1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Plead The 5th Imperial Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Plead The 5th Imperial StoutPlead The 5th Imperial Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

2010 and pre: white label
2011: white label OR black label with black no logo cap
2012: black label with logo cap
2013: black label with logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner and new government warning

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 09-27-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,346 | Reviews: 733 | Show All Ratings:
lnashsig

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Many thanks to GordianKnot for the chance to taste this one. a 12% imp stout bottle, no bottle date. Poured from bottle into Brooklyn Tulip glass. Pours a pitch black syrupy appearance. Barely any head (what you would expect from a beer this big). Smell- rich roasty maple syrup. Maybe some vanilla bean, some subdued chocolate flavor. From appearance and smell, it appears this one might have some time on it (yay!). Taste- Different flavors from what I would have expected. A roasty sweetness up front, some liquorice, sweet chocolate, not much bitterness at all. There is a creaminess to the mouthfeel, very little carbonation. Overall for the style, I would have expected more of a roasty possibly dark chocolate presence. I got almost too much sweetness from this one, and it kind of bugged me. Overall good though.

09-16-2011 01:37:48 | More by lnashsig
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Not sure why this is marked as retired, I have a 12 oz bottle of this brew.

Pours with hardly any carbonation at all and absolutely no head. This beer is pitch black in color and quite viscous looking as I pour it. The aroma smells quite fruity with notes of burnt figs and burnt prunes. These are joined by notes of burnt grain, and roasted coffee as well as some subtle notes of boozy alcohol. I would have to say that rich, concentrated malt notes and chocolate dominate the aroma, it is not nearly as roasty as I was expecting.

The beer is pretty darn thick and viscous as it hits my tongue. It is also lightly sweet, which is accentuated by the complete lack of carbonation. Notes of dark chocolate up front compete with a roasted grain note in the finish. The beer has a certain smooth bitterness in the finish that is also contributed by the roasted malt. The roast note certainly reminds me of black coffee. Notes of fruit are also here with notes of burnt raisins and burnt concentrated plum. There is a bit of a chalky, slightly bitter chocolate note in the middle of this beer.

This beer is pretty nice, but I can't help but think that at least a slight level of carbonation would have made this beer quite a bit better (in both its aromatic and flavor qualities). In fact this beer would be approaching stellar if it was a bit carbonated.

02-24-2006 04:27:59 | More by Gueuzedude
ChadQuest

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Great looking, very great looking. the pour is thick and viscous like oil, and the head rises to the top in a chocolate milk color that is dense and sucks you in. captivating.

nose has light coffee and vanilla, which is also present on the tongue, but adds alot of roasty malts that balance perfectly with a chocolate sweetness where neither one is taking the other hostage. There is a pleasent amount of noticable alcohol in it, just enough to really add another pleasing element to the flavor.

This one is thick with little carbination, and a slightly quick finish for how viscious it is.

I gotta go get me some more of this.

06-11-2010 06:13:50 | More by ChadQuest
Onenote81

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

I'm able to try this thanks to the generous trader, enelson, for hooking me up with 3 bottles of this. Huge thanks!

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No freshness info. Pours a very thick, dirty motor oil-black. Glugs out very slowly. The pour yields the thinnest of lacy sheets. Dark mocha colored. No lace left behind after each sip. Nice robust nose here. Tones of chocolate, coffee, vinous grapes, a bit of alcohol that singes my sinuses just a smidge.

I expected this to be full bodied because of the pour, but it actually thins out some. The mouth has low carbonation, which I appreciate for the style, but it's not heavy or thick. Could stand a tweaking here. With a big beer like this, the body needs to match the heavy color and ABV. The flavors meld together well and make up for what's lacking in the body. Lots of bitter dark chocolate, cold coffee, almond, and the finish is hintingly tart. I like this. It's an easy sipper, dare I say gulper, since the body is more on the thin side. But, beware, the ABV is on the high side. Not bad at all.

10-15-2010 14:33:28 | More by Onenote81
RblWthACoz

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

I think at this point, I've had so many different really superb beers of this style that my expectations, and the overall standards, are quite high. This ris comes across as fairly one dimensional. Lots of molasses. More of a punch in the mouth than an interesting ride.

08-05-2012 22:41:39 | More by RblWthACoz
DarkerTheBetter

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to tytoanderso for the "Plead the 5th imperial stout," 12 oz bottle.

This beer pours a deep dark black with hints of purple and a dark tan collar.

