Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,435 | Reviews: 884
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Served in a snifter.

APPEARANCE

This beer is murky! Definitely unfiltered. It pours a viscus reddish-brown color, and the head was a mere half-finger and went away very quickly. Just a few bubbles slowly trekked their way up the side of the glass - I can already tell that this beer is thick!

SMELL

Tons of malt in this bad boy. There is some citrus character from the hops, but this is definitely a malt-forward IPA. There is some graininess, and the alcohol definitely comes through. There is some dark fruits and the raisin character that comes from higher-abv beers (which I LOVE).

TASTE

Whew doggy! This guy packs a wallop! When first sipped, it was very cold. The flavors were tons of graininess, tons of sweet maltiness, and then a good amount of American hop flavor (citrus, slight pine). This isn't a grapefruit hop bomb - this is a lot more like a barleywine than an IPA! The bitterness comes through at the end, but for the most part this beer is a malt-slap in the face - the good kind, of course. The graininess and the color make this beer remind me of a well-made homebrew from someone trying to make an extreme double IPA. There is some fruitiness, as well as a big amount of breadiness.The boozy level is moderate. That being said, I just yawned and could feel the heat from the alcohol as I inhaled! It's well hidden, but definitely present.

MOUTHFEEL

At first, this beer seems like it would be a syrupy mess, but it finishes fairly dry. Which isn't to say this is easy to drink - it's DEFINITELY a sipper! The alcohol makes it pretty warming. This is an after dinner type of IIPA - the kind your pour and nurse for an hour.

OVERALL

This is a big, bold, and bad ass beer. It doesn't hide the fact that it's basically a barleywine, and it definitely isn't for the casual beer drinker. When people think of double IPAs, they often think of things like Pliny the Elder which is dry, bitter, and highly drinkable. Double Crooked Tree? Better bring your A-game, 'cause this one's not for the feint of heart. I'm not saying this beer is the most extreme IPA on the market, but after looking at the humble label and description on the bottle, one may be a bit surprised if he or she was expecting a hop bomb.

Cheers.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Big thanks too london1o1 for tossing this bad larry into a recent trade. You the man.

Pours a dark copper colored body that is quite foggy with a foamy tan head that sits around for a bit before dicipitating down to a thin lace.

Very sweet smelling. Seems very malty and has a huge hop kick to it as well. A faint smell of booze in the back.

Taste is a little boozy at first but mellows out a bit as it settles. Lots of hops and sweet malts, caramel, brown sugar, maybe even some dark and citrus fruits. Big bite of bitterness, but does not go over the top. Very tasty indeed.

Mouthfeel isnt too heavy, i'd say medium-heavy if there ever was such a thing. A bit chewy and nicely carbonated. Lives a great bitter aftertaste.

Overall this was a killer beer. Something I highly recommend for any hop heads.

2.8/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a rusty color with a small head

S: Booze, Earthy and caramel

T: Big and chewy. Malt heavy yes, hop heavy no. Loads of caramel and heat. Faded hops?

M: Big body but off balanced

O: Perhaps this beer was outdated as well. Pass on this one

3.95/5  rDev -5%

My 200th review. Poured into a Snifter. A bright ruby red. Almost the color of a maraschino cherry. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles lead to a small one finger, off white colored head. The head is quite creamy and luscious. Lace is sticking now but doesn't hang out to the end.

Smell is quite sweet and malty. Caramel and honey. I can even pull some booze from the nose and maybe even some bourbon barrel.

Taste is much like the nose. Candied malts, some sweet bitterness and alcohol burn is there early and increases a bit as this warms. Some burnt sugar and even some vanilla.

Mouth is sweet and sticky. Carbonation is medium and the end is so tongue lashing that is comes across as watery.

Overall I enjoyed this, but didn't love it. This is one of those that you chalk up as just too over the top. The malt body and sweetness just screams Barleywine not DIPA. The miniscule amount of hop character says the same thing. A sure try for a Barleywine lover. Thanks to claaark13 for this extra.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, no idea what the vintage is.

The look is really quite standard IPA, IIPA, or Bigfoot type Barleywine. With an immediate "oops" I poured a big slop of yeasticles, having forgotten how cloudy this was when I received it as a super thoughtful extra from Shango42, so I'm ignoring my own mistake. Still, a thin layer of fine yellowed bubbled formed up on top of a deeply hued orange beer.

