Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A- copper and amber color that is slightly cloudy. Lacing around the glass, but no head.

S- Strong malt smell with a prominent alcohol presence.

T- A wonderful carmel and malt up front with the taste of alcohol on the back end. The high ABV overpowers the 98 IBUs.

M- Very smooth. The ABVs balance out the 98 IBUs that would normally be very 'hoppy' in a straight IPA

D- Well balanced, but wouldn't recommend having more than one.

Settle back in a comfortable chair on the patio and savor this one.

CPTJack, May 02, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Excited to see this on the shelf at Binnys.

As soon as the cap started to lift, vapors of pungency started wafting towards me, I knew I was in for an experience.

A rich copper hue, not much of a head, a constant trickle of bubbles up and through my large Unibroue stem.

The nose lets you know just how big and rich this beer is about to be. Sweet mellowed hops (this is fresh). A few other flavors present. Oddly enough, I smell a little band aid on this one. Some citrus and pine as one might expect.

Wow, nothing like I might have expected. It has a deep nuttiness, and obviously this a well hopped beer, but they balance out with the large character of this fairly viscous beer. There just seems to be a bit less flavor than I would expect to carry off this big beer. Not that it struggles, but the abv and the nose suggested this would be richer.

The slighltly syrupy character might be just a tad sweet for my preference, and obv this is no session beer, so the drinkability takes a hit. Not that anyone is likely to pound a 4pack. The large abv is actually surprisingly well carried off tho.

All in all, interesting and balanced, but not quite mind blowing. I will throw the rest in the cellar and revisit this down the road to see how time treats it.

ShareANevada, May 01, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured slightly chilled into snifter produced a dark pretty amber with scant head though small amount of lacing lingered for quite some time. Nose was a bit sweet, hops, light floral. Taste followed suit, very smooth and well balanced, not the 'in-your-face' i was expecting with ABV being so high...quite the contrary it was a great sipping brew, fine malt taste, smooth as I said which adds for great mouthfeel and though I think it's not drinkable due to ABV, I could easily have had another and enjoyed it thoroughly!!

rwdkosak, May 01, 2009

bottled 2009
let bottle warm for 15min after taking it out of fridge. pours burnt orange with a finger of head. smells boozy and tropical. taste is very sweet and tropical i pickup some bubblegum flavors also with a slight bitter finish with a nice malt backbone. mouthfeel is very heavy not an dipa that i could have more then a bomber of. i have had this beer many times in the last month and i prefer it served a tad colder then celler temp.
the bottle says this beer ages well and i have stashed 4 away too find out.

jsh420, Apr 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Big thank you to deliriumfest for this beer.

A: Relatively dark amber liquid with a creamy ecru cap that sticks around very well.

S: Tons of pungent hops. It smells like pine oil, bordering on full-on pinesol but not unpleasantly so. Some brown sugar and caramel from the malt.

T: The beer is dominated by piney and a bit citric hops. There is alcohol heat in there, but it's well-hidden beneath the hops and malt backbone. As for the malt, it's caramel and sweet. Without the big hop bill, the beer would be incredibly malt sweet, but the hops do a great job balancing it out. It reminds me of Avery's Maharaja, a strong DIPA with big caramel malt sweetness balanced well by good hopping.

M: Thick with hop resins. It could be called syrupy, but it works with the flavor.

D: Not terribly drinkable. The strong flavors get to you after about half a glass. It's a delicious beer, but you could easily split a 12 oz bottle and not feel cheated. An entire bottle hits hard.

popery, Apr 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -5%

Picked up a four-pack at Whole Foods. Served in my Bell's tulip.

A - One finger of tan foam that dissipates quickly and leaves a solid cap and ring. Opaque dark brown-red amber color - probably the darkest DIPA I've ever encountered. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this strong a brew.

S - Huge citrus hoppiness with notes of tangerine and pine, and a nice caramel and bread malt backbone as well. It's a little one-dimensional, but the booze is well hidden with only a hint making its presence known.

T - There's tons of toffee and caramel up front, but then it dissolves into hop bitterness and a hint of alcohol burn. It's definitely the slowest sipping DIPA I've had, even more so than Kuhnhenn Extreme. The aftertaste is surprisingly neutral.

