Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPAStochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Sweffin on 08-23-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 291 | Hads: 1,954
2.74/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Burnished gold body with a very abundant head of white foam. The beer is slightly hazy and has lots of visible carbonation. Lacing is great, leaving rings on the glass.

S: It has a rather light nose. I pick up some grapefruit rind and pine.

T: I get a good deal of raw bitterness without a lot of flavor. It's like eating the rind of a citrus fruit without the fresh taste of the fruit itself. It's just bitterness without any complementary flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is nice and dry, but the palate is overwhelmed with an unpleasant astringency and nothing but bitterness to hopelessly cope with.

O: Overall the beer lacked in flavor and originality. It had plenty of bitterness without any malt or hop flavor to reinforce it. Unfortunately I can not recommend this beer.

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Swirling soft orange against a decently carbonated clear golden. Quickly vanishing head and very little lacing.

S: Smells like a Stone beer (hop-forward, jungle-deep) mixed with a sweet undertone of grapefruit and clementine-citrus.

T: After reading the reviews of this beer that compliment its strong grapefruit flavor, I was a little surprised. The flavor was there, but it was way more subtle than I was expecting. At no point did I feel "slammed" by grapefruit. It was a refreshing and unique addition to Stone's usual IPA, but not prominent enough in my opinion. That said, the expectation in my head not being met didn't diminish the quality of the beer. A strong IPA overall, and the added fruit flavors made it unique. I just felt like it could have been astounding.

M: Hop as a vehicle for greater nuance. The tastes I mentioned surfaced upon lingering. Stone always gets it right in this regard. The fruit flavors masked the ABV, somewhat.

O: Very very good, but not the grapefruit IPA experience I was expecting. My expectations from Stone are pretty high, so that might have colored my review a little. I'm not sure if I would buy it again, but that's only because I like other Stone products much better.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a light orange with a two finger off white head. Retention is decent, leaving a good amount of lace. Perfectly clear.
S- Grapefruit is big and bold, though I am getting almost as much herbal hop aroma as grapefruit. Can tell this one will be bitter.
T- Grapefruit wins the day, though there is a lingering herbal flavor which, though not unwelcome, is unexpected. Grapefruit citric bitterness definitely is the powerhouse in the finish. The slight bit of sweetness up front is gone by midsip.
M- Medium bodied, not as dry of a finish as many IPA's.
O- I like this beer, and it's flavors, but it is a tiresome beer. Definitely worth the try, but would have been fine with a twelve ounce or a pint.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazy yellow gold color with a 1 finger creamy looking off white head that faded on the average to slow side from a timing standpoint, leaving very good foamy lacing coating the sides and rings as it went down.

Smells of strong grapefruit pith up front, followed by citrus hops, lemon zest, light caramel, piney hops, citrus fruit and some mild spices. The grapefruit dominates and there is no real malt backbone present to give it balance.

Bitter up front, this tastes like grapefruit juice and has the same effect after the first sip. Tastes like a red grapefruit first, followed by citrus hops, lemon, tangerine, herbs, floral hops, light caramel, piney hops, mild spices like pepper and coriander, biscuit and tea leaf. If the goal was to make an IPA so bitter that it drowned out the ABV and malt content then this is a success, otherwise this experiment is too bitter and just didn’t do it for me. It tastes incredibly close to grapefruit juice thanks to the grapefruit peel added, but the lack of balance makes it not smooth and to me negated most of the normally tasty Centennial hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is thick and almost chewy, with light zesty carbonation, a sweet malty cracker taste that then gets washed away with grapefruit bitterness that leads to a puckering finish and almost clean aftertaste that has more grapefruit assaulting your palate.

Over the top, unbalanced and not the DIPA I hoped it would be, this missed the mark for me. I appreciate the experiment and effort on Stone’s part, but I would not have this beer again; it was just too bitter for me and I had to make an effort to finish the bomber. It does mask the ABV completely, but the bitterness trade off isn’t worth it in my opinion.

