Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 890 | Hads: 2,996

I know it's not kosher to rate a beer a perfect 5, but I have no other choice! This, to me, is the perfect beer! It has a great citrus/piney beginning with a perfectly malty backbone that slides down the back of your tongue until your stomach is in a euphoric state! This IPA is the ultimate IPA and if you haven't tried it, you are truly missing out! I don't know if there is a brewery with a more well rounded selection of beers! (431 characters)

A simply beautiful IPA. Pours a uniquely orange-copper color with a two finger head that fades to a nice frothy cap which lasts throughout. Each sip renews the cap. Slight carbonation that lasts for the duration. Flavor matures as it sits in the glass. Wonderful aroma that isn't overdone as some IPAs can be. Not too floral. I've had some IPAs that are killer as far as taste goes but are nearly ruined by the floral aroma. Almost smells sugary without tasting as such. A little malty with a hint of caramel. Flavor stays on the back of the tongue but doesn't ruin the palate. Few IPAs are better and/or more balanced than this one. Very reminiscent of its sister beer, Double Crooked Tree, but not such a kick in the ass. Definitely one to have two or three of without feeling guilty. Can't find anything negative to say about this guy. Highly recommend. (871 characters)

I'm insulted the "pros" gave this an 89! Makes me really question the ratings here.

Anyways, this is by far my favorite beer and I've tried hundreds of craft beers. The smell is so amazing I cant even describe. In fact just try it for yourself. Great beer!! (260 characters)

L: Consumed from a Spiegelau glass: pours copper with thick, white head. Great lacing.

S: Perfect balance of hops

T: Everything I want in an IPA - balance of hops, malt; alcohol doesn't distract. Dry-ish, but not too dry finish. Great hop bitterness.

F: Smooth with moderate carbonation

O: Great balance in everything. (325 characters)

Picked this one up as a single. Singles at my favorite place are all individually priced and this one was one of the cheaper singles($1.90) While others of the 100 and 99pt beers usually run between $2.50-$6.00 I thought I would give it a go. And it was worth it.

This is a wonderful ipa. I rugged hint of chocolate at the beginning followed by a complex taste of carmels, malts, and hops, with a sweet malt finish.

Nice head.

My only disappointment is that this is not in pints. Oh well open two bottles at a time. (518 characters)

This is easily one of my personal favorite beers I have ever had. Have been a big fan for almost a year to it and am still pretty loyal to it and there are only a couple ipa's I have had that can hang or sit next to it. Its nice and bitter and has a lot of flavor. For the price I have yet to have one to be topped. This one is a MUST try, I guarantee you will at least enjoy it. (379 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +26.6%

Picked up in Detroit.

A: Orangish hue with about a finger of toffee color lacing with retaining head. Amazing.

S: Pine cones, needles, and trees. A wilderness smell.

T: Pines, earth, clean water, and alcohol. Exactly how I like my IPA

M: A creamy, full mouthfeel. This is a heavy IPA that still has a middling alcohol volume.

I am picky on IPA, but like a piney, and not overhopped, brew. This is as perfect a brew as I've seen at any price. (449 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +24.9%

After visiting the brewery last month, this was one of many bottles I brought back to Washington DC. I had it on tap at the brewery, but this review is from the bottle.

Poured into a pint glass, nice slight orange haze with a finger of head.
The aroma was insanely good. A variety of citrus notes. Tangelo for one.

Taste: A nice balance of hops and more hops, a little sweet, hints of malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel. I am never good at this part, but had a nice body, what you expect a great IPA to be.

Easily a top 3-5 IPA for me. I need to arrange a shipment of these to Washington!
Well done Dark Horse. (605 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +24.1%

A- a little cloudy and the sediment on the bottom made me feel like it was a homebrew.

S-the smell was delicious it had me salivating at the first whiff. The over powering aroma of a beautifully hopped IPA just added to the bitter sweet taste of this hazy copper ale

T- The taste was a great IPA id say a model that all IPA's should live by. Sweet on the lips and the tip of the toung and then a bitter lingering flavor that takes over the whole mouth

M- mouth feel was a bit dry but did not detract from the taste and smell of this great IPA.

