Dark Horse Sapient Trip Ale - Dark Horse Brewing Company

good

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 04-20-2004)

4.83/5  rDev +32%

All my friends and I are obsessed with this beer come summer. Screw oberon, this tastes better and is a lot stronger for the same price. Very pleasant balance of grainyness, slight citral and clovelike flavors with some banana as well. Hides alcohol very well. A staple to all my summers.

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

4.78/5  rDev +30.6%

A - Cloudy peach in color, with a flimsy and ridiculously small centimeter thick head. The small amount of foam quickly becomes a thin collar, and ultimately nothing at all. The pretty color of this brew, however, saves it's ass from a low appearance score. The color is at times like carrot juice, multicolored peach skin, and tangerine candy. Despite the lace of head, a good deal of spotty lace is smatered all around the surface of the glass.

S - Caramel, taffy, and fruity candy. My wife recently bought some organic tangerine flavored licorice that came in a brown paper bag, and this smells a lot like those interesting treats. Apple skin. Yeasty and fresh as can be, this smells delightful.

T - Sweet tangerine and mango flavored taffy. I've had confections at an old-fashioned confectioner's shop that taste a lot like this...the sweet gooey stuff that's pulled on a big old fashioned iron taffy puller. This is never overly sweet or cloying, as a really nice hop presence tightens things up. This starts sweet and thick, moves through a hoppy and slightly boozy mid-palate, and ends with a fresh fruit and sea salt neutral finish with a very faint white pepper note. Damn...this is crazy-complex and tasty as hell.

M - This feels lighter on the palate than it really is. Sugars abound at the initial sip and made me think that this would be a really heavy beer, but the really heavy hop flavors and alcohol feel keep this in check. This has a very low level of carbonation, but the bubbles that I can feel are an occasional sharp prick in a sea of smoothness.

D - Killer drinkability! No ABV listed, but I can bet it's pretty high...who cares? I'd still session this one! This is honestly one of the better tripels our there IMO, especially for an American take on the style...I think I'm a sucker for the hops, and the high level of malt sweetness in this one is just the perfect balance for the flavors presented here.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

I love this beer, it is the first craft brew that I fell head over heels for. It starts a little bitter then turns sweet with a finish that is a nice spice like nutmeg or allspice. The fact that I live 20 miles from the brewery makes life awsome! They have inspired me to get serious about my own beer making. The one draw back is that this beer must be enjoyed draft rather than in the bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

No info available on this brew.

Pours out to a clear orange-golden with peach accents, forming a rocky peaking head with superior retention and wonderful lacing. A solid ring of lace is deposited with every sip. Carbonation is moderately-strong, forming streamers. Flittering bits of stuff prance about. Aroma is wonderful...lots of cloves, early yellow bananas, spicy phenolics, a touch of dry must...the aroma reminds me instantly of Unibroue's trademark yeast strain. Very classic. Mouthfeel is spritzy with a pleasantly syrupy but deceptingly light body. Taste is out of this world...bananas, cloves, lots of spicy esters, vanilla, floral aromatics and fruity aldehydes...wow. Delicate bitterness perfectly in balance with the residual sweetness. Very cleanly fermented with no perceptable off-flavors. Alcohol is imperceptable in taste, only in mentation.

I am floored. One of the best Trippels I've ever had, let alone the best tripel in Michigan. This reminds me in many ways of Unibroue 10 or 11...it's that good or better. Perfectly drinkable, satisfying, complex, rich...what can I say? Do yourself a favor and try this! Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a goblet. The color is a dark golden, with a wisp of white head. The smell is sweet and somewhat spicy. The taste is very candi sugar/bubblegum/cotton candy sweet, with esters very present in the flavor, and a bit of coriander, and just a touch of alcohol. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, this would be one I'd have several of.

Thank you to trbeer for the gift to take home. Well, all I can say is that this is an outstanding tripel!! Maybe those who prefer it on the drier side wouldn't like this one, but since I like that candi sugar sweetness, I'm loving this one. I'm just upset that I heard that Dark Horse was coming to Pittsburgh, but I confirmed with Aaron at the Summer Beer Festival that event was far away (which is a shame, since Dark Horse is an amazing brewery). Still, I'll be enjoying this beer whenever I get the chance.

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

Golden-orange hue. Carbonation surfaces at a good clip. Frothy snow white head lasts long and laces nicely. Good aroma of bread and yeast. Warm memories of bread baking in the oven come to mind. Some candy like sweetness too. Impressive flavor. Nice blend of sweetness and yeasty esters and biscuity malt tones. Alcohol presence is perceptible but in no way overbearing. The beer melts away and dissolves softly in the mouth. Light-medium in body. And VERY drinkable. Very enjoyable tripel. One of the better ones I've had in quite some time.

Dark Horse Sapient Trip Ale from Dark Horse Brewing Company