Plead The 5th Imperial Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

2010 and pre: white label
2011: white label OR black label with black no logo cap
2012: black label with logo cap
2013: black label with logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner and new government warning

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 09-27-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
StoutHunter

3.76/5  rDev -12.6%

I bought a bottle of Plead The 5th Imperial Stout from Dark Horse last month for $3.49 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while since I have tried one through fore of their stout series. But Plead the 5th always seemed to elude me and I was pretty sure I missed out on it this year, till I heard that The Lager Mill got a late shipment in a month ago and had a one bottle limit, I quickly drove over there and got my one bottle, so let's see what this beer is all about. No visible bottling date, but I know it's a 2011 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it doesn't stick out that much and it isn't the best looking, but it combines all the labels from the other four stouts and I think that's pretty cool. It poured a thick and dark motor oil black color as I would expect from an RIS of this size. It had a finger and a half of nice looking dark brown head that died down to a very thin ring.

S- The malts dominate the aroma of this beer. The weird thing about the aroma is that I really don't get much roast from the malts, in fact I hardly get any, just a faint mix of coffee and chocolate. The main player here is the dark fruits, and there sure is a lot of them, there is so much of them that it has an aroma similar to a Wee Heavy or an unhoppy Barley Wine. Plums and figs seem to stick out the most but there is also some raisins and prunes. The sweetness smelled like it was on the high side of medium and there was a pretty evident aroma of booze. Very odd aroma for an RIS, I expect the roast to shine, not the dark fruits.

T- Wow this is one sweet RIS, I don't think I have had one this sweet before. It starts off with with a quick glimpse into some dark chocolate and bitter black coffee, but it isn't that bold and it quickly fades. After that I get a real intense blast of sweet dark fruits that seems to be the most dominating flavor and is just too sweet for me. All the dark fruits that I picked up in the aroma are present in the taste with prunes and plums sticking out the most. The finish is a mix of medium bitterness along with a big dose of sweetness and an equally large amount of alcohol that makes for a pretty harsh finish and a slight roasty aftertaste.

M- Creamy, cloying and on the medium side of being full bodied, pretty much how it should be except for it being cloying. It had a light amount of carbonation, as this style should, it was nice.

That was my original review, people have told me since that I must have got a bad bottle since that isn't how this beer normally is, so I made sure to grab a bottle of the 2013 release to give it a second a chance. The appearance is pretty damn nice, it's a little better than the 4 I gave it, the head and lacing were nice. The aroma was much more roasted then the first bottle I had, it had more RIS aromas and light amount of dark fruits, its like the opposite of the first bottle I had, but the biggest problem is the harsh alcohol aromas that remind of of cheap vodka, the aroma is better than the 2.5 i first gave it, but it's not much better. The taste is better and more RIS like it, it had a nice roast to it, the alcohol was hidden ok, it wasn't harsh but it was pretty warming, better than the 3 I first gave it, it taste like a good RIS. The mouthfeel was better than the 3 I first gave it, it was pretty true to style. I must have had a bad bottle because this one is much different and much more RIS like. The drinkability isn't the best I don't think I would want another one. This was a solid RIS, but not a favorite Founders Imperial Stout is still my number one. A good RIS, that I recommend try, but I don't think it worth the trouble of seeking out.

07-25-2011 03:57:01 | More by StoutHunter
brystmar

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

A: motor oil black and viscous as hell. A mild layer of dark brown head sits atop the brew and leaves behind sticky lace.

S: strong roasted malts, baker's chocolate, booze. Dark fruits too?

T: very dark and roasty. Bittersweet chocolate, coffee, and malts do their thing start to finish. Plenty of boozy warmth arrives midway through and carries you across the finish line.

M: so big & thick, I feel bad about not using this space for innuendo. Think of the children!

D: this beast doesn't hide its strength particularly well. Not a chore to drink, but you certainly know what's coming.

A great RIS overall. Combined with Tres, I'm now 2/2 in really liking the beers from this series.

