Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Many thanks to googzoid10 (or was it KeefD? Pretty sure it was googzoid10) for this stuff from Dark Horse, which so far has led me to encounter some pretty fine offerings at fests and via trade. 12 oz. into the Duvel tulip, the vessel of choice this evening.

The color is a perfect bourbon. Maybe a little bit of chill haze. The head is...well...nonexistent, really. Slight translucence and very little carbonation.

Definitely some solid citrusy hops in this one - there is a significant barley wine component with a little age on this, I gather. Nice essence of "C" hops remains, although a little subtle. Huge caramel malt and a mellow Aussie sticky sweetness.

Whoa camel - the hops are still there and they're getting along fine with a little astringent hardcore booziness. The malt creates an interesting light syrup feel. Overall there's still a nice synergy for the most part.

Sily caramel feel is nicely mitigated by what at one point would have been some incredible hop character; even now it's subtle but there. Finish is coordinated and synergized nicely. What was once an astringent alcohol booziness is now an expected sweet booze kick.

Definitely well-constructed and solid but it does drink a little heavily and slow. The massive booze quotient doesn't knock you over but it's sort of a slow, quiet burn.

IBUnit63, Jun 11, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Acquired via trade...thanks Josh! 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Comes in at 98 IBUs and 13.6%. No bottling info is given. Artwork on the bottle deserves a 5.

A-Pours a hazy dark amber that has a ton of red in the light. Has a one finger tan head that goes to a ring surrounding a filmy slick. Quite dark for a DIPA, but I like it.

S-Just a boatload of sweet caramel malt after being poured and it gets more pronounced as it warms. I pick up on some citrus and earth hop notes. Surprisingly not boozy smelling, even as it warms.

T-A lot like it smells. The caramel malt comes into play very quickly. There is a lot of it. In the middle I initially get pineapple and grapefruit, and as it warms orange becomes more pronounced. Piney hop flavors also come out as it warms. All of the citrus and piney flavors eventually bow down to the malt on the finish. Like the nose, this thing is not boozy tasting. Considering it is 13.6%, that is pretty remarkable. There is not much bitterness in this one. As I pause in between sips to write notes, the aftertaste reminds me a lot of what my mouth tastes like after having a glass of orange juice made from concetrate.

M-It is thick, but not over the top thick considering how big of a beer it is. It has a soft level of carbonation that works perfectly. It leaves a definite level of stickiness on the lips. I wrote down several times on my notepad that it is not bitter enough.

D-They did a great job of eliminating the bozziness in this one. Even though it is not noticeable, the high abv limits this one to a last call/nightcap.

This was a pretty good beer. I would go for some of my local favorites over this, but if offered this one, I would gladly partake.

mjl21, Jun 10, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Served out of the bottle, into a snifter. On lees, stirred up a little and poured it into the glass.

Appearance: Hazy, deep amber/red with an off white, light beige head that settles at about 1.5 fingers. Tiny, tight little bubbles that eventually settle into a nice collar.

Aroma: Intense hops- grapefruit, citrus, piney, resinous, you name the hop character its here! Hints of caramel interlaced with subtle floral notes. Smell a touch of alcohol in there, but not enough to realize its over 13%!

Flavor: Hop explosion!! Not as bitter as expected- hop flavors roll from the front of the tongue to the sides, but dont overwhelm in terms of bitterness. Notes of citrus, pine, and resinous hops cling to the front/sides of the tongue, eventually fading to a mouthful of sweet, caramelized malt. Hints of peppery alcohol ride the wave of malt from the back of the mouth to the front. Finishes with a leafy, green, raw hop flavor that lingers for quite some time...about as close to putting fresh hops directly into your mouth as you can get! Alcohol warms as you drain the glass, reminding you to savor this delicious brew that hides a ton of alcohol incredibly well.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, full bodied, and sorta like chewing on a homemade caramel full of fresh hops!

Great double IPA that really focuses on hop flavor, minimizing the harsh bitterness associated with rediculously hopping! Dangerously drinkable for a 13.6% ABV brew!

dudemuskie, Jun 10, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Received in a trade with Tuo. Reviewed from notes. Side-by-side tasting with "Single" Crooked Tree.

