Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,427 | Reviews: 882
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Deep red hazy pour with a small bubbly white head and lots of lacing.

S: Floral hops, bourbon whiskey, and caramel.

T: A little crazy. Strong palate of hop flavor complimenting the sweet malty liquor taste. Medium bitterness with a hot finish (can't be helped at this abv). This beer is a malt bomb and a hop bomb at the same time, and it gets a little difficult to pick apart. Nothing about it is subtle, but I know what I was asking for... and I more than got it.

M: Appropriate. Thick with medium-low carbonation. Not much else is possible in a beer of this insane size.

I got a four pack of this. First one was had 1 month after bottling and I recall a bigger and more satisfying nose. This one is at least 4 months old, and although the hop aroma had not left the beer entirely, it now takes a back seat to the malt and alcohol. I actually prefer the older bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: It poured with a small tan head that quickly died down on top of a really dark, dark red body.

S: The aroma has a very subdued hop aroma, but the dominate aroma is dominated by dark fruit and rich malt.

T: The taste starts out surprisingly balanced with some general sweetness and hop bitterness mixing together. The alcohol is present and dark fruit flavor like raisins is also present in the middle of the taste. The sweetness and bitterness both linger after the swallow.

M: The carbonation is kinda low, but that works out well with the decently thick body.

D: The beer is not really drinkable, but how could it be. It is a beautiful sipper and surprisingly manageable for its size.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Deep amber in color, looks more like a red or amber ale. Nice 1 finger foamy white head forms that hangs around for a shorter period of time. Some lacing is left on the sides of the glass but not much. Very odd looking dark IPA

S- Big malt sweetness, molasses and brown sugar. Bitey hop scents like citrus is in there but is dominated by the sweet malts. I like the smell, but not what I want in an IPA

T- well balanced front to back. The big malt scent is matched by an equally big hop taste. Molasses, citrus and pine are mixed together well throughout this one. Sweet, bitter, big and bold. The almost 14% is nowhere to be tasted

M- medium mouthfeel thats complimented by a nice carbonation full of small bubbles. goes down smooth and very easy to drink.

O- This beer is awesome. I usually like the unbalanced IPA, full of bitterness and no malt, but this is impossible to not appreciate.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown amber with a good looking foamy light tan 1 inch head. I think this looks really good.

Fruity hoppy scent. Fresh flowery hops with some citrus and tropical notes. Well wow, so far everything is what it should be in a dipa. Slight awareness of alcohol.

An initial spice is followed up by a sweet malt overcome by a large lot of piney hoppiness leading to a bitter finish. Its a tangy citrusy finish. Fruity overall, like some berries and tropical flavors. A caramel and light cocoa flavor that wasn't too apparent to me at first also develops as I drink more.

Mouthfeel is good, smooth, medium. Alcohol presence develops well.

Overall very good dipa. If I'm near this again will be tempted to buy 4 pack. As I threw back the last sip I realized where the alcohol was hiding.

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours out a fairly thick amber with plentiful off white foam that fades and leaves decent lacing.

Strong dank hop presence. Initially piney/resinous, but citrus and tropical notes are also noticeable. Finishes with a hint of caramel sweetness.

Has a smooth, complex flavor. At first the hops are all that I noticed, again, mostly piney/resinous, with a bitter aftertaste, and an almost boozy quality. As it warms and I make my way through the glass, the malts have a much stronger presence, smoothing out the beer and providing balance. Definitely has some barleywine qualities. I believe the label - I bet this does age well.

Medium bodied, and well carbonated.

Overall - an unusual and tasty IIPA. I had this on tap at DLD, and remember being more impressed with it there. Felt even more balanced, less bitter and creamier.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Pints & Quarts, Muskegon MI, 16 June 2011.

This pours orange-amber with a one finger eggshell head that sticks around for some time leaving spotty lace. On the nose, once it warmed up anyway, there are muted notes of pine resin soaked in caramel. I was surprised at how subdued the aroma was. In the mouth the caramel is the central ingredient, with copious quantities of pine resin really bombarding the tongue. The finish is long with pine but also a warming alcohol sensation, though this never gets boozey in the mouth. It's present, but as a supporting cast member.

Overall, this was a fine beer that I was glad to have the opportunity to try. Hard to think that something like this and Pliny are both under the same style umbrella, but it just goes to show how much variation there can be within one style.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Pours almost like an amber ale. Has a slightly frothy head and decent amounts of lacing. There's an easily noticeable viscosity to this one. It almost rolls out of the glass.

S- Begins as a citrus, grapefruit, and pine aroma. There's just about every hop aroma in this. Somewhat herbal as well. Caramel malt always plays a part too.

