Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: putnam on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Light mahogany, very cloudy with clumps of white sediment floating in the beer. The head is small and fades quickly leaving behind scattered clumps of lacing. I would recommend leaving the yeast in the bottle for this one.

S - An extremely sharp pine aroma - I'd call it chemical, but it is too intense for any chemical that I have ever smelled. Honestly, it smells more intense then I am used to. There is also a strong alcohol, but the pine overshadows it.

T - A slight sweet caramel flavor with an extremely intense pine that joins it. The aftertaste is fairly bitter, but not as near to the intensity of the pine in the flavor.

M - Smooth, rather thick and refreshing to boot.

D - Good. Very good. It goes does extremely easily. I just wish the yeast blended better. It is not the sort of thing to drink every day, but it is definitely good to have once. I might try it again if I ever find myself up Michigan way. Definitely a blessing to hopheads out there.

mrasskicktastic, Dec 07, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to trbeer for the trade...
This bottle is about 1.5 years old.
Appears a transparent, mahogany amber with a creamy, off-white head that slowly fades out. Scattered streaks of lacing are left all around the glass.
Smell is of biscuity, hoppy, brown sugar, caramel, mild astringency, very mild oxidation(hardly noticable), resinous pine, and honey.
Taste is of the same aromas highlighted by the honey flavored malts jumping out of the sugary, bitter brew.
Mouthfeel is syrupy, barleywine-esque, with a sugary, hoppy mix. This one still seems hot, even after letting it mellow for over a year.

weeare138, Nov 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Second time I've had this. Enjoyed it so much the first time that I had to go trade for another.

Poured for a 12oz bottle into a tulip. The wax was a SOB to get through so I could open the thing. It adds a nice appear to the bottle but I think they laid it on a little to thick.

Pours murky and dark. Not like my beloved CA DIPA's but beer cannot be judged on looks alone. Bottle conditioned so be careful on the pour.

Aroma is very nice. Sweet malt, citrus hops, a bouquet on every aspect of this beer. I bet even water used to brew this smells good.

This beer is big and hoppy. Being a DIPA can be very arguable though. More of a barley wine than a DIPA, but who cares it taste great. Nice alcohol presence, tons of citrus hops. Beautiful malt backbone. A great beer at every angle.

As you can tell I thoroughly enjoy everything about this beer (well except opening it). They could call this thing a saison for all I care, it's a great tasting beer that I would love to have many on hand. Be very interesting to cellar a couple of these and try one ever 6 months or so. I bet in a year or two this beer would be something else.

Callenak, Nov 15, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

12oz bottle from a long ago trade or BIF.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, with a few random bubbles over the cloudy coppery amber brew. Lacing was minimal, at best. Aroma consisted of musty grains and ample alcohol. Taste also exhibited the same dull malt flavor, with moderate hops character and alcohol warmth on the swallow. Mouthfeel is okay, as is drinkability, but just not exciting enough to meet the Double IPA style and/or make me ravished enough to search it out again. A rare miss for me from these guys.

ppoitras, Oct 21, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Received this bottle from the The Great BIF Race.

Pours something like what an unfiltered apple cider looks like. Very different. Hard pour produced about an inch of light tan head...and lots of floaties. Thick lacing at the top of the glass thins out towards the bottom.
If it wasn't for the unexpected floaters this could have been rated higher.

The aroma consists of caramel, yeasty bread, toffee, light hops in the background. Not much notice of the high abv in the smell. I guess if it was fresher the hops would be more pronounced, but this still smells good.

The flavor follows the same path, with the hops playing second fiddle to the caramel and toffee. Some bitterness and alcohol at the finish.

Slick, syrupy mouthfeel. Mild carbonation. I bet this one is better when fresh. Aftertaste only lasts about 30 seconds. Not bad at all, but I should have drank this sooner, I think.

Imstillthegman, Oct 16, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A one of a kind appearance to the DIPA. Looks like muddy thick water. Or very raw apple juice. A plethora of floaties consume the liquid. Hard pour reveals a small off white/yellow head that fades into a ring with little lace left behind.

Well this may be another culprit of the "sit in the cellar and forget about it till it's not a peak syndrome". The nose is pungent caramel, and toffee malt, the floral, piney hop aromas are laid back and hidden by the malt. There are pleasing fruity esters throughout. Very pleasing aromas. Just lacking in hop.

