Plead The 5th Imperial Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

2010 and pre: white label
2011: white label OR black label with black no logo cap
2012: black label with logo cap
2013: black label with logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner and new government warning

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 09-27-2008)
4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Color: pours a VERY dark brown. sits black with only the slightest brown rim

Smell: perfect balance of chocolate, coffee and alcholol

Taste: aroma translates perfectly to pallet. sauperb balance of chocolate and roasted malts with a perfect amount of alcohol

Mouthfeel: full body. creamy. low carbonation

Notes: excellent stout. one of the best ive had

Frosty80, Apr 30, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks for this one Dave!

Well I thought to myself- "Yeah, I'll just have one brew before going to bed" and picked this one out of the fridge. Man, I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

After a straight-down-the-pipe pour into my DFH snifter, a very late forming film of mocha is formed which dissipates to nothing quickly. Even upon swirling, the film upon this black-as-night brew struggles to reappear. I wondered why- then I came on BA and saw the ABV. Uh oh....

Aromas of roasted and chocolate malt, sweet molasses, some alcohol and dark fruits come through (maybe some caramelized brown sugar). Much better as it warms up...

Flavor is pretty good here. Smooth, coating the mouth with flavors of roasted and chocolate malts and dark fruits . Some malt complexity challenges the tongue with just enough of a hint of alcohol to keep you wary of the ABV.

Carbonation level is appropriate, lending to a very smooth, viscous sipper. I don't know how drinkable you could expect a brew like this to be, but it's about what you would expect considering its style and ABV.

Ineedabeerhere, Apr 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought two of them and meant to age one but my wife really wanted to try it and... well... I wasn't going to let her drink alone and I didn't have anything else. Shoulda' aged it probably.

The appearance is not impressive. After pouring one for my wife into a snifter and getting no head whatsoever, I tried a really aggressive pour into my pint glass (my preferred RIS glass) and got only slightly better results. I'm not a sucker for head like some are, but this dense, blackest black brew gave me nothing but some dark tan bubbles. Yes, it is dark and thick but it doesn't look as alive as, say, Founders KBS or some other headless stouts.

Smells real nice though. Aromas of bitter dark chocolate, toasted malt, oak, vanilla and ... I think burnt cake, whatever that means. There was a slight trace of alcohol going up the nose. I liked that. Maybe an essence of elderberries, but I feel like the esters were weak in the smell here.

Once it hits your mouth this beer is really a top of the line RIS. Good, dark coffee, chocolate, roasted malts and grains, a little dark fruit and vanilla near the end and great lightly-hoppy bitterness to even it out. The body is heavy and boozy but it isn't overwhelmingly viscous or oily.

Sure drink a few of these. Don't let me stop you. One was enough for me though.

Gigantis, Apr 29, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -3%

A - This beer poured a pitch black color that produced a fluffy brown head that had great retention and left beautiful lace along the side of the glass

S - This beer produced aromas of chocolate, coffee, and brown sugar

T - This beer produced flavors of bitter dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, some brown sugar, and a little bit of dark fruits on the finish

M - This beer had a meduim to heavy body accompanied by a light amount of carbonation

D - This was a great RIS, a little different that normal RIS's, but not as in your face as the WWS, but somewhere in between, a very good beer

cvfish, Apr 29, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium tulip glass.

A: Thickness bottled. Inky black, couldn't stand a spoon in it like say one might be able to do with a glass of Dark Lord but really not that far off.

S: Smells sweet and boozy, boat loads of chocolaty malt. I'd say you can just about taste the booze on this one with just a sniff.

T/MF: Big, thick, chewy if slightly undercarbonated. Licorice, seems to be the driving force in this beer, sweet tobacco, slightly acrid smokiness and or hop bitterness, licorice comes back in the finish as well in a big way. Hot boozy licorice, very dry, very raw, I feel as though this beer is not done with whatever it needs to be done with to make it a finished beer. Some time in the cellar I think would be good for it. The amount, or more correctly stated, the noticeable presence of alcohol in this beer is too high for my taste at the moment. Perhaps given time the booziness might subside that might allow the malt bill on this beer come through in a bigger way.

