Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstoutStone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Ale brewed with pecans, wheat, & rye, with one quarter aged in bourbon barrels. Brewed at Stone Brewing Company with Greg Koch, Drew Curtis (Fark) and Wil Wheaton.

(Beer added by: Alieniloquium on 07-13-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout Alström Bros
Heretic42

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from bomber into Stone snifter

A - Initially poured pitch black with little head. A little more vigorous pour got the tannish head I was expecting.

S - Incredibly boozy on the nose. The bourbon and the rye definitely come through here, though you may have to search harder for the latter. Underneath that, you get the normal imperial stout smells, but the booze definitely overpowers them.

T - Luckily, not just booze! The bourbon and rye actually come through (which is nice), but I also get the dark chocolate and roastiness I expect from an imperial stout. I don't get much of the pecan, but that leads me to...

M - This is where I think this beer shines. I think the pecan and wheat add a nice smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel to this beer. The viscosity I associate with imperial stouts is present, but the creaminess adds another dimension.

O - This is a tasty brew. I'm curious what'll happen with age, but it's drinking like a solid imperial stout if you don't mind, or better yet enjoy, the bourbon and rye parts.

09-07-2013 02:46:22 | More by Heretic42

Georgia

09-06-2013 03:24:41 | More by mlhyatt
hardy008

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours dark black with a one finger creamy mocha head with nice retention and lacing.The aroma is not very strong. I can pick up dark roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon, but the aromas are all lighter than expected. The beer has been out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes, so I can't figure out why the aroma is so light.

Tastes sweet with chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, and some dark roasted malt, which adds bitterness to balance the beer somewhat. I do not taste the rye or pecans at all. A little too sweet, and the alcohol is not well disguised.

Full bodied with modest carbonation, and creamy. A pretty good beer, but this could have been better. This beer might be real good if it was aged for 6 months or more.

09-06-2013 02:55:49 | More by hardy008

09-05-2013 17:04:39 | More by imperialking
bpasquini

09-05-2013 16:41:00 | More by bpasquini
Tone2467

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A: A nice deep brown with a little light creeping through. A 1/3 inch brownish khakis head . Really a nice stout but, it doesn't stain my fingers as much as I've come to expect from the style.

S: A lot of booze at first. As I focus more I begin finding a nice malt aroma with hints of Bourbon. Maybe I'm picking up some Chocolate as well.

T. I noticed a nice Bourbon taste coupled with a good Chocolate presence. There are defiantly some sort of nuts here. With a good mixture of sweetness and bitterness. Definitely a unique brew.

M: A nice heavy mouthfeel. Very thick but not a so much as to feel like syrup. This one has low carbonation as is expected with the style. Doesn't really leave my mouth coated as I like but very nice still.

O: A unique brew. I'm glad I got to enjoy a bottle and wouldn't mind having another. A solid Stout. I wouldn't go hunting for this one but, if I see one somewhere it's definitely not going to be passed by. A very different brew which is rather refreshing.

09-05-2013 02:13:04 | More by Tone2467
user785335

09-04-2013 15:17:18 | More by user785335
Benish

Wisconsin

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

A friend shared a bottle with me. Poured aggressively into tulip glasses and about an inch or two thick foamy brown head built up. Very beautiful presentation. The beer was jet black, no penetration of light. Very solid appearance for a Imperial Stout.

The aroma was outstanding. I picked up candied pecans and some malt. The aroma actually got me thinking of pecan pie. It had that nice sweet and savory smell that you can just inhale and find it delightful.

Then to the taste, which unfortunately I was not impressed with. At first it was instantly bitter. Kind of like burnt chocolate and coffee. I suspect this might be from the rye being one of the ingredients. But then just at the finish the beer transformed to a taste of umami. It became oddly savory with a dash of salt. Made me think of soy sauce. In my opinion this was not good. Unfortunately it was hard to get pass this while I kept drinking. It starts out with burnt chocolate and then the finish was purely umami. In addition, the beer was quite boozy. The combination of the flavors in this beer is quite bizarre in my opinion and hard to get past.

Fortunately mouthfeel was outstanding. It was very thick and creamy. Kind of like when you drink a thick mocha or hot chocolate. It seemed the beer just stuck to my mouth after swallowing; very full bodied.

Overall I was impressed with the aroma and the mouthfeel but it was the flavors that led me to not enjoy this beer. Clearly other people like the flavors of this beer but I might be one of the few that don't. I have another bottle that I might cellar to see what happens to the flavors as it ages.

