Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 893 | Hads: 2,616
1.38/5  rDev -66.5%

I wanted this to be terrific but sadly it was abysmal.

I'm guessing the bottle was old because the taste was pure malt with a small note of hop flavor.

I will never drink this beer again. I wish I could at least suggest attempting a bottle or draft but I am highly apprehensive.

I may have lost complete faith in dark horse as a result of this one.

The bourbon barrell plead the fifth I had before this pushed my thoughts to the brink. This might have tipped me over.

1.5/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yuck. From the putrid dirty brown color to the obnoxious sweet prune nose this has to be one of the worst brews I have had. Nothing going on here from the beginning. It only got worse as I gave it time, baked raisins, chuncky white floaties in a brown liquid, no thanks.

2.14/5  rDev -48.1%

Dark amber with a touch of off white head.

Smells of intense sweet malt and some faded hops.

Tastes of... the same. Lots of sweet malt and some confused hops in the background.

Mouthfeel is thick with low carbonation.

Super underwhelming beer... not a big fan.

2.47/5  rDev -40%

Pours a bright gold color, a bit hazy, and with a nice white head.

Aromas are off, and seem funky. Smells sweet, vegetal, sour, and with a touch of citrus. This seems really off for a DIPA.

Taste isn't right. This tastes mostly like grounded up aspirin tablets. Really gritty, biting, and bitter... with not much else going on. There is a bit of citrus hops, but not much in the way of malts. Really doesn't sit well in my mouth. I don't really care for this one. Bad bottle? Too old?

Mouthfeel is ok, but this is not really something I want lingering in my mouth for very long.

Drinkability is below average. One of the worst DIPAs I have had. I don't think it's a very good beer, it just seems like the brewer went big, and didn't think much about the taste. This is like swallowing a bitter pill... no thanks. I can think of countless other beers in this style that I prefer to this one.

I do appreciate that brandonman63 gave me the opportunity to try this...

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

A Februrary-seasonal DIPA still on shelves in June? Rated 4+ in the BA database? Something here is both so right and so wrong at the same time.

A: Red amber with a persistent, sudsy head. Intimidating in its stillness.

S: Lots of malt and alcohol with a hint of conifer at the finish.

T: A generous alcohol warming across the front of the tongue--it is strong in its residue as well--and a big hop finish in aroma and flavor. Pine scents and tastes fill the back of my tongue and obliterate the alcohol flavors. Despite this brew's ABV, there's not enough malt flavor for it to be a barleywine. It's a hop show from middle to finish.

M: Heavy and burning, with distinct alcohol flavors and residues. Imbalanced and hard to swallow given the forwardness of the flavors.

D: Low, given the fusel character of this brew. It lacks the balance of a great DIPA, which would have a more pronounced malt flavor and a better controled alcohol residue.

Overall, this is an imbalanced example of a DIPA with too forward a hop presence and not enough malt to back up its immaturity. I'll cellar a few bottles and see if things mellow out with another two years. Until then, stick to other DIPAs.

2.68/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured a very deep and hazy amber color, with some notable sediment evident in the bottom of the glass. No real carbonation to speak of and this go along with the head as well. There was just not any at all. It poured rather lifeless into the glass and just kind of sat there looking dull. No side glass lace at all, not really impressive on the look here to be quite honest.

S - Aroma was highly charged with the whiff of alcohol. Just overpowering and brutal would be two very good words to describe it. Once you get past this it was a full on assault of hard bitter pine hops. Nothing at all in the balance here, this one was just all about the IBU and ABV apparently, well at least upon the nose that is.

T - The flavor was about as harsh, bitter, and astringent as you can get. This one just totally started to kick your but from the very first sip. A total tongue eraser would be a good way to put it. Tons of ABV from the first sip, very harsh and a really all too noticeable presence there. The hops were not overly flavorful, but rather a harsh mixture which just seemed to try to batter you more then anything else. A really just a massive quantity of bitterness and abv. Nothing else really to say as far as that.

M - Feel was very dull, again and rather lifeless. Just no real body of depth to it... It had a slick feel with no carbonation what so ever. Did not feel overly thick or thin, but rather was just completely lifeless and boring would be the best way to describe. Again not really thrilled here.

