Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee DopplebockDark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: oberon on 10-18-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock Alström Bros
Reviews: 443 | Hads: 1,026
4.82/5  rDev +29.2%

If I were to review this beer, it would touch on everything everyone else said which would leave me effectively quoting everyone and not contributing my own points -- that is no good. What I WOULD like to make clear is that it was difficult for me to not compare this beer to Furthermore Oscura, a beer that I LOVE. Is it bad to compare? Maybe.
As I said, since I LOVE Oscura, I was shocked to find that this completely blew it out of the water. This has WAY more character, and body (the body difference, of course due to the style difference). I will now forever tell people that Oscura is great... BUT..."
The flavors are very similar -- that "fresh cut green pepper" smell and sting.

4.8/5  rDev +28.7%

Wow is the first reaction on tatsing thsi beer. I am a coffee lover so the deep, rich taste of a full body coffee shone through on every taste of this beer. It was surprisngly smooth for a Dopplebock but had many subtle taste complexities. The cafeeniene from the cofee could almost be felt. A buddy suggested it was the perfect balnace between a caffeine rush and the soothing nature of beer, I would agree.

4.79/5  rDev +28.4%

Live review. Poured from one of the four 12 ounce bottles that I bought at Reider's in Painesville a few months ago. I do not recall the price of the four pack at this time. I had a choice of two different labels at the store. I chose the more colorful one depicting a mythical creature done by guest artist Joseph Krystoflak. No observed "best by" date but two singular "A" letters printed on opposite sides of the label. Not sure what that might mean. Poured, of course, into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass that I bought at the brewery this past fall.

A Too short lived (it was there for 30 seconds) but good looking light brown head over a simply georgeous body that appears dark brown but observation in front of direct light (you've got to do this with this beer!) reveals a great caramel color with tiny specks of sediment floating about. This is a characteristic look of Dark Horse beers and I think that they are great. If the head was longer lasting and if there was any lacing at all I would consider a perfect 5 but alas, I give it 4.0

S Great coffee smell with some barley malt and very little hops to my nose. Dopplebocks were the style that first attracted me to craft/import beers (Spaten Optimator) and so tasting them always "brings me back" and I must say that the smell of this beer is as good as it gets. It is interesting, inviting, mature, great. 5.0

T Oh yes, this beer has a great Dopplebock backdrop with coffee tastes up front. Malt sweetness has that Dopplebock anise twinge to it and hops are muted if they can even be tasted. I really like the aftertaste of a lingering coffee. Wow, a great tasting beer. 5.0

M Very nice Dopplebock thickness and the coffee tastes really raise the feel on top of that. Very good. 4.5

D Very good again here. You are going to love drinking this beer. 4.5

Notes: Another expertly crafted beer from Dark Horse, easily one of my favorite breweries.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

Old bottle about 2 years old. Guest artist Joseph Krystofiak label.

Beautiful color. Smells of toffee scented coffee. Sludge on the bottom of the bottle. Some fizz still left in it. Ring of fine lace.

Solid dopple, beautiful red copper color.

Spectacular coffee taste with roasted malt. Creamy. Warming.

Dry, vanilla hints. All this from a chilled bottle. Long flavor.

I remember this being heavier.

I think it's really comparable to a coffee celebrator.

4.73/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a mostly clear reddish brown. Seems a bit too carbonated, had to give it a slow pour.

Aroma is exploding with wonderful smells of coffee. It's hard to get much more since the coffee is so dominant but there's charred wood and I think I might be picking up some slight caramel notes way beneath the coffee.

The taste is again dominated by the coffee. However I am now definitely picking up some caramel notes and a bit of dark fruit hidden in the back. Coffee lasts throughout into the linger where some of the more subtle notes make themselves known.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, pretty clean, and somewhat creamy. Pretty easy to drink, but you have to like coffee.

As a traditional Doppelbock this was not even close but as a coffee beer this stuff is the tops. If you are into coffee beers this is a must.

4.68/5  rDev +25.5%

poured from a 12oz bottle to mug.

a little put off by appearance, light almost weak coffee appearance, absolutley no head retention, weird. aroma is off the charts fantastic, smells like a bag full of freah coffee beans. taste is spot on coffee as well, the sweet malts of a doppelbock come through in a delicate manner allowing the coffee flavor to shine. the mouthfeel is smooth, not thin like coffee, again the doppelbock. overall a phenomenal collaboration between two of my favorite beverages. would love to get more info on the technical aspects (how to) of this fantastic brew.

4.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I will preface this by saying I am not a coffee drinker or a big fan of coffee.