M - Velvet smoothness, nice warming sensations, low carbonation; it's almost cask-like and really quite terrific.

D - This is a one and out type of brew - 12oz is more than sufficient. The alcohol just builds and builds and a serious buzz sets in about half way through the glass.

I'm wishing this had been hoppier and more bitter - it's far more balanced than other high ABV DIPAs (PtY, Kuhnhenn, Unearthly, Big Head San Diego). I can actually see this aging quite nicely - maybe I'll stash one bottle from my four-pack and see what happens.

MasterSki, Apr 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a dark orange color with one finger of white head.

Scent of strong juicy hops, sweet malts, and some caramel. A great strong scent with a sweet juicy hop aroma and a nice malt backbone.

Taste of bitter juicy hops and a faint maltiness to keep it in tact. Awesome stuff, near perfectly masked alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium heavy bodied with a nice bite of carbonation.

paco1029384756, Apr 26, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Oh I was so happy when I got my couple of cases into the store the other day. Bought a couple and well the rest is history.

A-Poured into a snifter. Nice dark amber color with slight haze. Nice quater inch head that went away rather quickly. Pretty much no lacing but we can't have it all can we.

S-Big fruity hop smell. Little malt background. Also, I think the alcohol in this is pretty hidden for such a higher ABV.

T- The malt backbone comes through first with the first sip following the fruity hop taste. The hops take over the within the first couple of sips (this I think is due to the oily hop that sticks to the tounge. Alcohol is very slight in this big hitter only really coming through at the end of the sip and only a little.

M- This beer doesn't have a ton of carbination which I enjoy. Heavier mouth feel that seems to coat the tounge after it rushes across it. Nice mouthfeel over all.

D- I love this beer and always wait for it to come out. Although I do like drink all four of these at once it will kick you in the but if you do so.

Dark Horse always makes me smile when I get this in. My roommate always makes me smile when he puts tape on the cats feet and makes it run around. Like while I was reviewing this beer.

alleykatking, Apr 22, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. One of the bottles in my four pack has an upside down label, interesting.

A- Light rusty red in color with a light tan small head. The head has a little retention with hardly any lacing. But the color is what is so interesting. There are small floaties in the beer I would guess its hop bits. But the beer isn't really couldy.

S- The smell isn't as strong as some other DIPA's I've had. But the balance of fruit and pine hops is nice. Not much malt to pick up. But some alcohol hits the nose nicely.

T- This is a great tasting beer. I gave it a 5 because it is my favorite DIPA in the taste area. Great malt falvors (not too roasty but not too sweet) are up front not hidden at all by the hops. The hops do come through and give a good bite to the tongue. The blend of different hops is perfect. Lots of fruity hops, some grapefruit, definite rasins flavor. Then there are the piney classic mellow bitter hops. The alcohol warming brings it all together, though it is a bit too much (just a tiny bit).

M- The mouth is the only thing I didn't really love, the beer is just too syrup like. The carbonation adds nothing to the beer and just seems to disapoint.

D- Well at 13% it's not really drinkable one is about all you need. It's a perfect night cappy though. And for being 13% you hardly notice the booze. Overall one of my favorites, I love this beer.

brow1901, Apr 22, 2009

12 oz. bottle into a snifter

Pours up a clear and deep copper color with a half inch off-white head that falls to a skim on top. It actually retains very well for being in such a big snifter and even manages to leave some rings of lace on the glass.

Aroma is exploding with juicy hops. Lots of grapefruity and tangerine citrus with pine and a dash of some tropical fruit. It's not all hops though. The malt character is right there with it presenting a sweet caramel aroma that works with the hops. Surprising for the ABV, I'm not getting any of those harsh alcohol fumes as I was expecting.

Taste is actually quite balanced. Lots of sweet malt and caramelized sugar notes hit the tongue first which are met with a strong citrusy hop presence with some light pine notes. Still, it never really becomes a biting bitterness. Some peppery alcohol in the finish that is slightly warming.

Mouthfeel is medium-full, quite thick and viscous. This is how I like my DIPAs to be. Great creamy texture as it glides across the palate. Drinkability is actually quite high considering the ABV. I would only guess 9% if I didn't know.

