Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
Stinkypuss

Pours copper in color with a good sized head and some lacing. In the nose, herbal and floral hops. This pulls through in the flavor, with grapefruit, zest and herb all making their presence known. A solid drinking IPA with a good balance of bitterness and malt sweetness. A nice beer from Dark Horse.

11-03-2010 14:38:08 | More by Stinkypuss
OtherShoe2

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a dirty brownish orange with an off-white foamy head. Some lacing, some rising bubbles. I give most appearances decent ratings, even shitty beers, but this is really hard. This is ugly beer.

Nice floral and grapefruit hop aromas. Great toasted malt scents, and some light fruit aroma mingling in there. Nice.

Juicy fruit and citric rind dominate, with a great balance between the hop and the malt. The sharp bite of bitterness is counterblanced with some fruit, some bread toast, and a hop finish. Good IPA.

Medium to medium-full body. Some prickly carbonation helps keep this drinkable. Nothing cloying or out of place. A very worthy IPA.

11-01-2010 12:42:34 | More by OtherShoe2
Franz4

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

A- murky brown, lots of sediment, pours a thin head that fades rapidly to just a thin layer.

S- nose is slightly sweeter than I expected, malt comes through with some grassy hops, a little citrus.

T- hops come through a touch more piney than the nose suggests

M- medium bodied and resiny, aftertaste lingers strongly, sediment leaves noticeable traces as well.

D- Average at best, a little sediment can be good, but this seems to be extreme and really brings the beer down.

11-01-2010 01:39:18 | More by Franz4
msjacilynn

3.9/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: hazy-amber orange with plenty of sediment. To be honest, I get really excited to see a touch of sediment in my glass. :o)

S: really didn't get much in terms of smell... definitely citrus, pine and some floral but nothing jumps out at your nose.

T: hops hit right away and last quite awhile after. tiny hint of caramely-sweetness that dissipates quickly.

M: carbonation felt perfect but I thought it was a tad thin and watery

D: I found this to be quite a drinkable IPA and would definitely see myself drinking a few...a bit high in ABV for a session brew, but 2 or 3 would be a great way to wind down after a long day.

10-28-2010 23:12:59 | More by msjacilynn
gregshead

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Copper color. Presented with a half finger thick head. Nothing too out of the ordinary but also fit the style very well.

S: Strong Cascade hops smell/pine and grapefruit smells

T: Low levels of pine and fruit which makes me think they use some hop extract to make it come out in smell stronger than the taste. There are large levels of bready malts. No bite at the end. Just sweetness from the malts finish this one.

M: Nice carbonation on the middle of my tongue. A little syrupy in mouthfeel but not that much.

D: Its drinkable but for an IPA its too much on the sweet side. Disappointing as it offered so much in look and smell. Maybe the hops had died down from the tap I got but that was my experience with it.

10-25-2010 04:51:16 | More by gregshead
aerozeppl

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Weird pour. The bottom of my glass is a deep yellow while the top is a rich copper color. poured with a half finger of white head.

S: Kind of a tight nose on this. Hops are certainly there but I really cannot pick out anything in particular. Fairly clean malt profile as well.

T: Really quite balanced. It is a little hop forward but there is a ton of tea like malt. The hops are interesting in this beer. They are there the whole time but it really is not a hop bomb. Really interesting tasting beer.

M: Lacks the stickiness I like in my IPAs but it helps drinkability a little bit. Good carbonation.

D: A very interesting IPA. Sort of a cross between a west coast and east coast IPA. I only got the single bottle but it is a good IPA. One I would want to try on draft.

10-16-2010 22:06:01 | More by aerozeppl
Lillenk

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance is good. Dark tan golden color with almost no haziness.

Has a great smell of hops and citrus.

Taste is great. Lots of hops. Lots of citrus. A little lighter than I prefer for a IPA.

Very light bodied for and IPA but that makes it very easy to drink.

10-16-2010 18:03:20 | More by Lillenk
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Pours a thick tan orange color with an average head. It's hard to gauge the carbonation due to the thickness of the color and the sediment floating around. There was a ton of it. Unfiltered and not hiding that fact.

S- Floral hops and notes of citrus. Slight pine aroma. Caramel as well.

T- Hop bitterness instantly, and some sweetness as well. Has a really nice aftertaste that lasts well too. Definitive hops and a malt that keeps it balanced. Delivers the taste in a very smooth fashion as it all tastes smooth and easy. Before long, I found I had a great pine aftertaste in my mouth. Everything was quite balanced, and while it didn't offer the same initial hop kick that many beers have, it gives you a hop taste that develops after you've drank it.

