Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

pours a nice rich looking ornage/amber with a thin finger thick crown of head.
thick citrus and pine dominate the aroma. there is also a touch of alcohol. once you get in there a little more you notice a pretty rich malt asect too, lots of caramel, toffee, biscuit, maybe just a bit of vanilla.
the taste has a pervasive hop character, big resinous juicy citrusy and piney hops. beneath lies a beefy malt backbone though. think imperial ESB for the malt profile. very toffee/biscuity leaning and very satisfying. barely a whisper of the huge abv.
the mouthfeel is full bodied with a smooth moderate carbonation. silky and very pleasant.
the drinkability is remarkable for the size of this beer, i honestly drank it like i would a 6% IPA. it's fantastically balanced, and finley crafted. not a double IPA for those of us looking for a hop bomb though. it's very hoppy, but it keeps itself in check.

kmo1030, May 28, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -5%

12oz bottle courtesy of peteophile44 thanx bro.

A: poured an amber brown with a thin head and a little bit of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: lovely piney hops up front with hints of citrus fruit, little bit of booze and a good malt presence.

T: nice oily piney sweet hops hit the palate first with a sweet malt balance that help balance out the flavor and a citrus pop that helps give a crisp bitterness.

M: medium body with not much carbonation that has an oily feel and a crisp bitter finish.

D: overall was a pretty decent DIPA but still lacked on the hoppy punch. Was a little bit to sweet with not enough hops playing a bigger role.

Gobzilla, May 26, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

12 oz. bottle served in a tulip

A - Very dark amber in color and nontransparent. A small white head appeared after pouring, but quickly disappeared. Lacing makes a brief appearance, but falls back into the liquid in mere seconds.

S - Citrus, floral hops, honey, and sweet, woody malt.

T - Sugary malt up front with notes of dried apricot, wildflower, and bread. This is quite hot, and the alcohol flavor is almost medicinal, approaching cough syrup at times. The finish is a pleasant, slightly underwhelming, hop bitterness. I know the recipe - twice the hops, twice the malt vs. Crooked Tree - be that as it may, this is underhopped for my palate. Perhaps I've been spoiled by all of the west coast beers which I've had lately, but this is far more akin to a strong ale than a DIPA.

M - Medium-heavy, this gets slightly syrupy as it heats.

D - The high gravity and the alcohol's transparency limit its drinkability. This is meant to be sipped. Kudos to Dark Horse for putting this in 12 oz bottles instead of bombers.

To be honest, I was slightly let down by this. I'd heard people raving about it, and it didn't completely deliver for me. It's a well-made beer, and enjoyable, but it doesn't satisfy my hop craving like I thought it would. That said, give it a try for yourself. From what I've heard and read, there's a relatively high amount of variance in different people's reaction to this brew.

klikger, May 25, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

NorthsideFred, you are too good to me - Cheers!

Actually appears thick on the pour, and admittedly a little intimidating. I mean, I might have to chew it. Appearance on the full glass confirms this - so viscous it might get caught in my teeth. Looks like red clay mud with a little visible carbonation running throughout. Initial 1 finger foamy white head fades to an immediate bubbly skim. Huge rings of lace remain behind.

Thick caramelly buttery grains fill the nose but somehow manage not to muscle out the light and juicy citrusy hops that I expected to be dominant.

Exceptionally bright and effervescent carbonation is the only thing keeping me from drowning in the bigness of this beer. Alcohol is high and definitely present, but doesn't sting or burn. It warms nicely and complements the extremely bitter, pithy citrus and dank, sappy hops well. Great toasty grain and some sticky, nutty sweetness round out the profile. Alcohol vapors linger like drinking liquor. Such depth in both flavor and texture makes for a really nice beer.

Drinkability is like cooking bacon - deliciously low and slow.

kels, May 25, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

A - A bold mahogany brown color that is hazy. Dense thick tan head that laces pretty well and has good retention. Looks like this one's gonna be great.

S - Wow! So much malty goodness. Citrus. Pine. Some cocoa powder. And of course, hops.