I'm going to guess a more advanced age for this bottle. Treacle and a whole slew of caramelized sugars do a strong ale impression. Double Bastard, Brown Shugga? I thought I got a big whiff of tropical fruits when I popped the cap, but they are fleeting. Candied orange peel, orange liqueur, and something more exotic are still around.

It's very sweet, but hugely bitter and that hits you not all that far into the sip. Kind of sugary at first, brown sugar, and then wham! Candied orange turns to bitter orange peel and tobacco centralizing to a numbing lump of hop bitterness. Slightly tannic, as over steeped black tea is. There may even be a little oxidation in there.

The texture is really quite balanced. More carbonation might be appreciated, but for the age I'm guessing, not bad. Moderate-low carb with what you can tell is just the body of a big beer.

Double Crooked Tree is not quite what I expected. It's my belief that this bottle was old enough to have lost nearly all the hop aromas and flavors; one, two years? It is amazing how well the alcohol stays hidden. You can tell it's there, but I'd probably have guessed cold that it was closer to 9%, or less. I would still love to try the fresh product, but thank you very much Craig.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

We pour a syrupy brew of dark tawny. It showcases a brief one finger tan head, leaving little lacing as it recedes at a faster pace. There is a thick haze throughout, but no chunky sediment is noted. Carbonation appears light throughout. The aroma is rich with buttery diacetyls that blend warmly with roasty caramel malts. There is a clean bitter grassiness to the hops, which appear lighter and more airy than the darkness the malts provide. The malts go as far as being on the smoky side. On the far back, the nose presents some big boozy character. As we sip, the taste unravels with huge caramel malts at the forefront. There is a quick swoop of bright earthen hops. Both are cut and separated by honey sugars, and a rich sweetness of cooked caramel, sitting entirely independent from the malty sugars. The middle moves forward with more sugary sweetness, but here it is complex, with bold notes of plum. We ride to the finish with a big peppery alcohol, sweet caramel malts, clean citric hops, and some more musky, dirty hops. The aftertaste breathes of more booze, and with earthy bitterness of hops. The malts continue to balance, even in the aftertaste. The body is medium and the carbonation is medium. There is a beautiful stickiness to the feel, but a lack of coating, which helped to keep the drinker from becoming overwhelmed. Each sip provided a syrupy thickness and smack, which was highly satisfying. The abv is huge on this guy, and he is more of a sipper.

Overall, what we found most enjoyable about this brew was the complexity of flavor. The presence of caramel is quite apparent, and gives this a unique edge for the style. Additionally, the high abv lends a happy warmth to the feel, and to the drinker by the end of the bottle. The hops certainly took a backseat here, but it did not seem to take away from the success of the beer, as it can in so many other DIPAs where convention is thrown to the wayside.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

pours a hazy dull copper shade while yielding about a 1" foamy, beige toned head; decent retention but tons of lace.

a lot of pine and herbal hops evident in the nose along with a huge malt presence.

flavor is interesting (in a good way), unlike most DIPAs i've had. lot of pine and herbal hops pulling through, along with that tremendous malt backbone. it's a beer that could easily be mistaken for an american barelywine. full-bodied mouthfeel with some chew to it; adequate carbonation.

overall, while i'm not overly impressed, this beer brings a lot to the table. a great sipper when you tire of your run-of-the-mill DIPAs.

3.04/5  rDev -26.9%

12oz bottle, thanks Blake, to a La Fin du Monde tulip. No freshness date.

Pours a medium brown with a slight amber tint. Very dark DIPA here, hard to see though but doesn’t appear to cloudy or hazy. 3 inch light tan head that slowly dissipates to a cap and ring of foamy head. The lacing left behind is pretty good.

Deep malty notes in the smell, smells like a barleywine. Caramel, malt, slight alcohol and slight pine hoppiness. Again, the taste is barleywine-like. Fairly hot, big caramel and barley up front, roasted malt, almost coffee-like aftertaste, but it has a very nice level of bitterness. Low carbonation and a very full body as expected. Carbonation is nice but it is very thick and not very drinkable.

