Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 891 | Hads: 2,998
1.24/5  rDev -68.5%

a: poured into a wide snifter with decent head. Dark and packed with unflocculated yeast.

s: you smell some hops, but nothing but bittering bops...zero aroma hops

t: dark bitter yeast!

M: heavy and over carbonated..

O: Maybe there was a contamination in the 6 bottles, but I will not take a chance in the future.

Serving type: bottle (338 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -54.6%

You know what sucks? when you haven't invested in a dating system for your bottles...

A: Tanned copper ale with excellent clarity until suddenly an unusually large yeast cake follows thru on the last ounce or so. Two finger, loosely packed, peanut head dissipates in a minute or two and leaves a medium sheet of the same. spotty lacing.

S: Grassy, hay-like hops over malts. Yep, that's about it. The beer is not like typical IPA with aromatic hops you usually get in the mid palate and upfront.

T: Caramel malts, sweet. Bitter background. Some resiny flavors.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation.

O: I fear that this beer is old. But I can't tell. So, I have to assume it's average in freshness for the consumer. The result: this is a bland, plain IPA. More like an amber with extra early bittering hops. (813 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -40.1%

Many thanks to GordianKnot for the chance to try this beer. Poured from 12oz bottle into my DFH snifter. Ugliest IPA pour I have ever seen- pours a murky dark dishwater dirty brown color. A little bit of head, barely any retention. I can only assume that this is a really old bottle, or something has gone terribly wrong with this one. After it gets into the glass, it looks like dirty brown dishwater, pretty disgusting. Smell- applejuice, some spices from the hops. Faint breadiness from the malt. Taste- gross. this is like applesauce gone wrong. You get some sweet flavors from the malt, and some bitterness from the hops, but this does not even resemble an IPA. This is a drainpour. I can only assume this is some sort of quality control issue after reading the reviews. (775 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -39.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy deep orange color with a foamy 2 finger, off white head. Decent creamy foam lacing left on the glass.

Nose is piny, resiny hops. Not very strong but they are there.
A little caramel malt to balance the hops but it doesn't take much because, as mentioned, the hops aren't all that strong.

The taste follows along with the nose except the hops are even more subdued. Slight piny hops followed by a moderate sweetness from the malt. A hint of bitterness at the finish but that fades as well.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel. A hint of bitterness at the end but smooth nonetheless.

Body-wise this beer is fine but the hops flavors (and malt flavor for that matter) are lacking. Not really what I've come to expect from an IPA. (803 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -38.3%

Orange. Strange smelling, hoppy with a large emphasis on fruits, apricots and peaches in particular. Not much in the nose besides hops. Flavor is more of the same. Straight hop juice and not much else. Hoppiness brings forth various fruit notes (apricot, peach and lemon). Dry. Severely lacking malt flavor and body. Fizzy. (323 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Now who is the crook? Pours a very cloudy orange color with some lighter tan highlights. A soft wheat head with limited retention and lacing overall.

The nose is very muddled. Some piney note up front with a odd fruity hop/ester on the back end. Mostly apricots and peaches but some cherries and a almond nutty aroma. Some off yeast notes, cardboard/oxidation but not over the top. The malt is light but is really hard to pick out.

The taste is similar but not as muddled. Malt comes out with a sweet flavor but hard to really pick out distinct flavors. The hops are really off. A good bitterness up front but does not blend well/support the piney and floral hop finish. Some weird floral and apricot notes that just don't blend. There is a stronger yeast flavor that doesn't help on the back end.

The body is moderate to light. Good carbonation. Overall there is just something funky going on here. The malt is muddle and lacks the base for the hops. And the hop finish is just off with some off yeast and floral notes. Crooked for sure. (1,041 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Was excited to try this beer given it's high BA score, but I was so disappointed. The appearance and mouthfeel were average. The smell was musky, earthy, with some hay and straw notes. The taste was similar, with a lot of bitter citrus as well. I consider myself quite a "hophead," but this was far to bitter and unbalanced for me. (331 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Paid $8.49 for a 6 pack of 12oz bottles from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. This is the 3rd beer I've had from the pack and it is the one I am reviewing. I pour into a standard pint glass.

Leaves just over an inch of white pillowey head. Very cloudy and opaque. A light brownish, burnt orange color. Some moderate head retention.

Nose is somewhat light for an IPA. A toned down citrus pine aroma. Nothing too impressive here.

As with the nose, this is a rather unimpressive IPA. Some raw barley hints reminiscent of a B-Level brewpub. Balancing malty background. The flavors in this one are just quite mild.

Medium body with some grittiness leaving a lasting aftertaste that is more malty than hoppy. OK carbonation.

One of the sites I remember finding out about this one from had it rated like an A- I believe. I just don't get it. (841 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -34.8%

A: Pours a hazy amber-orange, with one finger + of foamy white head. Decent lacing.

S: Citrus hops stand out here: grapefruit and pineapple in particular. Notes of pine, flowers, and caramel also detectable.

