Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros

Thanks to Zoolzoo for the trade!

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a tulip glass.
A: Cloudy amber/honey color with no head but small delicate lacing at the leg of the glass. Very cloudy and sediment is visible in the glass. Not much carbonation.

N: Biscuity floral sweetness....very sweet honey notes with a touch of floral aspect.

T/M: Tastes like it smells; very sweet....not too much hop bitterness in the forefront, but it is noticeable in the lingering after-taste. Not a very multi-dimensional flavor, but a very good dimension. Alcohol flavor definitely is present, but in no way overwhelming. Tastes almost like a pale imperial stout (as I imagine one would); a bit dry.

I believe this bottle is a bit older (no date on the bottle). I got it on a trade in the middle of the summer and tried to drink it soon (my review is from notes), but it also may have been exposed to some "weathering" due to the cross-country journey. I would love to try this beer again on tap or fresh.

It is actually has a great flavor and has aged well, but it is not super hoppy, which is what I had gleefully anticipated. Good stuff all the same.

peacebone116, Sep 10, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Visual...a lovely orange. poured straight in it did a frothy 2 finger head. A careful pour would give less. That head is settling but leaves a lot of froth on the sides.

Aroma...All good things in all good time. There's every sort of hops,something almost watermelon,a bit of raisin,a bit of sherry,there's some floral,some resin...the whole spectrum.
malt hints are caramel to toffee.

Note...5 min after finishing I took a big sniff of the empty bottle and there was still a nice aroma blast.

Flavors....Pow! Bam! A lot happening.

There's a dose of big resiny hops,and a lot of fruit notes doing sweet,sour,tangy. Sweet caramel seduces one set of taste buds and a hop kick spanks another set..but in a good way.
second pour and kind of a quick one getting more foam,but I like to get a sip of foam...sometimes it helps me "see" the flavors differently, here it does bring up the fruity tastes,some Bing cherry is there.

Here, well, there's so much action it's like a big orchestra playing Bolero. Having seen reviews I was thinking maybe I should wear a hemet and lock up the power tools,or this would be some barndywine fruitcake...but it is much more interesting than that,even if those things do factor.

The ABV? I don't get that nasty "cheap malt liquor" tastes but 1/2 bottle and I got some buzz. As it warms the sweet malts get more competitive....there's now a bit of "booze" in the flavor,but it's warm,not harsh and even adds to the grand display of the flavor package that is possible in whatever category this is in. The bright resin-fresh hop finish does say DIPA but this sucker kind of creates it's own category.

Flavor? hey,it's got enough stuff going on you could write a term paper about it.

Mouth...Here...big points a body beyond what you expect in any IPA/DIPA. The Malt bill isn't the p[rimary flavor maker but it ties things together and beefs up the mouth/texture.

Te aftertastes go on and on,with some brown sugar on the lips,some delayed bursts of woodsy evergreen hops,marijuana resins,assorted fruit playing around for a while. A Pine hops and tart Cherry finish lasts along while.

You can nurse a glass of this stuff awhile. Yeah...it costs $ but is basically 2 very nice beers crammed into one bottle.

Drinkable? ONE...is real drinkable. then maybe later do something lightweight....less LARGE.

Looking at reviews and having recently discovered Dark Horse and their amazing set of big dark brews,I really expected this to be very interesting but too over the edge...too Barleywine. Instead Dark Horse does a brew that is simply world class great. I'm a sucker for complexity and "entertainment" in a big beer. I love to see flavors dance,play harmony,have a purpose. Call it Dark IPA,Barleywine or " Oh My Gawd"...this stuff can dance.

EDIT- Now there's a "Dark Cascadian" category so great and innovative beers like this won't get slammed as too big for a DIPA. Note too....I had one today...and it was released Feb...7-8 mo,so the Malt-Hop balance does shift. Chech reviews from April + May. Also...if you WANT your double crooked to be a bit more HOPPY or to mask the alcohol....drink it a bit colder. I love it COLD...then I drink it slow and let it evolve as it warms. THIS is very very good at that . Storm King is another brew that does remarkable temperature transitions. If you WANT this to do Brandywine, let it warm.

The 12% ABV is what's on the website,and why it is sellable in Ohio. Perhaps the 2009 edition was 13.6%...this isn't

rembrant, Sep 09, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip 09/02/10.

Pours a dark amber color and forms a very small but nicely retained khaki colored head. Small amounts of filmy lacing are left as I rotate the glass but thy don't last.