D- one of my personal favorites out of the IPA genera i could drink it all day goes down smooth and just gets better and better all the way till the end.

over all one of my favorite IPA's out there (748 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearance- Deep, burnt orange color, complimented with a fluffy, cream colored head. Left a good amount of lacing.

Smell- Hops, and a little sweetness.

Taste- Floral and citrus hops are notable here. Nice and crisp.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability- I must say, this beer goes down nice and easy. I can easily see myself drinking six of these bad boys in an evening. One of my first, and one of my favorite IPAs. (410 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

Easily my favorite michigan IPA. It tastes extremely hoppy despite only being 39 IBUS. Heavy on the grapefruit and slight floral notes. Aftertaste does not have any lingering bitterness that isn't balanced perfectly against malt and grapefruit taste. (250 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Solid IPA, with great hops taste with an even body of to balance. My go to brew when I need an IPA fix. This brew is earthy, robust, and has a nice hops kicker. Great example of what an IPA shoud be without trying to overwhelm a brew with hops, but not drowning in other flavors. Crooked tree has got this IPA dialed in for the IPA fix. (336 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

on tap at the brewpub in Marshall. pours a hazy apricot color with a half finger of white head that leaves light lacings.

aroma is of rich and fresh hops with tropical undertones and a bit of bready malt. very fresh in the nose, with a bit of piney hops mixed in. wonderful.

taste follows the aroma with intense piney hops at first, followed by a smoothing citrus hop character and lightly tropical undertones. very fresh in character with borderline perfect mixing of a widely diverse palate of hop qualities.

mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a dry texture and a piney finish.

drinkability is great. this is an intensely hoppy brew with a wonderfully smooth character and a great semi-dry finish of residual hop resins. the freshness of the brew only accentuates the hops, producing one of the most well crafted IPA experiences of this BA's tenure. cheers! (868 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Amber gold with a slight haze, bottle conditioned, yeast sediment in the bottom. 1” foam cap dissipates fairly quick to film, produces excellent lace.
S: Citrus and bread.
T: Very fruity, juicy, plum with citrusy hop flavors dries out on the finish, a little bread in the background.
M: medium low carbonation, medium body a touch chalky, some light astringency.
O: Big flavor packed into an American IPA. (414 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

Appearance: Reddish-copper in color, looks like a glass of tea almost with an off-white head. Head stands well and looked as if I had some ice cream with my beer.

Smell: Lots of citrus and some piney notes, definitely similar to many other IPAs I've tasted. Slight maltiness, but not overwhelming at all.

Taste: Very well hopped with the slight maltiness and definite citrus. Hits the style spot on in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light in body. Doesn't have any harsh hoppiness that stays on the tongue after each sip.

Overall, great American IPA, one of my favorites for sure. Highly recommend giving this one a shot and not bad for a first IPA for someone. (709 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Deep gold in color witha frothy cream colored head. Assuming this is a non-filtered beer since there are many particles floating around in the beer.

S - Very floral and citrusy hop aroma's. Exactly what you would expect from a great IPA.

T - Has a light toffee-like malt flavor followed very quickly by a strong citrus flavor. Finishes with a nice hop bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with a light carbonation.

O - A wonderful, wonderful IPA. The flavors and aromas are spot on. This is what an American IPA should taste like. (531 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +19%

12 oz bottle served in a small goblet, Crooked Tree IPA is burnt orange with lots of floaties, and a small off-white head that quickly dissipates, leaving light lace.

Smell is good, a nice robust american hop profiles, citrus fruits accentuated by a nice sweetness from the malt, and a resiny backbone as well.

Taste is also good and hoppy, more balanced then the nose between the citrus and pine, with the fruit of the hops complimenting the crystal malt, but the bitterness bringing perfect balance. I normally dislike IPAs that are malty, but this one is excellent, very well made.

Mouthfeel is oily but a bit dry, with a medium body.