Well the hops come out in the mouth more but it is still dominated by the huge toffee malt. A nice alcohol burn is in the chest after the first sip. The hop that is there is juicy, and palate coating resiny. Leaves a mouthwatering bitter finish of about 45 seconds. There are even hints of apple, and alcohol in the flavor as well. Nice balance and complexity but I do think it's been aged slightly too long. I will definitely have to locate one of these to try at an earlier stage of it's life.

mcallister, Oct 11, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Pours a burnt orange color and quite murky, still showing a smallish cream head. Sweet citrusy hops and big malty sweetness in the aroma. Also a faint smell of alcohol which comes thru stronger in the taste, letting you know its big. Taste follows aroma with a little spiciness in the fairly dry finish. This one is starting to wane a little in that the mouthfeel is going slightly flat with low carbonation, but I still enjoy it as much today as I did early in the summer when it was fresh, in fact I like the low amt of carbonation and some of the alcohol in the taste, while still present, has mellowed just a bit. A great dipa with a big malt backbone, can't wait for next years.

hoppymeal, Sep 27, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a very cloudy orange-brown with a medium sized off-white head. The crown dies off fast enough but leaves some nice lacing on the side of the glass.

The nose is all malt, fruit and alcohol with sweet grain notes and a strong dose of apple cider and pear. Mild hops with a very earthy tone - some what mossy and woody.

The flavor is pure barleywine with strong malt notes, a heavy residual sweetness and plenty of alcohol burn. Light on the hop flavors with some echo of a Noble hop deep in the background. Rich fruity flavors compliment the caramel and golden grain notes.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy with some obvious sedimentation on the tongue and not enough carbonation to clear the palate after each sip. No bitterness to dry each sip means there's a pretty thick coating of residual sugars and oils covering the palate.

If they'd called this a barleywine I would have rated it above average though not spectacular for a barleywine. Calling this a double IPA, even if it had a larger hop presence (which it might have right out of the finishing tank) puts it in a class where the brew really doesn't measure up well. The malts are much too heavy, the hops are almost non-existent and the alcohol sweetness is the predominant flavor. I have to wonder if any IPA with this high an alcohol content can really measure up and if this brew was really meant to be aged (and in the process losing all the presumed hop character)

This was a disappointment on a number of levels.

RedwoodGeorge, Aug 11, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Stone Ruination glass. Burnt copper orange with thin and spitty-like head. The head dissipates quickly, I don't know if this happens with loads of alcohol?

The smell is like a strong DFH 90 min, maybe it's close to the DFH 120min. It smells complex, malt aromas fighting it out with tons of hops. Almost barley-winey in the malt.

The flavor is best described as a massively hopped barleywine. Pretty nice but I couldn't drink too many (not just the alcohol content but this is a little too in your face with flavor too).

TurdFurgison, Jul 30, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Extremely murky. Burnt orange. Sticky cream-colored head that fades and leaves a ring of foam. Lots of sediment. Very, very chunky. Does not fall, hangs all throughout the beer.

S: Sweet and citrusy hop aroma. Ruby red grapefruit. Some pine notes. Sweet caramel malt.

T: Overpowering flavors all around. Big hops and lots of sweet malt. Palate-numbing sweetness. Lots of caramel malt that is balanced with loads of fragrant hops.

M: Very thick and syrupy. Can feel some of the chunks, which isn't my thing.

D: Very strong. Taste like the 13-14% that it is. Flavors are big and bold. 12oz is almost too much for me. I love DIPA (even in bomber bottles), but this one is almost too much for me.

kdmorse, Jul 27, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Brilliant gold-tinged amber pours thickly, resistant to forming a head. Ruby light shows through. A thin film and sticky ring of foam is all that is left of the head in just a few moments.

Slightly abrasive, slightly greasy, slightly peachy/apricoty hop is dominant. Upon opening the bottle and before even pouring, hops hit your nose within seconds and are strong enough to smell like a cooled IPA wort: super fresh and green hoppiness. A caramelly/raisiny malt is just barely detectible.

AMAZINGLY balanced in the palate! Caramelly/raisiny malt is stong enough to hold up to a BARRAGE of intense and varied hop flavor. Citrus, resin, peach, apricot, and a hint of cedar and pine hop are all represented. The hops are STRONG but not overpowering, and not abrasive. Absolutely amazing, you've got to try this to believe that this much hop flavor can actually fit in a beer and still taste so good! Heavy fusel alcohol gives an alcoholic spice which beautifully ties the malt and hops together. 13.6% abv is really only noticed in the warming effect on my throat, and the quick buzz...

Moderately thick body with delicate carbonation makes for a very smooth and pleasant body.

