Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Reviews by SometimesIfart:
4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours amber with a two and a half finger off white head. Leaves a great amount of lacing.

S - Grapefruit and pine up front, followed by a bit of malt and tangerines, along with lemon and orange zest.

T - Predominantly grapefruit up front, followed by tangerines and a small amount of malt and and even smalller amount of alcohol.

M - Medium, creamy body, with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, amazing for 12%. Balanced pretty well, but could be better.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

From notes on 3/25/14

On tap at the brewery while walking through the tour. Excellent beer. Wow could this easily sneak up on you at over 13% ABV. Sure doesn't taste like that. Love the cloudy body of this beer. Aroma is very hoppy. Taste is hop forward. Nice and citrusy flavors. Great malt backbone. Decided to visit Dark Horse on my way up to the KBS release in Grand Rapids and was very pleasantly surprised. Great beers, starting with this one.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a deep hazed burnt orange with a very nice established one finger head that really stuck to the glass leaving a sheet of lace behind stupid me I poured kinda harsh letting all the chunks and floaties swirl about in the finish pour.Wholy shneikies is this thing fresh smelling like freshly and I means freshly mown grassover top pine neadles with a touch of hay just awesome.Quite dry on the palate not much residual sweetness that comes from alot of dipa's big and herbal with damp leaves that come to mind the malt base is more like that of cracker malt quite dry.Thick,resiny and chewey with a more noticable apricot-like flavor in the finish as I drink more.This has alot of complexities going on the alcohol comes as you drink more providing sweetness,a fine offering.Pure and simple its hop juice.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Well, this is... interesting. A big chunk of... something... just poured into my beverage and broke apart into sediment, which seems to be settling at the bottom of my glass. Poured a deep orange with about a finger-width of a white foam that's leaving a little lacing along the side. Lots and lots of bubbles in this one.

Smell: Lots of pine-sol in this one. A small bit of grapefruitish notes, too.

Taste: After watching that chunk of whatever come out of the bottle and into my glass, I'm gonna let the foam subside first. I'd like to see if there's anything still floating on top, you know? **5 minutes later** Yeah, this is nice. Pine and citrusy. Some malt notes. Don't taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Not the heaviest double IPA I've ever had. A little creamy and bitter on the finish, but not a bad thing necessarily.

Overall: Pretty good. Still a little puzzled about the big chunk o' stuff that poured out. I reserve the right to revise this if I feel ill from any particles later.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Reviewed from notes on 7/6/10.

A: Wow, this is a lot darker than I thought it would be. The color is an attractive ruby-red and copper. It reminds me more of barleywines and some quads more so than what I would expect a double IPA to look like. The 1/2 finger head quickly fades and leaves a dark khaki film on top. The lacing is nice and is a continuous fluid swirl round my snifter.

S: I'm guessing this is not at its peak of freshness and is probably 3+ months after its bottling date. That said, I am getting a lot of sweet malt aromas and not so many hop smells. Sweet raisin and fig jumps out at first sniff, as well as other dark fruits- plum, pomegranate, etc. Some sweeter citrus in the form of tangerine and blood oranges are also available. Brown sugar and donut glaze and a hearty grain breadiness grip my palate, as well.

T: Thankfully, I receive a decent dose of piney hops to balance out the hefty maltbill that I detected in the smell. A good citrus and pine bitterness sizzles on the sides of my tongue as the sweet malt flavors soak into the rest of my mouth. The yeast lends a chewy breadiness of whole grains to round out the taste. Surprisingly, the alcohol content is not overpowering. This is 13.6%, right?

M: As I ponder the MF, I realize that the a.b.v. does stand up and say hello. The bitterness on the sides of my tongue carries some boozy heat with it, but this only enhances the feel. A pretty full feel for the style and I do enjoy that hop/booze sizzle.

D: I would have another, and would love to imbibe one at the peak of its freshness to see if the hops are more present. However, I am nearing the end of an hour session with this beer and the a.b.v. is starting to get to me. Overall, a nice double IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Review #666. 12oz green wax topped bottle with a creepy wizard tree on the label. After taking a good few minutes to pry through the wax, the cap comes off and the beer pours into my glass a deep, somewhat hazy amber orange...quite dark. A small bubbly head on top but I didn't expect much more given the abv. Aromas are forceful with a blast of dense caramel, boozy dark fruits and a touch of brown sugar. Huge hop oils with big citric aromas. Grapefruit and pine needles. Freakin intense!

