Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Got this one through a trade thank you AVDeuph for hooking this one up. I guess it was released 3 to 4 months before I received this bottle so...

A: Nice dark amber hue, decent head pouring 4 inches from glass.

S: A lot of sweet malt over powering the hop presence. It almost smells like a Barleywine; and given the ABV at 13.6% I can see why. A bit of age has set in, smells of sweet graham crackers and honey.

T: Taste of sweet caramel and hops. The hops have died down and let the malt character come through. Aging-wise, this one will sweeten up mellow out. I was expecting a huge amount of hops but the three months probably killed most hop aroma by now. After a couple of minutes, bittersweet chocolate starts to set in and warms up the stomach.

M: Not too viscous and very inoffensive for almost 14%. Thinner than expected and the flavors linger for many minutes.

D: I could drink one of these and move on. It's a powerful beer and should be shared with a couple of people. It sort of reminds me of my first taste of DFH 120

In all, a good DIPA but I wish I could have gotten one right when they were released. Thank you AVDeuph for the hook up! Let's trade next year around release day!

LongBeachHopHead, May 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

I received a bottle of this from two great traders. Both Masterski & Bulldogp04 I am a huge fan of the Darkhorse IPA so I have high hope for this. I looked on the Darkhorse website and saw that this is released annually in February. However, they make a specific point of noting that this could/should be aged for a couple of year. With about 4 months on it, I am expecting some muted fresh hop tones...

Wow, this is darker than anticipated. A deep amber color with copper tones. A 2 finger tight beige head forms then reduces to an 1/8 inch cap. Some lazy carbonation making it's way to the top. Not much in the way of lacing. I bet 13% abv has something to do with that.

Aroma is of pine, deep sweet caramel, and some ripe fruit. A hint of alcohol.

Mmm,mmm this is good. Extremely well balanced. Deep malt tones, lots of ripe fruit happening. A touch of cinnamon. Pine notes. Long lingering bitterness. Pretty complex flavors. I think the balance is the most impressive thing here. Well done!

Creamy, thick body and smooth mouth feel. Alcohol is well hidden. Especially for 13% ABV.

Scary drinkability for such a big beer. Having said that it is one to enjoy slowly. I will make an effort to try this one VERY fresh next year. I also

Reagan1984, May 24, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Very intriguing right off the bat. This DIPA pours a dark amber with a slight amount of haze and a sand colored head with immediate strong lacing.

Smell is a perfect balance of your standard DIPA smells, the hops are more piney than citrus which is backed up by a smooth malt aroma.

Taste is just as smooth as the smell. So balanced, so drinkable! Take that miller lite! This beer is ikiller.

No harsh bite, no bitter aftertaste.

One of the best DIPAs in Michigan, which in my book makes it one of the best DIPAs around.

midnite2sixman, May 21, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Got a little bored with a few other beers that I sat down with tonight. Though they were good beers, I wanted a little something extra. Yep, found it here!

The beer pours a darker-than-usual for an Imperial IPA. Dark amber, dark copper in color with a fauling head formation and retention underneath the 13% abv. No lacing but is substituted by the brandy-like legging that illudes to the strength of of the beer.

Surprisingly, the hops don't dominate like you'd think. Strong malts deliver a deep caramel, toffee, molassas aroma that keeps the citrusy and piney hops balanced. Don't get me wrong, the beer is hoppy with a plethera of citrus, pine, and maybe many other earthy, herbal hop varieties. Could be considered an American Barleywine just from the nose.

Flavors continue the balanced attack of huge malts and huge hops. Very little separate the intensity of the two, again illuding toward a toasty Old Guardian or Crusteacian. Hop flavor takes on a strong but varying blend of grapefruit, pine, and dirty-earthy tones. Maybe it's these pungent and less sharp hops that keeps the beer in check. Maybe it's also the sun-kist or toasted malts that combat the hops wonderfully. Only a cough-syrup taste in the end is the only deterant.

The body is where the beer begins to definatively side with the IPA than the barleywine. Very crisp, clean, and crisp body keeps the beer from the cloying or sweet-feeling beer that distinguish the styles. Very well attenuated for such alcohol and maltiness leads to a dry and crisp finish. Alcohols do become fusal and hurt the textures in the end.This makes the hops shine in the end; still with the pine-citrus-earthy tones.

