Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstoutStone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: Alieniloquium on 07-13-2013

Ale brewed with pecans, wheat, & rye, with one quarter aged in bourbon barrels. Brewed at Stone Brewing Company with Greg Koch, Drew Curtis (Fark) and Wil Wheaton.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout Alström Bros

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Jet black in color with minimal carbonation and what there was had almost an orange amber hue. This looks a bit intimidating. No light will penetrate this. I mainly smell that bourbon, but also the pecans. Just a hint of the wheat.mouthfeel is silky but thick. Bourbon mainly on the front of the palate. I then get that wheat and pecans. I get the warmth of the alcohol in the Back of the palate. The pecan and wheat tend to linger in the aftertaste. This is pretty unique and I would highly recommend it. Probably better shared. 22oz's at 13%!

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Was lucky enough to get this on tap at the common market yesterday. Served in a Southern Tier goblet.

Appearance - The beer retained a good inch of head in the goblet. The body was about typical for an imperial stout. Very dark but you could pick up some brownish hues towards the light. The head had a really nice vibrant colour to it for the style.

Smell - Great smell, lots going on in the beer but you are able to pick up on the pecans which added a sort of caramel nuttiness.

Taste - This beer has some booziness to it but it would be hard to knock a 13% beer, especially when other flavours come out. Immediate roasted malts and other standard flavours for an imperial stout and as they are settling in you get a great caramel finish from the pecans which pleasantly lingers on the tongue. Very well executed.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel on the beer was fantastic and I think the rich flavours of the pecans work very well with the heavy body prevalent in this imperial stout. Extremely smooth mouthfeel which adds some drinkability to such a heavy high alcohol beer.

Overall - I would certainly have another w00tstout in the right circumstance. A great imperial stout with good chocolate/coffee flavours that are enhanced by the addition of pecans, which bring caramel/toffee notes to compliment. If I found myself with another glass in my lifetime, I'd consider myself fortunate.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Stone/Farking/Wheaton W00tstout about a month ago for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. It's a pretty cool late summer night in Mid Michigan and I'm in the mood for something strong and dark so I thought I would give this one a shot, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks nice, I got the simplest one out of the three different designs But I still think It looks good and in typical Stone fashion it has an in depth description of how this beer came to be. It poured a nice dark black color that really didn't let any light come through with almost a fingers worth of dark tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually disappeared and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, it looks pretty dead on for a high alcohol Stout.

S- The aroma starts off with a fairly high amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart some nice roasted aromas along with some coffee and chocolate aromas that are followed by a good amount of dark fruits that seem to stick out the most. Up next I get a light nutty and almost caramel like aroma that could be from the pecans. Towards the end I get a very noticeable alcohol aroma with some light wood and bourbon like aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma and I thought it was as unique as the ingredients list, I enjoyed it and as it warmed the roasted notes shine through more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of malts with some nice roasted, chocolate and coffee flavors coming through that are followed a pretty much equal amount of dark fruits with no one fruit really stick out more than the other. Up next comes the alcohol which shows up a fair amount but it really isn't as warming as I thought it would be and it's followed by some light bourbon barrel flavors with vanilla and oak seeming to stick out the most and there's also a real slight nutty flavor that barely comes through and it must come from the pecans. On the finish there's a somewhat higher amount of bitterness that lingers just for a little bit and it's followed by some roasted, dark fruits and alcohol flavors in the aftertaste. I thought this was a good and unique tasting beer, I enjoyed it but it sure didn't taste like a typical barrel aged stout.

M- Pretty smooth, just slightly warming, creamy, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and unique and good example of a big Stout, unlike many other big Stouts it wasn't over the top with the roasted malts and it seemed fairly complex with some dark fruits and light bourbon barrel and pecans showing up. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth for as strong as it was, not too filling, and the flavors did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one bomber would be my limit, I would normally split a beer this strong, but for how smooth it is a whole bomber isn't out of the question. What I liked the most about this beer was how unique it was and how drinkable it was, this isn't your normal high alcohol Stout and it drinks way smoother than it should. What I liked the least about this beer was basically nothing, but If I had to choose something I think a little more bourbon barrel and pecans in the flavor and taste would make this a slightly better beer. I would buy this again, I wish i had another bottle to age in the cellar, it's all gone at my local store, but if I see anymore I'll for sure get at least one bottle to see how it develops over time. I would recommend this to people who like stronger beer, I don't think you have to be a huge Stout fan to like this beer. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it's nice to see a beer this strong for under $10 a bomber and I think it's for sure worth the money, I wouldn't say this is the best example of a Stout and it ins't a favorite, but it is a pretty unique and enjoyable beer, as I said earlier I think it's as unique as the ingredient list. Good job guys, I think this was a nice collaboration and a enjoyable beer, keep up the good work.

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from bomber into Stone snifter

A - Initially poured pitch black with little head. A little more vigorous pour got the tannish head I was expecting.

S - Incredibly boozy on the nose. The bourbon and the rye definitely come through here, though you may have to search harder for the latter. Underneath that, you get the normal imperial stout smells, but the booze definitely overpowers them.

