Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
stakem

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass, it appears an amber color with orange hues around the edges. Clear for the most part with faint particles stuck in suspension. The tanned head is composed mostly of large bubbles that pop and fade quickly despite the rising bubbles of carbonation. Minimal to no lacing is found on the glassware. The aroma is a spicy zap of citrus, floral and piney hops combined with alcohol and malty sweetness. Taste is fairly bitter upfront tasting oily for the most part with an alcohol kick that supports the aggressive bitterness. Malty sweetness is evident but plays a much lighter role in this beer when compared to the bold alcohol presence and hop bitterness. The alcohol is not hidden at all, it is evident in both flavor and warmth. The alcohol seemingly evaporates out of your mouth leaving a cool feeling however it warms the back of the throat as well. Hops present themselves a bit resinous and linger in the mouth long after each sip with a taste that is somewhat herbal. The feel of this beer is medium with moderate to light carbonation. Overall not bad.

05-06-2010 02:12:07 | More by stakem
urwithdave

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a cigar city snifter. I want to add that after drinking this beer, I found it to be more of a barleywine than a DIPA. I am rating this beer on taste and not style. If I were to rate this by style it would have been much lower. With that being said, I really loved this beer.

A- pours dark tan in color. It has a solid foamy 1 finger head. Good retention with solid lacing.

A- toffee, roasted earthly malts, brown sugar, molasses. The hops are faint and I pick up little to no citrus.

T- malt forward with a very sweet brown sugar present. Molasses or honey and bread, maybe a biscuit. Some piney hops are present that deliver a very slight bitterness. There may be some orange present, I can't nail it down though, there is the slightest hint of something that is citrus. There is definitley some booze but its not overpowering.

M- medium bodied. Nicely carbonated. I get a little tingle in the back of my throat from the alcohol.

D- this is a very dangerous beer. I could have easily killed six of these. It drinks really nice. I wish dark horse would start distributing to FL!

05-05-2010 20:43:49 | More by urwithdave
Casey10

Maine

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Wow this beer is rocking. Picked it up while in MA at redstone liquiors.

A darker copper brown with mininal head lots of lacing though in a nonic pint glass.

S - sweet malty hops very nice.

T - chewy tasty lots going on here.

M - sticky not bad simialr to a Gubna but not in the same way still sticks with you though.

D - I said good while I would have another after 2 it maybe overkill considering the ABV.

This beer is worthy and worth having !!

05-05-2010 20:29:54 | More by Casey10
beerhan

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

From what I remember this beer is the best thing Dark Horse has ever done! It is the DIPA to rule them all. There is a cascade of hops, all sorts of fruits and a dash of pine that just make this beer stand out. Definitely not for the novice because this beer will knock you on your floor!

05-05-2010 15:31:39 | More by beerhan
thetomG

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Wowzers... this one is a sipper! I've had literally 3 sips and I can feel it already - but I suppose that shouldn't be all too surprising considering the high 13.6% ABV.

That being said Double Crooked Tree is dangerously drinkable. While it may warm you up a bit, the aroma is sweet & malty and the taste is delicious. Pours a nice cloudy dark amber color with a minimal amount of head. The initial flavor begins with a medium sweetness followed by a slightly boozy aftertaste and heated/warming finish.

Tasty stuff and definitely something I'm looking forward to trying again.

05-05-2010 01:57:24 | More by thetomG
WanderingFool

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Double Crooked Tree pours a dark, opaque amber color with a small creamy off white head on top. The foam dissolves quickly leaving behind a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is full of hops with strong notes of orange and grapefruit citrus. Hints of pine and alcohol are also present.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is slick on the palate, slightly chewy with fizzy carbonation felt on the tongue. The flavor is bitter with enough sweet caramel malt to balance all the hops. It begins with bitter orange and grapefruit citrus and a touch of pine followed by dark fruit cherry flavor. A peppery spice is detected in the background. It finishes slightly medicinal, like cough syrup, with a mild alcohol taste. Once gone the medicinal flavor lingers on the palate.

For a 12% beer it hides the alcohol fairly well. It's not a super hoppy beer like other Imperial IPA's, but is well balanced and pretty easy to drink. I'd like a bit more hop flavor and aroma in this beer. Otherwise, it's quite good.

05-04-2010 21:18:01 | More by WanderingFool
Arbitrator

2.83/5  rDev -32%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass. A generous extra from chcfan. Thanks!