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a goblet. Color was a dark golden amber with several stream of carbonation rising from the bottom. Very thin head with some lacings, and a tad of cling. Aroma was a slightly citrus tang, not at all hoppy. Flavor hit with a hoppy piney zing up front, but had a hint of bitter grapefruit in the backend. As it sat the flavor changed and shifted a bit, mostly in terms of when the flavors hit. Felt great in the mouth. Nice coating, proper tingle from the carbonation. Overall, not bad, a different take on the flavor profile.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an incredible beer....I bought it at first sight (2 bombers for $6.99 each), because I am obsessed with grapefruit, and therefore centennial hopped ipa's in general.

To be honest, I'm slightly disappointed with this beer only because there isn't enough grapefruit peel in it...I bought it thinking "Finally, A beer with so much b-myrcene and d-limonene that I will make an awkward face after ever sip, and then love every minute of it.

What I got was a somewhat average tasting IPA. And by average, I only mean that these flavors can all be found in other beers. It is definitely a delicious, well-rounded brew. I was just expecting a more aggressive usage of the grapefruit peel.

As my rating suggests, I would still highly recommend this beer to everybody. It is excellent, as are all of Stone's beers. It just didn't live up to the "grapefruit slam" name that it was given. I was expecting to get on here and rate this beer 5/5, because I have been looking for a beer heavy in terpenes such as myrcene and limonene, so heavy that I will almost gag at the flavor capacity. Instead, i tasted a brew that is quite good, in my top 20 of all time probably, but not what I expected it to be.

I would prefer a more aggressive profile, especially with the name "grapefruit slam"....It was more like a "grapefruit acknowledgement".

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottled 1/23/14.

a: Clear amber with a finger thick white head which receded to thin surface foam and spotty lacing.

s: Intense citrus.

t: Pretty intense grapefruity sour citrus up front over medium malt base. Bitterness lingers somewhat on the sides of the tongue. Bitter finish.

m: Medium with good body.

o: This one delivers the promised grapefruit slam nicely. Quite tasty and fulfilling. I'd pay $3 for a 12 oz. bottle, but probably not over $8 again for less than double that amount. But then it may be a onetime offering, with more Stochasticity project entries to come. However, if GS becomes a regular part of the Stone lineup at a more reasonable sipping price, I'd definitely consider it in the running with most premium DIPAs.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap to a tulip glass. Golden amber in color, with a nice rich head. Some traces of lacing. Smell is not over the top, but I'm getting some hints of citrus for sure. Taste is awesome. Mellows as it warms up, fantastic citrus and grapefruit pop. Really love the aftertaste of grapefruit. It adds something different for sure. Mouthfeel is on point. Nice resinous coating on the tongue. Overall, different but very enjoyable. Try it!

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into an Upland pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy gold with a half-finger of white head and fairly low visible carbonation.

S: Citrus rind and milder resin hops with bready malt. Not complex, but not bad.

T: Grapefruit rind, lightly toasted malt with moderate caramel flavor, resinous and a touch of spice hops. Malt sweetness with grapefruit rind at the swallow, but ultimately on the hang cedes to the bitter grapefruit. As the beer warms during the drink, the fruity aspect of the grapefruit increases and the caramel aspect to the malt decreases - definitely a bit of an improvement.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable but not hot.

O: Pretty good, but predominated by the citrus bitterness, rather than the juicy fruitiness of the grapefruit itself. Pretty tasty, but I won't go looking for another one.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was very excited about this beer, but it didn't really match my expectations. With that said, it's still a fine beer, but I don't think it's anything special. I wish it had a richer flavor. Since the beer has grapefruit added, I was expecting either a refreshing, citrus-heavy beer that would complement an outdoor BBQ well, or a smooth, blended hoppy beer a la the Pliny series. Instead, the beer fell somewhere in the middle: you get a quick hint of grapefruit, but your taste buds are quickly overcome by the hoppiness of a traditional, albeit weaker, Stone beer. I was hoping for a blended aftertaste, but instead of an ideal marriage between sweet and bitter that could yield a smooth and satisfying finish, the two flavors don't overlap as much as I would have liked and the finish falls flat. Take my review with a grain of salt though because despite enjoying a lot of hoppy beers, I generally am not into Stone beers as much as the next guy.

