. Drinking this beer kind of felt like a rite of passage. I am now officially an extreme beer lover. Next on the list is his doppleganger, aka Double Bastard, who is hibernating in my fridge for now. That showdown is scheduled during the superbowl. I must go now - and prepare for battle.

02-03-2006 05:09:22 | More by wingnutter
keenan41

05-06-2012 21:02:17 | More by keenan41
BigDaddyWil

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Acquired in a beer trade with BA arguemaniac, thank you Jaz!!!
Poured from a bomber into my brand new Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale glass. Stone has great glassware!!! The bottle has a humerous warning on the back, telling how no one is worthy of this arrogant brew.
Fantastic appearance, deep ruby red in color. Awesome frothy two inch thick, clumpy head. Lots of sticky lacing, that lasts forever.
Very strong aromas, lots of citrus fruits, mostly grapefruit and lots of piney hops. Also, I noticed a slight bubblegum smell. This brew has a well balaced hop and malt taste. Lots of flavor, with a slight bitter alcohol burn as it finishes.
Unbelievably smooth brew even at 7.2%abv. Easy to drink.
A great offering from Stone!!!!

01-19-2006 02:22:31 | More by BigDaddyWil
Jwaks

Connecticut

2.1/5  rDev -49.6%

Each time I try this beer, I recall how awful, undrinkable, unpleasing and unbalanced it is. This beer makes me think it is a small west coast american barleywine that may never find a good drinking window. Hop flavor and bitterness is way over the top with some "lip service" malt struggling yet failing horriby to balance the beer. What makes it worse is the assertive and undeniably unpleasant bitterness that lingers far after the first sip. It's anything but pleasing or appetizing making the beer nearly undrinkable.

I admit fully to shitting all over this beer, it's deserved even though it has few small redemeing qualities. One being it's a first in american strong ale craft beers and helped redefine how many americans see and experience beer. I resepect and appreciate what arrogant bastard ale and stone has done to foward craft beer and redefine beer for the majority of beer drinkers. Second, it's an awesome show of american hops even if I disagree with the chosen hop varietys and use; they are clearly at odds with the malt base and their excessive use is way over the top creating disjointed flavors and lack of harmony in the final product.

This beer was not brewed or intended to be a great beer, but only as an over the top small west coast barleywine to match a gimmiky, catchy marketing ploy designed to challenge fizzy yellow beer and micro drinkers alike to try something "better." If there is a FIAT beer, like the US dollar, something that has value only because it or someone says it does, this is it.

Thanks, Stone, but I know you can do better in the American Strong Ale category if you tried to brew a good beer and not sell marketing with a token beer to go with. Please drop the ridiculous, shameless and unecessary marketing and brew a better beer. Sans marketing, a good product sells itself.

11-21-2010 04:16:19 | More by Jwaks
bradford

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

POured from a 22 oz bomber
Appearance was very nice. Dark amber, mahogany, ruby red
Smell is fantastic. Hoppy, malty, an almost buttscotchy smell
Taste is phenomenal. One of my favorite beers of all time and the beer that got me started on the journey to better beers
Mouthfeel is good. The aggressively bitter hops sting the tongue a bit
Drinkablitiy is almost as good as it gets. Very easy to put down and the alcohol is very well hidden

10-09-2007 18:57:59 | More by bradford
mtbbaboon

Connecticut

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this into a pint glass. Color is dark amber with moderate head that doesn't want to go away. Leaves lacing all over the glass. The smell is somewhat mild...mostly malt with some hoppiness in the background. Smells a little fruity but I can't place it. Medium to heavy body, but very smooth. Mild carbonation that makes this easy to drink for a heavier than average beer. Taste is malty. Tastes a tad smokey to me, but I like it (maybe I'm drinking it wrong?). Hops and bitterness round out the taste. A real easy beer to drink. My wife would love this. Too bad I'm going to drink it all.

09-10-2008 21:44:33 | More by mtbbaboon

07-03-2014 17:06:52 | More by Bushwacker393
kaszeta

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Poors with a medium red-to-amber color, with a darker almost-tan foam. Not too carbonated, and the head doesn't linger long. The aroma was fairly malty, with a good hops edge to it. The taste, however, was much heavier on the hops than the maltiness, but both were present in good proportion. The result was fairly hoppy, but nothing like the typical highly-hopped-so-it's-almost-an-IPA we've all grown used to. The result is fairly smooth, with a nice touch of sweetness to round out the flavor. Very nice, and very drinkable---I'd probably drink more of this if I could actually get it easily in my area. Almost lives up to the hype.

01-07-2005 02:32:37 | More by kaszeta
zacharius

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

The beer pours a dark reddish color with an off white head that sticks around for the whole glass. Smell is of citrusy hops with a malty backbone with hints of roasted grain. Beer has a malty sweet taste to it with hints of toffee and roasted grains. The malt is balanced with a citrisy hop flavor, and there is a hint of detectable alcohol. Nice thick bodied mouthfeel, a drinkable beer but not something you'd want to have all night long.

If you don't like this beer, you are not worthy.

01-09-2005 17:22:05 | More by zacharius
StonyB

03-18-2013 04:51:27 | More by StonyB
Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.