This is one of the most incredibly tasty beers I have ever had. Without a doubt, the best DIPA that has graced my lips with it's blessed bitterness. AMAZING! If this wasn't 13.6%, it would have scored a 5 on drinkability too, but something this strong just can't be "ultimately drinkable", however, it's damned close!!!

sopor, Jul 25, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz single, Much Thanks to Hoppymeal for the opportunity to try this long awaited beer....98 IBU's, 13.6 ABV

appearance: interesting artistic label depicting some sort of evil tree...green wax sealing around the top of the bottle letting you know its good. pours into a chalice a very dark and murky garnet-amber...extremely muddy/murky unlike anything i have ever seen...light beige creamy head with very little retention and only some light lacing around the rim

smell: thick and heavy caramel malt combatted by strongly bitter citrus hops, big pine resin aroma, raisins/dates, inevitable alcohol presence in the nose...very sweet, booze soaked plum, thick and syrupy, great complexity noted

taste: There is no debating the fact that this is a hardcore DIPA...It takes a decidedly more balanced route than the other 2 monster IPA's I have had (Devil Dancer and 120 minute IPA). Strong bitterness noted immediately, pungent citrus hops with strong pine presence. Alcohol is rather hot, as expected given the abv...deep warming sensation left behind from the alcohol. Thick and chewy malt backbone with strong notes of caramel, raisins, toffee, spice, plum. Well balanced, extraordinarily complex, chewy, sticky, and strong.

mouthfeel: huge hop bitterness, sticky pine, thick and syrupy malt structure

drinkability: give the above narratives, i'd say it held up alright

dirtylou, Jun 27, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz Bottle Thanks to Northertimber for the trade, thus allowing me to try this brew. Green wax sealing in the cap...13.6%, 98 IBU's. Holding on to my horses, so to speak. Here we go.

Darkest IIPA i've ever come across. Its murky like mop water. Cloudy peach with plenty of yeast floaties. Relatively no head, just a thin layer of bubbles that are scattered about. Not the most appetizing looking beer but the darkness of this one makes it quite mysterious indeed.

Definitely a good bit of alcohol presence. Boatload of floral hops and caramel malt as well. This is gonna be one massive beer.

Wowser, smooth like butta. Very very balanced, something I wasn't expecting. Huge malt profile that has a nice toffee taste to it. A little roasted caramel as well. Hop bitterness, as expected, is delicious. Nice floral and citrus taste that lingers on the tongue. Again, some more tofee near the end as it finishes a nice juicy hop bittersweet. I think i'm in love.

A nice creamy mouthfeel to this one. Medium-full bodied overall, but incredibly full for a double IPA. This is like hop syrup. Very little carbonation, but the beer doesn't taste flat.

For a beer that I thought was going to be over the top bitter, this one ended up being incredibly balanced and unbelievably drinkable. Think Two-Hearted x2 and you'll get this bad boy from Dark Horse. Truely an exceptional beer all around.

trep, Jun 13, 2006

Thanks to CRJMellor for this one. Impressive bottle with spooky tree spirit label and green wax dipped top. The Double Crooked Tree pours a hazy peachy orange with a slight white head, quickly fading to thin wisps encircling the glass. Aroma is caramel and almost candi sugar sweet, with plenty of citrus and pine sap to buffer the sweetness.

The hops are at the forefront of the taste, bitter orange and resinous, before lots of sweetness and heat kicks in through the middle. Bitterness stays with you throughout, with some interesting lightly toasted and bready notes floating about as well. Mouthfeel is very full and if it weren’t for the dominant hop presence, this would certainly venture more towards the big barleywine area. Finish is tongue-rippingly biter and quite warming from the alcohol. Definitely different, and impressively hoppy.

mikeys01, Jun 02, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

@Darkhorse
This beer poured a dark orange/amber color and formed an off white head that disappeared slowly. The aroma was heavy mix of hops with some pine and caramel notes in the background. The flavor was of hops and a mix of caramel and other sweets. The finish was sweet and the alcohol was present and created a very warming effect afterwards.