T - WOW!!! What flavor! All the nose and more! Complex tasting, almost like a barleywine. Tastes sort of like a chocolate orange. The malt is there and it compliments the hops SO well. This beer is extremely hoppy but also extremely malty so it tastes oh so smooth all the way through. Pine, grapefruit, dark fruits. Very, very earthy flavors. This tastes like Ommegang Dubbel meets Dogfish 90 except 5% stronger ABV. The alcohol is SO well hidden. If I had to guess, I'd have guessed it was 8.5%. The alcohol is also very warming.

M - Perfect. So well balanced, perfectly hopped, perfectly carbonated. Fairly full bodied and whole. Creamy almost. This is extremely impressive.

D - What more can I say than this beer is HUGE. That's the best word to describe it. Everything about it is gigantic and it lives up to the big scary medieval sci-fi monster art on the bottle. Infinitely well hopped. I'm shocked this one didn't get an A or an A+ from the Bros. This is great. Smooth and strong.You DO feel the alcohol after even just half a beer and you probably can't have more than 2. But my oh my. This brew is a man among boys. If beer flowed through the River Styx, this is the beer that'd flow through it.

jmerloni, May 24, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Notes from 5/3/10 tasting; bottle poured to tall tulip glass.

A--cloudy amber-brown, some orange, tight 1-finger head that slowly disappeared

S--pine and citrus hops, maybe candy sugar or molasses, some malt

T--sweet roast malts, very hoppy--citrusy and floral, strong alcohol impact, almost like a barleywine, mellowed a bit and improved as it warmed

M--good mouthfeel, a bit highly carbonated

D--enjoyable glass, but it's a sipper and I will spread out my 4-pack in individual tastings

DrewHodges, May 23, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured thick for any style of ipa, poured pretty aggressive and got maybe 2 cm of a head. Deep copper sort of color. I smell molasses, an absence of citrus hops, not very floral...the smell is deep and dark if such words are applicable.
Taste tons of gooey and sappy hops backed up with sweet, caramel flavor. Not especially bitter, but the alcohol adds a little kick to the finish.
Creamy texture, really interesting for a double ipa. Rich texture, mild carbonation is just right. Texture matches well with the flavor. This is a dense beer, the alcohol is dangerously well disguised but the richness helps keep me from getting plastered. I will definitely pick up more of it, especially with its potential for a long shelf life.

liquidcraft, May 23, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into nonic.

A: This poured very thickly for an IPA, almost syrup-like. Murky brown body with very minimal head. No lacing whatsoever. Very ominous beginning!

S: Very pine-centered hop aroma with plenty of caramel and malt backing it up. I expected a stronger hop aroma but it was nice just the same.

T: I realized that this was still a little too cold initially so I let it sit for a bit. It opened up very nicely---primarily a pine hop taste with some citrus lingering. I'm amazed at the reviewers who are saying that this isn't 'hot'. It was pretty hot for me. The alcohol and the piney-ness blended very nicely. I really liked it.

M: This is by far the 'thickest' IPA I've had. Very creamy and dense!

D: I loved the taste but at 13.6% abv I was feeling it after 8-10 sips. A second one was out of the question!

This one really surprised me. I expected it to be very sweet due to residual sugars but that wasn't the case at all. As mentioned above the heat blended perfectly with the piney hops! A gem!

Adamdc, May 22, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter

A: A vigorous poor yields a 1 cm off-white head which fades into a swirl of bubbles with a small crown over the course of about five minutes. This beer is an opaque, murky, golden-brown. It looks a lot like apple cider. Some lacing, though not very much.

S: The hops dominate here with the smell being almost exclusively that of pine. Perhaps some citrus fruits deep down. Not as complex or interesting as I would have liked.

T: Definitely not as proportional of a hop taste as the smell would indicate. The hoppiness comes across more as a citrus taste (lemons, oranges, grapefruit) to which the toasted malt taste compliments very nicely. Hardly any alcohol hotness.

M: One of the first thoughts I had when I took my first taste was, "Wow, this is much creamier than I was expecting." On the lighter side of carbonation, but it coats the palate very nicely, and has a wonderful feel.

D: Phenomenal. Every sip left me eager for another.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised how good this beer was. Dark Horse is a small brewery often overshadowed by its next door neighbor, Bell's. I think this beer may help change that and give them a little more attention/respect. I would highly recommend this beer.

glazeman, May 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz. A quite dark amber pour. Just a thin ring of off white head. Only a slight amount of lacing.