Leads off with some citrus hoppiness which is chased immediately by toffee, caramel, and alcohol. Actually stings the nostrils a little.

The slight citric hoppiness from aroma is virtually absent on the palate but there's a fair share of bitterness in there. Malt manifests itself in a big way in the form of yellow apples and caramel. Alcohol is still slightly too obvious in both the flavor and feel.

Had to step back from this beer and take a second to look at my review after I was done. As a DIPA it's pretty near a complete fail but after logging on to post my review and seeing how insanely high the ABV is and looking at my notes this is actually fairly decent as a Barleywine. No reason to judge the beer too negatively because they put the wrong label on it.

berkey, Sep 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz. bottle given to me by an awesome dude at Ebenezer's Belgian Beer Fest. Thanks man!

Pours a cloudy dark amber with a dense one-finger head. Laces and retains well for a high-ABV brew.

Aroma has a good dose of orangey hop juiciness, woody spice and mellow alcohol.

This is a tasty and heavy DIPA. Loads of hop bitterness are equaled by a ton of rich, molasses malt. Neither too sweet nor too bitter, just incredibly hoppy. Tastes like a pine tree: very resinous. The mouthfeel is thick and oily, with smooth carbonation. Alcohol is present, but I would never guess this beer to be nearly 14 percent alcohol.

Well-crafted and insanely drinkable for the ABV.

dasenebler, Sep 02, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into my tulip glass from a 12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy copper/amber color. It was weird, when i held the beer up tot he light, as I often do, I saw what I can only describe as section of cloud in the middle of the beer. Never see anything like that before. At first I thought maybe it was yeast sediment that hadn't settled, but it persisted to stick around after I started sipping the beer. Finally after about 10 minutes I clearly saw clumps of yeasty sediment at the bottom of my glass. Tan head is about half an inch thick when poured before quickly settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass with spotty lacing. Aromas of sweet caramel malt and citrus hops along with vanilla and some fruity aromas of grapefruit and maybe something like plums or figs. Has a great flavorful blend of sweet caramel malt, citrus hops, a bit of a peppery spice-like Ancho chili's perhaps, and is rounded with the aforementioned fruit. Certainly not as hoppy as I would have expected a double IPA to be. This one reminded me more of a spiced/herbed beer. It certainly reminded me of Theobrama, but with a noticeably bigger hop profile. I wonder if that's what they were going for with this beer or if the hops have faded as I have no idea how long this was sitting on the shelf for before I bought it. Has a nice thick, sort of chewy, crisp mouthfeel. It just coats the palate and the flavors linger long after each sip has been taken. Moderate carbonation. very easy to drink especially once it starts to warm up. I really enjoyed this and hope to have it again.

Eric

neenerzig, Sep 01, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

12oz into pint glass. From notes.

A- Pours more like a barleywine, a nice copper color. Great head and retention considering the ABV, textbook lacing.

S- A blast of hops and alcohol, not dissimilar to DFH's 120min IPA. Nice vanilla and caramel notes (once the alcohol burn subsides).

T- Wow. This is a flavorful beer. As with the nose, there's an all-out assault of hop oils and alcohol. This one is warming in the mouth. Hops taste very fresh, is this one dry-hopped? Caramel/molasses body comes through in the finish, not cloyingly sweet but close to it.

M- Heavy, big big beer. Good carbonation, perhaps this one would do better at 2-3% lower ABV though. Slightly syrupy.

D- Moderate. I really like the flavors here, but it might be too much. That being said, I'll buy some more of this next time it comes around. The 4pk dissapeared rather quickly.

ShogoKawada, Aug 30, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a scary looking tree on the label into an oversized snifter. Pours a dark cloudy amber, almost th ecolor of peach iced tea. Minimal head presents even with a rather aggressive pour.

Has a citrusy pine hop smell, tempered with sweet malt. There's a bit of a sweet fruit background as well.

Sweet, with a pepper spice on the tongue followed by some yeastiness, there's as much malt as there is hop in this one. There's some fruitiness on the back of the tongue as it finishes. Slight bitterness on the end, but the hops, which were so prevalent in the smell, are not nearly as present in the taste. I wonder what the boil time was on this one?

Decent mouthfeel, rather smooth yet slightly astringent.

Quite drinkable, I'm enjoying this one and would gladly have another.