07-24-2011 03:57:44 | More by brystmar
dc55110

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a dark black, with very little head... but tons of lacing. This stout is pitch black, held up to a light, none makes it through.

The smell is of dark rich dried fruit, figs, prune, raisin. There is also hints of bitter sweet chocolate, molasses, roasted coffee. In the background there is the presence of alcohol.

Rather sweet; the bitter sweet chocolate and dried fruit follow through from the nose. Coffee and alcohol are on the finish.

For as dark as this stout is, it is on the thin side. It doesn't give you that velvety feel as it goes down. Leaves a slightly chalky after taste/feeling in my mouth after the finish.

A nice stout, I'd be very curious to compare to the barrel aged version. I'll continue to pick this up every year upon its release.

07-24-2011 01:42:19 | More by dc55110
Vierenner

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Not many beers pour as dark and thick -- beautiful from my perspective. The first taste is good, but some unusual flavors are present which caused me to ponder if I was going to like it. After a sip or two, the taste buds get acclimated and the unusual flavors recede into the background. Overall I'm still left with a bitterness which I don't care for. I don't think it's a coffee bitterness ... seems like the hops are shouting out.

07-20-2011 21:21:05 | More by Vierenner
DearthVader

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Received as an extra from Beerness. Cheers, Charlie.

Poured into my Coronado snifter.

Pours a sludge-like black with a burnt brown head that sits 2" off the top. Extremely thick lacing is left from this. You can't pick up the slightest glimpse of light through this. This should really become a world wide definition for what a dark/thick beer is. A promising start.

Smells of robust coffee, dark chocolate syrup, roasted malts, and a ton of booze. Tingles the nose a bit.

Taste is a little harsh. The booze is just too much for me. I love the burnt coffee notes and the mouth coating chocolate syrup, but the booze drowns them out. Very hot beer.

I took the hot booziness out of consideration for the mouthfeel. If I were to consider the hot burn from this brew, it'd probably be in the 1.5-2 range. I love a thick, creamy stout, and that's exactly what this is. Mouth coating and almost chewy.

Overall, this was good. Not something I'd seek out, but if one lands on my doorstep again, I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm very happy I got to try this. I am actually very curious how the BA version would be.

07-20-2011 07:39:18 | More by DearthVader
THECPJ

Delaware

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown black with a 1 finger mocha head

smell: oatmeal, roast, cinnamon / nutmeg,

taste: oatmeal, roast, alcohol,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, full body,

overall: this beer was really good. very nice blend of flavors. wish I had access to more of this beer.

Cheers,
The CPJ

07-20-2011 00:55:20 | More by THECPJ
lurpy1

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Irony of ironies: After working in Michigan and unsuccessfully pursuing PT5, I find it back home in Minnesota. OK, so maybe I wasn't pursuing it that hard, still makes for a good lead-in.

Shared with the wife, poured from the bottle. My first impression: Oil spill. Plead the 5th gloops around in the glass, leaves a West Texas Crude sludge behind.

One whiff lets you know PT5 means business, the smell is strong on the alcohol, along with malt, coffee, yadda yadda.

The taste has a little bit too much alcoholic burn for me to give it a great score, but still a very tasty beer with a nice balance of carbonation and viscosity.

Very good beer, glad I finally made contact with it.

07-19-2011 18:14:23 | More by lurpy1
Janderson91

Alabama

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Received this as an extra twice in one week from SpdKilz and LusciousJackson so thanks to both of them! Can't find a bottle on date. Enjoyed on 07/16/11.

A - Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet. This thing is seriously motor oil. Pitch black and thick with no head at all. Only a small ring of brown bubbles around the edge of the glass. Great legs with no lacing.

S - Alcohol, chocolate syrup, robust coffee, roasted malts. This thing is going to be quite rich.

