2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Plead The 5th Imperial Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Plead The 5th Imperial StoutPlead The 5th Imperial Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

2010 and pre: white label
2011: white label OR black label with black no logo cap
2012: black label with logo cap
2013: black label with logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner and new government warning

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 09-27-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,361 | Reviews: 734 | Show All Ratings:
MaxSpang

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter...

APPEARANCE

Obviously, VERY dark. This guy poured very slowly into the glass. It had a lovely brown head, probably one of the darker heads I've seen. The head was about 2 fingers. There was minimal bubbles.

SMELL

Very malty in the nose. There was a big amount of chocolate and roasty aromas. It had a little bit of alcohol, but not NEARLY as much as you would expect! There was also a slight graininess in the smell, as well as some tropical fruits and banana which was quite surprising.

TASTE

In my notes from this beer (which I had a few nights ago), the first thing I wrote for the taste was "Sooo good". And it definitely is! Very sweet with a big amount of yummy chocolate and bittersweet cocoa. It had a burnt-sweet-fruit taste, and I mean that in the best way possible. There was a fairly strong banana flavor which was extremely pleasant. There was NO alcohol taste to be found in this beer. I swear there was a good amount of oak flavors in it, yet I don't think it was aged in oak barrels (but I'm not 100% sure that it wasn't.) I have to say that this beer was very similar to Founders KBS, without the coffee flavors.

MOUTHFEEL

Very thick and very smooth. This is one of those beers I put into my "Big-Ol'-Stankin-Beer" category. It was very warming from the alcohol.

OVERALL

This is by far one of my favorite Imperial Stouts, and relatively inexpensive (compared to other IS). It's also a bit easier to get a hold of, although the store I bought my 4-pack from was limiting 1 per customer. This beer is pretty dangerous though, because it's very drinkable (considering the thickness), and you definitely cannot taste the 12-14% ABV - so be careful with this guy!

04-27-2011 22:54:02 | More by MaxSpang
cradke

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark dark and pours quite thin and viscous. Finger thick dark head. Reflective, see-your-face-in-the-beer, dark.

Smell: Delicious. Dark chocolate and malt. Perfect level of sweetness (dry). Touch of smoke to it. Wonderful.

Taste: First thing that hits me is biter chocolate and then some smokey notes and peat. GREAT roasted malts and dark chocolates spread across the palate. Great amounts of flavor. Nicely earthy with some bitter coffee. Fantastic level of dry-ness.

Mouthfell: Spot on. Thick and substancial. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall: Wow. This beer is fantastic.

06-08-2012 05:15:59 | More by cradke
MCain04

4.73/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Almost pitch black with a kahki head of 1/2 finger depth. Not much retention or lacing.

S: Roasty malts, caramel, sweet dark chocolate, a little alcohol, very nice aroma.

T: Roasy malts along with the smell, nice dark chocolate and toffee, just really great. A little bitterness lingers.

M: Moderate carbonation, a little more than necessary, but otherwise a nice full body with good smooth texture and a nice finish.

O: This is equal to, if not better than, FIS. I'm just really, really loving this brew. It's hard to improve upon. Very nice.

03-10-2013 06:50:14 | More by MCain04
Gryphon69

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

snifter at the brewery, followed by a growler at home.

A- Black, no light seeping thru..anywhere, this even pours thick and syrupy. Dark head that fades after a few minutes. Laces up the sides and just...sticks to the glass.

S- Dark roasted malts, chocolate, hints of plums and other dark fruits, some noticeable alcohol.

T- My oh my, chocolates, dark roast, right up front and very balanced. Some dark fruits in the middle that linger, and not a sweet type fruit. Finish is kinda of dry with a slight alcohol burn.

M- The best, very thick, and syrupy, sticky, it gets stuck in the cracks of your teeth. chewy and lingering.

O- At the moment its one of the best RIS ive had the pleasure of drinking. Hope I can find it in bottles somewhere to add to my shelf. I highly recommend this to everyone

Serving type: growler

03-17-2014 00:12:40 | More by Gryphon69
nortmand

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Really, really dark brown, with some tan foam.
Roasted chocolatey smel. Whoa alot of roast. Also, a nice sweet smell.
Taste is strongly sweet, but complimented by a roast bitterness. Leaves an autumn fire taste behind.
A very nice, rich stout from dark horse. They don't do much bad.

