Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPARobert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: ESPNman on 07-27-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Awroight. 7.7% ABV confirmed. Self identifies as an "India Pale Ale Brewed and Flavored with Coconut." Reviewed as such. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with nice printed-on label art and branded pry-off cap acquired earlier tonight at a local SoCal bottle shop and served into a flared stem-snifter/tulip hybrid glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm just a biteen over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of beige colour. Above average thickness. Okay creaminess. Above average (~3.5+ minutes). Light weak lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's pretty standard fare for the style. Not unique or special, but no overt flaws are immediately evident.

Sm: Floral hops, caramalt, clean pale malts, barley, mango, and grapefruit. I normally wouldn't notice any coconut (like if it wasn't blatant on the label), but when I really really search, I do find some light coconut shavings on the back-end; not at all an evocative note or even a pleasant one. They clearly didn't use enough coconut; it feels like a homebrew attempt at a coconut beer. When Kona does it better, you know you're amateur. Some apricot and peach. It's a biteen artificial, like some extract was used. That certainly contributes to the homebrew vibe. An above average strength aroma with no detectable yeast character or alcohol. Not impressive, but pleasant and inviting for what it is.

T: Hmm. Unwelcome tropical fruit hop esters (mango, apricot, tangerine, peach, melon, fruit punch) mix unfavorably with overdone caramalt and clean malts. Any coconut shavings/coconut milk notes are extremely light and get buried deep beneath the hop notes; talk about a lack of subtlety or respect for balance. They really missed the mark on the coconut. Some hop bitterness does leak out and goes untamed - not a pleasant note. Some candi-like sweetness; I might even suspect a dash of candi sugar was used. As it warms, it becomes evident too much caramalt was used. It's not gestalt, and feels haphazard. Floral hops. Not getting any oily, nectary, or juicy citrusy hops. Even the grapefruit is quite limited. It's just pretty meh all around. Its below average depth of flavour and flavour intensity certainly don't help it. Flavour duration is average. Little complexity or subtlety here, and careless balance. Poor layering. I'm not much of a fan.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. Overhopped.

No blatant off-flavours are noticeable.

All things considered, as it warms I do grow to love the finish - which has the most coconut shavings/coconut milk. It's a nice refreshing end to an unremarkable flavour profile. Too bad the whole beer isn't as good as the finish.

Mf: Overcarbonated. Full-bodied but lacking in flavour. Weak and empty. Muted. Not oily, harsh, or gushed, but a bit biting. Strangely coarse and dry on the climax, tanking drinkability. Bad presence on the palate for the style. A bit too thick. Doesn't seem brewed with the flavour profile in mind; it hardly matches up. Not to style. Sticky.

Dr: Another forgettable brew from the most overrated brewery in brewing history. Pedestrian gimmicky mediocrity that doesn't warrant a second (or even a first) purchase. Doesn't hide its alcohol particularly well. Wouldn't recommend to friends. I'll finish this bottle, but I wouldn't want another (even if it were free). Okay drinkability. I like the concept, but the execution is poor. What little quality there is here I attribute to Ryan Reschan.

Really gets better as it warms - surprising for an IPA. I initially gave it a Low C-, but as it warms it develops into a Low C.

Low C

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle (enjoy by 10/10/2013) into a tulip. Pours a clear coppery color w/ a frothy bright white head, some nebulous lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is tropical and citrusy with a subtle hint of something different, just a whiff of something earthy and nutty. But I'd be hard-pressed to ID it as coconut if it didn't say so on the bottle. Smells basically like a clean West Coast IPA, which is just fine with me.

Taste is a blend of mostly pale and some caramel malts plus piney/citrusy bitter hops. Typical clean bold Stone flavor.

Mouthfeel is perhaps where I pick up the coconut the most. There's an oily quality here that I can't attribute to the malt or hops.

Overall, another good brew but nothing extraordinary here. I guess if you're going to call it a coconut IPA you'd better go full frontal with the coconut. If they'd called it IPA with coconut, I'd be more forgiving. Still, Stone managed to extract another $8 from my wallet.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a light copper color with a one finger creamy tan head. Some streaks of lace down the glass.