D: This time I don't think that my ratings reflect how I actually perceived this beer, it's not what I am used to, I don't really like the licorice that I can taste, but the mouthfeel on this seems to improve but that may be an account of how my tongue is numbed out by the alcohol in this. It just doesn't taste like what I'm used to, it's not really smooth, it's thick but not smooth and that alone sort of makes the whole drinking experience suffer for me, where the beer might actually taste better than I am rating it, but the feel made me think that it tastes worse than it actually is. I'm not going to say I'm disappointed in this beer (though at 11 bucks for 4 I might be) I'll say that this was not exactly what I was expecting out of this beer.

bluemoonswoon, Apr 26, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Lately I have been on a Dark Horse kick and for good reason....their stouts are fricking incredible. I also love their Strong Dark Bier. So, as soon as I saw that they had an Imperial Stout hit the shelves, I picked up a few 4 packs. This review is for the first bottle. I plan on aging the rest.

A - Black. Not as thick as their Blueberrry Tres Stout but very black. Poured with a thin layer of small dark brown bubbles on the top that quickly eroded away leaving a ring of lacing on the outer edge of my glass. Very nice.

S - Big! Bold! Some alcohol present on the nost but not overpowering. Burnt carmel, marshmallows, chocolate. Quality ingredients were put into this Stout.

T - The taste is amazing! Strong. Thick. Alcohol but just the right amount. The drinker wouldn't have a clue that this is 12% ABV if BA or their website didn't tell you this. This beer will be absolutely fantastic with a few years of aging on it. Therefore, I can only give it a 4.5. I will have to come back and edit my review in a few years after the second one is allowed to wake up. I just apologize to this beer for drinking it a little to early. Aging is my new hobby. WOW - An amazing Imperial Stout from one of the BEST breweries in the upper midwest. Everything I was hoping for plus more. Dare I say....this might give Bell's Expedition a run for it's money. I think I may have just broke one of the beer sins in saying this...Oh well.

M - Creamy texture. Coats the mouth. Thick. Excellent. I have to give this a perfect 5.

D - Yeah...at 12% ABV, I don't think so but I really want more of you. Man this is an exceptional stout. I am glad that it is so high on the alcohol side and that Dark Horse uses bottle opener bottles and caps instead of those stupid twist off tops. This means that this should age quite well. Thanks Dark Horse. I am a HUGE fan.

schellsbeer, Apr 24, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

G: Poured into an oversized snifter.

A: Pours near-black with a very dark, slightly cherry-infused head. The head is a little less than a finger, and has a good amount of carbonation. Plenty of lacing.

S: Dark malt and some hop presence, but the overpowering smell here is that of dried red fruits. Also, some mild espresso. Also, some definite alcohol presence.

T: Much like the smell, but add in the tiniest bit of anise.

M: A little bit thin, though still has a good body. Good amount of carbonation. Not too much of an alcohol bite.

D: This one is definitely a sipper. Lighter than most RIS's, which might not be a bad thing considered that it's released just as the weather turns for the better.

Thorpe429, Apr 23, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. Poured black with a thin light brown head, even with an aggressive pour. Little lacing on the glass also. Aromas were of roasted malts and chocolate with hints of black licorice. I expected a plume of alcohol, but wasn't overly present. Mouth-feel is medium to thick and thickens as the stout warms. Tastes are roasted malts, chocolate, and espresso. It is boozy, but the alcohol isn't overly present given the 12% ABV. Fruity esters reminiscent of ripe dark fruits are also present as it warms. Overall, a well done RIS! Really enjoyed this one, and would recommend it. I only bought a single, but would have been satisfied with a 4-pack.

barnzy78, Apr 23, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Dark, dark brown head, an aggressive pour yielded a huge, frothy, thick head which sustained well. Gorgeous black beer, poured literally like motor oil.

S-Roasted malt, chocolate. Fruity esters, very prominent and mixed, with hints of blueberry.

T-Roasted malts, slight chocolate with a hint of vanilla. Hop bitterness does its job appropriately. Slight alcohol arises in the finish, plays with the dark fruity flavors, then fiishes with choco/vanilla with a roasted maltiness.

M-Creamy and smooth. Fine bubbled carbonation. Full body, luxurious and satiny.

D-High. First had this one on cask, and now having had it from the bottle has firmly established my enjoyment of this brew.

