17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Inspired by new experimental German hops, our brewing team is celebrating our 17th Jahrestag by taking palates on an unconventional tour of Deutschland by way of Southern California. In doing so, we used a grain bill comprised exclusively of pilsner malts and German hops with crazy awesome names: Herkules, Hersbrucker, Magnum, Merkur, Opal, Smaragd & Strisselspalt. Dry-hopping with Sterling, a U.S. hop with Saaz parentage, lends a bit of familiarity, but be forewarned, this is a unique beer that takes the IPA–a style we've already pushed far beyond it's previous limits over the years–to interesting new territory.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-14-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA Alström Bros

JoshuaWagy, Aug 20, 2013

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Obsidian, Aug 20, 2013

1424IpA, Aug 20, 2013
3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a clear dark golden color with a thin off white head. Leaves some subtle strings of lace down the glass.

S: I get a lot of different things competing for attention in here. There's definitely a spicy, minty, almost herbal hop note, but there's also a pretty substantial tropical hop note with hints of mango, passionfruit and guava. A pretty good amount of crusty bready malt and some caramel.

T: Opens with a big spiciness that lingers as it moves across the palate, getting more and more peppery. The hop "bite" isn't there, but there's definitely a suggestion of bitterness in there. Lots of caramel and almost dark bread-y malt flavors going on that hold back the hops a lot. Finish is a touch bitter with some grassy hop resin and leafy hop bitterness. I'd rank this above the 16th Anny and well below the 15th.

notchucknorris, Aug 20, 2013

chefduff2, Aug 20, 2013

Rau71, Aug 20, 2013

CelticAleMan, Aug 20, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

HoppingAlong, Aug 20, 2013

Dave_Treat, Aug 20, 2013
3.94/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a tulip. The color is clear golden. There is a nice white head.

The aroma has grassy hops with some zesty spice.

The taste has a lot of herbal, flowery hop flavor to go with a alightly bready malt profile. The taste lingers leaving a bit of floweryness in the aftertaste. This is hoppy without being a bitter astringent hop wollop.

This is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I'm a Stone fanboy, so I love this. Recommended for those looking for a break from citrus hops.

andrewinski1, Aug 20, 2013

barrelofbastard, Aug 20, 2013
3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle into Gulden Draak tulip. Enjoy by date: 10/17/2013

A: Pours a light citrus golden with an absolutely huge, billow, thick, fluffy, dense, and creamy light tan head that took forever and a day to slowly fade into a pillowy film that left thick streaks of chunky lacework down the glass.
S: Hops are definitely a unique blend of tropical and citrus fruits mixed with pale bready malt and a touch of herbal mintiness.
T: Lemon zest and leafy herbal hops stick out to me. The pilsner malt is light yet apparently, and the finish is lightly bitter and greasy. The aftertaste isn’t hot but the booze is noticeable. Spice makes an appearance in the hop bouquet, and this beer really does taste like more of an European style.
M: Big greasy full body with a heavy viscous feel and splashy carbonation. Thick and well-hopped.
O: Not bad for what it is but nothing amazing. Very drinkable but the hop combination wasn’t my favorite. There are many other Stone offerings I prefer over this one.

scottfrie, Aug 20, 2013

Mersh, Aug 20, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

appearance - 4.5 - starts off with A finger of head, the beer itself is a very clear golden color.The lacing on the glass is nice with perfect rings.

smell/aroma - 4.0 - definitely some citrus e orange grapefruit hops, but also a lot of alcohol, I'm actually a little bit disappointed with how much alcohol I can smell

taste - 4.5 - definitely a lot of grapefruit and pine from the hops, balanceD with a caramel, bready malt. Citrus zest. Bitter.

Mouth feel - 4.75 - pleasant warming feeling and bite from the hops, medium carbonation, bitter aftertaste

Overall - 4.50 - good beer, I love it when I go to Total Wine and stone has a new IPA for me to try, I I was actually looking for a new beer by The Bruery today to add to my list of reviews, but as usual I had to go with one by Stone brewing

ISmith87, Aug 20, 2013

ezperkins2, Aug 20, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

scottDC, Aug 19, 2013
3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy by 10/17/13. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a bright golden with a slight haze; fluffy white head that fades slowly and leaves great retention and lacing. The aromas are very sweet. Lots of caramel malts, followed by some orange peel and pine needles. There's also a touch of alcohol in the nose. The malts play an intricate role in this beer and are very forward. The flavors have a perfect balance between the malts and hops. But don't get it twisted, this is a very bitter beer. It reminds me of what an "Imperial English DIPA" would be. The pilsener malts are noticeable in the flavors, and make for an interesting contrast (in a good way). There's also a ton of lemon zest in the mix as well. Mouthfeel is great; full-bodied with active carbonation; fluffy and creamy. Alcohol basically goes unnoticed, although there's a very subtle amount of heat. This makes for a great sipper. This is a big beer.

This beer is well-crafted and I wouldn't expect anything else from Stone. Maybe this isn't exactly what I expect from them, which is my problem, not their's. I do get what they're doing with this one. I'm personally not crazy about this beer, but it's still good and I can totally appreciate it.

BB1313, Aug 19, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle

nose is nice, difference between the overly citrus or tropical IPAs is immediately noted. At first sniff I don't think the overall hop kick is as strong, but mostly that is due to the pungency of the hops and their fruits represented. It's actually quite strong. 5 years ago we'd probably even call it intense. interesting minty quality mixed with the spices and flowers - I look for the label but no, none of the ice candy Polaris I'd hoped to find. fruitiness is there but not dominant. Malt struggles to shine through, as I would expect. A couple times I think I find the honey/light dough notes of Pilsner malt, but they are quickly overwhelmed. Alcohol - yeah there is some here. Can't help but wonder if a 7.5-8% beer might be a touch more in balance with these less-than-intense German varietals.

light gold color, bright and vibrant. Just Pilsner malts? more color than I'd expect. Head is off white, firm, high and lasting to the bottom with decent lacing. Nice looking Stone beer; no surprise there.

Flavor mostly follows aroma. alcohol is everpresent, just short of hot, but not. Harsh? - probably no more than your standard Stone IPA, actually. I think alcohol is doing more to balance the hops than any malt is to be honest. Nice hop flavor. hint of citrus/lemon. overall flavor is strong but not dominant. ample flowery/spicy hops here - yeah, it seems more noble-ish than any of the "new" German hops I've reading about and occasionally brewing with. There's a decidedly Saaz-ish spice here. I'm frankly disappointed a bit - not that it isn't great, but when I read about new German hops, I wanted to taste more of them. where's the mandarin orange and the aforementioned ice candy? No Hallertau Blanc? Oh well. Otherwise your typical Stone IPA with firm, lingering bitterness, no off flavors, nothing in the way of the hops (and alcohol). Solid all around.

Hints of numbing though less than Ruination, for instance. Ample warming on the palate - obvious this is a big beer. Touch stickier than I expected, and while I appreciate the dry finish, I wouldn't mind it being a touch cleaner. FG might be a bit higher than I expected with just Pils; it seems to work here to help balance the hops. there's malt there, it's just nondescript.

I'm enjoying this, more than I expected to. The hops are on point, and the high alcohol without any real malt character to balance it just makes enjoyment less than it could be otherwise. It's not the ridiculous "hop juice" of some of the session IPAs out there but I can't help but feel it needs some time. Yet I can't age it into anything smoother. Close to greatness...
if I were making this I'd age it cool for probably a year, THEN dry hop it and bottle, just like I'd treat a big English IPA.

udubdawg, Aug 19, 2013
17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA from Stone Brewing Co.