M- Medium body. Considerably creamy, and the carbonation works well.

D- Great for an IPA. Goes down easy without lacking flavor. Leaves you with a great aftertaste. Not gonna give you a hop "bite", but it will deliver tons of hops in a smooth fashion.

10-08-2010 22:21:30 | More by BBP
kirkpjr

Alabama

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to Jayli for this one.

Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours 2 and 1/2 fingers of frothy head. Color is orange and copper - slightly hazy until I poured the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. Abundant lacing.

S: Hops are light - floral and pine. Fairly present sweet caramel malts.

T: Crisp, light, and bitter - all good things except this one tastes almost a little watered down to me. Soft citrus and floral flavors, with a faint, sweet malts backbone.

M: Moderate carbonation. A little thin on body, this one just felt a little watery to me.

D: This one had so much potential from the start, but just fell short in body for me. Easily drinkable and sessionable, but the body and feel just wasn't there.

10-08-2010 01:01:32 | More by kirkpjr
xnicknj

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - Pours a surprisingly hazy golden orange with some reddish tones. A one finger high head fades into a film as a small bit of lacing dots around the glass.

S - Sweet fruity hops and malt with citrus.

T - Plenty of juicy hops with fruit character to start. The citric qualities break through with notes of oranges and grapefruit. A slightly sweet malt base carries through towards the finish. Wraps up with some lingering hoppiness and dry bite.

M - Bubbly up front, fuller medium body, some dryness towards the end.

D - The lower alcohol helps, as well as the tasty flavors. A pretty smooth IPA.

Pretty solid, well rounded beer in each aspect. Another one I wish we had in NJ.

10-07-2010 23:56:36 | More by xnicknj
andrewsporter

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

So I was at the liquor store and I decided I'd stray from my beloved Two Hearted. You've been warned, I've got my baby in the back of my mind ;)

Appearance: Pouring the beer it looks EXCELLENT. It looks thick, cloudy, lots of stuff floating around, etc. The head looks good from the pour, but it dissipated pretty quickly which disappointed a bit. I'm a huge fan of lacing which this beer seemed to lack.

Smell: Good stuff, I didn't notice much but I'll be honest and say my allergies are pretty damn ripe right about now mid-autumn.

Taste: It's got a good bite. Not impressed but not let down. I can't really explain, but I'd like it to be a hint sweeter, or a ton more bitter. The hops just seemed *empty* if that even makes any sense at this point...

Mouthfeel: EXCELLENT. Quite thick, yet not syrupy, just as the appearance would suggest.

Drinkability: Yeah, I could kick back six of these and it would be a pretty good night...

Overall I think the appearance and the mouthfeel of this beer are the highlights.

10-06-2010 03:09:19 | More by andrewsporter
DoctorDog

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Presentation: From a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic. Thanks to beveritt for passing this one along to help feed the disease.

A- Hazy amber. Pours with ~1 finger of off-white head, which fades gradually to a thin cap.

S- Full of piney, grapefruit hopiness, with bits of caramel sweetness sneaking through.

T- Solid pine resin/citrus peel notes provide a nice bitterness, backed by a surprisingly balancing, sweet caramel malt counter-punch. Really nice.

M- Moderate carbonation and a medium-slightly full feel. Creamy...quite excellent.

D- Very good. An overall winner....was quite sad to have only one on hand...wanted another when it was gone.

Future outlook: I loved their huge barleywine and their potent DIPA....the George Harrison tune that runs through my head every time I have their products notwithstanding, I must add this to the list of Dark Horse products that demand my repeat business.

10-03-2010 03:43:07 | More by DoctorDog
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.74/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bright yellow but sturdy pour, lots of foam that is super sticky. Aroma was bitter.

Taste, big bitterness, not so much hop exposure on this one. Doesn't seem to have any caramel presence to it, which is pretty close to being standard these days in an ipa. Super astringent grapefruit. Got easier to drink the more I had of it. Goes great with bratwurst. Definitely not a west coast ipa, just goes for bitterness. I can call it metallic, but its non offensive. Maybe mine was a little old, it definitely had some good size chunkeez in the bottle.

Overall, too much bitterness and yeast not offset by legitimate hop mouthfeel.

10-01-2010 04:25:58 | More by Beerandraiderfan
DavoleBomb

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a snifter.

4.5 A: Murky orange brown copper color. Two fingers of creamy head with excellent retention and tons of lacing. Reallly nice.