After both were poured into pint glasses the double seemed to be just a shade darker than the regular crooked tree and had minimal head after a standard pour. This seemed to have a more balanced aroma than the all hop smell of the single, sweeter and more caramel. Notes of apricot and biscuit were also prevalent in the nose. Obviously the alcohol is front and center with it being over %13, but also noticed resiny hops and some grapefruit. Viscous and resiny weight on the tongue with some really funky tasting burps. This beer is a hop desert , delicious but a tad too much alcohol burn. I would share my next one with a friend. Overall, I'm glad to have tried it but won't bust my hump to track down more.

brokenleadedcask, Jun 08, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Very good looking brew - copper/red clear body with white head.
S&T: Very hoppy, but also a very substantial malt base. Makes me wonder whether the "double" means double the hops or double the malts. Caramel malt goodness is very prevalent here, and reminds me of the best IPAs, such as Hopslam and Dogfish 90.
M: Medium body and carbonation.
D: Can't say for sure, since I shared this bottle, but it sure seemed drinkable. Didn't seem like 13.6% ABV.

waltonc, Jun 08, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle acquired in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John! 18 trades to date....oh my!

It pours a clear ruby red with about an inch of foam. It looks like it has some good lacing. The foam and the lacing disappeared quickly but I kind of expected that.

The smell is a strong one. Lots of grapefruit and pine but also a big caramel malt thingy going on here so the overall aroma is very well balanced. I intentionally whiffed the heck out of it because of its more than ample abv but the alcohol is well hidden in the smell.

The taste is of caramel malt and earth, big citrus, big pine, actually...big everything. Not one flavour I noted is in any way small or light. The alcohol is also there but....like I didn't expect that in a power packed 13.6% brew? ;^) Lots of warming in a fuzzy warming feeling kind of way. Hey, I'm in control of how big and how often the sips are so no problem.

This is tasting very good and, or is it because it is very balanced, whatever, that suits me fine. I think hop heads and malt heads could appreciate this beer.

Medium bodied with light carbonation, it finishes very earthy, bitter, and crisp.

Drinkability? I would not *dare* to drink another back to back if I had another bottle but the 1 did me just fine. Take it slow and easy and you'll be fine too.

Bitterbill, Jun 08, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Woooo.... I've been hoping to find this one somewhere. Ontap at Mackenzies in Minneapolis. Appearance is very good, looks thick and oily with a medium sized head and some lacing. Smell is good, the hops and malt get a bit drowned out by the high alcohol content. However, the hops are very floral and fruit esters. Taste brings out this even more and event a bit of sweet malt comes through here. Mouthfeel is good, thick and oily as I mentioned with some carbonation. Drinkability is obviously inhibited a bit by the alcohol, but overall a very solid beer.

supercolter, Jun 07, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Clouded amber coloring, healthy serving of creamy white froth atop.

Pithy citrus (lemon, lime, tangerine) and pine greets the nose, ripe and raw...

Over the lips and onto the tongue, sublime deliciousness...coats the tongue with powerful hop potency and lush malt flavor. Caramel character keep time with bitter and fruit. Slightly brusque in it's approach, a blast on the palate that begins to fade, but roars back with each subsequent sip.

Fairly full-bodied, beefed up with hops, but not skinny in the malt department, either. Long, lush, lovely finish. Plump, and yum.

Gets a little burnished and brandy-like, showing the full force of the ...13.6%?!?!?!?
Yikes!
but yum!

feloniousmonk, Jun 05, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Darker than really expected. Dark copper color with slight hints of dark ruby. Very thin head of off-white head forms after a hard pour. It recedes rather quickly. Lacing is fairly good, but very slippery.

Big smell of toasted malts. That's not really surprising at 13.60%ABV, though. Nice big hop notes are also here, to be sure. Citrus, grassy, earthy and piney notes all blend into this one. Caramel and vanilla toffees. Mild notes of dark fruits.

Nicely balanced. Big maltiness comes through. It is leveled out by big hops. Hops seem to be a touch more piney than citrus. Notes of earthiness and grass. Figs, dates, apricots and banana notes are all in here. Light presence of caramel and vanilla.
Very nicely balanced.

Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. It's a little on the light side, for as complex as the flavor profile is, IMO. Very smooth, but no real creaminess. This one should be much fuller.

That 13.60%ABV is quite well masked, making this one go down way too easily. It's a good thing they come in four-packs, I think a six-pack would hurt somebody.
I do believe, after having a few different ones recently, I'm on the path to becoming a true fan of DIPA's/IIPA's. I love the balance that this style seems to offer.
Another great brew from Dark Horse Brewing. I'm loving this brewery. I can't wwait until I can travel northeast again, to get more great brews.

coldmeat23, Jun 03, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a murky orange color with some amber to boot. One finger of a fluffy, soapy, off-white head. There is plenty of sticky lacing here... all the way down to the last drop!

