17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-14-2013

Inspired by new experimental German hops, our brewing team is celebrating our 17th Jahrestag by taking palates on an unconventional tour of Deutschland by way of Southern California. In doing so, we used a grain bill comprised exclusively of pilsner malts and German hops with crazy awesome names: Herkules, Hersbrucker, Magnum, Merkur, Opal, Smaragd & Strisselspalt. Dry-hopping with Sterling, a U.S. hop with Saaz parentage, lends a bit of familiarity, but be forewarned, this is a unique beer that takes the IPA–a style we've already pushed far beyond it's previous limits over the years–to interesting new territory.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,790 | Reviews: 331
4.81/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Its been nearly 2 years since i had this beer and I still long for its super piney and dank aroma. This is the best IPA i have had. Wish they still made it.

4.06/5  rDev +3%

A: Pours a hazy, murky gold with a billowing, thick white head that laces deep into the glass.

S: Aromas of caramel, biscuits, crackers, grass, straw, herbs, lemon, wildflower honey, and lime zest are easily detectable on the nose.

T: Notes of lemon rind, lime zest, wildflower honey, straw, grass, lavender, sage, peppermint, hyssop, kumquat, and beeswax assault the palate, while layers of biscuit, caramel, cracker, and cream flavors build underneath. The finish is bitter and intense, offering lingering sensations of grass, herb, and bready malt flavors.

M: Medium-bodied and a bit resinous. Carbonation is supple. Once this beer begins to settle on the palate, it becomes somewhat silky and creamy. A mellow alcohol warmth is noticeable on the fade. An easy sipper to be sure.

O: A very good experimental IPA. Though I keep harping on Stone for the seemingly endless string of IPA variations they crank out year after year, I have to concede that they are incredibly good at what they do. This ale is another winner from Stone that is well worth tracking down.

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

Hazy copper with thin head that fades quickly. Apricot, grapefruit, butter, pine on the nose. Orange cream and grassy bitter flavors up front fading into a long bitter floral finish. Oily/soapy mouthfeel with prickly carbonation that cuts through.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Better than Pasadena release! Not sure what's up with the ultra-hopped Stones lately, but "enjoy by" may not be the best advice so far as my palate's concerned...

4.62/5  rDev +17.3%

God damn! Thats a good beer!

a special release that came and went! It had a nice punch to it!

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

From notes. Pour is hazed straw yellow with a white ring. Nose is bready with a fair bit of dough, notes of tangerine and citrus hops. Taste is also doughy, lots of doughy malt with a balance of citrus hops and some golden fruit. Moderate bitterness through the highly carbonated finish with a medium body.

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My former high school classmate and current drinking buddy, Mike, stopped by to help me in my ongoing bottle eradication. He spied this one and suggested that I break it out since it was already older than the brewery would have preferred. This is all part of the reason that I will not be buying many bottles in the future - it just becomes too easy to get inundated and backlogged by the dang things!

From the bottle: "August 2013 Release Drink Fresh"; "Stone 17th Anniversary Gotterdammerung IPA [-] Life is never dull at Stone, but the last year has been one of the most eventful yet. We threw open the doors to Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station, our second decidedly eclectic brewery restaurant, installed in two historic Naval Training Center buildings (including the original mess hall). We outfitted it with a 10-barrel brewhouse, 40 taps serving Stone and guest beers, a huge outdoor garden area, and 650-plus seats. Hey, 'small' is for other people. Well, come to think of it, we do have our own version of 'small' in our brand-new-as-of-August craft beer-centric Stone bar and eatery in Terminal 2 of San Diego International Airport. At any rate, plan your trip accordingly. And we doubled the size and production capacity of our brewery, built the new Stone Packaging Hall and, oh yeah, found out we're now the 10th largest craft brewing company in the country. We can hardly believe we fit all that into one paragraph, much less 12 months. Through all that growth, like hop bines rooted in fertile soil (see what we did there?), we kept our feet securely planted on terra firma, remembering that it's all about the beer - we'd be nothing without it. and so, as we prepare to celebrate 17 years of straining the seams of the ale envelope, we again focus squarely on beer via our annual anniversary offering, while at the same time laying to waste long-held concepts of what German hops can and cannot do, as well as what the world has come to know about San Diego IPAs - thanks much in part to our family of beers."; "Inspired by new experimental German hops, our brewing team is celebrating our 17ten Jahrestag by taking palates on an unconventional tour of Deutschland by way of Southern California. In doing so, we used a grain bill comprised exclusively of pilsner malts and German hops with crazy awesome names: Herkules, Hersbrucker, Magnum, Merkur, Opal, Smaragd & Strisselspalt. Dry-hopping with Sterling, a U.S. hop with Saaz parentage, lends a bit of familiarity, but be forewarned, this is a unique beer that takes the IPA - a style we've already pushed far beyond its previous limits over the years - to interesting new territory. Schumpeter chose economics; we chose beer. Our creative destruction has been aimed squarely at the previously-held-dear conventions of what beer can and should be. Stone 17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA is the latest in a long line of innovations, but nowhere near the last. Not by a long shot. [undersigned] Greg Koch CEO & Co-founder [,] Steve Wagner President & Co-founder".

