Plead The 5th Imperial Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 09-27-2008

2010 and pre: white label
2011: white label OR black label with black no logo cap
2012: black label with logo cap
2013: black label with logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner and new government warning
2014 - white label with black logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner, government warning on bottom right side of label
Reviews: 822 | Hads: 3,496
4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into over-sized wine glass.

Pours coal black with a thin head the dissipates to a fine mocha ring. Lacing dissolves quickly.

The nose is a bit lacking. Expected big chocolate malts and espresso, but they were faint to the nose. Suggestions of smoke and dark cherry liquor. Alcohol is certainly detectible at 11% ABV.

Taste - immediately roasted chocolate and bitter coffee (in a good way). Smokiness and light bitterness throughout the tongue. Dark, roasted malts, and cherry/brandy-type liquor.

Mouthfeel is good, decent carbonation. Well balanced throughout the tongue.

Was excited to try this beer, since it's so highly rated on B.A. A great stout, but not the best. But, maybe the expectation let me down slightly. Would still drink it again, tough. (766 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dark and viscous with a thick sheet of chocolate head. Cocoa, tobacco, and light alcohol make up the nose.Taste is more of the nose with a long charred tobacco finish and noticeable alcohol. A near perfect thick and creamy body still make this beer enjoyable. (259 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

A_ Pours black with a small burgundy color head that dissipates quickly. Very little lacing.

S_ Lots of dark fruits and dark chocolate. You also pick up on the booze. Very fruity though more so than most other RIPs.

T_Tastes great. Dark fruits and chocolate mix together perfectly to give this a nice rich taste.I can also taste coffee in the after taste that gives it a nice bitter finish.A little alcohol burn too.

M_ Thick and full bodied. Goes down pretty smooth and coats the mouth nicely.

D_ The high ABV limits the drinkability but these go down very easy. Could enjoy a couple in sitting but I think these are best savored. Besides two of these and just about anything will taste good

MaCain likey (710 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a dark black, very thick pour with a paper thin mocha head. Aroma of roasted malts, dark chocolate and a vanilla oaky note. I had to check to make sure this wasn't the bourbon barrel version because it has hints of bourbon. Taste follows the nose, so delicious, heavy but delicious. The nose is intensified with the taste. Mouthfeel is very thick but in a great way. This is a wonderful stout, I will be seeking out this beer! (432 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle poured into a a New Glarus taster glass and enjoyed side by side with the BB version.

Appearance: Black pour with a nice mocha rim to it that bubbles. Bits of lacing.

Smell: Burnt malts, rich brown sugar, and chocolate are all very distinguishable. Smells rich.

Taste: Lots of chocolate which makes for a sweet flavor on the palate. The sweetness is paired with dark roasted malts and some booze heat to not make it overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, alcohol doesn't burn too much, and little carbonation.

Overall: Maybe a tad on the sweet side for some palates. Lives up to the reputation and great to have alongside the BB version to see what that did to the base beer. (698 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%

A: inky black pour, line of lacing indicating level of first pour, no head otherwise.

S: caramel and bitter chocolate evident, hints of coffee and oats.

T: heavy chocolate forefront, smooth accenting hints of caramel and coffee as the liquid settles in the mouth.

MF/D: light tingling sensations with each sip, increasing boozyness as it warms. could've/should've cellared longer. (383 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Darkest of dark, looks like used motor oil but in a good way. little to no head on the beer.

S: Sweet roast smell, one of the best smelling RIS's I have had

T: Just as it smells, very sweet with the roasted malt finish. As with most RIS's, this gets better as it warms

M: Nicely carbonated and thick in your mouth, just as it should for this style

O: This is one of my favorite RIS's, it pushes the limits of the style but in a very good way. It is hard to tell this is 11% abv (484 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I don't feel like following a format today so: This beer is awesome. Pours with a short dark brown head. Not quite as thick as a yeti or ten fidy. Mouthfeel is spot on, creamy with medium carbonation. Everything is balanced, none of the flavors are too much. Slight alcohol heat but not a predominate taste. Dark chocolates with just a hint of burnt coffee. Amazing stuff, get some if you can. (393 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - dark oil pour, rich caramel head, and great lacing!

Smell - roasted chocolate caramel with a barrel aged smell that is great.

Taste - rich frothy chocolate boozy greatness.

Mouthfeel - frothy smooth delicious feel

Overall - wow I am glad I got this beer in a trade. Such a great beer. Imperial stout done right! (328 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.7%

A. Solid look and nice 1/4 inch tan head

S. Amazing, I cant convince myself that this isn't BA, it must be the strong alcohol presence. Booze at first and then some coffee and then alcohol then a bit of roasted malts and then way more booze, LOVE IT!!!

