Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPARobert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA

good

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: ESPNman on 07-27-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA Alström Bros

Jeremy_H, Aug 01, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a light copper color with a one finger creamy tan head. Some streaks of lace down the glass.

S: Tropical fruit almost to the point it smells like a smoothie, toasted coconut, piney hops and some bready malt.

T: Definitely not what I was expecting, but I like it. Tons of piney, bitter hops with a citrus rind edge. Finish is bitter with a hint of baby aspirin and bready malt. The coconut peeks out every once in a while, but you really have to dig to find it. If I hadn't known ahead of time there was coconut in here, I don't think I would ever have guessed it.

notchucknorris, Jul 31, 2013

Dagsy, Jul 31, 2013

danwho, Jul 31, 2013

DrewShalvoy, Jul 31, 2013

Obsidian, Jul 31, 2013

mhaugo, Jul 31, 2013

fox227, Jul 31, 2013
3.69/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, enjoy by 10/10/13.

A: Pours a smooth, perfectly clear light amber color with a half finger of fluffy off-white head from a vigorous pour. Head quickly dissipates to a mottled film only sustained by bubbling and a minimal ring. Lacing is minimal.

S: Hoppy, citrusy and fresh. The tropical fruits in the nose here play well with the idea of coconut -- I am getting grapefruit, pineapple, and a little stone fruit. A malty sweetness backs the whole thing; this is a very nice smelling beer, although I really don't get too much coconut. There is maybe a faint hint of coconut on the nose on warming, but I could be imagining this because I desperately want to find coconut. Either way, it smells delicious.

T/M: Wow. This taste is entirely different from the smell. Carbonation is medium and mouthfeel is medium to thin -- maybe a little light for the style (and particularly from what I expected after the smell), but not bad. Taste is really tough to nail down; I am finding the coconut in this coconut IPA to be very elusive. This beer is astonishingly not flavorful. Up front I get a little malt sweetness that doesn't do much more than any other IPA, although the carbonation does save it a little bit. The middle of the sip is much the same as the front, but the finish is distinct, bringing a hop bitterness that lingers. On warming, a very little bit of coconut sweetness does show up as a background to everything else about this beer, but I have trouble billing it as a prominent flavor. This is not a bad beer so much as an unexceptional beer that happens to have a very little bit of coconut in it.

O: I am a little disappointed, particularly after how excellent Dayman was. For $5-6 per bomber, I am not feeling super jilted, but I will not buy this again unless someone else particularly wants it. As I wrote above, it is not a bad beer; it is actually a very decent beer. It's just that it really isn't anything all that special, and when you bill yourself as something special and fail to deliver, it comes off in a way that is disappointing.

jdhowe, Jul 31, 2013
3.71/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The idea of a coconut IPA really excited me, so when I stumbled on a fresh shipment of these I was grabbed a few bottles immediately.

A: Poured a crystal clear light amber color, some bubbles are present. Head was somewhat light, the lacing is gorgeous and very frothy. Definitely a gorgeous looking beer.

S: The smell is pretty light. I’m picking up on the coconut a bit and hops. Nothing spectacular.

T: There’s a very crisp and refreshing taste of hops at the front, I’m not getting a lot of malts or sweetness at all. The coconut is extremely faint, but it is very welcome with a dry finish.

M: I’m really liking the mouth on this one, although I would like to see more carbonation. As the beer warms, I started picking up on the coconut more.

O: Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I may not go out of my way to try it again, but I’m glad I did. I feel the aroma is lacking a bit, but this is a pretty light IPA so I’m not too surprised. I would have loved to taste more coconut, and I feel the beer could have balanced the coconut a bit better with everything else. A bit more sweet on the front may have done wonders to really draw the coconut flavor out. However, for what it is, it’s a solid IPA.

lizardspring, Jul 31, 2013
3.89/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle to tulip. Pours a tawny clear brass, quickly forming a fluffy three finger high head. Forever retention and tons of lacing left on the glass.

Aroma is rather muted, but smells very similar to Stone IPA the toasted coconut mellows out the hops much like a barrel aged IPA like Great Divide Rumble. Sweet honey dipped bread, pine and orange citrus and some mango come through the most. The coconut is detectable but like a previous reviewer noted it is rather forced and synthetic like sunblock smells of pina colada. Alcohol is also breathy and detectable.

Bready and balanced with sweet caramel malt pushing equally with a strong pine and orange citrus hop backing. Toasted coconut comes through in the finish bringing some sweetness and some vanilla character. Medium bitterness and a shot of alcohol to finish.

Medium body with good carbonation. Alcohol well hidden once the beer begins to warm. Sticky on the palate.

Enjoyable IPA, not as tropical as I would have expected but still creative and well done, more like Stone IPA goes on vacation. An easy going beer, so kick back and savor.

rawfish, Jul 31, 2013

darkmoon66, Jul 30, 2013
4.21/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the brewery.

My pint arrives in a tulip with a half inch of tight white foam floating atop the elixir contained therein. The color is a beautiful coppery orange. Head dissipates quickly leaving wispy white lacing on the sides of the glass and a small, thin coaster floating in the beer. The nose is huge citrus with a formidable dank, hoppy element. Taste is a citrus explosion up front. Tangerine, orange and a bit of mango sweetness. The coconut comes in on the backside and contributes volumes to the mid palate. Piney bitterness and dank hemp round out the flavor profile. The beer finishes with grapefruit rind bitterness which lingers. Feel is medium which works well here. It smells, tastes and drinks like a DIPA in this reviewers humble opinion. Overall an incredible offering from Stone and Rip Current. One of the best I've had recently. Highly recommended!

Sideswipe, Jul 29, 2013

largadeer, Jul 29, 2013
3.84/5  rDev +4.3%

2013 bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A: Pours a deep yellow golden amber color with a 2 finger light khaki head.

S: Deep pine and citrus aroma. Grapefruit notes. Not getting a ton on the aroma on this, smells of a standard Stone IPA. No coconut even when looking for it.

T: Typical huge tropical fruit notes, with a pine resin bitterness kicking in. I am getting a slight coconut flavor, but I find it to be subtle. More in a coconut milk sort of flavor opposed to the fruit itself. As it warms up it becomes more apparent but even people who dislike coconut I could see enjoying this and getting passed it.

M: Medium bodied standard stone body which is great with a slight creaminess to it which I assert to be the coconut addition.

O: A solid IPA offering with a very slight coconut hint. I had to go looking for it in order to find it, and if I wasn't told on the label to look for coconut I doubt I would have picked up on it. Great IPA regardless, but I'd expect nothing less from Stone though I do wish the coconut was more "in your face".

CommanderOfAwesome, Jul 28, 2013
Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA from Stone Brewing Co.