Smells of dark fruits, baking cocoa, sour wheat, older coffee and dehydrated apricots.

Tastes of prunes, Wheaties, maple syrup, chocolate pudding and sour coffee for balance.

Felt big, thick and sticky with a light carbonation.

the sweet and sour dryness was an odd take on the style, but nice nonetheless.

04-24-2008 02:52:43 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks for this one Dave!

Well I thought to myself- "Yeah, I'll just have one brew before going to bed" and picked this one out of the fridge. Man, I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

After a straight-down-the-pipe pour into my DFH snifter, a very late forming film of mocha is formed which dissipates to nothing quickly. Even upon swirling, the film upon this black-as-night brew struggles to reappear. I wondered why- then I came on BA and saw the ABV. Uh oh....

Aromas of roasted and chocolate malt, sweet molasses, some alcohol and dark fruits come through (maybe some caramelized brown sugar). Much better as it warms up...

Flavor is pretty good here. Smooth, coating the mouth with flavors of roasted and chocolate malts and dark fruits . Some malt complexity challenges the tongue with just enough of a hint of alcohol to keep you wary of the ABV.

Carbonation level is appropriate, lending to a very smooth, viscous sipper. I don't know how drinkable you could expect a brew like this to be, but it's about what you would expect considering its style and ABV.

04-30-2009 03:53:51 | More by Ineedabeerhere
tewaris

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz. bottle, 2009 vintage, with just as bad artwork as other Dark Horse beers poured into a snifter.

Inky black with a tiny head that left even before it formed completely! A tiny dark dark brown ring persisted. Forgivable for a 12% ABV beer.

Aroma is sweet chocolate and vanilla; I would have thought this came out of barrels. Hint of alcohol. I like it.

Intense and delicious, bitter, sweet, roasty and chocolaty. Quite complex, but not over the top. Some acidity. Quite warming. I made the mistake of considering it ordinary once and I was wrong. Palate coating until it finishes with kiss of alcohol and kick of roast. Only downside is that it still feels rough and not-well-integrated.

The mouthfeel of this beer, however, is not up to the taste. Hell no! Thin and harsh instead of being silky, this beer could be in BCS territory with its taste it has but its body seems short of supporting it. Overall very good in spite of a few shortcomings here and there.

06-28-2011 08:15:29 | More by tewaris
CrellMoset

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottle from dkachur, who got it in a trade - thanks Dan! Poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Thick, black, like motor oil. No head, but very thin and runny bubbly, tan lacing.

Aroma: Lots of roasted malts - coffee and chocolate, of course - and some earthy, woody aromas. Fruity esters, too - not dark, either, but light, like tannins.

Taste: Very interesting. It's like a tart RIS, but it's not tart - it's just balanced. Lots of those light fruity esters balance a heavily roasted malt backbone - perhaps its citrus hops. Either way, it's unique, and surprisingly refreshing for an RIS.

Mouthfeel: Velvety and even, full bodied, with minimal carbonation. What is there is medium-sized, though.

Drinkability: The tartness/fruity esters keep it light and drinkable, which is good, because otherwise this one might knock you on your butt. It's very balanced, though - recommended.

08-01-2008 03:41:24 | More by CrellMoset
tempest

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

On-tap at Liberty St for $5/pint. Appeared pitch black with a brown cascading head. Damn, this is rich stout. Still, it wasn't cloying or too thick to have more than a few ounces like DFH World Wide Stout. It has a big chocolate cake taste that reminds me of 3F Dark Lord - though smoother and not quite as complex. This beer might benefit from a little more cellaring, it's just not as flavorful as the great imperial stouts. Still, it's fairly drinkable for the style and makes for a good dessert beer. Vanilla ice cream anyone?

03-28-2010 20:49:55 | More by tempest
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours an oil sticky thick syrup with a very dark tan head.

Smell of oaky, charred remains of a bourbon barrel. I had to stop and question if this had any barrel aging, which as far as I am aware, it does not. Easily comparable to Ten Fidy in aroma with the sweetness that comes out.

Taste of a slightly boozy , sweet imperial russian stout. There are tons of charred remains in here after the sweetness settles. You can rub your tongue against the top of your mouth and feel the chalky feeling you get from ashes if one were to taste ashes... There is a lot of sweetness, a definite hop presence that brings the ash flavor down a notch, but I can never get over that ashy burnt aftertaste. This is a very tasty beer, but I would remove some of that black patent. Chocolate does it for me, and while this is tasty, I would rather have a RIS that has less char broiled coal characteristics in it.