Smells very citrusy... lots of grapefruit. Very piney and lots of floral hops.

Huge malty presence upon first taste. Getting that citrus along with peaches and lime. The malt really balances this out.

There's a medium body with minimal carbonation. It's also very boozy, leaving you with a warm feeling all over. I'm glad I had this on a chilly, 50 degree summer night!

I will be putting the rest of the four-pack away to age for a year as while this is good, I'm in no rush to revisit right away.

rudylaw, Jun 03, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Got this one through a trade thank you AVDeuph for hooking this one up. I guess it was released 3 to 4 months before I received this bottle so...

A: Nice dark amber hue, decent head pouring 4 inches from glass.

S: A lot of sweet malt over powering the hop presence. It almost smells like a Barleywine; and given the ABV at 13.6% I can see why. A bit of age has set in, smells of sweet graham crackers and honey.

T: Taste of sweet caramel and hops. The hops have died down and let the malt character come through. Aging-wise, this one will sweeten up mellow out. I was expecting a huge amount of hops but the three months probably killed most hop aroma by now. After a couple of minutes, bittersweet chocolate starts to set in and warms up the stomach.

M: Not too viscous and very inoffensive for almost 14%. Thinner than expected and the flavors linger for many minutes.

D: I could drink one of these and move on. It's a powerful beer and should be shared with a couple of people. It sort of reminds me of my first taste of DFH 120

In all, a good DIPA but I wish I could have gotten one right when they were released. Thank you AVDeuph for the hook up! Let's trade next year around release day!

LongBeachHopHead, May 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

I received a bottle of this from two great traders. Both Masterski & Bulldogp04 I am a huge fan of the Darkhorse IPA so I have high hope for this. I looked on the Darkhorse website and saw that this is released annually in February. However, they make a specific point of noting that this could/should be aged for a couple of year. With about 4 months on it, I am expecting some muted fresh hop tones...

Wow, this is darker than anticipated. A deep amber color with copper tones. A 2 finger tight beige head forms then reduces to an 1/8 inch cap. Some lazy carbonation making it's way to the top. Not much in the way of lacing. I bet 13% abv has something to do with that.

Aroma is of pine, deep sweet caramel, and some ripe fruit. A hint of alcohol.

Mmm,mmm this is good. Extremely well balanced. Deep malt tones, lots of ripe fruit happening. A touch of cinnamon. Pine notes. Long lingering bitterness. Pretty complex flavors. I think the balance is the most impressive thing here. Well done!

Creamy, thick body and smooth mouth feel. Alcohol is well hidden. Especially for 13% ABV.

Scary drinkability for such a big beer. Having said that it is one to enjoy slowly. I will make an effort to try this one VERY fresh next year. I also

Reagan1984, May 24, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Very intriguing right off the bat. This DIPA pours a dark amber with a slight amount of haze and a sand colored head with immediate strong lacing.

Smell is a perfect balance of your standard DIPA smells, the hops are more piney than citrus which is backed up by a smooth malt aroma.

Taste is just as smooth as the smell. So balanced, so drinkable! Take that miller lite! This beer is ikiller.

No harsh bite, no bitter aftertaste.

One of the best DIPAs in Michigan, which in my book makes it one of the best DIPAs around.

midnite2sixman, May 21, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Got a little bored with a few other beers that I sat down with tonight. Though they were good beers, I wanted a little something extra. Yep, found it here!

The beer pours a darker-than-usual for an Imperial IPA. Dark amber, dark copper in color with a fauling head formation and retention underneath the 13% abv. No lacing but is substituted by the brandy-like legging that illudes to the strength of of the beer.

Surprisingly, the hops don't dominate like you'd think. Strong malts deliver a deep caramel, toffee, molassas aroma that keeps the citrusy and piney hops balanced. Don't get me wrong, the beer is hoppy with a plethera of citrus, pine, and maybe many other earthy, herbal hop varieties. Could be considered an American Barleywine just from the nose.

Flavors continue the balanced attack of huge malts and huge hops. Very little separate the intensity of the two, again illuding toward a toasty Old Guardian or Crusteacian. Hop flavor takes on a strong but varying blend of grapefruit, pine, and dirty-earthy tones. Maybe it's these pungent and less sharp hops that keeps the beer in check. Maybe it's also the sun-kist or toasted malts that combat the hops wonderfully. Only a cough-syrup taste in the end is the only deterant.