4.13/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a great beer! Pours a nice golden color with a little haze. Could immediately get the hops aroma with plenty of citrus. Nice head with some good lacing on the glass. Drinking is easy with a very refreshing taste, especially for a DIPA. The grapefruit flavor is unmistakable and really enhances the citrus flavor of the hops. Great to have a DIPA with a "twist" that really works. Wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

on tap @ red cow
A-pours a clear golden color with a nice full head some lacing very fresh looking
S-grapefruit rind citrus earthy spices with bread and malt
T- citrus peel and grapefruit up front with some fruity hops i get sweet caramel and spices
M-medium carbonation with lots of fruity flavors
O-great on tap easy to drink grapefruit did not overpower this

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: golden color, alittle cloudy looking. finger worth of head.
S: grapefruit, citrus, alittle piney. grapefruity and citrus comes through alot
T: Tastes alot of grapefruit juice, also very sweet. bitter on the end. Kinda like alcoholic version of grapefruit juice
M: medium bodies id say, nothing to complain
O: interesting beer, i kinda like the grape-fruitiness of it alot. I hope they do it again next year

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Paid $8.99 a bottle not too bad since most stone DIPA's around 10 a bomber. Into a pint glass.

A - Its plenty carbonated giving me a full inch of head and great sticky lacing. Color is a bit light for a DIPA a very bright orange yellow color.
S - It does smell pretty stellar bright grapefruit hops and citrus zest. Doesn't smell as strong as I hoped but it could be I have a slight cold. No rough malts or ethanol smells so it does smell balanced.
T - Very juicy IPA in the front, sweeter malts in the middle, and a dry clinging herbal bite in the finish from that grapefruit peel. As simple as it is it's pretty damn good drinking almost as good as Ruination but a slight ABV increment. Very good stuff.
M - Super balanced for 8% drinking light to medium in body. Easy drinkin.

Overall for the price and the fact its a limited release I was glad to try it but couldn't see getting another bottle. A very smooth DIPA though.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a bomber into a standard Pint glass, wonderful golden color with a 2 1/2 finger cloud like white head that left thick lace as I drank it down. The aroma held grapefruit pith and peel with a strange sweetness...almost candy like. I really enjoyed the taste on this one, the tangy pith comes out and is followed by the peel with a hops backing that brings this all together so well....a good balance for sure. Mouthfeel was what a DIPA is most times, medium to thick....thick on the back end and it worked well, it allows the taste buds to enjoy the flavor first before it gets thick and tangy at the end. Overall I enjoyed this beer and it showed once again that a DIPA can be more than a hop bomb...don't get me wrong I love a hop bomb now and again but I like to taste beers like this as well.

3.32/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It did taste as advertised, straight grapefruit. I did not just have a hint of grapefruit it was all grapefruit rind with super subtle hops. I was not impressed with this beer.
It almost reminded me of a slightly stronger hansen's grapefruit soda.
The positives were the color was great and had a nice head. That's where the positives end however. I was not expecting such an overbearing flavor of grapefruit peel and that's really all it succeeded at. I wanted to like it, it just never happened. A few tweaks to the recipe may salvage this beer.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Polygamy Porter pint glass
From: 55 Degree Wine in Glendale, Calif.
Price: $7.99
Purchased: March 28, 2014
Consumed: March 29, 2014
Misc.: Bottled on Jan. 23, 2014

Poured a honey, orange, semi-hazy color with three fingers of frothy off-white head. Lots of foamy layered lacing on the sides of the glass. Good retention all the way down.

Smelled wet cascade hops, pine, soap, bitterness, grapefruit rind, citrus spicy hops, pepper, slight cigarette and light floral hops. Tough to find overall though.

Tasted wet cascade hops, pine, soap, very bitter, buttery notes, grapefruit rind, bitter grapefruit, citrus hops and some floral notes.

Light-to-medium body. Creamy texture. Average-to-lively carbonation. Long, bitter finish.

I was pretty disappointed with this beer overall. I probably even overrated this one.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

a. Clear golden color with a 1 inch head poured from a bottle.

s. Pine and bitter grapefruit citrus, as advertised.

t. Surprisingly not as heavy on the grapefruit as I expected. Nice use of the grapefruit flavor, not overpowering.

m. plenty of carbonation.

o. An outstanding beer. Would purchase again if I can find it.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: The beer is slightly hazy amber yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of grapefruit and grapefruit peels are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of grapefruit citrus from the hops but there almost seems to be nearly an equal amount of grapefruit zest, the latter of which stands out in the finish. There is a moderate to high amount of bitterness and this persists through the finish. Only slight traces of alcohol are perceptible.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: As advertised, the aromas and flavors of this beer are all about grapefruit, although the addition of grapefruit peel seems to mellow things out about and not make this as tangy as you would expect.