Very low carbonation with an ashy mouthfeel.

01-07-2011 00:40:19 | More by alpinebryant
Thurgoft

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter into two 6 oz portions. No freshness date to be found.

Pours a very, very dark, opaque brown with a loose mocha head that dissipates pretty quickly. Almost no light penetrates this brew. Nose is pretty hoppy for a stout with a prominent alcohol almost solventy smell up front. After a couple more deep whiffs I get a bit of semi sweet chocolate and a bit of roastiness. Taste is smooth with light roast and chocolate but also some subdued hop flavor in the mix. Loooong bitter finish with a bit of heat from the alcohol. Can taste a bit of the solventy-alcohol that I picked up so much on the nose but not too much. Smooth on the tongue with just a little carbonation but actually sort of light mouth feel for a stout let alone an 11% stout. That being said, it is very easy to drink. Second time having this beer, and I enjoyed the first more than this one. Just had a Founder's Imperial Stout last night and this particular bottle did not even come close (perhaps that's influencing my review?). Gonna try to cellar my other bottle for half a year to see if it mellows out a bit. Pretty good beer, but not in a hurry to pick it up again.

04-01-2013 07:09:04 | More by Thurgoft
StoutHunter

3.76/5  rDev -12.6%

I bought a bottle of Plead The 5th Imperial Stout from Dark Horse last month for $3.49 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while since I have tried one through fore of their stout series. But Plead the 5th always seemed to elude me and I was pretty sure I missed out on it this year, till I heard that The Lager Mill got a late shipment in a month ago and had a one bottle limit, I quickly drove over there and got my one bottle, so let's see what this beer is all about. No visible bottling date, but I know it's a 2011 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it doesn't stick out that much and it isn't the best looking, but it combines all the labels from the other four stouts and I think that's pretty cool. It poured a thick and dark motor oil black color as I would expect from an RIS of this size. It had a finger and a half of nice looking dark brown head that died down to a very thin ring.

S- The malts dominate the aroma of this beer. The weird thing about the aroma is that I really don't get much roast from the malts, in fact I hardly get any, just a faint mix of coffee and chocolate. The main player here is the dark fruits, and there sure is a lot of them, there is so much of them that it has an aroma similar to a Wee Heavy or an unhoppy Barley Wine. Plums and figs seem to stick out the most but there is also some raisins and prunes. The sweetness smelled like it was on the high side of medium and there was a pretty evident aroma of booze. Very odd aroma for an RIS, I expect the roast to shine, not the dark fruits.

T- Wow this is one sweet RIS, I don't think I have had one this sweet before. It starts off with with a quick glimpse into some dark chocolate and bitter black coffee, but it isn't that bold and it quickly fades. After that I get a real intense blast of sweet dark fruits that seems to be the most dominating flavor and is just too sweet for me. All the dark fruits that I picked up in the aroma are present in the taste with prunes and plums sticking out the most. The finish is a mix of medium bitterness along with a big dose of sweetness and an equally large amount of alcohol that makes for a pretty harsh finish and a slight roasty aftertaste.

M- Creamy, cloying and on the medium side of being full bodied, pretty much how it should be except for it being cloying. It had a light amount of carbonation, as this style should, it was nice.

That was my original review, people have told me since that I must have got a bad bottle since that isn't how this beer normally is, so I made sure to grab a bottle of the 2013 release to give it a second a chance. The appearance is pretty damn nice, it's a little better than the 4 I gave it, the head and lacing were nice. The aroma was much more roasted then the first bottle I had, it had more RIS aromas and light amount of dark fruits, its like the opposite of the first bottle I had, but the biggest problem is the harsh alcohol aromas that remind of of cheap vodka, the aroma is better than the 2.5 i first gave it, but it's not much better. The taste is better and more RIS like it, it had a nice roast to it, the alcohol was hidden ok, it wasn't harsh but it was pretty warming, better than the 3 I first gave it, it taste like a good RIS. The mouthfeel was better than the 3 I first gave it, it was pretty true to style. I must have had a bad bottle because this one is much different and much more RIS like. The drinkability isn't the best I don't think I would want another one. This was a solid RIS, but not a favorite Founders Imperial Stout is still my number one. A good RIS, that I recommend try, but I don't think it worth the trouble of seeking out.