A beautiful beer that defies style classifications. Indecisive between an Imperial IPA or an American Barleywine? Reach for a Double Crooked Tree! ...while supplies last.

Thanks again for the trade Arvjunk!

BEERchitect, May 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Served in a tulip.

A: A very dark red that is subdued by brown undertones. Nice two-finger head and beautiful lacing that just wouldn't quit.

S: A high, thin aroma that is reminiscent of oranges and pineapple. Yes it smells like hops, but they manifest in a unique, delicate way.

T: I can taste the 13%, but it isn't distracting. A lasting and strong bitter aftertaste. Astringent and powerful.

M: The kind of carbonation that sort of expands when it hits your mouth. Viscosity is relatively low, though the beer definitely coats as you swallow.

D: I think besides knowing that this is a very strong beer, I would be able to drink a few easily. I won't though, because that would get me in trouble...

A great beer by Dark Horse, I wish that more people could share the experience.

AVDeuph, May 20, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Made possible courtesy of AVDeuph in a trade.

Appearance: The darkest Double I've ever seen. Nice Dark/Cloudy Amber with some orange/gold hues.

Smell: Maple Syrup, Grapefruit, Apricot, Lime

Taste: Very malty, hops, citrus, toasty caramel, grapefruit/apricot/banana/melon & lime.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, soft tannins, slight dryness from alchohol level perhaps - but nothing to shake a stick at. Very pleasant.

Drinkability: for 13.60% alcohol and reading some of the other reviews, I was expecting it to be unbalanced and heavy alcohol taste - however this was not the case. This is a very balanced Double IPA - the alcohol simply acts to "warm you up" As it says on the bottle - this beer is brewed in Michigans coldest month, February. I wish I had this beer in our "coldest month" (in the 30s, maybe) January. Aside from touching on the Alcohol level like everyone else seems to - this Double IPA is the best I've tried yet - Double IPA's being my favorite style of beer. My mother who is a wine advocate loved it - so it is user friendly - she appreciated all of the flavor on the nose and in the taste - My father who drinks beer for beers sake thought it was a straight forward Double IPA. This beer really stands above the others I've had. Very drinkable, I'd love to try this beer on tap. I have a new found respect for Marshall, Michigan. Seek this beer out - If you have the means to get it - grab all you can and savor every drop.

LauraAlberts, May 19, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

This is the best thing Marshall MI has produced I think ever!
As BIG as this beer is it drinks like a normal IPA in other words balanced.

A= caramel or toffee which shows the amount of malt used. Double Malt

S= Smell Citrus tangerine, flowers some toasty malt notes getting some alcohol as well. I am sneezing smells like spring my allergies are acting up pretty fresh.

T - Amazing, I get a nice toasted malt flavor balanced with a dry bitter hop. More hop on aroma than on mouthfeel

D - 13.6% there is no way (it is too drinkable) ok maybe there is I can feel it after one. Sooo tasty and I could drink 6 if they made it in a 6 pack.

gavinstoub, May 19, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

On tap at Stub and Herb's in Minneapolis.

Came to me with a 1/2 finger off white head with good retention. Beer is a deep amber in color.

Smells of pine hops, malts, citrus, dried fruits and honey. A lot is goin on here. Really enjoy the smell of this beer.

Tastes of pine hops, citrus, honey, the high ABV can be tasted, but is masked very well.

The mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation. ABV provides a nice warming feeling.

Drinks very easy for the AVB. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'de be able to drink these all night.... or at least until i couldnt stand anymore.

ThePeskyDingo, May 17, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz/2009. Poured a deep rusty orange with a tall, frothy, beige head that left a nice sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Aromas were orange rind, malts, and some floral hops. Alcohol was present up-front, but masked by the complexity of the ale. Sweet caramel malt backbone, bold grapefruit and orange rind, slightly medicinal with a piny hop finish. As it warms, fruity esters reveal notes of ripe peaches and apricots, while the bitter hops and alcohol leave a tingle on the tongue.