Whew! I poured for both Mike and I, netting three fingers of rocky, tawny head with very good retention. Color was a solid gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very grassy with an underlying honey sweetness. [Bear in mind that I had not read or transcribed the above when I took my notes. My notes are direct.] This is an IPA?!? I would have guessed a German Pils. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was sharp and grassy, more like an Imperial Pils. There was also a fairly hot fusel alcohol bite to it. Finish was dry, with a grassy, slightly minty coolness on the extreme finish. Wild!

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had a bottle of this sitting in the back of my fridge that had a bunch of other stuff in front of it that was keeping this bottle hidden for awhile. Poured into my tulip glass. This beer pours a mainly clear, slightly hazy/cloudy medium golden/copper color with a bit of an orange hue. Had some chunks of dead yeast floating in it that got agitated in the bottle when I gave this a rough pour from the bottle into the glass. Nice fluffy white head is a good 1 inch thick when first poured before settling to a good solid 1/4 inch thick with very nice lacing indeed! Aromas of piney, citrus/grapefruit hops along with some nice caramel malt tones and hints of spice are all present here smell wise. Has a good citrus/grapefruit hop flavor upfront that gives way to some very nice caramel malt sweetness and is rounded out with the aforementioned spiciness. Good balance of flavors here. Still pretty much as hoppy as I remember it being from the 2 bottles I had of this back 7 months ago or so when this beer was fresh, perhaps only slightly less bitterness now. I guess being that the bottle of this was stored in the back of my fridge for about 6 months or so as opposed to that time being spent in my cellar did help to preserve this wonderful beer. Has a crisp, smooth, slightly creamy, frothy, slightly prickly and slightly chewy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the good way that excellent craft beer ought to be. Another excellent beer from Stone. I would expect nothing less from them of course, and I really hope that they bring this one back in some form and brew more batches of it in the future. After all these years Stone still manages to put new and unique spins on this style of beer!

Eric

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

No matter how good or bad new Stone anniversary beers are, they always just remind me of how much I miss 12... Anyway, this stuff pours a lightly-hazy golden-amber topped by a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises biscuit, mild toffee, pine resin, grapefruit peel, flowers, and a hint of lemon rind. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a decently powerful vein of lime zest and green apple. These hops work really well with the mild-mannered malt backbone, I must say. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a nice IPA, a shift for Stone anniversary hop-bombs in my eyes, as the hops aren't trying to drown, blind, and hobble me with their epic brute force. Nice balance for a hop-forward IPA and a tasty hop combination.

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer was a miss for me. In fairness it was a while ago that I had it so some if this is from memory. It was my least favorite Stone offering. Nice classic IPA appearance, nothing but hops in the nose and bitterness that dominated everything else. Prickly mouthfeel I didn't care for and a long lingering overly bitter aftertaste.

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%

On-tap at The Queen's Kickshaw, Astoria, NY

A: The beer is hazy orange yellow in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that died down, leaving a thin collar around the edge of the glass. The head eventually completely faded away.
S: Strong aromas of grapefruit hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste starts out with strong amounts of bitterness, which overshadow the flavors of grapefruit citrus. The bitterness lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is an "in your face" hoppy beer that is not for the faint of heart. It packs in a lot of hops, but the bittering hops really seem to stand out the most.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours clear orange golden, thinner body than expected light carbonation, mostly seen rising in the center of my chalice. Header is white and light, and settles quickly to a film.
Smells nice and somewhat "fresh", but muted: fruity hops, malts, bread, zest.
Bitterly juicy hops and German malts are married. I'm enjoying the sum of all it's "experimental" parts; it was tough to tell if I would upon smelling it. Earthy pine. Unique as far as IPA's go. My favorite part is the lingering bitter finish, puckering from a fresh stream of all of these various ingredients.
Carbonation is medium and mouthfeel is light/medium with a greatly bitter, grassy-pilsner bite that haunts the mouth for awhile at the end.

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The aroma is of German hops, and more modern hops with aroma such as citrus and pine. There is also a slight malty sweetness in the aroma and you can also notice the 9.5 % ABV. This beer is a venture into the German malts and hops by Stone and I felt it was very successful. Color is golden, slightly cloudy. When tasting you notice the hop bitterness. The beers I have tried by Stone have showed me that they are not shy of using hops, and this is no exception. Ther eis lots of hops, but it is still a balance there with maltiness and alcohol. The mouthfeel is crisp, the body is medium and the foam holds up well.

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A brownish orange color with a good bit of transparency, a huge two finger white head at the top that leaves some nice lacing around the glass as you drink.