A: Pours a murky mahogany color with amber highlights. It's pretty dark for a DIPA. The head is small and short-lived, consisting of large bubbles that vanish with no trace.

S: Like smelling a big juicy grapefruit embedded in pine needles. Some floral notes as well. Definitely banana in the nose. Not as pungent as I would like, but quite a good aroma.

T: Quite a lot going on, both hop- and malt-wise. Hops are present in abundant citrus quantities: grapefruit and orange, with a slight tang from lime flavors. I detect some banana and possibly berry as well -- very interesting. Lots of toast and caramel malt, too. Not my favorite approach to a DIPA flavor; its huge sweetness is a off-putting. But it's fairly good.

M: Medium bodied, with slightly light carbonation that makes it feel smooth. Works well for a brew of this gravity. But it has a harsh, sugar-burn sting at the finish.

D: I don't quite get the love people have for it; maybe if it's uber-fresh it is a winner, but if the hops fade even a little bit, it starts to taste like a barleywine. Not my style.

05-04-2010 04:09:43 | More by Arbitrator
colts9016

Idaho

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

I got this beer from my recent BIF, thank you very much. Poured into a snifter at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A light tan copper head that is one finger and is bubbly and foamy with some retention. The color of the beer is a medium dark tan with coppers hues. The clarity of the beer is hazy. The head is leaving some lacing on the glass.

Nose: A mellow hop aroma of fruity esters and wood. The hops are grapefruit, orange lemon, pine, and floral bouquet. The malt is subtle sweetness, with toastiness, biscuit, and some yeast. There are some phenols and solvent characters.

Taste: A malt forward DIPA, this beer is more like a barleywine. There is an okay amount of hops. Nothing special. The hops are subtle. The hop flavors are orange, lemon, pine, and floral bouquet. The malt is sweet, yeast, biscuit, pine, and yeasty. The high alcohol is masked very well by the malt.

The mouth feel is coating, slightly dry, and a touch of astringency.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium. This beer is going to get low marks because it just doesn't fit the DIPA category. It is a poor IPA. I am disappointed. I have had other Dark Horse Brews and they were better.

05-04-2010 01:41:09 | More by colts9016
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz. bottle served in my DT tulip. Poured a deep chestnut/mahogany with a one inch, creamy, off-white head that exhibits excellent retention. Nose starts out sweet - citrus, cotton candy and a slight earthy/piny hops character at the back. Taste consistent with nose; however, the way the flavors express themselves are very interesting. Sweet and bitter is muddled at the beginning then sweet reappears, as well as some alcohol heat, followed by citrus, sugar and a light lingering, slightly medicinal bitterness - all on a malty backbone. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a slightly creamy/oily texture and a carbonation level that approaches prickly, but is somewhat diminished by the texture. Tasty and complex, with a well-hidden abv at 13.6%. Very enjoyable, but the roller coaster ride of the flavor profile slightly diminishes the drinkability, although not appreciably.

05-04-2010 01:36:22 | More by Jwale73
jedwards

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Showed up in Massachusetts recently. Looking forward to trying this one.

Pours a cloudy copper into my Duvel tulip, with a finger of eggshell head. Nose is dominated by malt -- the usual caramel/toffee/etc. Definitely some hop (lots of evergreen, a little citrus), but totally overshadowed by the malty nose. Taste has a strong bitter hop in the middle and a nice bitter finish without the metallic bite that often comes along with bitterness this high, but is also very sweet -- brown sugar and vanilla caramel dominate. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin for the maltiness of this one, good prickly carbonation.

This seems more like a very hoppy American Barleywine than a DIPA in many ways. I'm certainly going to put at least one bottle away for a couple years to see what happens with it. As a DIPA, I think aroma particularly is lacking, but the beer is flavorful and enjoyable. Definitely a one-and-done situation, particularly given the ABV.

05-04-2010 01:22:18 | More by jedwards
honestdave

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle in to my Dark Horse Ale glass that I bought at the gift shop a few weeks ago.

A: Slightly cloudy, purplish hue. Nice foam head from a hard pour.

S: Fresh hop goodness. Slight raspberry nose with citrus hop hit.

T: Delicious hop resiny bitterness with light raspberry aftertaste. Warm alcohol is well hidden within the flavors.

M: Light carbonation. Not as syrupy or full as one would think for such a high alcohol brew. Really good. A classic Double IPA.

