17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-14-2013

Inspired by new experimental German hops, our brewing team is celebrating our 17th Jahrestag by taking palates on an unconventional tour of Deutschland by way of Southern California. In doing so, we used a grain bill comprised exclusively of pilsner malts and German hops with crazy awesome names: Herkules, Hersbrucker, Magnum, Merkur, Opal, Smaragd & Strisselspalt. Dry-hopping with Sterling, a U.S. hop with Saaz parentage, lends a bit of familiarity, but be forewarned, this is a unique beer that takes the IPA–a style we've already pushed far beyond it's previous limits over the years–to interesting new territory.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,783 | Reviews: 329

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle, it's a beer amongst beers that I can't explain. Imperial IPA with a blast of German hop varieties, I could tell by the first sniff. Looks great copper golden beautiful beer with a slightly off white cream colored head. Extreme German hops, earthy, grassy, and citrus peel come to mind. Full on German, hop assault all pilsner malt. Goes down way too easy, drinks like a session beer, big hop bitterness but it doesn't assault the palate. Lingering bitterness between sips tends to sit on the palate, grapefruit peel acrid bitterness let's up to the bready pilsner malts. Very interesting hybrid DIPA, I give them props for keeping this style so innovative they are no becoming stagnant to the consumers palate which is a very hard thing to do when you're selling extreme beer styles. Overall I couldn't be happier with this Anniversary ale from Stone I bought two bottles of this and the Enjoy By 9/13/13. Both are excellent products from artisanal and marketing point of view.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Minimal amount of head that doesn't go past a finger. My guess would be that it is pure cotton white but it had no retention at all. The body is a pale amber/honey that seems a bit weaker in the light. No real lacing.

Nose- Surprisingly weak or at the very least, exceedingly weak. I get honey, flowers, and nectar but nothing traditional as far as hops go. I realize this is experimental but it is odd to smell a DIPA that doesn't overwhelm you with citrus, pine, and resin. I got a bit of grassiness and an earthy character from the bottle. A weird smokiness when I revisit the bottle. I love the honey from the glass.

Taste- Spice seems to dominate at first but I'm having a hard time parsing different notes. Lots of wood, pine, and resin followed by some melon and honey. Very spicy ending- these German hops are very interesting. It seems as if the spice levels of old school hops have been ratcheted up a level. I can't say I can complain. This beer may suffer from the lack of any real malt bill. Very dry finish- it's a weird blend of a DIPA, a pilsner, and a India Pale Lager. No alcohol is present even though there are no real dominant flavors to subdue that. This is easily one of the oddest beers I've had (and I've had gruits and sahtis and kvasses) but I like it. This seems like a mix between an imperial pilsner and an IPL. It is certainly better than any imperial pilsner I've had. There's lots of grass and earth and herbs where your normal wood/pine/resin finish would be. Some chalkiness as well. Gypsum even. This is a nice change from your typical DIPA. Very dry on the finish such that it cleans your palate each time. I'm a little impressed with this beer. It's definitely a good to almost great beer. Some weak citrus starts to come through as it opens up more.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with low carbonation. Some aspect of syrup but not really. Nice dry finish.

Drinkability- This beer could be devastating. I think I could give this to someone and tell them that it was a dry-hopped pilsner and they might gulp it. It's dangerously sessionable. The dry finish with chalk and mineral puts it over the top.

Overall- This is a really good beer that I think will be misunderstood by a lot of people. This is not supposed be your traditional American hop bomb. If you have a palate for German and English hops, you will understand this. I like the shift. Stone has definitely done a service with this beer. It's not their best but it may be the most interesting (that I've had).

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA from Stone Brewing Co.