Aroma has much resiny pine presence. Some malt and toffee behind. Hint of citrus and an almost woody quality.

Taste is very balanced. Mix between the malt and pine central hops. Caramel, toffee, citrus and light red fruit. Finishes with a pleasant bitterness, very clean with a hint of char-likeness.

Sticky body, but not overly mouth filling. For a beer this big it is very drinkable. Alcohol is not present and it slides down very well. Could be very dangerous stuff.

Bung, May 22, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a hazy auburn with one finger of sticky light tan foam that lasts and lasts and drops an unbroken sheet of lace.

S - Sweet caramel and toffee malt, orange, dried mango, pine hop aroma.

T - Leads with plenty of malt sweetness, with caramel and toffee, dried fruits - mango, golden raisin, apricot. Hop flavor picks up in the middle with pine and citrus, then builds to a gently bitter finish.

M - Full bodied. Soft, with light carbonation.

D - I'm usually skeptical of any "double the original recipe" beers, but this one works for me. It could still use some additional bittering and aroma hops, in my opinion, and it gets a little boozy toward the end of the glass, but overall, it's an enjoyable beer.

trbergman, May 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A-Pours a murky amber color with a small head even with a vigorous pour and no lacing.
S-Fragant pine, hops, malt, grapefruit and caramel.
T-The roasted malt flavor dominates this beer for me with some expected bitterness, but sour citrus fruit notes are present and the heat of the alcohol is at the finish. Nice smokey afternotes.
M-Creamy texture with moderate carbonation and bitterness.
D-I like this beer. It has an oakey richness that lingers in a good way. With its high ABV this could be a dangerous brew...oh well!

bierenutz, May 22, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

The Double Crooked Tree is essentially the same exact beer as the Crooked Tree, however, all ingredients besides the water is doubled. According the guys @ Dark Horse, "this is exactly how a double shouldbe." I agree completely.

The Double Crooked Tree pours a dark coppery amber color with a creamy off white-head. The aroma is extremely complex, with rich maltiness at first whiff, then the coffee, caramel, & berries hit. The distinctiveness of the coffee is complemented with a bit of chocolate. The flavor is very similar to the qualities of the aroma; rich, complex "medium-full malty sweetness on the palate yet finishes moderately dry." Diacetyl is apparent in the back, however, not unpleasant. The mouthfeel is very heavy, as i expected, & i must say that this beverage is a "1 & done" or you'll be falling on the floor after getting off that bar stool.

Overall Impression: I loved all aspects of this wonderfully crafted brew from Dark Horse & would suggest you go out & try it for it for yourself.

LehighValleyEats, May 21, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Randalld for this great xtra! served in SN 30th snifter.

A: Pours a deep mahogany with some ruby highlights. Slightly murky. A nice little head results from a vigorous pour, but it vanishes pretty quickly. Good looking beer.

S: Piney hops dominate. Some sweet caramel in there as well.

T: Not as hop forward as expected, but @ 13.6abv there has to be a boatload of malty goodness. Piney, resiny hop flavors with just a hint of citrus. Gooey orange marmalade. Flashes of heat here and there. Mild malty sweetness blends well with sweet honey drenched hop flavors.

M: Very good. Slick with just the right carbonation.

D: Considering the abv, drinkability it good.

Really glad I got to try this one. It fell a little short of my expectations. I love the regular Crooked Tree IPA and I'll probably grab the double again if I have the opportunity, but I won't seek it out.