D: Easy drinking for such a high alcohol double.

Summary: Wow! I need to have this again and again. All I can think of is Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water, because this is one classic kick ass brew. After drinking the beers that i enjoyed at the brewpub...I believe that this one beer epitomizes Dark Horse Brewing. I highly recommend it.

05-04-2010 01:17:56 | More by honestdave
chaz01

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

12 ounce draught at Chappy's Tap Room, poured into a snifter glass.

A: Hazy ruby brown color, very little head.

S: Fruity aroma -- picking up notes of grapefruit, apricots and even pears.

T: Picking up some chocolate malty characteristics with some piney hops notes, caramel flavors and just a bit of a citrusy grapefruit tastes.

M: Full bodied, thick and syrupy with very low carbonation detected. Alcohol presence is hidden pretty well for a 12%+ beer.

D: Very heavy sipping beer, a bit more malty than what I would expect in a big IPA. From the bottle, it says that it can be cellared -- it would be interesting to see how the beer ages.

05-01-2010 23:04:35 | More by chaz01
Gtreid

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Another thanks go out to greatfulbeerhead for sending a couple bottles of this down my way. Poured into my CCB snifter.

A: Dark caramel color. The pour creates a finger of almost tan color head that fades to a thin rim, and leaves streaky lace.

A: Really sweet caramel and toffee notes. Big piney hop aroma with notes of tangerine and grapefruit. Pretty appearant alcohol nose as well.

T: Sweet caramel malt all the way. Big notes of pine sap and grass. I also get orange peel, bread, grapefruit, and over-ripened tangerine. It finishes very boozy, dry, and sweet.

M: Pretty heavy body, good carbonation for the style. It gets a little syrupy towards the end.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is just ok. The high ABV and sugary sweetness will limit it some. Overall, I really liked this beer. I just can't see this as a DIPA, it really should be classified as a barleywine IMHO. I am glad I have a couple of these, but I would have liked to have tried this when it was super fresh rather than a couple months old. Skal.

05-01-2010 13:05:27 | More by Gtreid
PDXHops

South Carolina

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Ryan011235 for this 12 oz bottle, poured into a La Chouffe tulip.

Pours out a quite cloudy darkish amber with a 1.5 finger head. This reduces slowly to a skim, which is pretty decent retention considering the hefty ABV. Lacing starts out as a creamy sheet up top, ends up as drippy bubbles down below.

Quite a strong nose on this; I got a big whiff of citrus as soon as I popped the cap. Loads of sweet and bready malt with a healthy citrus presence demanding attention. Smells a little boozy, but I would have never guessed 12%. I'd prefer the sweetness to be turned down a notch, but it's pleasant and inviting.

The alcohol is very more noticeable in the mouth. It has the odd effect of lightening/'lubricating' all that malt and making for a less sticky beer than I'd imagined it would be. Excepting a healthy dose of lingering warm booziness, it finishes quite cleanly. The citrus is joined by a fairly strong pine bitterness that flares up mid-swallow, but more or less disappears by the finish. Lacks the powerful hoppy finish I crave.

Overall impression: I'd love to see the lupulin ratched up and the booze/sweetness ratched down, but it's an interesting take on the style.

05-01-2010 01:57:27 | More by PDXHops
SpdKilz

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

New Beer Friday! A huge thanks to DrDoitchbig for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a relatively dark, muddy brown color (reminds me of the unfiltered cider you can buy in the store around Halloween) with over a finger of tan fluffy head that dissipates at a moderate pace. Decent lacing is left around the sides of my glass.

Smell - Heavy caramel up front with slight citrus hops (this smell actually fades the longer it sits in my glass). Smells very sweet overall.

Taste - A similar taste as the nose. At first there is a wave of hop/piney bitterness not really smelled in the nose but this quickly fades to the caramel/toffee sweet malt backbone. Within that backbone there is slight sweet grapefruit hiding out. Finishes just sweet but actually the longer you wait before another sip, the more bitter the last sip becomes.

Mouthfeel - Pretty thick - nice and creamy, decent carbonation, finishes a bit dry.

Drinkability - There is just a hint of alcohol I can taste but overall, for a 12% beer, I can barely taste the alcohol and have almost zero warming as I take sips. This beer packs an insane punch yet it doesn't appear to. I'm really glad I was able to try this and would pick this up again if I saw it. A pretty interesting DIPA that goes down nice and easy. Cheers!

