10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter - Stone Brewing Co.

10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  9.60% ABV

When Meagan Parisi and Stone brewmaster Mitch Steele decided to collaborate, it was essential that they tap a special individual to complete their triad of fermentation domination, and they found just that in Tonya Cornett, the brewmaster at Bend, Oregon's 10 Barrel Brewing Company. Together, they decided on a sturdy yet velvety base of imperial porter and developed a plan to celebrate the bounty of the environs in which it was produced by harvesting avocado honey, jasmine and calendula flowers (some from our very own Stone Farms) and infusing them into the beer to create something complex and uniquely Southern Californian. Consider it craft cross-pollination at its finest.

(Beer added by: azdback on 09-27-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter Alström Bros
Bilco

10-16-2013 01:28:53 | More by Bilco
Bockerdoppel91

10-16-2013 00:58:06 | More by Bockerdoppel91
nrs207

1.15/5  rDev -70%

A - The beer looks like it has potential. It's nice and dark, leaves nice lacing, and has a nice 1 finger head.

S - This is where it all goes horribly wrong. It smells like some nasty perfume. It's atrocious.

T - I've never done this before, but I took a sip and upon tasting the "flavor," I immediately spit it back in my glass and rinsed my mouth out several times. It was not infected. I've had infected beers that are significantly better than this.

M - It wasn't in my mouth long enough to notice a mouthfeel.

O - This beer is atrocious. There is not 1 beer I've ever had that I would prefer less than this. Do not buy this. I don't know where these decent ratings are coming from. It is SO BAD. I know it sounds like I'm being dramatic, but I'm dead serious. I'd rather drink Natural Ice any day by far, honestly.

10-16-2013 00:56:16 | More by nrs207
BB1313

3.29/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottled on 9/10/13. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours black with a big tan head that fades very slowly and leaves great retention and lacing. The aromas are full of cocoa malts. Some milk chocolate along with a subtle roastiness. There are some flower pedals in the mix as well. The flower aspect is there in the aromas and flavors. The flavors are extremely earthy. The jasmine and flowers are present, as advertised. Lots of chocolate followed by a kiss of expresso. There's extremely subtle hints of vanilla. Some milk in the mix. There's a bit of a roasty bitterness to it. It's not as sweet as I anticipated. It's ultimately one note. It also has an odd finish and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of full-bodied. It's somewhat thin and almost watery, but it's still smooth. It has moderate carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden and there's not much of a warming sensation. It opens up as it gets warmer, but doen't become as complex as I would imagine with these interesting ingredients.

Very interesting beer. One minute I'm liking it, the next I'm confused. I definitely appreciate going outside of the box. They deliver what they advertised. Overall, I'm not crazy about it, but it's not bad.

10-15-2013 20:47:12 | More by BB1313

10-15-2013 05:06:54 | More by johnnyboy76
BEERMILER12

Maine

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled On 09/10/13

A: Pours a deep brown/mahogany color with 2 fingers of head that lasts a few minutes before fading down to a decent cap

S: A decent amount of sweetness from both the malts and honey along with some jasmine and floral notes. A little jumbled, but still pretty good

T: Starts off the same as the nose, with a bit of malt and honey sweetness. This is followed by the jasmine and floral notes. Some toastiness and leathery notes to cut the sweetness and floral notes as well as a decent amount of bitterness in the finish. Alcohol goes under the radar

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Almost like suede I guess

O: The jasmine is the thing that confuses me the most. I'm not sure if I like it (the jasmine) or not, but it definitely adds an interesting complexity to the beer. Regardless, another interesting collaboration worthy of trying

10-15-2013 04:48:19 | More by BEERMILER12
JohnnyMc

10-15-2013 03:07:54 | More by JohnnyMc
Rizalini

Nevada

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber bottle, bottled on 09/10/13, into my Deschutes goblet glass...

A - Pours a dark cola-brown, bordering on black with a finger of light brown head. There's a collar of lace left behind as I sip.

S - The nose is of milk chocolate, marshmallow, and some faint floral notes.

T/M - The taste is a little more sharp, and slightly bitter. The jasmine comes thru on the front of the taste. Kind of a hoppy bitter finish, that clings on to your tongue. Medium/heavy mouthfeel, average carbonation.

O - A very unique take on an imperial porter for sure. I think the floral balance is really nice. If the jasmine were any stronger, it would have a soapy, Mr. Bubble, kinda taste. The alcohol is barely noticable, and besides the slightly cloying bitterness, it's goes down pretty easy. I'm glad I have 1 more in the cellar.

