17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Inspired by new experimental German hops, our brewing team is celebrating our 17th Jahrestag by taking palates on an unconventional tour of Deutschland by way of Southern California. In doing so, we used a grain bill comprised exclusively of pilsner malts and German hops with crazy awesome names: Herkules, Hersbrucker, Magnum, Merkur, Opal, Smaragd & Strisselspalt. Dry-hopping with Sterling, a U.S. hop with Saaz parentage, lends a bit of familiarity, but be forewarned, this is a unique beer that takes the IPA–a style we've already pushed far beyond it's previous limits over the years–to interesting new territory.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-14-2013)
Reviews by dfernandez77:
dfernandez77

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Crystal clear golden yellow. Nice fluffy white head that falls quickly and leaves a creamy top and nice lace.

Aroma:
Very clean malt aromas, toasty saltine crackers, a little sweetness, and zero diacetyl (which I was fearing with a 100% pilsner malt bill). Hop characters are all herbal and floral as expected for all German hops; chamomile and chrysanthemum tea, echoes of sage and thyme.

Taste:
Old world hop bittering brought to the right level to balance the Pilsen malt sweetness and residual sugars, then leave a crisp bitter aftertaste reminiscent of wormwood. Malts are sweet/slick/rich; but cleaner than most DIPAs this big. Sweetness fades pretty fast in the finish, leaving a long herbal/floral bitterness as you might expect in a bitter carminative herb digestif.

Mouthfeel:
Medium body, slightly slick with an astringency in the finish that slowly develops as the residual sugars drop off.

Overall Impression:
Yes I do love American craft beer, but I but my “craft” teeth over 20 years ago before Stone existed. I had to go to specialty liquor stores and buy the best stuff being imported from Germany, the UK, Ireland, Belgium, and so forth. I even begged a business associate going to Belgium to close a deal, to bring me back a true Lambic – which he appropriately stuffed in multiple socks (clean or dirty I don’t know) to bring back in his luggage.

German hops, yes. I mean yes like “YES!”. Over the top carminative herbal and field flower floral aromas and bitterness. Perhaps the cleanest all pilsner malt fermentation I’ve tasted at this ABV level (no diacetyl is not easy to achieve all pilsner at this gravity).

Seriously good – and seriously impressive. And if you don’t get it, you need to immerse yourself in some of the best beers from the Old World for a while.

08-28-2013 02:16:40 | More by dfernandez77

07-24-2014 03:52:39 | More by Ashinpaugh
woodychandler

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My former high school classmate and current drinking buddy, Mike, stopped by to help me in my ongoing bottle eradication. He spied this one and suggested that I break it out since it was already older than the brewery would have preferred. This is all part of the reason that I will not be buying many bottles in the future - it just becomes too easy to get inundated and backlogged by the dang things!

From the bottle: "August 2013 Release Drink Fresh"; "Stone 17th Anniversary Gotterdammerung IPA [-] Life is never dull at Stone, but the last year has been one of the most eventful yet. We threw open the doors to Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station, our second decidedly eclectic brewery restaurant, installed in two historic Naval Training Center buildings (including the original mess hall). We outfitted it with a 10-barrel brewhouse, 40 taps serving Stone and guest beers, a huge outdoor garden area, and 650-plus seats. Hey, 'small' is for other people. Well, come to think of it, we do have our own version of 'small' in our brand-new-as-of-August craft beer-centric Stone bar and eatery in Terminal 2 of San Diego International Airport. At any rate, plan your trip accordingly. And we doubled the size and production capacity of our brewery, built the new Stone Packaging Hall and, oh yeah, found out we're now the 10th largest craft brewing company in the country. We can hardly believe we fit all that into one paragraph, much less 12 months. Through all that growth, like hop bines rooted in fertile soil (see what we did there?), we kept our feet securely planted on terra firma, remembering that it's all about the beer - we'd be nothing without it. and so, as we prepare to celebrate 17 years of straining the seams of the ale envelope, we again focus squarely on beer via our annual anniversary offering, while at the same time laying to waste long-held concepts of what German hops can and cannot do, as well as what the world has come to know about San Diego IPAs - thanks much in part to our family of beers."; "Inspired by new experimental German hops, our brewing team is celebrating our 17ten Jahrestag by taking palates on an unconventional tour of Deutschland by way of Southern California. In doing so, we used a grain bill comprised exclusively of pilsner malts and German hops with crazy awesome names: Herkules, Hersbrucker, Magnum, Merkur, Opal, Smaragd & Strisselspalt. Dry-hopping with Sterling, a U.S. hop with Saaz parentage, lends a bit of familiarity, but be forewarned, this is a unique beer that takes the IPA - a style we've already pushed far beyond its previous limits over the years - to interesting new territory. Schumpeter chose economics; we chose beer. Our creative destruction has been aimed squarely at the previously-held-dear conventions of what beer can and should be. Stone 17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA is the latest in a long line of innovations, but nowhere near the last. Not by a long shot. [undersigned] Greg Koch CEO & Co-founder [,] Steve Wagner President & Co-founder".

Whew! I poured for both Mike and I, netting three fingers of rocky, tawny head with very good retention. Color was a solid gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very grassy with an underlying honey sweetness. [Bear in mind that I had not read or transcribed the above when I took my notes. My notes are direct.] This is an IPA?!? I would have guessed a German Pils. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was sharp and grassy, more like an Imperial Pils. There was also a fairly hot fusel alcohol bite to it. Finish was dry, with a grassy, slightly minty coolness on the extreme finish. Wild!

07-23-2014 14:24:15 | More by woodychandler

Missouri

07-09-2014 03:07:44 | More by LilLebowskiUrbanAchievers
ghstrp

07-09-2014 00:05:33 | More by ghstrp
17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA from Stone Brewing Co.