10-22-2005 01:56:44 | More by nortmand
rembrant

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a dire Big Stout Black..brown head settles to 1 finger and thick,leaves lace,foam,viscosity on the glass as you drink. it's hard for a proper Stout to get max points for pretty,a glass of Quaker State with 10,000 miles on it looks like good Stout.

Aroma...definitely not Quaker State...

All that dark goodness seems present with Espresso,Dark chocolate,raisins,licorace,smokey hints all entwined. It's hard to say which would win out in the end but I just can't wait.

Taste Hmmm...Yum. The Espresso/Chocolate seems a draw,big mega mocha. Raisins and dried cherries float by,currents lurk with some tart-sour cherry presence hiding amongst the crowd. A bit of smoky and the woodsy hops show up in the aftertaste,as if to reset your buds for the next adventure.
Next swig, holding it longer gets more coffee in the finish,what next? Turkey and Dressing?

If I had not been 'discovering Dark Horse over the past weeks,the surprise factor here might be stronger. As is, I was looking for the evolutions and the layers of detail,the unique tricks this brewer puts in the bottle. There's more than I can seem to describe

This joins the elite few Stouts that are pure inky black bliss. I want to do a showdown with 5th,Bell's Expedition and KBS.
Plead the 5th would start with a bonus point for price.

Mouthfeel... No surprise for me,Dark Horse found the sweet spot and all the mouth stuff is balanced,full rich opening then tapers off and the sour/smoky/roasty/bitter works with the illusion that the density thins. They brew at least 8 big dark brews,plus variants and are good at avoiding negatives like cloying,or abrassive. The carb is subtle yet enough for the right zing. Tastes and textures shift but never mess it up.

Drinkable? Well, I never tasted any "boozy" but already I know this ain't no bud light. Price is not "off the wall" nor is it cheap. I could see a stay at home session where I do several and at some point am immobile. I can make that sacrifice.

i have to go to Michigan and taste the barrell age version before I die...preferably much sooner than that.

09-09-2010 23:23:29 | More by rembrant
MBrausen

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

This was poured from a 12oz bottle into a Town Hall sniffer.

A. This pours like used motor oil. A very thin head, with very minimal carbonation.

S. Smells of milk chocolate, light toffee, mild smoke and coffeee.

T. A extremely pleasing coffee taste. A little bit of bitterness with a sweet finish. Noticeable toffee in the initial taste, that fades to the smooth coffee.

M. A very smooth taste, that goes down easy. There is a very nice mixture that doesn't boarder on any extremes. There is a very nice dry finish to the taste.

O. This beer has a great balance between the thickness I expect in a Imperial Stout, and being easy to drink. It doesn't feel overly filling, but has lots of bold flavors that really tingle the palate. I really enjoyed this beer, and am adding it to my list of "to buy" next time I'm at the store.

07-30-2011 03:40:41 | More by MBrausen
BeerBuckeye

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a dirty motor oil black, plenty viscous, a nice mocha colored head that fades quickly leaving behind very little lacing.

S - Very chocolatey, hints of dark fruit, licorice, coffee, and oak. Man this is a good smelling brew.

T - Oh man, hits you with a ton of bitter, dark roasted coffee. Nice, bittersweet chocolate, a hint of that fruity sweetness. Touches of vanilla, oak, and almost like smoked charcoal. Delicious.

M - Sticky, full, roasty. Perfect mouthfeel.

Overall - Blown away by this one, truly outstanding.

04-24-2013 00:14:04 | More by BeerBuckeye
Apatschinn

Iowa

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

App. - Pitch black pour. Nearly opaque in the glass. Virtually no head at all with little lacing.

Smell - All things chocolate. Light amount of coffee mixed as well. Very impressive.

Taste - Fails to keep up with the smell. Heavier coffee aftertaste that quickly dissipates. Great initial flavor though!

Mouth. - Light and smooth, very impressed.

Over. - Great beer I got from a friend in a trade, Would definitely love to see this on tap nearby!

04-08-2014 03:18:06 | More by Apatschinn
barhoc11

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Darkest of dark, looks like used motor oil but in a good way. little to no head on the beer.

