Dark Horse Smells Like A Safety Meeting - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Ratings: 794 | Reviews: 84
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.96/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Dark Horse's Smells Like A Safety Meeting last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer and since this is the first time Dark Horse has decided to distribute it I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's a fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little weird looking, but it is fairly eye catching. It poured a murky amber color that took on more of a brighter amber color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of very light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, it was a little dark for the style, but it still looked good.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up, at first they are pretty fruity aroma with some, citrus, tropical fruit and berry like aromas that mix together very nicely and neither aspect seems to stick more than the rest. Next comes the hops which impart this nice dank aroma that is little weed like, but not that much and there's also some resinous and herbal aromas in the background. Up next comes the malts which are on the lighter side and they impart some sweet malt, slightly grainy and caramel malt like aromas. This beer had a very nice aroma, I liked how fruity and juicy it was.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart pretty much the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time fruity aspects are lighter and the herbal, resinous and dank hops seem to stick out just a little more than the fruits Up next comes the malts which impart the exact same aspect that they did in the aroma with a slight amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness with a hoppy and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the hops weren't as juicy as they were in the aroma but they were still the highlight of this beer.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied and it had slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel, but I wish it wasn't as thick and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a good example of a American IPA, I don't think it really lived up to it's odd name since I didn't really find it to smell very weed like, but it did turn out to be an enjoyable IPA that was just a little more balanced than I expected. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think the mouthfeel would start to wear on me after a while so I think one or two would be the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was the highlight of this beer and it was very well done. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was just a little too thick and sticky for the style. I would buy this again if I saw it, but don't think I would need a full six pack and I would recommend this to anyone who like IPA's. All in all I was happy with this beer, as a whole I wasn't very impressed, but I did think this was a enjoyable example of a American IPA. This isn't my favorite American IPA or beer from Dark Horse, but it was still a good beer nonetheless. I do think the name is a little gimmicky. Nice job guys, this was a very solid IPA, keep up the good work.

3.84/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky caramel color with a creamy yellowish head that retains decently. Smells of deep green hoppiness - peppery and sappy - almost savory in nature. Herbs, scallions, and toast. Taste is a balance between hops and malt...hops stay a bit earthy and resinous, but is rounded out by black tea and tangerines. Very smooth dark fruit and pine needles meets a little dark grain. I'd like to call this "malty", but there's not a huge amount of malt flavor or sweetness - it's more of a "dark" sort of hoppiness. Creamy body gives it a full-ish feel, leading to a dry, bitter finish. Drinks pretty easy for over 8%. Not the weediest beer ever, but it does trend toward the resinous, dank end of the hop spectrum.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

does anyone else think this tastes like how pot smells?

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass out of a 12 oz bottle purchased at the Craft Beer Store in Dresden, Germany. Yes, Dresden -- couldn't believe I was seeing a Dark Horse beer over 4,000 miles from Marshall, MI!!!

APPEARANCE – Opaque orange in color w/ a thick light-tan head that produces wonderful lacing on the glass.

SMELL – Sweet piney aroma.

TASTE – Surprisingly sweet malty front that quickly yields to light hoppiness then repeating waves of malt and hop alternate as the taste fades away. Interesting.

MOUTHFEEL – Good wrap-around-your-tongue feel to it.

OVERALL – A rock-solid IPA. Not my favorite, but definitely an IPA that I'd buy again.

4.21/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of off white head that slowly fade into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A dank and juicy hop forward aroma with good hints of citrus and pine. Citrus fruit hints of grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon, pineapple, and tangerine. Big earthy and herbal hop presence with hints of grass and pine resin. Solid supporting malt presence with hints of caramel, grains, cracker, and yeast. Nicely dank and bitter smelling. A pretty good aroma.

Taste: As dank and fire as it smells, a big juicy mix of citrus and piney hops with a solid malt backing. Citrus hop notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, mango, and tangerine. Earthy, floral, and herbal hop notes with some pine resin and grass. As hoppy as things are there is a solid malt backing with notes of sweet caramel, grains, yeast, and cracker. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation, Juicy, oily, and pretty drying on the mouth like the sticky icky does to you.

Overall: A pretty fire and dank IPA. Good juicy and piney hop notes with a solid malt backing. How many puns can I put in a review? Maybe 420.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark Horse Smells like a safety meeting

Poured into pint glass

A: Pours a nice attractive dark amber with red glowing highlights.

S: Caramel, apples, dark fruits and some subtle citrus notes.

T: Good. Not bad at all but not amazing . . . Not disappointing. A solid offering but lacks a certain flavor that makes me want to revisit this one.