TheHoppiest, Aug 30, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Based on 7/18/10 tasting:

This is good, but a bit too bitter for me. Devil Dancer would be a nice alternative. The mouthfeel is just sharp and not pleasant. You can "feel" this beer on your tongue. Maybe a bitter hophead's dream, but not mine.

a74gent, Aug 30, 2010

Review input from notes. Enjoyed 03/23/10

Deep hazy amber cider like color. One finger sandy head with very little retention, not really expected with a high abv beer such as this. Lacing is decent and somewhat surprising.

Bright pine and citric hops. Very sweet caramel back bone. Malt is dominate though pairs well with the hops.

Sweet rich caramel hits the tongue first. Hops seem to lighten the flavor. Sweet citrus with a light pine flavor. Lacks a biting bitterness for a DIPA.

Smooth though a bit short of creamy. Finish is much drier than I expected. Slightly warm boozy heat but not off putting.

Drinks lighter than its abv. One would certianly be good but a couple in a sitting would not be the worst thing in the world. Definitely worth a try.

kzoobrew, Aug 29, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Bottle only lists 98 IBU's, no freshness/bottling date or abv listed. After tasting I'm not surprised to login to see that it clocks in at a 13.6%. Guess I was expecting less though considering this is available in OH... that, or this site has outdated info.

Label would be interesting if it was just the tree, the scrit layered on top makes this one ugly looking beer label.

Poured into a snifter, bright ruby/honey color. Clear, almost no head and very little lacing.

Smells of bitter hops, and alcohol. It's got a sweetness, but I'll attribute it to the abv or malt, it's not citrusy or fruity as if it were imparted by the hops.

Tastes bitter up front, not sure if it tastes a full 98 though. Then you get some alcohol burn in the bottom of your throat, followed by strong sweetness and caramel malts, followed by more alcohol sting on the tongue and throat. This tastes more like a hoppy barleywine and less of a DIPA.

Medium bodied with almost no carbonation. Sticky coating left inside the mouth, I need a glass of water.

This beer is very boozy to the point that it's boozy to be boozy. It doesn't compliment the beer and makes it tough to drink. After all the hype when this was released earlier this year I'm now glad I found a single (seemingly illegally) for $3.99 rather than paying $15.99 or whatever it was for a 4-pack. Not impressed here.

Spider889, Aug 27, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a bottle in a DFH snifter glass

A: Pours a ruby/brown color with very little head and minimal lacing.

S: There is a little citrus, but definitely not as hoppy as expected for a double IPA. A lot more malt/bread on the nose than usual for this style.

T: Again, not very citrusy, a lot more malty/bready than most doubles.

D/M: It is creamy, but did not have a lot of carbonation. Its a sipper for sure. Overall I liked it, but am guessing that it may be a bit old. Did not find a bottling date on it, and would be more than willing to give it another shot on a fresh bottle. If what I drank is what it normally is supposed to taste like, I will pass in the future.

mdaschaf, Aug 24, 2010

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours cherry red with a small white head, which ends up as a thin ring around the glass. No lacing

S: First comes a nice citrus mix of grapefruit, orange and lemon, but quickly merges with a big malt presence. There's a bit of a biscuity finish

T: Similar to the nose, starts with citrus. However, instead of blending with the fruit, the malt completely takes over. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I wish there was more of a hop presence. On a positive note, alcohol is fairly non-present

M: Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Leaves a bitter and dry finish

D: To be honest, this is more like a barleywine then it is a DIPA. Given the alcohol, it's pretty drinkable, but I'd stop at one. Definitely worth a try

Brez07, Aug 19, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -32%

Got this from Alexander. Was supposed to wait until the DIPA tasting at the end of the month, but I was a bad boy and jumped the gun.

Poured at refrigerator temp into tulip glasses.

A: Very dense golden toward copper color. Not much head formation or carbonation.

S: Does not smell like an IPA. Smells like a barleywine to me. Sweeter and less hops than it should have.

T: Tastes like it smells. Both hops and sweet malt vying for your attention. Also, the ABV lets you know it is there right away. I am again much more reminded of barleywine than DIPA.

M: Creamy and nice. Decent carbonation keeps it from sticking to you.

D: A sipper to be sure.

When I think of DIPA, I go to Pliny the Elder, Dreadnaught, Hopslam and Arctic Panzer Wolf. Those are a varied bunch to be sure, but they all fit the style guidelines. This one does not seem to be able to squeeze in there to me.

Spica66, Aug 13, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

This is one scary brew. Double IPA my eye.