This was a really great DIPA. What I really like about this one that sets it apart is the balance and great mouthfeel. I could see this one aging well and perhaps becoming similar to an English Barleywine in a few years. I'm sure my other three bottles won't last that long to find out though.

roadhouse, Apr 21, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Burnt orange hue, the head fizzled and retracted quickly leaving a momentary wispy centre, no ring and no lace. Lackadaisical carbonation drifted slowly from the depths of this transluscent brew and continued for quite a while. Sweet smell of barleywine, hoppy nose of citrus rind, alcohol. Big, warm mouthfeel. You can sense the higher ABV but it's very well handled considering just how high the ABV is. Caramel and toffee taste, on the sweet side without being obnoxious, bourbon notes, nice lingering finish pleases. With 98 IBU's, I expected a real bitter blitzkreig but to my surprize this is well balanced with a smooth, even texture and taste. This is very drinkable considering what's in it, like a very palateable barleywine, it's a gentle giant of a brew, try one if you get a chance.

ThatWineGuy, Apr 18, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Served o tap at the Blind Pig in Campaign IL. Pours a clear and clean dark copper brown, really more like a well worn penny than anything else with a quarter inch of sparse head that fades away unsurprisingly but does leave some rather nice lacing. Aroma is subtler than I ever would have suspected from a DIPA, even the single crooked tree has a more powerful aroma. This being said, the beer hides a deceivingly boozy beer in a quite, though ominous smelling aroma. It's thick and sweet, more earthy than anything and not nearly as piney or fruity as other DIPAs I've come across. The flavor is something else entirely, very dry, subtle, in a certain sense, more earthy than anything, very boozy and dry and seems to change the entire time it spends on your pallate. A decent tasting beer, but honestly nothing that really makes me think wow this is something amazing. Perhaps from the bottle this tastes a bit different.

bluemoonswoon, Apr 18, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Consumed at a tasting with a handful of fellow BA's. Review is from tasting notes.

Pours a murky reddish amber. Not too much foam, but decent lacing for a 13.6%.

Big, sweet aroma with tons of booze. Smells like the clouds filled up with alcohol and rained all over a hop field, effectively drowning the hops and killing them.

Very rich flavor. Fairly hefty malt bill. Tons of sweetness. Had I not known beforehand, I would have thought this was a barleywine. It's definitely not overly bitter, and I'm not really detecting any of the "standard" hoppy flavors. Pretty boozy finish. Kind of a syrupy feel. Lots of warm tingles from the alcohol, although it's not really too noticeable until the finish. Not a terribly enjoyable beer.

Gyle41386, Apr 17, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottle poured into a snifter. Dark golden/amber color. Smell is sweet honey, pine syrup and definite alcohol. Honey and pine needles abound in the flavor as well followed by a strong alcohol burn.

This is a little different, as I didnt really think it was all that hoppy for a DIPA this strong. The alcohol is a little overwhelming however and it dominates the end of the flavor. This isn't really one of my favorites of the style but it isn't bad.

webmanspidey, Apr 16, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Bottle is about six months old.
Pours a dark amber with just a slight haze and very little head.
Smell is sweet malts, alcohol, fruity hops.
Taste has a little heat in the beginning, that mellows. Nice strong sweet malt base. Hops on the back end and aftertaste, grassy grapefruit and sugar.
Mouthfeel is really the only place this beer seems weak. Really slick and low carbonation. Kinda like it was from a growler I opened yesterday. I hope I just got a bad bottle, but with the wax over the cap it seems unlikely.
I have no problem drinking this at over 13%. The mouthfeel leaves a bit to be desired, but the taste is just a pumped up crooked tree, which I like.

jraycee, Apr 14, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Drinking the 2008 version in early 2009.

Unibroue tulip glass. Pours a clear darker copper color with a two finger, very light tan foamy head.

Rich, deep malt and hop aroma. Such depth that it seems roasty. Continued huffing, and I'm getting more fruit and a resiny hop aroma.

Lacing footprint of the head has big pockets of clarity from the bubbles.

First sip is soft, fruity, and flavorful upfont with a slight burn on the back of the throat - 13.60% can have that effect and not a detractor in my book.