S: Sweet roast smell, one of the best smelling RIS's I have had

T: Just as it smells, very sweet with the roasted malt finish. As with most RIS's, this gets better as it warms

M: Nicely carbonated and thick in your mouth, just as it should for this style

O: This is one of my favorite RIS's, it pushes the limits of the style but in a very good way. It is hard to tell this is 11% abv

04-11-2014 23:26:40 | More by barhoc11
BrentJ

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

I was excited to see this new entry to Dark Horse's stout series. I picked up a 4-pack at the Liquor Stop in Highland, IN.

Poured thick and black. The smell had my mouth watering for the first taste; which was outstanding. I'm looking forward to picking up a few more 4-packs...

One of the best stouts I've ever had! Well done, Dark Horse!

04-07-2010 02:44:01 | More by BrentJ
Retail1LO

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

This is what I'M talkin' about!

Poured into a pint glass from a room temperature bottle.

Thanks to Centennial for giving this to me when he was a guest at my house the other evening.

This pours a lovely jet black with about 2 fingers worth of gorgeous espresso foam that recedes quickly, leaving a thin layer atop the rest of the beer. One of the best smelling stouts I've ever had the pleasure of taking in. A rich, chocolaty, bourbon, vanilla nose that is just so intoxicating to inhale. The taste is just behind the nose, mirroring all of the luscious flavors represented in the nose. This is my kind of stout. A little boozy, thick, rich, and creamy. The mouthfeel is absolutely the BEST I've had in a stout. I can't stop taking mouthfuls and just...letting them rest in my mouth while I tongue all the incredible flavors and texture. Unreal. I have to get more of this. Fast.

09-18-2011 03:14:02 | More by Retail1LO
ncketchum

Wisconsin

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Enjoyed on tap at Stubbys, 2nd to last glass I'm told...

A - pours jet black, no head

S - chocolate malt, maybe a bit of hops

T - black licorice up front, then chocolate milk, followed by a bit of bitter hops

M - thinner than expected, little alcohol burn, well hidden for this ABV

O - extremely solid Impy Stout. I could drink this all night, if there were more glasses available and I had a ride home. Very glad I was able to sample this one.

08-29-2012 02:13:25 | More by ncketchum
Qbdoo

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

From a bottle, pours black as night with hardly any head (despite three tries), though what you get is a dark tan.

Scent is not powerful: roasted malt, coffee.

Taste: roasted malt, coffee, a little chocolate, There's just a bit of booze, but not too much. There are Russian imperial stouts that have too much, but this - despite 11% abv, is just right.

Mouthfeel is unbelievable: thick, creamy with a light carbonation. Probably the best mouthfeel of any stout, maybe any beer.

This may be my new favorite beer. Wish it were more readily available.

03-14-2014 00:41:22 | More by Qbdoo
MrVonzipper

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Thanks to MrHirshybar for this fine piece along with aging it a year for me.

Oilslick black along with it's oily glass coating viscosity. Mild foamy 1/2cm brown head with low retention and light spotty lacing.

Deep, dark and bold nose. Notes of rich bitter chocolate, rich liquored dark fruit, bourbony oak and deep rich soy sauce. They soy sauce stands out at first, you really gotta swirl to open up the other characteristics.

Flavor is huge and bold! Big robust notes of bitter chocolate (cacao), dark fruits, vanilla, bourbon, oak and faint black licorice. The Flavor is amazing.

Full bodied mouthfeel. Silky and viscous. Wonderful palate coating creaminess with low carbonation.

Overall this beer is pretty fucking awesome. I'm really interested to try it fresh, cuz the age is apparent and great. I can't imagine it getting any better with any more age, so I think a year is about right on for this piece.

11-30-2011 06:31:53 | More by MrVonzipper
PsilohsaiBiN

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle: Date unknown. Big thanks to Marti403.

Appearance: Black as death with a creamy, tan 1/2 finger head that has some staying power.

Smell: Delicious, deep, rich chocolate, roasted malt, caramel, brown sugar. WOW!

Taste: Matches the nose so well and tastes just as I hoped it would! Pretty much has everything from the nose with a little booze in the back, which is expected of a 12% beer, but it's not harsh. This is one of the best stouts I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: So creamy, so smooth. Not quite in BCBS territory of viscosity, but it's thick, yet so drinkable. Velvety, for sure.