M: Medium-sized feel, sticky and finishes with a tangy feel on the back of tongue.

O: I like this beer and glad I decided to give it a try. Wouldn't hesitate to drink again but I will probably not seek out again.

Pours into my chalice, deep caramel hued body slightly hazed one of those unfiltered Michigan brewers. This happens to be bottled on 6/5/14...It definitely doesn't smell like an expiration date there's a fresh smelling hop nose not decomposed hop accents hanging out there. Big malty and hoppy it's a huge DIPA more bordering a strong ale or weak barleywine. I'm pairing this malt monster of a DIPA with a Viaje Zombie Antidote it's got the right combination of pepper spice and Nicaraguan tobacco to balance out this big beer!!! Aroma has apricot preserves citrus mango and a bit of a booze coming through. Flavor deep pine, sweet apricot fruit notes, citrus pith bittering it out to the bone, with some lingering tropical notes adding some sweetness back into the mix. Mouthfeel a bit viscous and hot on the palate with alcohol, but it has enough hop resins to mellow everything out. Overall I'm very pleased with this big DIPA no frills in your face version of the style aggressive like most of the other beers in Dark Horse's stable.

4.61/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful golden caramel yellow with a very bubbly one finger head.

This smells so damn good. I'm not sure what kind of hop is used, but it's got some fruity funk and I like it. It reminds me of Jelly Bellys.

Fruity funky hops with Jelly Bellys, that's all I'm getting and I ain't hating.

Moutful is fizzy and hoppy and very good.

This brew instantly gained an eternal place in my heart.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Dark amber color with not quite one finger of head that settled to a thin film. Light spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma is dank herbal, pine, earth, and a hint of mint. There is a barely detectable level of sweetness from the malt that is common in almost all Dark Horse beers.

I oddly get a lot of mint or wintergreen in the flavor. The rest of the flavor is herbal and a touch of pine. A nice level of sweet and toasted malt makes an effort to balance of the bitterness, but it is in vain. As a result, the bitterness is not overwhelming despite this being an IPA in the high IBU ranges.

This is a large bodied IPA with really nice carbonation. A little slick but otherwise feels nice on the palate.

This does not smell really dank and weedy to me. But what do I know. Still a pretty damn good IPA from Dark Horse.

3.87/5  rDev -2.5%

The head is bright white with a dense thick foam and tremendously thick lacing. The color was a hearty and cloudy copper.

The aroma is filled with strong outdoorsy herbal aroma. Fresh mowed grass comes to mind, lemongrass, pine, and some dank onion. There is a swathe of sweetness in the form of caramel, grapefruit and lemon.

The taste is spot on the scent at almost every layer. The caramel malt is a bit stronger but the flavors mimic the scent perfectly.

Here's where I may lose a lot if people. I find this jaw locking, palate wrecking bitter to a point of being annoying. The astringency is palate drying. Many may like that and it's a matter of personal taste.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look 8/10
Smell 16/20
Taste 35/40
Feel 8/10
Drinkability 17/20

Overall 84/100

Nice robust hop profile.... Balanced out with a crushing malt bomb... Ok, not my favorite balance of this style~

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle purchased from Nathaniel Square Corner Store.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color, with a half inch head, and a little bit of head.

It doesn't quite smell like a safety meeting (or weed, for that matter) but it smells supremely dank, grassy, and just plain dirty. Not a whole lot of citrus here, but there's possibly a little bit of grapefruit.

This beer just tastes sticky as hell. Very floral, herbal, and piney, with very little citrus flavor. There is a strong malt background as well, that provides a little bit of sweetness. Relatively bitter, slightly vegetal, but it's not a problem.

Medium bodied, sticky but bitter mouthfeel. Fairly drinkable despite the heavy-handed flavors. Low carbonation.

Another winner by Dark Horse, this set out to do something and it really accomplished it.

3.49/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a Dark Horse pint glass

It is rust colored with burnt orange highlights. I can see specks of yeast suspended in it. The beer is topped with an inch of tan head.

I was expecting some dank shit. Instead I get mostly pine. I even checked to see if it was old, but it was bottled a couple weeks ago.

I get a little bit of everything in the taste. I get some pine. I get some tea flavors. I get some malt. Once again, not what I was expecting.

Medium mouthfeel

Ever since I watched that abortion of a show on the "History" channel their beers keep tasting worse. I had high hopes for this beer and am left utterly disappointed.