This was not as bitter or as hoppy as I expected it to be. For as high as the ABV is I figured it would be very difficult to achieve balance, but this is incredibly balanced. Uniquely complex and solid Imperial IPA - I have to say was like nothing I have had in the past. Dark Horse is quickly emerging as one of my favorite brewers!

barnzy78, May 17, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to abbddull for this awesome extra, I have been looking forward to trying this brew for a little while.

This beer pours a dark brown/burnt orange color with a small white head. Not very appealing to look at honestly.

The smell is some pine and grapefruit but the hops are overpowered by the malty sweetness and alcohol, much like a DFH 90.

This beer starts all liquoury sweet and the hops and grapefruit don't show up until the very end of the sip, a little disappointing. With such a high IBU I was kind of hoping to smacked with hop flavor.

The beer is well carbonated and goes down pretty smooth for a 13.6%, but it's not anything I could drink more than one of in a sitting.

rpstevens, May 16, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Huge thanks to the very generous Dan (kkipple) for giving me the opportunity to finally try this one. Poured from a 12 oz. wax capped bottle into a snifter.

A- Pretty unappealing. Pours a very murky, apple cider like color. No visibility. Very little white head formed and dissipated quickly upon consumption.

S- Very balanced for a big beer. The big hops aroma were cut by the presence of the malts. Also detectable is a fruity booziness and a touch of various spices.

T- Like the aroma, pretty balanced for a huge DIPA. Some of the 98 IBU's do make it through offering a nice, but not overdone hops presence. The beer finishes with a semi-sweet bitter hoppiness with a touch of alcohol. Wish it was a little more complex.

M- Medium viscosity with some carbonation. No big adjustments needed in this department. Coated the palate well and left a semi-dry mouthfeel.

D- Without looking at the bottle there is no way I would have guessed this beer had an abv close to 14%. Given that this is a big beer, it was rather drinkable. Had no problem putting down a bottle...until I stood up :)

Overall, pretty damn good for such an alcoholic brew. Kudos to Dark Horse for being able to keep the alcohol from taking over. Very solid big beer.

rhinos00, May 16, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pours amber with a light tan head that hangs around for a few minutes. Dark for a DIPA.

S: Pine and citrus, some floral notes. Really nice and quite powerful.

T: Great hop flavor. Again it's pine, citrus, and a sugary finish, lots of malt balances out the hops.

M: Very smooth, creamy carbonation.

D: I wouldn't put this at over 10%, no way. It's great. But you feel the booze fast, no way I could have more than one.

aggiearcher13, May 15, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a cloudy nut brown with a small off-white head that quickly diminishes. Aroma is moderately sweet with caramel, grapefruit, peach,apricot and light orange. Flavor is caramel, grapefruit, light apricot and woody. Full bodied, sticky texture. Better than I expected however the balance is too much toward the malt for the style.

kmeves, May 15, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +13%

A: In a snifter, it's an appetizing blend of amber, caramel, with a little burnt sienna. The head is deceptively pale, but very dense.

S: This is where it gets interesting, a great balance of flowery grapefruit and caramel.

T: First I get astringent hops, second sour grapefruit, quickly followed by burnt sugar, with a dry Burgundy finish. In summary, huge hops that are well balanced by big malts. This blockbuster isn't subtle, but it is incredibly balanced.

M: A creamy carbonated feel masks some of the burn from the high alcohol. It's almost deceptively light and not syrupy or barely wine-ish.

D: The first time I drank this, a buddy and I split a four-pack in under an hour. I didn't bother checking the ABV. I ended up at a dinner with my in-laws wondering how I got so drunk.

Notes: This is a delicious beer, and something I look forward to and seek out, because I honestly haven't had anything else quite like it. Truly an imperial IPA turned up to 11.

At 13.6% ABV, this beer also must be taken seriously. One a night is enough, and two bottles in an hour can get you into trouble. 24oz @ 13.6% ABV is 3.264oz of pure alcohol. 8oz @ 40% ABV is 3.2oz of pure alcohol. So, drinking two bottles of Double Crooked Tree will get more alcohol into your system than downing a half pint of vodka.

Maction, May 14, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Head minimal and recedes to a faint ring around the glass with no lacing. The color is dark, opaque caramel. Very dark for a DIPA.

Good nose. Fruit cake, pine, clove. Heavy alcohol as it warms.

