Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPAStochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Sweffin on 08-23-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 291 | Hads: 1,945
2.14/5  rDev -47%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I don't review beers. However, I feel compelled to prepare you for what you are about to experience. It is awful! I was genuinely looking forward to this. You know that back-of-the-throat taste you have after puking? This is it. Imagine taking a bite of the rind of a grapefruit and then grabbing an IPA to cleanse your tastebuds of that terrible, lingering taste only to discover that it's no help.

I will say that it poured a beautiful ruby/orange color with an inch of pillowy head. On the nose, I got not so subtle hints of, you guessed it, grapefruit. Oh, and a pine tree.

After an 8 oz pour from a 22 oz bomber I drain poured this with confidence and woke up the next morning with a horrible, puckering astringent taste in my mouth. Proceed with caution. (764 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The name is indeed "Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA," not "Stochast...India Pale Ale." So props so whomever added this correctly. Bottled 01/29/illegible. (I assume 01/29/14). 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label print and unbranded black pry-off pressure cap acquired at me local H-E-B grocery a couple hours ago and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the brewery. Reviewed as an IPA since the label and description clearly identify it as such.

Served cold - at fridge temp. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a three finger wide head of very pale khaki colour. Okay creaminess, thickness, and frothiness. Okay complexion and consistency. Head retention is good - about 7-8 minutes. Leaves spotty inconsistent lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a transparent translucent copper of very good clarity and average vibrance. Clean; there's no visible yeast sediment or anything. Appears well-carbonated.

Overall, this is predictable standard fare for an IPA. Far from unique or special.

Sm: Soapy - I think this spent too long in primary. Bubblegum. Fresh citrus peel. Grapefruit. Faint pine. Floral hops. Fruity. Fairly resinous, but not real oily or nectary (much to my disappointment). The fresh citrus peel notes are a definite highlight for me personally, but the unwelcome bubblegum seems to drown the finer notes out. Maltwise, it's got a sweet bready undertone with plenty of pale malts and caramalts. Surprisingly, if anything it seems too sweet, not too bitter; did Stone brew this? I'm shocked they seem to have brewed an IPA without unnecessarily overaggressive hop bitterness.

Overall, this is a fairly pleasant clean aroma of mild strength, though it does seem too sweet and the bubblegum is unappealing.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

Mf/T: Okay, right up front it's obvious this is too dry and pithy. It also comes off a bit stale and rough - which is disastrous for an IPA. Wow, this mouthfeel is poorly executed. Overcarbonated, soapy, and medium bodied. Slightly oily. A biteen coarse. Horrid presence on the palate. This is a poor texture for a beer in this style. I'd almost prefer a watery beer to this. Ugh. It just scrapes the tongue.

Not gushed, hot, boozy, harsh, or astringent. There is some tolerable alcohol warmth.

Soapy detergent dominates the flavour profile; this definitely spent way too long in primary. The backbone of the beer is a weak pale malt/caramalt core. I pick up on faint hints of graham cracker as well. Once you get past the soapiness, you're confronted with poorly integrated bubblegum tones. The pleasant citrus peel from the aroma becomes a bitter raw nightmare in the taste, and the grapefruit character is poorly executed. It doesn't quite have the bite of most grapefruit-based IPAs, but it has all of the pithy rindy bitterness. As a result, this flavour profile is soapy and off-putting throughout, but too sweet and bready up front and too bitter on the backend. Obviously, the imbalance is extreme. As it warms, I pick up on that stale orange juice note I always despise in IPAs - a note which lingers on the aftertaste along with the pithy bitterness. Ugh.

No yeast character comes through.

Lacks subtlety, complexity, intricacy, and nuance. The build lacks cohesion. Not a gestalt flavour profile by any means. Below average depth and duration of flavour. Average intensity of flavour. I'm having trouble liking this.

If the off notes don't get to you, the wretched imbalance will. I applaud the experimentation, but frankly this shouldn't have made it to market.

Dr: I swear I approach my reviews of Stone's beers with an open mind, but it sometimes seems like their hop choices and approach to brewing IPAs is just diametrically opposed to my personal tastes. This is absolutely not a beer I'd recommend to friends and not a beer I'd consider buying again. I'll finish this bottle without too much trouble - it's surprisingly drinkable in spite of its many flaws - but boy is this a sad attempt at an IPA. It's the kind of failure at brewing an IPA only Stone (and Green Flash) is (are) capable of. To all those who love this, I wish I was one of you. But unfortunately it's really not doing it for me. Not Stone's finest work, but then it's not a collaboration beer.

Surprisingly, it does get better (less bad?) as it warms. The bitterness becomes less obnoxious and the stale orange juice note picks up a little.

I'm surprised Stone has gone with this sneaky labeling approach. "Koochenvagner's Brewing Co" indeed. I tend to view Stone as a marketing company that happens to manufacture beer, but this marketing decision is somewhat confounding.