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a stemmed tulip glass

Pours a deep, rich orangey-amber color with two fingers of off-white head that leaves nice lacing. I really liked the color on this IPA; it’s somehow unique. The nose is full of juicy citrus hops and sweet caramel malt. I don’t pick-out the promised grass, but maybe I spent too much time in Vancouver…. On the palate, there is a nice malt profile featuring sweet caramel, bread and toasted malt. This gives way to a citrus hop profile that finishes with a pleasant bittering hop dryness and lots of resinous pine. The mouthfeel is really nice, incredibly smooth, creamy and sticky with just the right amount of carbonation. Overall, a really nice, balanced IPA.

4.49/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a New Belgium goblet.

A- Pours a dark amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a large center patch of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a jagged ring behind.

S- Very unique aroma of fresh grassy wet hops and sweet cereal grain malt. It's bursting with juiciness as notes of pineapple, mango and even sugar cookie emanate from the glass. Mosaic?

T- Very aggressive bitterness grabs hold of the palate and brings with it a lot of grassy hop flavor. The bitterness lingers awhile but is just about perfect as far as my threshold is concerned. Very, very drinkable for the ABV except the bitterness keeps one from taking too many sips in a row.

M- Very oily and bitey from the hops but not the booze. Medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the fuller side.

O- My new favorite Dark Horse beer. Forget Double Crooked Tree. This is the shit. Should've gotten a six-pack instead of a single.

4.05/5  rDev +2%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 05/06/2014 printed on the bottleneck, so this is some pretty fresh beer right here. Cheers to Dark Horse for dating their bottles. Picked up a single bottle of this from the local beer store.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - It pours a fairly dark burnt orange color with some ruby red hues to it when held to the light. Two fingers of fluffy khaki head that thins behind thin spindly lacing. Looks very nice.

S - There is a decent herbal / vegetal hop blend to the aroma; citrusy - grapefruit, lemon peels, pine, some creaminess, some spice rack notes, but nothing that I would describe as smelling at all like marijuana. I suppose I would say it is "skunky" but it's a different type of skunky. There is actually a pretty strong caramel / bready malt backbone that stands out me.

T - Taste is the same - bready caramel / toffee malt, & citrus fruits - grapefruit, pine, tangerine, lemon peels. Not overly hoppy or bitter though. Very nicely balanced.

M - Feel is super smooth, frothy, and creamy. Hoppy and resinous on the finish. Semi-dry. Medium bodied with excellent carbonation.

Overall, a very nice IPA from Dark Horse. Bordering into imperial IPA territory with the well-hidden 8.50% abv, so it is not something I would have a lot of, but it is very nicely done. Recommended.

Dark Horse Smells Like A Safety Meeting ---4/5.

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Amber, dark orange, hazy with an off white head. Fades quickly but never fully dissapates. Leaves little lacing.

S - Sweet punch, citrus, tropical fruits blends well with the caramel malt. Not sure where one ends and the next begins. Strong dankness. Never smelt the dank like this before.

T - Resin, pine. malt there to balance it out. Lingers on the palate.

M - Thin to medium body, low carb. Dries out the mouth.

O - A great use of a wide variety of hops with a simple malt backbone. A very good brew.

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%

Glad to see a lower ABV DIPA from dark horse their Double Crooked Tree I choked on. Only paid $2.49 for the single at vintage estate.

A - A very hazy amber brown color light with the trademark Dark Horse Creamy foam. Sticks around for a while and makes for world class lacing.
S -What a DIPA should smell like dank and citrus hops, sweeter malts, and no delectable ABV.
T - Really thick stuff coats the tounge with bittering hops which is on par with Stones "Ruination" Its been a while since I have had such a bitter yet tolerable beer. Bitter Bitter Bitter yet smooth.
M - The ABV is their in the finish mixed in with the hop oils. Drinks quite medium but feels quite thick.

Overall I am glad I tried this like everything they make it is well crafted but I kind of enjoy their malty and stout beers more. I do appreciate them making this I found Double Crooked Tree undrinkable at least this is palate-able.

3.96/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz Bottle received in trade with mtomlins - thanks!

Appearance - Copper colour with a large size off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Hops, apricots, malts

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste apricot, grapefruit, and pineapple. There is also some caramel, malts, and a sugary sweetness. It ends with a leafy hop bitterness.

Overall - An above average DIPA. Listed as a IPA but at %8.5 and with the flavours it has - more of a DIPA in my books. Not sure when this was bottled but it still has a great hop bite and a nice balance of bold flavours.