T. Alcohol up front and very present, then coffee and maybe a hint of chocolate, the presence of booze is amazing hits you first and last. I love this beer!!!

M. A bit thin for me but not bad 3.5

O. I love it, great taste, a smell that I seriously put my nose to the glass until the last sip. I love this beer so glad I got one in, ISO: again for sure. (611 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

12 ounce received in trade with hophobo, thanks. Poured into a chalice.

A - Pours black. No head. No lacing.

S - Chocolate and roasted.

T - Roasted malt and chocolate, coffee.

M - Very smooth, creamy, full body.

D - two or three of these would be wonderful. (262 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet. I am unsure of the vintage on this one.

This beer is an oily black liquid with a very thin mocha color. It coats the sides of my glass.

The nose is burnt sugars, dark malt, coffee, alcohol, dark dried stone fruits like prunes, some raisins as well. I'm also picking up on some black licorice and molasses.

The first sip follows the nose and is very rich with burnt malts, coffee, there's a lot of alcohol warmth as well. The licorice I picked up in the nose is coming through again along with a bit of smoke as it warms and follows through the finish.

The mouthfeel is full and somewhat slick with low carbonation.

An excellent RIS from a great brewery that doesn't get a lot of hype. This is just what I needed on this chilly fall night. I just wish I could find more around Chicago. (830 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -18.8%

Received as an extra from Beerness. Cheers, Charlie.

Poured into my Coronado snifter.

Pours a sludge-like black with a burnt brown head that sits 2" off the top. Extremely thick lacing is left from this. You can't pick up the slightest glimpse of light through this. This should really become a world wide definition for what a dark/thick beer is. A promising start.

Smells of robust coffee, dark chocolate syrup, roasted malts, and a ton of booze. Tingles the nose a bit.

Taste is a little harsh. The booze is just too much for me. I love the burnt coffee notes and the mouth coating chocolate syrup, but the booze drowns them out. Very hot beer.

I took the hot booziness out of consideration for the mouthfeel. If I were to consider the hot burn from this brew, it'd probably be in the 1.5-2 range. I love a thick, creamy stout, and that's exactly what this is. Mouth coating and almost chewy.

Overall, this was good. Not something I'd seek out, but if one lands on my doorstep again, I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm very happy I got to try this. I am actually very curious how the BA version would be. (1,113 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Not many beers pour as dark and thick -- beautiful from my perspective. The first taste is good, but some unusual flavors are present which caused me to ponder if I was going to like it. After a sip or two, the taste buds get acclimated and the unusual flavors recede into the background. Overall I'm still left with a bitterness which I don't care for. I don't think it's a coffee bitterness ... seems like the hops are shouting out. (434 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass this beer pours a rich foamy chocolate head with a dark black body. Smell is of chocolate and coffee with a large amount of malt and dried fruit. Taste is chocolate with tons of malt and dried fruit, not overly sweet but more earthy hops bitter & malt sweetness on the back end with a sharp tongue coating entrance. (342 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours super thick and black with just a bit of dark brown foam on top, looks like it is flat.

S - Big smell of coffee, roasted malts, molasses, dark fruits, and booze. Good stuff.

T - A lot of dark roasted malts, coffee, and molasses, but the booze being there but not as strong as the smell was.

M - Great full body, rich and thick mouthfeel, a lot of chewiness and just slight carbonation.

D - This is a good stout for sure, good balance of flavors and probably my favorite beer from Dark Horse so far. (539 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Big thanks to pest for this one.

A - Pours a thick dark coffee/black color with a thin tan head. The head disappears quickly leaving some good lacing.

S - Molasses, nougat, hints of caramel and dark chocolate. Also some fig and raisin in there with a very small hint of licorice.

T - Just like the aroma with molasses and some bitter flavors in there too. Some dark chocolate (very small) and dark fruits in there too.

M - Mildly carbonated with some bitterness.

O - A very good stout. Would definitely recommend this one. (532 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a pitch black in to a tulip glass. the mocha head to this one is very faint and appears shortly after all the beer has left the bottle .

smell - its not the most impressive thing about this beer. I have to literally put my nose in this one to get the smell of this. I get fig, dark chocolate, vanilla, and some oak.

taste - thick dark chocolate stands out the most to me here. Although the taste tends to change with each sip. The oak is present as well as a little fig, but man O man does the chocolate shine in this one. It laces the throats and leaves a thick chocolate coat in the after taste. I get a little coffee but not much.