07-25-2011 03:57:01 | More by StoutHunter
abedenbaugh

South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

I happened to get the chance to try this beer in the 12oz bottles.

A: The color is vry dark and there was a little bit of film that was on the top. Practically no head on top.
S: Roasty aroma. A little bit of sweetness. Overall the aroma is a little on the light and mild side.
T: Very neutral flavors in the front of the palate. Then in the mid-palate the flavor really pops out with a full amount of roast, which stays until the end. Also there is a hing of an oaky/woodsy flavor. Some hints of coffee.
MF:Medium mouth fell. medium carbonation.
D: I like how the flavor developes of the course of drinking the beer. It is nice and drinkable, but it isn't anything really great.

09-30-2008 18:58:29 | More by abedenbaugh
youradhere

Arkansas

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Re-reviewed on 2/17/11. 2009 vintage received in a trade.

Pours black with no head, no lacing. Initially head started to form, but it quickly fell. Smells of oak, booze, char, coffee. Tastes of anise, alcohol, chocolate and toasty char. High carbonation, light-ish mouthfeel for the style. Not as good as I remember, maybe this stuff goes through an ackward stage in it's life.

5/19/2010
The unassuming little bottle pours out a thick black concoction with a brownish tan head that falls rather quickly, leaving moderate lace behind. Copious amounts of yeast sediment remain in the bottle, this could either be good or bad depending upon how the yeast reflects in the glass. Smell is dark coffee and not much else, possibly some slight caramel in the back. First taste has this malt forward brew brining the malt bitterness of black patent roasted malt, followed by a subdued sweetness and an even more subdued smokiness which is a nice surprise. Yeast is barely detectable in this cornucopia of flavors, all jockeying for my attention; this is so much that it takes me a quarter of a glass before I even find the alcohol (12%), and even then it is perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel of this beer is something somewhat of perfection- it keeps the malt char, sweetness and smokiness all in line and playing beautifully with eachother on my palate. The carbonation is perfect, and I can see now why there was so much yeast sediment- as to even reach this modicum of CO2 a damn near entire yeast starter slurry is needed to survive the flavor and alcohol. Very drinkable, I wish I had more of it here in the PNW.

02-18-2011 03:54:41 | More by youradhere
xpimptastikx

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dark and viscous with a thick sheet of chocolate head. Cocoa, tobacco, and light alcohol make up the nose.Taste is more of the nose with a long charred tobacco finish and noticeable alcohol. A near perfect thick and creamy body still make this beer enjoyable.

12-30-2011 01:28:30 | More by xpimptastikx
hplascencia1024

3.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle into a snifter

A: Pitch black with no head whatsoever

S: nice dark chocolate, roasty notes, caramel, nice sweetness

T: dark chocolate, slight coffee, heavy roast, slight alcohol burn

M: very light, nice carbonation, I would like it to be thicker(just my preference for the style)

O:A very good stout, but there are a ton of better stouts out there. not disappointing but not world class IMHO

04-08-2014 04:40:55 | More by hplascencia1024
dc55110

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a dark black, with very little head... but tons of lacing. This stout is pitch black, held up to a light, none makes it through.

The smell is of dark rich dried fruit, figs, prune, raisin. There is also hints of bitter sweet chocolate, molasses, roasted coffee. In the background there is the presence of alcohol.

Rather sweet; the bitter sweet chocolate and dried fruit follow through from the nose. Coffee and alcohol are on the finish.

For as dark as this stout is, it is on the thin side. It doesn't give you that velvety feel as it goes down. Leaves a slightly chalky after taste/feeling in my mouth after the finish.

A nice stout, I'd be very curious to compare to the barrel aged version. I'll continue to pick this up every year upon its release.

07-24-2011 01:42:19 | More by dc55110
haazer

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 bottle picked up at capones about 2 months ago.

A- A very thick cocoa puff milk forms atop the brew. Very bubbly, effervescent. The brew is the darkest brown/partially black in color, and opaque. Evident carbonation.

S- First initial whiff yields dark fruits. Once taken in, this is quite a nose. Deep roasted malts, molasses, brown sugar, rich toffee, a touch of syrup, and a little chocolate. You can detect some booze but not overwhelming. The dark fruits are still present in each sniff.

T- The dark fruits are the most present flavor. I wanna say plums and raisins, and some black cherry too. Midway into the flavor I got the slightest bit of vanilla chocolate blend. The aftertaste is a barrage of roasted malts, and the slightest bitterness. The booze is not detected in flavor at all.