3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

For a beer with its name, I honestly expected a lot more from the noise. Frankly, I did not pick up much of a "weed" smell. Overall, a nice ipa. Not sure I'd get another six pack, but glad I grabbed the one I did

3.39/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottled on 5/13/14. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy copper with an off-white head that fades leaving nice retention and decent lacing. The aromas are nice, but not overwhelming. Lots of grapefruit along with hints of pine. Some citrus notes. Nice amount of caramel malts in the mix. The flavors are solid, but aren't getting me overly excited. The malts make their mark, and arguably cut down on the bitterness. More grapefruit along with hints of orange and lemon. Some pine needles in the mix. Subtle bitterness. Subtle sweetness. Flavors kind of fall flat for me, but they aren't bad my any stretch. Mouthfeel is nice. It's full-bodied and pretty creamy. Fluffy with low carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed although it pops up in the flavors every once in awhile just to say hey.

This is a decent DIPA, but it's ultimately forgettable for me. Not bad at all, but not anything I'd revisit.

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Hazy copper with a short head of tight tan bubbles. Fat strings of lace fall slowly back into a paper-thin retention as the drink progresses.

S: Thick, resinous hops galore – pine sap and lemon oil rise to robust, almost oniony proportions, with subtle additions of melon and grass. Interesting malt bill, too, providing a base that’s heavy on honey and vanilla.

T&M: A bold palate complemented by a thick, slick texture makes this a definite sipper. Starts with a base of pure caramel malt, a syrupy concoction of caramel, honey, and brown sugar. Hop oils lie on top with a citrus character, notes of passionfruit and tangerine peeking out before the bitterness hits. And when that bitterness hits, it hits hard; citrus rind and herbal pine (think juniper) occupy the back of the palate which, while softened by the malt presence, still provides a dry pucker. Residual sugars come back for the finish, giving this a mildly bitter aftertaste.

O: A well-balanced ale that sits right at the ABV I like for a DIPA. It’s a little thick for my tastes, but any fan of Dreadnaught or Hopslam would find this well-suited to their palate. Cheers.

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

This arrived in 6-packs to our local wine/brew shop just this week. I've been watching the show and I gathered this outfit knows how to produce quality brew. Out of the bottle & into a Oktoberfest glass, I am detecting a slight medicinal aftertaste that garnishes an otherwise enjoyable sip, clove-infused seeming, but not too sweet. Carbonation out of the bottle was intense but the lacing on the glass is inviting. A bit brassy for what I look for in an IPA but the only other one to select of theirs on the shelf was the Imperial IPA and it's got equivalent ABV as this one, maybe one of their regular ales shows up under 8% I will notice less medicinal quality. Cheers~

3.97/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Smells like a safety meeting, you say? I wish the meetings at my job smelled like the ones at Dark Horse. Anyway, gentlemen, let's go ahead and get this started.

A: Pours a deep orange, with a thick, creamy white head.

S: This beer smells sweet, juicy, and sticky, with abundant notes of ripe fruit, and a little bit of pine and sugary toffee/caramel supporting the overwhelmingly fruity aroma. Judging just by the nose, I'd say the guys at Dark Horse get so excited about safety meetings because somebody puts out an aromatic assortment of fresh mangos, pineapples, and tangerines to snack on.

T: This is nowhere near as sweet and fruity as the nose. As the implied joke in the name suggests, Smells Like a Safety Meeting is mostly dank and bitter. There is a soft undercurrent of delicate orange and peach, piney resin, a touch of lightly sweet caramel (nowhere near as present as the nose led me to believe), and earthy hops. It's definitely high on bitterness and hop presence, but unfortunately the other flavors are a little more subdued than I'd like.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, and sticky. Low carbonation levels and a dry finish.

O: Solid for the the price and alcohol content (and the drug joke and surreal label art), but ultimately I wish the flavors just stood out a little more. Not a bad DIPA by any stretch of the imagination, but the taste is definitely a let-down considering how inviting the nose is.

3.21/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Smaller fizzy slight creamy head covering fades at fair rate, little lacing, of course it's very dark for an ipa, murky iced tea brown maroon color.

Nose brings some sweet candy malts, little nutty brown malt and reddish toasty but not caramel, into earthy herbal hops, little black tea, bit grassy and leafy, little candied orange peel, etc, and touch of sugary iced tea.

Taste brings more sweetness, toffee, brown sugar, little candy syrup but not at all syrupy, sugar daddy, also not super sweet surprisingly. Then earthy herbal hops, grassy leafy, black tea, little orange peel and herbal tea spices, creamy smooth rich feeling. Fair to heavier bitterness attempts to increase on the finish, quite bitter on the finish, earthy herbal hops, more herbal tea, little dry but sticky, faint warming booze, candy flavours lingering too.

Mouth is med to bigger bod, rich creamy smooth like, decent carb, very faint booze.

Overall... well if this was a Hoppy brown ale it would be pretty nice, but an ipa?!! Nothing like it.

to view more.