Dark Horse Sapient Trip Ale - Dark Horse Brewing Company

good

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 04-20-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Finchum

02-05-2012 11:41:09 | More by Finchum
Lookjoesays

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

08-08-2012 05:05:59 | More by Lookjoesays
nas5755

1.58/5  rDev -56.7%

A good looking tripel with a golden brown color that is slightly hazy. The nose reminds me of pears, golden dirt and macha root. The taste is very similar with more fruit nuances and bready yeast characteristics added into the heavy macha and earthy flavors. A good smooth clean mouth-feel, slightly chewy and a good medium low carbonation level. Overall, this is an interesting beer that brings some flavors out I just don't want in a beer. Macha is not a flavor I would ever seek out in a beer and dirt flavors are best suited to adventures in funk. Not something I will be seeking out again.

11-30-2010 02:09:19 | More by nas5755
Rekrule

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

12-09-2012 22:19:02 | More by Rekrule
Jesse13713

1.85/5  rDev -49.3%

Poured into a Hoppin' Frog snifter.

Appearance - Mark darker than expected. A hazy wind of carbonation and wheat brown/yellow hues. Decent lacing without much of a head. Very earthy looking.

Smell - Underwhelming to say the least. Light banana and belgian yeast. No hint of spice, and a total lack of complexity or body.

Taste - A very bland and honestly quite boring tripel. Everything about this beer is tame. Masked bananas, a shave of citrus peel, rotten toffee, and an awkward funky malt make for a less than impressive beer.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - Just sort of unpleasant in the mouth. Quite bland and simple. The ABV is completely hidden under the wheat malt. I like Dark Horse as a brewery, but this one just really didn't do anything for me - compared to other dark horse beers as well as tripels.

07-16-2012 00:59:39 | More by Jesse13713
nzerbe

07-21-2013 03:27:26 | More by nzerbe
nas4atu

05-25-2012 14:26:40 | More by nas4atu
phattysbox

2.05/5  rDev -43.8%

12oz bottle poured into Duvel glass. Thick 1in head with aggressive pour that dissipates to nothing in a heart beat. Color of unclarified honey.

Holy banana!! Is this a Hefe-weizen? Smells a bit like bready belgian yeast, but the banana / clove is too overpwoering for a triple style. Alcohol also cuts in slightly in the nose. Tastes like weizen as well - bubblegum flavors abound followed weakly by a dextrin like sweetness. Mouthfeel was a bit wet for a triple. The taste misses the mark by being a bit unbalanced for me.

Drinkability - unfortunately was a drain-pour. Was expecting a triple not a banana sundae.

Haven't had anything else from Dark Horse, hopefully their other brews shine brighter...

08-01-2008 20:19:07 | More by phattysbox
OldSchoolGamer

2.08/5  rDev -43%

Dark Horse has got a pretty decent rep so far. I really like their Crooked Tree IPA and Black Bier Ale quite a bit. This is their interpretation of a Belgian Triple. Heres the review:

A: Pours a very murky yellow/orange. I can't see through the beer at all. I also do not see any bubbles coming up from the bottom. Head dissipated to a tiny, white film over the beer.

S: I get alot of banana. The typical Belgian yeast smell. Some sweetness in the aroma.

T: Okay, this taste is not sitting well with me at all. I get a strong cabbage flavor right off the bat. It pretty much overpowers anything else. There is also hints of banana, yeast, sweetness, and is somewhat medicinal. Not the flavors I am looking for in a beer.

M: Medium bodied. Somewhat flat carbonation. Flavors do linger on the palate, which isn't a good thing.

D: For me, the drinkability is going to be low. Bad taste and mouthfeel detract from it. I am contemplating pouring the rest down the drain as it is not very good.

This beer is one of the worst I have had in a while. I don't care for Belgian Ales to begin with, but this exibits flavors that are pretty offensive. Not recommended, but give it a try if you are feeling brave.

06-06-2009 18:49:30 | More by OldSchoolGamer
errantnight

2.13/5  rDev -41.6%

Thanks raverjames!

Well... my first disappointing Dark Horse beer... and my first BA review of one of theirs... but there's some good ones to come.

This pours with a fizzy head that disappears rapidly... not the luxurious head one would hope for. There's no lacing. No lasting head. The color is right, a pale straw.

Aroma is huge bubble gum and banana with a fusel alcohol background. Spice is barely perceptible.

Flavor is again huge bubble gum, with a juicy fruit middle and ripe fruit. It's reasonably dry, but still leaves some candy sweetness on the tongue, and hot alcohols parenthetical everything.

Mouthfeel is appropriately light, but it settles on the tongue, it doesn't lift. No spritely carbonation.

This is a struggle to get through. My first impression is fermentation problems... too hot too soon.

06-10-2008 06:44:54 | More by errantnight
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.16/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy dark gold color. The head is a finger high (white colored) and rather poorly retaining. A tiny ring of lacing is left on the glass. Not particularly attractive.

S: This has a rather heavy note of orange peel, combining with some stewed dark fruits, candied sugar, caramel and a touch of coriander. I hate to blaspheme, but...but...BUT...it smells like a roided-up Blue Moon. In a realm full of La Fin Du Mondes, this isn't a good place to be - however, the aroma isn't awful by any stretch.