Low C- (4,901 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

03/03/14 From Bottle. Not quite what I was expecting. I was looking for that slight pucker one gets from Cigar City's Jai Alai IPA but what I got was much more subtle. Not being a big hops fan I am coming around to some of the more well balanced brew & in particular those that let the unique flavor of Citra hops shine through.

This project, although it shares the essential flavor 'profile', it's obvious how it is applied makes all the difference in the world. Experience dictates one must be extremely careful when using citrus peel & zest. Too much of the cottony pith in any application can give an undesirable bitterness. I would have preferred just a touch of sugar or similar sweetener to round out/mute the bitterness I detected.

I'm glad I tried it but I'm not sure if I'd buy the tee shirt. (806 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Burnished gold body with a very abundant head of white foam. The beer is slightly hazy and has lots of visible carbonation. Lacing is great, leaving rings on the glass.

S: It has a rather light nose. I pick up some grapefruit rind and pine.

T: I get a good deal of raw bitterness without a lot of flavor. It's like eating the rind of a citrus fruit without the fresh taste of the fruit itself. It's just bitterness without any complementary flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is nice and dry, but the palate is overwhelmed with an unpleasant astringency and nothing but bitterness to hopelessly cope with.

O: Overall the beer lacked in flavor and originality. It had plenty of bitterness without any malt or hop flavor to reinforce it. Unfortunately I can not recommend this beer. (778 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle.

Pours a light clear golden amber with a tight dense stale cream colored head supported by a steady stream of bubbles. Thick webs of lace and good retention. Smells like rubbing alcohol and pine scented cleaning fluid. Sweet malty and bready body with lemon/grapefruit rind finish, bitterness clashing with the sweetness. Slight rubber, stale bread and heat on finish. Not good. (392 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

650ml bottle poured into a Stone Etched Shaker Pint.

The beer pours a very clear copper color, hues of gold and orange with a firm finger or so of white head that has poor retention and doesn't yield much lace. The aroma is bitter, super bitter, lots of grapefruit peel, earthy and fleshy, not much in the way of the citrusy and fruit flavor with some strong pine and a heft malt presence at the finish. I don't really know what I expected, but what I got was one dimensionally bitter and uninspiring. The flavors are just as bland, intense bitter grapefruit peel, earthy and dirtier than the nose, pine, some grassy and dirty earthy flavors with strong malts and alcohol that heightens the one dimensional feeling of this beer, bitter. The body is crisp, but smooth, carbonation is right where it should be with a nice coating texture that finishes easily with a dry kick that isn't too over the top.

Verdict: A big miss from Stone, bitter and boring. The grapefruit peel is showcased, but that's about all that there is, no delicacy, no brightness, just overpowering bitterness, punishing alcohol flavors and dominating earthy flavors. What set out to be one of the more thoughtful beers from Stone ended up being perhaps their least inspired and predictably dull beers to date. (1,282 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -29%

A - Deep orange gold. White head pours about a finger high with nice retention and ok lace.

S - Woody bitters, wet plants, and a soft grapefruit citrus.

T - Bold citrus pith and bitter resin overwhelms the brew. The wet plant note from the nose comes through in the taste, and detracts from the quality of the bitterness and the otherwise really nice caramel, honey, and white raisin backdrop. Sharp bitter citrus finish.

M - Smooth, medium-full body, but a lack of carbonation and a raw resin feel detract from the rest of the beer.

O - The grapefruit rind adds more raw bitterness than flavor character. Poor balance and integration. (639 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I was really excited to see this on tap, appearance - great, looks slightly hazy but overall very appetizing. Nose- expecting to get punched with grapefruit/citrus but not here. Does show some fruit but not what you would expect. Taste- Holy grapefruit! For me it's over the top and not balanced. Has a nice mouthfeel and finishes dry but really disapointed overall. This beer = sucking on a very bitter grapefruit rind while drinking an IPA. Won't get again. (459 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was very excited about this beer, but it didn't really match my expectations. With that said, it's still a fine beer, but I don't think it's anything special. I wish it had a richer flavor. Since the beer has grapefruit added, I was expecting either a refreshing, citrus-heavy beer that would complement an outdoor BBQ well, or a smooth, blended hoppy beer a la the Pliny series. Instead, the beer fell somewhere in the middle: you get a quick hint of grapefruit, but your taste buds are quickly overcome by the hoppiness of a traditional, albeit weaker, Stone beer. I was hoping for a blended aftertaste, but instead of an ideal marriage between sweet and bitter that could yield a smooth and satisfying finish, the two flavors don't overlap as much as I would have liked and the finish falls flat. Take my review with a grain of salt though because despite enjoying a lot of hoppy beers, I generally am not into Stone beers as much as the next guy. (952 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Golden to bronze in color with a fluffy head. The aroma does indeed bring some grapefruit, as well as citrus peel, pine, resin, alcohol. The flavor is just meh. A mediocre offering. Not even in the same ballpark as the Stone Enjoy By series. Muddled and boozy. Citric and harsh on the palate. Notes of cleaning solution and chemicals. The title was alluring, but this beer didn't deliver the goods for me. (405 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet.