D - Almost none really. It was almost too much to be a sipper. Now I am a fan of big doubles, but this was too much even for me. Just nothing really redeeming about it. Too much of everything and not enough life just is a bad combo.

Overall I will pass; this was not even worth a novelty look as far as I am concerned. It was just an overdone double that had too much emphasis put on blowing away taste buds and jacking up the ABV. Maybe I got a bad bottle, I don't know, but this was not really as enjoyable as I would have liked. Too big for its own good would be the best way to describe it. I tried it, and I have had worse, but I have had much, much better. Overall I will pass and wait for the next round. I guess it might be good to try, hopefully just a flat bottle, but defiantly unimpressed and completely under whelmed. Now the bottle, top notch, awesome graphics and a wax seal, both very nice touchs, however I just wish what was inside could have lived up to how good it looked outside.

2.76/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Figured that I would try this on tap before I went out and splurged on a case. Poured into a snifter at TJ's.

The color is a beautiful deep rich ruby with hues of copper infused with rust around the edges. The head is about a half-finger thick, and there is a slight amount of lacing, as well as some spotty gobs that stick to the edges of the glass upon a swirl.

The most notable characteristics of the nose are the prominent citrus and grassy hops. There is no pine to be found. However, the bitterness that I expect is not there. The palate brings on an almost noble hop-like earthiness and grassy character. Again the bitterness is muted. I get an almost vodka-like astringent grainy alcohol flavor that takes all of my focus away from the beer. I can't get past it. This 13.6% tastes closer to 30. I can't make out any malts aside from the grains that contribute to the boozy flavor.

Somewhat smooth, but relatively harsh on the palate, even for a DIPA. I am used to having my palate thrashed, but that is by bitterness, not because of the overwhelming alcohol flavors. I couldn't even finish the whole snifter's pour. There are much better and well-balanced double IPAs out there. Seek them out and exhaust those options before you pursue this one, unless you just want a fast buzz.

2.8/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a rusty color with a small head

S: Booze, Earthy and caramel

T: Big and chewy. Malt heavy yes, hop heavy no. Loads of caramel and heat. Faded hops?

M: Big body but off balanced

O: Perhaps this beer was outdated as well. Pass on this one

2.82/5  rDev -31.6%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass. A generous extra from chcfan. Thanks!

A: Pours a murky mahogany color with amber highlights. It's pretty dark for a DIPA. The head is small and short-lived, consisting of large bubbles that vanish with no trace.

S: Like smelling a big juicy grapefruit embedded in pine needles. Some floral notes as well. Definitely banana in the nose. Not as pungent as I would like, but quite a good aroma.

T: Quite a lot going on, both hop- and malt-wise. Hops are present in abundant citrus quantities: grapefruit and orange, with a slight tang from lime flavors. I detect some banana and possibly berry as well -- very interesting. Lots of toast and caramel malt, too. Not my favorite approach to a DIPA flavor; its huge sweetness is a off-putting. But it's fairly good.

M: Medium bodied, with slightly light carbonation that makes it feel smooth. Works well for a brew of this gravity. But it has a harsh, sugar-burn sting at the finish.

D: I don't quite get the love people have for it; maybe if it's uber-fresh it is a winner, but if the hops fade even a little bit, it starts to taste like a barleywine. Not my style.

2.82/5  rDev -31.6%

Got this from Alexander. Was supposed to wait until the DIPA tasting at the end of the month, but I was a bad boy and jumped the gun.

Poured at refrigerator temp into tulip glasses.

A: Very dense golden toward copper color. Not much head formation or carbonation.

S: Does not smell like an IPA. Smells like a barleywine to me. Sweeter and less hops than it should have.

T: Tastes like it smells. Both hops and sweet malt vying for your attention. Also, the ABV lets you know it is there right away. I am again much more reminded of barleywine than DIPA.

M: Creamy and nice. Decent carbonation keeps it from sticking to you.

D: A sipper to be sure.

When I think of DIPA, I go to Pliny the Elder, Dreadnaught, Hopslam and Arctic Panzer Wolf. Those are a varied bunch to be sure, but they all fit the style guidelines. This one does not seem to be able to squeeze in there to me.

2.83/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde Tulip

Cloudy, Dark Copper Color. Tan head quickly dissipates to a collar with wisps of foam. Too dark for the style, me thinks.

