Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPAStochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Sweffin on 08-23-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,921 | Reviews: 288

1.5/5  rDev -62.2%

2.14/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I don't review beers. However, I feel compelled to prepare you for what you are about to experience. It is awful! I was genuinely looking forward to this. You know that back-of-the-throat taste you have after puking? This is it. Imagine taking a bite of the rind of a grapefruit and then grabbing an IPA to cleanse your tastebuds of that terrible, lingering taste only to discover that it's no help.

I will say that it poured a beautiful ruby/orange color with an inch of pillowy head. On the nose, I got not so subtle hints of, you guessed it, grapefruit. Oh, and a pine tree.

After an 8 oz pour from a 22 oz bomber I drain poured this with confidence and woke up the next morning with a horrible, puckering astringent taste in my mouth. Proceed with caution.

2.5/5  rDev -37%

This beer was not my cup of tea. It was too fruity for my tastes.

2.55/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The name is indeed "Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA," not "Stochast...India Pale Ale." So props so whomever added this correctly. Bottled 01/29/illegible. (I assume 01/29/14). 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label print and unbranded black pry-off pressure cap acquired at me local H-E-B grocery a couple hours ago and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the brewery. Reviewed as an IPA since the label and description clearly identify it as such.

Served cold - at fridge temp. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a three finger wide head of very pale khaki colour. Okay creaminess, thickness, and frothiness. Okay complexion and consistency. Head retention is good - about 7-8 minutes. Leaves spotty inconsistent lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a transparent translucent copper of very good clarity and average vibrance. Clean; there's no visible yeast sediment or anything. Appears well-carbonated.

Overall, this is predictable standard fare for an IPA. Far from unique or special.

Sm: Soapy - I think this spent too long in primary. Bubblegum. Fresh citrus peel. Grapefruit. Faint pine. Floral hops. Fruity. Fairly resinous, but not real oily or nectary (much to my disappointment). The fresh citrus peel notes are a definite highlight for me personally, but the unwelcome bubblegum seems to drown the finer notes out. Maltwise, it's got a sweet bready undertone with plenty of pale malts and caramalts. Surprisingly, if anything it seems too sweet, not too bitter; did Stone brew this? I'm shocked they seem to have brewed an IPA without unnecessarily overaggressive hop bitterness.

Overall, this is a fairly pleasant clean aroma of mild strength, though it does seem too sweet and the bubblegum is unappealing.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

Mf/T: Okay, right up front it's obvious this is too dry and pithy. It also comes off a bit stale and rough - which is disastrous for an IPA. Wow, this mouthfeel is poorly executed. Overcarbonated, soapy, and medium bodied. Slightly oily. A biteen coarse. Horrid presence on the palate. This is a poor texture for a beer in this style. I'd almost prefer a watery beer to this. Ugh. It just scrapes the tongue.

Not gushed, hot, boozy, harsh, or astringent. There is some tolerable alcohol warmth.

Soapy detergent dominates the flavour profile; this definitely spent way too long in primary. The backbone of the beer is a weak pale malt/caramalt core. I pick up on faint hints of graham cracker as well. Once you get past the soapiness, you're confronted with poorly integrated bubblegum tones. The pleasant citrus peel from the aroma becomes a bitter raw nightmare in the taste, and the grapefruit character is poorly executed. It doesn't quite have the bite of most grapefruit-based IPAs, but it has all of the pithy rindy bitterness. As a result, this flavour profile is soapy and off-putting throughout, but too sweet and bready up front and too bitter on the backend. Obviously, the imbalance is extreme. As it warms, I pick up on that stale orange juice note I always despise in IPAs - a note which lingers on the aftertaste along with the pithy bitterness. Ugh.

No yeast character comes through.

Lacks subtlety, complexity, intricacy, and nuance. The build lacks cohesion. Not a gestalt flavour profile by any means. Below average depth and duration of flavour. Average intensity of flavour. I'm having trouble liking this.

If the off notes don't get to you, the wretched imbalance will. I applaud the experimentation, but frankly this shouldn't have made it to market.

Dr: I swear I approach my reviews of Stone's beers with an open mind, but it sometimes seems like their hop choices and approach to brewing IPAs is just diametrically opposed to my personal tastes. This is absolutely not a beer I'd recommend to friends and not a beer I'd consider buying again. I'll finish this bottle without too much trouble - it's surprisingly drinkable in spite of its many flaws - but boy is this a sad attempt at an IPA. It's the kind of failure at brewing an IPA only Stone (and Green Flash) is (are) capable of. To all those who love this, I wish I was one of you. But unfortunately it's really not doing it for me. Not Stone's finest work, but then it's not a collaboration beer.

Surprisingly, it does get better (less bad?) as it warms. The bitterness becomes less obnoxious and the stale orange juice note picks up a little.

I'm surprised Stone has gone with this sneaky labeling approach. "Koochenvagner's Brewing Co" indeed. I tend to view Stone as a marketing company that happens to manufacture beer, but this marketing decision is somewhat confounding.

Low C-

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA from Stone Brewing Co.