T- Tons of malt and tons of hops, in that order. I had expectations of this brew and thought it would be a juggernaut of IPAs. It turns out that it was one of the smoothest drinks I could have expected. When it's very cold, some intensity is there, but as it warms up it's extremely mellow.

For the loads of hops, you really just get a solid hop foundation for the malts. That being said, it leans slightly towards bitterness, but it's not bitter in an IPA/DIPA way. The malts really get a good part of the show. I can't say that the hops are weak either though. The malt is kept in check too. It's uncommon for such a heavy brew to have such balance.

M- Medium/full body. Carbonation does it's job but doesn't intrude. With all the alcohol in this, you'd expect to feel some heat, but I struggle to notice any. I notice more of a stickiness from the alcohol more than anything as well as the hops and malt.

O- Not what I was expecting at all. Lacking a lot in the bitterness department due to balance, and almost seeming more like a barleywine. I almost want to age one of these to see what happens. Bonus points are awarded for tremendous balance.

I wasn't disappointed with this one, but I definitely didn't get what I expected.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Mikasa Tulip.

Pours a deep amber with a one finger slightly tan head. The head recedes quickly leaving little lacing.

The smell is sweet malts and dark fruit, almost smells like a juice drink. There is a faint alcohol smell also. almost smells like a Barleywine.

The taste is sweet malt, dark fruit, some pine and earthy hops. The alcohol is very well hidden, its not even hot on the finish. The taste is more like a barleywine than a DIPA, I was expecting more hop presence.

The mouthfeel is a little thin and the carbonation is almost nonexistant. This needs both more body and carbonation.

Overall, this is not a bad beer, but i'm not sure where to clasify this one. It tastes good and I will drink it again, but imo, it's not really a DIPA or a Barleywine. it's stuck somewhere in between.

12oz bottle into a snifter glass

A- Pours a dark muddy murky brown with a thin 1 finger white head.

S- Pine and earthy hops with a nice tropical fruit background. Sweet caramel malts that are almost barley wine like. Definitely some alcohol in there as well.

T- Bitter hops up front that's quickly followed by sweet caramel malts and a nice mango, tangerine, orange peel, and citrus flavor. Definitely some booziness in there as well.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice bitter finish.

SkÅL!

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Finally, its been a long time coming for this brew.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a gold amber color and settles a dark, brownish-amber color. Walls of oily lacing leave bubble ribbons throughout the glass.
The nose is sweet smelling up front and holds a strong hop presence next to it. Caramel paired with citrus zest. The damn near 14% is present but stuggles to the spot. Pretty inviting.

The taste is a knockout. This is truely doubled down. Massive hop meets massive malt. A bitter, pine/citrus hop offering is noticed first, followed by some sweet caramel malt and sweet honey. Again, where the hell is this 13.7%? There is a nice balance obtained here.

The mouthfeel is full-bodied, smooth, and packed with a carbonated, bitter end. Overall, bomb ass brew and like they say, "double the pleasure, double the fun". BOOM.

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

A: semi-cloudy burnt orange/slight leather hue, trace head, a little lacing

S: big boozy punch, pine, smoky, leather, mango, orange rind

T: sweet rind/citrus front, boozy smoky malt, long oily bitter finish

M: med body, sticky, oily mouth

O: Almost seems like this beer wants to please everyone.
Huge boozy taste, big smokiness, and lots of hops.
Barleywine + Wee Heavy + Double IPA = padded cell for palate!
I enjoyed this experience, but it was hard to finish one.
Will save the remaining to share with others.
Perhaps they should created their own style for this.
Worth trying, to be sure, but GO SLOW!

GOOD, MAYBE JUST NOT MY THING!

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

2011 bottle poured into teardrop beer glass.

A - Pours a cloudy amber/light brown, with a cream colored head. Light doesn't even pass through, interesting for an imperial IPA.

S - Well this certainly doesn't smell like it's been extremely hopped. Plenty of malts/barley in the front, almost smells more of a barleywine. Hints of piney hops at the end of the smell.

T - Mix of malts with earthy hops, quite complex and full. Long lingering taste of barley and alcohol. Debating whether this is a hopped barleywine, or barley IIPA. With warmth, piney hops come to the front more.

M - The bitterness of the hops is masked a bit with the burn of alcohol. Hops become more biting as it warms, but after dying away, left with a warming alcohol burn. Quite soothing.

O - A different and unique take on a IIPA. Once warmed up a bit, makes for a complex beer that takes alot to sift through, and not to mention, plenty of flavors to mask the 13% alcohol until the very end.