M- I've read in other reviews that this is "buttery", and you can pick that up from the mouthfeel. This is very smooth and easy drinking. The carbonation is hardly felt, and the body is light to medium bodied, but right in the middle of that. This is probably the lightest bodied RIS I've had.

O- This is a good RIS. Everything fell short compaired to the nose on this though. The tastes were not as pronounced, and the mouth was too light as a stout for my liking. But the masking of the booze and easy drinking nature make this beer above average.

09-15-2011 03:09:31 | More by haazer
samie85

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours an inky black with a full finger of dark brown head that quickly dissipates.

S-Smells of banana bread, some dark fruit, and a bit of roasted and chocolate malts.

T-Very sweet and rich chocolate on the front end with dark and bitter chocolate one the finish with a slight, clean bitterness.

M-Medium bodied with low carbonation and a slight bit of warmth in the mouth and throat.

D-This one is almost too easy drinking considering the body and ABV; the alcohol is barely present in the warmth I described in the mouthfeel and I'm used to a heavier feel with bigger beers. I want to like it, but I yearn for a some more complexity in flavors and a richer mouthfeel.

09-16-2011 02:58:45 | More by samie85
kdahnke123

Indiana

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2013 Vintage poured in snifter.
A - Very dark pour with a small amount of dark brown, quickly dissipating head.
S - Dark roast smell. Medium coffee smell with overtones of red wine.
T - Medium-heavy coffee. Rich, full flavor. A little on the heavy roasted side with a light amount of hops.
M - Medium viscosity with a good mouth coating quality.
O - Overall a good stout, especially if you like the coffee variety.

02-14-2014 22:03:28 | More by kdahnke123
Adamdc

3.7/5  rDev -14%

12 oz bottle poured into nonic pint glass.

A: Jet black body topped by 1/4 inch head of dark brown foam. Beer seems to 'glug' out of bottle--very thick.

S: Molasses, dark fruit, caramel, malt and some alcohol.

T: Bitter chocolate, coffee, malt, some bitterness and it's pretty hot, possibly a little too hot.

M: Mouthfeel is very full-bodied and heavy just how an RIS should be.

D: Not too high only because of the 'heat'.

This is a pretty solid RIS. It's my first brew by Dark Horse and I'm looking forward to trying some others.

05-01-2010 02:11:25 | More by Adamdc
biglite351

3.7/5  rDev -14%

A - black as tar, tall dark thick head.

S - heavy dark roasted malts, raisins, chocolate, not bitter but very inviting.

T - heavy deep roasted malts, raisins and a bit of sweet chocolate.

M - thick but not much tingle in the mouth. Burn in the throat from the alcohol.

D - the heaviness of the flavor and feel, plus the brim from the alcohol make this a short drinker.

10-17-2010 23:01:40 | More by biglite351
scottfrie

3.7/5  rDev -14%

12oz bottle into AVBC snifter. Received from a generous trader many many months ago.

A: Pours motor oil black with about a finger of short lived dark brown head that quickly faded into a thin collar leaving no lace.
S: Rich dark notes of chocolate, roasted malt, and a touch of spicy alcohol. I'm also getting a subtle yet strange notes of some kind of mint and maybe a hint of metal.
T: Follows the nose with a rich roasted dark malt taste. Very smooth. I get notes of caramel, dark and milk chocolate, coffee with cream, a hint of molasses and sweet dark fruit. Roasted but fairly sweet all around. Finish is lightly bitter (chocolate bitterness) and the aftertaste has flavors of tobacco.
M: Low yet tingly carbonation with an airy mouthfeel and full body. For 12%, the alcohol is noticeable but not really warm or overpowering. Overall a little sharp around the edges.
O: A fairly solid stout all around. Full mouth, great flavor. Not the greatest though, and perhaps a little rough around the edges, but I would definitely have another one of these again.

05-08-2011 02:37:47 | More by scottfrie
match1112

3.7/5  rDev -14%

a: pours thick and black like ink. half finger of mocha colored head doesnt stick around long.

s: alochol, dark fruit, chocolate, roasted malt.

t: alochol, dark fruit, alochol, chocolate, alochol.

m: thick and creamy. decent carbonation. alochol burn.

o: not very well blended, alochol dominates everything about this beer. have had better ris that were better blended and more enjoyable.

04-09-2012 01:56:34 | More by match1112