Overall: What can I say, got this as an extra and it's blown me away. Can't find much wrong with this aside from the booziness at the end, but I'll bet that can be fixed with a year in the cellar. So damn good, and my first Dark Horse brew. Look forward to many more after this!

02-09-2013 00:27:39 | More by PsilohsaiBiN
maximum12

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Missed Plead the 5th last year when it came around, so gladly grabbed a single when it appeared on local shelves. Fantastic name for a brew, by the way.

Slithers into the glass like a liquid little black dress, all silky & languid. The scents wafting out of bottle & glass are enough to make my mouth water.

Wow. Wow. This is a first-class stout. The roasted malts are deep enough to swim in, rich enough for Pamela Anderson, complex as a hundred-year old Swiss watch. Accompanying all this pleasure is a sweet choco tinge & a sliver of underlying coffee that's just enough to set off the deep darkness of the malts.

Damn. Creamy, mouth-coating goodness that doesn't let go. 12% ABV? Sign me up for a bender on this one, it'll be short one. There's certainly a bit of warming effect here, but the alcohol is absent for a stout this big.

Fantastic flippin' brew. I'll be out to seek out a four-pack of fifteen of this - I'd love to see how it ages, although I can scarcely fathom is can improve much. Absolutely fantastic!

05-22-2009 02:12:42 | More by maximum12
jcnd9803

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

A- A smooth black color. A brief tan head appeared, but quicly left, leaving steady lacing with each sip.

S- Smells wonderful. Actually smells of both chocolate and vanilla, but with an oaky undertone, which is odd (but welcomed) considering no barrels are used. Maybe it's the alcohol coming up and disguising itself.

T - A mix of chocolate, vanilla, molasses and brown sugar.

M- Thick and silky. I actually don't get too much of an alcohol burn, which is scary.

D- In one word: outstanding. I love these guys and the series of stouts they put out each year. This beer is complex fresh and I'm sure will only be exponentially more so with some years on it. Job well done!

03-03-2010 04:20:30 | More by jcnd9803
Lauthaha

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Pours pitch-black in a nearly-molasses fashion. Head is a super-dark tan color, and recedes to about a 2mm coating on the surface of the beer. Leaves what looks like exception lacing (except I filled the beer to the top of the glass...haha, we'll have to wait and see).

Smell: Lots of toasted caramel and toffee malt flavor going on here. Then, a medium-dark chocolate tone which rings loudly. Espresso beans dot the scented canvas, and perhaps just a touch of spice is thrown in at the end for good measure. Almost no detectable alcohol. This is shaping up to be a winner!

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer goes in thickly, and quickly begins to carbonate on the tongue. Flavors flash repeatedly, interwoven with each other and yet set apart from all other flavors. A light sourness from what I assume are the hops is perfectly balanced with the chewy malt character and upper-crust espresso. Calming everything down is a strong (but not cloying) milk chocolate vibe. Beer finishes strongly, and leaves a strong aftertaste of chocolate and coffee. Another sip? Don't mind if I do.

Overall: At 12% ABV, this drinks like a pilsner (in terms of quaffability). Simply outstanding brew. I am a fan of RIS's, and this one fits into the category splendidly. GOOD job, Dark Horse.

04-22-2011 00:23:59 | More by Lauthaha
tpd975

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Got a couple of these recently in trade the most recent being my boy BeerTruth!

A: Pours as black as black can be. A thunderous three finger mocha colored head rises and shows good retention. Spotty lace is noted all the way down the glass.

S: Holy roast batman. This one is roasted to the max. Tons of roasted, almost charred malt. Rich bitter chocolate and over cooked coffee. There is a bit of sweet caramel below all of that though.

T: Insane. What a tasty brew. Tons of perfectly roasted chocolate malt. This one tastes like brownies. There are hints of coffee, vanilla and smoke as well. Hops show up in the finish with a small bitter blast. Damn Drinkable, and oh so tasty.

M: Perfect mouth feel. Big and bold, Rich and Creamy. Gives a new meaning to smooth.