CHSLBrew, Apr 21, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter

Pours ink black with a one inch dark tan head forming on top that retains quite well for being in the snifter. The cap retains very well and some moderate lacing is left on the glass.

Aroma is chocolaty, a hint of fruit kind of like mixed berries, a very far and away hint of vanilla, some charred wood, vague hops, and a whiff of alcohol fumes. It kind of seems like there is a struggle for them all to blend together and create something wonderful, but they have potential.

Taste has a ton of chocolate character up front with the dark fruit character of mixed berries coming in midway through. A bit of char and coffee burnt flavors come in after the swallow followed by a big burst of warming alcohol which stays on the breath.

Mouthfeel is medium-full, chewy but not exactly viscous. Creamy texture with the right amount of carbonation. Drinkable in the sense that I am gonna enjoy every sip of this beer, but not in the I'm gonna drink a bunch of this way.

A very enjoyable RIS. I can only see this one getting greater over time and I will happily let my other three bottles age a while before cracking another.

roadhouse, Apr 18, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks go to G-Rod for sharing this one (Garrett). Latest (09) batch from West Side Liquors in Harrison, Indiana. Great, simple label and basic 4-pack. True to it's roots and not over-marketed and full of frills on the packaging.

Pours black. No light penetrating through this one. Might as well be liquid onyx. Dark tan 1/2 inch head after an aggresive pour into my tulip at 55-60 degrees. Atfer a small whirl in my glass, I see my favorite ascpect of RIS'es - an evil golden-brown film climbing up the walls of my glass. It's an oil slick now - perfect!

Nose is BIG on this one. Alcohol, grassy hops, burnt malts and a large whiff of burnt cherries. Perhaps some traces of oak and vanilla in there, too. If the mouth is anything like the nose on this, I'm gonna love it!

Much like the nose. More vanilla in the mouth. Medium to full bodied with full flavor. This is nice. The major flavor on this one is rich, heavily roasted malts, baker's chocolate and burnt dark cherries.

I feel evil drinking this, like a good RIS should make you feel.

Very nice! My favorite offering from Dark Horse to date!

beachbum1975, Apr 12, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

First of all I just want to start by saying that I really like the way Dark Horse packages their beers. The 4 pack cardboard holder is just plain brown with nothing on it, the bottle has a label that looks like something I could print off of my printer at home, and the bottle cap is just plain black. Everything about it screams microbrewed, and if you didn't know what you were looking for you'd walk right past it in the beer aisle without noticing it.

A- Pours like a RIS. Jet black, dark brown head (darker than most actually). No highlights...I'm shocked.
S- Kind of disappointing nose. Dark roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. It's not bad just not particularly enticing.
T- Big improvement over the smell. Nothing really sets it apart from other RIS's I've had except for the bitterness maybe. Other than that coffee, chocolate, dark fruits etc, etc.
M- Not quite as thick as I usually like RISs to be. I do appreciate the huge amount of warmth that comes after each sip though.
D- I always feel silly talking about drinkability for a beer like this. One is great, two might get to be a little much.

my bottom line: Plead the fifth is an especially bitter, strong, warming RIS. Very tasty but other than the bitterness and strength it fails to really set itself apart from the rest of the RIS pack in my book.

Shumista, Apr 11, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Black as the night, exquisite head. frothy, tons of action on the pour and staying power!

Big chocolate and coffee, roasted malts, marshmallows, and malted milk balls are all in the aroma.

Taste: Very smooth chocolatey taste with lots of coffee beans roasty tastes all around. Somewhat sweet, like fine dark chocolate. Bitter finish topped off with a cocoa butter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, nice smooth stout aftertaste, lots of chocolate in this one.

Great beer!

midnite2sixman, Apr 10, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to hoppymeal for this one. Been looking forward to it for quite a while.

2008 release

Pours a jet black, onyx color. Not a hint of light cutting through. A dark, mocha brown head rises to about one finger and receded quickly to lie on top for quite a while. Perhaps a little too much alcohol? Sticky, stringy lace clung to the glass.