Very Malty! Where are the hops? They are there in the background but overwhelmed by malt. That seems to be a flaw. There is a very yeasty character in the nose, not too pleasant.

The malt pushes the hops away. The bitterness is a bit raw, not refined at all. I feel like it's very one dimensional. This style demands layers of complexity that are not apparent to me.

Medium body. Sticky sweet, with medium carbonation.

I'm not feelin' it. My expectations for the style are quite high based on the stellar examples that are widely available. I would not seek this out again, especially at the $15/4pk price point. Overhyped? I think so. They do a fine job with the Stouts. This is disappointing. If this was marketed as a Barleywine then the rating would be much better. In fact it's a pretty decent BW if it ages another year or so.

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%

Weird DIPA, but some would argue the style and call it a Barleywine, i can't decide what it is.

Pours very dark amber , almost like dark cherry colored, with a very thin cap that dissapates.

Aroma has some citrus but also a sweetness involved too, and the citrus isnt a sharp citrus either, just a complimenting note.

Sweetness up front, its not till the end that the bitterness comes around, there is a hop profile present the whole time but it grows. Upfront there are dark cherry and pomegranite flavors playing out with the sweetness.

Mouthfeel has light carbination with a oily mouthfeel.

average drinkability, perhaps slightly below average considering alcohol and lack of carbination.

2.94/5  rDev -28.6%

Double Crooked Tree, vintage 2011

Served in DFH signature glass

A: Pours murky light amber-brown with a modest off-white head. Honestly, this beer looks like iced tea.

S:  Smells a bit like iced tea, too. Some vague tropical fruits, as well as wood, peach, earth, and caramel.

T: Sweet maltiness up front, with caramel and golden raisins. Caramel is quite pronounced, as is alcohol. Hops and high bitterness take over. Again, the hops are expressed with notes of vague tropical fruits, peach and woodiness. They also add some pine/resin to taste. Finish is raisin-y and and bitter. Taste has dulled substantially in 4 months and has taken on a bit of a wax and honey character.

M: Heavy body and light carbonation translates into a slick, mouthcoating feel. Seriously warms from lips to stomach. Not as enamel ripping as I recall.

O: More evidence that my palate has shifted in terms if hoppy beers.  DCT endures the paradigm shift relatively well. I think the beer is now in a bit of a valley. I will probably revisit my three-year vertical in early fall.

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

12 oz into snifter

A- Deep orange, cloudy, floaties
S- Mostly sweet, somewhat floral, not that hoppy of a smell
T- Very sweet, roasty, almost smokey, some red fruit, not a ton of hops
M- Very thick, little carbonation
O- Not impressed. Very sweet, not much hops, not much of a DIPA to be honest. Full disclosure, I have no idea how old this bottle is because they don't date their bottles, I suspect about 6 weeks old.

2.96/5  rDev -28.2%

A: Gentle pour to retain yeast. A wisp of white head remains. Crimson red liquid is pretty, but I'd like more head.
S: Booze, some hops, toffee, wet cardboard. Too boozy, off aroma detract.
T: Dried fruit sweetness with a slightly port-like flavor. Not terribly bitter which is surprising for a beer with 98 IBUs. Decent, but skews too boozy and malty. I'd like more hop flavor and aroma. Alcohol is too strong, flavor is very much like a barleywine.
M: Lands a bit flat. Warm but not hot. Syrupy.
D: I wouldn't order or buy this again. I love DIPAs, but I prefer them to be uber-hoppy rather than barleywines in DIPA clothing.

2.97/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance - Pours awesome for a 13 percent beer, great white head, golden orange, awesome carbonation from the bottom of the glass

Smell - What the hell!! all malts, sweet sugar and alcohol, no hops whatsoever.

Taste - Same, this is all sugar, alcohol, malts with a TOUCH of hops, this is no IPA whatsoever, this is a gross barley wine. The label says it will age well and i tend to agree, but I'm not a fan.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and smooth, sticks to the cheeks but i dont want it to. Appearance and mouthfeel stick out on this one, but what does that say about this one?

Overall - Trying too hard to be 120 but failing, this thing is not good to me and I'm pairing it with some excellent cheese. Dont call this a damn IPA if there are barely any hops to detect at all. MALT BOMB, ALCOHOL BOMB ... beware.

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%

Awesome extra courtesy of recent swap with Stewmeister91.