Wildman, Jun 02, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to an unknown saint for giving me a taste of this at the Dark Lord release, and thanks to hoppymeal for trading it to me. The combination hop and alcohol nearly spun my nose around when I took my first whiff. Beautiful pine hop,riding a wave of ethanol,cloudy amber orange color,huge hop citrus dominating taste,a sticky sweet malt try unsuccessfully to balance it and an everpresent huge alcohol taste. An absolutely wonderful hoppy sipping brew,a little more alcohol then I remember in my first taste,but I'm already working out a trade for more

grynder33, May 23, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a deep hazed burnt orange with a very nice established one finger head that really stuck to the glass leaving a sheet of lace behind stupid me I poured kinda harsh letting all the chunks and floaties swirl about in the finish pour.Wholy shneikies is this thing fresh smelling like freshly and I means freshly mown grassover top pine neadles with a touch of hay just awesome.Quite dry on the palate not much residual sweetness that comes from alot of dipa's big and herbal with damp leaves that come to mind the malt base is more like that of cracker malt quite dry.Thick,resiny and chewey with a more noticable apricot-like flavor in the finish as I drink more.This has alot of complexities going on the alcohol comes as you drink more providing sweetness,a fine offering.Pure and simple its hop juice.

oberon, May 09, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz bottles. This one pours a very dark and murky tea color with a pretty full coat over top that has just a few breaks in it. Clarity is not very good, and only a few stray bubbles are climbing up the side of the glass. Aroma is really where this one grabs me. Incredibly sweet and citrusy hops overlaying a very chunky caramel sweet malty base. There is not a lot more there, but I don't think there needs to be. Smells great. Flavor is not nearly as forceful as I expected. It hits first with a ton of caramel, moving to the citrusy and sweet hop flavors. Bitterness is only moderate, but still there. It doesn't get in the way of the flavors but really accentuates the finish with a little exclamation point. The malty sweetness is really thick...not offensive or obtrusive, but very prevalent. Mouthfeel on this one is thick, with a very light carbonation. The feel definately makes this one more of a sipper to me than something I can really drink fast, but at over 13%, that is a good thing. Dark Horse is really starting to impress me. I really need to make a trip to Michigan once I'm closer, as there is a lot I am missing by not having visited yet. This one is another winner.

kmpitz2, May 06, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

I got this beer from MABZ on teem Spring as part of the 2006 Great Race BIF.

This beer pours a cloudy dark orange color with a bit of yeast sediment. It has a thin off white head that fades quickly, leaving a moderate lacing.

This beer has a strong grassy hop aroma. It smells sweet also. I detect some citrus aroma. The aroma is very strong. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle.

This beer tastes quite hoppy. It is grassy. It is balanced with some caramel sweetness though. It tastes slightly like a Barley Wine. I guess that would be the 13.6 % ABV. It has a slight earthy yeast taste. I can also taste a distinct grapefruit flavor.

This beer warms my mouth and throat. It is full bodied, and aggressive. It leaves a grassy aftertaste, with a slight caramel taste also. It is well balanced.

I doubt this beer would make a good session beer. It is quite high in alcohol, so any more than a 12 oz glass might be a problem. Also, the flavor is aggressive. If you are not a hophead, I would not recomend this one.

I did enjoy it though. I wish I had some more. Thank you very much MABZ for another fine beer.

OStrungT, Apr 28, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -5%

From hoppymeal...

Nice green wax coating on the cap, one wax running trails down to the label...a nice touch...

Poured with a little glug action, came out a caramel color. Some haze and lots of floaties. I didn't mean to fully dump the yeast into my glass, but oh well. Actually had some off-white head on it which clings slightly to my glass.

Aroma makes it to my nose from 3 ft away. Citrus, raw herbal and earthy hops rise forth from my pint glass. A little caramel, sugary sweetness mixes in as well.

Flavor lacks complexity in my opinion, but has some strong points which makes this receive a good rating. A strong malt background really is working its ass off to balance the bitterness in this and actually comes across well balanced. Some yeast roll malts, not the typical caramel sweet, is first noticed. Citrus rind and an earthy, peat hop profile blends fairly well. Thats about it though. Finish is definately bitter, but enjoyable in that burn the back of your throat kind of way. Alcohol...there is no hint AT ALL of what is actually in here and this is where the taste rating comes up a bit. Simple overall flavor profile but well done.

Full bodied here. This is probably from all of the malts needed to balance the bitterness, but it makes for a filling DIPA. Drinkability is fairly good. I'd like to see some more hop flavors come through to bump up the complexity and accompany the bitterness. I will say the alcohol presence, or lack thereof, is not bringing the drinkability down. This is a heavy hitter of a beer...I'm really feelin' this one...

blitz134, Apr 28, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to hoppymeal for the sample as a trade extra!!! BIG thanks!!

Woah Nelly! Poured a wicked, hazy amber with a huge pilowy head into a DFH tulip glass.

