Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee DopplebockDark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock

good

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 10-18-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock Alström Bros

2.53/5  rDev -32%

Sampled on 6-17-08

Pours a very deep reddish brown, with a filmy off-white head and super thick lacing.

Smell is stale coffee, with just a little malty sweetness in the back.

Taste is alot like the smell, with grassy, stale coffee in the front. It continues into the middle, with a stale coffee bitterness to finish things up.

Mouthfeel much too thin to be a good doppel.

Drinkability is poor, the stale coffee flavor becomes gross after awhile.

Overall, not a good coffee beer, and not a good doppelbock.

2.55/5  rDev -31.5%

To be fair, this is the first coffee dopplebock I've had.

Poured into a pint glass with a great head, and the color was a gorgeous amber color.

Smell was like - wow - that's definitely coffee flavored!

The coffee flavor was an intense experience. I love good coffee, but this beer tasted like they used Sanka from 1985 for the blend. I was not a fan of the coffee, but I could taste that there was a good bock flavor trying its darndest to get out.

I only bought a single of this, and I have to say I wouldn't by another one if I had the chance. Dark Horse makes some excellent beers, though this one is definitely not for me.

2.6/5  rDev -30.1%

A - Hey, what happened to the evil bottle artwork? I used to wear Slayer T-shirts that looked a lot like that back in high school. The new label is a little less metal, and a little more new-school hipster, but I still like it. The beer itself is a nice dark brown color with red-russet highlights, and the head is a fluffy two fingers of deep beige foam. Thick sheets of foam slide down the sides of the glass. This is a decent looking beer.

S - Freshly ground french roast beans and that's about it. I like coffee ground aroma, but it comes at the expense of everything else. This doesn't smell a damn thing like a doppelbock, it just smells like really strong super-dark roast coffee. Which is darker French roast or Italian roast? This is like the darker of the two anyhow.

T - More beeriness comes out on the tongue. Where the nose was just straight coffee beans (not brewed coffee mind you... just ground coffee beans, and extremely potent ones at that ), this is sweeter and slightly more chocolaty. There are notes of dark baker's chocolate and bitter chicory. Interesting, but not all that great.

M - Medium bodied, slighlty sweet, and extremely bitter on the finish. A second after swallowing, I can feel a good deal of alcohol heat, and a nice "hot chocolate halved with espresso" flavor comes around. The aftertaste is oddly much, much better than the initial flavor!

D - Eh, not for me. I'm not gonna slam this one, because it's doing what it is intended to do and all of the flavors and aromas are authentic and well done. I probably wouldn't seek this out again. Oddly, I've never been able to find a coffee beer that I like despite that I drink so much espresso that I bleed black. I love coffee in all of it's incarnations, except beer. And I love beer in all of it's varioius presentations except when its with coffee. What's up with that?

2.68/5  rDev -28%

Purchased at Ray's Liquors in Wauwatosa, WI. Pours a very dark brown with a thin, white head that quickly fades to nothing. Metallic coffee aroma with strong coffee flavor from start to finish. Some sweet malt flavor is slightly detectable. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. This is basically a chilled coffee with alcohol. Good thing I like iced coffee, or this would get a worse review. Bonus points for having the most "metal" beer label I've ever seen. m/

2.68/5  rDev -28%

A: Orange toffeish. White head that cleared quickly. Slightly hazy from bottle conditioning.

S: black espresso. Extremely. Strong bitter coffee. Nuttiness.

T: really sweet with a sharp astringency followed by bitter coffee finish.

M: medium. Balance of sweet and dry.

O: not good. Coffee is too much of an after thought. Stringency is confusing as well. No good.

2.68/5  rDev -28%

Appearance:
Pours out a dark amber with an off-white foam ring that leaves no lacing.

Smell:
Huge nose of slightly sweet and bitter coffee. It kind of burns the nose a little. Hand me a cold coffee and I'd have a hard time telling the difference.

Taste:
Like coffee ice cream goes from creamy to coffee, this coffee beer goes from beer to coffee. There are slight hints of sweetness perhaps from malt but thats the only real trace of beer.

Mouthfeel:
Very smooth with almost no carbonation. Medium bodied very typical of a dopplebock.

Drinkability:
I typically like hints of coffee in beer and am also a fan of espresso. This is, however, in nearly all regards drinking a cup of coffee and I didn't particularly enjoy it as a replacement to beer.

Comment:
I could see a coffee junkie pulling this in for the night shift. Not bad, just not my favorite.

2.7/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. I must say from my experience, Dark Horse makes some great looking beers. This one pours a beautiful light hazy brown, which turns a hazy burnt orange in the light. This beer just glows. Has a big white fluffy head; lacing ok. Smells like Folgers.. coffee straight up. I was expecting the taste to be overpowering w/ coffee, it ended up being sharp, but mellow considering how strong it smells. There are strong hints of chocolate as well. The mouthfeel was over-carbonated and ended up being a problem; super fizzy. This one starts off strong, but my interest starts to fade a bit as I get into it.. one's good for me.

This beer has potential to be something special.. maybe if they rework it a little, they can have something unique. The carbonation really brought this beer down; too fizzy. Nonetheless, solid brew. If you're into bitter coffee, this one is still worth seeking out.

2.7/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It poured a cloudy brown/amber color with a thin, quickly dissipating head.

Smells strongly of sweet malt and coffee. I'd say maybe old coffee, not necessarily appealing.

Tastes a lot better than it smells. Smooth, sweet malt and a very strong coffee finish. There is also some sort of sour/creamy flavor in the finish that is faintly reminiscent of buttermilk.

Decent mouthfeel. Certainly more creamy and smooth than I would assume from looking at it.

Overall, can't see having more than a couple at a time. Not bad, but it uses the coffee flavor more as a novelty than as component to make a good beer.

(I had this once before on draught and enjoyed much more.)

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%

Aged for 12 months

A- pours a medium dark brown with a thin layer of foam that lingers

S- coffee all day. smells like there are grounds in the beer

T- similar to the 2011. Thin on flavor with heavy coffee on the finish

M- very thin and watery

O- I just tried the 2011 and not much has changed from 2010. i think aging this one only made it worse.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle served in a lager glass.
Pours clear copper-brown with a massive, foamy bone head. It took several pours and some patience to get the whole bottle into the glass.

Unappealing odor, characterized by wet earth, used coffee grinds and wet grains. Followed by a decent flavor with some swet and roasted malts and a good bit of coffee.

Feel: smooth medium body with a bubbly feel.

O: likely a contaminated bottle; 1st such ever from Dark Horse. Will re-review with another bottle from a different source.

Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock from Dark Horse Brewing Company