T - Luckily, not just booze! The bourbon and rye actually come through (which is nice), but I also get the dark chocolate and roastiness I expect from an imperial stout. I don't get much of the pecan, but that leads me to...

M - This is where I think this beer shines. I think the pecan and wheat add a nice smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel to this beer. The viscosity I associate with imperial stouts is present, but the creaminess adds another dimension.

O - This is a tasty brew. I'm curious what'll happen with age, but it's drinking like a solid imperial stout if you don't mind, or better yet enjoy, the bourbon and rye parts.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.44/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours dark black with a one finger creamy mocha head with nice retention and lacing.The aroma is not very strong. I can pick up dark roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon, but the aromas are all lighter than expected. The beer has been out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes, so I can't figure out why the aroma is so light.

Tastes sweet with chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, and some dark roasted malt, which adds bitterness to balance the beer somewhat. I do not taste the rye or pecans at all. A little too sweet, and the alcohol is not well disguised.

Full bodied with modest carbonation, and creamy. A pretty good beer, but this could have been better. This beer might be real good if it was aged for 6 months or more.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A: A nice deep brown with a little light creeping through. A 1/3 inch brownish khakis head . Really a nice stout but, it doesn't stain my fingers as much as I've come to expect from the style.

S: A lot of booze at first. As I focus more I begin finding a nice malt aroma with hints of Bourbon. Maybe I'm picking up some Chocolate as well.

T. I noticed a nice Bourbon taste coupled with a good Chocolate presence. There are defiantly some sort of nuts here. With a good mixture of sweetness and bitterness. Definitely a unique brew.

M: A nice heavy mouthfeel. Very thick but not a so much as to feel like syrup. This one has low carbonation as is expected with the style. Doesn't really leave my mouth coated as I like but very nice still.

O: A unique brew. I'm glad I got to enjoy a bottle and wouldn't mind having another. A solid Stout. I wouldn't go hunting for this one but, if I see one somewhere it's definitely not going to be passed by. A very different brew which is rather refreshing.

3.24/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

A friend shared a bottle with me. Poured aggressively into tulip glasses and about an inch or two thick foamy brown head built up. Very beautiful presentation. The beer was jet black, no penetration of light. Very solid appearance for a Imperial Stout.

The aroma was outstanding. I picked up candied pecans and some malt. The aroma actually got me thinking of pecan pie. It had that nice sweet and savory smell that you can just inhale and find it delightful.

Then to the taste, which unfortunately I was not impressed with. At first it was instantly bitter. Kind of like burnt chocolate and coffee. I suspect this might be from the rye being one of the ingredients. But then just at the finish the beer transformed to a taste of umami. It became oddly savory with a dash of salt. Made me think of soy sauce. In my opinion this was not good. Unfortunately it was hard to get pass this while I kept drinking. It starts out with burnt chocolate and then the finish was purely umami. In addition, the beer was quite boozy. The combination of the flavors in this beer is quite bizarre in my opinion and hard to get past.

Fortunately mouthfeel was outstanding. It was very thick and creamy. Kind of like when you drink a thick mocha or hot chocolate. It seemed the beer just stuck to my mouth after swallowing; very full bodied.

Overall I was impressed with the aroma and the mouthfeel but it was the flavors that led me to not enjoy this beer. Clearly other people like the flavors of this beer but I might be one of the few that don't. I have another bottle that I might cellar to see what happens to the flavors as it ages.

2.97/5  rDev -27.2%

22oz bottle with the cartoon characters, poured into an unlabeled snifter today, 9/3/2013, shared with BA member Benish. Review #183.

Looks like an awesome imperial stout- pours an incredibly dark and opaque body with a thick 2cm brown head. Not much lacing. Remains a thick film on the beer with great retention. Stains the glass brown as I swirl it around which produces even more head. Totally great looking imperial stout here.

Smell is eh. Not very pleasant actually, as it warms up I get more straight up rubbing alcohol. I don't even know how to describe the other aspects of the nose- there is some roast malts and a good bit of soy sauce/umami, perhaps a little bit of mellow spiciness which I would imagine is from the rye. But its not really anything I can pin down. No pecans either.

And the taste is truly average. There is a small bit of that roasted malt sweetness, but its subdued in comparison to that massive umami taste. I really do not care for it. It reminds me a lot of Nightstalker in that there is a ton of umami, soy sauce flavour. But I'm really not getting the pecans here. Basically this is Nightstalker, but worse... and there isn't even much bourbon or barrel flavour here either.

Mouthfeel is very good here though. Its a full bodied, and I mean full, full bodied and very creamy and thick. It's smooth on the palate and honestly one of the better mouthfeels I've had on a non-CCB or GI imperial stout. Still, the aftertaste is a lot of that umami flavour, and it runs very hot as it warms up. So, it takes quite a bit away from what would be otherwise a 4.75 or 5 rating on mouthfeel.

Overall, its interesting and I'm glad to have tried it. But its simply not my cup of tea. Its not particularly complex, and its full of umami.. which I find interesting only in 4-6oz quantities. I can't stomach a full pint of this stuff. I'm starting to think I should just start passing over any Stone collaboration from here on... but I liked Dayman, so that makes for a tricky quandary here.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout from Stone Brewing Co.