09-04-2013 05:47:30 | More by Benish
Stevedore

Wisconsin

2.93/5  rDev -28%

22oz bottle with the cartoon characters, poured into an unlabeled snifter today, 9/3/2013, shared with BA member Benish. Review #183.

Looks like an awesome imperial stout- pours an incredibly dark and opaque body with a thick 2cm brown head. Not much lacing. Remains a thick film on the beer with great retention. Stains the glass brown as I swirl it around which produces even more head. Totally great looking imperial stout here.

Smell is eh. Not very pleasant actually, as it warms up I get more straight up rubbing alcohol. I don't even know how to describe the other aspects of the nose- there is some roast malts and a good bit of soy sauce/umami, perhaps a little bit of mellow spiciness which I would imagine is from the rye. But its not really anything I can pin down. No pecans either.

And the taste is truly average. There is a small bit of that roasted malt sweetness, but its subdued in comparison to that massive umami taste. I really do not care for it. It reminds me a lot of Nightstalker in that there is a ton of umami, soy sauce flavour. But I'm really not getting the pecans here. Basically this is Nightstalker, but worse... and there isn't even much bourbon or barrel flavour here either.

Mouthfeel is very good here though. Its a full bodied, and I mean full, full bodied and very creamy and thick. It's smooth on the palate and honestly one of the better mouthfeels I've had on a non-CCB or GI imperial stout. Still, the aftertaste is a lot of that umami flavour, and it runs very hot as it warms up. So, it takes quite a bit away from what would be otherwise a 4.75 or 5 rating on mouthfeel.

Overall, its interesting and I'm glad to have tried it. But its simply not my cup of tea. Its not particularly complex, and its full of umami.. which I find interesting only in 4-6oz quantities. I can't stomach a full pint of this stuff. I'm starting to think I should just start passing over any Stone collaboration from here on... but I liked Dayman, so that makes for a tricky quandary here.

09-04-2013 05:27:26 | More by Stevedore
Danobold

09-04-2013 05:02:17 | More by Danobold
HumanParaquat

Indiana

09-04-2013 02:32:46 | More by HumanParaquat
BobZ

22oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Dark brown almost black with a 1" tan head that quickly recedes to a thin cap.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, with a hint of bourbon.

Taste: Like in the nose coffee, chocolate, but also a little bit of dark fruit almost like a Belgian stout, the barrel has a light influence. Very light bourbon and vanilla. Tasty but otherwise unremarkable like a "barrel aged light", meaning it has some of the flavors present in great barrel aged beers just with less depth, much less. Not a bad thing at all as having a lighter barrel aged beer is a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Clean and light on the palate.

Overall: Very sessionable BA stout, worth a try.

09-03-2013 19:16:12 | More by BobZ

09-03-2013 03:27:35 | More by lsummers
hagbergl

Maryland

4.74/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Snagged a 22 oz. bomber at Shirley's in Adams Morgan, D.C.

Appearance (4.25/5): Deep black, opaque, and very little head, as you'd expect with a beer of extremely high alcohol content (13%). The khaki, half finger head dissipates quickly. The carbonation is visibly low.

Smell (4.5/5): Some alcohol, dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruits in the nose. Not detecting much bourbon notes.

Taste (5/5): Wow, this one just blew me away. Vanilla from the oak and some bourbon flavors mix seamlessly with the usual, pronounced dark chocolate, and coffee flavors. Amazing depth and complexity. Dark fruits also make an appearance (think plum and raisins), reminding me of Belgian Quadrupels. A tad boozy but you don't get it until the very end. The flavor elements all work in concert together. More oaky vanilla in the beginning and more bourbony in the late stages as it warms.

Mouthfeel (4.5/5): Thick but not syrupy. Beautifully done body that's heavy but not cloying. Low carbonation due to the high alcohol. This is a sipper.

Overall (4.5/5): Stone has really crafted a winner of a collab beer with the Stone/Farking/Wheaton w00tstout. All of the ingredients and flavors mesh really well. Totally decadent, this is a beer you may want to share. Getting through the entire bottle on your own may land you on your ass, but I'd understand if you guard it jealously and elect to not share.

09-03-2013 00:35:35 | More by hagbergl
Coreymillhouse

Tennessee

09-03-2013 00:01:55 | More by Coreymillhouse
Boston_Steve

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

09-02-2013 20:37:01 | More by Boston_Steve
Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout from Stone Brewing Co.