Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee DopplebockDark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock

good

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 10-18-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock Alström Bros

danp14, Dec 12, 2011

tellish33, Feb 27, 2012

cmsimeur, Dec 03, 2011

Jips, Nov 23, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +29.5%

If I were to review this beer, it would touch on everything everyone else said which would leave me effectively quoting everyone and not contributing my own points -- that is no good. What I WOULD like to make clear is that it was difficult for me to not compare this beer to Furthermore Oscura, a beer that I LOVE. Is it bad to compare? Maybe.
As I said, since I LOVE Oscura, I was shocked to find that this completely blew it out of the water. This has WAY more character, and body (the body difference, of course due to the style difference). I will now forever tell people that Oscura is great... BUT..."
The flavors are very similar -- that "fresh cut green pepper" smell and sting.

Excellent.

shipcamein, Dec 04, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +28.7%

Wow is the first reaction on tatsing thsi beer. I am a coffee lover so the deep, rich taste of a full body coffee shone through on every taste of this beer. It was surprisngly smooth for a Dopplebock but had many subtle taste complexities. The cafeeniene from the cofee could almost be felt. A buddy suggested it was the perfect balnace between a caffeine rush and the soothing nature of beer, I would agree.

Katahdin, Nov 12, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +28.7%

Live review. Poured from one of the four 12 ounce bottles that I bought at Reider's in Painesville a few months ago. I do not recall the price of the four pack at this time. I had a choice of two different labels at the store. I chose the more colorful one depicting a mythical creature done by guest artist Joseph Krystoflak. No observed "best by" date but two singular "A" letters printed on opposite sides of the label. Not sure what that might mean. Poured, of course, into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass that I bought at the brewery this past fall.

A Too short lived (it was there for 30 seconds) but good looking light brown head over a simply georgeous body that appears dark brown but observation in front of direct light (you've got to do this with this beer!) reveals a great caramel color with tiny specks of sediment floating about. This is a characteristic look of Dark Horse beers and I think that they are great. If the head was longer lasting and if there was any lacing at all I would consider a perfect 5 but alas, I give it 4.0

S Great coffee smell with some barley malt and very little hops to my nose. Dopplebocks were the style that first attracted me to craft/import beers (Spaten Optimator) and so tasting them always "brings me back" and I must say that the smell of this beer is as good as it gets. It is interesting, inviting, mature, great. 5.0

T Oh yes, this beer has a great Dopplebock backdrop with coffee tastes up front. Malt sweetness has that Dopplebock anise twinge to it and hops are muted if they can even be tasted. I really like the aftertaste of a lingering coffee. Wow, a great tasting beer. 5.0

M Very nice Dopplebock thickness and the coffee tastes really raise the feel on top of that. Very good. 4.5

D Very good again here. You are going to love drinking this beer. 4.5

Notes: Another expertly crafted beer from Dark Horse, easily one of my favorite breweries.

adamette, Jan 22, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +28.2%

Old bottle about 2 years old. Guest artist Joseph Krystofiak label.

Beautiful color. Smells of toffee scented coffee. Sludge on the bottom of the bottle. Some fizz still left in it. Ring of fine lace.

Solid dopple, beautiful red copper color.

Spectacular coffee taste with roasted malt. Creamy. Warming.

Dry, vanilla hints. All this from a chilled bottle. Long flavor.

I remember this being heavier.

I think it's really comparable to a coffee celebrator.

Dotcubed, Nov 17, 2009

Lanstrum, Dec 28, 2012

Rostie, Jan 09, 2012

Daniel_Douglas, Feb 21, 2014

Radiosox, Oct 26, 2013
4.73/5  rDev +26.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a mostly clear reddish brown. Seems a bit too carbonated, had to give it a slow pour.

Aroma is exploding with wonderful smells of coffee. It's hard to get much more since the coffee is so dominant but there's charred wood and I think I might be picking up some slight caramel notes way beneath the coffee.

The taste is again dominated by the coffee. However I am now definitely picking up some caramel notes and a bit of dark fruit hidden in the back. Coffee lasts throughout into the linger where some of the more subtle notes make themselves known.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, pretty clean, and somewhat creamy. Pretty easy to drink, but you have to like coffee.

As a traditional Doppelbock this was not even close but as a coffee beer this stuff is the tops. If you are into coffee beers this is a must.

roadhouse, Dec 08, 2013