Overall - I am thoroughly happy with this one and can't say enough about how much the chocolate throat coating stands out to me. I shall have this one again! (800 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Since I have had about a dozen of these and sent out tons as extras I suppose I should finally review it.

Poured from a 12oz into a Darkness tulip.

Pours black as night with a beautiful brown 2 finger head.

Smells great as well. Lots of chocolate and a little coffee.

Taste is on par with the best IS that I have tasted. Hands down the best stout I have tasted out of a 12oz serving. I will buy a case of this next time it is released.

Mouthfeel is nice as well. Medium weight and the chocolate resin sticks to your mouth in a way to stay for a long time and not be offensive.

Drinkability is high as this is one of the best off the shelf easy to get IS I have had. (671 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Received in recent trade with Davesway10, thanks Dave.

Poured in to Gulden Draak tulip, reviewing in real time.

A: Pours like chocolate milk. Pitch black with dark brown head. I cant wait to dive in, this is what imperial stouts should look like.

S: caught a whiff when i popped the bottle, I can tell this one is going to be nice. Roasted malts, chocolate, slight bit of booze.

T: Roasty, Dark chocolate, malts do their thing start to finish. Bit of dark fruits as I have more of it.

M: Very balanced for how it smells and looks. Smooth as hell. Looks huge, tastes smooth.

D: Not getting any booze....wait, ok there it is. You dont feel it at first but, and I probably shouldn't but I'm definitely having more of this one. Not feeling the booze until after you finish it but me likey.

I loved Double Crooked Tree, and love this one too. Tastes like a combo between Imperial Stout and milk stout. Seek it out, definitely one of the best imperial stouts IMO. (965 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

snifter at the brewery, followed by a growler at home.

A- Black, no light seeping thru..anywhere, this even pours thick and syrupy. Dark head that fades after a few minutes. Laces up the sides and just...sticks to the glass.

S- Dark roasted malts, chocolate, hints of plums and other dark fruits, some noticeable alcohol.

T- My oh my, chocolates, dark roast, right up front and very balanced. Some dark fruits in the middle that linger, and not a sweet type fruit. Finish is kinda of dry with a slight alcohol burn.

M- The best, very thick, and syrupy, sticky, it gets stuck in the cracks of your teeth. chewy and lingering.

O- At the moment its one of the best RIS ive had the pleasure of drinking. Hope I can find it in bottles somewhere to add to my shelf. I highly recommend this to everyone (800 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

this one continues to be one of my top 10 favorite imperial stouts. i love dark horse. they never cease to amaze me. like extascy in a glass. this brew will stain your glass. motor oil, just the way i love it. smoky molasses and clean as cream. thick and rich with a sort of silky, milky feel. and affordable! this is one of the few stouts i do enjoy a little colder. it's either because of the highly roasted smell or just because it works with the milky, creamy character. at 12% be careful. This beer is my happy place. if i ever get raped, this is where im going to go. cheers! (581 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz bottle of "Plead the 5th".

Appearance - Black with a tan head, and a nice ring of lacing.

Smell - A nice mix of milk chocolate, coffee, hint of dark fruit, and burnt marshmallows.

Taste - A blast of chocolate, old black coffee, brown sugar, smoke, and burnt toast. Finishes with some mildly bitter piney hops and booze.

Mouth feel - Lightly carbonated and coating.

Drinkability - Incredible. My new favorite stout! IMO similar to Surly Darkness and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Definitely recommended! (517 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Dark as night, with a small but super creamy head that leaves very nice lacing. Looks delicious.

S - Smells quite a bit like coffee, the malts are really powerful in this one. Fruits such as dates, rasins, and figs dominate the nose as well. Also a hint of brown sugar.

T - Rich dark malts, chalky coffee and chocolate. Some of those aforementioned dark fruits and a hit of something savory like soy or roasted nuts.

M - Smooth and creamy. Medium body and leaves a pleasant coating of sweetness in the mouth.

D - Way, way too easy to drink for 12%. The lack of any additional kinds of gimmicks (flavoring, barrel aging) make this one of my favorite strong stouts. (671 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

The beer pours like motor oil, only a deep impenetrable black color leaving only a rumor of a head around the edges of the glass. The aroma is rich, roasty, and malty with a lot of coffee and some bourbon boozy notes with some deep chocolate of both the sweet and bitter variety. The flavor is again very rich with (again) both sweet and bitter chocolate notes. The beer is not nearly as sweet as most of this strength or viscosity. There are plenty of coffee and boozy tones in this one as well. The palate is profoundly full and sticky. Delicious. (549 characters)

Plead The 5th Imperial Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company