Pours a very dark copper, nearing amber/mahogany. Definite reddish hues with single-finger cream-colored head which quickly dissipates leaving ample lacing.

Aromas are quite herbal and dank to say the least. Lots of floral hops here with lesser but substantial amounts of earthy and pine hops as well. Malts try to make any appearance and assert themselves but only a slight sweetness is detectable and that could be from a slight citrus hoppiness. A little too green for my liking.

The tastes begin with a nice subtle pale bready maltiness which is soon overcome by the copious amounts of floral and pine hops flavors. This is seriously dank; the second more resinous beer I have every had (sampled Founders Devil Dancer this past weekend, ironically, which was undrinkable...) Can't really taste anything past the greenery here so there's no need to mention anything else.

The mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. It definitely hides the 13%+ abv quite well, but unfortunately does not help to balance out the ridiculously unbalanced bitter/floral/resiny mess that is this beer. This is a classic example of hops-gone-wild. Finish is sticky and resiny and too unbalanced to actually enjoy this beer.

Overall, just no. Far too much sticky, dank, floral, herbal hops. This beer is like hops mixed with potpourri and really seems more of a gimmick than an actual beer. I really hope this 100+ IBU craze dies sooner rather than later...

10 oz pour at Stub's

Peachy and very hazy. Smells muddled and borderline yucky from "too many things going on" and none of them nice. Taste is better... lot of sweet malt balanced by bitterness but this is kinda neither here, nor there: too sweet for a DIPA and not nearly as complex as a barleywine. Mouthfeel is fine but there's an alcohol burn to this... having had much better DIPAs and beers in general, this is very pedestrian to me.

3.02/5  rDev -26.7%

Bottle only lists 98 IBU's, no freshness/bottling date or abv listed. After tasting I'm not surprised to login to see that it clocks in at a 13.6%. Guess I was expecting less though considering this is available in OH... that, or this site has outdated info.

Label would be interesting if it was just the tree, the scrit layered on top makes this one ugly looking beer label.

Poured into a snifter, bright ruby/honey color. Clear, almost no head and very little lacing.

Smells of bitter hops, and alcohol. It's got a sweetness, but I'll attribute it to the abv or malt, it's not citrusy or fruity as if it were imparted by the hops.

Tastes bitter up front, not sure if it tastes a full 98 though. Then you get some alcohol burn in the bottom of your throat, followed by strong sweetness and caramel malts, followed by more alcohol sting on the tongue and throat. This tastes more like a hoppy barleywine and less of a DIPA.

Medium bodied with almost no carbonation. Sticky coating left inside the mouth, I need a glass of water.

This beer is very boozy to the point that it's boozy to be boozy. It doesn't compliment the beer and makes it tough to drink. After all the hype when this was released earlier this year I'm now glad I found a single (seemingly illegally) for $3.99 rather than paying $15.99 or whatever it was for a 4-pack. Not impressed here.

3.04/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle, thanks Blake, to a La Fin du Monde tulip. No freshness date.

Pours a medium brown with a slight amber tint. Very dark DIPA here, hard to see though but doesn’t appear to cloudy or hazy. 3 inch light tan head that slowly dissipates to a cap and ring of foamy head. The lacing left behind is pretty good.

Deep malty notes in the smell, smells like a barleywine. Caramel, malt, slight alcohol and slight pine hoppiness. Again, the taste is barleywine-like. Fairly hot, big caramel and barley up front, roasted malt, almost coffee-like aftertaste, but it has a very nice level of bitterness. Low carbonation and a very full body as expected. Carbonation is nice but it is very thick and not very drinkable.

Kind of wish I had sat on this one for a while. As far as ageable DIPAs go this is one of the best I’ve had, kills 120 and other DFH, in my opinion. I guess I just don't like this style of IPAs so, for me, this one missed the mark, but I couldn't justify scoring it any lower.

3.06/5  rDev -25.7%

12oz bottle picked up at Food and Friends in Philly.

Pours a very cloudy and dark ruby/orange color that's almost brown with deep, dark burnt orange edges when held to a light and a one finger frothy off-white head. Decent retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves large streaks of soapy lacing behind.

