Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,431 | Reviews: 883
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yuck. From the putrid dirty brown color to the obnoxious sweet prune nose this has to be one of the worst brews I have had. Nothing going on here from the beginning. It only got worse as I gave it time, baked raisins, chuncky white floaties in a brown liquid, no thanks.

1.38/5  rDev -66.8%

I wanted this to be terrific but sadly it was abysmal.

I'm guessing the bottle was old because the taste was pure malt with a small note of hop flavor.

I will never drink this beer again. I wish I could at least suggest attempting a bottle or draft but I am highly apprehensive.

I may have lost complete faith in dark horse as a result of this one.

The bourbon barrell plead the fifth I had before this pushed my thoughts to the brink. This might have tipped me over.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

What an interesting DIPA!!! Thanks to elkhunter36 for this bottle.

Great artwork on the label. Pours well, giving a thick, somewhat dense foam-that stays. Color is a ruddy burnt amber.

Nose is forward with the hops, a bit piney but some hint of sweetness too. Is it from the hops or is it the mailt trying to get noticed?

Wow, I love the hops up front, but there is the malt presence there as well. Very balanced. I got the piney hops, but then a bit of a slightly sweet bread of cracker came through as well. Oh, and I still have almost a finger of foam left--nice. Hop finish goes toward a spiciness--almost peppery.

Mouthfeel on this beer is quite different than your usual IPA or DIPA. It has more heft. This sets this beer apart wonderfully. There is also a silica like grittiness present. I don't know if it's hop & yeast residue, but it did not take away from the overall experience.

I could not find the ABV on the label, and I started w/o reviewing BA's listing, so I didn't know what I was dealing with from the onset. Wow, damned smooth for a 12+% beer. Maybe that pepper I got in the finish was alcohol burn that I didn't recognize. Really good beer!!!

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 Oz bottle poured into a snifter
Had a couple of these in MI a few months ago, went to Indianapolis last week and was lucky enough to score a single bottle.

A- This beer is dark orange red and extremely hazy, it poured with a half finger off white that dissipated very quickly. It has monster alcohol legs.

S- This is pretty rank smelling beer. It was more so when I first had it fresh a couple months ago. There is a lot of pine and some citrus; grapefruit, pineapples and so on. The hop flavor has lost some of its life but is still rather hefty. There is of course a good bit of acohol as well.

T- This is a rather bitter beer but not as bad as I was expecting. This beer comes packed with a lot of hop flavors (same as smell) but is actually rather nicely balanced with a sugary malt flavor. This beer does hove some alcohol flavor but I have tasted much worse out of much higher % beers.

M- This beer is obviously a big beer and for the alcohol in it, is actually easy drinking. It would be a chewy beer but there is so much alcohol that it thins it out to a tolerable texture. Aftertaste is bitter and a refreshing hop bite. Of course this beer is rather warming.

O- Awesome stuff. The hop flavor was much stronger fresh and may have made me give it a higher aroma and taste rating. With a little age this beer is easier to handle and is a sure winner at any age, I would like to have an old one but Id probably prefer the fresh hop bomb. Drink this with a full understanding of what your getting yourself into and you'll likely be pleased.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours from bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark orange color with a small head.

Deep with really good aromas of orange peels, florals, pears, apricots and some hops.

Full bodied with good depth and a smooth feel and good flavors of orange peels, pears, apricots and some hops.

I only had two bottles of this and I wish I had saved one for some age. I'll be sure to do that next year and see how it develops.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Served on-tap at Capone`s in PA. It has an appearance of amber with a couple fingres of white head. The aroma has caramel, citrus and sugar. Taste is a bit over the top imo, too sweet, a good dose of hops. Mouthfeel is full, a rather bitter finish. A pretty good DIPA, but I found it to be one that pushed the envelope too far, where the taste and overall quality of it became comprised. Still good, but I don`t feel it is anything more than that.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium amber color with a partial surface residue and fine peripheral ring of off-white bubbles. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Full, with dominant hops of dank citrus, sticky caramel, and a relatively nuanced milky quality that seems tied to malt. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins very off-dry, with early hop aromatics that are pungent in their ripe tropical fruit and dark citrus qualities. Acidity is mild into the middle where thick pale malt emerges, slightly cakey, after the initial hops assault subsides. Hops never disappear entirely, contributing a whiff of resinous pine in the second act. Alcohol is complimentary in the middle, rising toward the finish where herbaceous hop flavors combine with the booze to produce a medicinal taint. Bitterness is moderate considering the immense size of this DIPA.

M: Medium viscosity, syrupy and warming on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: Judging by ABV alone, this beast of a beer may seem like the DIPA to rule them all. However, it displays poise in its balanced display of qualities--in this case, balance equates to all of the hops and pale malts that will fit in a 12 oz. bottle. While alcohol has a speaking role in the cast, it does not dominate; its absence would be more distracting. It drinks more ably that some other big DIPAs that are 2-3 points smaller. An oaked version of this could threaten Alpine's excellent Exponential Hoppiness.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company