Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005

Reviews: 893 | Hads: 2,616
Reviews by Thurgoft:
4.21/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no freshness date into a Duvel tulip.

DCT pours a very pretty bright hazy orange-amber with a good 1.5" off white head that sticks around. Moderate lacing on the glass as well.

Nose is super hoppy and sweet. Tropical aromas as well as candied citrus fruits up front. Very sharp fruitiness with a bit of alcohol as well. A little caramelly malt reveals itself as the beer warms. Really excellent smelling beer that wowed me as soon as I opened the bottle. Far more complexity in the nose than your typical (or even above typical) DIPA.

First sip: Holy COW is this bitter! I consider myself a hophead and have had a good number of IPAs and DIPAs but this one really floored me with the bitterness. Once you get past the bitterness the sweet hoppy flavors come out. Suggestions of orange meld with slightly caramelly malts. Not really picking up any heat but the alcohol can be tasted on the back of the tongue. As it warms the malt over takes the hops a fair bit but still remains balanced. Super long, super bitter finish.

Very smooth, mouthfeel almost to the point of creaminess. Not too heavy on the tongue and has an almost perfect amount of carbonation to keep this 12%er surprisingly refreshing.

Overall quite liked this beer. I've read about people aging it but I think I'll drink my other 3 as fresh as possible.

3.47/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle dated 1/23/15

Looks as beautiful as all of the pics I have seen. A big reason I grabbed a 4 pack at $16. A deep, hazy ruby orange with a slightly off-white head.

Smells of strong alcohol, sweet caramel malts, pine and floral hops all in that order to me.

The alcohol really comes through in the taste. I am shocked by the reviews that say it is hidden. I would swear it was 15%+. Also rock candy like sugars, some citrus hops that I didnt notice in the aroma, still some piney flavor along with bitterness and nostril burn toward the end.

Nice thicker bodied beer with a slick resin feel, but finishes very harsh. Average carbonation.

Overall, most of the good qualities of this beer are squashed by boozyness. I can probably list 2 dozen beers that are at this ABV or higher that don't taste/feel anywhere close. It may be one of few ipas that will improve with cellaring. I have 3 more, so I am going to find out.

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

just amazed to see this one rated as highly as it is. so average to me, and in the big ipa realm, it just doesnt stack up. its a malt bomb, sugary and strong for no reason, its more of an imperial amber than it is an ipa, balanced out the wrong way by a big sugary malt build, and not hoppy enough to overcome that, it just seems sloppy, and almost cheap and half assed for a brewery that has help my attention now for a little while. its hazy and thick, and although very well carbonated and creamy feeling, its not as dynamic as it should be, muted in hop nose and taste, and sweet to a level that limits its drinkabilty to half a beer. the booze is a few percentage points too high, makes no sense and just doesnt fit, and while it doesnt have off flavors and rough edges, its a pretty weird beer to trumpet as world class, especially with this many reviews. am i wrong to ask for a dry and more hop driven brew in this category? i think not. not bad at all, but as an imperial ipa its pretty woeful. sweet and grainy, strange, unflattering, forgettable.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Here's the closer, the palate killer and perhaps my nightcap. Its one of my favorite styles but it look like Dark Horse is trying to take this style to another level which I like. The bottle is waxed on the top, a strong wax it is so make sure to take care with the sharp blades and such trying to pop this one, I opted for a bit of flame and then cut away the wax. Huge tan foam from a quick cascading session of bubbles form a hard pour. The head retention is surprisingly excellent, some beers with super high alcohol levels tend to loose their head quick but this one doesn't. Clear reddish amber color. Oh yeah, there it is ... the pungent mix of higher alcohols and lots of hop resin in the nose. Thick semi-syrupy body with a long drawn out smoothness and creamy backing. The alcohol is a little hot but not overbearing with more warmth in the back of the mouth and throat with each sip. Maltiness is given a hall pass upfront with a quick running of caramel and graham cracker crust but then the hops take over the show. Bitterness spreads far and wide and eventually engulfs all taste as I know it. Oddly there is not this devastating sharpness that would have killed the drinkability, not balance but more of knowing when enough is enough. Flavors of blood orange, pineapple, tobacco, grapefruit rind and caramel form in the finish. A bitter finish but some of that malt sweetness does leak from the wall of hop bitterness.