T - Dark chocolate, alcohol, coffee, some dark fruits, roasted malts. Thick and rich. Finishes with a nice bitter coffee flavor balanced by some sweet chocolate syrup. This thing is quite hot at the moment though.

M - Mouthfeel is quite good. Very very thick with hardly any carbonation. This is a sipper for sure.

O - Overall, this is an excellent imperial stout. However, it's a little hot at the moment, but I'm sure after about a year or so, it will be sublime. Good job, Dark Horse.

07-17-2011 04:01:19 | More by Janderson91
Dan3279

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

I have been looking forward to this beer for a while now and I really shouldn't have waited as long as I have to drink this great beer. I poured the 12oz bottle into my DFH snifter glass to find a body that was black as night with a light chocolate colored head that left no lacing. The aroma was exactly what I expected it to be, with chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and hints of vanilla and alcohol.

The taste was outstanding, with the chocolate hitting you first and them some bitterness, there are also some great hints of malt and vanilla. From start to finish this is a great tasting beer and you don't even notice the alcohol even though you do notice it in the aroma.

This is a full bodied beer that is some what chewy but at the same time has a small bit of creaminess and a nice balance of carbonation.

Overall this is a fantastic RIS, one thing that I love about this beer is that I can walk into the store anytime I want it, pick up a bottle and not have to worry about aging it first. I am defiantly going to be drinking this one on a regular basis.

07-16-2011 01:50:58 | More by Dan3279
GallowsThief

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Received in trade from my man ChugginOil (huge thanks as always!).

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A – Pours black with a half inch of dark chocolate head that quickly dissipates and settles. Spotty lacing.

S – Dark chocolate, mocha, coffee. Nice.

T – Dark fruits and dark chocolate start it off. Deep roasty rich flavors. Get some coffee bitterness as well with the slight taste of smoke. Burnt wood. Just a twinge of sweet to it. Finishes with a nice alcohol burn right down to your stomach.

M – Slick and clean feel though it does coat your palate. Medium bodied and low carbonation.

O – This is a beast of flavors. Has all the great qualities of a good RIS. The ABV is certainly present but it is not overpowering. Still it’s a sipper and a fine one at that.

07-16-2011 00:31:40 | More by GallowsThief
chadmoe1

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Had this on tap at D's SixPax and Dogz in Regent Square, PA. Served in a Goblet at about 40-45 F.

Appearance -- Dark reddish-brown, opaque, with 1/4 inch dark tan head that dissipated rather quickly. Amused that it was darker than the Diet Pepsi sitting on the table.

Smell -- Notes of dark chocolate and deep roasted coffee; not much in terms of hop smell. No smell of alcohol.

Taste -- Impressive for the alcohol content. The initial chocolate/roasted coffee taste was a bit bitter but enjoyable. Flavor lasted well after a sip. Limited discernible hop flavor. Some boozy flavors (12% ABV!) but not overwhelming or overpowering. Rather smooth for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel -- This was the thickest beer I've had so far, and I think part of the long lasting flavor was due to the beer still sticking to my tongue and cheeks. Carbonation was medium to low and spot on for style.

Overall -- For such a big beer in the middle of a hot summer, I really enjoyed all aspects of it. I've had higher ABV beers you could gulp through, but this was a definite sipper -- and I enjoyed this. I would get it again, though I'd really like to try a version BA as vanilla notes would really open the taste up further.

07-14-2011 14:10:34 | More by chadmoe1
cetherid

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

poured into a tulip

A.

beer pours a dark brown/black. Looks a little like used motor oil. Head was minimal...thin brown bubbly head, like a cola but dissipated quickly.

S.

Dark malts obviously. Notes of chocolate, burnt coffee and a nice little hop aroma. Perhaps a hint of soy in there but nothing terrible.

T.

Big roast up front moving to some slightly sweet, slightly bitter dark chocolate with a pretty boozy finish. I get some subtle licorice and burnt/smokey flavors in there as well. Perhaps a little too boozy, but I suppose acceptable given the ABV.

M.

