10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  9.60% ABV

When Meagan Parisi and Stone brewmaster Mitch Steele decided to collaborate, it was essential that they tap a special individual to complete their triad of fermentation domination, and they found just that in Tonya Cornett, the brewmaster at Bend, Oregon's 10 Barrel Brewing Company. Together, they decided on a sturdy yet velvety base of imperial porter and developed a plan to celebrate the bounty of the environs in which it was produced by harvesting avocado honey, jasmine and calendula flowers (some from our very own Stone Farms) and infusing them into the beer to create something complex and uniquely Southern Californian. Consider it craft cross-pollination at its finest.

(Beer added by: azdback on 09-27-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter Alström Bros

HopSavant, Jul 03, 2014
1.15/5  rDev -70%

A - The beer looks like it has potential. It's nice and dark, leaves nice lacing, and has a nice 1 finger head.

S - This is where it all goes horribly wrong. It smells like some nasty perfume. It's atrocious.

T - I've never done this before, but I took a sip and upon tasting the "flavor," I immediately spit it back in my glass and rinsed my mouth out several times. It was not infected. I've had infected beers that are significantly better than this.

M - It wasn't in my mouth long enough to notice a mouthfeel.

O - This beer is atrocious. There is not 1 beer I've ever had that I would prefer less than this. Do not buy this. I don't know where these decent ratings are coming from. It is SO BAD. I know it sounds like I'm being dramatic, but I'm dead serious. I'd rather drink Natural Ice any day by far, honestly.

nrs207, Oct 16, 2013
1.28/5  rDev -66.6%

This beer sucked. I don't see how they went so wrong with it, or how it deserves a "very good" rating. It somehow manages to be thin with zero head despite being nearly 10% ABV. That's a lot of wasted malt, but it wouldn't surprise me if they dumped a bunch of sugar in too. It has no body, very little aroma of anything, Guinness-like at best aroma-wise. Rather like a BIPA without hops. I don't get any of the spices it claims to have. I'm not finishing this. It's not that it's undrinkable, it's just that the bomber has got to be 500 calories and it's not worth it. Suede, meet drain. I honestly would have been happier with a Budweiser.

Bottlebomber, Oct 27, 2013
1.69/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Chilled 22 oz. bomber into shaker pints. 2013 collaboration, no other decipherable date info to be found.

Look- Deep brown with touch of orange-red. Pours with a substantial (three+ finger)
khaki head that falls slowly to a few mm of foam that persists. Nice curtains, lacing spotty.

Smell- Smells overwhelmingly medicinal, sweet, with just a hint of roastiness in the background. Flowery is one thing, but this smells like old lady perfume and sweet tarts.

Taste- Hmm. Grape-y flavor that reminds me almost instantly of cough syrup, rolls over into milk chocolate and sweet tarts. Decent herbal bittering on the finish, although the aftertaste is impaired by the lingering throat drop flavor. This is pretty bad.

Mouthfeel- Medium-bodied, thinner than expected for ~10%, smooth, moderate carbonation. Astringent, almost metallic finish with a bit of stickiness after the fact, coats the palate.

Overall- Well, maybe jasmine's not my thing-don't really know, but this is just a fail in every category. I didn't pour it out, so it's got that going for it. I've had a couple weird spiced beers lately, and while coconut curry also isn't my thing, that product was drinkable, even respectable. Every aspect of this beer, on the other hand, is moderately to severely off-putting, and I'm bummed that I dropped $8 on the bottle and waited for a special occasion to split it. At least I didn't have to finish the whole thing- the girlfriend said the malt wasn't robust enough to balance it out. Stone shouldn't have put their name on this- some collaborations just don't need to exist. Avoid.

Lawl3ss, Nov 17, 2013

bootdown21, Oct 13, 2013

fellowrs, Jan 06, 2014

dheldman, Oct 09, 2014
2.79/5  rDev -27.2%

Unfortunately, Suede is an entirely too apropos name for a beer that smells primarily of Hugo Boss cologne and leaves the same inappropriate bitterness on the palate as most Friends reruns. How do you make a beer taste like 1997? I don't know, but clearly Stone does.

QuentinCall, Nov 06, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

rubberarm21, Sep 28, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

Dark cola brown pour with a pocked coffee ice cream colored head. Smells like sugary black jelly bean exterior and honey. Tastes chock full o'heavy honey. Much sweeter than roasty.

Sweet and eh. Reminds me of DFH, not sure if it's because it's similar a messier, monotone Bitch's Brew (the dark malt and sweet honey really makes it comparable in my mind) or because it's overly sweet, blah and expensive - which is DFH to me.

Other than this I can't remember the last time I had a Stone I didn't like.

donkeyrunner, Feb 08, 2014
10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter from Stone Brewing Co.