Exceptional smoothness. The initial "sting" is no longer apparent. Soft, pillow mouthfeel is worth mentioning, again.

Well balanced double IPA which I'll drink one and stick number two in the cellar with my barleywines for a couple of years down the road.

Yetiman420, Apr 09, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz bottle from Heritage in Minneapolis.

A: Pours a darker amber color with a finger of white head that reduces to a film around the edges of the liquid. Slight lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like a boozy citrus hop grapefruit smash!

T: Much more balance in the flavor, with the tastes similar to the smells but with a very good complimenting maltiness as well. A very crisp finish, which is different than most DIPAs I've had that are BITTER! Small bit of alcohol in there.

M: Creamy and full bodied with a little bit of alcohol warming at the end.

D: More drinkable than most DIPAs I've encountered because it's so well balanced between the hop flavor and malt flavor. Alcohol is the only thing keeping this from being a 5.

I wish this were easier found and year round as I'd keep it stocked. Different than my other DIPA favs Hopslam, Maharaja and 16 Grit, etc but just as good in a different way.

dukedevil0, Mar 31, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Had on tap last night at Stub and Herbs, review taken from my tasting notes.

A: The beer is served in a lovely tuliped goblet. It is a deep amber gold color with a creamy whitish/beige head . Lightly carbonated. A strong lace outlines where the head once was.

S: A floral hop bouquet assaults my nose. As the beer warms up I get plenty of citrus fruits. There is a nice fruitiness as well. You get evident sweetness from the malts. In the end I get a faint whiff of alcohol.

T: Malty sweetness on the tongue first, followed by a pleasantly hoppy bitterness. The hop flavors in this beer are fantastic too. I get a lot of citrus flavors like grapefruit, tangerine, and even a little orange. The fruity esters augment the hops. The 13.6% alcohol does show its head a bit, but smooths out as the beer warms.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. The alcohol drys the palate out nicely.

D: This was a pretty, damn complex DIPA. Not just a hop bomb, it really gives you some malts to appreciate as well. The high ABV unfortunately kicks down the drinkability a bit. I really want to have more of these, but it just isn't possible if I want to drive home. Really worth a try.

brewdoc75, Mar 31, 2009
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

About time I got my hands on this one. It pours a dark amber with a thin creamy head, which is gone in a matter of minutes. Carbonation is still present, but very subtle. The nose is sweet with malt, showing hints of caramel, followed by a grapefruity hop aroma. The flavors in this brew are almost overwhelming. The malt and alcohol are noticed at first, with caramel and brandy notes, followed with a kick of piney, citrusy resinous hops. DCT is viscous, full-bodied, and absolutely waxes the palate. The finish lasts forever. It's a great beer to have as a lone sipper, but I wouldn't consume more than one in a sitting. Make sure it's the first of the night.

WYVYRN527, Mar 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Really like Dark Horse's regular IPA so was looking forward to this one & missed it entirely last spring when it made a brief appearance in the Twin Cities. Was on the lookout this year & delighted to find a few cases on the floor at the always accomodating, always well-stocked Dennis Brothers. Four-pack found it's way into the trunk with a couple other gems (sold me on a Yeti Espresso, too!). This beer couldn't possibly live up to the year I missed it...right?

Looks nothing like the IPA, which is freakishly orange, opaque, & filled with enough floaties to qualify as a beaver pond. The Double is clear, coppery, pure-looking, no head. Smell is eyebrow-bendingly tame.

In we go. Yes, there are some hops in here, wham, bam, thank you ma'am. I don't think I've every felt the hop bite into the back of my breastbone before. Holy sumbitch. I'm grinning like a school girl. There's a bit of a malt bill in there somewhere, but the hops made them their bitch. Wow. I can feel all sorts of internal organs going numb.

I was afraid this wouldn't live up to its billing after the mild nose on it, but hey, I was wrong. Flat as a thirteen year old Bill Gates, but who cares? Strangely drinkable, I think you have to enjoy having your palate & innard pummeled a bit to enjoy this one.