Kind of wish I had sat on this one for a while. As far as ageable DIPAs go this is one of the best I’ve had, kills 120 and other DFH, in my opinion. I guess I just don't like this style of IPAs so, for me, this one missed the mark, but I couldn't justify scoring it any lower.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

pours an unfiltered amber with two fingers of head.

smell is slightly sweet with orange and a good amount of hops.

taste is very unique. it is sweet but not in the way I usually don't like. hints of apple, cherries and berries. amazingly smooth for the alcohol percentage.

mouth is medium bodied and very smooth with good carbonation.

overall excellent an unique. too bad it is so hard to get...love the flavors.

Thanks to kzoobrew for sending me this one!

Pours a murky amber color with a 2 inch foamy light beige head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. A nice latticework of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smell is of pine and herbal hops, brown sugar, and sweet malt. Taste is of sweet malt, brown sugar, toffee, and a surprisingly subdued hop flavor on the finish. Very mild hop bitterness on the tongue after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and slightly sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good DIPA that reminds me a lot of a barleywine like others have mentioned.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Certainly time to get around to reviewing this beer as I've had it a ton of times. How it managed to sneak it's way in to Ohio with our pesky 12% limits is beyond me. Oh well, good for me.

pours dark amber, appearance of a BW rather than a DIPA; but more on that later

smells of sticky hops that are having a hard time separating themselves from all that malt. Confusing up front but pleasant to a BW lover.

Taste has plenty of alcohol but not much burn. It's tough to say what the hop presence on this was because I don't remember when theses were released and they stick around a bit around here for whatever reason. Very barleywine-ish. If I'm reviewing to style, I dock points, but I feel like I need to review to taste with this guy because he's a little confused what he wants to be when he grows up.

Smooth going down with a twinge of alcohol. You can tell this guy isn't 7%

Overall I'm torn on double crooked tree. To be honest I've never compared to regular crooked tree, partially b/c of no bottle dating and partially because I just like this beer. I don't tend to drink it as a DIPA but more of a barleywine. The bottle says it's good to age and I don't disagree. Some may be put off by a DIPA that recommends aging---I can't argue that point either. I have picked this one up at several different points over the past few months and come away satisfied each time. Not blown away, but good enough to come back again.

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from undated 12oz bottle into snifter.

Aroma: Very sweet and malty, brown sugar, buttery toffee, and pine resin. Not as hop-forward as I'd wanted in an IIPA.

Appearance: One finger of off-white head, pretty hazy ruby-copper body.

Flavor: Bitter, well-steeped sweet tea. Brown sugar and each nectar. This thick, malty brew falls between an old ale and an IIPA. Fruity alcohol profile with a touch of scotch. Bitterness is far from harsh, and does not linger like many IIPAs.

Mouthfeel: Thick, chewy, full mouthfeel. Medium-low carbonation. Some warming, but well-hidden booze.

Overall: A hoppy, higher-gravity Scotty Karate? Though too rich w/ too much alcohol to be sessionable, it was enjoyable. Not your standard IIPA, but I recommend you give it a try.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

2010 vintage poured from 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Murky, dark orange hue. Thin, bone-white head dissipates quickly and entirely, with just a whisper floating on the surface. Lacing completely disappears within a few moments.

S: Raisins, prunes, dates. Dark, overripe fruit. Not picking up any hops in the nose. Slightly solvent. Band-aid?

T: Initial sweet-and-sour flavor gives way to moderate bitterness. Finish is long and slow.

M: Medium body. Slick and oily texture. Lively carbonation. Moderately alcoholic finish.

O: A little disappointed. I'm starting to think I opened this too soon. Could definitely use more time to develop and mature. Taste was muddled.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a tulip glass at Dusty's Tap Room in Okemos. Displays a murky, swirly orangish-amber. The smell is hops, pineapple, malt, in that order.

A big mouthful of hops to be sure. The taste has a more pronounced pine-i-ness than does the aroma, also some tropical fruit, not so much malt.

Thick in consistency, more so than I'd expect for a DIPA.

Very good beer. Last DH beer I had didn't work for me, glad that seemed to be a one-off.

