Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee DopplebockDark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock

good

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 10-18-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -66.4%

1.4/5  rDev -62.4%

P: 12oz bottle purchased from The Ale Jail in St. Paul. Chilled briefly and poured into snifter.

A: Deep, clear brown with red hues. 1/2 finger head rapidly drops to ring with small amount of lace when swirled. More brown than the red-brown I'd like to see in a doppel.

S: Strong beans. Some burnt coffee but almost smells more like raw kidney beans to me. That overwhelms all other smells to me. Hope it tastes better than it smells.

T: A blend of flavors similar to the smell hits me right away. A lot going on in here but for my pallet, none of it good. I taste something burnt, maybe some woodiness (not barrel aged though), maybe green treebranches (?) then some hot alcohol on aftertaste.

M: Too busy trying to scrape it off my tongue to get much mouthfeel. Light body, carbonation level is nice.

O: Probably one of the worst beers I've had in a while. I don't get coffee and I don't get doppelbock. Probably dumping this one after about 4 sips.

1.75/5  rDev -53%

1.78/5  rDev -52.2%

This is the worst coffee flavored beer I have ever had. It was over-carbonated. You could tell as soon as the cap came off. It produced a too large head. I love good rich, roasty coffee. The coffee flavor and aroma in this beer was like the stuff at the office that was bad coffee to begin with and then has been sitting on the warming pad too long. Was this awful flavor covering up a good malty doppelbock? Who could tell?

Horrible. I did not finish the bottle. Unfortunately I have another bottle that I bought at Woodman's in the $1 per bottle mix six-pack pile. Hopefully it is from a better batch.

2.13/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle This is an oddity int he doppelbock realm, not sure how it will work.

It pours very much like coffee, with a dark brownish/caramel hue with some slight hints of mahogany. The head disspiates quickly with no lacing.

Coffee dominates the smell, perhaps too much, the standard doppelbock scents are sadly overshadowed.

The flavor is kind of all over the place. coffee just doesn't work well with doppelbock. This beer is two sided, it ahs an extreme coffee bitterness, and an extreme sweet fruit character. There is no middleground, there is nothing to bind the two.

Dark Horse is one of my favorite brewers but this was a iserable failure.

2.2/5  rDev -40.9%

A: This poured a nearly opaque mahogany with fluffy light tan head.
S: It smelled like jalapeno peppers and tobacco ash, with a little coffee grounds and earthy nuts and rusty copper.
T: It tasted like jalapeno peppers and tobacco ash, with a little copper hops and nutty malt. It had a dirty aftertaste.
M: It was somewhat thick with a little carbonation. Ok body.
D: This was gross. Not sure if it was just a bad bottle or if this beer is always nasty. But I didn't like anything about the scent or taste or body. Tough to choke this down, might be a drain pour.

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

This is blasphemy. How can you call this a doppelbock when all I'm tasting is coffee syrup? Yeah, this ain't from Germany, but Dark Horse has taken a runny java dump on the Reinheitsgebot with this junk. My fault for not picking up on their extremely lame play-on-words with its name. Ha. Ha. I get it.

People seem to be treating certain styles a little too loosely these days - "black" IPA is another winner. Can't they just shoot off another branch on the already branchy tree of beer styles and just designate these brews otherwise?

(blah blah blah) Looks like a doppelbock in color. Congrats.

Smells like coffee. Tastes like coffee. Feels like a doppelbock infected with coffee - gave me some wicked gas like coffee.

This is not a doppelbock. Call it something else. Javabock? Konabock? I don't care. I'm all for creativity and trying new things. But uh-uh. FtS!

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

The appearance started off with me popping the cap, walking to get a glass, and when i returned a slight and slow rise of bubbles rising up from the bottle, like a very minor infection has started. This was just released again and these are new bottles so now i have to decide if i should drink them before it grows or let them grow and see what it does. haha. After i pored it into the glass it slowly settled into a still brown body that looks like flat coke. This is getting odd.
The aroma smells like a scorched perkulator! It smells like coffee that was burnt over and over for hours and then picked up the next morning while cold. Acrid paper, bleh.
Flavors are less acrid, the coffee notes are fuller and better tasting, there is more of a richness in here as the malts are able to provide a bit of backup.
The low carbonation is a bit, low. The mouthfeel is glassy, streaky.

I am going to leave the other ones sit in a warm place and see what happens, i have no worry of ruining these bottles.

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

Thin brown beer, virtually no head. Flimsy looking.

The smell of the beer brings me back to the very few memories I have of my Grandpa's mobile home. I was very young when we would visit, and it always smelled like old couch, cold coffee, scrambled eggs, and cigarettes. The remnants of breakfast. Odd memories don't always bode well for beer.
I don't mind, well, in fact I often enjoy, some coffee flavor in my beer. But this beer's structure is too light to handle it, and so it ends up tasting like a cold fermented cup of coffee. Not good cold-brewed coffee, but regular coffee that got cold. It comes complete with that low-quality coffee sour aftertaste.

I give credit to Dark Horse for their willingness to experiment, but this one just didn't work out.

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

A- This is crystal clear. Caramel crystal colored light cream soda colored. It however, also has a soda pop type carbonation. Coca cola head that fizzles and fades.

S- Smells like sweet fruity malt and a little hint of coffee.

T-Taste is pretty bad. The presence of the dark fruit raisiny dopplebock is there. But the coffee flavor... oh my. It is like when you have chewed up a coffee bean and it gives you that astringent coffee bean dry mouth and oily feeling all at the same time. It is disgusting with beer.

M-Soda pop. enough said.

O-Major letdown from these guys. I've had some pretty good offerings from them, but this one really let me down in a major way. I was really excited to try this too

2.38/5  rDev -36%

First had: on tap at Johnny Brenda's, Philly, PA

I only had a sample of this to see what it was, and it was...okay. I don't like coffee at all, although I can and do occasionally drink coffee-style brews (uh, beer that is), mostly in porter and stout form. I'm sure this would be worth a try to people who like this style. The bartender thought it was actually a porter, and though I suspected otherwise, I didn't place it as a doppelbock until I came home and looked it up.

I had a more proper tasting of this just recently on tap at the Trapp Door in Emmaus, PA. As above, I still recommend this beer for coffee-lovers...and ONLY for coffee-lovers. Pours clear, dark brown, with a thin, wispy head. Big aroma of coffee grounds, and not much else. Taste was almost pure coffee, almost like drinking a cold, thin cup of the stuff. There may have been some other subtle complexities present, but the coffee pretty much overwhelms everything. If that's your thing, then great, you'll love it. But it's not really my thing, so I didn't love it.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%