T: There's something off about this one. At first, I think it's just a poorly handled orange peel note. Then, as I swirl it in my mouth, it hits me like a sack of dildos: this is tomato-y. After about the third sip, I couldn't wait to pour the dregs in. It seems to have helped a bit: the tomato disappears slightly (not completely) and grows more generically yeasty. This also seems to be acidic to the point of harshness, too. Nope, I'm ultimately wrong - this is still tomato-y as hell.

M: Like many Dark Horse beers, it's crisp and easy to drink for the style. It would be even easier to drink if the flavor profile didn't suck ass, though. Carbonation is slightly prickly but not intensely vibrant.

O: I've had some great 'Murican-made tripels (Allagash Tripel, Boulevard Long Strange Tripel, hell, even Flying Fish's Exit 4 was damn enjoyable). This isn't even close to being one of those - it might even be the worst example of the style I've had yet. The best I can say about this is that I can power through it without dumping it. Even better, Dark Horse makes a bunch of solid beer that I can drink instead of this crap.

04-23-2014 23:02:03 | More by ThisWangsChung
Thorpe429

2.17/5  rDev -40.5%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a tulip. Color is a bright honey gold with a mild white head and not much in the way of retention or lacing. Nose is strange with some cardboard and phenols plus a great deal of slice. Taste falls under the same rubric. Body is off with fairly low carbonation. While the off flavors weren't terribly apparent, when combined with a lack of true character, this just wasn't my favorite brew, especially coming from a brewery whose beers I normally enjoy very much.

11-09-2010 13:37:09 | More by Thorpe429
shbobdb

Indiana

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

This beer pours that hazy-American Wheat Beer yellow I've come to associate with Tripels. However, I'm used to there being fairly robust carbonation in tripels, with nice heads. The head on this beer is barely even there during the pour!

The beer both smells and tastes heavily of adjuncts. OK, I accept that Tripels need a fair amount of sugar in them, but, man, this beer tastes like estery, nasty cider was mixed 3/4th to 1/4th with a Czech Pilsner.

No thank you.

Kentucky

06-16-2013 00:19:40 | More by Hobo
colefsuwr

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Without a doubt this is the most clove I have ever tasted in a beer. The smell was great for the style but upon tasting I was overwhelmed and squinted from the cloves. I love most beers that come from dark horse but this is not on my wish list. i should give it another try but i don't know if i can.

01-14-2010 21:48:54 | More by colefsuwr
gafferjohn

01-17-2012 19:08:05 | More by gafferjohn
SmashPants

Australia

2.54/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: a dark brown 355mL bottle with a great craft label - a very nice package.

Appearance: pours a burnished hazy orange-copper with a fluffy white head that drops away pretty quickly to a thin cap. Certainly not standard for a tripel.

Aroma: a combination of Belgian yeasts and some orchard fruits - not particularly good to be honest; very awkward.

Taste: and that awkwardness follows through to the palate. I love Tripels - it is one of my favourite styles - but this one is pretty ordinary. No body and little Tripel complexity.

Aftertaste: fades away quicker, again not much happening.

Mouth feel: very flat in feel - hardly any body at all.

Overall: whilst I am a big fan of Tripels, this was a very poor attempt. No complexity and no body, leaving just a half-hearted awkward whack of Belgian-ish flavours. Add a price over AU$150 for a case, and this one doesn't make the cut.

03-13-2014 09:48:28 | More by SmashPants
hopheadtony1

2.55/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear amber beer. Nice amber light. this is amedium quality white head for my part. Herbal in the nose, malty smooth in the mouth. European hops background. Maybe more intresting with sa little bit of yeast sleeping in the bottle. Nice belgian tribute.

04-13-2011 16:59:32 | More by hopheadtony1
lurpy1

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

On tap at the Pizza House in Lansing. Thought I'd had this before, maybe not because I wound up disliking this beer as follows:

Attractive pour, orangish/goldenrod, not a lot of head.

Smell is slightly fruity, a little bit of yeast. Not really bad.

Taste really had me wondering if Pizza House slipped me the wrong beer. A fruity flavor permeates, and it's not a flavor I can place, nor a flavor I like at all. Reminiscent of either bananas or aprcots, not a fan of either. Most similar to bananas, but since DFH Aprihop is on tap...Then again I've had tripels with banana undertones, but those were more muted and agreeable.

Good smooth mouthful, did a good job on carbonation. But the flavor of this beer really didn't sit well with me.

I've liked all the DarkHorse brews I've sampled, but this one, I do not like it Sam I Am. Next time I'm in I'll ask for a sample of Sapient, make sure I got the right stuff.

08-19-2011 14:24:39 | More by lurpy1
BlackAngus

Indiana

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

A - A bright copper/goldish color, white head that faded a little too quick.

S - Bready, yeasty, fruity.

T - WAY too sweet...extremely sweet up front, hiding the alcohol flavor. Caramely, hint of orange. But the sweetness is intense and it dominates.

M - Light body, nice carb. Cloying aftertaste.

D - I won't get it again. It's far too sweet for the style, imo.

10-26-2006 23:46:04 | More by BlackAngus
bashiba

Iowa

2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured a bright lemony orange, slightly cloudy, with a big thick off white head, decent lacing with moderate retention.

Smell was full of yeast and citrus notes, with hints of apricots and bananas.

Taste is mildy sweet with a bit of sharp metallic tinge to it. Has some nice fruit flavors, but the coppery flavor seems to overpower it.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and a bit oily with a touch of warmth.

Overall, it seemed very flawed to me, while still drinkable, not worth drinking again.

12-15-2007 03:56:05 | More by bashiba