One of the most drinkable and pleasant higher alcohol (12% abv+) Double IPAs that I have tasted ever. I'm loving this hop fix.

3.54/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: deep orange color. Fairly hazy and near opaque. A small off white head that fades to nothing.

Smell: citrus and pine hops blended with sweet crystal malts. Smells more sweet than hoppy.

Taste: lots of hops. Resin, citrus, light pine, floral. Little to no malt taste.

Mouthfeel: strong bitterness that lingers for a long time. Fairly light and no alcohol for 13%

Overall: a good dipa but left way behind by all the competition in my opinion. Also way off at on the price point.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

From notes on 3/25/14

On tap at the brewery while walking through the tour. Excellent beer. Wow could this easily sneak up on you at over 13% ABV. Sure doesn't taste like that. Love the cloudy body of this beer. Aroma is very hoppy. Taste is hop forward. Nice and citrusy flavors. Great malt backbone. Decided to visit Dark Horse on my way up to the KBS release in Grand Rapids and was very pleasantly surprised. Great beers, starting with this one.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Too malt forward for my taste. I get a very sweet knose with hints of caramel. Those sweet smells come out in the tase. Not enough resiny pine and citrus notes.

3.38/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a nearly opaque light copper with a little white head.
S: It smelled like sugary figs and candied cherries and faint copper and butter scotch.
T: It tasted like candied apricots and herbal hops, with some artificial strawberry and unripe pineapple. It had a somewhat clean sugary aftertaste with lingering bitterness.
M: It was thick and chewy with a little carbonation. Very full body.
D: This was not nearly as good as I expected. The scent and taste were super sweet with little bitterness. The body was over the top, and the finish was a little harsh. So it wasn't easy to drink. I'm not impressed at all.

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured a deep hazed burnt orange with a very nice established one finger head that really stuck to the glass leaving a sheet of lace behind stupid me I poured kinda harsh letting all the chunks and floaties swirl about in the finish pour.Wholy shneikies is this thing fresh smelling like freshly and I means freshly mown grassover top pine neadles with a touch of hay just awesome.Quite dry on the palate not much residual sweetness that comes from alot of dipa's big and herbal with damp leaves that come to mind the malt base is more like that of cracker malt quite dry.Thick,resiny and chewey with a more noticable apricot-like flavor in the finish as I drink more.This has alot of complexities going on the alcohol comes as you drink more providing sweetness,a fine offering.Pure and simple its hop juice.

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Well, this is... interesting. A big chunk of... something... just poured into my beverage and broke apart into sediment, which seems to be settling at the bottom of my glass. Poured a deep orange with about a finger-width of a white foam that's leaving a little lacing along the side. Lots and lots of bubbles in this one.

Smell: Lots of pine-sol in this one. A small bit of grapefruitish notes, too.

Taste: After watching that chunk of whatever come out of the bottle and into my glass, I'm gonna let the foam subside first. I'd like to see if there's anything still floating on top, you know? **5 minutes later** Yeah, this is nice. Pine and citrusy. Some malt notes. Don't taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Not the heaviest double IPA I've ever had. A little creamy and bitter on the finish, but not a bad thing necessarily.

Overall: Pretty good. Still a little puzzled about the big chunk o' stuff that poured out. I reserve the right to revise this if I feel ill from any particles later.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

3.75/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -7.5%

Reviewed from notes on 7/6/10.

A: Wow, this is a lot darker than I thought it would be. The color is an attractive ruby-red and copper. It reminds me more of barleywines and some quads more so than what I would expect a double IPA to look like. The 1/2 finger head quickly fades and leaves a dark khaki film on top. The lacing is nice and is a continuous fluid swirl round my snifter.

S: I'm guessing this is not at its peak of freshness and is probably 3+ months after its bottling date. That said, I am getting a lot of sweet malt aromas and not so many hop smells. Sweet raisin and fig jumps out at first sniff, as well as other dark fruits- plum, pomegranate, etc. Some sweeter citrus in the form of tangerine and blood oranges are also available. Brown sugar and donut glaze and a hearty grain breadiness grip my palate, as well.