The nose is strong and extremely enticing. A strong mix of roasted and chocolate malts jump out of the glass. Smells like bittersweet dark chocolate rather than sweet milk chocolate. Coffee is very much in the mix and smells delicious. I'm a coffee lover, so any coffee prominent stout is right up my alley. There's some light black licorice and molasses roaming about. Alcohol is noted, but isn't overly strong. It doesn't present itself as a big beer at all. Plead the 5th has a very deep, rich nose. It's extremely impressive.

The flavor profile is equally as impressive. Bittersweet dark chocolate is very prominent. There's a slight sweet fudge-like taste that mixes well. Roasted malts are flavorful and mix very well with the chocolate variety. Coffee/espresso are prominent. While it is a secondary feature, it's very assertive in its role and cranks up the flavor (and character) a great deal. Did I mention that I love coffee? To a lesser degree, molasses and black licorice add depth and more flavor. This is one big, badass malty imperial stout. Alcohol is easily noted, but I wouldn't have guessed it's 12% at all. There's absolutely no residual warmth. Finishes sweet and very malty.

A full, thick body and light carbonation give it a silky smooth, creamy feel. It's very lush. Dark Horse did a very nice job here. Drinkability is good (and deceptive). This goes down way too easy and doesn't feel as big as it is. My bottle doesn't list the abv, but I suspect the 12% listing is close to accurate. I respect the strength, but it really is a joy. It'd be every bit as enjoyable if it were 9% though.

Sorry, I'm not Pleading the 5th on this one. I'm very guilty of loving this beer and I'm not afraid to admit it. It's loaded with delicious flavor and is extremely impressive all around. To be fair, this bottle is roughly a year old. Perhaps more. It's drinking incredibly well right now. The abv could probably be shaved a little and it wouldn't skip a beat. That's about the only criticism I have. If you happen to land multiple bottles, by all means, put some back for a year or two. I promise it's more than worth it. Thanks a ton, Derek. This was excellent.

prototypic, Apr 08, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -39.7%

I spent the evening bored outta my mind at an art show that involved some of the works with people staring at each other and other weird shit. I was so thirsty for beer by the end of this nonsense I needed the strongest thing in my fridge.

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized snifter. Off the pour I get a smallish half an inch very dark brown head, cola like, receeding very fast. Leaving very small traces of spotty lace. A colar of retentoion. The beer itself is black, no light penetration.

The aroma holds some boozy warmth, alot of very dark chocolate, all bitterness in the aroma. Some cocoa powder smell in there too. A touch of roasted grain smell.
The aroma is a bit dissapointing overall, with the boozy warmth being the main contender.

The mouthfeel is quite slick with a full bodies creamy mouthfeel, mixed with quite a bit of carbonation.

The taste on this is as the aroma would suggest. Its very bitter, nothing too inviting for an RIS, its more like a really malty dry stout with lots of bitterness. My tastebuds are really overwhelmed here with bitter burnt grain overload here and I'm a bit dissapointed. No warmth suggesting 12% in the taste though, its well hidden. This finishes dry and again, bitter with nothing fun or exciting going on here.
For an RIS I'd have to plead the 5th, rather then say what is really on my mind with this one, as its probably going to offend somone.

Do not want

Buebie, Apr 04, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz single, no bs IV. sticker on neck notes 04/08

appearance: snifter treatment. jet black body with a thin chocolate neck, very little in the way of lacing/retention

smell: rich and chocolatey, heavily roasted, earthy peat, dark fruit

taste: nice - dark and extremely roasty, char and peat, licorice and bitter dark chocolate, cola, espresso

moutfeel: creamy and rich, seems a touch thin

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Mar 29, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Jet black in my snifter. Thin, tan head that dissolves quickly, leaving a curious image that looks like the fossil of a prehistoric armadillo captured in stone. Two minutes later it's a peacock.
Burnt malts, coffee and faint alcohol. Some chocolate as well.
Coffee and cocoa up front. Roasted malts and booze. Moderately bitter.
Smooth, yet slightly tingly. A bit warming from the booze.
Quite tasty, and quite drinkable on a weekend. Limit- three? Only one on a week night, however.

WilliamD, Mar 29, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours a near black in color with almost no head to be found.