Pours a semi transparent dark brown with a big tan head.

The smell is intense. The freshest of roasted coffee bean smell with artisinal bread crust.

My oh my! Absolutely delicious and complex. Fresh roasted coffee, roasted malt, toffee, toasted bread, nuts, and cocoa. Just incredible.

Creamy smooth throughout and medium bodied.

I am blown away by this beer. Has a unique twist on the style, but delivers true to a doppelbock wr the same time. What an experience and what a beer. I will be getting more of this one and could put back a sixer myself I think. A must try.

4.59/5  rDev +23.1%

This will have to be my first coffee doopple. Its interesting, the beer has two lables, one with a winged evil looking creature and the other with goofy drawings and kegs on it.
I got the mystic creature.

Off the pour a foam filled 2'' head forms up, quick to recede, leaving a thin collar of retention and no lace.
The beer itself is a murky fig brown, with glowing red and brown highlights when held to the sun.

Aroma is filled with fresh ground coffee beans, peanut butter, chocolate and some caramel maltyness with a touch of grain and sweet rolls.

Flavors are an amazing semi sweet chocolate with roasted coffee, grain, and sweet caramel malts. The chocolate is like a dusting almost of sweet cocoa powder beneath the coffee. Its just an added dimention of this beer that I found to be very surprising and also very delicious. This is a terrific beer that I highly recommend.

Mouthfeel is mildly creamy with some carbonation tickle.

4.55/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Rich aroma is like fine roast coffee with just a hint of powdery unsweet chocolate. It pours a clear cola brown with a fine-bubbled pale tan head that sticks around for a bit. Mouth-filling flavor is mainly of quality coffee with an undertone of chocolate and hints of malt, caramel and nuts. Texture is fairly smooth and has a good tingle to it. A bock? Tastes more like a porter or stout than a bock to me - but whatever they call it, I call it delicious!

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

A hazy dark copper pour with a small off white head,spotty lacing,madium carbonation. Aroma is spicy and malty,lots of coffee and a bit of chocolate and smoke. Flavor is So fucking good, huge malty,grainy roasty notes with a bit of coffee and hop bitterness,toffee,nuts,and earthy rasins, medium sweet,full creamy mouthfeel,super drinkable, long malty spicy coffee finish.

I love Dark Horse.

4.51/5  rDev +20.9%

12oz. bottle poured into my Unibroue tulip glass. No bottle date present :(
**Please note that my bottle I purchased is the old label, so this is probably a decently aged brew**

(A)- Pours a light to medium brown (just like coffee!). Head formed a good 2-finger, but quickly disappeared to a very light layer of grey bubbles.

(S)- Tons upon tons of roasted coffee combined with a hint of cream. No joke, it smells exactly like coffee & creamer w/ a packet of sugar!

(T)- It is exactly like drinking a cup of creamed coffee! The sugary sweetness is probably the result of the malts added. Slight hint of smoky/hickory molasses on the finish combined with the tiniest essence of root beer. Man, this is kind of weird but good.

(M)- The easiest drinking doppelbock I have ever tried! Smooth & creamy with just a twinge of carbonation bubbles on the tongue. Where is the 7.5% abv?

(D)- If you are a serious coffee drinker (like me), you will absolutely love this beer! I have no idea how long this was aged due to a lack of bottled date, but however long it was aged for made this a spectacular doppelbock !

4.49/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a darker brown with a small head at pour which disappates to around the rim of the glass. Unfiltered look - very - almost too much. No real lacing present. Aroma is sweet malts - brown sugar - with a strong backbone of coffee. Taste is great - coffee is a bit more forward - deeper roast along with a good dose of malt flavoring. Heavier. Great combintation.

4.49/5  rDev +20.4%

I saw this one at a local store and was intrigued by the idea of putting coffee in a dopplebock.

Pours a brown/redish color with very little head into my wine glass. Perhaps I should have poured it faster.

It smells very strongly of coffee. Wow, that it a strong coffee smell, and I'm not getting anythin else. This could be a cold cup of coffee for all I know.

The taste is great. As expected, the coffee taste is very strong and dominates the palate for almost the entire sip, but the taste of the "beer" shows up at the very last moment in the form of fairly mellow and mild malts. The finish is strong, and it leaves that coffee lingering in your mouth.

Great beer. I love coffee stouts, and this was a good adaptation of that idea, somewhat more drinkable and still delicious. I should start drinking this in the morning!