AdamGarcia, May 21, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -5%

Continuing on the DIPA journey.
Remarkably balanced aroma with a roasty, somewhat darker malt aroma readily apparent. Hopes are almost muted, considering the style. They hold a mildly fresh presence of a more generic grass, woodsy quality. Clearly not dry-hopped or intensely American style 3-C types of hops.
Darker sample than most others. Heavier amber with gold/oranges on the bottom and a gradually advancing brown as approaches the dense and creamy tan cap. Certainly above average lacing.
Quick little hop/bitterness bite right up front. It's brevity is interesting as it escapes for a bit, allowing other flavors to show forth, but returning in an extended bitterness on the finish. Alcohol is clearly more apparent on this one and it carries with it a heat that carries through the finish (at 13.6% I guess it would be noticeable - Yikes!). Slight boozy quality. Likable mild fruit malt sweetness upon entry.
Creamy texture with a soft feel on the palate. Smooth with exceptionally fine carbonation.
There are many fine aspects to this beer. It actually is a little too big. I think I'd like it more closer to 9%-10%.
Because of it's size I have to hold down the drinkability scores. I'd like to score this a little above 4.0, but I wouldn't/can't change any of my individual scores as they accurately describe my experience, so I'll leave as is. Might this be closer to an American Strong Ale?

garymuchow, May 21, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

pours a very murky orange-brown with a small white head that dissipates quick but leaves plenty of lacing on the glass.

smells of grapefruit, grass, and piney hops with a strong malt background bringing in some sourdough toast, raisins, and fruit cake.

taste reminds me of a barleywine. plenty of malts as well as hops. fruity with sour oranges, bitter grapefruit, tropical fruits like pineapples and passion fruits, and some sweeter fruits like raisins, and plums. toasted malt is present providing some caramel and maple syrup flavors. also, some graininess and plenty of booze.

medium bodied with medium carbonation some bitterness on the finish, but overall a drying which works well to make you crave the next sip.

goes down better than I expected from the first couple sips. not that they were bad, just rather strong. but everything is in balance enough to make you keep sipping. alcohol is there, but not too strong. overall, a powerful beer.

silentjay, May 19, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to exiled for sharing this beer.

The beer pours a clear orange color with an off-white head. The aroma is orange citrus hops with some caramel malt. I also get some pineapple in the aroma. The flavor is sweet orange with low-medium bitterness. No detectable alcohol, making this a dangerous beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, May 19, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Big thanks goes to sweemzander for tracking this beer down for me. I was told to drink this ASAP so here it goes.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is dark red orange with brown high lights. A thin wisp of head attempts to form but fails. A tiny soapy lace ring rests on top of the beer.

The aroma is full rich hop boquet. Like sticking your nose in a bowl of fresh dank wet hops. Hardly any bitterness. This has one of the better hop aromas I've enjoyed.

The flavor is smooth citrus and pine hops. Very barley wine like. No real bitterness or harsh bite. Just as smooth as glass. A touch of malt peaks it's head out in the finish to give it a bit of balance. Just a touch of booze can be picked out. Not hot at all which is surprising with the high ABV.

Medium to full bodied. light carbonation.

Overall very nice. Glad I scored a few of these.

beerwolf77, May 19, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is darker than most of the Triple IPA's I've come across at 12% abv (per the website) and as dark as this one pours this is a midwest monster of a beer. Deep amber bodey with a large khaki tan head forming nice above the rim of my Chimay chalice, lacing is fine and even with each sip. Aromatics bring it with extreme grapefruit/pine hop tones off the bat. Deep rich hoppiness wrapped with layers of caramel malt tones. Alcohol esters are evident but it doesn't seem fusel actually well meshed all things considered. Flavor again meshes things extremely well abeit a bit sweet, it still works with the grapefruit/pine/resinous feel it has going down, a bit of alcohol warms you up but doesn't overpower the show and the malts range from caramel to straight concentrated citrus juice sweetness...hop candy for sure. Full bodied soft even carbonation the alcohol does end a bit boozey especially as it warms, this is definitely a DIPA/TIPA that borders as a a barleywine/Old Ale. The only difference here is hops, that is what really defines itself as more of an exponential IPA. I threw the yeast more than ample yeast sediment into the glass after swirling the last pour from the bottle it really murks things up in a good way, one of the most drinkable and unoffensive high alcohol, highly hopped brews I've come across. The hop burps are a thing of beauty, this is up there with my Moylan's Hopsickle experience.

WVbeergeek, May 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A- A copper amber color with little head and minimal retention. Lacing is moderate and the color is hazy.

S- Tons of hop resins available in the nose, almost attacking it from the very beginning. Hints of fruits; oranges (maybe blood orange), grapefruit, and maybe pineapple. The end of the nose molds back into the dominating hop oils.

