Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz bottle from Heritage in Minneapolis.

A: Pours a darker amber color with a finger of white head that reduces to a film around the edges of the liquid. Slight lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like a boozy citrus hop grapefruit smash!

T: Much more balance in the flavor, with the tastes similar to the smells but with a very good complimenting maltiness as well. A very crisp finish, which is different than most DIPAs I've had that are BITTER! Small bit of alcohol in there.

M: Creamy and full bodied with a little bit of alcohol warming at the end.

D: More drinkable than most DIPAs I've encountered because it's so well balanced between the hop flavor and malt flavor. Alcohol is the only thing keeping this from being a 5.

I wish this were easier found and year round as I'd keep it stocked. Different than my other DIPA favs Hopslam, Maharaja and 16 Grit, etc but just as good in a different way.

dukedevil0, Apr 01, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Had on tap last night at Stub and Herbs, review taken from my tasting notes.

A: The beer is served in a lovely tuliped goblet. It is a deep amber gold color with a creamy whitish/beige head . Lightly carbonated. A strong lace outlines where the head once was.

S: A floral hop bouquet assaults my nose. As the beer warms up I get plenty of citrus fruits. There is a nice fruitiness as well. You get evident sweetness from the malts. In the end I get a faint whiff of alcohol.

T: Malty sweetness on the tongue first, followed by a pleasantly hoppy bitterness. The hop flavors in this beer are fantastic too. I get a lot of citrus flavors like grapefruit, tangerine, and even a little orange. The fruity esters augment the hops. The 13.6% alcohol does show its head a bit, but smooths out as the beer warms.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. The alcohol drys the palate out nicely.

D: This was a pretty, damn complex DIPA. Not just a hop bomb, it really gives you some malts to appreciate as well. The high ABV unfortunately kicks down the drinkability a bit. I really want to have more of these, but it just isn't possible if I want to drive home. Really worth a try.

brewdoc75, Mar 31, 2009
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

About time I got my hands on this one. It pours a dark amber with a thin creamy head, which is gone in a matter of minutes. Carbonation is still present, but very subtle. The nose is sweet with malt, showing hints of caramel, followed by a grapefruity hop aroma. The flavors in this brew are almost overwhelming. The malt and alcohol are noticed at first, with caramel and brandy notes, followed with a kick of piney, citrusy resinous hops. DCT is viscous, full-bodied, and absolutely waxes the palate. The finish lasts forever. It's a great beer to have as a lone sipper, but I wouldn't consume more than one in a sitting. Make sure it's the first of the night.

WYVYRN527, Mar 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Really like Dark Horse's regular IPA so was looking forward to this one & missed it entirely last spring when it made a brief appearance in the Twin Cities. Was on the lookout this year & delighted to find a few cases on the floor at the always accomodating, always well-stocked Dennis Brothers. Four-pack found it's way into the trunk with a couple other gems (sold me on a Yeti Espresso, too!). This beer couldn't possibly live up to the year I missed it...right?

Looks nothing like the IPA, which is freakishly orange, opaque, & filled with enough floaties to qualify as a beaver pond. The Double is clear, coppery, pure-looking, no head. Smell is eyebrow-bendingly tame.

In we go. Yes, there are some hops in here, wham, bam, thank you ma'am. I don't think I've every felt the hop bite into the back of my breastbone before. Holy sumbitch. I'm grinning like a school girl. There's a bit of a malt bill in there somewhere, but the hops made them their bitch. Wow. I can feel all sorts of internal organs going numb.

I was afraid this wouldn't live up to its billing after the mild nose on it, but hey, I was wrong. Flat as a thirteen year old Bill Gates, but who cares? Strangely drinkable, I think you have to enjoy having your palate & innard pummeled a bit to enjoy this one.

Excellent brew from a brewery that knows you ought not "balance" your DIPA, but should have it doing leg lifts to kick your ass. My calves are starting to tingle. Well done.

maximum12, Mar 25, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured into a snifter. Clear copper color, with almost no head.
Somewhat subdued aroma. Some pine and hops, but not as much as I was expecting. Sweet smell, with pineapple and citrus. Alcohol as well.
The hops is more present in the taste. Pine is present as well. Definite alcohol presence but well-concealed for its strength. Very low level of bitterness.
Fairly smooth for an IPA. A little flat. Very slight tingle from carbonation, with an alcohol burn on the way down.
I did not expect this one to be very drinkable. I am surprised- at about two-thirds of the way through, I am not feeling the booze as much as I thought I would by now. Still wouldn't want to have more than a couple of these in one sitting.