This one poured a deep golden orange color that was nearly opaque. There is a slight amount of hazy, but you need a pretty good light source to be able to tell. The pour produced very little head and that dissipate quickly as one might expect from a beer with such high ABV. The deep caramel color of the head gave me a pretty good clue of what was to follow. Lacing was evident during this session.

The aroma was of a ripe fruit compote made with bourbon and reduced over the stove.

The flavor was very close to a heavy duty barleywine style ale. The hops are there somewhere, but the overwhelming intensity of malt and alcohol mask most of the bitter hop bite. Still a wonderfully rich brew.

The mouthfeel was full, thick and coating, much like a very rich fatty piece of roasted pork.

Best to share one of these bad boys or risk overloading the taste buds. Still, I feel up to the challenge.

ABOWMan, Aug 11, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Purchased as a single from Save-On in Mentor, OH. for $3.99 ($15.96 a 4 pk).

Poured at fridge temps into my S.A. glass, the beer is a very dark copper .. not much light comes through when held to a light. A smallish head of ivory dissipates quickly .. not unexpected for a high abv beer. Looks more like a barley wine. Not much lacing .. again, as expected at this ABV.

Nose is pretty intense, both with hops and malts. Don't know what hops are used, but just a guess from the nose, chinook and/or simcoe play a dominant roll ... leaning toward's simcoe. I'm thinking there's amarillo in there too. Hop nose is both floral and spicy; maybe piney too. Malt sweetness is huge with caramel, toffee and dark fruit.

Flavor follows the nose pretty close. There is a strong hop "bam", but its pretty evenly matched by malty sweetness. The overall impression is more of a barley wine. Also, you can definitely taste (and feel) the high abv of this brew. It's not hot or fusel, but rather a not so subtle warming in the mouth and all the way down. Mouthfeel is huge ... almost chewy. Not sure if that fits the style, compared with other DIPAs I've sampled. I marked the drinkability at average, because for me, this would be a 'one and done' brew. This is an end of the day (or special treat) 'one off' brew imho. Can't see anyone having more than one of these, unles it was their intention to get hammered.

General impression is one of a barley wine, rather than a DIPA. I guess that Dark Horse's ad which states that they "simply doubled all the ingredients of their Crooked Tree IPA, except for the water" could be true. However, I don't think that produces a world class DIPA. This beer would have (imho) benefitted from a lower FG .. in other words, drier and less sweet.

I'm glad I had a chance to try this beer from Dark Horse, and if you get a chance to pick one up as a single, its worth trying ... really. However, I think you will find it to be closer to a barley wine than a DIPA overall. Is that a good thing? Bad thing? I'll let you decide.

Na Zdravje!

cooncat, Aug 08, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to Bill for this wonderful beer. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a white wine glass.

A: Brown with not much head to it. When the beer is swirled there's a decent amount of stickiness and bubbles present.

S: Butter rum, nuts, toffee.

T: Caramel goodness, oak, and some hops to add a bitter bite to the finish. Believe it or not, booze is a subdued component of this beer.

M: Prickly at first then melds into a smooth sipper. Essentially starts out as a DIPA and turns into a barleywine-esque feel.

D: I drank this way too quickly for it's alleged ABV.

Overall, a fine offering from Dark Horse. I'm not sure if I've had anything else by them but I'll definitely be more conscious of their name going forward.

hoppymcgee, Aug 07, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Dark amber, almost caramel. A finger of head.

S - Citric hops with a slightly floral bouquet, some deeply sweet malts that are intoxicating in themselves.

T - The hops are upfront as a typical DIPA, but this is anything other than typical as the powerful malts threaten to bring this brew into Barley Wine territory.

M - Heavy on the tongue with a well defined bitterness on the back end.

D - Dangerously drinkable. Says 13.6% ABV, but that's illegal in Ohio (one can only hope it's true...) so 12% it is, and even at that this brew is completely epic!