Full bodied with decent carbonation. Fairly oily/slick mouthfeel to it.

O.

Overall a solid RIS. I'd opt for an Expedition stout over this but I would imagine the BA version of this is stellar. A little hard to come by so I probably wouldn't seek this out again as I can pick up a sixer of Expedition about 5 minutes away whenever I want. I'm curiously how an aged bottle of this be as it's currently drinking a little hot.

07-14-2011 02:25:45 | More by cetherid
Siggy125

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Beautiful used motor oil blackish brown in color with deep khaki brown head. Good carbonation with some lacing.

Deep roasted coffee malts on the note. Not much abv present on the aroma

Taste. Again dark roasted scorched black coffee with mild chocolate notes. Although this was not the BA version, still sensed some vanilla/oak sweet tones followed by a little bitterness. The high abv well blended in the flavors.

Good mouthfeel, smooth on the tongue and senses but very bold, especially after temp increases. Excellent sipper. Powerful brew.

07-14-2011 01:45:51 | More by Siggy125
tigg924

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, clear, dark brown in color, sediment at bottom of bottle

Smell: deep dark chocolate, faint alcohol

Taste: nice mix of dark and sweet chocolate, burnt malt, sweet sugar, and alcohol that burns

Mouthfeel: medium body, sweet with big time alcohol burn--slight bitterness on the aftertaste, medium carbonation

Drinkability: My second favorite in the line behind the blueberry, but I think that is just because I find the blueberry to be unique. This is a superb beer. It has the most alcohol burn I have tasted. It almost tastes like it has peppers. One of the best RIS I have had in a good long time. It tends to be on the sweeter side, but is nowhere near the cloying stage and far less sweet than Southern Tier. A great beer. Now that I have finished the series, I would rank them.

1a) Tres

07-13-2011 13:56:28 | More by tigg924
ratedz

Kansas

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours pitch black with a very thin mocha brown head that receded to a small ring around the outside of the glass.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate, and subtle coffee notes. Some dark fruits and a little smokiness are also noticeable.

T - Bittersweet chocolate, heavily roasted malts, burnt coffee. Some slightly bitter hops bite the tongue for a split second before it finishes with a little smokiness and alcohol heat.

M - Smooth and creamy, but a slight bite on the tongue seems a little off for an RIS.

O - A very good RIS, but there are others that I prefer over it. I'd be interested in trying the bourbon barrel aged version of this to see how it compares because I really enjoy bourbon barrel aged stouts. Thanks to Andy (pest) for sending a couple bottles of these in a recent trade!

07-13-2011 00:43:33 | More by ratedz
JLeege

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

2011 Vintage

Appearance- Pours out black, with a finger of dark mocha head. A nice layer stays atop the beer, with decent lacing.

Smell- Roasted nuts, chocolate, subtle coffee. Dark fruits (cherry), licorice, a little piney sided hops, and slight alcohol. Sort of fruity, for the style, which I really like!

Taste- More pronounced coffee flavors than the aroma would suggest, the roasted malts don’t completely dominate the brew, but more than the aroma would lead on. Some milk chocolate and licorice again, slight molasses. The dark fruits pop up again towards the finish, chocolate covered cherry, light plum, and actually somewhat vinous. A little pine, and fairly boozy on the finish as well.

Mouthfeel- Creamy and smooth, slightly sticky, not as thick as some imperial stouts, but fairly full bodied. ABV heat is noticed on the linger.

Overall- A very solid imperial stout, with great fruit elements poking through. Going to age the rest of the 4 pack and I am expecting great things, and much less heat (taste and feel scores should go up). A may be kicking myself for not buying more of this when it was around.

07-12-2011 00:10:50 | More by JLeege
jmerloni

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Jet fuel black. Thick as shit. Dark brown head, beyond tan and beyond beige. Impressive. Thick. Would be stickier if I were drinking it slower, I assume.