WilliamD, Mar 22, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A: pretty awesome looking beer. deep redish brown with half an inch slightly off white head

S: lots of citrus and piney hops. can smell a sizable malt backbone and a bit of heat from the alcohol

T: bitterness is first to attack the pallet. also a nice sweet malt flavor with notes of complex fruit just under the surface. gives a food sense of balance to the hop assault. the alcohol adds a kick to the end of the sip, something i usually don't enjoy but it's really working here. As I am drinking through the glass and my pallet numbs from the IBU's and alcohol, I am left tasting mostly malt sweetness and smelling hops. In a way the beer is tasting more and more like citrus juice.

M: syrupy. reminds me more then a bit of the cereal killer barely wine i had a week or so ago. a bit thinner and with a tad more carbonation

D: As noted above, I can taste the alcohol but I don't mind. Not exactly a sipper (although at 13.6 percent abv it should be) but not the most drinkable DIPA out there.

lamarr04, Mar 18, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice beer.
What a gorgeous color! Rich amber color from the specialty malts. About a quarter inch white foam head develops on a fair pour into a tulip glass but it retreats to the edge of the glass within a couple of seconds.

Aroma is full of aggressive American alpha hops and you can tell by taking a whiff there is some malt there.

Being an IPA there is a huge hit of bitter but fruity hops right up front. Towards the middle the huge malty backbone comes out and is very sweet. The finish is HOT and SPICY! I didn't know the ABV was 13% until I saw it on this site.

Best DIPA in the great Beer State of MI.

ahking, Mar 13, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to Merlin48 for this one. Been wanting to try it for a couple of years now. Here goes:

Pours a deep copper, leaning towards the color of rust. Carbonation seemed low, so I really got on this pour, and a decent head, white with yellow highlights, came about, and dropped slowly to a mm covering. Looks really good.

I can smell this one from where it sits, but I'll get my nose in there and really inhale the bouquet. Strong citrus hops, and equally strong caramelized dark sugar and malt aroma.

Flavor is a bit weaker than I would have thought. I attribute this to being an older sample, as well as the obviously high level of malt flavor, which seems to balance out the hops more. At any rate, good citrus hops and a strong not quite maple syrupy malt flavor. I'm sure after about a quarter of the glass, that this is indeed an older bottle. This is more of a strong barleywine at this point. Good, but not what I was after.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy, long finish, with a healthy bittering linger.

Drinkability is not too high, based on availability, the sample I had access to, and the high ABV. I can't say that alcohol flavor is detected, but after 4 or 5 drinks, I can start to feel a little of the effects. A pretty good beer, but not a great one. Cheers!

dancinwillie, Feb 24, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Came out orange-copper and very hazy. Small off-white head settled to a layer after a minute.

S: Surprisingly balanced nose. Citrus and grassy hops are there for sure, accompanied by a substantial malt nose of molasses and caramel. Very interesting.

T: Very bitter hop presence of pine and citrus is trying to be kept in check by a huge malt backbone of sweet caramel. The hops ultimately win however. No alcohol taste at all!

M: Thick and heavy, as would be expected from such a large amount of malt. Low carbonation and an interestingly bittersweet aftertaste, that lingers for quite a while.

D: Definitely a sipper, but worth taking one's time as all the nuances come out.

A huge DIPA to say the least. There is nothing little about this brew. I almost felt like a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest! Perhaps not the best DIPA on the market, but certainly worth a try. This bottle had been in storage a while, so I'd be curious to test a fresh one!

PirateUlf73, Feb 20, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

This bottle has at least 6-8 months of age on it. A cloudy orange/amber pour with a finger of frothy off white head.Aroma is muted grapefruit,orange,sweet caramel malt, a nice hint of bread and pine. Flavor starts sweet then citrus,then some spice I (not sure what maybe peppercorn),honey and spruce. A nice little warming at the slightly dry bitter finish. Full body ,sticky mouthfeel,soft carbonation. Very Very Good ! A very complex IIPA.

WakeandBake, Feb 12, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle acquired in trade.

