Dark Horse Smells Like A Safety Meeting - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Smells Like A Safety MeetingDark Horse Smells Like A Safety Meeting

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: SportsandJorts on 04-26-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.95/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Dark Horse's Smells Like A Safety Meeting last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer and since this is the first time Dark Horse has decided to distribute it I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's a fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little weird looking, but it is fairly eye catching. It poured a murky amber color that took on more of a brighter amber color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of very light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, it was a little dark for the style, but it still looked good.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up, at first they are pretty fruity aroma with some, citrus, tropical fruit and berry like aromas that mix together very nicely and neither aspect seems to stick more than the rest. Next comes the hops which impart this nice dank aroma that is little weed like, but not that much and there's also some resinous and herbal aromas in the background. Up next comes the malts which are on the lighter side and they impart some sweet malt, slightly grainy and caramel malt like aromas. This beer had a very nice aroma, I liked how fruity and juicy it was.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart pretty much the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time fruity aspects are lighter and the herbal, resinous and dank hops seem to stick out just a little more than the fruits Up next comes the malts which impart the exact same aspect that they did in the aroma with a slight amount of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness with a hoppy and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the hops weren't as juicy as they were in the aroma but they were still the highlight of this beer.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied and it had slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel, but I wish it wasn't as thick and sticky.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a good example of a American IPA, I don't think it really lived up to it's odd name since I didn't really find it to smell very weed like, but it did turn out to be an enjoyable IPA that was just a little more balanced than I expected. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think the mouthfeel would start to wear on me after a while so I think one or two would be the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was the highlight of this beer and it was very well done. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was just a little too thick and sticky for the style. I would buy this again if I saw it, but don't think I would need a full six pack and I would recommend this to anyone who like IPA's. All in all I was happy with this beer, as a whole I wasn't very impressed, but I did think this was a enjoyable example of a American IPA. This isn't my favorite American IPA or beer from Dark Horse, but it was still a good beer nonetheless. I do think the name is a little gimmicky. Nice job guys, this was a very solid IPA, keep up the good work.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass out of a 12 oz bottle purchased at the Craft Beer Store in Dresden, Germany. Yes, Dresden -- couldn't believe I was seeing a Dark Horse beer over 4,000 miles from Marshall, MI!!!

APPEARANCE – Opaque orange in color w/ a thick light-tan head that produces wonderful lacing on the glass.

SMELL – Sweet piney aroma.

TASTE – Surprisingly sweet malty front that quickly yields to light hoppiness then repeating waves of malt and hop alternate as the taste fades away. Interesting.

MOUTHFEEL – Good wrap-around-your-tongue feel to it.

OVERALL – A rock-solid IPA. Not my favorite, but definitely an IPA that I'd buy again.

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of off white head that slowly fade into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A dank and juicy hop forward aroma with good hints of citrus and pine. Citrus fruit hints of grapefruit, orange peel, mango, lemon, pineapple, and tangerine. Big earthy and herbal hop presence with hints of grass and pine resin. Solid supporting malt presence with hints of caramel, grains, cracker, and yeast. Nicely dank and bitter smelling. A pretty good aroma.

Taste: As dank and fire as it smells, a big juicy mix of citrus and piney hops with a solid malt backing. Citrus hop notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, mango, and tangerine. Earthy, floral, and herbal hop notes with some pine resin and grass. As hoppy as things are there is a solid malt backing with notes of sweet caramel, grains, yeast, and cracker. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation, Juicy, oily, and pretty drying on the mouth like the sticky icky does to you.

Overall: A pretty fire and dank IPA. Good juicy and piney hop notes with a solid malt backing. How many puns can I put in a review? Maybe 420.

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark Horse Smells like a safety meeting

Poured into pint glass

A: Pours a nice attractive dark amber with red glowing highlights.

S: Caramel, apples, dark fruits and some subtle citrus notes.

T: Good. Not bad at all but not amazing . . . Not disappointing. A solid offering but lacks a certain flavor that makes me want to revisit this one.

M: Medium-sized feel, sticky and finishes with a tangy feel on the back of tongue.

O: I like this beer and glad I decided to give it a try. Wouldn't hesitate to drink again but I will probably not seek out again.

Pours into my chalice, deep caramel hued body slightly hazed one of those unfiltered Michigan brewers. This happens to be bottled on 6/5/14...It definitely doesn't smell like an expiration date there's a fresh smelling hop nose not decomposed hop accents hanging out there. Big malty and hoppy it's a huge DIPA more bordering a strong ale or weak barleywine. I'm pairing this malt monster of a DIPA with a Viaje Zombie Antidote it's got the right combination of pepper spice and Nicaraguan tobacco to balance out this big beer!!! Aroma has apricot preserves citrus mango and a bit of a booze coming through. Flavor deep pine, sweet apricot fruit notes, citrus pith bittering it out to the bone, with some lingering tropical notes adding some sweetness back into the mix. Mouthfeel a bit viscous and hot on the palate with alcohol, but it has enough hop resins to mellow everything out. Overall I'm very pleased with this big DIPA no frills in your face version of the style aggressive like most of the other beers in Dark Horse's stable.

Dark Horse Smells Like A Safety Meeting from Dark Horse Brewing Company