D: Not a hint of the ABV. The taste is off the Richter scale. I reallly like this beer and am glad to have a few more laying around to share with the Tuesday night tasting group.

Plead The 5th = YUM!!!

07-10-2008 02:52:44 | More by tpd975
imperialbigswig

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Ok this is in my top 5 favorite RISs, probably my number 2, maybe even one if I could get my hands on more of them!!!
A- Jet black motor oil, head leaves in a hurry.
S- Dark chocolates and notes of coffee.
T- GTFOOH!!! Just so rich and bitterly chocolate.
M- thick, heavy dry and chewy, now that's what I want in an Imperial Stout!!
D- Hard drink more than one, just cuz they're so hard to find and such a heavy stout. But low drinkability is a hallmark of a great RIS!!
SIP on this one long and steady, if you can find it.

11-02-2008 21:05:21 | More by imperialbigswig
CarbonIS

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

As with most beers from Dark Horse, this imperial stout is a step above the others. Pouring a dark, creamy black, almost to the consistancy or oil, the Plead the 5th bottles that I have had recently have had the perfect amount of carbonation (or lack there of). Creamy and malty in feel, the aromas of this imperial stout smell of intense coffee and chocolate, but thankfully lack the intense bitterness of other imperial stouts that smell so strongly of coffee. Drinkability is fantastic, rich, almost chewy, and smooth. My basis for comparison, while it may be a high standard, for all other imperial stouts.

04-11-2010 02:17:33 | More by CarbonIS
MammothBrew

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a pint glass on 6/22/11.

A: Pours a burned oil color with tints of ruby(only while pouring). Holding it up, there's no light coming through this beauty. Very thin frothy layer. No head, no lacing.

S: Smokey chocolate malt with a strong coffee/espresso smell. Very faint boozy smell and no hop presence.

T: It's a chocolate attack to the face. Deep chocolate/cocoa flavor with some smooth smokey, roasted malt. Hints of coffee with a very light boozy finish.

M: Full body with little carbonation. Coats the mouth in a really, really chocolaty milk kind of way.

O: It's like a chocolate dessert drink for adults. This has become my favorite Imperial Stout, hands down. It's not very complex but it's straight to the point. Also, the high ABV is hidden pretty well. Nice job Dark Horse!

06-22-2011 05:45:37 | More by MammothBrew
Beerlover

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

A: pours pretty thick out of bottle, like a black snake, thick dark khaki head.
S: very faint on the aromas, picking up dark roasted malt of course slight bittersweet chocolate and booziness.
T: whoa! this is awesome! a perfect example in flavor of a r.i.s;! really nothing lacking in the flavor department, has a good roasty-ness not too much some sweet chocolate flavors no coffee or licorice to speak of but a touch of caramel and vanilla, and the a.b.v in this guys is very well masked, I'd guess it to be right around 7 to 7.5. the malt profile is great and I'm not picking up any hoppiness.
M: great! medium low to low carbonation, leaves a silky slickness on the palate, yum!
O.A. this is a delicious example of an American r.i.s., find it, buy it, try it, like it!

03-15-2014 00:19:50 | More by Beerlover
Copernicandream

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a bottle into a 12oz snifter. Fresh.

A: Impenetrable dark black, very minimal frothy head on a moderately aggressive pour that faded to nothing almost immediately <30 sec.

S: Chocolate, espresso, roasted malt, difficult to place - dark berries, red wine???

T: The taste is much more subdued than the smell. Essentially just heavy rich roasted malt. A little alcohol in the aftertaste. I get some dark chocolate bitterness, im sure hops are also involved but they're mild. The same ?blackberry, black raspberry, and what chilhood memories tell me are elderberries? come out with warmth - this is very subtle and I clearly am having a hard time nailing it down. Lets just say "dark fruit ester."

M: Full bodied, rich and creamy. Big bad beer. This is perfect, what you expect when you hear Imperial Stout. Moderate warmth from the 11%. Carbonation is mild and extremely fine.

O: Perhaps the, if not one of the best imperial stouts I have ever tasted. This blows the socks of Founders booze bomb, which I very much respect. Very complex and full bodied providing a filling feeling along with a complex palate. I can see why people wait in line for the BA version, it would likely be amazing.

03-07-2014 01:32:22 | More by Copernicandream