Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
jomobono

05-14-2012 01:07:10 | More by jomobono
Hawkeye1113

04-10-2012 08:56:22 | More by Hawkeye1113
Weidman26

1.38/5  rDev -66.8%

I wanted this to be terrific but sadly it was abysmal.

I'm guessing the bottle was old because the taste was pure malt with a small note of hop flavor.

I will never drink this beer again. I wish I could at least suggest attempting a bottle or draft but I am highly apprehensive.

I may have lost complete faith in dark horse as a result of this one.

The bourbon barrell plead the fifth I had before this pushed my thoughts to the brink. This might have tipped me over.

06-01-2012 05:46:29 | More by Weidman26
OTB

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yuck. From the putrid dirty brown color to the obnoxious sweet prune nose this has to be one of the worst brews I have had. Nothing going on here from the beginning. It only got worse as I gave it time, baked raisins, chuncky white floaties in a brown liquid, no thanks.

06-02-2012 18:30:55 | More by OTB

biercycle

04-08-2012 23:14:00 | More by biercycle
billshmeinke

2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Dark amber with a touch of off white head.

Smells of intense sweet malt and some faded hops.

Tastes of... the same. Lots of sweet malt and some confused hops in the background.

Mouthfeel is thick with low carbonation.

Super underwhelming beer... not a big fan.

11-14-2010 20:12:21 | More by billshmeinke
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.2/5  rDev -47.1%

First off, bad ass label! Poured into tulip and tasted directly after having enjoyed Crooked Tree.

A- Very hazy, almost opaque. Looks like dirty, rusty, filth water. Small head settles to a white ring quickly.

S- Very similar aroma as Crooked Tree, just tamed down a bit. Not as hoppy, still earthy. Malty and soapy aroma has me a, little worked.

T/M- Malt bomb... Wtf? Told this was fresh, but no way! Hot and carmelly. Not pleasant. There is a hop bitter ading in the tongue, but no supporting hop flavors to balance. Very slick and oily. Almost no perceived carbonation... Heavy and cloying.

O- Either this is not a great DIPA or waaay out dated. Hot and unpleasant. I was able to finish my glass (half bottle) but neither of us tasting this enjoyed it that much.

08-18-2011 18:47:51 | More by TheGordianKnot

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

06-08-2013 03:39:25 | More by TheBigBoy
flexabull

2.48/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours a bright gold color, a bit hazy, and with a nice white head.

Aromas are off, and seem funky. Smells sweet, vegetal, sour, and with a touch of citrus. This seems really off for a DIPA.

Taste isn't right. This tastes mostly like grounded up aspirin tablets. Really gritty, biting, and bitter... with not much else going on. There is a bit of citrus hops, but not much in the way of malts. Really doesn't sit well in my mouth. I don't really care for this one. Bad bottle? Too old?

Mouthfeel is ok, but this is not really something I want lingering in my mouth for very long.

Drinkability is below average. One of the worst DIPAs I have had. I don't think it's a very good beer, it just seems like the brewer went big, and didn't think much about the taste. This is like swallowing a bitter pill... no thanks. I can think of countless other beers in this style that I prefer to this one.

I do appreciate that brandonman63 gave me the opportunity to try this...

06-09-2007 05:46:07 | More by flexabull

sharpski

02-15-2012 21:06:42 | More by sharpski
benito

2.58/5  rDev -38%

A Februrary-seasonal DIPA still on shelves in June? Rated 4+ in the BA database? Something here is both so right and so wrong at the same time.

A: Red amber with a persistent, sudsy head. Intimidating in its stillness.

S: Lots of malt and alcohol with a hint of conifer at the finish.

T: A generous alcohol warming across the front of the tongue--it is strong in its residue as well--and a big hop finish in aroma and flavor. Pine scents and tastes fill the back of my tongue and obliterate the alcohol flavors. Despite this brew's ABV, there's not enough malt flavor for it to be a barleywine. It's a hop show from middle to finish.