Poured a deep copper/amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Some floaters. Aromas of grapefruit, oranges, alcohol and some spiciness. Tastes of caramel, grapefruit, some alcohol (less than the aroma), and other citric fruits. Full body if somewhat on the flat side. Definitely a beer to sip. Cool green waxed bottle.

Notes from: 2/5/06

hopdog, Feb 11, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy amber brown with a medium creamy off white head that sticks around till' the fat lady sings. It leaves really good lacing in ti's trails.

The aroma is of pine and floral hops with caramel malts in the back.

The flavor is much the same as above. Lots of caramel and pine hops.

FULL bodied and very smooth for being freekin' 13.60 % abv! My goodness, it should be labled a barley wine ale! 13.60.... golly...

This is too drinkable, the alcohol is very well hidden. Man...

hoplover82, Feb 08, 2009

Poured into a snifter.

A-Ruby-amber beer, slightly hazy; look ominous, maybe murky. Head was pretty much not there. The high alcohol likely interfered with it.

S-Dark and sticky! Hops coming through were slightly orangey with a thick, perfumy resinous aroma. A bit of bright maltiness flirts with some fruit (can't quite put my finger on what kind).

T-Extreme bitterness sets in immediately, followed in kind by a smash in the face of big resiny/piney hops. However, these hops flavors remain under control. A pretty substantial malty backbone gives this beer a nice uhmph. Interestingly, the only reason I can tell this beer is so high of an ABV is a slight prickle on my tongue in the finish; the alcohol feel and flavor in this brew is very smooth.

M-Low carbonation with a full, slick-bodied mouthfeel. As stated, the alcohol is very smooth.

D-Hmm, defining drinkability for a beer such as this is difficult. I consumed this brew slowly and enjoyed every sip. I shared a sip with my roommate, who also enjoyed it. I finished this beer and wow, was I satisfied. I want another. I'll call that high drinkability.

CHSLBrew, Feb 04, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

2008.

A - Pours a hazy, rusty amber with a piss foam head into the snifter. This beer just looks unpleasant. Luckily, I know it's not.

S - Huuuuge caramel malt base. Huge. Toffee. Huuuuge hop aroma. Citrus. Pine. Pineapples. Booze notes, but nothing that says "13.6%". Wonderful fruit.

T - Sweet on the tongue at first, and finishes with a nice fruity citrus twang... which slowly turns into heavy bitterness. Huge booze notes throughout. Just a huge, heavy, slow-drinkin' brew.

M - Medium-thick bodied, almost syrupy, with a fine, even carbonation. Nice.

D - This one, she's a sipper.

Notes: I can't believe I never reviewed this beer. A bruiser fresh, and a near-barleywine with a little time on it. I like this at every stage.

SaucyA, Feb 01, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Draft at Dark Horse.

Poured a hazy copper color with an average creamy off-white head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate hoppy citrus aroma. Medium to full body with a sticky texture. Heavy tart hoppy citrus flavor with a smooth long lasted bitter finish.

Good brew with no alcohol bite.

tmoneyba, Jan 30, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Pours a dark orange with a little head that fades to light film. Smell of hops dominates, with some fruity piney smell in there too, and a little malty. Little lacing as the beer is consumed. Tastes hoppy, bitter, malty, and of course the fruity pine flavors are apparent. Pretty good balance and very drinkable considering how strong the hops are in this one. Not my favorite style but definitely a worthy brew.

tconboy, Jan 23, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a nice brown orange color. 1/2 finger initial pour.

Smell is of a huge hop aroma with a piney/floral slightly grapefruity chracteristic. Several varities of hop make this beer wonderful and complex.

Taste is of pine and floral hops. There is a tiny bit of grapefruit flavor that masks the caramel malts and pale malts underneath, but in a good way.

This beer is full bodied and crisp. The hop juice comes through intensely.

The alcohol is nicely masked with all the hop flavor.

BIG THANKS TO DAVID EDIFFE FOR THE EXTRA.

jasonjlewis, Jan 09, 2009

Received as an extra in a trade...I believe from beerbeagle thanks!

Appearance: More red than any IPA i've ever tried before. Probably uses a more aggressive malt. 1.5 fingers of white head comprised of fine bubbles. Some retention and nice lacing.

Smell: Wow this is one extremely bitter smelling Imperial IPA with 98 IBU's. A faint touch of malt but really all about the bitter hops in the nose.