The body is where the beer begins to definatively side with the IPA than the barleywine. Very crisp, clean, and crisp body keeps the beer from the cloying or sweet-feeling beer that distinguish the styles. Very well attenuated for such alcohol and maltiness leads to a dry and crisp finish. Alcohols do become fusal and hurt the textures in the end.This makes the hops shine in the end; still with the pine-citrus-earthy tones.

A beautiful beer that defies style classifications. Indecisive between an Imperial IPA or an American Barleywine? Reach for a Double Crooked Tree! ...while supplies last.

Thanks again for the trade Arvjunk!

BEERchitect, May 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Served in a tulip.

A: A very dark red that is subdued by brown undertones. Nice two-finger head and beautiful lacing that just wouldn't quit.

S: A high, thin aroma that is reminiscent of oranges and pineapple. Yes it smells like hops, but they manifest in a unique, delicate way.

T: I can taste the 13%, but it isn't distracting. A lasting and strong bitter aftertaste. Astringent and powerful.

M: The kind of carbonation that sort of expands when it hits your mouth. Viscosity is relatively low, though the beer definitely coats as you swallow.

D: I think besides knowing that this is a very strong beer, I would be able to drink a few easily. I won't though, because that would get me in trouble...

A great beer by Dark Horse, I wish that more people could share the experience.

AVDeuph, May 20, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Made possible courtesy of AVDeuph in a trade.

Appearance: The darkest Double I've ever seen. Nice Dark/Cloudy Amber with some orange/gold hues.

Smell: Maple Syrup, Grapefruit, Apricot, Lime

Taste: Very malty, hops, citrus, toasty caramel, grapefruit/apricot/banana/melon & lime.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, soft tannins, slight dryness from alchohol level perhaps - but nothing to shake a stick at. Very pleasant.

Drinkability: for 13.60% alcohol and reading some of the other reviews, I was expecting it to be unbalanced and heavy alcohol taste - however this was not the case. This is a very balanced Double IPA - the alcohol simply acts to "warm you up" As it says on the bottle - this beer is brewed in Michigans coldest month, February. I wish I had this beer in our "coldest month" (in the 30s, maybe) January. Aside from touching on the Alcohol level like everyone else seems to - this Double IPA is the best I've tried yet - Double IPA's being my favorite style of beer. My mother who is a wine advocate loved it - so it is user friendly - she appreciated all of the flavor on the nose and in the taste - My father who drinks beer for beers sake thought it was a straight forward Double IPA. This beer really stands above the others I've had. Very drinkable, I'd love to try this beer on tap. I have a new found respect for Marshall, Michigan. Seek this beer out - If you have the means to get it - grab all you can and savor every drop.

LauraAlberts, May 19, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

This is the best thing Marshall MI has produced I think ever!
As BIG as this beer is it drinks like a normal IPA in other words balanced.

A= caramel or toffee which shows the amount of malt used. Double Malt

S= Smell Citrus tangerine, flowers some toasty malt notes getting some alcohol as well. I am sneezing smells like spring my allergies are acting up pretty fresh.

T - Amazing, I get a nice toasted malt flavor balanced with a dry bitter hop. More hop on aroma than on mouthfeel

D - 13.6% there is no way (it is too drinkable) ok maybe there is I can feel it after one. Sooo tasty and I could drink 6 if they made it in a 6 pack.

gavinstoub, May 19, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

On tap at Stub and Herb's in Minneapolis.

Came to me with a 1/2 finger off white head with good retention. Beer is a deep amber in color.

Smells of pine hops, malts, citrus, dried fruits and honey. A lot is goin on here. Really enjoy the smell of this beer.

Tastes of pine hops, citrus, honey, the high ABV can be tasted, but is masked very well.

The mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation. ABV provides a nice warming feeling.

Drinks very easy for the AVB. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'de be able to drink these all night.... or at least until i couldnt stand anymore.

ThePeskyDingo, May 17, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz/2009. Poured a deep rusty orange with a tall, frothy, beige head that left a nice sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Aromas were orange rind, malts, and some floral hops. Alcohol was present up-front, but masked by the complexity of the ale. Sweet caramel malt backbone, bold grapefruit and orange rind, slightly medicinal with a piny hop finish. As it warms, fruity esters reveal notes of ripe peaches and apricots, while the bitter hops and alcohol leave a tingle on the tongue.

This was not as bitter or as hoppy as I expected it to be. For as high as the ABV is I figured it would be very difficult to achieve balance, but this is incredibly balanced. Uniquely complex and solid Imperial IPA - I have to say was like nothing I have had in the past. Dark Horse is quickly emerging as one of my favorite brewers!

barnzy78, May 17, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to abbddull for this awesome extra, I have been looking forward to trying this brew for a little while.