LiquidCucumber, Aug 04, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Double crooked tree arrives at my table deep amber with woody ruby tones and a nice sticky and frothy white head. The head has great staying power and leaves gloopy lace on the sides of the glass. The aroma is quite malty and sweet, with a lot of caramel malt characteristics. It also carries with it a piney and grapefruit hop character that mingles well with the maltier aromas to give it a sort of candied citrus quality. It also has a definite hint of booze that cuts through as I sniff gently. The taste is sweet, but not as sweet as I had anticipated. The malty character is full of caramel and toffee, as well as a bit of raisin. The bitterness does manage to come through some, and accentuates some nice grapefruit and pine hop flavors. This is not a hop bomb double, but it is also far from some of the more barleywine-esc offerings on the market. The body is on the heavier side of medium, and surprisingly smooth with a finish that is perfectly balanced and not too sticky or slick. The alcohol definitely shows itself, but it is not too distracting. Far from sessionable, but a nice sipper. For a concept beer, this one turned out pretty darn well.

zoso1967, Aug 03, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Trying to get my lips on this for a while

A-Scary. Real deep dark amber/brown. nice tight head.

S-Floral. Not as much floral hops but straight flowers. Malts and booze too.

T-I can't put my finger on it but it overwhelms with a rose-like flower taste. Tastes like Bath and Body Works made a beer. This is somehow a compliment. Earthy and memorable.

M-Thick and warming.

D-for a brew nearly 14% alcohol its pretty damn drinkable. But still, 14% is 14%. Every time I took a sip I grinned to my buddies at the bar. They weren't as excited as I was.

VelvetExtract, Jul 30, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Found this at Mitch's wine and spirits in Cincy. Before buying this I figured it would be close to 10%. I was quite shocked to find how big this one really was.

A: Copper, brownish with some cloudiness. Pours a nice 1-2 finger head with some lacing left behind after some time passes. Nice skim remains throughout the session.

S: Nose is citrus fruit, strong sweet tones, malt, and some faint booze.

T: Wow - this is a lot less destructive than I thought it would be on the palate - nice build up of bitter and malt along with a firey finish to remind you that this baby is just shy of 14%.

M: Really nice and smooth

D: If the ABV was lower, this would score higher on drinkability.

beerman207, Jul 26, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

I had this on tap at Local Option...This totally takes the crooked tree to a whole new level, it adds some complexity with a little citrus but makes the hops stronger, a nice bite to them, turns the hops from metallic to just a stronger hop finish. Super easy to drink at 13%.

This is one of the better dipas out there.

jrallen34, Jul 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

My 2nd time having this on-tap.

Pours dark copper orange, almost reddish. 2-finger white head turns to a thin ring and leaves some lacing.

Lots of hop oils, pine and fruit in the smell.

Starts off somewhat typical of a high ABV IPA. Big on pine and resin, very oily and bitter and noticeable alcohol. But more fruit comes in as it warms (citrus, lemon, grapefruit) and is balanced nicely with caramel malt. Booze is toned down after time and is nicely hidden.

Reminds me of Devil Dancer but way less harsh. Very drinkable for 13.6%.

Chico1985, Jul 24, 2010

Fourth beer from the Blind Beers BIF thanks to SHolland119.

Rust brown color into a Unibroue tulip glass. Head is tan and light with medium to large bubbles at about an eighth inch thick. Not getting much in aroma, could be a bit cold. Going to let it warm up a bit. Roasted barley is starting to come through, on the flavor side is a sharp alcohol flavor and medium malt taste with lots of bitter hops and very little on the floral / citrus side of things. This beer tastes fairly fresh as there is a crispness to the hops. Caramel and dark fruits, especially plum, now that the beer has had a chance to warm up. Aroma is now thick malt and candied sugars.

neorunner, Jul 22, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

On-tap in a 9oz snifter.

Appearance: Dark ruby red/amber with a half finger of head.

Smell: Bitter hops and grapefruit at first, then a wave of sugary and bready malts hit at the end, along with a boozy/alcohol burn/

Taste: Bitterness from the hops and a slight grapefruit at first and then the sweet sugary and bready malt flavor takes over with a boozy burn in the aftertaste. Definitely the typical barleywine taste more so than a DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy with a very sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very enjoyable beer, that can be argued as a DIPA or a barleywine. Either way this beer goes down far too easy for it's abv. Very drinkable, which could lead to problems if you have more than one in a short period of time.

Axic10, Jul 16, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Dark copper to brown bodied, khaki colored head of decent size lasts and laces. The scent is sweet caramel malts being watched over by serious citrus and bitter hops. The entire tongue is hit hard with taste when this brew hits it. Pretty big caramel malt character, but the main focus is on an intense hop profile, citrus and bitter, plenty of fruit notes. Creamy mouth, medium to full bodied. The 13.6% explains a hearty dose of warming alcohol as well. This beer is a bit pricy, but it is also very good.

Tballz420, Jul 13, 2010