S: Tropical fruit almost to the point it smells like a smoothie, toasted coconut, piney hops and some bready malt.

T: Definitely not what I was expecting, but I like it. Tons of piney, bitter hops with a citrus rind edge. Finish is bitter with a hint of baby aspirin and bready malt. The coconut peeks out every once in a while, but you really have to dig to find it. If I hadn't known ahead of time there was coconut in here, I don't think I would ever have guessed it.

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, enjoy by 10/10/13.

A: Pours a smooth, perfectly clear light amber color with a half finger of fluffy off-white head from a vigorous pour. Head quickly dissipates to a mottled film only sustained by bubbling and a minimal ring. Lacing is minimal.

S: Hoppy, citrusy and fresh. The tropical fruits in the nose here play well with the idea of coconut -- I am getting grapefruit, pineapple, and a little stone fruit. A malty sweetness backs the whole thing; this is a very nice smelling beer, although I really don't get too much coconut. There is maybe a faint hint of coconut on the nose on warming, but I could be imagining this because I desperately want to find coconut. Either way, it smells delicious.

T/M: Wow. This taste is entirely different from the smell. Carbonation is medium and mouthfeel is medium to thin -- maybe a little light for the style (and particularly from what I expected after the smell), but not bad. Taste is really tough to nail down; I am finding the coconut in this coconut IPA to be very elusive. This beer is astonishingly not flavorful. Up front I get a little malt sweetness that doesn't do much more than any other IPA, although the carbonation does save it a little bit. The middle of the sip is much the same as the front, but the finish is distinct, bringing a hop bitterness that lingers. On warming, a very little bit of coconut sweetness does show up as a background to everything else about this beer, but I have trouble billing it as a prominent flavor. This is not a bad beer so much as an unexceptional beer that happens to have a very little bit of coconut in it.

O: I am a little disappointed, particularly after how excellent Dayman was. For $5-6 per bomber, I am not feeling super jilted, but I will not buy this again unless someone else particularly wants it. As I wrote above, it is not a bad beer; it is actually a very decent beer. It's just that it really isn't anything all that special, and when you bill yourself as something special and fail to deliver, it comes off in a way that is disappointing.

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The idea of a coconut IPA really excited me, so when I stumbled on a fresh shipment of these I was grabbed a few bottles immediately.

A: Poured a crystal clear light amber color, some bubbles are present. Head was somewhat light, the lacing is gorgeous and very frothy. Definitely a gorgeous looking beer.

S: The smell is pretty light. I’m picking up on the coconut a bit and hops. Nothing spectacular.

T: There’s a very crisp and refreshing taste of hops at the front, I’m not getting a lot of malts or sweetness at all. The coconut is extremely faint, but it is very welcome with a dry finish.

M: I’m really liking the mouth on this one, although I would like to see more carbonation. As the beer warms, I started picking up on the coconut more.

O: Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I may not go out of my way to try it again, but I’m glad I did. I feel the aroma is lacking a bit, but this is a pretty light IPA so I’m not too surprised. I would have loved to taste more coconut, and I feel the beer could have balanced the coconut a bit better with everything else. A bit more sweet on the front may have done wonders to really draw the coconut flavor out. However, for what it is, it’s a solid IPA.

3.89/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle to tulip. Pours a tawny clear brass, quickly forming a fluffy three finger high head. Forever retention and tons of lacing left on the glass.

Aroma is rather muted, but smells very similar to Stone IPA the toasted coconut mellows out the hops much like a barrel aged IPA like Great Divide Rumble. Sweet honey dipped bread, pine and orange citrus and some mango come through the most. The coconut is detectable but like a previous reviewer noted it is rather forced and synthetic like sunblock smells of pina colada. Alcohol is also breathy and detectable.

Bready and balanced with sweet caramel malt pushing equally with a strong pine and orange citrus hop backing. Toasted coconut comes through in the finish bringing some sweetness and some vanilla character. Medium bitterness and a shot of alcohol to finish.

Medium body with good carbonation. Alcohol well hidden once the beer begins to warm. Sticky on the palate.

Enjoyable IPA, not as tropical as I would have expected but still creative and well done, more like Stone IPA goes on vacation. An easy going beer, so kick back and savor.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA from Stone Brewing Co.