Drinkability is high, this is a fantastic IPA. I'm really impressed, one of the best I've had outside of the west coast. (764 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Imagine my surprise when I found this tasty little treat! I picked it up on a lark at Muggs Party Store in Grand Haven, and I was blown away! And I thought that Two Heart was the only IPA that I could ever score this high. Though not quite as smooth and balanced as a Bells Two Hearted Ale, this beer can hold its' own with any other IPA I've ever sampled. Now whenever I reach for an IPA six pack at my local beer store, I have 3 solid choices, Founders Centennial IPA, a Two Heart, or this little gem. (503 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: Cloudy dark orange/pumpkin color with one finger of a thick off-white head

Aroma: Tropical and citrusy hops, very bright and a little spicey almost

Taste/Mouthfeel: Lots of citrus balanced nicely with sweet malts. Mouthfeel is medium to full and slightly creamy

Notes: Definitely drinkable. The beer is very light and tastes/feels good (352 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Burnt cloudy copper hue,1 finger of thin white head, unfiltered with a good amount of sediment in the initial pour, more so than others noted for their sediment.sticky lacing.

Solid grapefruit aroma with some pine in there and only a hint of bread in the background.

Grapefruit,peach and pine are the predominant flavors with some herbal notes,very hop forward and crisp.

Good mouthfeel, medium, well carbonated to move the flavors along.Delightful dry finish with a good dose of enjoyable bitterness.

Crooked Tree IPA is a great example of the style, and I am also on board with the Brothers World Class rating, worthy of higher BA ratings. Highly recommended and very enjoyable. (684 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18%

6-pack from the Sharon Square store

A-nice copper color with minimal head

S-not overpowering, hop variety not specified on label but might be centennial

T-not very carbonated which is a plus - smooth ala real ale

M-incredible on the palate, not too malty yet very balanced

D-this rivals the best and easily could be something you could drink everyday

Once again a Michigan brewery hits the mark (402 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18%

Bought a Sixtel of this for the bar.

A- Cloudy orange almost like a Guiness the way it settled.

S- Hop madness, piny & citrus explosion!

T- Heaven, but seriously, very hoppy and somewhat bitter, nice.

M- Perfect on the palate, taste stays with ya for some time.

D- Smooth drinking a special IPA! (300 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: From a twelve ounce bottle and into a pint glass is a hazy copper color with a nice two fingers of head that retains well.

Aroma: A citrusness with a dry floral hopiness in the nose. Heavy grapfruit notes with malts letting out a carmel aroma with a touch of sourness in the finish.

Taste: Floral and citrusy hopiness. A crisp yet a little buttery mouthfeel. Piney and grapefruit.
The malts let out only a little sweetness. The finish has a pleasant dryness to it. To round it all out it's very drinkable.

Notes: This i.p.a is very well done glad I picked this one up. Cheers. (591 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look:
Quite effervescent after pouring from 12oz. bottle. Nice lacing after the head deflated. Hazy copper color that is darker than expected.

Smell:
Strong floral hops. Slight caramel notes and tart fruit.

Taste:
Strong bitterness greets you at first sip (but not very high on the IBU scale). After the bitterness fades, sweet malt and caramel flavors come through at the end. Citrusy notes creep up and, upon fading, finishes slightly dry

Feel:
Great mouthfeel. Fuller than expected and pleasing to the tongue. Light – Medium.

Overall:
I really liked this IPA and my first sample from Dark Horse. I saw this in a Michigan Meijers store on vacation and gave it a try. (684 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16%

A- Pours out a cloudy orange with lots of sediment in the bottom of the bottle (didn't expect that). A finger of puffy white head lingers for a while and leaves sheets of white lacing.

S- A delicious and strong whiff of hops- grapefruit, flesh only, not pith; blood orange; a touch of evergreen.

T- Hops forward in the taste as well. A little more pithy though in the taste, and without the orange. There is a good amount of carmel too which didn't come out in the smell. I like the balance.

M- Bitterness is strong on the sides of the tongue. Creamy but also more carbonated than expected. Do I like the tingling? It's interesting, I might prefer more mouth coating, but it does relieve the bitterness which I like...the verdict isn't out yet, but hopefully that's enough info to decide for yourself.

D- I'm loving the hops profile on this one. I really enjoying the taste on this one. The mouthfeel is great. Delicious- initially the bitterness was harsh for me, but as the beer warms up (along with the hightened carbonation) it becomes a delicious silky mess. (1,067 characters)

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company