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Clear amber, pours a thick 2 finger white head. Fades slowly and leaves thick lacing.

S - Grapefruit, spicy earthy hops, caramel.

T - Sweeter up front than I expected, maybe that's the grapefruit, then some of those spicy hops. Not getting too much pine, so these Chinook are leaning more towards the spice which compliments the grapefruit.

M - Medium body, medium carb. Drying afterwards, leaves some bitterness.

O - I was really excited to try this one, but alas it's just not for me. It's a very good beer, but not something I'd seek out again. This was bottled in January, so maybe a fresher bottle would've been better.

4.11/5  rDev +2.5%

22oz bottle, better price of $5.99, but I've seen it for as much as $8.99, which is a little steep for my liking
L - amber with a tall, frothy off-white head that holds good retention as it leaves lacing down the glass. Some particulates, especially toward the bottom of the bomber - not sure if it's yeast or grapefruit peel (looked more like peel)
S - juicy, citric, and, fruity. Caramel, grain, spicy and piny hops also
T - pungent and bitter with some caramely sweetness trying to hold up some sort of backbone. Toasted grain, grapefruity hops and actual grapefruit with piny and spicy hops mixed in there
F - medium, resinous, lingering pungency, astringent finish
O - unique and good! I dig it.

a - poured a one finger thick tan head into a snifter that left good lacing and sheeting throughout. the body was a bright orange-golden color.
s - big grapefruit and bready aromas.
t - same as the aroma. grapefruit just dominates but it's not overwhelming. well done.
m - medium and coating.
o - grapefruit can be a tough one to brew with but stone hit the right amount of it in this beer.

2.87/5  rDev -28.4%

A - Deep orange gold. White head pours about a finger high with nice retention and ok lace.

S - Woody bitters, wet plants, and a soft grapefruit citrus.

T - Bold citrus pith and bitter resin overwhelms the brew. The wet plant note from the nose comes through in the taste, and detracts from the quality of the bitterness and the otherwise really nice caramel, honey, and white raisin backdrop. Sharp bitter citrus finish.

M - Smooth, medium-full body, but a lack of carbonation and a raw resin feel detract from the rest of the beer.

O - The grapefruit rind adds more raw bitterness than flavor character. Poor balance and integration.

3.47/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

A relatively clear, golden hued ale bursting with sweet hop smells of pine and citrus.
The taste is pure hops! The grapefruit flavor is light. The aftertaste is pungent with alcohol and juniper, almost gin like. The mouth-feel is dry with a resin stickiness, hops at its best.
Overall this IPA is bursting with flavor and aroma. The grapefruit is a little too subtle and lost among the herbal hop bitterness. I am not quite sure what was trying to be accomplished here as some hops already contribute flavors of citrus/grapefruit.

Suggested Movie Pairing; Snatch - A fast paced in you face endeavor, with fast changing scenery and plot points. If you don't pay close attention you could lose the subtle nuances.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a clear glass snifter. Bottled on 1/30/14 on bottleneck. Purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Fruity orange with solid 1-finger white head with decent retention and a solid smattering of lacing.

S: Muted citrus grapefruit aroma, more like the peel and pith than the meat, with floral and honeysuckle hops notes but a stronger than expected medium caramel malt contribution. No yeast or alcohol contributions.

T: The flavor is also surprisingly strong on caramel malt character, usually not an issue for Stone beers. The hopping/fruiting is heavy on grapefruit citrus but doesn't quite hit the highly bitter level, and the pithy nature of the flavor increases the vegetative side and misses out on the fruity side. There is no yeast or alcohol notes. Bitterness is moderate to high.

M: Very easy to drink despite the high bitterness. Body is medium with medium carbonation. Low-to-no alcohol feature also helps.

O: Good beer but not up to the level of Enjoy By or most top-tier DIPAs by a long shot. I know that it is not supposed to be the same, but they are not really even close. The pithy nature of the grapefruit ups the bitterness with really little to no flavor benefit. One and done for me.

Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam IPA from Stone Brewing Co.