Smell is some dark cocoa and some hops coming through as well. The hops are throwing off the smell a bit though. Taste is roasted black malt and some slight coffee as well. Mouthfeel is tad thin too. This is my least favorite beer from an outstanding brewery. I've liked everything else from them, so this beer definitely won't deter me from seeking out more Dark Horse offerings.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 21, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to hoppymeal for this one. Small capped bottle poured into a pint.

One shade below pitch black, it has a very thin dark cocoa head that does not hold, but leaves some lacing.
Aroma is very nice and well balanced, if not powerful. Roasted grains, coffee, chocolate, licorice, anise.
Body is this beer's major fault, although not a prominent one. This is just medium bodied, lacking that extra punch that qualifies the top RIS. Flavor is actually very pleasant, showing an impressive balance between the bitter roasted grains, unsweetened coffee and the sweet cocoa.
Balance like this is unusual; a bit more body would make this a spectacular beer.

brdc, Feb 18, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

4 Bottle pack from the package store in front of Dark Horse.

Poured a black color with an average creamy brown head that mostly lasted and produced good lacing. Heavy roasted malt and chocolate aroma. Full body with a smooth texture. Good complex roasted flavor with a heavy roasted bittersweet finish of long duration.

Good complex standout brew.

tmoneyba, Jan 30, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of grub! Day 2 of epic DrJay visit tasting.

Pours a deep, dark and opaque black, no light escapes, very thick brown head forms, drops a lot of lacing, settles down to a thick ring, looks like a RIS! Smell is great, tons of chocolate and fruit, toffee, coffee roast, very perfumy and floral hops, licorice, strawberries and cherries, dates, more roast and chocolate, awesome. Taste is great as well, chocolate, insane amount of roastiness, dry and chalky middle, toffee, some smoke, charred wood, burnt sugar, light bit of fruitiness, roasty bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low to medium carbonation, some warmth going down, but very smooth. Great imperial stout, very nice. Thanks Russ!

Viggo, Jan 04, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Moved from the "750mL" listing
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4
rDev: +4.1%

This is about the 3rd sample of this particular Dark Horse stout that i've had.

Pours jet black, very dark mocha foam. Body is definitely thick and rich. It's unique character of plum, fried plantain, dark chocolate, frozen chocolate covered banana, and roasty char make for a very interesting RIS. Long lingering aftertaste of earthy char and espresso. This is strong stuff, ballsy with a great deal of substance to it. Drinks like a champ, definitely a sipper. Probably my favorite beer from Dark Horse.

Reviewed on: 05-12-2008 01:23:12

emerge077, Dec 28, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Got this in a trade from Younger35. Thanks bud.

A-Dark body, oily consistency. Not a bit of head to speak of. No lacing.

S-Too much alcohol overtones. Other than that, chocolaty.

T-Alcohol will kick your a**. Heavy in the right places. Stick to your ribs good.

M-Thick and sticky. Not much else to it.

D-Be careful with this one. I could probably stomach 3 or 4 then call it a night.

TasteTester, Dec 22, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

2008 Biergotter Tasting - Day 2. Big thanks to grub for cracking this one. 12 oz "Plead the 5th" bottle.
This stuff was your basic black with faint brown edges and a thin, dark brown cap of fine bubbles that settled to a long lasting collar. Sticky lacing. Rich aroma, lots of fruit and roast character, chocolate and cocoa, dried fruits and cherries, hint of vanilla. Reminded me of a fruit and nut chocolate bar. Chalky, dry roast flavour with medium to low hop bitterness. Very nutty with dark chocolate and cocoa notes, plus mild alcohol towards the end. Caramel and toffee sweetness. Faint licorice. Full bodied with low, very fine carbonation, alcohol warmth and a chalky dryness. Rich and delicious, just the way a big stout should be.

DrJay, Dec 13, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Inky black body. Tight crown of dark brown foam. Lacing is spotty.

Aroma: Dark chocolate, anise oil, dark currant, black licorice and heavily roasted coffee bean.

Flavor: All the aromas translate nicely to the palate in this beer. The chocolate and coffee and licorice. Yeah, there's a nice combination of flavors here.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Greasy and oily to an extent, which is good. But where's the body? The girth? This beer needs more heft. Carbonation is appropriately low. Alcohol accents nicely and doesn't become toxic at all in this high octane beer. Nicely done beer overall.

Bighuge, Dec 13, 2008