M: Heavy and burning, with distinct alcohol flavors and residues. Imbalanced and hard to swallow given the forwardness of the flavors.

D: Low, given the fusel character of this brew. It lacks the balance of a great DIPA, which would have a more pronounced malt flavor and a better controled alcohol residue.

Overall, this is an imbalanced example of a DIPA with too forward a hop presence and not enough malt to back up its immaturity. I'll cellar a few bottles and see if things mellow out with another two years. Until then, stick to other DIPAs.

06-08-2007 03:08:06 | More by benito
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.65/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured a very deep and hazy amber color, with some notable sediment evident in the bottom of the glass. No real carbonation to speak of and this go along with the head as well. There was just not any at all. It poured rather lifeless into the glass and just kind of sat there looking dull. No side glass lace at all, not really impressive on the look here to be quite honest.

S - Aroma was highly charged with the whiff of alcohol. Just overpowering and brutal would be two very good words to describe it. Once you get past this it was a full on assault of hard bitter pine hops. Nothing at all in the balance here, this one was just all about the IBU and ABV apparently, well at least upon the nose that is.

T - The flavor was about as harsh, bitter, and astringent as you can get. This one just totally started to kick your but from the very first sip. A total tongue eraser would be a good way to put it. Tons of ABV from the first sip, very harsh and a really all too noticeable presence there. The hops were not overly flavorful, but rather a harsh mixture which just seemed to try to batter you more then anything else. A really just a massive quantity of bitterness and abv. Nothing else really to say as far as that.

M - Feel was very dull, again and rather lifeless. Just no real body of depth to it... It had a slick feel with no carbonation what so ever. Did not feel overly thick or thin, but rather was just completely lifeless and boring would be the best way to describe. Again not really thrilled here.

D - Almost none really. It was almost too much to be a sipper. Now I am a fan of big doubles, but this was too much even for me. Just nothing really redeeming about it. Too much of everything and not enough life just is a bad combo.

Overall I will pass; this was not even worth a novelty look as far as I am concerned. It was just an overdone double that had too much emphasis put on blowing away taste buds and jacking up the ABV. Maybe I got a bad bottle, I don't know, but this was not really as enjoyable as I would have liked. Too big for its own good would be the best way to describe it. I tried it, and I have had worse, but I have had much, much better. Overall I will pass and wait for the next round. I guess it might be good to try, hopefully just a flat bottle, but defiantly unimpressed and completely under whelmed. Now the bottle, top notch, awesome graphics and a wax seal, both very nice touchs, however I just wish what was inside could have lived up to how good it looked outside.

09-15-2007 00:22:17 | More by mikesgroove
NittanyBeerFan

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Figured that I would try this on tap before I went out and splurged on a case. Poured into a snifter at TJ's.

The color is a beautiful deep rich ruby with hues of copper infused with rust around the edges. The head is about a half-finger thick, and there is a slight amount of lacing, as well as some spotty gobs that stick to the edges of the glass upon a swirl.

The most notable characteristics of the nose are the prominent citrus and grassy hops. There is no pine to be found. However, the bitterness that I expect is not there. The palate brings on an almost noble hop-like earthiness and grassy character. Again the bitterness is muted. I get an almost vodka-like astringent grainy alcohol flavor that takes all of my focus away from the beer. I can't get past it. This 13.6% tastes closer to 30. I can't make out any malts aside from the grains that contribute to the boozy flavor.

Somewhat smooth, but relatively harsh on the palate, even for a DIPA. I am used to having my palate thrashed, but that is by bitterness, not because of the overwhelming alcohol flavors. I couldn't even finish the whole snifter's pour. There are much better and well-balanced double IPAs out there. Seek them out and exhaust those options before you pursue this one, unless you just want a fast buzz.

04-09-2010 02:15:08 | More by NittanyBeerFan