First sip brings a rush of deep caramel maltiness that carries a nice sweetness as well. Notes of alcohol, dark fruits and a touch of brown sugar. This flows into a blast of hoppiness. Oily, citric grapefruity flavors along with big dripping pine sap. This brew is freakin dense and really does pack a punch. The bitterness on the finish works nicely against the sweetness. Good malt and hop balance here for such a big brew. Yummy stuff!

Mouthfeel is big and viscous, with a mellow smoothed out carbonation. It packs a punch but still ends up going down pretty smooth. A huge brew that I'm happy to have tried. I hope to grab another 4 pack of this next time I see it. I dunno if I could drink more than one in a sitting but it's sure a tasty treat every now and again. Yet another tasty brew from Dark Horse.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

From hoppymeal...

Nice green wax coating on the cap, one wax running trails down to the label...a nice touch...

Poured with a little glug action, came out a caramel color. Some haze and lots of floaties. I didn't mean to fully dump the yeast into my glass, but oh well. Actually had some off-white head on it which clings slightly to my glass.

Aroma makes it to my nose from 3 ft away. Citrus, raw herbal and earthy hops rise forth from my pint glass. A little caramel, sugary sweetness mixes in as well.

Flavor lacks complexity in my opinion, but has some strong points which makes this receive a good rating. A strong malt background really is working its ass off to balance the bitterness in this and actually comes across well balanced. Some yeast roll malts, not the typical caramel sweet, is first noticed. Citrus rind and an earthy, peat hop profile blends fairly well. Thats about it though. Finish is definately bitter, but enjoyable in that burn the back of your throat kind of way. Alcohol...there is no hint AT ALL of what is actually in here and this is where the taste rating comes up a bit. Simple overall flavor profile but well done.

Full bodied here. This is probably from all of the malts needed to balance the bitterness, but it makes for a filling DIPA. Drinkability is fairly good. I'd like to see some more hop flavors come through to bump up the complexity and accompany the bitterness. I will say the alcohol presence, or lack thereof, is not bringing the drinkability down. This is a heavy hitter of a beer...I'm really feelin' this one...

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A_Pours a dark bronze with a thick off white head the dissipates to a thick ring. Darkest DIPA or any other kind of IPA for that matter I,ve ever seen.

S_ Huge hop smell. Picking up some caramel malt and brown sugar.

T_ Strong grapefruit and floral hops upfront.Nice malt body to back it up but the hops take center stage.Has a touch of brown sugar that gives it a little sweetness. Really nice.

M_Smooth and coats the mouth.Thick but not too heavy.

D_Unbelievably easy to drink for over 13% ABV.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks MinnesotaRyan! Thrown in as extra in IP trade when I was in Minneapolis.
Pours cloudy with off-white head into nonic. One finger head. Clings to glass with no discernible pattern.
Floaties. LOTS of floaties. Obviously unfiltered.
Nose: boozy. Incredibly boozy.
Taste: boozy. Incredibly boozy. Hops? They're there but they are hidden by the booze. I like booze as much as the next guy but in an IIPA it would be nice if it was mellowed down a little IMO.
I like what the yeast adds to the mix of flavors. Mixes well to tame the booze. Overall, a very fun beer.
Aftertaste leaves a citrusy tang in the back of the palette hinting at the hops I should have tasted up front.
Would seek out if I get the chance.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to an unknown saint for giving me a taste of this at the Dark Lord release, and thanks to hoppymeal for trading it to me. The combination hop and alcohol nearly spun my nose around when I took my first whiff. Beautiful pine hop,riding a wave of ethanol,cloudy amber orange color,huge hop citrus dominating taste,a sticky sweet malt try unsuccessfully to balance it and an everpresent huge alcohol taste. An absolutely wonderful hoppy sipping brew,a little more alcohol then I remember in my first taste,but I'm already working out a trade for more

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company