4.44/5  rDev +19%

12oz to footed ale glass, pours a heavy dark brown with golden hints, reminds me of the color of coffee, cream colored foamy head fades to lacing

smells of delicious coffee! bitter, sweet, lactose? oats? smells amazing!

taste is of coffee from the start, almost like drinking coffee, never have had a beer infused with coffee so well - roasty, bitter, alcohol, yeast hides in back, bitter hops, complex and delicious, balance leans toward coffee but the style hides behind nicely

mouthfeel is of a good weight, low carbonation, oily, amazing flavor - yum

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Interesting pour, leaving a nice layer of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. Very little head. The aroma is certainly unique. Coffee flavored raisins comes to mind, more specifically raisinettes. I'm curious if anyone else has noted this specific aroma before? Allowing time for warming....pause....Taste is coffee (go figure), raisins and chocolate. Interesting, interesting, interesting. Very easy to drink considering the abv and extremely unique experience. Props.

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a nice head to it out of a 12 oz. bottle.

Color is a dark, cloudy brown.

Smell is distinctively espresso, with hints of cinnamon.

Tastes very much like it smells, coffee coffee coffee. That in mind, you won't mistake this for a coffee stout, because unlike a coffee stout, the beer itself isn't very bitter, take away the coffee aspect of it. It's drinkable and very pleasant, almost like a chilled, carbonated espresso. The coffee really does hide the alcohol of the beer, although one can definitely tell it has a bit of a kick to it.

Mouthfeel is pleasant, being not too thick or too watery. It hits a very nice spot in between the two.

Drinkability is excellent. For those of you who enjoy coffee, this will be just your thing.

All in all, this is a pretty darn good beer. Try it sometime!

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into two white wine glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a cloudy, medium-roast coffee brown with the tiniest of off-white heads. Not too much in the lace department.

S: Coffee, brown sugar, roasted malt, and dark fruit.

T: See above. Also noted was spicy caramel, more roasted malt, tangy cherry, and more medium-roast coffee.

M: Slightly thin, with excellent coffee bitterness.

D: Extremely nice. I loved the mixture of coffee and doppelbock. Leave it to Dark Horse!

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Hazy deep chestnut hue with two fingers worth of antique ivory head and some good squiggles of lace.

S - Just what I'd expect from a coffee Doppelbock. Raisin is eschewed in favor of aromas of cafe amaretto, coffee (not espresso), and generally big maltiness. As it airs out, the coffee becomes more in-focus and a pleasant booziness eventually develops.

T - Taste is initially better than I expected, and is a standout in any case. Unfortunately the 'wow' factor subsides rather quickly. But then it comes roaring back again. Overall, I get malty impressions of coffee, toffee, roast, chocolate and dark fruit macerated in liqueur. As it develops, the chocolate nuance becomes as prevalent as the coffee.

M - Softly carbonated, albeit abundantly so.

D - Big thanks to BuckeyeNation for the hook-up. Coffee Doppelbock is theoretically one of the most promising and delicious emerging sub-styles, and this is perhaps a cornerstone example.

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Dark Horse on 11/28/08. Served in a shaker pint.

A - Very clear, dark brown body with burgundy and hazlenut highlights, no carbonation and a thin, off-white head that transformed into a patchy film. This looks pretty much like a glass of coffee.

S - Nice fresh coffee aroma with roasted malt and a bit of nuttiness. This brew definitely possesses more coffee than dopplebock qualities; however, the bock characteristics emerge more as it warmed up, with some mild dark fruit in the back.

T - Pleasant balance of fresh coffee with hints of sweet cream, chocolate and roasted malt up front, followed by a nutty character in the backend. Finish is a well-balanced blend of coffee and cream with a dose of earthy hop bitterness.

M - Medium body with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol is nowhere to be found for such a big, bold dopplebock. Finish is mildly bitter.

D - Drinks like a champ for an 8% dopplebock. The warmth of the alcohol is non-existent. The coffee character wins out in the end, making for an extremely smooth and drinkable dopplebock. One of the highlights of my recent Mid-west excursion.

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Large amount of carbonation in the head on the pour, dissipates quickly; very distinct coffee-caramel color.

S - Brewed coffee, hint of caramel sweetness.

T - Smooth, sweet coffee flavor, toffee on the finish.

M - Thin and light, with effervescence lending body.

O - Tasty and smooth, a refreshing coffee beer; a nice change from coffee porters and stouts. Probably great around a campfire.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

12oz. bottle with no freshness date but I know it's been cellaring in my basement for at least a year.

Served cool into a pint glass, Perkulator is an almost merky redish brown. I don't think it's disturbed sediment because this one has been sitting still for quite some time. The little bit that was in the bottom I left in there. The head is a creamy off-white color and long lasting.