Excellent brew from a brewery that knows you ought not "balance" your DIPA, but should have it doing leg lifts to kick your ass. My calves are starting to tingle. Well done.

maximum12, Mar 25, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured into a snifter. Clear copper color, with almost no head.
Somewhat subdued aroma. Some pine and hops, but not as much as I was expecting. Sweet smell, with pineapple and citrus. Alcohol as well.
The hops is more present in the taste. Pine is present as well. Definite alcohol presence but well-concealed for its strength. Very low level of bitterness.
Fairly smooth for an IPA. A little flat. Very slight tingle from carbonation, with an alcohol burn on the way down.
I did not expect this one to be very drinkable. I am surprised- at about two-thirds of the way through, I am not feeling the booze as much as I thought I would by now. Still wouldn't want to have more than a couple of these in one sitting.

WilliamD, Mar 22, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A: pretty awesome looking beer. deep redish brown with half an inch slightly off white head

S: lots of citrus and piney hops. can smell a sizable malt backbone and a bit of heat from the alcohol

T: bitterness is first to attack the pallet. also a nice sweet malt flavor with notes of complex fruit just under the surface. gives a food sense of balance to the hop assault. the alcohol adds a kick to the end of the sip, something i usually don't enjoy but it's really working here. As I am drinking through the glass and my pallet numbs from the IBU's and alcohol, I am left tasting mostly malt sweetness and smelling hops. In a way the beer is tasting more and more like citrus juice.

M: syrupy. reminds me more then a bit of the cereal killer barely wine i had a week or so ago. a bit thinner and with a tad more carbonation

D: As noted above, I can taste the alcohol but I don't mind. Not exactly a sipper (although at 13.6 percent abv it should be) but not the most drinkable DIPA out there.

lamarr04, Mar 18, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice beer.
What a gorgeous color! Rich amber color from the specialty malts. About a quarter inch white foam head develops on a fair pour into a tulip glass but it retreats to the edge of the glass within a couple of seconds.

Aroma is full of aggressive American alpha hops and you can tell by taking a whiff there is some malt there.

Being an IPA there is a huge hit of bitter but fruity hops right up front. Towards the middle the huge malty backbone comes out and is very sweet. The finish is HOT and SPICY! I didn't know the ABV was 13% until I saw it on this site.

Best DIPA in the great Beer State of MI.

ahking, Mar 13, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to Merlin48 for this one. Been wanting to try it for a couple of years now. Here goes:

Pours a deep copper, leaning towards the color of rust. Carbonation seemed low, so I really got on this pour, and a decent head, white with yellow highlights, came about, and dropped slowly to a mm covering. Looks really good.

I can smell this one from where it sits, but I'll get my nose in there and really inhale the bouquet. Strong citrus hops, and equally strong caramelized dark sugar and malt aroma.

Flavor is a bit weaker than I would have thought. I attribute this to being an older sample, as well as the obviously high level of malt flavor, which seems to balance out the hops more. At any rate, good citrus hops and a strong not quite maple syrupy malt flavor. I'm sure after about a quarter of the glass, that this is indeed an older bottle. This is more of a strong barleywine at this point. Good, but not what I was after.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy, long finish, with a healthy bittering linger.

Drinkability is not too high, based on availability, the sample I had access to, and the high ABV. I can't say that alcohol flavor is detected, but after 4 or 5 drinks, I can start to feel a little of the effects. A pretty good beer, but not a great one. Cheers!

dancinwillie, Feb 24, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Came out orange-copper and very hazy. Small off-white head settled to a layer after a minute.

S: Surprisingly balanced nose. Citrus and grassy hops are there for sure, accompanied by a substantial malt nose of molasses and caramel. Very interesting.

T: Very bitter hop presence of pine and citrus is trying to be kept in check by a huge malt backbone of sweet caramel. The hops ultimately win however. No alcohol taste at all!

M: Thick and heavy, as would be expected from such a large amount of malt. Low carbonation and an interestingly bittersweet aftertaste, that lingers for quite a while.

D: Definitely a sipper, but worth taking one's time as all the nuances come out.

A huge DIPA to say the least. There is nothing little about this brew. I almost felt like a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest! Perhaps not the best DIPA on the market, but certainly worth a try. This bottle had been in storage a while, so I'd be curious to test a fresh one!

PirateUlf73, Feb 20, 2009