3.57/5  rDev -14.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a cloudy dark orange-amber with a creamy off-white head that settles to a nice cap, leaving behind some spotty lacing.
S - Big, pungent hop aromas of pine resin, grapefruit, and pineapple with a a big, sweet caramel malt backbone. Lots of pineapple, kinda reminds me of a pineapple-upside-down cake.
T - Follows the nose closely, lots of pineapple and grapefruit with a huge caramel malt profile. Like Crooked Tree, this is a bit malty for my tastes, I prefer my IPAs lighter and crisper. Still, the hop profile is nice.
M - Big and fairly creamy, with a medium-full mouthfeel and decent carbonation.
O - I wasn't a big fan of Crooked Tree because of the sticky-sweet malt profile, and this is obviously more of the same (except even bigger). I do like it more then Crooked Tree, but it's still not my preferred style of IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

A: dark amber with awesome head that stays in a thin layer on top

S: pineapple, grapefruit, obviously hops, malt, sweetness - this is going to be amazing

T: can definitely taste the hops and malts heavily. Amarillo hops? Tastes a lot like the pineapple and grapefruit I smelled, but it's spicy and bitter with the sweetness. Huge aftertaste. I get a ton of pine in this both in initial and aftertaste.

M: thick for an IPA, good carbonation, great coating of the tongue hides some of the IBUs until the aftertaste.

O: Awesome! I had no idea when I purchased this that it would be this good. I'll probably go back to the store that I bought this at and get another tomorrow.

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

This has to be one of the most extreme beers I have tried..

No bottling dating but I know it came out, acouple months ago? Maybe one month..

A: Probably the appearance I have ever seen, super soapy head that dies instantly, no lacing, and really just looks like crap literally.

S: Smell is pretty good, a slight sweet malt but not too much and some hops. Mainly citrus

T: A malty hoppy alcoholic punch to the face, wow. It's a good taste, I think fresh this thing could be great. The malt isn't too sweet and the hops seem to be very balancing.

M: With the high abv and being an IPA this thing really can't get better on the mouthfeel with age. So right now it's okay, definitely feel the alcohol.

O: This beer could be great fresh I bt, I am enoying as it is now but it's more like a barleywine than a double IPA.

Good beer

2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

First off, bad ass label! Poured into tulip and tasted directly after having enjoyed Crooked Tree.

A- Very hazy, almost opaque. Looks like dirty, rusty, filth water. Small head settles to a white ring quickly.

S- Very similar aroma as Crooked Tree, just tamed down a bit. Not as hoppy, still earthy. Malty and soapy aroma has me a, little worked.

T/M- Malt bomb... Wtf? Told this was fresh, but no way! Hot and carmelly. Not pleasant. There is a hop bitter ading in the tongue, but no supporting hop flavors to balance. Very slick and oily. Almost no perceived carbonation... Heavy and cloying.

O- Either this is not a great DIPA or waaay out dated. Hot and unpleasant. I was able to finish my glass (half bottle) but neither of us tasting this enjoyed it that much.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

A big beer in many ways; malts, hops, sweetness, and abv. Some of them it does better than others. It seems the malts and sweetness are stronger in the mix than I usually like in ipas. I want the hops to really stand out and shine on their own.it smells and tastes heavily of malts and caramel. The hops are there and pleasant, piney and earthy.Its not bad, but I usually like the hops to really stand out on their own,and they don't here.I won't seek it out but wouldn't mind drinking it again, hopefully on tap. Oh and whatever the abv is, 12 or 13.6, it goes down super easy for its strength.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Servint type - Bottle

Appearance - Mild brown/tan, killer 2 inch head, tons of lacing. Also has a unfiltered floater that looks like a jellyfish floating around!

Smell - Plenty of hops, some carmal, malts, alcohol. Some oak and spices are also there. The malts kinda overpower the smell.

Taste - Very piney grapefruit hops and lots of malts are the main flavor. Has a bold carmal and a tobacco-like flavor, then the alcohol warmth comes in. Malts have a oaked/roasted flavor. Spices are there and a pepper finish to this drink.

Mouthfeel - Hops pucker tounge, malts coat mouth, and palette is worked over then warmed by the booze. Aftertaste is carmal-ish and dry.

Overall - Pretty good beer. Really balanced and not over the top strong as i figured it would be. No way would i guess this 13.6%, wow. Very danagerous since its rather easy to drink. The price isnt too bad either, will have again!

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

2011 bottle poured into a white wine glass. Pours amber, the color of fresh apple cider, slightly hazy, with just a bit of off-white creamy head. No lacing here.

A little swirl and a sniff and I get alcohol right up front, not unpleasant, but definitely some ABV. Sweet, caramel malts, fresh cut apple, tropical fruits, and a faint hint of tobacco. I think the smell is what put the idea of color comparison to apple cider. Its very pleasant, nothing off about this one.