Taste: Yeah this brew definitely uses a more aggressive malt to counterbalance the bitterness but its not an overly caramel toffee sweet malt. Nor can the malt overpower the bitterness of the hops. Bitter from the start to finish.

Mouthfeel: I like how the brew remains light/med in mouthfeel despite the malt.

Drinkability: The mouthfeel keeps this one drinkabie despite the bitterness of the hops.

koopa, Jan 03, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A- This is a lovely red/amber color with a slight effervescent action in the glass. The head is creamy and thick.

S- The hop smell is great, sweet and fruity. This beer smells sweet. I smell something that I can't quite put my finger on, I want to say cherry but I'm not sure.

T- The taste is great, the hop taste is smooth and not over powering. It is still there with a great bite. I'm getting a slight metallic taste with this, and it seems to add to the bit of the beer. I can say that this hides the ABV super super well.

M- There is a slight thickness to this beer, but the effervescent carbination helps cut that down. Very tasty!

D- Very drinkable to say the least. Very well rounded brew.

Wetpaperbag, Dec 12, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +1%

12 oz. bottle, waxed and capped, courtesy of DrDogbeer - thanks a lot!!! My first wax-dipped 12 oz. bottle, and it was poured into a cervoise.

Appearance: Glug glug glug. This one pours a thick, hazy, dirty orange/brown. Hmmm, doesn't look like much of a head is forming on this pour ... better increase the angle of the pour ... oh shit, it's vertical, still no head. The bottle's empty - what now? Wait. ... what's that? Slowly, every so slowly, agonizingly, painfully slowly, pinpoint-sized bubbles rise to the surface: only a few at first, then more, dozens, hundreds. All they can muster is a puny, half-inch of tan foam which fades surprisingly quickly, given how solid and cloud-like it initially looked. There is, surprisingly again, some lacing, very thin but very solid-looking.

Aroma: Pungent, resinous hop oils dominate here, thick and sticky. A surprisingly large amount of fruits in the nose, grapefruit, strawberries, with a healthy dose of pine as well. As it warms, you get progressively darker malt notes as well - it was initially naught but lightly caramelized sugar notes, and it's gradually progressed to the point where I'm picking up toasted raisin bread, waffles, maple syrup. Interesting.

Taste: If this is 13.6% alcohol-by-volume, I'm ... well, something that I couldn't possibly be, which is all by way of saying that this really doesn't taste like a 13.6 abv% beer. In many ways, it tastes like a mellowed, chilled-out, well-aged DFH 120 minute. Through all the syrupy thickness, you get lots of fantastic hop flavors - tropical fruits, strawberries, citrus, pine needles, basil-like herbalness. Of course, the syrupy thickness itself is a result of this one's massive malt bill which lends heavy, doughy roasted sugars, caramel, hints of chocolate, toffee, honey. The fruity nature of the hops meld well with the sticky malts and evoke a number of "malty" fruits - raisins, figs - that are perhaps there, perhaps aren't, though I sure seem to think I'm tasting them. This one's also not a DIPA that's all about the bitter - bitterness is an afterthought here, with all the hops going into this one definitely going in late in the boil. Between the hop goodness and the thick, sticky malt foundation, there's truly not even a hint of alcohol, which both is truly impressive and makes for a damn tasty brew.

Mouthfeel: Have I mentioned it's thick and syrupy yet? I have? Ok, well, I'll say it again for good measure - this is one thick, syrupy beer, but it really doesn't feel cloyingly thick on the tongue, and finishes surprisingly clean and sticky-free. You can feel that there's some carbonation here, but it doesn't really "rise to the surface" as in some thinner-bodied beers - imagine it as a low-floating fog on the surface of the tongue rather than a fluffy, pillowy cloud. If someone told me that this was the absolute lightest mouthfeel they could get out of a 13.6% DIPA, I would believe it, so I can't knock it too much.

Drinkability: Almost more of an aged American barleywine, this one - that is, it was expertly balanced, sweet, but with plenty of hop notes to keep things interesting. The 13.6 abv% - pretty bloody high, to be sure - is absolutely nowhere to be found, except, perhaps, in my rapidly-decreasing finger dexterity; I actually found myself finishing this off rather quickly. Kudos to Dark Horse for a killer brew, and recommended for sure.

CrellMoset, Dec 09, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to mynie for sending this long time want of mine.