T: Thankfully, I receive a decent dose of piney hops to balance out the hefty maltbill that I detected in the smell. A good citrus and pine bitterness sizzles on the sides of my tongue as the sweet malt flavors soak into the rest of my mouth. The yeast lends a chewy breadiness of whole grains to round out the taste. Surprisingly, the alcohol content is not overpowering. This is 13.6%, right?

M: As I ponder the MF, I realize that the a.b.v. does stand up and say hello. The bitterness on the sides of my tongue carries some boozy heat with it, but this only enhances the feel. A pretty full feel for the style and I do enjoy that hop/booze sizzle.

D: I would have another, and would love to imbibe one at the peak of its freshness to see if the hops are more present. However, I am nearing the end of an hour session with this beer and the a.b.v. is starting to get to me. Overall, a nice double IPA.

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

Review #666. 12oz green wax topped bottle with a creepy wizard tree on the label. After taking a good few minutes to pry through the wax, the cap comes off and the beer pours into my glass a deep, somewhat hazy amber orange...quite dark. A small bubbly head on top but I didn't expect much more given the abv. Aromas are forceful with a blast of dense caramel, boozy dark fruits and a touch of brown sugar. Huge hop oils with big citric aromas. Grapefruit and pine needles. Freakin intense!

First sip brings a rush of deep caramel maltiness that carries a nice sweetness as well. Notes of alcohol, dark fruits and a touch of brown sugar. This flows into a blast of hoppiness. Oily, citric grapefruity flavors along with big dripping pine sap. This brew is freakin dense and really does pack a punch. The bitterness on the finish works nicely against the sweetness. Good malt and hop balance here for such a big brew. Yummy stuff!

Mouthfeel is big and viscous, with a mellow smoothed out carbonation. It packs a punch but still ends up going down pretty smooth. A huge brew that I'm happy to have tried. I hope to grab another 4 pack of this next time I see it. I dunno if I could drink more than one in a sitting but it's sure a tasty treat every now and again. Yet another tasty brew from Dark Horse.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

From hoppymeal...

Nice green wax coating on the cap, one wax running trails down to the label...a nice touch...

Poured with a little glug action, came out a caramel color. Some haze and lots of floaties. I didn't mean to fully dump the yeast into my glass, but oh well. Actually had some off-white head on it which clings slightly to my glass.

Aroma makes it to my nose from 3 ft away. Citrus, raw herbal and earthy hops rise forth from my pint glass. A little caramel, sugary sweetness mixes in as well.

Flavor lacks complexity in my opinion, but has some strong points which makes this receive a good rating. A strong malt background really is working its ass off to balance the bitterness in this and actually comes across well balanced. Some yeast roll malts, not the typical caramel sweet, is first noticed. Citrus rind and an earthy, peat hop profile blends fairly well. Thats about it though. Finish is definately bitter, but enjoyable in that burn the back of your throat kind of way. Alcohol...there is no hint AT ALL of what is actually in here and this is where the taste rating comes up a bit. Simple overall flavor profile but well done.

Full bodied here. This is probably from all of the malts needed to balance the bitterness, but it makes for a filling DIPA. Drinkability is fairly good. I'd like to see some more hop flavors come through to bump up the complexity and accompany the bitterness. I will say the alcohol presence, or lack thereof, is not bringing the drinkability down. This is a heavy hitter of a beer...I'm really feelin' this one...

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A_Pours a dark bronze with a thick off white head the dissipates to a thick ring. Darkest DIPA or any other kind of IPA for that matter I,ve ever seen.

S_ Huge hop smell. Picking up some caramel malt and brown sugar.

T_ Strong grapefruit and floral hops upfront.Nice malt body to back it up but the hops take center stage.Has a touch of brown sugar that gives it a little sweetness. Really nice.

M_Smooth and coats the mouth.Thick but not too heavy.

D_Unbelievably easy to drink for over 13% ABV.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company