Bittering hops right up front and lasting on the tongue. A bit more than I would expect for 98 IBUs. Significant heat in the throat from alcohol. You can tell this is young. Man, the heat stays with it for a while between sips. There are caramel and toffee notes across this, but I am not getting much citrus or floral notes from any hops.

Mouthfeel is rich and well-bodied. Low carbonation. I am guessing this had a relatively high FG.

Overall I am looking forward to this in a year or two. Not sure how old it needs to be to really develop, but its young, like a barleywine in its first year. It reminds me of the 2011 DFH 120 I had. It needs to age.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. BIG thanks to 67couple for this big want.

A: Dark copper orange. Super thick pour for an IPA. Hazy as hell. Can't see anything through it. Lots of sediment left in bottom of bottle. Half finger, tan head that quickly recedes to a very small pool in the middle of the glass with a nice ring around the edge. Very sticky lacing.

S: All types of hops. Citrus, pine, floral. Very earthy. Big buttered biscuit malts, with slight caramel notes. As it warms a tad the malts really take over.

T: Very sweet upfront, with definite buttery flavors coming through, and a light caramel/toffee. Hops are very muted in the taste. Light piney bitterness, with light grapefruit and floral flavors lingering in the aftertaste. Very VERY slight alcohol warmness.

M: Full bodied. Has the consistency of some Imperial Stouts I've tried. Very creamy. Light to medium carbonation. Again VERY light warmness in the mouth that grows a bit in the stomach.

O: A good beer definitely. As others have said, much more reminiscent of a barleywine and not a Double IPA. 13.6%? I couldn't tell.

Pours a hazy orange-ish to amber color with a small white head. In the aroma, boozy citrus hops. In the taste, dry boozy citrus hops, almost just like the aroma. A smooth and medium to bigger bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry alcohol and hop in the aftertaste. A sipper, big hops and somewhat boozy.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A. I wasn't getting any significant head, so I up-ended the bottle just to get a finger of frothy sandy colored head that disappeared really quickly. I would say the body is a murky, translucent dark apple cider color, translucent only because you can see light through the edges of the glass.

S. Lots of good citrus and hops up front, I smell grapefruits and something more tropical, possibly pineapple and/or mango. Going deeper I get a good malt backbone, with a little bit of caramel in there for good balance and measure. All in all smells pretty sweet.

T. A lot more mellow than the nose was going for. I get the grapefruit flavor tinged with orange but the tropical notes are nowhere to be found. Hops are also a little grassier than the nose told me, but its not in your face. Backing that up is the malty note, which is breadier than my nose detected, and with only the faintest hint of caramel flavor there when I searched for it. Amazingly I don't detect any alcohol, surprised me since BA claims its over 13% and the Dark Horse website puts it at 12%. Ends on a bitter note, but I honestly think this could have been played up a little more. The caramel does pop a bit more as the beer warms.

M. Medium bodied, it coats your mouth without being sticky. Carbonation is rather low, but it actually glides over your tongue like liquid silk and doesn't grit or grate anywhere.

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

Awesome extra courtesy of recent swap with Stewmeister91.

Pours a very dark copper, nearing amber/mahogany. Definite reddish hues with single-finger cream-colored head which quickly dissipates leaving ample lacing.

Aromas are quite herbal and dank to say the least. Lots of floral hops here with lesser but substantial amounts of earthy and pine hops as well. Malts try to make any appearance and assert themselves but only a slight sweetness is detectable and that could be from a slight citrus hoppiness. A little too green for my liking.

The tastes begin with a nice subtle pale bready maltiness which is soon overcome by the copious amounts of floral and pine hops flavors. This is seriously dank; the second more resinous beer I have every had (sampled Founders Devil Dancer this past weekend, ironically, which was undrinkable...) Can't really taste anything past the greenery here so there's no need to mention anything else.

The mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. It definitely hides the 13%+ abv quite well, but unfortunately does not help to balance out the ridiculously unbalanced bitter/floral/resiny mess that is this beer. This is a classic example of hops-gone-wild. Finish is sticky and resiny and too unbalanced to actually enjoy this beer.

Overall, just no. Far too much sticky, dank, floral, herbal hops. This beer is like hops mixed with potpourri and really seems more of a gimmick than an actual beer. I really hope this 100+ IBU craze dies sooner rather than later...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company