S - Wild aroma. Deep deep mocha aroma, with mild dark fruit aroma like cherries or raisins or even red grapes.

T - Wow. Dense flavors. Chocolate, coffee, more raisins and black cherries than grapes. Molasses malt. Slight alcoholic aftertaste. Interesting.

M - Thick as shit. Not very dry. The viscosity of this beer is impressive. Definitely chewy. Carbonation is perfectly appropriate and non-interruptive.

D - I'll get this again in a heartbeat. This is a beer everyone should try at least once. This is impressive. It tastes like it should be 500 calories.

07-11-2011 04:26:34 | More by jmerloni
philbe311

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Had the BA version first and loved it... Been looking forward to popping this open...

A - A fingers worth of the darkest brown colored head that I have ever seen that is densely packed and perfectly level... Fairly impressive retention especially given the slight head it started with... Audibly fizzy... An opaque medium black color... Quite still... Seems to be some sediment settled on the bottom of the glass...

S - Chocolate... Roasted malts... Raisins... Coffee... Touches of smoke and licorice...

T - Chocolate and marshmallow are the first to greet the palette... This is follwed by coffee and raisins... There is also a sweet caramel presence... The finish of all roasted malts... Nice depth and complexity...

M - On the lighter side of full bodied... Some slightly fizzy carbonation... Dense... Sleek... A bit sticky... A slightly chalky finish...

D - This is a top of the line Russian Imperial Stout... No criticisms and lots of really good things happening... Hides the 12% ABV rather well... I'm continually impressed by the offerings that Dark Horse puts forth... I look forward to drinking this again and highly recommend it to fellow BAs...

07-11-2011 01:17:26 | More by philbe311
smcolw

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Modest starting head--dark, dark tan color. Surprisingly little stability; this dies to only rim bubbles. No lace. Dark brown where no light shines through.

Overly mild aroma, most notable appearance is the alcohol.

Good burnt malt flavor, but it is compromised by the thinner body. This may be because of the very high alcohol. Elements of coffee and nearly no notable hop bitterness.

07-11-2011 00:50:38 | More by smcolw
Wadsey

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Plead the Fifth

Served in DFH signature glass

A: Pours black with minimal, light brown head. Typical looking imperial stout, in other words.

S: Dried dark cherries and star anise or licorice. A floral note that borders on perfume keeps flaring up. Additional aromas include light roasted chocolate, peat, smoke/soy sauce and solvent. The last two notes are subtle enough not to hurt the beer.

T: The tongue follows nose, and all notes are superbly integrated into a whole. Roast is stronger in taste and balances the dark fruitiness of the beer quite well. Medium-high bitterness. A little alcohol.

M: Big body and medium-light carbonation. Mouthfeel is oily and coating. Somewhat warming.

O:  Plead the Fifth rightfully belongs to the trilogy of Michigan Russian Imperial Stouts, which also includes Bell's Expedition Stout and Founder's Imperial Stout. It is more daring and complicated, though. Not as traditional.

07-10-2011 12:14:47 | More by Wadsey
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Thanks to Carl! No date. Purchased at Julio's.

Pours a thick motor-oil black with some tan head after a thorough agitation. Nose is weird at first but some blows off. Fresh milk is the first thing to mind (uh oh). Creamy milk chocolate and grass. Palate is sharp and biting with alcohol. Creamy creamy creamy carbonation. Mocha (coffee + chocolate)....

stop the presses. Me thinks there's lacto ruining this beer. Banana peel comes out on the nose and things fall apart. Will re-rate if the opportunity presents. Fail. (A: 4, S: 2.5, T: 2.5, M: 2, Overall 1.5 = D+ or 2.33)

Re-Review: Appearance is the same as above but everything else is different. Big milk chocolate and coffee on the nose. Palate is rich and thick with tons of roasted black coffee beans, grounds and brew. Bitter/dark chocolate, earthy moss and top soil, lots of tanned leather and cocoa nibs. Long finish. Delightful. Sucks that I had an infected bottle the first time. The score reflects the good bottle, but the overall score is lowered due to lack of coding and the off-bottl.e

07-10-2011 04:52:03 | More by SFLpunk
Lolli1315

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

A- An absolutely opaque blacks as no highlights are seen when placed next to a light. A small thin layer of brown head appears composed of small bubbles. The head becomes slightly patchy with a thick ring around the glass.