10-15-2013 02:14:47 | More by Rizalini
kirkse

10-15-2013 02:11:11 | More by kirkse
VelvetExtract

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Suede pours dark brown but it is surprisingly translucent. Light penetrates the beer almost the full way through when held up to a bright source. Thin little splotch of creamy head. Very soft on the lacing.

S-We'll I have no idea what Calendula flowers smell like but I do smell the jasmine. I think I also get some potential honey. The coffee and chocolate are surprisingly tame. Some burnt caramel. More floral than expected.

T-The flavor is slightly more Porter-esque. I definitely get some honey and more accurately, honeysuckle in the finish. Then my mind wanders ...'honeysuckle, what a creepy name'. But yeah, after getting zero Coconut flavor from their Coconut IPA, I wasn't expecting the calendula, jasmine and honey to come out much but they did in impressive fashion. Definitely some dark fruits too and it reminds me of a darker Belgian at times.

M-Supremely soft carbonation. Nearly flat. The bubbles slowly vibrate on the tongue. Body has some girth. Booze is mellow.

O/D-A well crafted brew. It definitely doesn't suit my taste buds though. I respect it but I don't love it. Still, these new Stone collabo-brews may never cease to fleece my wallet, I can't stop going back and trying each one.

10-15-2013 00:35:38 | More by VelvetExtract

Washington

10-14-2013 18:02:33 | More by justwork
Jgivens

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into CCB pint glass from 22oz bomber.

Appearance-
Pours a dark black with 1 1/2 finger medium tan head. In glass there is no light penetration. definitely inviting for a stout guy like myself

Smell-
Smells sweet with slight hints of jasmine. Dark malt smell followed by chocolate notes.

Taste-
Definitely taste floral from the calendula and Jasmine. Second I get the chocolate and malt flavors. everything followed up by a little bit of bitterness from the hops.

Mouthfeel-
medium thickness, carbonation seems like it is a little more than necessary it seems like it kind of blocks the tongue from getting some of the flavors.

Overall-
I do enjoy this beer the floral tastes are different from other stouts and I think that's what sets it apart from others. If you have a chance to try it I would but I don't think this is something to go crazy looking for.

10-14-2013 17:50:09 | More by Jgivens
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.25/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appears a pitch black hue with big mocha tan head flowing forth without hesitation, I'm in love with the look of the beer. Description is an Imperial Porter with Claendula flowers, jasmine, and avocado honey. Fine speckled lacing left evenly along the sides of my chalice, a beautiful spectacle of a beer. Aroma has dark chocolate, roasted malt and caramel, with honey tones and floral notes it's big delicious and complex please go look for this beer if you haven't already seen it. Serve it warm the big delicious chocolate notes open up right away if this as been warmed a bit out of the fridge, complex and delicious I could write paragraphs about the floral hints and hints of earthy honey mixed in to a delicious imperial porter. However that's a subjective character that needs to be kept to the minimum when deciding whether or not you love that beer, the alcohol warmth is the only thing getting me down flavor wise there's nothing bad to report about. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a bit of warmth heading in to the equation perfect level of carbonation, I'm down. Otherwise a perfect beer that I will continue to enjoy even if it has a little bit of age on it.

10-14-2013 17:41:59 | More by WVbeergeek

10-14-2013 14:04:52 | More by tbone1384
MotorboatMofo

4.29/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Dark beer with two fingers of tan head.

S- Smell was amazing, Smell of fruits and honey.

T- Very smooth and well balanced. Couldn't taste the 9% alcohol. Everything was balanced and the hint of honey gave this beer class. Wasn't too fruity though, which was a good thing for me.

M- Definitely a sipper. I enjoyed sipping on this with some lamb.

O- Great collaboration. Must grab these while they are out. Definitely worth trying.

10-14-2013 11:08:15 | More by MotorboatMofo

10-14-2013 04:57:08 | More by itsjreal
Mosstrooper

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Poured from 22oz bottle into Widmer branded tumbler.

Appearance: Dark, almost opaque cola color with a medium-sized, creamy brown head that leaves behind thick lace.

Smell: Sweet honey backed up by chocolate/coffee maltiness.

Taste: Begins with a slight hoppiness that turns into sweet honey and a sweet, slightly bitter coffee flavor. A touch of bittersweet alcohol at the end.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full, creamy body with a sticky finish.

Overall: A good porter, much more well-rounded than I expected. None of the characteristics of this beer are overshadowed by others. Definitely worth grabbing.

10-14-2013 04:54:36 | More by Mosstrooper
10 Barrel / Blue Jacket / Stone - Suede Imperial Porter from Stone Brewing Co.