T: Resoundingly bitter; little definition of any hop flavors here outside of a bit of grapefruit. Some caramel malt flavor comes through, but with little sweetness; largely unbalanced.

M: Thin body, moderate carbonation, smooth.

D: Drinkability of this one was quite low; I had a hard time finishing my glass considering the great one-dimensionality of the bitterness.

Might need to return to this in the future, if I find one that I know is particularly fresh. (674 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -33.5%

Eh, tasted like 3 month old Hop Devil. Kinda disappointed, the best thing was it looked good, no nose at all, a malt bomb IPA. Won't buy again. So many better IPA's out there I'll give the 5 remaining bottles away. I was hoping for something kinda fruity and what I got was a mess. (281 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -33.5%

To be honest I only had one bottle...
The Color was murky for sure... a Murky Yellow/Orange... Not what I expected from an IPA.
The smell was kind of sour and that is what really turned me off. The taste was as I might expect... a little Murky and Sour!
Half way though the Glass I noticed what I thought I left in the bottle... Floating Sediment. Down the Drain it went.
With the high ratings this site gives this beer I am planning to give it another shot... I will update if I have a different experience... (512 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Maybe I got a bad bottle not entirely sure as the date was super hard to read. But to me this tasted like a unbalanced Carmel bready mess. Would like to try again at some point just based on reviews on here but for now one of the worse ipa I have had (250 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -31.2%

Some citrus notes to start. Not a lot.

Light mouthfeel, which I tend do like. A little more carbonation than most Am.IPAs - and I don't like a lot of carbonation.

Up-front, immediate bitterness, but fades quickly with not much backing it up. No complexity. Virtually no aftertaste - unusual for an Am.IPA.

Meh. OK. Non-offensive, but nothing to recommend a 2nd turn... (372 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -31.2%

12 oz bottle poured into tumbler

A – Hazy orange. Lighter rather than darker, Half a finger head.

S – Not overall very fragrant. Hints of citrus and florals. Somewhat dank

T – For an IPA, really light on the bitterness and other hop characteristics. Has nice citrus flavors and a clean finish.

M – Has a great mouth feel. Plenty of carbonation and full bodied.

O – Overall disappointing after seeing the great reviews. Not a bad beer by any standard but I like an IPA with a great balance between different hops and malts. This beer is fairly streamlined from what I can gather. (595 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured this one into a pint glass. The pour is darker than I expected from an IPA. Dark orange and cloudy. The pour gives a thin white head and spotty lacing. The aroma is bitter through and through with hints of grass,citrus and an undertone of sweet malts. I'm really into the way this smells, especially since I don't know how old it is. The taste is bitter from start to finish with just a hint of juiciness. Not bad, but not very complex at all. The mouthfeel is thin and watery. I thought this looked heavier than it is. I'm typing this as I'm drinking it and I'm not sure that I'm going to finish. It's not the worst beer I've had but I liked the Double Crooked Tree a lot more and I've got other stuff I'm itching to have. (730 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.7%

A customer recently dropped this off - kind of like a bolt from the blue. Did not know the guy from Adam, but he started chatting up one of my bartenders and was impressed with our beer offerings. I had high hopes for this beer when I saw other member reviews, but overall really did not like the somewhat soapy hop character. Stays in your mouth for a long time like a woman with too much perfume on her skin after nibbling on her neck. I did like the fact that the beer was quite dark for an IPA and that it was unfiltered. Looking to try other offerings from this brewery. (575 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

Got this bottle from the wyck.

a- one finger head with a bit of sediment sinking to the bottom after the pour. bubbles rising but quick quickly made me forget about that sediment. a really nice appetizing copper color. the lace isn't too shabby either.

s- smells like mild pine nuts.

t- i was let down. there was no date on the bottle that i could find. i'm hoping that this was not fresh because i had high expectations for this IPA. there is some definite hop character but nothing to write home to the neighbors about.

m- mostly flat. there is a trace of the hops that might have been there once

d- it was easy to put this one down and i could do another two or three. but i don't want another. (705 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle Inspection: Simple cartoon looking tree, no information at all.

Aroma: Slightly worty malt base spiked with a floral grassy hop perfume with a hint of tea.

Appearance: Thick flakes of… something make the rounds in a dark cloudy orange glass. Solid finger of meringue head laces heavily. Flakes are dark, they don’t look like protein coagulation, a bit disturbing. As the head settles, there are dark particulates suspended in it like dirty snow.

Flavor: Heavy bittering hop, firm tea flavor, mild malt base. There’s a heavy orange peel element and some earthy tea flavors that make me think English hops. As it warms up a bit, some of the worty under-attenuated malt flavor comes out.

Mouthfeel: Heavy carbonation, over carbonated really, medium body, fairly clean finish.