4.5 S: Really nice. Big hoppiness with tons of orange, pineapple, grapefruit, pine, and herbal aroma. However, this smells great because of what else is included in addition to the hops. Fairly strong caramel and the yeastiness works really well in this unfiltered brew.

3.5 T: This is tasty, but is a bit disappointing after experiencing the nose. The citrusy hops don't pop as strongly and the maltiness isn't quite as strong as I'd hoped. The yeastiness is still there in good amounts and would be fine if the other components were more powerful. Bitterness level is low for an IPA. Decent amount of orange flavor from hops. Malts are a bit bready with touches of caramel.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Good creaminess. Overall, good here.

4.0 D: I'm not sure how old this is. I imagine it's relatively fresh, but I really have no idea. It sat in my cellar for a month after being given to me as an extra in a trade (thanks!). Still, this is a good overall IPA, but the bottle conditioning does tend to cover up some of the hop flavor.

10-01-2010 04:15:43 | More by DavoleBomb
Anthony1

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

The beer is a murky yellowish brown color with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass. The aroma is heavy with a strong hops smell, along with some citrus and caramel notes. The taste is very well-balanced with a decent hops bitterness, citrus sweetness and caramelized malt. The hops flavor isn't as strong as the smell leads you to believe, but there's enough there to know you're drinking an American IPA, maintain the beer's balance and not over-power you with bitterness. The malt character is hearty. The after-taste is slightly hoppy with a little bit of sweetness. Very smooth with a little crispness, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish. Tasty, goes down very easy, not very filling, very good representation of style, what the beer lacks in aesthetics, it makes up for in drinkability. I could certainly drink a good number of these and stick with it for an evening.

09-28-2010 16:30:56 | More by Anthony1
twiggamortis420

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Pours a hazed, dark gold color with a creamy cap of beige head. Foam stays around awhile and does leave some lacing behind.

Nose is earthy caramel with a bright blast of citric hops. Very biscuity and smells like this will be an IPA with a firm malt backbone.

Yup, lots of toffee and caramel sweetness with a bit of toast up front and then a coating, lingering hop bittering comes on strong. Some hop flavors, but not as much as I would like. Most notable to me is the dichotomy of the earthy malt base and the vibrant hop character, they play interestingly well off each other...kinda like saltwater taffy wrapped around a fresh hop cone. The more I drink it the more I like it...a little swirling knocks some of the carbonation out and gives it a smoother, hoppier mouthfeel. Good IPA here, would like to give it a go on tap next time I find myself up north.

09-25-2010 17:13:19 | More by twiggamortis420
alkemy

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Had this one on tap at Smokey Bones today. Just the slightest haziness to this amber/orange brew with a finger of off-white head...colors probably appeared darker than actual due to low lighting. Super aroma consisting of grapefruit and pine. Very hop forward scent, which I'm a big fan of. As far as taste, the hops come across mostly as grapefruit rather than the pine that your nose told you to expect. This is seriously easy drinking and the bittery sweet finish paired perfectly with my smoked wings. Without question, I will have this again.

09-25-2010 02:01:20 | More by alkemy
youngleo

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured to a two fingered thick bubbly head. Head was tan in color. Ale itsself was very hazy with lots of floaties, and light brown in color. Head hung around quite a while and had some good lacing. Smelled of caramel, also had a slight citrus pine smell. I thought the smell was kind of light. To me it tasted more of a Brown Ale. Had a bitter aftertaste. Also notes of pine, caramel, yeast and a slight citrus taste. I thought it also had a sweet flavor in there also. Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was good. Id buy again. I just think it was nothing out of the ordinary. I expected more of a hoppy citrus taste and it wasnt there.

09-18-2010 17:38:52 | More by youngleo
rembrant

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Look,hazy gold,nice peppy head about 2 finger

Aroma...Hops lead the nose and as I expected Dark Horse's hop mix is a bit different from most yet still is IPA. There's the piney woods tone but also something herbal.

Flavor...As the nose warns,the taste is hops up front,a real flavorful hops,resiny,fresh tasting,sort of like in Yakima Twilight,for flavor if not intensity. The Malt bill is probably pale and some Caramel and mostly sings background to the Hops show. That's expected in an IPA and Crooked Tree does it nicely. I tend to favor a dark IPA with a bit more malt side but as Hop Happiness goes this is quite elegant. You get the sense they fussed a bit to get just the right hops.