This beer pours a dark brown/burnt orange color with a small white head. Not very appealing to look at honestly.

The smell is some pine and grapefruit but the hops are overpowered by the malty sweetness and alcohol, much like a DFH 90.

This beer starts all liquoury sweet and the hops and grapefruit don't show up until the very end of the sip, a little disappointing. With such a high IBU I was kind of hoping to smacked with hop flavor.

The beer is well carbonated and goes down pretty smooth for a 13.6%, but it's not anything I could drink more than one of in a sitting.

rpstevens, May 16, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Huge thanks to the very generous Dan (kkipple) for giving me the opportunity to finally try this one. Poured from a 12 oz. wax capped bottle into a snifter.

A- Pretty unappealing. Pours a very murky, apple cider like color. No visibility. Very little white head formed and dissipated quickly upon consumption.

S- Very balanced for a big beer. The big hops aroma were cut by the presence of the malts. Also detectable is a fruity booziness and a touch of various spices.

T- Like the aroma, pretty balanced for a huge DIPA. Some of the 98 IBU's do make it through offering a nice, but not overdone hops presence. The beer finishes with a semi-sweet bitter hoppiness with a touch of alcohol. Wish it was a little more complex.

M- Medium viscosity with some carbonation. No big adjustments needed in this department. Coated the palate well and left a semi-dry mouthfeel.

D- Without looking at the bottle there is no way I would have guessed this beer had an abv close to 14%. Given that this is a big beer, it was rather drinkable. Had no problem putting down a bottle...until I stood up :)

Overall, pretty damn good for such an alcoholic brew. Kudos to Dark Horse for being able to keep the alcohol from taking over. Very solid big beer.

rhinos00, May 16, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pours amber with a light tan head that hangs around for a few minutes. Dark for a DIPA.

S: Pine and citrus, some floral notes. Really nice and quite powerful.

T: Great hop flavor. Again it's pine, citrus, and a sugary finish, lots of malt balances out the hops.

M: Very smooth, creamy carbonation.

D: I wouldn't put this at over 10%, no way. It's great. But you feel the booze fast, no way I could have more than one.

aggiearcher13, May 15, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a cloudy nut brown with a small off-white head that quickly diminishes. Aroma is moderately sweet with caramel, grapefruit, peach,apricot and light orange. Flavor is caramel, grapefruit, light apricot and woody. Full bodied, sticky texture. Better than I expected however the balance is too much toward the malt for the style.

kmeves, May 15, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +13%

A: In a snifter, it's an appetizing blend of amber, caramel, with a little burnt sienna. The head is deceptively pale, but very dense.

S: This is where it gets interesting, a great balance of flowery grapefruit and caramel.

T: First I get astringent hops, second sour grapefruit, quickly followed by burnt sugar, with a dry Burgundy finish. In summary, huge hops that are well balanced by big malts. This blockbuster isn't subtle, but it is incredibly balanced.

M: A creamy carbonated feel masks some of the burn from the high alcohol. It's almost deceptively light and not syrupy or barely wine-ish.

D: The first time I drank this, a buddy and I split a four-pack in under an hour. I didn't bother checking the ABV. I ended up at a dinner with my in-laws wondering how I got so drunk.

Notes: This is a delicious beer, and something I look forward to and seek out, because I honestly haven't had anything else quite like it. Truly an imperial IPA turned up to 11.

At 13.6% ABV, this beer also must be taken seriously. One a night is enough, and two bottles in an hour can get you into trouble. 24oz @ 13.6% ABV is 3.264oz of pure alcohol. 8oz @ 40% ABV is 3.2oz of pure alcohol. So, drinking two bottles of Double Crooked Tree will get more alcohol into your system than downing a half pint of vodka.

Maction, May 14, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Head minimal and recedes to a faint ring around the glass with no lacing. The color is dark, opaque caramel. Very dark for a DIPA.

Good nose. Fruit cake, pine, clove. Heavy alcohol as it warms.

Taste is similar - lots of dried fruit from burnt raisin to lighter pineapple and orange. Cakey, spicey. Still, not the predominant citrus, that you might expect from a truer DIPA.

Good, chewy mouthfeel. Prickly from decent carbonation and alcohol.

Drinkability is OK for the style and very high alc. content.

This is a solid beer - more of a strong ale or a barley wine than a DIPA. Good for what it is. If I'm gonna drink something labelled a DIPA, though, I prefer it be more like Double Trouble or Hop Slam.

Mcculler, May 12, 2009