Overall Impression: Too many off elements here to really enjoy this one. The unidentified floating objects don’t help, the dark dusting in the head is a new one for me, the heavy use of bittering hops rather than flavor or aroma hops is counter to the way I prefer my IPAs, and the English rather than American IPA profile has me confused.
Looking at other reviews, it’s possible I got a bad bottle, but no date on the label has me wondering if it is possibly old. In my book, no date = brewer takes the hit. It’s sad, after all that, the basic flavor is pretty good, but everything else really brought down my score. (1,409 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

No date. 12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Pours a very hazy and cloudy burnt orange, lots of sediment and floaties; nice head the slightly fades and decent lacing. Tons of orange and resin with a good amount of pine. Lots of caramel and malts. The flavors are completely one dimentional and aren't really too bold.. well for 6% the flavors are bold, just not enjoyable for my palate. Very sticky. Mouthfeel is fine, smooth but maybe a tad overboard on the fizz. Not sure if this was fresh or not, but either way the flavors just didn't do it for me.

I really like what Dark Horse does, but I personally just don't like these kind of IPAs. I'd much rather have a Double Crooked Tree IPA. (688 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A: Pours a dark amber, darker than most any other IPA that I have come across. Nice two finger white head with excellent retention and lacing.

S: I don't really know what to make of the smell, not very pleasant in my opinion. Smells fairly medicinal, with only a hint of citrus.

T: Somewhat lack luster for me. It was ok, but nothing special. The hop flavor was not very pronounced and was covered up a lot by the high level of carbonation. Some malt on the finish, but not much.

M: Very light and soft on the tongue, way too much carbonation.

D: Ehhh, this beer has potential, but overall was a let down and has some major flaws. The double crooked tree is done much, much better and would be my go to beer from dark horse. It's amazing that simply "doubling the ingredients" can make such a drastically different and better beer. (863 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -26.4%

I've been pretty partial to IPA for quite sometime. This one, however, hit the palate quite flat. The initial draw rewards the tongue with the briskness that an IPA has, but the mid-palate and finish is let down by a disappointing sour.

The color was also a disappointment; it poured a darker amber than any IPA I've seen and attribute the taste differences with other IPAs with the color changes.

All in all, simply, I wouldn't buy it again for what I paid for it. It's 'drinkable,' but once it's out of my fridge it will not be returning. (543 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured with a caramel colored remainder out of the bottle to a decent head, sticky lace and a cloudy, dark, almost apple cider like appearance. Subdued hop scent was about it. Maybe a little sweet scent at the back. Mouth was creamy, with a nice not overpowering burn. Undefined aftertaste of just a hoppy burn. Hmmm.

Taste was subdued hops, with a bitter edge but a hole in the middle. There was a little malt to hold up what seems like sugary water that had hops floated in it.

An extremely average IPA. Last weekend I had some of the best IPAs I have ever tasted, so there is a high bar set for me. This one was well under. (630 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance and Smell-Poured a deep orange and left a thick 1/2 head with dissipated quickly. Settled a very opaque orange with little carbonation. Some particle presence in the glass. It smelled mainly of pineapple and citrus with some malty sweetness behind it.

Taste and Mouthfeel-Tasted as it smelled like an abundance of pineapple, very fruity. Left pretty strong hop bitterness which threw a nice counter at the sweetness, just not enough to balance this.

Drinkability-I don't think i could drink alot of this, just wasn't too exciting. Became very flat very fast. (618 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -25.9%

Sadly, no date on the bottle, so no idea how old it is. Need to stop buying un-dated IPAs.

Pours a very dark amber, with a big fluffy yellowish cream-colored head. Great retention and loads of lacing. But the downside, it has a massive amount of sediment in it. So much that, despite a careful pour, my glass still looked like my one-year-old had backwashed in it. I generally like bottle conditioning, but this stuff has more crud at the bottom of it than my homebrew. Unfortunate, as it would be a very pretty beer without all the floaties.

Smell is pretty faint, rather malty, honey sweetness. A bit of fruity citrus and piney hops, but faint enough that it's hard for me to pull them out.

Taste is quite malty and sweet. In fact, if I tasted this without knowing what it was, I wouldn't peg it as an IPA. Malts carry the flavor throughout, with a nudge of bitterness on the back-end the only real indication there are hops in it. It's not even what I'd call balanced, it's got a gaping hole where the hops should be. Finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, a little sticky, with not enough carbonation.

I'm not impressed. Very malty, and not very flavorful. And doesn't taste at all like an IPA. It's quite possible that this bottle is past its prime. But without a date on it, who's to know? I suppose that's the risk the brewer and the buyer take. (1,375 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -25.9%

pours into my glass lookng like a water sample taken from a river. dark murky with lots of floaters. the only thing i liked about the look was the two finger head. smells like pine, cut grass and citrus. taste is kinda sweet at first than turns slightly dry and bitter. mouthfeel is pretty nice. crisp, clean and smooth with a dry finish. overall it's alright. dont know if i'll buy it again. (392 characters)

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company