A: Almost clear, light amber color with one finger of diminishing white foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: Faint overall, with biscuit and floral qualities. No yeast metabolite influences are detectable, nor is any alcohol.

T: Begins off-dry, with simplistic piney and lemon peel hops aromatics and refined pale malt. Acidity is high into the middle where precocious bitterness rapidly replaces aromatic flavors. The finish is piney-herbal and strongly bitter. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium to thick viscosity, resinous and slightly acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This IPA is a tame contribution to the style, positioned deep in the second tier of recipes despite its inclusion of grapefruit citrus fruit. The actual citrus fruit is practically undetectable in the final product, which is malty and unafffected with a hops profile seemingly borrowed from a decade ago. Other than its relatively high gravity (technically a double IPA, although it does not drink as one) it is indistinguishable from something generic like a New Belgium Ranger IPA. Despite relatively potent bitterness, this beer is an easy drinker. (1,201 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20%

Pale yellow gold body, topped by six fingers of big bubbly snow white foam. Thorough lacing.

Citrus aroma, pleasant and inviting but somewhat low key.

Light and very sweet beginning. Splash of mixed juicy fruit. Very bitter bite at the swallow. Big punch of grapefruit in the finish, puckering the mouth in the afterglow.

Medium plus mouthfeel.

Grapefruit is not my favorite citrus, and it is overpowering here. Not saying it's a bad beer, but it's not for me. Can we try this with oranges? (494 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It did taste as advertised, straight grapefruit. I did not just have a hint of grapefruit it was all grapefruit rind with super subtle hops. I was not impressed with this beer.
It almost reminded me of a slightly stronger hansen's grapefruit soda.
The positives were the color was great and had a nice head. That's where the positives end however. I was not expecting such an overbearing flavor of grapefruit peel and that's really all it succeeded at. I wanted to like it, it just never happened. A few tweaks to the recipe may salvage this beer. (548 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured a great golden, hazy body, 2 finger head, nice lacing. Smelled like it says, grapefruit, big malt presence in this one, bready at times, but for the most part the smell was citrus and pine. Taste wasn't as great as the nose, very 1 dimensional in terms of the hop profile. Mouthfeel was medium body. Overall, I wouldn't have this one again. I'm under the impression that anything Stone involved will have people automatically sucking their d*icks for reviews. This was a good beer, but not worth the price or flavor. This was okay. (538 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazy yellow gold color with a 1 finger creamy looking off white head that faded on the average to slow side from a timing standpoint, leaving very good foamy lacing coating the sides and rings as it went down.

Smells of strong grapefruit pith up front, followed by citrus hops, lemon zest, light caramel, piney hops, citrus fruit and some mild spices. The grapefruit dominates and there is no real malt backbone present to give it balance.

Bitter up front, this tastes like grapefruit juice and has the same effect after the first sip. Tastes like a red grapefruit first, followed by citrus hops, lemon, tangerine, herbs, floral hops, light caramel, piney hops, mild spices like pepper and coriander, biscuit and tea leaf. If the goal was to make an IPA so bitter that it drowned out the ABV and malt content then this is a success, otherwise this experiment is too bitter and just didn’t do it for me. It tastes incredibly close to grapefruit juice thanks to the grapefruit peel added, but the lack of balance makes it not smooth and to me negated most of the normally tasty Centennial hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is thick and almost chewy, with light zesty carbonation, a sweet malty cracker taste that then gets washed away with grapefruit bitterness that leads to a puckering finish and almost clean aftertaste that has more grapefruit assaulting your palate.

Over the top, unbalanced and not the DIPA I hoped it would be, this missed the mark for me. I appreciate the experiment and effort on Stone’s part, but I would not have this beer again; it was just too bitter for me and I had to make an effort to finish the bomber. It does mask the ABV completely, but the bitterness trade off isn’t worth it in my opinion. (1,737 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%

A: gold in color. Whispy white head. Nice crown and legs.

S: lots of grapefruit.

T: somewhat chalky and not that crisp of a grapefruit flavor as I had been hoping for. Moderate bitterness. Not much malt balance

M: too thick for my liking.

O: okay but underwhelming. (269 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15.6%

22 oz. bottle purchased at Cleveland Park Wine and Liquors in NW D.C., unknown bottling date but definitely recent, poured into my FFF Teku glass and drank while reviewing over an hour.