Smell reminded me of a mix of 90minute and Dreadnaught. Lots going on there. Grassiness, citrus, floral hops, malt, alcohol....WOW.

Very hoppy taste, with lots of malts to go with lots of hops. Citrusy, grassy, floral, with a nice burn as it goes down, but without a boozy taste. This is a HUGE beer. Alcohol is noticable, but only in feel and not in taste. Warms as it goes down, but the ABV is expertly masked. Holy cow, what a great beer.

Mouthfeel is oily, greasy, and chewy. Im dubbing this one "Big nasty", but in a GOOD way. I cant believe this is a 13.6% ABV beer. No cloying sweetness at all. Just a nice fight between the hops and malt for dominance. Insane drinkability for a beer this strong. I cant deduct any points for it even though more than one and youd be fighting double vision.

This is closer to a triple than a double, but whatever they want to call it, its a winner all the way.

wingnutter, Apr 27, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

As with all insanely huge beers parading themselves as double (or even triple) IPAs, there is certainly a saturation point where it becomes a super-hopped Barleywine. While I don't know where this beer stands precisely, I do know that it seriously outshines another Michigan brewer's attempt at a 'triple IPA'.

This beer is an impenetrable peach that produces a swelling, cascadingly large head that leaves a patchwork of lace-quilts on my snifter. The suspended and moving yeast globs are somewhat frightening in their large number.

The nose of this beer is hop-nirvana. I'm instantly conjuring thoughts of Dreadnaught, Ruination, Hercules, Racer X, and all of the other world class i2pa's. I'm even reminded of a more potent and pungent Rogue I2pa (egads!). Crazy fruits everywhere; less straight-up citrus and more tropical fruit harmony with the sweet malt. A slight varnish-like alcohol burn warns you that you're head will not be in tip-top shape after this.

Taste is insanity, somewhere between that overhopped barleywine and i2pa line of demarcation. Hoppiness (and hop-oils) are everywhere, but never annoying or caustic. The malt is divine here, thick, sludgy, chewable. The malt and hop battle for supremacy here, with neither winning - the victor is your tastebuds. Its like walking into a malt museum with a fantastic hop-exhibition happening.

The mouthfeel is spectacular. This is the oiliest, fattest beer i've ever had the delight to put into my mouth.

Just phenomenal. Trade to get your hands on this.

GreenWBush, Apr 17, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a muddy, amber color. Somewhat low carbonation level but considering the abv I am not suprised. Big, hop aroma mixed with a sweet, caramel malt backround. Big,slick hop flavor. Not really bitter but a resiny, piney and oil like flavor. Sizeable malty presence. The alcohol is very discreetly hidden. Huge body. All ties together quite well. Very, very drinkable. I bet this would age well.

lackenhauser, Apr 10, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer is a real asskicker. As I take my first tongue curling sip, I notice the bottle notes "98 IBU'S" in the top right corner of the label. That's quite laughable, considering it tastes more bitter than Devil Dancer's 200+ IBU. Just goes to show what bullshit that measurement really is.

Anyways, this is a good beer, especially considering its formidable strength. It pours to a dark, hazy amber color almost brown with hop residuals. The head is very thin, but it forms a nice fluffy head with an aggressive pour. Didn't expect much with a 13.6% beer, though. Lacing is very spotty. Like most Double IPA's, this is walking a very thin line between IPA and Barleywine.

The smell is of bubblegum, cotton candy, and grapefruit. Very tasty aroma. Very sweet.

The taste is quite sweet up front with a huge hoppy bitterness in the finish, along with a bit of that fig-like flavor found in most barleywines. Good, but I still think it is more of a barleywine than a DIPA. Actually does a very good job of covering the alcohol flavor, though it can still be felt.

The body is sticky and full. Lots of residual sugars coat the mouth with a cloying sweetness immediately followed by a massive dry bitterness with a late finish of alcohol.

Drinkability is laughable. I wouldn't want to drink another right now, and I don't know if I'll want to drink another. It was a good beer, but it's almost as over the top as Avery.

neonbrown82, Mar 29, 2006

Stormy dark amber brown hue with a thin settled cap of khaki head leaving no noticeable lace.

Scents are a candied malt and boozy orange peel.

First swigs: Dry candied fruit and orange peel boozy with a touch of maple syrup.

Thanks to HoppyMeal for the bottle.

Feel is dry with a big balance. Dusty grapefruit skin and orange peel

blitheringidiot, Mar 29, 2006