S: Pine hops right off the bat, with a little tangyness from the malts, a slight presence of grapefruit and mangos, and some spice in there as well.

T: A sweeter taste compared to the nose on this one, some orange up front with honey, and some kick from the hops as well. This one is pretty smooth the alcohol is not to much, easy to drink.

M: Dry finish, medium bodied, good amount of carbonation

D: Stone makes great IPA's so this one doe the same thing, nice simple DIPA, well balanced and easy drinker.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer poured a crystalline tan-gold in color.

There’s a sharp aroma of lemon and lemongrass in spades. Clear, bright, crisp and clean. I’m liking it already.

The flavor comes off equally brilliant, with a hoppy handful of lemony zest and a bittering that is surprisingly enough easy going given the strength. It hides its ABV a little too well, as this went down all too easily. I’m hooked.

Another brilliant offering from stone brewing. Pours a handsome golden orange hue with a lasting slightly off white head that gives way to a beautiful lasting lacing. The aroma is floral and grassy with slight notes of citrus and roasted malt. It sips lightly with a medium to light body but just enough hoppy resin to coat the mouth pleasantly. Tge flavor is definitely European inspired with a genorous amount of malty sweetness and alcohol bite off set by a very west coast hoppy bitterness. Not the best Stone has to offer but a very enjoyable and drinkable ale.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had on-tap at Central City Tap House in Kalamazoo, MI. Served in a tulip glass.

A- Orange-gold, good clarity with a medium white head that stuck around.

S- Citrus, some tropical fruits, dank, light floral notes, light malts.

T- Bitter and floral is coming first, not a super aggressive bitterness but much more floral than the aroma. Some sweetness and slight fruity notes. The ABV is well hidden.

M- A medium-heavy mouthfeel and a bit drier than I was expecting.

O- A solid Imperial IPA and I'm glad I found it on-tap. There are still bottles around but they are about 4 or 5 months old now so I wouldn't buy those, at least not for rating. Wish I had bought a bottle when it first came out. The aroma had me very excited but the taste did not really match it and was more floral than fruity.

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into standard pint.

A: Light golden hue. Pours a 2 finger, dry, bubbly white head. Settles slowly leaving dry sticky residue behind as it does. Nice foam blanket remains. Plenty of spider web lacing.

S: Hops, pine resin, with a nice floral component. A little soapy.

T: Slightly sweet, piney hop. Bitter pecan shells.

M: Hoppy with a slightly bitter sweet component. Dry finish. Syrupy body.

D: Sip and enjoy.

Atmosphere is really nice. Bubbly head, dry spider web lacing. Hops and pine resin, with a floral component. Piney and a little sweet. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer- definitely a different take on the IPA. The German hops really added a deep, spicy bitterness, especially to the taste, that lingered into a long herbal, bitter finish. Good firm malting level supports all of the hops and avoids sweetness, letting the piercing, dry bitterness shine through. I wish this were not just a one-off. Sometimes I'm in the mood for exactly this type of dry, spicy bitterness that avoids the sweet malt and the citrus but is still a massive beer. Great job!

Excellent lacing on an orange attractive IPA. Quite like the approach Stone used on this beer going for an all German hop lineup. I think it worked rather well, an attractive earthy citrus aromas, with some spiciness and strong hop flavours, dry finish and a good working balance throughout. Not an outstanding DIPA but one that explores some interesting new territory and is well worth trying. Would certainly have again if I had the chance.

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: prominent white head, wheat colored body

S: crisp hops, a lingering citrus cleanliness

T: nothing unexpected: bitter and refreshing, nothing stale or overstated about it. nice hints of lemon and grapefruit throughout.

M: moderate carbonation, lingering IPA hops

O: a solid beer, I've yet to go wrong with Stone's IPAs yet.

3.04/5  rDev -22.8%

This seemed old.. not discrediting stone.. but probably how it was stored.. wish I'd of liked it more. Malt malt malt malt. Not hops.. had a bad after taste. No real aroma.. just the smell alone. I knew it was not stored right.. wish I'd of had it fresh. Stone makes great ipas this one was just a bad particular bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Shallow gold, orange, off white head. Very little head, light lacing. Very hoppy, very WIPA characteristics, but the body is like that of Deutschland. This pilsner crispness at times. Grassy, mango, pineapple, orange, citrus, cat piss. Medium body, nice burning going down. This is a nice beer.

Bottle poured into glass

Hazy amber orange with noticeable carbonation. One finger foam cap quickly fades, beautiful lacings after each taste.

Aroma of citrus and lemony hops. Bit of spice.

Explosion of hoppiness on the first sip. Bitter notes at first. Citrus and pine. Bitterness continues on the middle and back of the tongue. The better notes continue on the sides and back of the mouth on the aftertaste. Light to medium mouthfeel.

Explosive hop taste from start to finish. If you like your beer with a bitter bite, try this one. Very interesting, very hoppy.

17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA from Stone Brewing Co.