T- A thin amount of sweet malt of caramel and a bit of bready flavors that explode into a dominating citrus bitterness. Tastes of grapefruit and blood orange dominate the citrus notes while a smooth alcohol warming sensation hits the back of the mouth. The alcohol taste blends back into a lingering bitter aftertaste that is combined with a slightly dry finish.

M- Medium body, more towards the lighter end of medium to be more specific. Smooth and slightly dry in the mouth as the alcohol warms. Medium carbonation makes this refreshing.

D- The bitterness works great in this beer and isn't there just for the sake of making a bitter beer. In result, this beer is highly drinkable even though it packs a punch.

Notes: Wow, a great I.P.A. Mouth feels a little worked after this one, but it was worth it.

Lolli1315, May 18, 2010

Poured in to a Duvel tulip

A - Amber with the slightest bit of orange colour. Half a finger of creamy white head. Some minor carbonation.

S - Abundance of bitter citrus (grapefruit) hops and some floral notes too. A sweet caramel malt prescence lurks in the background.

T - Bitter citrus hops - grapefruit and orange peel. A strong malt presence too - with a somewhat sweet caramel flavour. The more I drink, the more prevalent the malts become. The beer is a little "hot" at first but mellows out as I drink it.

M - Medium body. Lightly carbonated.

D - A good DIPA but somewhat strong.

TheSevenDuffs, May 16, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a dark red, doesn't look like an ipa or iipa at all. Hardly any head at all, probably more to do with the pour than the actual beer, as I've had this befoe in bottle and there has been plenty. Smells are hops, malts and a little fruit, maybe some plums. I taste some hops in the front, a little caramel and a slight hoppy finish. Delicious. Mouthfeel is thick, but not overly thick with slight carbonation, feels really good. This beer would be drinkable as an "average" abv beer, at 13% this is unbelievable drinkable. It should be a sipper, but it's so damn smooth you need to watch out.

Lukafer, May 16, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

On tap at Isaac Newton's in Newtown PA. Poured a a golden - brown color with a thick light brown colored heading. Left some lacing not much. Looks like a very viscous thick heading.

Smell is bitter at first then replaced by the heavier malts,slight spicey notes as well.

Taste to me is more of a barleywine. Very heavy malts from beginning to end. Some bitterness on the palate but are squashed by the heavier roasted malts.

Mouth is again same as it looks. Very heavy on the palate. A somewhat spicey hop lingeres on the palate.

I will say this. For 13% ABV you will not find a more drinkable beer than this. It is so well hidden you forget that this a bit of a monster.

TheFightfan1, May 16, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Color is a dark orange almost brown with some amber tints. Pours with a thin 1/2 inch off white head that quickly disappears, leaving a thin ring around the edge of the glass with almost no lacing.

S: Smell is complex, with some green piney and citrus hops mixing in with a serious malt backbone. Picking up some brown sugar or molasses, caramel, and golden raisins.

T: Taste is quite sweet on initial impression. Lots of caramel with hints of vanilla, and golden raisins. Huge hop flavors do a nice job of balancing the malty sweetness. Mainly citrus and heavy green, resiny hop flavors start early in the taste and continue through to the finish. Long, bitter finish with plenty of flavor. Just a little heat. Alcohol (for 13.6%) is actually fairly subdued and doesn't really show up until the beer warms a bit.

M: Definitely big, almost to the point of cloying. Carbonation is fairly high and gives a nice lively feeling on the tongue, balancing some of the heavy mouth feeling.

D: This is quite nice for a super big DIPA (or triple IPA?). It is well balanced and a little too easy to drink (for the ABV).

oregonskibum, May 15, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured a 12 oz bottle of this into an oversized red wine glass.
A: Brown amber, it poured with a mall tan head that died to a thin collar.
S: Sweet malt, fruity bread, grapefruit cranberry spicy hops which come off leafy and moldy, molasses tobacco, and raisins.
T: Sweet syrupy malts, strawberries with a soft lingering bitterness. Expected pleasant balance of the aroma in the taste. It comes off almost Belgian with the raisins and molasses.
M: Mildly syrupy and creamy and frothy.
D: Very good considering its high ABV.

ne0m00re, May 14, 2010