Plead The 5th Imperial Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 09-27-2008

2010 and pre: white label
2011: white label OR black label with black no logo cap
2012: black label with logo cap
2013: black label with logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner and new government warning

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into a new snifter. My parents got me this bottle for Christmas, thanks!

A - very good looking beer. Forced pour produces little head, foam starts dark brown like an RIS, but lightens as it settles. Bubbles swirl on the surface, making it look alive.

S - phew, not good. I don't know if it's my glass, but it smells sour, almost like a Belgian dark. Not what I expected and totally unpleasant. I can't even stand taking my customary deep whiff.

T - good, creamier than I expected, though my initial expectations were kind of rocked by the odor. I like the milky flavor working with the malts to cover up the alcohol (which is undetectable even at 12%). Not a great big slap in the face like most specialty double stouts from Michigan breweries.

M - the consistency is really interesting because of the aforementioned milky flavor. It's a smooth drink to be sure, and the alcohol is clandestine in a very dangerous way. If this bottle's smell is a fluke, I could drink more than one of these in a sitting.

O - I'd love to try this on tap, but another bottle may be out of the question, assuming it's not my glass making it smell like this. Dark Horse is a great company regardless, I love the sheer variety of stouts they produce.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured Plead the 5th Imperial Stout into a snifter.

A - The imperial stout poured aggressively into the snifter, it is black as midnight with a bubble or two coming to the surface, classic stout looking beer.

S - Lots of dark fruits, raisins, figs, dark cherries. Getting roasted malts with a touch of bourbon; however, this one is not the barrel aged version. Gonna love this one I can tell.

T - The taste is incredible, almost like the smell. Did I get the barrel aged one by their mistake. Wow, this is very smooth and tasty. This might be the best Imperial Stout I've had ever, its just that good.

M - Thick as hell, molasses comes to mind. Heavy mouthfeel, little carbonation, but very good for the style. Yummy

O - Blown away, very nice beer, Highly Recommended Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -13%