Taste is similar - lots of dried fruit from burnt raisin to lighter pineapple and orange. Cakey, spicey. Still, not the predominant citrus, that you might expect from a truer DIPA.

Good, chewy mouthfeel. Prickly from decent carbonation and alcohol.

Drinkability is OK for the style and very high alc. content.

This is a solid beer - more of a strong ale or a barley wine than a DIPA. Good for what it is. If I'm gonna drink something labelled a DIPA, though, I prefer it be more like Double Trouble or Hop Slam.

Mcculler, May 12, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a rich cedar color with a thin tan head. The nose bready caramel malts with lots of pine and citrus hops. The taste also has a big beady malt presence under a good amount of piney hops, fresh fruits and peppery alcohol. Medium to full body has nice carbonation. Drinks very well for a beer of this size.

rye726, May 09, 2009

Got this in my mix six from Zipps. I really like the artwork on the bottle label.

Bottle to pint glass. Pours a deep amber color, almost ruby or mahogany. Definitely not the typical IPA look. Hardly any head is produced, even after an aggressive pour. Head is off-white, tannish color. Very light carbonation.

The aroma is very much like a Barleywine if you ask me. There is a definite powerful hop bitterness present, but the malt backbone really shines through in the nose. Very sweet smelling. Also I get a bit of dark dried fruit, as well as some warming alcohol.

Honestly, the first thing I notice about this brew is the alcohol. Not so much the alcohol taste, but the presence. As soon as the beer hits your lips, you feel the warmth, and you feel it numb the tongue, and you feel it warm your throat. Never once do you actually taste it, but there is no doubt in my mind it is there, and there in force. Kudos to Dark Horse for masking the high ABV so well, while still allowing you to feel its powerful warming affect.

Taste is very sweet, and not as bitter as I hoped. I actually haven't had the normal Crooked Tree, but if I'm not mistaken, Double Crooked Tree is supposed to be the same recipe with everything doubled. I guess I was just assuming to be blasted away with bitterness from the 90 some IBU's the bottle claims. The bitterness is there, but the malts really take the thunder away from the bitterness. Very sweet.

The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and warm. This, in my mind, would be a great brew to sip on during a cold fall afternoon around a campfire. Maybe it's just me, but the combination of the high ABV and the high humidity of Minnesotan springs makes me wish I was doing this when it was colder outside. Honestly sweating, and I wasn't before I started drinking this.

For the high ABV, I consider this to have above average drinkability. I'm definitely not going to pound this one, a sipper for sure. Most likely only have one of these, but thats all you really need.

I would definitely recommend this to someone who enjoys exploring the Barleywine-DIPA gray area.

Mistofminn, May 07, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

G: Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Very dark amber, nearing mahogany. Definite readdish hues. Pours a single-finger cream-colored head with a good amount of carbonation. Nearly opaque in the glass. Excellent lacing.

S: Lots of floral hops with citrus and tropical coming in behind. After the floral notes, there are clear scents of tropical fruits, mostly mango and a bit of pineapple.

T: Much like the nose, but not quite as intense. Good floral and tropical notes, with a semi-sweet malt base.

M: Medium-to-full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. It definitely hides the 13+% abv quite well.

D: Pretty drinkable given the alcohol content. Not something that I'm dying to have another of, however. The nose is definitely the best aspect of this one.

Thorpe429, May 04, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

This Dark Horse offering poured into snifter a very deep amber. The head was not thick, but very durable...great lacing. Smells of sweet citrus, crystal malt with nice floral/pine notes. The initial taste is in line with the aroma, but the finish has a cask/oak character. Fermented well as the 13.6% alcohol is nicely tucked away. The mouthfeel is medium with a good resin slickness and firm carbonation. Very enjoyable DIPA, but one is plenty.

WhiteRiverSuds, May 03, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A- copper and amber color that is slightly cloudy. Lacing around the glass, but no head.

S- Strong malt smell with a prominent alcohol presence.

T- A wonderful carmel and malt up front with the taste of alcohol on the back end. The high ABV overpowers the 98 IBUs.

M- Very smooth. The ABVs balance out the 98 IBUs that would normally be very 'hoppy' in a straight IPA

D- Well balanced, but wouldn't recommend having more than one.

Settle back in a comfortable chair on the patio and savor this one.