S- Tons of what seems to be milk chocolate prominent. The smooth chocolate turns to a bitter chocolate and burnt roasted malt aroma. Figs and plums combine with burnt coffee before an appropriate alcohol aroma helps to finish.

T- Smooth chocolate taste to begin before the bitter chocolate and burnt coffee takes its place towards the middle of the beer. Plums and figs linger in the background as the coffee and chocolate tastes continue into the end. An alcohol taste reveals itself in the end of the beer as it warms the mouth and lingers into the finish with some light bitter character.

M- Full bodied and chewy as the alcohol warms the mouth.

O- Unlike some Russian Imperial Stouts, this one doesn't seem like it needs any time put away and is great now. Great drinking and would suggest this to anyone.

07-10-2011 02:39:39 | More by Lolli1315
UCLABrewN84

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to UMNbeerhunter for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque black with a 1/2 inch dark khaki head that fades to a thin film on the top of the beer. Small dots of lace form randomly on the glass on the drink down. Smells of dark fruits (raisins/plums), dark roasted malt, slight chocolate, and slight soy sauce. Taste is of the dark fruits, dark roasted malt, and slight cocoa powder. Slight roasty bitterness on the palate quickly fades. This beer has low carbonation and is thick in both the pour and the mouth. Overall, this is a good RIS with a more fruit and malt forward flavor. I am glad I got to try this one.

07-07-2011 01:42:16 | More by UCLABrewN84
Mississipping

Mississippi

4.47/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle poured into a Jackie O's snifter, both courtesy of drgonzo3705.

A: Pours pitch black, letting absolutely no light penetrate.  A small, one-finger light brown head appears, but only briefly before disappearing.  Only a thin ring is left behind, with some sticky lacing.

S: This smells excellent ... roasted malt and bitter chocolate dominate, with hints of espresso, vanilla, dark fruit, and a touch of anise.  Really a lot going on here, creating an extremely pleasant aroma.  despite the higher alcohol content, there is no sign of it in the smell.

T: Starts out with dark, bitter chocolate and roasted malts.  Transitions slowly to a sweeter milk chocolate with fig and plumb.  Finishes roasty with an absolutely delicious espresso flavor and a touch of hops that lingers and lingers.  There is a bit of a drying effect on the finish, however, there is almost no trace of alcohol.  Really nice!

M: Full-bodied, thick, and slightly chewy.  Fairly low carbonation that provides a smooth velvety creaminess across the tongue with each sip.  Nice transition from bitter to sweet to bitter/roasty.  Again, slightly drying at the end.

O: This is an exceptional non-BA imperial stout.  There is a lot going on in the aroma and taste, and the mouthfeel is spot on.  I've had my eye on this for a while, largely due to some of the hype surrounding the BA-version, and this version is better than I had expected.  I'm really glad to have gotten a chance to try this and will try to get my hands on another bottle or two down the road.

07-05-2011 01:57:54 | More by Mississipping
sidetracked

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours black with a medium brown head that lingers and creates nice lacing.

Smell is dark roasted malts, bitter baker's chocolate, sweet molasses, some dark dried fruits, little alcohol heat.

Taste upfront is roasted malts and semi-sweet chocolate. Finish is bitter roasted malts mixed with sweet molasses, a little chocolate and sweet dark dried fruits. Lingering bitter chocolate. Overall slightly sweet.

Full bodied and creamy. Light but present carbonation. Seems a little thin at times. Little alcohol heat.

Nice multidimensional flavor that stays interesting. Very enjoyable beer.

5/3/2011