3.37/5  rDev -19%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Pours a murky copper with almost no head. No surprise there at 13.6%. A little bit of lacing, but not much. Doesn't really appear to be all that thick, either, though.

Smell - Booze primarily, then caramel malt. A hint of hops struggles to shine.

Taste - Not bad, considering. The hops are never going to shine through this beast, but it doesn't taste bad. A bit of hops at the beginning, then malty sweetness, but not overbearing. Slightest metallic bitterness to the finish. It's not bad, but there's no complexity.

Mouthfeel - Not as thick as I though. They seem to have attenuated this thing well, considering the ABV. Low carbonation, but I'm not surprised. I give it credit for how light it is, again, considering the ABV.

Overall - I'm not impressed, but I'm not disgusted. It has its redeeming characteristics. I feel pretty good after drinking it! Unfortunately, I'm not in the "bigger is better" camp for beer.

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for the 2009 cwxc818!

A - Pours a dirty brown like a rusty water. Surprisingly I get a nice half inch of head and really...? a nice bit of lacing sticking to the side.

S - Mostly slight alcohol, yeast, and a bit of caramel similar to a barleywine but with a bit of hops thrown in.

T - Taste more alcohol if anything so I assume with the hop presence being subdued it doesn't really keep well. Taste mostly of caramel, burnt sugar, and dead hops. Had to sip it or it would make me gag.

M - HEAVY metal... lol seriously it is not for the faint of heart. Alcohol could never calm down on this beast.

Overall glad to try might have this fresh (possibly on tap) to see if that makes a difference but could never imagine this beer is possible. More ABV than Devil Dancer? I can tell.

3.72/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Lost Abbey Stemmed glass.

Appearance: Dark brown with no head but a lacing forms.

Smell: Citrus and malty booze.

Taste: Very malty, a little alcoholic, very sweet. Hops are strong and try to balance it out. They come close but overall this is still too sweet and malty. I guess that is expected at 12%.

Mouthfeel: A little thick but that is to style, however there is a nice carbonation component to this beer.

Overall: It is okay. In my opinion not worth the big bucks for it, but I would certainly never turn it down.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Here is a beer that will sneak up behind you and rob your brain. Sort of proud, another great Michigan beer...from my birth state. Good solid pour of two fingers in my glass. Thick and frothy head of off white bubbles, leaving a solid clinging lace. Looks like a 16 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is intoxicating, with aromas of lots of citrus, and also a sort of sweet smell of orange/mango. Taste is a good pucker factor of grapefruit, lime, orange, and the sweetness of raisins, and banana/peach/mango, followed by the underlying flavor of malt. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with a drying effect on the side of my tongue and back of my throat. I like this brew, the kick comes just a little later than the great taste, but when it does kick, you better lay down or fall down. A bit pricey, but I would give up a movie for more of this. Did I mention it came from my birth state.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Intro: Split a 12 oz. bottle with a friend in tulip glasses.

Appearance: Minimal head with ample carbonation and lacing that clings to the rim. The color is darker than a typical DIPA. Color was a dark amber color with a slight cloudiness. It does not look oily.

Smell: Sweet citrus and hoppy smell

Taste: Strong and rich hop flavor with a slight bitter bite, a little harsher than others in the style like HopSlam or Unearthly, some malty tones on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Oily coating in the mouth and some dryness as well.

Overall: This is a beer I would go back to again and again. It’s one of my favorite DIPAs, right behind HopSlam, slightly ahead of Unearthly and Burton Baton. If you are a hop head you have to try this one.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

I got this 12oz bottle from Mike (Whybenormal) in a BIF. Thank you. I poured into my Boulevard snifter.

A-quite a bit darker and murky with caramnelbrowns and a hint of red, the head is lively with tight bubbles and excellent lacing

S-its like a hopheads candystore: I smell pine, grapefruit, mango. It smells sweet and sticky. I cant wait to taste this one

T- All that and a bag of chips. The oily pine comes right at you, with lapping layers of sweet sticky bitterness, and a smooth layer of grapfruity goodness washing over the whole thing, with a slight malty bready, tangy, bitter, alcohol finish

M- it's ALIVE, tossing and turning. Tingling and poking, and goes down like a mossy scotch

D- YES, YES, YES. this one is a winner. A well balanced, perfectly made DIPA

2.96/5  rDev -28.8%

A: Gentle pour to retain yeast. A wisp of white head remains. Crimson red liquid is pretty, but I'd like more head.
S: Booze, some hops, toffee, wet cardboard. Too boozy, off aroma detract.
T: Dried fruit sweetness with a slightly port-like flavor. Not terribly bitter which is surprising for a beer with 98 IBUs. Decent, but skews too boozy and malty. I'd like more hop flavor and aroma. Alcohol is too strong, flavor is very much like a barleywine.
M: Lands a bit flat. Warm but not hot. Syrupy.
D: I wouldn't order or buy this again. I love DIPAs, but I prefer them to be uber-hoppy rather than barleywines in DIPA clothing.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

Never had this one before. Sent as an extra in a recent trade.