CPTJack, May 02, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Excited to see this on the shelf at Binnys.

As soon as the cap started to lift, vapors of pungency started wafting towards me, I knew I was in for an experience.

A rich copper hue, not much of a head, a constant trickle of bubbles up and through my large Unibroue stem.

The nose lets you know just how big and rich this beer is about to be. Sweet mellowed hops (this is fresh). A few other flavors present. Oddly enough, I smell a little band aid on this one. Some citrus and pine as one might expect.

Wow, nothing like I might have expected. It has a deep nuttiness, and obviously this a well hopped beer, but they balance out with the large character of this fairly viscous beer. There just seems to be a bit less flavor than I would expect to carry off this big beer. Not that it struggles, but the abv and the nose suggested this would be richer.

The slighltly syrupy character might be just a tad sweet for my preference, and obv this is no session beer, so the drinkability takes a hit. Not that anyone is likely to pound a 4pack. The large abv is actually surprisingly well carried off tho.

All in all, interesting and balanced, but not quite mind blowing. I will throw the rest in the cellar and revisit this down the road to see how time treats it.

ShareANevada, May 01, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured slightly chilled into snifter produced a dark pretty amber with scant head though small amount of lacing lingered for quite some time. Nose was a bit sweet, hops, light floral. Taste followed suit, very smooth and well balanced, not the 'in-your-face' i was expecting with ABV being so high...quite the contrary it was a great sipping brew, fine malt taste, smooth as I said which adds for great mouthfeel and though I think it's not drinkable due to ABV, I could easily have had another and enjoyed it thoroughly!!

rwdkosak, May 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

bottled 2009
let bottle warm for 15min after taking it out of fridge. pours burnt orange with a finger of head. smells boozy and tropical. taste is very sweet and tropical i pickup some bubblegum flavors also with a slight bitter finish with a nice malt backbone. mouthfeel is very heavy not an dipa that i could have more then a bomber of. i have had this beer many times in the last month and i prefer it served a tad colder then celler temp.
the bottle says this beer ages well and i have stashed 4 away too find out.

jsh420, Apr 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Big thank you to deliriumfest for this beer.

A: Relatively dark amber liquid with a creamy ecru cap that sticks around very well.

S: Tons of pungent hops. It smells like pine oil, bordering on full-on pinesol but not unpleasantly so. Some brown sugar and caramel from the malt.

T: The beer is dominated by piney and a bit citric hops. There is alcohol heat in there, but it's well-hidden beneath the hops and malt backbone. As for the malt, it's caramel and sweet. Without the big hop bill, the beer would be incredibly malt sweet, but the hops do a great job balancing it out. It reminds me of Avery's Maharaja, a strong DIPA with big caramel malt sweetness balanced well by good hopping.

M: Thick with hop resins. It could be called syrupy, but it works with the flavor.

D: Not terribly drinkable. The strong flavors get to you after about half a glass. It's a delicious beer, but you could easily split a 12 oz bottle and not feel cheated. An entire bottle hits hard.

popery, Apr 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -5%

Picked up a four-pack at Whole Foods. Served in my Bell's tulip.

A - One finger of tan foam that dissipates quickly and leaves a solid cap and ring. Opaque dark brown-red amber color - probably the darkest DIPA I've ever encountered. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this strong a brew.

S - Huge citrus hoppiness with notes of tangerine and pine, and a nice caramel and bread malt backbone as well. It's a little one-dimensional, but the booze is well hidden with only a hint making its presence known.

T - There's tons of toffee and caramel up front, but then it dissolves into hop bitterness and a hint of alcohol burn. It's definitely the slowest sipping DIPA I've had, even more so than Kuhnhenn Extreme. The aftertaste is surprisingly neutral.

M - Velvet smoothness, nice warming sensations, low carbonation; it's almost cask-like and really quite terrific.

D - This is a one and out type of brew - 12oz is more than sufficient. The alcohol just builds and builds and a serious buzz sets in about half way through the glass.

I'm wishing this had been hoppier and more bitter - it's far more balanced than other high ABV DIPAs (PtY, Kuhnhenn, Unearthly, Big Head San Diego). I can actually see this aging quite nicely - maybe I'll stash one bottle from my four-pack and see what happens.

MasterSki, Apr 27, 2009