A - 3/3 - typical Stone DIPA here - amber- brown coloration, crystal clear on pouring from the bottle with a frothy white one finger head that settles into a subtle glass lacing after several minutes; moderate alcohol legs; carbonation reagutates on the swirl

S: 8/12 - lots of classic PW hop aromas - grapefruit, tangerine, piney, floral - but overall more muted than other Stone DIPAs like 'Enjoy By;" more detectable malt character on the nose than other Stone IPAs

T: 11/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's a huge slap bitterness that took me aback at first likely provided by the grapefruit peel and not the hops - to my taste buds. it was an astringency that I found unpleasant; in the middle of the mouth, the bitterness continues to oppress but there is a citrus and piney (but not dank) qualities that becomes more inviting; finishes super dry with little malt and alcohol detectable on my palate, which invites subsequent sips; unfortunately, the bitterness lingers well beyond the sip

M: 2/5 - moderate body, little hop oils coating the tongue but not a big mouth presence from either the hops or the alcohol

O: 6/10 - I'll go out on a limb here and offer this as maybe the worst Stone DIPA for me; it reminds me of IPA recipes of old in the pre-tropical hop days - that huge slap of bitterness is one of the major reasons that I didn't like IPAs at first, and still don't like grapefruit to this day; if you like bitter IPAs like Victory's Hop Wallop or Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid; you'll enjoy this but I'm close to drain pouring it and drinking my own all-Citra APA as a palate restorer

TOTAL - 28/50 (1,803 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

From a bottle into a tulip glass

Nice golden color with a good fruity smell. That's where the fun ends. The taste is nothing but grapefruit pithy peel. I don't get anything but bitterness from the rind. I barely even get any hoppy flavor. Pretty unimpressed. Nicely carbonated. Just wish it would have been more balanced with grapefruit peel and hops. Its very one-sided. Won't visit again. (391 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: golden orange. fairly clear

S: lots of bitter grapefruit, some pine, grass. lemon peel

T: bitter lemon peel. grapefruit pith, resin

F: medium plus carbonation

O: This one didnt do it for me. Felt the balance was way off and not in a good way. (249 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Faded burnt orange body, cream colored head that calms to a bubbly film. Light lines of lacing.

Aroma: Massive citrus, grapefruit, a glue aroma, citrus rind.

Taste: So bitter I pucker. Grapefruit juice, pine, hops.

Mouthfeel: Really thin and hot. Boozy.

Overall: It's so bitter that I can't enjoy it. I feel like I'm drinking glue. (371 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance - a cloudy golden pour, two to three fingers of white foam. Big bubbles in the middle, lots of dotty lace around the glass.

Aroma - yeah, some citrusy aromas for sure, tart grapefruit but not as intense as I'd expected. Good resilience though.

Taste - brief sweet malts, covered quickly by the bitter hops. More grapefruit rind flavor than the actual fruit, bending this more to the bitter side. Slightly better balance as it warms. Pretty decent grapefruit representation. A dry finish without going too bitter at the end, and a rather nice warming.

Mouthfeel - somewhat weighty, medium carbonation, good smooth feel.

Overall - my only real comparison flavor-wise is two brothers sidekick, which I think represents grapefruit flavor better in a lighter brew. Glad I tried it but I like sidekick better. (818 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Had this one at Alewife in Baltimore. From notes.

A - Nice golden pour with mild carbonation. Bright. Two fingers of dense, fluffy white head left great lace rings and a film of retention.

S - Grapefruity citrus notes. Something also reminded me of grapefruit seeds.

T - Lot's of pith. Grapefruit very obvious, sweet fruits.

M - Pithy bitterness was strong with a medium body and medium carbonation. The bitterness wasn't my style.

O/D - Not a bad beer, but not my thing. The grapefruit element was just far too strong and I couldn't really get past it. Not a flaw, just not my scene. (589 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

A relatively clear, golden hued ale bursting with sweet hop smells of pine and citrus.
The taste is pure hops! The grapefruit flavor is light. The aftertaste is pungent with alcohol and juniper, almost gin like. The mouth-feel is dry with a resin stickiness, hops at its best.
Overall this IPA is bursting with flavor and aroma. The grapefruit is a little too subtle and lost among the herbal hop bitterness. I am not quite sure what was trying to be accomplished here as some hops already contribute flavors of citrus/grapefruit.

Suggested Movie Pairing; Snatch - A fast paced in you face endeavor, with fast changing scenery and plot points. If you don't pay close attention you could lose the subtle nuances. (714 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sugary bready malts and tropical fruit / grapefruit.

The flavor is a little sweet fruity bready malt followed by a pretty big resiny bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall, a nice IPA, but not as good as I thought it sounded. (388 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not really a repeat buyer of this ale. The flavor was not as much as grapefruit but of watermellon with a very bitter twist. Good flavor, but not to my liking. (161 characters)

Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA from Stone Brewing Co.