A- Really dark orange dirty looking pour. Seems like a lot of sediment in there. Screw it, it could look like dogshit but the smell is telling me something else. Lets just give this a 4 and see what develops.

Smell - Crazy good. Citrusy and wonderful. I'm ready to drink this shit through my proboscis/snout/nose.

Taste - Excellent. One of the best DIPA's I've ever had, and they are not usually my style.

Mouthfeel - Good, very solid.

Overall -Definitely something I would like to try again. A difficult get considering my zip code but would be happy to get some more at some point.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

Really great DIPA!

Appearance - Nice red-orange color, off-white head. I give it a 4.5 because the color is what I would expect from a DIPA...I guess I didn't give it a 5 because the appearance wasn't something that caught my attention. Mine did pour clear, which doesn't seem to be the trend from this brew...but hey, that's what I got.

Smell - This is the most unique, and my favorite part of the beer! Citrusy, oaky...almost strawberry like. The smell of this brew makes me want to drink it.

Taste - Great! It's a wonderful tasting brew, it's not a DIPA that I instantly said, "this is the best I've ever had!" but, pretty darn close...hence the not 5 score.

Mouthfeel - okay...at 13.6%, we would expect it to be a bit syrup-like, but I think it's just a little too much for my taste.

Overall - really really great brew, just short of being great...again, in my opinion. That being said...I'll probably grab another bottle next time I'm at the local brew store. :)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Taken from notes on 4.6.11

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a carmel brown-orange with a one finger creamy orange head. Some floaters present.

S - A slight citrus scent is present, that is it.

T - Sweet carmel and orange.

D - Sticky in the mouth.

O - The floaters had me wondering what was going on here.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Pours a very murky dark caramel color with some slight orange edges. There is a nice 0.25 inch head that is off-white, almost meringue like. It is quite dense and a bit sticky.

S - Aroma is of sweet malt and caramel followed by some nice juicy explosive hop sweetness. There is some nice piney resin to the beer. Quite piney in fact with some mild grassy and earthy malt tones. Slightly boozy and citrus notes.

T & M - Taste starts with some nice sweet malt notes with some caramel and some nice fresh toasty bread. Nice earthy and sweet malts. This is then complimented by some nice resiny and oily pine and hop juice notes. Very delicious and slightly sweet. The hops also have a nice citrus notes to it but its only complimentary to the pine. Some peach and some apricot as well as some nice grapefruit. Very nice leathery notes are present as well as the hops finish. There is a good bitterness to the beer. Im surprised these hops have lasted as well as they have. Very nice oily mouthfeel with some slight dryness on the back end and a good bitter finish.

O - Great brew. Worth the hype and a very nice DIPA with good overall flavors and a very nice mouthfeel.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Small light tan head sticks around. Body is opaque brown with orange highlights. Already huge amounts of lacing. The aroma is sweet from the malts with a nice amount of citrusey hops. Flavor has some orange to it, the sweetness from the body is nicely balanced by the huge hops. There is a good amount of bitterness, but it is amazing how much more flavor and aroma there is. Mouthfeel is pretty good - almost no alcohol, but is a little too syrupy for me.

Overall DCT is an amazingly drinkable and enjoyable huge DIPA

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: 12 0z. bottle, marked 13.6% ABV with no freshness date, poured into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Darker orange too caramel brown in color. Pours a nice beige head that sticks well to the outside of the glass.

Aroma: Pine, mango, and pineapple notes from the hops are all present. A really complex hop profile, made nicer by the fact that the caramel sweetness of the malt is a great balance and adds to that complexity even more.

Taste: The pine and tropical fruit notes from the hops are definitely there. The caramel paired with these makes for a sweet beer. The ABV is well hidden, except in that fact that there is a lot of residual sugar. Refreshing and complex at the same time.

Mouthfeel: Definitely on the heavier side, but smooth and refreshing nonetheless.

Overall, a really unique and challenging IPA. The hop flavors are spot on and this really packs a punch. Really good balance as well. Definitely an extreme version of the style though and I can see it being perceived as cloying sweet, although I believe it was not. Definitely plan on having again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company