Mouth Pretty good for an IPA. I don't expect chewy-creamy but having a sense of substance is a plus and this has it. The Hops aimed more for big flavor than big bitter,they linger ,then shut off after a minute or so.

Drinkable....If you are easily hop-stunned you probably avoid IPA,but this is not an extreme Hop hit,it's generally a primo IPA and IPA's by design are quite drinkable

That the ABV and price are moderate is another plus.

09-09-2010 14:15:54 | More by rembrant
u2carew

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at Cambridge Common. Supposedly the keg kicked so we'll see how it goes...
A) Arrived with a finger thick head. Tight. Creamy. Hazy body - looks more like a Hegel than an IPA. Copper in color.
S) Citrus notes- grapefruit. Pinkeye like a Christmas tree.
T) Pretty bold hop bite upfront. The malts poke through just barely after the hops subside. Grapefruit. Subtle caramel. Towards the end malts fade out leaving a prominent bitterness on the tongue.
M) medium body. Fizzy but somewhat creamy.
D) Delicious. Pour me another barkeeper!

08-28-2010 21:51:32 | More by u2carew
Bendurgin

Maine

2.7/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured this one into a pint glass. The pour is darker than I expected from an IPA. Dark orange and cloudy. The pour gives a thin white head and spotty lacing. The aroma is bitter through and through with hints of grass,citrus and an undertone of sweet malts. I'm really into the way this smells, especially since I don't know how old it is. The taste is bitter from start to finish with just a hint of juiciness. Not bad, but not very complex at all. The mouthfeel is thin and watery. I thought this looked heavier than it is. I'm typing this as I'm drinking it and I'm not sure that I'm going to finish. It's not the worst beer I've had but I liked the Double Crooked Tree a lot more and I've got other stuff I'm itching to have.

08-26-2010 01:44:20 | More by Bendurgin
Bonis

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A - A cloudy dark orange with yeast sediment suspened throughout. Half finger head fades after a couple of minutes to a thin layer of bubbles. Looks a lot like a DIPA.

S - Sweet citrus and pine hops jump out, very fruity with some malty characteristics. A touch of floral hints should be noted as well. Smells similar to the Double, but not as intense.

T - Taste follows the smell in this one. Pretty hoppy throughout, but honestly the malts kind of jump out at you. They combine to make a nice fruity characteristic that is amazingly refreshing and super well balanced.

M - It leaves a nice sweet crisp hop bitterness in the mouth, but this one is big bodied in my opinion for what it is.

D - Pretty good, but it drinks a little bigger than it is at 6%. I'll definitely have it again, but probably would rather have their Double Crooked Tree in the end. All in all, this is an IPA that should be tried if you have access to it.

08-24-2010 23:30:22 | More by Bonis
stewart124

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a hazy orange that is almost amber. Nice lace along the top of the glass already.

Nose is full of citrus, pine, and fruity esters.

First sip is full of body and a complex malt bill. Plenty of hop bitterness to accentuate the loads of caramel sweetness. I am digging this maltiness. Pine lingers on the tongue but followed by a nice caramel note it is very easy to drink.

Terrific IPA! Another great one from the state of Michigan!

08-23-2010 02:17:51 | More by stewart124
LiquidCucumber

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Very cloudy caramel, just a few shades lighter than its big brother: Double Crooked Tree. Small head that fades away quickly but leaves decent lacing.

S - Citric hops up front with a definite warm malt characteristic after the blast of hops. Pine and grassy earth are also prominent.

T - Resiny, earthy and very citrusy. Surprisingly well balanced while still showcasing the plethora of hop characteristics. A very pleasant level of bitterness.

M - The beginnings of something great. Leaves a very nice tingle on the back of the tongue and coats the mouth with piny hops.

D - Very very drinkable and reminds me quite a bit of the Double (supposedly just a doubling of this recipe). The balance of this beer is probably what leads the Double to be more of a barleywine than DIPA.

08-20-2010 03:12:59 | More by LiquidCucumber
VelvetExtract

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

A-Dark copper with a quickly diminishing bubbly head.

S-Pretty hoppy. Grapefruit, bubblegum, clementine.

T-Smooth with some pretty tasty flavors. Like the nose there are tastes of grapefruit, orange peel, and I'm definately getting a bubblegum taste in there as well. The taste is very nice but not very powerful. More complex than many IPAs I've had but not as strong.

M-More carbonated than expected. Nice medium body.

D-Very, very drinkable. A bit pricey in my area but well worth the fee.

08-18-2010 03:07:33 | More by VelvetExtract