Opperman's Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Opperman's Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5thOpperman's Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th

pDev: n/a
Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zaphog on 04-06-2014

Dark Horse Plead The 5th Russian Imperial Stout aged for 20 months in 2 barrels of Elijah Craig 12 Year and 1 barrel of Eagle Rare Single Barrel hand selected by Jeff Opperman and then blended. Sold exclusively at Opperman's Cork N' Ale in Saginaw, Michigan.
Reviews by jmich24:

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.73/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.85/5  rDev n/a

This is my favorite RIS out there. Such great body and flavor ohh man, incredible! (83 characters)

4.27/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Oppermann's Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th last month for $4.99 at Cork N Ale. I've never had the regular version of Bourbon Barrel Plead The 5th, but since Cork N Ale is one of my local beer stores I was able to get a couple bottles of this version and I'm excited to give it a try, so lets see how it goes. April 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's the standard Plead The 5th label, but Oppermann's put a sticker on it to differentiate it, it's fairly eye catching. It poured a dark motor oil black color that didn't let any light come through and it had about a fingers worth of creamy light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left lots of spotty lacing and a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of higher sweetness and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some roasty, dark malt, chocolate, chocolate syrup, chocolate cake, and sweet malt like aromas with a nice caramel like aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes the barrel which imparts some nice bourbon and oak aromas, but it's the vanilla that seems to stick out the most and it works well with the heavy chocolate aromas and in the background there's lighter boozy aroma. This beer had a very good aroma, it was heavy on the chocolate, but there was just enough barrel aspects showing up.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it start off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the aspects that they did in the aroma with the chocolate still sticking out the most. Up next comes the barrel which impart some nice vanilla flavors, but this time it's the oak and bourbon that seem to stick out the most and they are followed by a sharp boozy flavor that's a little warming. On the finish there's a nice smokey flavor followed by hardly any bitterness with a little more booze and it had a chocolate and bourbon barrel like aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer, the barrel really came through, but there were some great chocolate flavors to back them up and they worked great together.

M- A little smooth, a little warming, a little boozy, sticky, rich, almost cloying, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice, but I think it would be just about perfect if the alcohol was hidden a little better.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought it was was a very good example of a Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, it had pretty much everything that I look for in the style and it for sure didn't come up short in the Bourbon Barrel department and I thought the base beer still shined through nicely. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little warming, a little boozy, sticky, rich, almost cloying, a little filling and the taste did a great job of holding my attention, this beer is a sipper and I think one is the perfect amount for me, but if someone offered me another one I'm sure I would drink it and I think it would make for a great beer to enjoy next to the fireplace on a cold night. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance, the barrel really came through, but so did the base beer and I felt satisfied with both aspects. What I like the least about this beer was the boozyness, it wasn't bad, but I think it could have been hidden just a little better. I would for sure buy this beer again and I hope Cork N Ale does something like this again, I think it's a great idea. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Barrel Aged Stouts. All in all i was very happy with this beer and a little impressed, it really delivered what I want out of a strong barrel aged stout and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. So far this is my favorite beer from Dark Horse. I still think I like KBS and Blacknote just a little more, but that doesn't take away from how good of a beer this is. Great job guys, the idea of the stores that sell the beer working with brewerys to release limited batches is pretty awesome and I hope to see more of it, keep up the great and creative work. (4,327 characters)

4/5  rDev n/a

Opperman's Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th from Dark Horse Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.