Aroma is great and really hits the spot for a coffee lover. I'm a little surprised after it sitting for so long that the coffee hasn't faded altogether. The undertones of doppelbock are layered with coffee and chocolate. Very pleasant.

Flavor takes the aroma up one step higher. Big malty sweet backbone of the doppelbock is the perfect accompaniment to dark roasty bitter coffee. They seem to be in perfect balance with eachother. It makes me wonder why more breweries aren't experimenting more with coffee styles other than the obvious stout.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus in body with a nice low carbonation. It's far from flat but has just enough to perform. Very smooth and balanced.

Overall a great doppelbock and/or coffee beer. No matter how you look at it, if you like coffee and you like this style, you should love this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Many thanks to GordianKnot for the chance to taste this one. I'm always a sucker for a coffee beer. Plus, I'm hungover after a long fantasy draft from last night, so a coffee beer just sounds like maybe the only thing that will pick me up.

Poured from bottle into my DFH snifter. No date on the bottle. Pours a rich dark dark brown/black color. Nice off-white head fills the glass, decent retention to about 1 finger. Smell- iced coffee, tea leaves, some mocha notes in there. Its clear that this one is all about the coffee. Taste- roasty coffee notes, dark chocolate in the back of the throat. Perfect balance between the coffee flavors and the dopplebock flavors you would expect. Awesome carbonation here- its on the rich side in terms of carbonation, and it actually does wonders for this beer in making it a refreshing experience. Overall, I really like this one. I would seek out again- a good coffee beer is pretty valuable to me, and I don't get many good ones locally.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured into a mug, unfrosted of course.

A: Pours a mostly clear, dark reddish-brown color. Head was light tan and settled to about half a finger for the duration.

S: Lots of roasted malts and its namesake coffee. Small bit of chocolate poking through the mix as well. If I weren't certain this were a beer, I might mistake it for a mocha. Delicious though.

T: The very upfront coffee is quickly followed up by a pleasant malt sweetness. Light hints of toffee and caramel, but coffee is the overriding flavor. Bitter coffee aftertaste as well. I can only hazard that this brew was minimally hopped, but I'm fine with that.

M: Surprisingly medium mouthfeel. Pretty well constructed to go down smooth. Contained just enough carbonation to keep from lingering too long.

D: Seems quite drinkable, though I found it to be a rewarding sipping beer.

Admittedly, I do not have much experience in the realm of dopplebocks. The coffee flavor was certainly present, but by no means overwhelming, and I found this to be an odd, yet charming brew overall. However, if you dislike coffee-flavored beers, then this is probably not gonna be your thing. I bought a four-pack out of curiosity, and I'm pleased to say that I would definitely buy it again.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Label looks like a Slayer cover...with a touch of coffee...
Deep and murky looking mahogany tone with a slimming khaki colored capping that doesn't stick around long nor stick any lace to the glass. A thin collar ring remains and slippery lace tries to stay in place put slides right back down.

Nice aroma of cold spent coffee, quite black and burnt too, and some black malt sweetness sifts through as does a bit of vanilla and nuts.

Flavors are a lovely meld of all sorts of mildly set sweet and nutty malts with a smooth rounded in tone of clean coffee. Buttered bready centered with a hefty yet soothing whole grain taste with a nice breakfast pastry twist of nuts, vanilla, maple, cinnamon, and capped with a dallop of coffee ice cream. Super complexing nutty and light roasty finish, which I find incredibly yummy and smooth as the malts tie down a dryness that just barely pokes its coffeeish roasty fingers thru the glove of nutty sweet malts. Nice!

Body is fairly full and smooth with a silken creamy abode of nutty sweetness and bready undertone that squeezes in some excellent morning coffee hints as its malty slipperyness finds a chewy cascade across the cheeks and into the gullet. Near perfect length and tone to its flavor and tone the whole way thru and makes a unique and favorable late impression on the palate that keeps you wanting more. Much, much, more...

Yum! Really diggin' the nutty smoothness this creates within its coffee buttering. This is a keeper and I will call Perkulator the bigger brother to Furthermores' Oscura.

4.34/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a cola and ruby brown with practically no head or foam. Can't see any bubbling in this dark brew. Smells like when you just break open a Folgers tin and take a whiff. Plus the sweet, dark toasted malts and fruits add a little complexity to the nose. The taste starts with undeniable coffee. You then get some of that signature dopplebock malt character. Toasted and sweet with some woody plums. t to metion a toucof smokiness too. Is that from the coffee or malt??? Chewy sweet palate that is complex and different from the norm. A good beer to drink and think, contemplate, and enjoy.

Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock from Dark Horse Brewing Company