Sweet boozy aroma with a stronger malt presence than expected and a boatload of earthy pine and sweet citrus hops. Hints of floral hoppy pine needle along with some grapefruit and orange peel. Lots of sweet malt in the nose with hints of caramel, biscuit and rye. The high ABV results in it smelling overly boozy, overpowering the hop presence a bit too much for my liking.

Full bodied with a blast of bitter earthy hops up front that linger throughout over the sweet boozy and malty body into a bitter dry finish. Dry resinous pine needle flavor that is slightly sticky and oily. Very little citrus/sweetness making the hop profile one dimensional. The malt character is very prominent providing sweetness which is complimented by the boozy heat. Hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, nut and rye. Well balanced but I'm here for the hops. Although there is significant heat, the ABV is pretty well masked considering the beer's strength making it pretty drinkable.

Overall, this beer was decent but is unnecessarily hot and malty. Sure it's well balanced and easy to drink but the hop flavor is constantly being battled throughout. The hops should be the star in an IPA not just another flavor. Seems more like a hoppy American barleywine.

3.1/5  rDev -24.8%

From notes. A clear amber color with a thin head that quickly faded. Pine and grass in the aroma which was rather flat. Lots of malt sweetness and pine/grass hops bitterness in the flavor. The bitterness lingers a little but not too bad considering how bitter while drinking. The alcohol is hidden pretty well for such a big beer. Nothing bad about this beer, but nothing really stood out either.

3.13/5  rDev -24%

I got this beer from my recent BIF, thank you very much. Poured into a snifter at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A light tan copper head that is one finger and is bubbly and foamy with some retention. The color of the beer is a medium dark tan with coppers hues. The clarity of the beer is hazy. The head is leaving some lacing on the glass.

Nose: A mellow hop aroma of fruity esters and wood. The hops are grapefruit, orange lemon, pine, and floral bouquet. The malt is subtle sweetness, with toastiness, biscuit, and some yeast. There are some phenols and solvent characters.

Taste: A malt forward DIPA, this beer is more like a barleywine. There is an okay amount of hops. Nothing special. The hops are subtle. The hop flavors are orange, lemon, pine, and floral bouquet. The malt is sweet, yeast, biscuit, pine, and yeasty. The high alcohol is masked very well by the malt.

The mouth feel is coating, slightly dry, and a touch of astringency.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium. This beer is going to get low marks because it just doesn't fit the DIPA category. It is a poor IPA. I am disappointed. I have had other Dark Horse Brews and they were better.

3.13/5  rDev -24%

$3.50 single from Abe's.

Dark orange, dense haze, topped by three fingers of oatmeal colored level dense foam. No lace.

Aroma heavy with bread, supported by pine, and some citrus. Hint of alcohol.

Bread and caramel foundation. Fruity middle, darkish, mild bitterness. Late alcohol burn in the belly.

Good medium mouthfeel.

Overall seems more like a strong ale than a DIPA. Okay beer but a stylistic disappointment.

3.14/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Huge thanks to glazeman for this one! I've been looking forward to it for a long time. It's about time for another tasting of sorts...

I have to begin by commenting that, in my opinion, this is a barleywine, not a DIPA. I know there's a lot of debate regarding whether to review a beer in the category in which it is listed versus reviewing a beer in the category that you think it belongs, but as far as that argument goes, I will be reviewing this beer as a barleywine.

A - Nice looking, but nothing special. Dark brown brew with a half finger off white head. No head retention, but excellent lacing.

S - Fresh out of the bottle, this one smells out of this world - a perfect combination of malts, pine hops, and big juicy citrus hops. Just outstanding. As it warms however, it is all booze and sugar, typical of many barleywines.

T - Things sort of fall apart here. I get sweet, sugary malts. And that's about it. Sure there are a few random hops that come up at the very finish, but all in all, the taste on this one is all sugar and booze. Pretty disappointing.

M - Perfect for a huge ABV barleywine - thick, sticky, chewy, and minimally carbonated. Wonderful mouthfeel.

D - Due to the imbalanced sweetness in the taste and alcohol burn, this beer is not very drinkable.

After noticing that my rDev for this review was nearly negative 30%, I think this one deserves an explanation. To really be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of barleywines. I'm much, much more of a DIPA guy - DIPAs with balance, malt backbone, and fresh, explosive, citrus hops. But whether this one is a DIPA or a barleywine, either way it is just too sweet for me.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company