05-01-2010 00:05:13 | More by SpdKilz
RTrain12

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

12oz. Bottle poured into my pint glass.

A: Pours a light cloudy brown with a 1/4" tan head that faded quickly. Very little lacing in glass.

S: Hops foresure, and some caramel. I didnt really pick anything else up.

T: Little boozie at first, but expected with a 13.6 ABV! Bitter all the way threw and some caramel. Finishes nice tho.

M: Thin bodied. Very prickley on the tounge. Almost no carbonation.

D: This DIPA cought me off guard at first! The one I'm reviewing is the second one I have ever had. Just like the first one I've got a buzz (on a empty stomach) and I'm only half way threw! I do like this DIPA! I would pick up another one 4-pack next season.

04-30-2010 23:36:52 | More by RTrain12
bpfishback

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

a- A surprising dark brown.Some head but fades fast.
s- Light hint of hops that mingles very interestingly with a sweet malty toffee like smell. Reminds me instantly of a, less intense, in a good way DFH 120min ipa.
t- Nice malt taste. Some bitterness. The finish is very nice, I am left with a nice roasted almost smokey taste in my mouth.
m- Good, nice body. Don't get much carbonation.
d- High ABV, but very drinkable. However i don't know if i could do more than one a night.

I like this but want more of a hoppy nose from it. I enjoy the regular crooked tree more. I can't speak for when this was bottled but this bottle is definitely more malt forward then hoppy.

04-30-2010 04:16:57 | More by bpfishback
yeahnatenelson

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

*Note: The profile states the abv of this beer as 12.0%, but the bottle says 13.6%

Appearance - Pours a deep, dark cherry with ample head, which sticks around for a surprisingly long time.

Smell - Citrus hops dominate the aroma, but there's still enough room for a little bit of resin and caramel to eek out.

Taste - Big blast of the citrus, then the back of your mouth is flooded with hop bitters. As the the rush of bitter subsides some really smooth caramel and toffee notes come out and round everything out. The finish is equal parts sweet, sour, and hoppy bitter; I found myself smacking my tongue like a dog with peanut butter in its mouth...

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied, light carbonation, and considering the abv, hardly any booze bite. The only way you can really tell that you're drinking a double IPA is the gentle warming of the throat.

Drinkability - This beer is 13.6% abv?! This is by a wide margin THE most drinkable beer I've ever had at this strength. One of the better DIPA's I've come across, not so much for its complexity, but for how easy it is to drink.

04-29-2010 00:57:08 | More by yeahnatenelson
Kanebanger

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Dark orange with ruby red and yellow highlights. Lots of lacing

S: Deep hop aroma and sweet caramel malts. Grapefruit and dried orange peel. Hints of spice and toffee as well

T: Strong grapefruit and floral hops upfront.Nice malt body to back it up but the hops take center stage.Has a touch of brown sugar that gives it a little sweetness

M: Full in body, light carbonation, not as thick as I thought it would be

D: Not very drinkable as compared to most DIPA's (yes I know it is 12%). Just seems to fill the stomach more than most for some reason

04-28-2010 00:53:43 | More by Kanebanger
herman77

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Review from notes on 4-13-10 *13.6% ABV*

A: Dark copper/deep orange. Super hazy, can't even see through it. Minimal off white head that forms a film. Good amount of "level" lacing all the way down the glass.

S: A lot like the normal crooked tree. Oranges, grapefruit and some pine. Lots of sweet bread and carmel malt.

T: Wow, not surprising that its a like normal crooked tree, but on steroids. Everything is intensified. Lots of citrus and pine hops. Mainly grapefruit and oranges. Has a great thick, biscuity and toffee malt flavor to provide awesome balance. Hop resin/oils makes the tongue quiver in the finish. The hop oils stick everywhere in the mouth for a long time. At 98 IBUs its damn hoppy, but there is a ton of malt to balance it out. Seems a little more balanced than crooked tree.

M/D: Fairly full bodied. A little creamy and smooth feeling from the lower carbonation. There is a touch of alcohol in the finish but that is to be expected at 13/6% abv, seems like its almost half that which is scary. Good drinkability for how strong it is, only a 4 because you will really be feeling it if you have two in a row.

04-28-2010 00:36:39 | More by herman77
samccoy

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up a case of this stuff at Westy's. 12 oz bottle poured into a unchilled mug.