Pours a hazy amber/copper color with a good sized head, fades a bit fast but leaves some lacing along the glass.

Smell is well-balanced, decent hop aroma but I was rather surprised by the sweetness, strong caramel malt presence.

Much like the smell, the taste isn't the hop bomb you would expect but is rather balanced, although slightly leaning towards the sweet.

Not sure how much this has aged, but it does say "ages well" on the bottle and I'd have to believe them.

deltatauhobbit, Dec 08, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Wax looks nice on a bottle, but such a pain in the ass to pop that cap.

Pours a fully murky orange touched brown. Very thin creme head. Nose is tangy, citric, and malty. Flavor is a slight alcohol burn (no surprise there with a 13.6% beer), but not as much as you might expect. Slick and smooth liquid feel. Low carbonation. Overall really thick on the malts and quite earthy. I like it, but this is one of those once in a while brews. Still remains very easy to drink. (this is 13.6%? Really?)

Thanks to raverjames for the nice extra.

RblWthACoz, Nov 24, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

A- murky amber to copper in color with a very small beige head that quickly becomes a crown. lots of even lacing.

S- woah, thats alot of hops. blast of citrus hops and some caramel malts.

T- the hops are very present still 10 months after release. lots of caramel malt to balance things out. lots of citrus hops. very bitter. the only evidence of alcohol is the warming left in my stomach

M- full bodied and mouth coating. ample carbonation.

D- the massive ABV thats well hidden makes this very dangerous. id love to have a couple in a sitting, but that might not be such a good idea. check this out if you can!

jwinship83, Nov 16, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to OC for sending me this one in the TBS Birthday Beer Club v2.0 I've been wanting to try this beer for a while.

Pours a fiery sunset color with a good inch of foam. Great retention so far, some lacing as well.

Loads of orange, pink grapefruit, and citrus hops, aged though. A large malt backbone, mostly caramel aromas with some biscuit and nutty malts. Floral and flowery hops begin to show up. There's also a metallic aroma that I noticed since I started pouring, not too distracting but it's there. Hints of mango, papaya, and pineapple.

Again, a lot of orange, grapefruit and citrus but the malt is more present in the taste. Toasted, caramel and biscuit malts with a hint of chocolate in the finish. A bit of a grassy aftertaste. Much like a barleywine but rather enjoyable, some toffee flavors are starting to develop too and that's the type of barleywines I like. Very fruity at first with some citrus, mango, nectarine, peach and a bit of cherry and the second half is all about the toasted, caramel and biscuit malt...pretty good combination. I do have to say though that aged DIPAs are not my thing.

Low carbonation but very smooth, a tad syrupy and sticky on the lips. Alcohol is very well hidden.

seaoflament, Nov 09, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Big thanks goes out to Gillard for the awesome box.

Pours a very nice looking ruby red clear color with a hard to produce but lingering off white head that leaves decent lacing. Looks to be quite viscous coming out of the bottle.

Nose is very strong with a deep deep malt backbone and huge sweet and bitter hop resin dankness.

Taste is quite rich and very very sweet. This one defenitely borders on the defenition of an IPA, as expected when things start getting above that 11 mark. I do however think this one can be called an IPA. The hop profile is there for sure. Hop resins, bitter, some piney flavor, and a touch of grapefruit and sticky resiny notes. Bitterness takes a minute, but when it arrives, it is noticeable. Finish is bitter and relatively dry for the viscosity of this bad boy.

Mouthfeel is exactly what it should be for a beer of this magnitude and style. Quite viscous, but it works well with the strength and boldness of this beer. Slightly undercarbonated, and yeah, could be just a touch thinner.

Drinkability is good for the style, but great for the abv. Think relative here, as this one is certainly a sipper. But if you bought a beer that was 13.6% thinking you were gonna slam some at the company picnic, well then your just a goddamn idiot. Goes down incredibly easy and dangerously for that abv, but again, make no mistake, your keys do not need to be in your possession after one or two of these.

Overall a beer of significant magnitude, and bold flavor. It is certainly a malty mofo, but the hops are defenitely in there. A unique, and impressive brew, as this one seems like it should be alot more difficult to drink than it is. Defenitely one worth having a go at. A good one from Dark Horse, and one i would love to revisit. Someday. haha. Thanks again to Gillard for a great box. Good brew.

AKBelgianBeast, Oct 28, 2008