A: This brew has a deep amber color darker then most IPAs or IIPAs normally would have The head is a contrasting white-tan color that seemed to beckon me to drink it.

S: I wish I had an air freshener for my truck of this beer. Pleasantly malty and hoppy at the same time.

T: The taste is something of a karate chop to the throat, but in a good way. A powerful hoppy bite to open with that gives way to a character of amber and dark malts. It finishes with more hop character but leaves a very mild alcohol taste in the back of the throat.

M: It boasts a nice full-bodied character that's neither too heavy nor too light. Smooth and striking at the same time somehow.

D: A really great session beer if I've ever had one. The high alcohol content warns you off from having any more then two of these powerhouses though.

04-26-2010 23:54:59 | More by samccoy
Samichlaus

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Received in trade from StormKing47, Thanks Josh!
12 oz bottle poured into Allagash flute

A: Pours a beautiful translucent mahogany red. Thin, bubbly, cream color head with a thin dissipating lace.

S: Sweet, piney hop aroma. Nice caramel background. Sugary, spicy and grassy notes float around in the aroma.

T: Nice bitter, piney hop flavor. Sweet caramel and toasted malts balance nicely. Finished dry with warming alcohol.

M. Creamy carbonation. Nice body. Thick, sticky, resiny.

D: Very drinkable. Great flavor and smoothness. A little thick and sticky on the palate brings it down just a tad.

04-25-2010 15:05:30 | More by Samichlaus
33nickadams

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

I was surprised by the color. I didn't expect to see it that dark and amber. It is transparent. Poured about a finger and a half of head.

The smell is delicious!

Very sweet taste and smooth. You can definitely taste the alcohol.

Very drinkable beer. It doesn't seem like a DIPA though. I think because of the smoothness and the color I would almost consider this an imperial amber ale. Do they even brew those?

Gotta love Michigan beer!

04-25-2010 01:17:19 | More by 33nickadams
MbpBugeye

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Oh yeah, its finally here! The new labels say nothing about the ABV. I heard rumors that all they did was change the labels so we have a beer here in Ohio thats way over the 12% limit. Whether they changed just the labels or the beer its self, I dont care.

A- Very very dark for a DIPA. Its ruby or garnet red with an off white head that quickly fades as it leaves plenty of lacing. The beer is fairly clear, its just really dark.

S- The smell is really interesting. Ginger, cinnamon, fresh-cut pine tree, orange, orange cleaner, orange candy, caramel.
2 characteristics down and all ready I can tell this is going to be unlike any other DIPA that Ive seen.

T- I remember thinking that this was nearly all caramel malts when I had it on tap a couple weeks ago. Partly I was correct and partly I was wrong. The malts here are huge, caramely and smooth but the hops are just as intense. It seems to battle back and forth with the hops winning out in the finish. The finish is loaded with astringent, zesty, bitter, very dry and juicy orange citrusy hops. The oily hops linger leaving you with lots of household cleaner orange and pineapple bitterness and tons of alcohol.

M- Low carbonation, I think the alcohol must be killing it. This is a very thick and syrupy DIPA. Very dry, sticky and sweet mouthfeel.

D- Very good beer from Dark Horse, Bravo! This is not an easy drinker however. But no one said it would be. Its warm with alcohol, syrupy thick, huge on both malts and hops. This is not a beginners beer and I love it.

04-24-2010 22:16:14 | More by MbpBugeye
sitarist

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a orange/brandy-like color, off white head falls to a ring, not much lacing, but the lacing has an interesting quality to it.

This smells very nice: orange/ orange liquor, pine, fresh cut wood, kind buds, Christmas, LOTS of caramel, and toffee sweetness, flowery, peppery, and alluring. Reminds me of a lap dance.

Taste just as good as it smells. The alcohol is hidden very, very well. Everything is perfectly balanced. Pine, orange, pineapple, and caramel are most prominent; peppery/spicy aftertaste.

Lots of body, sticky, low carbonation, warming, and has a nice numbing finish.

Who cares how drinkable this beer is; you only need one! Really, this is a pleasure to drink; the buzz is a bonus. The balance in flavors and aromas is mind-blowing to me. Aged this might start to become more of a Barleywine, but at 2 months fresh this is to me what a DIPA should be! Ive had on tap also and remember it being even better.

04-24-2010 03:15:30 | More by sitarist